|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
NOAH ARNOLD, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Summit County, Ohio, February 21, 1836; son of George Arnold and Cynthia Phillips Arnold; his grandparents were Joseph Arnold, Susan Flickner, and William Phillips. He was brought up in his native town, and was educated at the high school. He has been on a farm all his life with the exception of seven years spent in Colorado. He came to Kansas, in 1867 and settled in Dragoon Township, where he owns 180 acres of rich bottom land. He developed this farm from the raw prairie; built a house and barn in 1872, at a cost of $2,000. He was married in Lawrence, Kan., February 8, 1860, to Miss Julia A., daughter of John M. Graham and Martha Bean Graham. They have eleven children - Arthur M., born February 26, 1861; Clara J., born June 14, 1862; Sarah L., born July 20, 1863; George T., born December 25, 1864; Robert D., born November 26, 1868; Minnie, born February 20, 1871, died June 11, 1871; Rosa M., born May 19, 1872; John W., born February 26, 1875; Julia E., born April 24, 1877; Martha C., born April 25, 1879; and Sophia, born July 7, 1881. Mr. Arnold was a Justice of the Peace for two years from 1878 to 1880.
JAMES G. BRIGGS, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Scranton, was born in Granger, Ohio, February 22, 1839, son of Uriah Briggs and Mary Holcomb. His paternal grandparents were Seth Holcomb and Zenas Briggs; and his material Ruth Codding and Mary Gillett. When twelve years of age his father moved to Tazewell County, Ill., where he remained fifteen years engaged in farming. He came to Kansas in 1866, and settled in Lawrence, and the following year purchased a farm in Dragoon township, where he has since resided, having made the improvements on his farm. He was united in marriage in Tazewell County, Ill., August 14, 1862, to Miss Mary A., daughter of Leonard Halsapple and Levina Holstein, daughter of James Anderson. They have three children - Elmer E., born in Tazewell County, Ill., October 4, 1863; William E., born in Douglas County, Kan., August 20, 1866; and Lida M., born in Osage County, Kan., June 8, 1869. Mr. Briggs is a member of the Highland Methodist Episcopal Church, and of Highland Grange, No. 291, and is its Treasurer.
HON. GEORGE S. BROCK, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, February 24, 1825; son of Thomas Brock and Mary Smith. He grew up in Ohio, receiving a common school education. In 1845 he moved to Fulton County, Ill, where he developed a new farm, and in 1867 went to Madison County, Iowa, and two years later came to Kansas and settled in Dragoon Township, where he owns 120 acres of choice land. He has been a member of the Board of County Commissioners for nine years past. On September 25, 1855 he married Miss Charity A. Worley, daughter of Josiah Worley and Mary A. Knox. They have no children. Mr. Brock has erected a good house and other buildings and is regarded as an enterprising progressive farmer.
HON. MAX BUEK, farmer, residence two and one-half miles southeast of Burlingame. He is engaged in farming and stock-raising; and he has 160 acres where he resides, well improved. His dwelling house is one and one-half stories; main part 16x30 feet, ell 16x24 feet, with porches; contains twelve rooms, was built in 1878 at a cost of $1,300. Barn 20x24 feet, capacity for eight horses, has granaries and corn cribs. Bearing orchard of 1,000 trees of all varieties. Has 270 head of cattle, eight horses and 200 hogs. Mr. Buek also owns 160 acres of land west of Burlingame, and 560 acres of pasture land in Wabaunsee County. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1866 with only $300, which he invested in stock. He rented land the first two years and afterward taught school, working his farm in vacations, and thus struggled on until he obtained a start. Mr. Buek was born in Hamburg, Livingston County, Mich., July 8,1844. When eighteen years of age he enlisted in Company E., Twenty-sixth Michigan Infantry. Was in the army of the Potomac, and participated in the following engagements; Suffolk, Blackwater, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Deep Bottom, Ream's Station, Hatche's Run, fall of Richmond and Petersburg; was under Gen. Dix, on the Peninsula, riot at New York City; was promoted to Regimental Color-Guard at Petersburg. Was mustered out in June, 1865, at Alexandria, Va. Returned to Michigan and engaged in farming until coming to Kansas. His father was an attorney of Hamburg, Germany, and one of the first settlers in the town of Hamburg, Mich. Mr. Buek was married in the spring of 1874, near Burlingame, to Miss Lucy Crumb; they have three children - Laura, Mary and Ada. Mr. Buek is a member of, and established Corinthian Lodge, No. 79, A., F. & A. M. Is a member of Sheldon Post, No, 35, G. A. R. In November, 1882, he was elected to a seat in the popular branch of the Legislature, and as independent Republican.
SAMUEL H. BUCHANAN, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., August 4, 1846; son of David W. Buchanan and Margaret Henry. His grandparents on his father's side were David Buchanan and Margaret McBride; on his mother's side Samuel Henry and Mary Ralston. He received a good common school education in his native town. He lived in Peoria county, Ill., several years and came to Kansas in 1878. He settled in Dragoon Township, where he owns a farm on Dragoon Creek with excellent improvements. He was married in Farmington, Ill., June 1, 1871, to Miss Anna E., daughter of Joseph Harvey and Cynthia Kenlay. They have two children - Jessie S., born April 10, 1873; and Mary E., born September 28, 1880. Mr. Buchanan is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
A. C. EASTER, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Highland County, Ohio, November 4, 1838; son of John Easter and Mary A. Miller. His paternal grandparents were Jacob Easter and Jacob Miller; and his maternal grandparents were Elizabeth Evans, and Mary Barnett. He was educated at Butler University, Ind., graduating class of 1864. He was set apart to the ministry, by the Christian Church in Sabina, Clinton Co., Ohio, 1866. He came to Kansas in 1869, and settled first in Wabaunsee County, but later settled in Dragoon Township, where he owns a splendid farm containing 240 acres, all improved; corn the principal crop. He soon became the pastor of the Christian Church in Burlingame, and still holds that position, very much loved by his people. He was married in Clinton County, Ohio, August 24, 1864, to Miss Angeline M., daughter of Abner C. Mills and Huldah Hall. They have three children - Perry H., born in Highland County, Ohio, January 15, 1866; Grace M., born in Clinton County, Ohio, June 14, 1868; and Burnell M., born in Osage County, Kan., April 19, 1871.
SAMUEL M. HATFIELD. farmer, Section 28, P. O. Pop Corn; born in Dublin, Ind., December 7, 1841; son of George C. Hatfield and Lydia Dunbar. He grew up in Wabash County, Ind. Enlisted October 24, 1861, in Company D, Forty-seventh Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and on December 4, 1863, was transferred to Forty-seventh Regiment, Indiana Veterans, and discharged October 23, 1865. He came to Kansas in 1869; settled in Topeka, where he remained two years and then settled in Osage City and was engaged in the grocery business. In 1879, he bought a farm in Dragoon township, containing 160 acres of improved land. Besides his own farm, he is farming on a large scale and owns a coal mine on his farm which is being worked to good advantage. He was married in Osage City, June 8, 1871, to Miss Mary O., daughter of John C. Williams and Mary Wilson. They have three children - Ernest E., born April 12, 1874; Olive A., born December 28, 1876; and Eva M., born September 21, 1882. Mr. Hatfield is an Odd Fellow and a member of the G. A. R.
DANIEL R. KILBOURNE, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Canada, November, 1837; son of Benjamin Kilbourne and Sophia Corley. He was educated at Stanstrad Academy and the University of Vermont. Came to the United States in 1856, settled in Illinois, and in 1871 came to the State and settled in Dragoon Township. Owns 440 acres improved, good buildings, fine orchard, etc. Mr. Kilbourne is one of the most enterprising farmers in his immediate neighborhood. He is public spirited, and always ready to lend his voice and influence in favor of every worthy enterprise. He enlisted in 1862 in Company I, Fourteenth Regiment Illinois Cavalry. His regiment followed the guerrilla Morgan, and were in the battle of Knoxville, Tenn., and with Gen. Sherman in his march to the sea. He was promoted from Second Lieutenant to Captain by brevet, and was honorably discharged October, 1865. He was nnited (sic) in marriage January 1, 1868, in Rockford, Ill., to Miss Alice E., daughter of Jerome B. Brewer. They have three children - Gertrude V., Charles II and Floyd A. Mr. Kilbourne is a Master Mason and a member of E. P. Sheldon Post, No. 79, G. A. R. He has served several terms as a Justice of the Peace.
HON. JOHN L. ROOKS, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., May 9, 1803; son of Daniel Rooks, born in Maine, and Prudence Dickason, born in Litchfield, Conn. His grandparents were John Rooks and Elijah Dickason. He lived in Potter County, Pa., thirty-seven years, where he was a Justice of the Peace for fifteen years and was elected and served as County Judge for five years. He came to Kansas in 1858 and settled in Dragoon township, taking up 160 acres and improving them. He has been twice married: In Potter County, Pa., January 7, 1827, to Miss Delilah Kibbe, who died October 10, 1876; he was again married in Burlingame, Kansas, September 30, 1877, to Mrs. Elizabeth Bigalow. He has had nine children, four of whom are dead. Mr. Rooks has been for many years a Baptist. He was offered the nomination to Congress, but declined to enter the political arena. The richest legacy he will leave his children will be the memory of a life of honor and integrity.
EDWARD SILVER, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Washington County, Md., August 24, 1828; son of Edward Silver and Mary Locher; his parents dying when he was a mere child, he went with his aunt into the Shenandoah Valley, Va., and there he grew to manhood. In 1860 he went to Tazewell County, Ill., and eight years after came to Kansas, settled in Dragoon Township, where he owns 160 acres of improved land. He was married in Tazewell County, Ill., November 19, 1864, to Miss Marilla O., daughter of Uriah Briggs and Mary Holcomb, born September 14, 1844. They have seven children - Millard F., born March 6, 1866; Mary L., born August 3, 1868; Ann V., born September 21, 1871; Edward U., born April 23, 1874; Emma M., born March 1, 1876; George W., born February 26, 1879; and John F., born September 30, 1881. They lost an infant, born August 27, 1867, and died September 11, 1867.
BASVIL P. SEYMOUR, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Burlingame. Was born in Rootstown, Portage Co., Ohio, August 4, 1833. Son of Erastus Seymour and Mary Ann Chapman. Mr. S. was brought up in his native town and received such an education as the common school and a course at the Normal afforder, and then taught school several terms. His early life was spent on a farm. He came to this State in 1857, and settled in Auburn, Shawnee County, and in 1868 he moved to Osage County and settled in Dragoon township, where he developed a fine farm, which he recently sold, and bought a small farm, on which he resides. He had his buildings and improvements destroyed by a cyclone, but undaunted he again set to work to repair the damage. He was united in marriage to Miss Emeline, daughter of David and Mary Hammond, in Auburn Kansas, March 31, 1859, who became derranged from neuralgia and died March 5, 1860. He then returned to Ohio for a short time, but returned and was again married in Auburn, April 4, 1861, to Miss Mary J., daughter of Jacob Blanden and Cloe O. Allen. They had five children - Erastus Loomis, born June 28, 1862; died May 24, 1870; Edward Martin, born June 28, 1863; Charles Allen, born September 4, 1866, died November 29, 1879; Lettie Blanden, born December 26, 1868, and George Chapman, born June 18, 1873. Mr. Seymour was one of the constituent members of the Presbyterian Church in Auburn, and held the office of an elder. He is now a member and elder of the Presbyterian Church in Burlingame.
MERRIT M. STOW, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Burlingame, was born in the town of Windsor, Broome Co., N. Y., in 1820. Son of Horace H. Stow and Sarah G. Mathews. He came to Kansas in 1859 and settled in Woodson County, and in 1862 came to Osage County and settled in Dragoon Township. He owns a farm of 120 acres. Has in it rock, coal and timber. He enlisted in 1861 in Company A, Ninth Regiment Kansas Cavalry, but was soon after discharged. He was married in Bellevidere, Ill, October 23, 1845, to Mary, daughter of Thomas and Sarah A. Judge, and they have six children - Leonard R., born March 24, 1847; Sarah A., December 8, 1848; Levi D., December 13, 1850; Sabina M., born October 4, 1853; Louis O., June 18, 1856; and Ella C., born April 11, 1858. Mr. Stow is a member of the Methodist Church.
HIRAM WARD, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Grayson County, Va., January 27, 1837. Son of Stephen and Mahala (Wilkinson) Ward, who descended from Cheslley T. Ward and Thomas Wilkinson. He was brought up in his native county on a farm and was educated in the pay schools of his time. He moved to Benton County, Ark., and during the late war he was conscripted into the Confederate army but soon made his escape and came to Kansas in 1862, and became Second Lieutenant of Company C, Second Volunteer, Kansas State Militia, and participated in the engagements with Sterling Price, at Westport. He was taken prisoner and compelled to march to Nutonia without shoes or clothing, and was there paroled. He first settled in Shawnee County, but in 1866 came to Osage County and bought a farm in Dragoon Township, where he has since resided. He makes thoroughbred stock a specialty. He has served ten years as Justice of the Peace, and for the past three years has been President of the Burlingame Union Agricultural Society. He has succeeded in prohibiting gambling and horse racing on the fair grounds. Of course, he is not liked by the sporting fraternity but he is highly respected by all good citizens, the farmers especially. He was married in Grayson County, Va., May 24, 1856, to Miss Lydia A., daughter of Henry and Rebecca Isam Wilson. They have no children of their own, but have adopted a bright little girl (Lulu M.), born Feb. 2, 1874. Mr. Ward and wife are members of the Methodist Church in Burlingame.
OSAGE CITY, PART 1.
Osage City is the metropolis of Osage County, and is pleasantly situated on the level valley lands, on the north side of Salt Creek. The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad passes through the central part of the city from northeast to southwest.
The population of the town within its corporate limits is about 2,500, but adjoining are several tracts, laid off in lots, and occupied by residences, which, though outside the corporation, properly belong to the town, and will swell the population to fully 3,400.
The streets of the city are provided with lamps at each corner, are wide, and are kept in good order. A great many of both the business houses and residences are large structures, neat in design. Along the business streets are many large and costly buildings of brick and stone. All branches of business are carried on, and all are prosperous. The educational and religious institutions are of a very superior order.
The greater part of other town site is on Section 26, Township 16, Range 14 east. The original town site was nearly all on the west side of the railroad. The principal additions, are Wetherell's and Dodd & Boyd's Additions on the east; Dodd's and Dodds & Martin's Additions on the south of the last named; east of which is Rosenberg's Addition. East of Wetherell's Addition is Jennings'. North of the original town is Wetherell's Second Addition.
The first settlement made in the neighborhood of Osage City, was at a point about one and one-half miles west, by E. Kibbe and family, in March, 1865. The next was in June, 1866, by C. S. Martin and family. After that settlement progressed quite slowly until the town was surveyed. There were, however, many farms opened in the vicinity, previous to that time, many of them by Swedes.
Osage City was surveyed and platted late in the year 1869, after the route of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad had been fixed, but before it had been built to that point. T. J. Peter, then superintendent of the Railroad Company, had purchased a large tract of land of John N. Wetherell, and had agreed that a railroad station should be located on the land of the latter. The original town site, west of what is now the business part, was surveyed by the Arkansas Valley Township Company, which was composed generally of officials of the above named railroad. About the same time Wetherell made an addition on the east, and began selling lots, through John F. Dodd, his agent.
Building began at once. The first lumber for the store of Bothel & Ryus, was hauled on December 3, 1869. The store was finished and opened in January, 1870. A little before this John F. Dodd's Hotel, west of the railroad track was finished and opened. It now forms a part of the City Hotel which occupies the same site. Several buildings were commenced during the winter, the second store being that of Drew & Playford, opened in March, 1870. Soon after, John A. Martin opened the first hardware store. In the fall of 1868, a post-office had been established, less than one mile distant from the present Osage City, and was called Onion Creek. Thomas Martin was postmaster. In March, 1870, the name of the office was changed to Osage City, and John F. Dodds was appointed postmaster. The first sermon preached in Osage City, was by C. S. Martin, in February, 1870.
During the year 1870, the town grew quite rapidly. The first regular train of cars passed through in May. John F. Dodds, as agent for the Arkansas Valley Town Company, and for J. M. Wetherell, was very active in the sale of lots, and inducing settlers to locate. The greater number of buildings were erected on Wetherell's Addition, and this has ever since been the business center of the city. In the summer of 1870, the first coal mines were opened by the Osage Carbon, Coal & Mining Company.
In 1870, a large two story brick schoolhouse was erected, which was afterwards blown down, and one story again built up, and now is used as one of the ward schools. The first marriage in the vicinity of Osage City, was that of James H. Kibbe to Hannah Martin, October 13, 1867. The first on the town site was that of Mr. Fowler and Mrs. Giggsby. The first birth was a child to Dr. and Mrs. McCormack. The first death was that of Mrs. Samuel Shaffer.
After the township was surveyed it grew very rapidly for about three years, after which a somewhat dull period was experienced for a few years and during which time it progressed but slowly. As soon as business throughout the country began to revive, the town again began to grow rapidly, and its improvement and development has since progressed steadily.
In June, 1874, the town was visited by a sever wind-storm. The two story brick schoolhouse and the Catholic Church were blown down, the Swedish Church was blown off the foundation, a few barns and small buildings blown down, and several business houses and residences slightly damaged.
During the history of the town there have been but few fires. There have been instances where one or two buildings were destroyed at a time, but not until November 2, 1882, was the town visited by a general conflagration. The fire broke out about four o'clock, on the morning of the above date, on the north side of Market Street, between Fifth and Sixth. It was not long until the half square from the post-office to the railroad track was on fire. The only aid in extinguishing it was a Babcock Extinguisher, and a hose. A large number of men soon gathered, and every effort was made to save the buildings on the opposite side of the street, and the post-office building. This was accomplished only with the greatest difficulty. The buildings on the south side of the street were damaged considerably. The total loss by the fire is estimated at $35,000.
Osage City was incorporated as a city of the third class about the lst of April, 1872. The first city officers were John A. Martin, Mayor; A. C. Sine, Clerk and Marshal; S. M. Barry, Attorney; J. C. Williams, Police Judge; T. J. Mathews, Treasurer; Samuel Reed, Assessor; Samuel Slusser, Street Commissioner. The first City Council were Samuel Slusser, W. H. Hobbs, Thomas Jenkins, T. J. Mathews, and O. J. Sweadman.
On May 27, 1879, Osage City was incorporated as a city of the second class. The first officers were: James Gilson, Mayor; D. O. Crane, Clerk; W. H. Dodds, Treasurer; J. W. Jackson, Police Judge; C. S. Martin, Attorney. The City council was as follows: First Ward. - Joseph Stott, and O. E. McElfresh; Second Ward - John Ogren, and A. J. Richmond; Third Ward. - John Gray, and Charles Leander; Fourth Ward. - W. H. Smith, and John A. Martin. Of the Board of Education, H. Kirby was President; and W. W. Miller, Treasurer. The remainder of the Board were J. V. Admire, P. Hanberg, H. O. Anderson, G. Johnson, E. Mills, T. B. Edwards, and W. L. Schenck. The present officers are -: Mayor, A. B. Cooper; Clerk, C. D. O. Crane; Attorney, C. S. Martin; Police Judge, J. W. Jackson; Watch, William Jackson; Justices of the Peace, Elijah Mills, A. M. Hale; Constables, L. W. Learn, W. J. McMillen; Councilmen; First Ward - A. J. Bolander, Charles Stackhouse; Second Ward - H. I. Doom, Benjt. (sic) Olson; Third Ward-John Gray, Thomas Kimball; Fourth Ward - Samuel Marshall, T. G. Randall.
SCHOOLS, CHURCHES, AND THE PRESS.
Before the beginning of Osage City a school district had been formed, and a schoolhouse had been built within a mile from the town site. This was in 1868. In the fall of 1870, the schoolhouse was moved to the new town. E. Mills was the first teacher. The two-story brick schoolhouse was completed soon after. Different departments have been added, until now, including the City, Superintendent of Schools, eleven teachers are employed. There are now 1,062 pupils of school age in the district. In the central part of the city is the large two-story brick schoolhouse erected in 1880, at a cost of $20,000, in which eight departments are taught. The other schools are taught in smaller houses in various parts of the city. The school is in a very prosperous condition, each department in charge of a competent teacher. In the high school an academic course of study is pursued.
The City Board of Education is as follows: J. V. Admire, Chairman; E. Mills, Clerk; D. W. Morgan, H. O. Anderson, T. M. Truitt, Asher Adams, T. M. Gruwell, Robert Craig, Sam Slusser, W. H. Scott, J. M. Abbott, Superintendent of Schools.
The Christian Church was formed in April, 1880, with thirteen members, which have been increased to twenty-six. There has never been a regular pastor, but C. S. Martin, under whose lead the church was organized, officiates. This society is in a prosperous condition and regular services are held.
The Swedenborgian Church was organized in May, 1873, by Rev. Adam Peabody, the State Missionary, with twelve members. The society now numbers twenty-three members, and services are held regularly in the old "Free Press" building.
The Osage City Free Press was established in August, 1871, by W. H. Morgan and A. B. Cooper. It was then called the Osage City Shaft, but in March, 1875, John P. Campbell purchased it and changed the name to the Free Press. After publishing the paper about a year he sold it to W. H. Morgan, who continued it until March 1, 1881, when it was purchased by the present editor and proprietor, J. V. Admire. This paper is an eight-column folio, and Republican in politics. It is printed on a Campbell steam-powered press. Under its present editorial management it is considered one of the leading newspapers in the State.