|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (FAGER - MULLER).
JOSEPH FAGER, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Osage Mission, a native of Fayette County, Ky., was born in 1855. His parents came from Baden, Germany, to America in 1852; landing at New Orleans; they went to Lexington, Ky., and farmed there. In 1869 his father died, leaving his widow with a family of seven sons and two daughters. In 1880 they moved to Kansas and located on the McLiernan farm, their present home. Mr. Joseph Pager was raised on a farm and now, with his brothers, farms 160 acres with good results. In 1882 they raised forty-five bushels of corn to an acre and twenty bushels of wheat, which is a good average. He also handles stock enough to consume the corn raised.
C. B. FRASER, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Osage Mission, is a native of Nova Scotia, and was born in 1830. He was raised and educated at home, and when starting on his travels went to Boston, Mass., and from there to Michigan, working in the pineries thirteen years. In 1861 he enlisted in the Fifth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, Company C, and fought in eighteen hard battles, being wounded at Williamsburg in the hand, and in the leg at Fredericksburg, and was discharged February 17, 1863. He returned to Michigan, where he remained until 1868, when he moved to Iowa, but the climate did not suit him, so he moved to Neosho County, Kan., in 1870, locating on his present farm, which he has improved, having fine orchards, and for 1882 abundant crops. He belonged to the Settlers' Protective Association, and deeded his farm in 1874. In the spring of 1866 he married Mrs. Crews Staltz, widow of George Staltz, who was drowned in White River, Mo. He was in the Nineteenth Iowa Volunteers. She had three sons at the time of marriage. Mr. Fraser is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. P. GALBREATH, farmer and stock dealer, Section 7, P. O. Osage Mission, native of Maryland, born in 1832. In 1878 he came to Kansas and located on a farm, in Section 7. While farming he also gave his attention to other business, especially to improving the county roads, taking contracts and grading the first roads in Neosho County, completing the first three miles in the present year of 1882. He is now in the cattle and hog business, shipping from Osage Mission, which is one of the principal shipping points in this part of the State.
LEWIS GITTINGS, dealer in lumber, lath, shingles, etc., native of Kentucky, born in 1823. He is a practical lumberman, having spent some six years in the pineries of Wisconsin at Black River Falls. We find him in Illinois in 1854, farming and handling lumber. In 1872, he came to Osage Mission, Kan., and entered the lumber business by buying Mr. Haynes' interest in Haynes & Weatherwax's yard. They then bought the stock in Mr. Brown's yard, and also that of Ben Venams, thus controlling the business. In 1881 two other yards were established, but he succeeded in consolidating them, and carried on the business since as Lewis Gittings. He sold one and one-half million feet of lumber in 1872, and in 1882 about 600,000 of lumber, and the same of shingles. His competitors now are the firm of Koenig & Wimsatt. Mr. Gittings is a member of the Catholic Church, and a straightforward business man. His family are living in Osage Mission.
GREEN & TEEPLE, furniture factory, established in 1883, January 1. Mr. Green came to Kansas in 1870, locating in Wilson County, farming till 1875. He then moved to Gilford in order to educate his children, and in 1879 came to Osage Mission, and went into the furniture business with Mr. Martin. the firm was known as Martin & Green till Mr. Martin sold his interest, and it became Green & Nanzworthy, until 1882, when Mr. Green took possession of the business, carying (sic) it till the present firm was formed. They carry a full stock of furniture and undertaking goods, and are doing a good business. Mr. Green is a charter member of the Masonic Lodge, 412, of Hardenburg, Ind. He was also a member of the Thirteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company A, and is now a member of the G. A. R.
SEBASTIAN GRONER, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Osage Mission, native of Germany, born in 1815, and came to America in 1829, having learned the trade of weaver. In 1836 his wife, who was born in his neighborhood in Germany, came to America, and in 1845 they were married, coming to Kansas in 1866, locating where the family now live, putting up a log cabin, and opening a farm from the wild prairie sod. The family lived in the old cabin until one day in 1878, a cyclone swept their house away, taking the mother with it, but luckily she escaped without harm of a serious nature. They then built their present residence, and prospered in their work till they had the misfortune to lose their father and protector, who died in 1882, March 22, leaving Mrs. Groner, Mary (now Mrs. Reit), Kate (now Mrs. Lee, a widow), John, Lina, Anna and Henry - the last now farms the homestead.
J. T. HARSHFIELD, grocer, native of Greene County, Ind., born in 1845. He and his brothers came to Kansas in 1865, locating on a farm, where they made a living by breaking sod for themselves and their neighbors; at this business, he continued until 1876, when he came to Osage Mission, and clerked for J. Koenig in the grocery. In 1878 he opened an establishment under the firm name of Harshfield Bros., until 1880, when it became J. T. Harshfield. He carries a stock of $1,400, and does a business of $4,500. Mr. H. married Miss Shoptaw, who is now dead, leaving him three boys. She died in January, 1882.
MOTHER BRIDGET HAYDEN, a member of the Loretto Society, Superior of the Academy of St. Ann, Kan., is a native of Kilkenny, Ireland, born in 1815. In 1820 her family moved to America, located in St. Louis. Mother Bridget entered the Convent at Cape Girardeau, and in 1842 took the veil, renouncing the world, and becoming a Sister of Loretto, having their mother house in Marion County, Ky., and in 1847, together with Mother Concordia Henning, superior then, Sister Mary Van Prater, Sister Vincentia Van Cool and herself, were sent among the Osage Indians. This little band of Sisters, with Father Shoenmakers, started a mission, lived in a little world of their own with no protector, teaching the savage nations to worship their Savior. The Indians learned to love their teachers and in this way they were protected. These patient, persevering Sisters endured hardships and privations for years, and in 1859, Sister Bridget Hayden became Mother Superior of this mission. Under her care the school has increased from six girls in 1847 to 135 in 1882. The buildings and improvements are worth some $50,000, and there is a farm of 260 acres. There are now twenty-two Sisters in the Convent. They relate many touching reminiscences of native Indian girls, and their love for the Holy Sisters.
J. S. HEDZARD, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Osage Mission, native of Providence, R. I., born December 24, 1823. In 1858 he determined to go to Kansas and cast his future with hers. Arriving in Jefferson City, he took the stage for Harrisonville. He got only to Mound City, Linn County. Here he took part in the Free state struggle. Was out with Jim Lane, having a narrow escape, when taking some negroes to Leavenworth, from a party of Quantrell's men, and when over in Cass County, Mo., was captured four times, and was finally let go by the bushwhackers with only his pants and shirt for clothing. He located on a farm near Mound City in 1859, but the year of the drought compelled him to sell it, and he got a fifty-dollar note, that never was paid, and two barrels of whisky, and then started for Illinois, with a drove of hogs, arriving in Richland County, where his drove died of cholera, leaving him almost penniless. He then worked as house carpenter; getting to St. Louis, he went up the Missouri River to Wyandotte. Here he joined the force under Major Sturges, and followed Rani's force into Missouri, going to Springfield, Carthage and Wilson's Creek, then to Kansas, again going to Paola and taking his family to Leavenworth, he hauled goods to Osage Mission for G. P. Foster & Co. In 1866 he left sixteen herd of cattle to winter here and went West; in the spring six of the cattle were alive. In 1867 he took his present claim and opened up his farm. He has always had good crops, raising 89 bushels of corn to an acre on an eight-acre piece, and in another season 79 bushels and 4 quarts to an acre on 16acres. This was measured, ground and weighed. He has been married twice, in 1846, and again in 1868. He has ten children.
GEORGE HILL, lawyer, was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., April 4, 1847. He removed to Iowa in 1855, and moved from Iowa to McDonough County, Ill., in 1861. While living in McDonough County he attended Lincoln University. He attended law school at Ann Arbor, Mich., in the winter of 1871-72. His father was a farmer, and he was raised well. He was admitted to the bar in 1874, and the same year he formed a law partnership with Mr. John Hall, being then Hall & Hill. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1880, and re-elected in 1882. He is now alone practicing law. He is a member of A. O. U. W. organization, and Democrat in politics.
HENRY HITPAS, carpenter, native of Cleveland, Ohio, born in 1860; he is of German parentage; they were natives of Westphalia, Germany, and came to America in 1847, locating in Cleveland, where Henry obtained an education. They then moved onto a farm where they remained six years. He then returned to the city, learning the carpenter trade, and worked at it until November, 1882. He came West to Kansas, locating at Osage Mission, where he means to farm and work at his trade. Mr. Hitpas is a member of the Catholic Church.
CHARLES H. HOWARD, Postmaster and express agent, is a native of Oneida County, N. Y. where he was born August 4, 1832. In 1844 his parents removed to Dundee, Kane Co., Ill., where he finished his education at the High School. In 1852 he entered into mercantile business in Crystal Lake, Ill., having the winter preceding taught the village school in Algonquin, Ill. In 1853 he taught school in Rome, Wis., and also opened a store in that village. In the fall of 1855 he removed to the new town of Eau Claire, Wis., where he was elected Register of Deeds, holding that position for three consecutive terms, from January 1, 1856, to the end of 1861. In that year, his health having become impaired, he took a trip to Montana Territory, staying six months in Salt Lake City while absent. In 1864 he was war correspondent of the Chicago Tribune, specially assigned to accompany Grant in his famous campaign of the Wilderness. At the close of the war he entered into mercantile business in Manchester, Ill., and afterward in Chicago during the year 1866, as a member of the commission house of Hamlin & Howard. In April, 1867, he emigrated to Kansas, locating finally in July of that year at Osage Mission, Neosho county, where he again, with S. S. Warner, entered into the mercantile business. In October, 1868, he was appointed Postmaster, which position he held uninterruptedly up to February 20, 1883. He was likewise express agent during that entire period, and yet retains that position. In 1870 he became editor of the Neosho County Journal, which he held for several years; and was also, from 1875, joint owner with John H. Scott, of the entire office and outfit. April 1, 1883, he purchased Mr. Scott's interest in the paper, and assumed entire control as editor and publisher. In 1855 he married Mary J. Robinson, by whom he has two children - Lillian and Edward L., the latter of whom is associated with him in the Journal office. His wife died in 1867, and in 1869 he married Nannie J. Tucker, by which union they have one child - Charles Ernest, born in 1874.
A. JACOBS, clothing, dry goods, boots and shoes. He established his business here in 1880, being now one of the leading firms. He carries when his stock is full about $14,000, and does a business generally of about $30,000. Mr. Jacobs came to Kansas from Quincy, Ill., where he was engaged in the mercantile business. He is one of the charter members of the A. O. U. W., organized in 1874, also charter member of the Knights of Honor, organized in 1876. He is one of the oldest Masons in this section, belonging to the lodge since 1864.
M. F. KENNEDY, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Osage Mission; native of Pennsylvania; born in 1824. He was raised in the farm, and on first traveling West visited Iowa, but returned to his native State, and afterward moved out to Minnesota, locating near New Ulm. When the troubles commenced with the Indians they were compelled to flee. Deserting their cabin home, they arrived in New Ulm at 3 o'clock in the morning. The fighting with the Indians commenced at 4 o'clock. Mr. Kennedy acting as Lieutenant of the force organized. The family remained there till his son, W. B., who had fled to a place of safety, returned. They then immigrated to Iowa, and in 1865 moved to Wyandotte, Kan., working on the K. P. R. R. In 1866 he came to Crawford County, taking a farm on Lime Creek, where the Indians of this section came on their annual hunt. Moving from there in 1868, he located on his present farm too late to avoid the ceded land trouble, not getting his farm deeded till 1876. Mr. Kennedy has been married twice. His wife was formerly Miss Mary Baldweaver. By his first wife he had five children, and ten by the last.
W. B. KENNEDY, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Osage Mission; native of Pennsylvania, born in 1851. In 1855 he came West with his parents, locating in Rochester, Homestead Co., Minn., moving to the western part of the State in 1861, and where the family were obliged to leave their home, driven out by the Indians. While the settlers were fighting at New Ulm, he was left in charge of the horses, but seeing a man running past he was panic-stricken, and followed; crossing the river with a German, and continuing his flight, he arrived next day, worn out, at St. Peters, forty-eight miles away. When he returned next day with a squad of soldiers, they saw the savages in the distance destroying farmhouses, etc. He was ten years of age at this time. He remained with his parents after they moved to Kansas, but in 1869 he went to Iowa, returning to this State in 1874, locating on a farm in Cherokee County; in 1882 buying his present place of his father. In 1875 he married Miss Lambs. They have four children, one deceased.
KOENIG & WIMSATT, lumber dealers. The yard was established in 1881, March 1, and in August Mr. Wimsatt was taken into partnership. They are now doing a good business. Mr. Koenig is a native of Germany. Immigrating to America in 1858, he located in Ohio, and engaged in farming and carpenter trade. Before settling in Kansas, he traveled through Minnesota, Tennessee, Arkansas, Illinois, and from Missouri to his present location. He is a member of the Catholic Church. Both members of the firm are married.
P. LAKE; firm of Lake & Showalters; native of Canada, born February 14, 1852. His parents moved to Illinois, where both father and mother died. In 1865 his brother Reuben and himself came to Kansas, locating on a farm in Neosho County, four and one-half miles west and two miles north of the Mission. This was the first settlement west of the river. For a few years, until 1868, they carried on the farm. Then Reuben went to milling, and in 1871 Peleg started south, taking in the Indian Nation, Texas and Arkansas, returning to the Mission in 1873. He then engaged in farming and mining in Kansas and Missouri. In 1878 Mr. Lake married Miss A. Alexander, daughter of John Alexander. Farmed until 1880, when he moved to the Mission and established his grocery business, now having $3,000 in stock, and doing $15,000 a year in trade or business, forming the firm of Lake & Showalters January 1, 1883. Mr. Lake's family consists of himself and wife, with two children; his wife's sisters are also a part of his family. In politics Mr. Lake is a Democrat.
DR. R. C. LEAKE is a native of Kentucky, born March 13, 1825, commencing the study of medicine in the year 1851, with his brother, Dr. N. G. Leake, M. D., graduating from the University of Louisville, Ky., March 2, 1855. He commenced practice in Clinton, Monroe Co., Mo., on the 1st day of April, 1855, where he continued until he visited Osage Mission, in November 1868. Took the railroad to Kansas City, and staging it to Fort Scott and this place. Liking the prospect, he purchased four lots from Father Schoenmakers, S. J., on St. Francis Addition, and let the contract of building his house to B. I. Smith. He then returned to his home in Clinton, Monroe Co., Mo., and closed up his business. He put his effects into a two-horse wagon on the 4th of July, 1869, and started for his pioneer home in the West. After fourteen days he arrived and opened his practice, and he soon afterward opened a drug-store, which he closed out in 1870, and established the medical firm of Drs. Leake and Neely. Then dissolved in 1871; continued the practice alone until in 1874. The doctor then closed up his affairs and went back to Shelbina, Mo., where he practiced until 1877. then established himself in St. Louis until 1878. His wife's health became so poor that he at once returned to Osage Mission, where he has been stationed since, enjoying a lucrative practice, serving most of the years since as medical director of the College of St. Francis. May 17, 1856, he married Miss Teresa E. Greenwell. They have had three children, one daughter and two sons; the oldest a daughter; she died at the age of two years, and youngest a son, and he died at age of five years. has but one surviving child, and that is a son. Dr. Leake is a member of the Catholic church.
T. H. LOCK, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Osage Mission, is a native of Kentucky, born in 1834. He was raised on a farm, and moving to Illinois, remained there in the same line until moving to Kansas. While in Illinois he married Miss Littler. In 1877 he moved to Kansas, locating in Neosho County, buying his farm of 160 acres of George Odell, who had partly improved it, planting some seedling peaches - the trees are still standing. Mr. Lock has, however, built and fenced and has also directed his attention to stock, grading his cattle in Short-horn, and having a fine strain of hogs. Their family consists of eight children - four boys and four girls.
FRANCIS McCLARNEN, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Osage Mission, is a native of Ireland, born in 1838. The family of four brothers and one sister came over to America, and at once came to Kansas, locating in 1867 on four adjoining claims, taking wild prairie and improving it, building their cabins. The party consisted of James, Francis, Henry and Thomas, the last two are twins, and a sister who is now Mrs. Smith; two of the claims, those of James and Henry, were entered at once on money borrowed at 50 per cent., but, through his lawyer's neglect, Francis did not get his till 1874. For the fifteen years he has been here he has made a great improvement, fencing, planting an orchard, and reports good crops from the first, the best corn crop being that of 1882. He is also grading his native cattle, with Short-horns, having a seven-eighths blood now. Mr. McClarnen has been married twice, and is now a widower. He has one boy by his first marriage living and two girls by his second. In 1872 he was Supervisor and again in 1880.
HUGH McCORMICK, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Osage Mission, a native of Ireland, born in 1833. Came to America in 1853. In 1857 he came to Kansas and located on what is known as the Kaiser farm, where he at present is farming in grain and stock and doing well. The last year, 1882, his crops of corn, wheat, flax and fruits were excellent. He brought to the State nine children, of whom the eldest, John, is a teacher. The others are all working at home on the farm and are members of the Catholic Church.
D. L. McDOUGAL, grocery, is a native of Canada, born in 1827. He learned the grocery business in his old home, and in 1872 established himself in business in Osage Mission. From the first year he did a smashing trade, and as the panic and grasshopper years of 1873-74 and '75 passed, continued on steadily and is now established on a firm basis. He carries a stock of about $2,500, and does a business of $15,000 a year. In 1882 he started a marble yard in partnership with Mr. Stanley. They carry a variety of valuable stones.
L. W. McKIEARNAN, retired, is a native of Illinois, born in 1838. While in this State he married Miss McKiearnan, and in 1868 his father, Peter, came to Kansas, where he followed the latter part of the same year. His father had already entered 160 acres where they lived for years near enough to the town to enjoy both the market and school facilities. In 1880 they moved to Osage Mission where Mr. McKiearnan entered into business, but his health failed and he went to traveling. He has since returned home somewhat restored to health. The first serious break in his constitution occurred in 1862, while serving in the First Illinois Cavalry. His father, Peter, is a native of Virginia, but was raised in Kentucky, having come to Kansas in 1868. He relates many early scenes and incidents of the Indians before they left the Mission.
J. MARTIN, meat market, native of Ohio, born in 1834. He came to Kansas, in 1877, locating in Osage Mission, where he went into the furniture business, however he sold this to Hentzen & Co., going into the meat business; the firm then was Martin & Son, but this year, 1882, it was changed to Martin and Bernhauser, they are doing a good business. Mr. Martin was a soldier in the Rebellion, serving in the One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio volunteer Infantry, Company H. He served three years.
P. W. MESS, teacher, a native of Luxemburg, Germany, born in 1842, and came to America, in 1847, with his parents, settling in Ohio. Went to school, and after attending Heidelberg College he entered the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company D, and in the battle of Dallas, Ga., he lost an arm, returning home November 8, 1864. He then attended Heidelberg, at Tiffin; leaving there he went to the Wesleyan University, finishing at the Benedictines, St. Vincents, Pa. He then came west on a flying trip and located in Neosho County, teaching in district schools the years of 1874-75-76. In the fall of 1877, he took charge of one of the rooms in the college of the Catholic Mission, where hi is now engaged. He is a single man and has valuable home property in the city.
B. F. MOUSER, druggist and apothecary, Osage Mission, is a native of Fayette County, Ohio, born August 16, 1844. He came to this city in 1874, and established his business, bringing his stock from St. Louis, Mo. Mr. Mouser is a member of the A. O. U. W., also of the Masonic fraternity. In politics he is a Democrat.
F. MULLER, proprietor of the Neosho House. A native of Rhine Bavaria, Germany, born in 1852. The family came to America, in 1867, locating in Ohio. In 1878, he came to Kansas, remaining three months, then returned to Ohio, and nine months afterward he came to Kansas and opened a saloon in Osage Mission, having been in the same business for three years in Ohio; in this line he prospered until the Prohibition Amendment closed his saloon. On the 25th of April, 1881, he opened the Neosho House. Besides the hotel he has a fine piece of land consisting of eighty acres, adjoining the city, in Section 24, Mission Township. Mr. Muller is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Catholic Church.