|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (NATHAN - WOODWORTH).
S. NATHAN & BROS., clothing house, established in 1871; this is the largest exclusively clothing enterprise here, carrying a stock of $14,000 to $15,000 when full and doing about $30,000 a year in their line of business. The came here from Chicago, there being now N. Nathan & E. Nathan managing the business. N. Nathan, the eldest, joined the Masonic Lodge in 1878, the O. O. O. F. in 1866, and the A. O. U. W. in 1879.
M. NAUDIER, relict of John B. Naudier. Both were natives of France and were the same age. Born in 1816. In 1827 her parents emigrated to America locating in Clermont county, Penn., where she met Mr. N. and in 1835 was married to him by Bishop Kendrick. They moved west to Illinois, and in 1857 started for Kansas, taking Durham cattle, fine horses and machinery to start a stock ranch. In April they arrived at Fort Scott and took a claim north of the city, or military post at that time. The jayhawkers compelled them to go to the post for protection; while there observed the shooting of Little. for a while they lived on Kaw Creek, where they had gone to make hay. Here Mr. N. was taken sick and just escaped to Fort Scott in time to save his life from the border ruffians. On August 14, 1867, they moved to Osage Mission, and built the Neosho House, the first hotel built in the place, having to make their brick for the building. September 14, 1868, Mr. N. died. Mrs. Naudier carried on the building until it was completed, and for the first few years made $100 a week. In 1881 she sold the hotel to F. Muller for $2,600, and retired from business, living in a house near the Mission, and now in a fine, comfortable house next door north of the hotel. Mr. Naudier was one of the Town Company, when it was laid out and incorporated. Mrs. N. is a member of the Catholic Church.
A. NEIGHBORS, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Osage Mission; native of Grayson county. Born October 3, 1820. He was raised on a far, and in 1844 he married Miss Susan Carrico. Coming to Kansas in 1868 he arrived in Neosho County November 5, in company with Mr. Sommers, who stopped in the Mission while Mr. Neighbors took a claim four miles south of Mission, where he opened a farm, living there till 1870, when he moved to this location, farming with success, the land being bottom land. He raises a crop of some grain every year, in 1882 having fifty bushels of corn to the acre and ten bushels of beans. They have six boys and three girls and are members of the Catholic Church.
JOSEPH NEWTON, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Osage Mission; native of Indiana. Born in 1861. His father, D. K., and family came to Kansas in September, 1873, locating in Osage Mission, where he went into the stock business as dealer, with J. Quinlin, and in 1875, March 3, located on their present farm. In 1877 Mr. Newton died and the boys took charge of the estate, farming in stock and grain, succeeding very well, the corn raised in 1882 averaging fifty bushels to the acre. The farm is well improved with a fine orchard of apple and peach trees. The family consists of two boys and three girls and Mrs. Newton. There are seven children deceased.
W. P. PATTEN, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Osage Mission. Native of Washington County, Penn.; born in 1834; here he was raised and educated, graduating from Jefferson college in 1859. Read law with Hon. William McKenan, and was admitted to the Washington County bar in 1862. Then enlisted in the First Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, Company L, and served till close of the war. Returned home and remained there, with the exception of one year spent in Iowa, until coming to Kansas, March, 1876. Bought 160 acres of Col. T. H. Butler, where he now lives, carrying on a grain and stock farm. The best season he has had was in 1880, when his corn averaged fifty bushels to the acre. Crop of 1882 was also good. His family consists of himself, wife and two daughters. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge and of the G. A. R.
REV. PAUL M. PONZIGLIONE, S. J., Secretary of the Board of Trustees of St. Francis Institution for Boys. Father Ponziglione is an Italian by birth and in dedicating his life to the brotherhood, was subjected to the persecution. On taking orders in the Brotherhood, he surrendered a high position among the nobility of Italy, and was obliged to come to the New World in order to fully enjoy the right of the religious sect to which he belongs, and in 1851 was sent West to the mission of the Osage Indian, where he joined Father Schoenmakers in the holy work of converting the heathen to the Church of Christ. He is now about fifty-six years of age, enjoying still all the vigor and endurance which ever characterized his early manhood. The incidents and reminiscence of his missionary work among the Indian tribes are spoken of in the early history of this mission.
J. V. PIERCE, banker, is a native of Jefferson County, H. Y. Born in 1837. He was raised on his father's farm and remained at home after he had obtained his majority, to place the homestead out of debt, which he succeeded in doing. Then he proceeded to finish his education and fit himself for business, as farm life was injurious to his health. He attended the University at home and the Syracuse College, leaving there for a position in a mercantile establishment. In 1862, he was commissioned as a officer in the One Hundred and Forty-seventh New York Regiment and served three years, and discharged at close of war in 1865. He came west and engaged in mercantile business in Fort Scott, Bourbon County, from 1865 to 1871, when, in company with Mr. Mitchell, he established a private bank at Osage Mission, Kan. This was merged into the Neosho County Savings Bank in 1872, with a capital of $100,000, carried on by a stock company. In 1876, Mr. Pierce sold out, and Mr. Bradbury took his place. Mr. Pierce then retired to his farm and remained there until 1879, when the savings bank broke, and he then returned to the city and established the City Bank, a private institution, now doing an excellent business.
T. F. RAGER, attorney, is a native of Indiana. Born July 19, 1845. Studied law at New Albany 1865-66, and was admitted to the bar May, 1867. He came to Kansas in the autumn of 1867, and located at Topeka where he remained until March, 1868, when he removed to Osage Mission, Neosho County, and commenced the practice of law among strangers, almost without means. He held the office of Justice of the Peace from 1869 to 1871. At the election 1870 he was elected County Attorney, which office he held till 1873. In 1875, he was chosen to represent his district in the Legislature of 1876. He was elected on an independent ticket by a handsome majority over both the Republican and Democratic candidates. In 1878, the Democrats nominated him as their candidate for County Attorney, and he was elected. He was re-nominated and re-elected County Attorney in 1880, being the only Democrat elected in his county that fall. He held the office till January, 1883. He filled the various offices to which he was elected, honorably and to the satisfaction of his constituents. Mr. Rager was married December, 1869, to Miss A. E. Tucker. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
CHARLES REEDINGER, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Osage Mission, native of Loraine, France; born in 1823, and emigrated to America with his parents in 1829, locating in New York, where he remained until 1860, when he started West, coming to St. Louis, Mo., where he laid in a supply of necessaries; taking the boat to Kansas City, he came into Kansas and located on Cow Creek, where he bought a claim, but soon found that the guerrillas would not let him remain, so he abandoned his farm, going to Fort Scott soon afterward, taking a farm just three miles north of Marmaton City. During the War he was called out in the militia, but was at home when Marmaton City was burned in 1864 by Price's soldiers. In 1866 he moved to his present location, taking a claim 160 acres. The first season he lost all of his cattle but three head, supposed to be poisoned by the grasshoppers. He describes his privations the first year as terrible - camping out till he built their cabin, provisions scarce, and flour selling for $16 a barrel. In 1869 he raised his first good crop. In 1877 he built his present residence, and has otherwise improved his farm. In 1856 he married Miss Luis, who came from the same part of France that he did, and coming to America in 1853. She was born in 1833. They have eight children - five boys and three girls. One daughter is in the convent at Davenport, Iowa, and one married (now Mrs. Murphy). The rest are at home.
M. RENCK, bakery and confectionery, Osage Mission, native of Stemweiler, Rhine, Bavaria; born April 17, 1822. He came to America in 1828, landing in New Orleans December 26; going then to Ohio, he located in Cincinnati, first learning the baker's business, then the tanner's, at which he worked till 1854. He came to Kansas in 1870, locating on a farm on Section 7, Mission Township, Neosho County, farming till 1873; he then commenced baking and delivering about town. He opened a grocery, which was kept by B. Spoonenberger, his son-in-law. In 1876 he sold this establishment to A. R. Moore, who continued to sell his bread. In 1878 he moved into Osage Mission, and married Mrs. Moore, still carrying on his trade, when, in 1881, he sold out to Ackland, but in the month of August bought back, and in April, 1882, moved to his present stand, the business then carried on by the firm of Renck & Vernum. August 1, 1882, it became M. Renck. He is doing a good business; his reputation as a baker is steadily increasing. Mr. Renck has been married three times - in 1842, again in 1853; to Mrs. Moore since coming to Kansas.
WILLIAM RHODES, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Osage Mission, native of Wayne County, Ill.; born in 1832, and was raised on a farm. He afterward moved to Posey County, Ind., and from there he emigrated to Kansas, bringing all he possessed in a wagon drawn by two horses. He arrived in Osage Mission in the spring of 1866; helped to build the first business house in the city, and then took a claim on Flat Rock, at Beaver's Crossing, consisting of 160 acres, on which he has lived since, raising a fair crop every year that he has farmed, and in 1882 his corn averaged seventy-five bushels to the acre. In 1866 he brought his seed corn from Springfield, Mo., paying $15 for 100 pounds of flour. Corn was $3 a bushel, and salt from $7 to $9 per barrel. Fort Scott was their market. Mr. Rhodes was married twice - first time to Nancy J. Price, who died, and he has been married since to Mary E. Gross, a native of Indiana. He has nine children living and four dead.
E. ROBBINS, M. D., native of Pennsylvania, born December 27, 1814. In 1836 he commenced the study of medicine under Dr. Benjamin Hall, in Marion county, Ohio, also entering on a preliminary course of practice. In 1839 he graduated from Yale College, and then went back to Marion. In 1840 he moved to La Grange County, Ind., where his people lived. He opened his practice and also engaged in mercantile business here. He lost by fire some $22,000 in Fayette County, Ill., where he located afterward. He was burned out again, losing considerable property. In 1870 he moved to Kansas, locating at Erie, Neosho County, where he practiced till 1872, when he moved to Osage Mission and opened an office, now doing a good business. Dr. Robbins has been married twice - to his first wife, in Fayette County, who died in 1856. He married again in 1857, to Miss Cler. He has two boys and two girls. His sons are dentists - one in business here and the other in Carthage, Ill. Doctor Robbins belongs to the Masonic order, and in 1870 was appointed Examiner for the United States Life Insurance Company, of Philadelphia, Pa. He has been a practicing physician for forty-five years.
LA FAYETTE ROSECRANS, farmer, two miles north of Osage Mission, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, in 1828. Was married to Miss Clara Dwinell, of Potsdam, N. Y., in 1850. Moved to Wyandot County, Ohio, in September, 1850, located four miles west of Carey, on Limestone Ridge, and engaged in wheat raising. During 1859 he visited Kelleys Island, accompanied by his wife, and remained three months, guests of Mr. Beatty; and while there shipped grapes to Milwaukee, Chicago, and other points to the amount of twenty tons. In the year 1865 he moved to Allen County, Ohio, and engaged in mercantile business in the firm of Saum, Rosecrans & Co. where he remained until coming to Kansas in 1870; locating in Burlington, Coffey County, he engaged in the lime and coal trade, also dealt in cattle and hogs to a considerable extent. In 1879 he moved to Osage Mission and opened a grocery and queensware store of the firm of Rosecrans & Clements. In 1881 he traded for his present home, a farm of eighty acres of upland prairie, which yielded sixty bushels of corn per acre last season; he has 1,200 bearing apple trees of the choicest varieties, also peaches, cherries, plums and small fruits, and a choice vineyard. He also owns a farm of 40 acres of river bottom land, highly productive, one acre of which yielded 105 bushels of corn. Has shipped 400,000 feet of walnut logs from Mission. Mr. Rosecrans has belonged to the Masonic lodge and the Chapter since 1854.
JOSEPH M. ROYCROFT, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Osage Mission, a native of Ireland, was born in 1842. His parents brought him to America in 1849, locating in St. Louis, where he was raised and educated. Coming to Kansas in 1860 he located, at Wakarusa, on a farm that his brother, Geo. P., had taken in 1858. For a time he farmed, then going to the city of Topeka he opened a saloon; he made money and finally came to Neosho County in 1866, taking a claim that he afterwards abandoned and took a claim that the Missouri Pacific Depot was located on. After farming this for a while he then went in partnership with John Ryan. Built in 1870 the Mission Mills, running them till 1875. Meeting with severe losses he sold in 1875 to Mr. Ryan. He then went to clerking for Detwiler in agricultural implements, and in this continued till he went into the grocery and saloon business; and in 1878 moved on to the farm, and is now raising good crops and stock. Mr. Roycroft married Miss Haley; they have two children, a boy and girl. In the count seat fight between Erie and Osage Mission he was regulator between the two parties.
J. H. SCOTT, editor of the Journal newspaper, is a native of Oriskany, Oneida Co. N. Y. He commenced his profession in 1851, entering a printing office in Utica, H. Y., where he served an apprenticeship. As a journeyman printer he visited Buffalo, Syracuse, Chicago and St. Louis. In 1856 we find him in Leavenworth working in the Herald office as a compositor. In 1862 going to Paola he published a paper known as the Crusader. Then going east to Illinois he published the Mirror at Mount Carroll. This was in 1865. In December, 1866 he purchased the Express, published at Monticello, Jones Co., Iowa; finally, returning to Kansas. He located at Osage Mission and issued the first number of the Neosho County Journal, August 5, 1868, a Republican sheet, which in 1872 had a circulation of 2,000, which afterwards decreased till within this last year, when it once more comes to the front with a large circulation, and is steadily increasing. In 1861 he married Miss Orra Wright, of Bourbon County, Kan.; they have two children. Mr. Scott has been a member of the I. O. O. F. since 1872, and is one of the charter members of Vulcan Lodge, A. O. U. W. of Osage Mission.
C. F. STAUBER, retired, a native of Northampton County, Pa., was born in 1808. Here he commenced reading medicine with Dr. Post and in 1834 went to Ohio, continuing his studies with Dr. Davis, finishing with Dr. Cost. He was located in Wayne county, and from Ohio moved to Iowa, stopping in Louisa county. He had entered the ministry in 1853, and was ordained in 1856, then combining his practice with his missionary work. In Louisa County he lost his wife and has not married since. After his loss he moved to Albia, Monroe County; to Kansas in 1867, locating in Iola, Allen County, and in August, 1868, moved to Erie, Neosho County, where he practiced with Dr. Dodge, and organized the first Christian Church in the county in 1869 and sold the building in 1873 to the Methodist organization. In 1873 he took his daughter to the Normal School at Emporia and visited his family in Iowa, returning to Erie in 1874. In 1875 he was elected County Clerk of Neosho County, and was instrumental in lowering the salaries of the county officers at that time. Dr. Stauber's children have all grown up and married. He lost one son at the Battle of Atlanta, and his eldest son (now living in Knoxville, Marion Co., Iowa) was at the capture of Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America, and was one of the Guards that took the President to Fortress Monroe. The Doctor has been seeking health at the mineral springs and returned to Osage Mission from Eureka Spring entirely recovered.
C. E. STEADMAN, M. D., graduated 1866, from Rush Medical College of Chicago, Ill., and in 1870 came to Kansas and located at Osage Mission, opening his practice, at one time belonging to the medical firm of Cogswell & Steadman. In 1876 he established his drug store, which is now known as Steadman & Childs. The jewelry establishment is Steadman & Beck, and the medical department is Steadman & Bayliss. Each department is doing well. In the drug store he carries about $3,000 in stock, and does a business of $12,000 or $15,000 a year.
J. W. STEWART, manufacturer and agent for the Parkhurst washer and wringer, born in Athens County, Ohio, in 1820, where he was educated, and afterwards in 1840, moved to Illinois, from there in 1843, he moved to Iowa, where he was engaged in farming until 1846, when he went to Green County, Wis., engaging in farming and milling while there. In 1848, we find him in Jackson County, Iowa, where he first built a mill on the Maquoketa, and afterwards another on Mineral Creek. In 1853 joined the conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church; his appointments took him to circuits in Marshall, Hardin, and Boone counties, organizing the first Methodist Episcopal Society, in Hardin County, also preaching the first sermon delivered in Marshalltown, Iowa. On the account of his health, and to help the Free-state cause, he came to Kansas, in April, 1857, locating in Franklin county, near Centropolis, where he built the first Methodist Episcopal Church edifice in the State, south of Lawrence, in the fall of 1857, and while attending his circuit in the spring of 1858, built the hall for the Constitutional Convention at Minneola, 30x60 feet, two stories high, completing in thirty days from the time it was commenced. In 1857, he was elected to the Territorial Legislature (Free-state), from a district composed of nineteen counties. In 1859, he was elected to the first State Legislature, from the counties of Miami, Linn and Bourbon, served in it, in the spring of 1861. In the fall of 1861, he assisted in making up Company F, of what is known as Nugent's Home Guards; of this company he was First Lieutenant, shortly afterwards he was transferred to the Ninth Kansas Cavalry, and resigned in 1862; he then returned home and removed to Emporia, giving his attention to the ministry, until 1864, when he moved to Garnett, Anderson County, where he went into the milling business. In 1868 he moved his mill to Erie, Neosho County; here he assisted in the organization of the Methodist episcopal Society. In 1869, he built another saw mill, and in 1870-71 built a water saw and grist mill, and in 1872, was worth at least $10,000. The panic of 1873, broke him up and destroyed his health; he then took a trip to New Mexico, remaining fifteen months, when he returned home, and in 1882 established the firm of Stewart & Smith. While in Anderson County, he was elected to the Legislature of 1866, and was charter member of both the Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges, of Garnett, Anderson county, also a charter member of the Masonic Lodge, No. 76, in Erie, and a charter member of I. O. O. F., No. 44 in Erie. In 1840, he married Miss Sarah Adams, of Illinois, who deceased in 1875. IN 1876, he married Mrs. Cleaver. They have six children. In 1883, he moved to Erie, where he now resides. Mr. Stewart still preaches from the Methodist Episcopal pulpit.
A. L. TAYLOR, Commissioner, native of Rock Island County, Ill., born in 1848. He was raised and educated on the farm, graduating from Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College, in Davenport, Iowa. He came to Kansas in 1869, locating in Big Creek Township, Neosho County, where he engaged in farming, until 1872, when he acted as Deputy County Clerk, under Mr. McMillan, and while in this position moved to Erie, the county seat, where he lived until 1877, afterwards went into the real estate business and was in the lumber business with Mr. Orton, but they sold to Mr. Gittings and in 1878, he was elected County Commissioner. In January, 1883, was elected chairman of the board. At present he is one of the firm of Gittings & Taylor, dealers in lumber, at Osage Mission, Kan.
JAMES THARP, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Osage Mission, is a native of Marion County Ky., born in 1822. In 1848 he moved to Lynn County, Mo., while here was exposed to all the unpleasant circumstances of border warfare, and during the War of the Rebellion served in the State Militia. In 1866, he moved to Kansas, locating in Neosho County, on his present farm, taking a claim of 160 acres, building a log cabin, which is occupied still, although he built a good frame in 1872, which they also live in. Mr. Tharp was on the first jury that was drawn by the first District Court in the county, and was quietly living on his farm while the county seat fight was raging. Always succeeding in raising a crop; this year his 35 acres of corn averaged 40 bushels, his 30 acres of wheat averaged 30 bushels. They have had eight children, but five living, three daughters and two sons. Mr. Tharp has been married twice.
N. TUCKER, is a native of Culpepper County, Va., born in 1824. The family moved to Ohio, locating in Muskingum County, where they farmed. He grew to manhood there and then moved to Illinois. In 1867, he came to Kansas, intending to raise stock in Neosho County. Although he bought a farm he sold it again and went into the grocery business, continuing in it until he went into the drug business with S. S. Warner; soon afterward they built another store with which he was also connected. This firm was called Tucker & Cook. He carried on this business until he went to California, intending to settle there, but sold his property, and came back to Osage Mission, and entered into the hardware business with J. M. Boyle. In 1881, he went to Pueblo, Col., and opened a boardinghouse, where he did well. He then returned to his home in Osage Mission. Mr. Tucker has been a member of the I. O. O. F., since 1872.
ROBERT ULBRICHT, meat market; the business was established in 1877, by Mr. Ulbricht, who carried it on until July, 1882, when the firm became Ulbricht & Conklin. They now do a business of $18,000 a year. Mr. Ulbricht is a native of Germany, born in 1850. Having learned his trade he traveled in Europe, shipping finally on the ship "Westphalia," under Capt. Schwenzen, he crossed the ocean seven times and deserted the ship at Hoboken, N. J.; since then he has had a wonderful experience, visiting on his way West, Michigan, California, Idaho, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, back East through Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania; he then, in 1876, spent some time seeing the Centennial; then started West again through Missouri, Arkansas, Texas and Mexico, and in trying to go farther West was stopped by the Indian outbreak, and came backup through the Indian Nation, and finally located in this place and married Miss A. McDonald.
C. G. WAITE, civil engineer, is a native of Steuben County, N. Y., born in 1828; was educated at Alfred, Geneva and Troy, N. Y. From there he commenced his engineering work on the Buffalo, New York & Erie, and has been connected with the Corning & Blomburg, Sunbury & Erie, and its branches, the various early railroad surveys of western Ohio, and coming to Kansas in 1857, located in Shawnee County, where he took part in the John Brown wing of the Free-state party, and in the War of the Rebellion, was in the Nineteenth Kansas; served on Gov. Carney's Staff as Lieutenant-Colonel, since which time he has been connected with the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, Missouri Valley, St. Louis & St. Joseph, Burlington & Missouri River and Missouri Pacific railroads in Missouri, and all the railroads in Kansas except two; has been engineer-in-chief of eight different roads, three different cities, and County Surveyor of three different counties. He married Miss Hattie A. Russell, of Pennsylvania; they have one son - Frank G.
J. F. WHEAT, grocer, native of Woodford County, Ky., born in 1830. When only five years of age he, with his parents, moved to Illinois, where he was educated and attained majority, living on the farm. In 1854 he started with oxen and wagon for California, crossing the plains and mountains in 101 days. He remained in California two and a half years, making about $80 a month. He returned by way of the ocean to New York, in 1856, and proceeded on his way home. He then remained in Illinois till 1867, engaged in farming and stock. That year he came to Kansas and located in Neosho County, Mission Township, on a farm, raising corn, wheat, oats, castor beans and flax. In 1877 he took a trip to the Big Horn country, travelling through Wyoming and Montana. He came back to his farm, but in 1879 took an exploring trip to Colorado; making nothing, he returned and, in 1880, opened a grocery in Osage Mission, carrying a select stock of $1,800 and doing a business of about $5,000 a year. Mr. Wheat married Miss Smith. They have a family of seven children; his oldest, Benjamin, is now in Oregon. Mr. Wheat is a member of the Catholic Church.
JOSEPH WILSON, harness and saddles, native of Baltimore, Md., born in 1829. In 1832 they moved to Illinois. While here his father died. Mr. Wilson engaged in the mercantile business till 1852, when, together with Mr. R. Moore, he started West, both seeking health in the pure air of the mountains. When they arrived in Oregon Mr. Wilson went south to California, where he mined for awhile, then at other work till his brother and he went to farming on the Stone Ranch, at Grizzly Bend, Sacramento River. In 1862 he returned, via Missouri River, to Sioux city, Iowa, where they arrived just after the Indian massacre. He then went to work at his trade, and in 1868 came to Kansas, opening a harness shop, which was burned out. In 1872 he took a claim on Section 231, Ladore Township, where he farmed till 1879, when he returned to Osage Mission, resuming the business he had started in 1868. He is doing a good business of some $3,000 a year.
J. P. WOODWORTH, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Osage Mission, native of Hancock County, Ill., born in 1845. His mother, who is now alive, was born in 1805, and was the first bride in the city of Hannibal, Mo. J. P. was raised by his brother E. R., as his father died in 1851. His brother preceded him to the State of Kansas, arriving in June, 1868, J. P. not getting here till 1870. They went to work with that pioneer spirit that overcomes all difficulties, and although they could not get a deed for their farms till 1874, continued improving, and now have good farms and are establishing nice homes, sending off some two cars of hogs and three of cattle this season, and reporting good crops. Mr. J. P. Woodworth married Miss Glasgow. They have six children, the last two twins. Mr. E. R. Woodworth is his brother's senior by ten years and is located next him, on Section 34. He has only three children.