|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
OSAGE CITY, PART 2.
Signal Lodge, No. 41, A., F. & A. M., was instituted in February 1873, under dispensation, and was chartered on the 16th of the following October. The first officers were: S. L. Myers, W. M.; T.. B. Haslam, S. W.; D. M. Clemmer, J. W.; W. L. Smith, Treas.; W. H. Dodds, Sec.; W. A. Cotterman, S. D.; H. B. Miller, J. D.; J. N. Watkins, T. The above were the only charter members. The membership is now about sixty, and the lodge is in a prosperous condition. For the close of the year 1882, H. B. Miller is W. M., and Eli Bernheimer, Sec.
Osage Royal Arch Chapter, No. 46, R. A. M., was instituted early in the year 1880, with the following officers; T. B. Haslam, H. P.; D. H. Danhauer, K.; William Hoggatt, S; D. A. Hanks, Sec.; Jacob Metz, Treas.; J. H. Sowell, C of H.; A. McCulloch, P. S.; S. L. Myers, R. A. C.; E. N. Terrill, M. 3d. V.; T. M. Gruwell, M. 2nd. V. The above named were all the charter members. The charter was dated February 13, 1881. The lodge is now in a prosperous condition with nineteen members. The officers for the close of 1882, are: A. J. Utley, H. P.; H. B. Miller, K.; T. B. Haslam, S.; W. L. Schenck, Treas.; W. A. Cotterman, Sec.; J. H. Sowell, C. H.; A. McCulloch, P. S.; S. L. Myers, R. A. C.; S. B. Enderton, M. 3d V.; T. M. Gruwell, M. 2nd V.; D. M. Clemmer, M. 1st V.; H. W. Jenness, T.
Osage City, Lodge, No. 82, I. O. O. F., was instituted in January, 1872; with twenty members. The lodge now numbers ninety-six members, and is in a prosperous condition. The present officers are: - M. B. Campbell, N. G.; M. Hanson, V. G.; S. Jones, Rec. Sec.; Eli Bernheimer, Per. Sec.; L. W. Brown, Treas.
Order of Chosen Friends. - this society has a good membership and is in a flourishing condition. The officers are: W. W. Miller, N. W. Laubach, P. C. C.'s; Dr. W. L. Schenck, C. C.; Mrs. A. J. Bolander, V. C.; Rev. W. W. Curtis, Rec.; H. B. Hubanks, Treas.; Rev. W. W. Curtis, Chap.; James Froud, Mar.; A. R. Bothel, Warden; J. S. Sisson, Guard.
Osage City Lodge, No. 73, A. O. U. W. was instituted April 23, 1881, with seventeen members. The first officers, were as follows: D. Ainsworth, P. M. W.; W. H. Dodds, M. W.; J. M. Hershey, F.; C. J. Coleman, O.; D. H. Van Derventer, G.; G. C. Horning, Rec. J. C. Jones, F.; M. L. Campbell, R.; L. W. Learn, I. W.; J. W. Williamson, O. W.; W. B. Artz, M. E. This lodge is in a prosperous condition and now has twenty-three members. D. H. Van Deventer (sic) is M. W., and D. O. Crane, Rec.
Harmony Lodge No., 1049, K. of H. was instituted in April, 1878, with sixteen members. It is now in a flourishing condition, with thirty-three members. The officers for the closing months of the year 1882, are: G. Marple, Dictator; John W. Letter, As'st Dict'r; Rev. G. W. Melton, Chap.; Robert J. Hill, Rep.; L. Learn, F. R.; A. J. Bolander, G.; Robert Tuchman, G.; I. S. Spencer, S.; Robert J. Hill, Treas.
Eureka Lodge, No. 34, K. of P. was instituted on February 26, 1881, with eighty members, forty of whom were old knights. The first officers were: George Calhoon. C. C.; Philip Burke, V. C.; Edwin Thomas, K. of R. & S.; Alexander Jarvie, M. E.; John Nicklin, M. T.; H. Kirby, P.; William Irving, M. of A. In February, 1882, the lodge was incorporated under the laws of the State. For the last part of the year 1882, Edwin Thomas was C. C.; J. T. Connel, V. C.; S. Ledoux, K. of R. & S.; John Slusser, M. of F., Joseph Charvoz, M. at A, Joseph Stott, M. of E.; John Laing, I. G.; A. C. Ledoux, O. G.; L. S. Sprague, Pr.; H. Kirby, F. A. Peak, and Charles Tustin, Trustees. The membership of the lodge is now ninety-four.
Canby Post, No. 11, G. A. R., was organized October 26, 1881, with a membership of twenty-six, which has since been increased to seventy-eight. The present officers are: T. L. Marshall, C.; W. H. Mossman, S. V. C.; C. E. Bridsall, J. V. C.; H. Kirby, S.; J. V. Admire, C.; E. W. Hanslip, Q. M.; D. O. Crane, Adj.; S. S. Everhart, O. D.; John E. Stone, P. G.; James A. Drake, S. M.; William Roady, Q. M. S. The first officers were the same as now except that C. S. Miller, was J. V. C.; W. J. Meskinen, O. D.; and Ashker Adams, S. M.
MINING COMPANIES, BANKS AND HOTELS.
Osage City is the center of the coal fields of the county, and the mining interest being developed makes the city the thriving and busy place it now is. During the first year of the history of the town mining was commenced, and this has developed from year to year until there are now twenty-eight shafts, which when running in full capacity yield 1,600 tons per day, and employ upward of 1,200 men. These figures represent the working capacity in the busiest season. Besides the shafts are a large number of drifts and strippings, which employ many men and teams, and add much to the mining interest of the town.
The Osage Carbon Company succeeded The Osage Carbon, Coal and Mining Company, which was the first to open shafts here. The officers are W. B. Strong, President; E. Wilder, Treasurer; L. Severy, Manager; and Robert Craig, Superintendent. The number of men employed are 600; the number of shafts worked, 12; tonnage mined per day 750.
The Superior Coal Company has the following officers: Asher Adams, President; P. Lyon, Vice-President; Charles Tustin, Secretary; John Sherley, Treasurer; John Gray, Superintendent. The number of men employed are 150; number of shafts worked, 4; tonnage mined per day, 200.
The Western Coal and Mining Company has the following officers: Gust. Johnson, President and Superintendent; B. M. Johnson, Secretary and Treasurer. The number of men employed are 200; number of shafts worked, 6; tonnage mined per day, 300.
The Scandinavian Coal and Mining Company has the following list of officers: A. B. Cooper, President and Superintendent; M. A. L. Olsen, Secretary and Treasurer. The number of men employed are 150; number of shafts worked, 4; tonnage mined per day, 200.
The Osage County Bank was chartered November 19, 1880. It has a capital stock (paid in) of $50,000. A general banking and collection business is carried on. The officers are as follows: W. W. Miller, President; L, Severy, Vice-President; T. L. Marshall, Cashier; T. J. Peter, L. Humphrey, P. I. Bonebrake, William B. Strong, Joab Mulvane, M. W. Martindale, Directors.
The Osage City Bank is the oldest established in the city, and was one of the J. S. Danford banks that failed in 1881, causing so great excitement at the time. Osage City is the home of Danford, and those most intimate with his business are still in doubt whether he had lost the depositors' money in imprudent speculation, or that he robbed them of the money and retained it. Heavy losses in reckless speculation was probably the real cause of the failure of all his banks. This bank is still open settling old business, but this is about all that is done.
The Osage City Hotel is the oldest established hotel in the city, a portion of it having been built by John F. Dodds in December, 1869. It is now a large house, nearly opposite the depot. W. C. Harding is proprietor.
The Osage City Flouring Mill was built and set in operation in 1871, by Martin & Clemmer. In 1873, C. S. Martin assumed the sole proprietorship, and controlled it a number of years. It is now owned by the Wetherell estate. The mill has four run of burrs, and a good quality of flour is made.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ABBOTT - GREWELL).
PROF. J. M. ABBOTT, Superintendent of Osage City schools, came to Kansas in August, 1881, from Burlington, Iowa. Was born in Miami County, Ohio, September 20, 1844. When eight years of age his parents moved to Cedar County, Iowa, where he remained until twenty years of age, engaged in farming. Taught his first term of school in Missouri in 1866. Afterwards completed a course of study in the State University of Iowa. Taught two years in Glenwood. Then became Superintendent of Creston, Iowa, schools, where he remained three years. Then went into merchandising in Muscantine one year. Then went South as General Agent for the Andrews School Furniture Company, of Chicago, traveling throughout most of the Southern States. On his return came direct to Osage City. Was married in 1869, at Independence, Iowa, to Miss Katie Ruterman, a student of the state University and a teacher of several years' experience, and has three children - Mable, Winfred and Norman. Is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
CAPTAIN J. V. ADMIRE, editor of the Osage City Free Press, was born in Johnson County, Ind., October 14, 1842. In 1852 his father, Rev. James B. Admire, then living on a farm near Morgantown, Ind., was admitted to the itinerant ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the Indiana Conference, and appointed to the French Lick Circuit, Dubois County. He continue in the ministry until the summer of 1861, when his death occurred at Yankeetown, Warrick County, Ind., from typhoid fever. Captain Admire's mother died about the same time and from the same disease. The subject of this sketch was practically thrown upon his own resources at an early age, as his father's family was large, and the salary of a "Methodist preacher" at that time was very meagre (sic). Prior to the war, from the time he was sixteen, he engaged in school teaching, thought he never adopted teaching as a profession. It was merely a temporary expedient to raise funds to enable him to prosecute his studies. In 1859-60 he attended Delaney Academy, at that time a very prosperous Cumberland Presbyterian institution, located at Newburgh, Ind., and distinguished himself by the delivery of a very radical anti-slavery oration at a public "exhibition" the winter prior to the nomination and election of President Lincoln. August 12, 1862, he enlisted as a private soldier in Company E, Sixty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, at Newburgh, and upon the organization of that regiment at Camp Lewis, near Evansville, Ind., was appointed to the office of Sergeant, serving as such until June 5, 1863, when, upon the recommendation of Col. John W. Foster, who was the commanding officer of the regiment, he was commissioned by Gov. Oliver P. Morton as Second Lieutenant of his company. March 21, 1864, he was promoted to First Lieutenant, and November 28, 1864, to Captain of his company in which office he served until the "muster out" of his regiment, which occurred at Greensboro, N. C., June 22, 1865, the regiment receiving its final pay and discharge at Indianapolis in July of that year. Captain Admire was on duty with his company and regiment continuously during the whole period of their service, never missing a day's duty on account of sickness or other cause. In the spring of 1863 the regiment was re-organized as mounted infantry, after having spent a few unprofitable months marching up and down the country on foot in pursuit of the well-mounted Rebel guerrillas that infested and overran Southwestern Kentucky in the vicinity of Henderson, Owensboro, Madisonville, Morganfield, and adjacent points. After this, during the summer of 1863, this regiment, aided by Gen. Shackelford's regiment of Kentucky Cavalry, succeeded in capturing and dispersing all the organized bands of guerrillas in that portion of the State, and in the latter part of the summer marched across the Cumberland Mountains, and, with little opposition, entered Knoxville and took possession of East Tennessee, participating afterward in all the troubles incident to the siege of Knoxville by Longstreet, and the leisurely, so-called, retreat of that noted Rebel General into Virginia. In the spring of 1864, at the beginning of the "Atlanta Campaign," the Sixty-fifth was dismounted and assigned to the Third Brigade, Third Division, Twenty-third Army Corps, Army of the Ohio, and participated actively in all the troubles of that noted campaign from beginning to ending. Was in the battles of Franklin and Nashville, after which the Twenty-third Corps was transferred via the Ohio River, Cincinnati, Washington and Annapolis to the mouth of the Cape Fear River - Fort Fisher. Met Gen. Sherman's Army at Goldsboro, N. C., and was at Johnson's surrender at Raleigh. After his return home, Captain Admire, intent upon the completion of his education, entered Asbury University as a student, quitting it, however, at the beginning of his junior year. In 1866, without any previous knowledge of the newspaper business, he commenced the publication of a Republican weekly newspaper at Newburgh, Ind., which he called the Warrick Herald, and continued it for two years, when it was sold to the proprietor of the Democratic local contemporary, and its publication discontinued. September, 1867, he was married to Miss Emma Lewis, of Newburgh, whose father, Dr. Eli Lewis, had served as Surgeon of the Sixty-fifth Indiana Volunteers, and who afterwards removed to Topeka, Kansas, where he died August 1, 1882, after an active and continuous medical practice of over fifty years. Captain Admire came to Kansas in the latter part of July, 1869, and tried farming in Shawnee County for something over two years, when he abandoned that business in great disgust, and bought an interest in the North Topeka Times, of which he was editor and partly and wholly publisher for about a year and a half. He was appointed, postmaster of North Topeka in 1872, re-appointed and confirmed by the Senate in 1875, and held the office until May, 1878. In November, 1878, he removed to Osage City, and entered into a law partnership with Hon. Ellis Lewis, having been admitted to the bar in 1867. At the expiration of a year he engaged in other business, and March 1, 1881, he bought the Osage City Free Press, of which he is yet editor and principal owner. He was appointed postmaster of Osage City February 10, 1882, his appointment was confirmed by the Senate on the 17th of the same month, received his commission March 14, and took charge of the office April 1, 1882. He was elected a member of the Board of Education of Osage City April, 1881, and chosen as its President a year afterward. He previously served as a member of the Board of Education of the city of Topeka. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Osage City, No. 79, and also a member of the order of Chosen Friends. He has three children - James Lewis, Mina and Eli, aged respectively thirteen, eleven and seven.
DR. W. B. ARTZ, physician and surgeon, came to Kansas in 1880(?). Was born in Aledo, Mercer County, Ill., in 1850. Resided there until coming to Kansas. Began the study of medicine in 1873 with Dr. T. L. Ashbaugh. Attended Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1874-5-6. Practiced in Joy, Mercer County, Ill., until 1878, and entered Keokuk Medical College, graduating in 1878, and practiced in Mercer County. Was married in 1879 in Joy, Mercer County, Ill., to Miss Hannah Kiddoo, and has one child - Bertha. Is a member of the City council and A. O. U. W.
WILLIAM BLOCK, General Manager of Osage county Mercantile Association; incorporated January 3, 1881; capital stock $10,000. Mr. Block came to Osage City in 1876; worked for the A. T. & S. F. R. R. five years. Was born in Annathal Kreis Pitsen, Austria, in 1853. Came to America when nineteen years of age, and located in New York City, where he worked at his trade - that of a machinist. Is Secretary of Knights of Labor, Osage City.
DR. SAMUEL F. BROWN, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Osage City, was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., August 13, 1840; son of Samuel Brown and Elizabeth Mason, and is a brother of George W. Brown of Burlingame Township. Mr. Brown was brought up on a farm, and was educated in the common schools. He came to Kansas in 1880, and owns 160 acres in Superior Township, on which he resides. Beginning on the raw prairie he has already made good improvements on his farm. He was married in Bartholomew County, Ind., September 15, 1861, to Miss Mary A. Stilley. They have four children - Laura E., born September 11, 1862; Orlando W., born August 5, 1864; Clara F., born October 1, 1866; and Love, born April 30, 1868. Mr. Brown is a member of the Methodist Church.
D. O. CRANE, Secretary of the Superior Coal and Mining Company and City Clerk. He came to this State in the spring of 1858, locating at Topeka. He enlisted in 1861, in the Second Kansas Infantry, as a musician, participating in the battles of Wilson's Creek, and others. He was discharged October 1, 1861, re-enlisted March 17, 1862, in the Fifth Kansas Cavalry, and was with his command in twenty-three engagements. Colonel Powell Clayton made complimentary mention of the gallant defense of Pine Bluff Post by the Second Kansas and First Indiana Regiments, who held the post against fearful odds, and finally repulsed the Rebel forces, October 25, 1863. Was mustered out July 19, 1865. Mr. Crane was born in Northampton County, Pa., February 12, 1842. When twelve years of age, he moved to Dobb's Ferry, Westchester Co., N. Y., where he resided until the spring of 1858, when he moved to Osage County in the fall of 1870, and farmed for three years, three miles east of Osage City. He then kept the Osage City House for one year. Was elected City Clerk in 1877, and with the exception of eighteen months, has held that position since. He was married March 3, 1869, at Topeka, to Miss Anna S. Kay, a native of England. They have three children living - Mary E., Anna S., and Franklin L. Is a member of Eureka Lodge No. 34, K. of P., and a member and foreman of Osage City Lodge, No. 73, A. O. U. W., and is Adjutant of Canby Post, No. 11, G. A. R., and occupies the position of Department Inspector.
A. B. COOPER, was born in Sterling, Cayuga Co., N. Y., January 2, 1843, and was the youngest of a family of five children. His parents were farmers, his father dying when he was but five years old, his early life alternated between working on a farm during the summer season and attending school during the winter. He entered the army in April, 1861, by enlisting in the First Cayuga, or Nineteenth New York Infantry, which after the first year became the Third New York Artillery. He was engaged in the campaigns of General Patterson during a portion of 1861, and later was under the command of General McClellan. His regiment was then transferred to North Carolina, under General Burnside, whose command was subsequently turned over to General Foster. He participated while in this department in the battles of Kingston, White Hall, Goldsboro, and the taking of Fort Macon at Beaufort, where his company was under constant fire for ten hours. He was discharged from the army at Auburn, N .Y., in 1863. He attended school at Red Creek Academy, in August of the same year, until January, 1864. He went from there to Talley Seminary, Fulton, N. Y., where he remained until 1866, during a portion of which time he was engaged in teaching. He entered the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor, in August of the same year, where he remained until 1871, when he graduated from the Law Department of that institution. He came to Osage City, Kan., in April, 1871, and commenced the practice of law. Was associated with W. H. Morgan in starting the Shaft, a weekly newspaper. Was elected to a seat in the popular branch of the Legislature in 1872. Became interest in mercantile business in Osage City in 1873. He was married at Jordan, N. Y., January 2, of the same year, to Sue C. Vere. Became President of the Scandinavian Coal and Mining Company in March, 1880. Was elected Mayor of Osage City during the fall of the same year. Is a member of the Knights of Honor and G. A. R., Canby Post, No. 11. Has always voted the Republican ticket.
ROBERT CRAIG, Superintendent of the Osage Carbon Company and Kansas Carbon Company. Came to Kansas January 12, 1871. Has been connected with the above companies since their organization, and had charge of the mines of the Carbon Coal and Mining Company from the time he came to Kansas till the organization of the Osage Carbon Company in September, 1880. He was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, March 17, 1838. When he was sixteen years of age he left Scotland and came to America, locating in Maryland. Has been engaged in the mining business since he was ten years of age. Visited his native country in 1861, remaining only a short time, and again in 1864, and remained six years as a manager of the Home Farm and Dalzell Collieries. Was Township Treasurer for four years, and member of the Board of Education.
REV. W. W. CURTIS, pastor of Presbyterian Church, came to Kansas in 1871, he was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., May 8, 1844. He resided there until 1860, when he entered Princeton College, graduating in the Classical and Theological courses in 1870. He was married in 1880 at Osage City, to Miss Katie Roberts. They have two children - William H., and Edna H. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., and Chosen Friends. Is one of the Examining Committee of the City Schools.
JOHN GRAY, Superintendent of Superior Coal & Mining Company, came to this State in 1876, and commenced work in the mines for the Carbon Company, afterward for the Scandinavian Company and in 1879 organized the Superior Company, and has since been its Superintendent. He was born in Cornwall, England, June 26, 1850. Resided there until 1867, engaged in mining, his father, being a machinist. John Gray came to America, working at Calumet, Houghton Co., Mich., in the mines, leaving there in 1869. He was married in 1872, in Wilksbarre, Pa., to Miss Mary A. Pyrnn, a native of Cornwall, England, and has one child living - Sarah A., having lost five. Is a member of the Knights of Labor Lodge, No. 849, being Treasurer, and also K. of P., Eureka Lodge, No. 34. Has been a member of the A. O. F., and I. O. O. F. Is President of the Osage City Common Council and has been a member of the Board four years. Mr. Gray has been a miner since eight years of age.
THOMAS M. GREWELL, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Osage City, was born in Stark County, Ohio, February 9, 1834; son of Isaac and Ruth (Elliott) Grewell, whose parents were Timothy Grewell, Alice Pennock, Isaac Elliott and Ruth McCall. Mr. Grewell was educated in the Western Reserve Seminary, Ohio, and Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa. He had various employments on the farm, in the store and schoolroom, in each of which he was successful. He came to Kansas in 1859, and settled in Neosho Rapids, Lyon county, where he opened the first hotel in the place. He had some hard times, but too much pluck to ask aid from his friends. He held the first Teachers' Institute ever conducted in the State, and was instrumental in forming the State Teachers' Association. He was in the militia and aided in driving Sterling Price from the State. Mr. Grewell is one of the enterprising men in Osage County. His success in business is owing in some measure to the help of his wife, who has been a helpmeet indeed to him through all the labors and trials of a pioneer life. Mr. Grewell owns a splendid farm of 360 acres in Superior Township, well improved and finely stocked. He was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of John and Hannah (Hammer) Blaylock, November 5, 1857, in Cedar County, Iowa. They have eight children: Lenni Leoti; born April 16, 1859; Isaac O., born November 6, 1860; William C., born June 8, 1863; Ruth H., born May 3, 1870; John T., born July 11, 1867, died January 21, 1869; George S., born August 20, 1872; Clarence B., born April 1, 1878, and Edward A., born February 28, 1882. Mr. Grewell is a member of Signal Lodge, No. 141, A., F. & A. M., of Osage City Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons, and Emporia Commandery, No. 8, K. T.