|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HALE - UTLEY).
A. M. HALE, Justice of the Peace, has held the office since 1880, and has tried 387 civil and 75 criminal cases and married twenty couples. Came to Carbondale in 1872, and has engaged at his trade - wagon-making - at Lyndon. Was born in Broome County, N. Y., in 1830, but attained his majority in Susquehanna County, Pa., and resided in Kentucky until 1868. In 1861, enlisted in Company A, Second Michigan Cavalry; was in the army of the Cumberland; was at New Madrid, Shiloh and Perrysville; was wounded October 16, 1864, at Mayfield, Ky., while in charge of a Government train, from the effects of which he has never fully recovered. The last two years of his enlistment was in the Secret Service of the Government. Has been twice married. First, in 1851, at West Albany, N. Y., to Miss Lavina McGiebbeny, who died in 1853, and by whom one child was born, Hattie, now Mrs. Davis of Belmont, N. Y. Was married again in 1870 in Bates County, Mo., to Miss Sarah Cleary. Is a member of Canby Post, G. A. R., I. O. O. F., No. 82, and I. O. G. T.
WILLIAM HASLAM, M. D., homeopathic physician and surgeon, is also engaged in loan, insurance and real estate business. Came to Kansas in 1869, locating at Olivet; remained about three years and removed to Osage City. Was born in Manchester, England, March 25, 1845. Came to America when about three years of age, locating at Portage City, Wis. When about sixteen years of age removed to Minnesota, living on a farm near Rochester, finally locating at Chatfield, Minn., where he commenced the study of medicine under his father, Dr. T. B. Haslam. Graduated from the St. Louis Homeopathic Medical College in 1875. Received the Franklin prize for being the most efficient student of surgery in his class. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
R. C. HEIZER, County Attorney and member of the firm of Thompson & Heizer, was born in Vermont, Fulton Co., Ill., December 7, 1851. Came to Kansas in 1857 and located four miles east of Burlingame. In 1868 he entered the State Normal School at Emporia and remained three years. In 1874, began the study of law with Hon. William Thompson, of Burlingame. Was admitted to practice in 1876, and located at Lyndon, Osage County, where he remained until 1880, when he located at Osage City. In the fall of 1882, was elected County Attorney of Osage County on the Republican ticket. Was married February 1, 1882, at Lyndon, to Miss Minerva E. Whitman, eldest daughter of Prof. Whitman, of Lyndon, Kan.
R. J. HILL, manager of W. C. Edward's lumber-yard, formerly Kansas Lumber Company. Has been connected with the yard since 1874. Came to Kansas in 1869, locating in Franklin County; came to Osage City in 1872. Was born in Durham, England, April 15, 1851. When about one year old, came to America, locating in Pennsylvania; remained there until nineteen years of age engaged in coal business. Was married in 1879, at Osage City to Miss Bessie May, a native of England. Is a member of K. of H.
HENRY HOWELL, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Osage City, was born in Monongalia (sic) County, West Va., December 22, 1834; son of Leven and Ann Howell, was married December 25, 1857, to Ellen Courtney, daughter of Michael and Rebecca Courtney. He enlisted in the war August 25, 1862, in Company C, Fourteenth Regiment West Virginia Volunteer, Infantry. He was in the following engagements; Cloud Mountain, Martinsburg, Winchester, Lynchburg, Steven's Depot, and numerous skirmishes. He was a non-commissioned officer, acting as Second Sergeant, and was honorably discharged, June 27, 1865. He moved to Indiana, July 27, 1865, from there to this State in 1868, where he purchased 268 acres of land in Osage County, where he now resides. They have eight children - George B., born in West Virginia, December 4, 1858, and died at Eureka Springs, Ark., February 12, 1883, from blood poison, caused by a sprain which resulted in the loss of one foot, with the above result; Meloil L., born in West Virginia, January 11, 1860; Mary E., born in West Virginia, October 3, 1861; Ida A., born in Indiana, June 6, 1867; died in Kansas September 29, 1872; Nettie B., born in Kansas, December 19, 1869; William O., born in Kansas, September 26, 1873; Grace R., born in Kansas, May 23, 1876; and Lida E., born in Kansas, January 8, 1879. Mr. Howell and wife are members of the Baptist Church at Burlingame.
J. W. JACKSON, Police Judge and real estate dealer, is agent for the large tract of land now owned by the Reading, Pa., Iron Works, and came to Kansas in 1867, and located at Topeka, working at the printing trade until 1873, when he came to Osage City. He was born in Cecil County, Md., October 9, 1824; when quite young moved to Pittsburg; when about twenty-one years of age moved to Indiana; in 1855, established the Oxford Evening Mail, which he published for four years. He enlisted in Company F, Forty-third Indiana; served about one year. Removed to Decatur, Ill., in 1865, where he engaged in the lime and coal business about one year. He has been Police Judge of Osage City six years. Has been twice married: first to Miss Mary Covey, of Jamestown, Ind., February 10, 1848. They had five children. Mrs. Jackson died November 7, 1857; was married again in 1872, to Mrs. Z. M. Morrell of Burlingame, who came to this State in 1854.
GUST. JOHNSON, President and Superintendent of the Western Coal and Mining Company organized in 1879; capital stock $10,000. Had one shaft in 1879 and employed fifteen men; now have four shafts and employ about 150 men. In 1882 did a business of about $50,000. Mr. Johnson came to Kansas in 1869. He was born near Christinehaun, Sweden, March 20, 1845; engaged in farming until coming to America in 1869. Since 1874 has been engaged in mining. He was married in 1875, in McPherson County, Kan., to Miss Blanda M. Lilien, a native of Sweden. They have three children - Emma C., Alma and Ester M. A singular fact is, that all three were born in the month of July, and two years and twelve days apart. Mr. Johnson is a Deacon and Trustee of the Sweedish (sic) Lutheran Church. He was the first Superintendent of the Scandinavian Coal and Mining Company, and has been Councilman and a member of the Board af <(sic) Education for several terms.
DR. H. KIRBY, physician and surgeon, came to Kansas in 1872; has resided and practiced at La Cygne. Located at Osage City in 1876. Was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in 1826. Graduated in Ohio Medical College, in 1849, and practiced over twenty-two years in Delaware County, Ind. Entered the service in 1862 as Captain of Company K, Eighty-fourth Indiana; on the 13th of April, 1865, he was commissioned as Surgeon. Was married in 1849, at Lebanon, Ohio, to Miss Elizabeth Johnson and has three children living: Anna, Walter and Mary M. Is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and Past Chancellor K. of P.; and G. A. R. Is a member of Kansas and National Eclectic Society.
W. J. McMILLIN, auctioneer and commission merchant, and dealer in second-hand furniture. Came to Kansas in August 1878, and worked in the coal mines about eighteen months and has since been engaged in the present business. He was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1842; and when quite young, moved to Scotland, and resided about ten years in England. He came to America in 1870, locating in Alleghany County, Md., where he remained until coming to Kansas. Was married in December 1864, in Northumberland, England, to Miss Alice Mitchell. They have eight children living: Thomas, James, William, Isabella, Alexander, Sarah, Ann and John; one dead nearly five years old. Is a member of the K. of P.
HON. CHARLES S. MARTIN, attorney-at-law, came to the State in May, 1866 and engaged in farming and stock-raising one mile west of the city, which he continued for ten years in the meantime preparing himself for the bar. In 1876 he was admitted to practice and has since been active and successful in his profession. In 1872 he was elected to the State Senate from the Twenty-first District; and in 1874 was re-elected to the same position. He was born in Winchester, Randolph Co., Ind., November 14, 1836. When about thirteen years old moved to McDonough County, Ill., and remained about five years. From thence moved to Butler County, Iowa, where he resided until enlisting, in 1861, in Third Iowa Battery; was first under Gen. Curtis in the army of the southwest, until the fall of 1862, when he was transferred to the Mississippi department, and in the spring of 1863 was in the Vicksburg campaign. Participated in the battles of Pea Ridge, Vicksburg, Jackson, Black River Bridge, Haines' Bluff, Arkansas Post, Little Rock and Helena. On July 4, 1863, he was promoted to Second Lieutenant before his discharge. He was mustered out October 22, 1865, at Davenport, Iowa. Was married December 6, 1857, at Clarkesville, Iowa, to Mrs. Thaney A. Taylor, a native of Washington County, Ind. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F. And Encampment G. A. R., and K. of H. Is a member of the State Bar Association.
ELIJAH MILLS, was born September 14, 1841, in Fayette County, Ohio; enlisted September 6, 1861, at Washington C. H., in Company K, Forty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry as a private; was appointed Corporal in 1862, and Sergeant in 1864. In 1864 the regiment "veteraned" at Strawberry Plains, East Tennessee, was reorganized and became the Eighth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. Mr. Mills was Quartermaster Sergeant of his Company when mustered out May, 1865, at Columbus, Ohio; served in the Twenty-third Army Corps; participated in the following battles: Lewisburg, W. Va., May 23, 1862, Gauley, W. Va., 1862, Charleston W. Va., 1862, Somerset, Ky., March 30, 1863, Carter's "Knoxville Raid." May, 1863, Pound Gap, Tenn., Siege of Knoxville, from November 17 to December 5, 1863, Bean's Station, East Tenn., December 14, 1863, "Raid of Lynchburg, " under Gen. Hunter. His regiment served upon outpost and scouting duty in West Virginia, for two years and a half, and did the same sort of duty for a year in Kentucky and East Tennessee, engaging in a great many skirmishes and minor battles. His own and two other companies of the regiment, were surprised at night, while stationed at Huttonsville, W. Va., in 1864, and captured. The balance of the regiment, stationed at Beverly, was at once notified and pursued the Rebels so hotly that they were obliged to take the horses and arms and let the prisoners go. Is married, and has seven children; came to Osage County from Jamestown, Greene Co., Ohio, November 3, 1868; a prohibition Republican and a member of the Methodist Church.
Dr. W. H. MOSSMAN, druggist, came to Osage City in 1870, where he practiced his profession until the fall of 1882. Was born in Mercer County, Pa., February 18, 1839. When quite young his parents moved to LaSalle County, Ill., where he remained three years, and removed to Grundy County, remaining five years, and from thence to Benton County, Ohio, where he remained until twenty years of age, engaged in farming and attending school. In 1858, he returned to Grundy County, and in 1861, enlisted in Company F, Thirty-sixth Illinois Infantry. Was in the battle of Pea Ridge, and from there went into Mississippi, was afterwards at Cincinnati, Ohio, when Bragg threatened to capture the city. His command was re-organized at Louisville, and assigned to the army of the Cumberland. Participated in the battle of Perryville, where he was slightly wounded. At the battle of Murfreesboro was wounded four times, and captured, but shortly afterwards paroled and sent to Camp Dennison, Ohio, for two months. Then returned to Chattanooga, and was promoted to Sergeant. Was mustered out in September, 1864. Returned to Benton County, Iowa, and studied medicine with Dr. Boyd, of Vinton, two years, and afterwards attended Keokuk Medical College. Commenced practice at Blairstown, Iowa, in 1868. Was married in March, 1866, at Vinton, Iowa, to Miss N. J. Jordan, of Hanover, Columbiana Co., Ohio. They have five children: Fred H., Luella, Bertha, Arthur, and Eva N. He is a member of I. O. O. F., G. A. R. of which he is Senior Vice-Commander and District Deputy. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. W. NORMAN, proprietor Osage City Marble Works, commenced business here in October, 1880. Does all kinds of plain and ornamental work. Was born in Boston, England June 30, 1846. When four years of age came to America, locating at Lexington, Ky., where he remained until 1875; commenced his trade at Lexington in 1866, and has worked at it continuously since. Was in the Government employ about one year. He was married October 25, 1882, at Kansas City, Mo., to Mrs. Foltz, a native of Virginia. Is a member of Osage City Lodge, No. 82, I. O. O. F.
JOSHUA PAGE farmer, Section 31, P. O. Osage City. Born in Hardy County, W. Va., July 18, 18?8; son of Alexander Page and Erie Purdem. When six years old he moved to Ohio, where he lived on a farm four years; from there he went to Indiana; lived there eleven years; from there he went to California, lived there eleven years; from there back to Illinois, lived there eight years: from there came to this State, and settled on a farm in Superior Township, on the quarter section where he now lives. The land is well improved under his own hand from raw prairie. Mr. Page was united in marriage to Miss Grace Blake in Coles County, Ill., May 24, 1866. They have three children: Francis I., Mary G. and Janet. He is a member of the K. of H. He has been a farmer all the time, except two years while he was in California. He worked in the gold mines during this time.
DR. F. A. PEAK, dentist, came to this State in 1872. Was born in Johnson County, Mo., in 1849. Studied dentistry with his brother, Dr. A. B. Peak, of Holden, Johnson County, and commenced practicing in 1877. He was married in 1870, in Harrisonville, Mo., to Miss Agnes Butler. Is a member of Eureka Lodge, No. 34, K. of P. Built a new residence in 1882 at a cost of $1,000.
MONROE PETER, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Peterton. Born in Baltimore, Md., February 27, 1839. He moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he lived three years, engaged in railroading. He came to Kansas in 1868, and settled in Osage County. Enlisted in June, 1861, in the Fifth Ohio Battery. Was in the battles of Pea Ridge, Springfield, Nashville, Pittsburg Landing, Jackson (Miss), Helena, (Ark.), Balls Bluff, Pine Bluff, Etc. Was discharged July, 1865. He was married in Cincinnati April 30, 1860, to Miss Mary Carroll. They have seven children - Fanny, Grace, Laura E., George A., Lydia A., Lillie M., and Thomas G.
C. S. PLAYFORD, notary public and insurance agent, located in Osage City in January 1870. Came to Kansas in 1857, and located in Burlingame. Was born in Geneva, N. Y., in December, 1845. Came to Kansas when about eleven years of age. Was married in May, 1873, at Osage City, to Miss Mary Hildebrand, a native of Indiana, and have two children - Nellie and Jessie. Has been Township Trustee and Treasurer and Justice of the Peace. Was elected Police Judge in 1876 and served two terms.
SAMUEL W. REID, clerk in the office of Osage Carbon Company. Has been connected with the company since 1872 in the capacity of weighman and clerk. Came to Kansas in 1870 from Kentucky. Was born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1840. Came to America when an infant, and resided in New York City until he was fourteen years of age. Went South, where he resided until the breaking out of the war, and finally located in Eastern Kentucky, where he was married in 1866 to Mrs. Tooel, and have two children living - Maggie and John S. IN 1876 he was elected a member of the City Council. Is a member of I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W.
D. J. ROBERTS was born at Liverpool, England, October 14, 1855. He came to America in 1857, and lived in New York City until 1870, when he removed to Emporia, Kansas, where he worked at his trade as a printer until 1873. He then visited the larger cities, working at his trade. In 1875 he went to England, working in London. After visiting the cities of Europe until 1879, he returned to Emporia, Kansas. In a short time he went to Kansas City and worked on the Journal there nine months, when he established the Herald at Americus, Kansas, which he published until his removal to Osage City. In its edition of October 12, 1882, The British and Colonial Printer and Stationer, published at London, England, pays the Republican and its editor a high compliment. He was married at Americus on September 5, 1881, to Miss Effie A. Bond, who was born at Hazelton, Pa.
DR. W. L. SCHENCK, was born at Franklin, Warren Co., Ohio, February 14, 1825. His father, Garret A. Schenck, dying when he was only ten years of age, his education was under the care of his generous and living mother - Mary Plume Schenck. When fifteen years of age he was sent to Cary's Academy, Pleasant Hill, Ohio, and from there to Miami University. In 1846 he commenced reading medicine in the office of Dr. David Baird, attending lectures at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, during the winter of 1847-48, and at Dartmouth Medical College, New Hampshire, during the autumn of 1848, when he graduated. During the winter of 1848-49 he attended Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and in the spring of 1849 commenced the practice of his profession in his native village. In 1854 he was appointed by the Warren County Medical Society to report upon the pecuniary remuneration of physicians. The address was published in pamphlet form by order of the society. Although not a politician, the Doctor took great interest in the first election of Abraham Lincoln, and spoke in his cause. At the outbreak of the Rebellion, he offered his services, and was commissioned, October 1, 1861, Surgeon of the Seventeenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and in November, 1862, by request of Maj. Gen. Hamilton, he was appointed to duty on his staff. At the close of this year, on account of failing health, he resigned his commission. He was soon after directed by the Surgeon General to report to Louisville for examination for a commission as United States Surgeon of Volunteers, but feeble health prevented. In the spring of 1863 he was appointed Surgeon on the Board of Enrollment for the Third Ohio district, where he remained until the close of the war. On the 10th day of August, 1870, his wife, Julia Bliss, of Calais, Vt, whom he married January 17, 1849, died, leaving four children - Charles Meigs, Julia, Allie and Nannie; the oldest then a student at Antioch College, the youngest only eight years of age. Soon after the death of his wife he left his old home and went to Burlington, Iowa, remaining there only a few months and removing thence to Burlingame, Kan., and eight months later to his present home at Osage City. Here he became acquainted with Miss Lizzie Dodds, who was a graduate of the Springfield (Ohio) Female Seminary, and had, with her mother, recently moved to Kansas from Carrollton, Montgomery Co., Ohio. On the 16th of January, 1873, they were married; by which marriage there are four children - Stewart Zwingle, Hellen (sic), Bessie and Eva. In Kansas the Doctor soon took rank among the leading members of his profession and was made President of the Osage County Medical Society, and also of the East District and State medical societies. He has contributed many valuable papers to the medical press, and has been called upon to read other treatises before the societies, and has been a member of the American Medical Association since 1859. When President of the Kansas State Medical Society, he delivered an address in which he earnestly advocated the establishment of a State Board of Health, and the passage of a law to protect the public against unqualified practitioners. He has been invited to speak on various topics, and has done considerable editorial work. In 1865 he spent the winter in Little Rock, Ark., where he wrote editorials for the first Republican paper established in the State. During the Vallandigham-Schenck campaign in Ohio, he engaged in political work, vigorously opposing the election of the former. He united with the Eastern Star Lodge, No. 55, A., F. & A., M., in 1847, and is a member of Osage City Chapter, R. A. M. and Emporia Commandery, K. T. In his religious connection he is a Presbyterian, though in belief a liberal Christian.
CHARLES SKINNER came to the State in 1870, and has accumulated considerable property. Was born in Gloucesstershire (sic), England, March 20, 1829. Was married to 1846 to Miss Harriet Roberts, and have three children. Was a member of Foresters of England.
JAMES H. SMITH, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Osage City, was born in Brooklyn, Susquehanna County, Pa., June 27, 1841; son of Hallam R. Smith and Sarah A. Hurd Smith, whose parents were Isaac Smith and James L. Hurd. In his childhood he moved with his parents to Sussex County, N. J., where he was brought up and educated in the common schools and at boarding school. In 1857 he went to Springfield, Ill., and lived there until 1868, when he came to this State and settled in Superior Township, where he owns a section of choice land, well adapted to stock-raising, being well watered by Salt Creek, which passes through the farm. He has 300 acres under the plow, and keeps 12 horses, 130 head of cattle and 800 hogs. He employs two hands, and is a prosperous farmer. In December, 1865, Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Annie W., daughter of Henry S. and Asenath J. (Warren) Osborn. The have three children, two daughters and one son - Ella H., Nettie R. and Hallam R. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are both members of the Presbyterian Church in Lyndon.
WILLIAM H. SMITH, Sheriff of Osage County, residence at Osage City, came to Kansas, and located on a farm on the Dragoon, six miles north of Osage City. Enlisted in September, 1862, in Company I, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, participating in all the engagements of his command, being promoted to Corporal before he was mustered out in November, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth. He returned to his home in Osage County and engaged in farming. In the fall of 1879, he was elected Sheriff of Osage County, and in 1881 was re-elected. Was born in Fallsburg, Sullivan Co., N. Y., February 25, 1840. With the exception of two years' residence in Pennsylvania, resided there until coming to Kansas. He was married in April, 1866, at Burlingame, to Miss Helen A. Crumb, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children - Elsie L., Edward L. and Bessie E. Is Senior Vice-Commander of Canby Post No. 11, G. A. R., and is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Signal Lodge, No. 141, and A. O. U. W. and a charter member of each. Mr. Smith's father, Lotan Smith, was one of the earliest settlers of Osage County, locating on the Dragoon as early as 1854, near where the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad now crosses the creek.
W. D. SMITH, farmer, Section, 4, P. O. Osage City, was born in Susquehanna County, Pa., December 25, 1838, son of Hallam Smith and Sarah A. Hurd. His youthful days were spent in Sussex County, N. J., and then he went to Sangamon County, Ill., and in 1868 came to Kansas and settled in Superior Township. He owns a farm containing 800 acres, which he has developed from the raw prairie, and has it well stocked, etc. Mr. Smith is one of the few genuine farmers of the county, employing help sufficient to make his farm productive and profitable. In 1869 he built a house costing $1,000, besides other houses on his farm for the use of his employees. Mr. Smith was married in Osage County January 3, 1882, to Miss Henrietta, daughter of Samuel B. Hadden and Pheobe W. Winans.
MYRON W. TURNER, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Osage City, was born in Madison County, N. Y., March 9, 1821, son of Whitney Turner and Malinda Soper, where he brew to manhood and was educated in the common school. He moved to Chicago, Ill., and lived there about twelve years, and for a time in Boone County, Ill. He came to the State in 1875, settled in Superior Township, on a farm containing 140 acres, which he has improved and how has under a fine state of cultivation, with good house, barn, etc., and an orchard of about 500 trees. Mr. Turner was married in Madison County, N. Y., May 15, 1844, to Miss Caroline M., daughter of Ralph I. And Betsy Gates. They have been blessed with seven children, viz: Orson A., born August 29, 1845, and died in Nashville, Tenn., December 25, 1864, while a soldier in the army; Emma J., born November 3, 1848, died May 21, 1855; Murtis A., born October 25, 1850; Adel, born October 26, 1858; Lorell D., born December 25, 186?; Emma J., born October 31, 1855 (sic) and Sedalia F., born August 25, 1864. Mr. Turner is a member of the Second Advent Church.
HON. A. J. UTLEY, attorney-at-law, of the firm of Lewis & Utley, was born May 30, 1833, in Luzerne County, Pa. In 1838, removed with his father's family to Delaware County, Ohio. He was educated at Central College, Ohio, Oberline, Ohio, and the Ohio Wesleyan University. He took a thorough scientific course, thereby obtaining a practical English education, with some knowledge of the ancient languages. He left home in 1859, and engaged in the mercantile business at Marenngo, Morrow Co., Ohio, where he was married the following year to Miss Ellen M. Hance. He removed to Starke County, Ind., in 1861, where he commenced the practice of the law. In 1863, he removed to Ann Arbor, Mich., and entered the senior class of the law department of the Michigan State University, located at that place, and graduated from that University in 1864, after which he removed to Gratiot County, Mich., and entered upon the practice of his profession, and continued in the practice of the law at Ithaca and St. Louis, in said county, until his removal to Kansas, in 1879. He was elected prosecuting attorney in 1868, and held the office for two years, at the expiration of which time he declined a re-nomination. He was a candidate in 1874 for Circuit Judge of the Twenty-first Judicial District of Michigan, but was defeated by a very close vote. In 1878 he was elected Thrice Illustrious Master of the Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters of Michigan, and held that office until his removal from the State. He has been for many years an active member of the A., F. & A. M., Chapter, Council, Commandery and Egyptian Rite, and is thoroughly conversant with the ritual, symbolism, history and jurisprudence of Ancient Craft, Capitular, Cryptic and Chivalric Masonry. Mr. Utley came to Kansas in 1879, remained in Topeka one winter, and in the spring of 1880 removed to Lincoln Township, Osage County, where he engaged in farming. In June, 1881, he opened a law office in Lyndon, Osage County, where he remained until December 1882, when he formed a co-partnership with Hon. Ellis Lewis, of Osage City, and removed to the latter place where he now resides. In politics, Mr. Utley commenced life a Republican, casting his first vote for John C. Fremont, in 1856. He remained a Republican until 1872, at which time he supported Horace Greeley for President, and in 1876, Peter Cooper, since which time he has been prominently connected with the Greenback party. In 1882, he was elected Chairman of the Greenback State Central Committee of Kansas, which position he now holds. He has an adopted daughter, now Mrs. David Hance, of Salt River, Mich.