|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALTHOUSE - DULLING).
A. W. ALTHOUSE, stone mill, is a native of Pennsylvania, born June 24, 1833, and in early youth went to Caroline, Tompkins Col, N. Y., where he grew up on a farm. In 1847 moving to Waupun, Fond du Lac Co., Wis., where he farmed some, dug and drilled wells for ten years. In 1857 he married Miss Helen Ketchum, then went into a pump and machine shop, coming to Kansas in 1869; he farmed awhile there; worked in J. A. Hutchings saw mill and afterward went to farming in Cowley County, returning, however, to Osage Mission and working in the National and Flat Rock Mills. In 1876 he rented the National Mill and ran it until 1878, when he commenced building the stone mill, doing the mason, carpentering and millwrighting of the building, so that it is the product of his own hands. It has a capacity of thirty barrels of flour a day and 100 bushels of corn meal and 200 of feed. He does a good grist or custom trade and some merchant trade. He had a capital of $700 when he undertook building the mill which cost $4,500. They have five children. June 24, 1882, his youngest son, De Witt, aged eighteen, was caught in one of the bands and his leg cut off above the knee, besides injuries to his back. The accident happened in the mill at 2 p. m. and at 2 a. m. next morning he died.
W. W. E. BAGLEY, carriage painter with C. Cooney, is a native of Zanesville, Muskingum Col, Ohio, born in 1836. He learned his trade of J. W. MacCormick, having his papers for his indenture as apprentice made out, he served from May 10, 1854 to 1858, remaining till 1861 as journeyman workman. He then enlisted in the three months; service, in the Fifteenth Ohio volunteer Infantry, Company C, and when the time expired he re-enlisted in the Seventy-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company C, and served until 1865, or three years and four months, returning to Zanesville and worked at his trade till he commenced his travels, visiting Cincinnati, Paris, Ky., Nashville, Tenn., back to Columbus in 1868, and then to Milwaukee, Wis., where he worked in the LaCrosse, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad shops until 1869, when he returned to Columbus, Ohio, where he worked till 1871, then to Zanesville, and was married to Miss Habner in Somerset, where he remained working at his trade till 1877, when he moved to Clinton, Mo., coming to Osage Mission in 1879, and taking the position he now occupies. He has had seven children, of whom five are deceased and two sons alive. Mr Bagley is a member of the Catholic Church.
I. S. BAHNEY, hardware and tin store. The business was first established in 1868, in a building 12x16, and a stock of $500, under the firm name of J. M. Boyle and C. M. Drake. In 1871 Bahney bought C. F. Drake's interest, and in 1873 Mr. Drake bought back, taking Mr. Boyle's interest, which continued until 1880, when Mr. Bahney took charge of the whole enterprise, the firm now being I. S. Bahney. During these fourteen years the business has increased until he now occupies a building 25x100 feet and carries a stock of some $1,400 and does a business of about $3,500. During the war Mr. Bahney was a soldier in an Ohio regiment and is now a member of the Blue lodge of the Masonic order.
JOEL BARHNART, steam saw and grist mill, was born in North Carolina and raised in Indiana. They moved to Indiana, and then to Illinois, and finally to Missouri, came from there to Osage Mission in 1866, locating in Mission Township on a farm. In 1867 the two brothers Joel and David, put up a steam saw mill on the Neosho River, below Erie, at a place named by them Slabtown. In 1869 they put up a grist mill. In 1874 they moved the mill to Thayer and soon afterwards sold it, but have lately got it back and are running it. When the mill was moved the family moved to Osage Mission on account of educational advantages, which his daughter Lizzie has profited by. She commenced teaching in 1876, first in No. 8, then in Star school, also in the Done district No. 34, and Dodd district. In 1880 she went to the State Normal of Emporia, and returning to the Mission she was appointed to the Primary department of the city school, where she is now engaged. Losing her mother in 1873 the family were placed in the hands of herself and sister Emma, who is also teacher, engaged in teaching at the present time. Mr. Barnhart is a member of the I. O. of O. F. The milling firm is known as Barnhart Bros.
C. E. BAYLIES, M. D., and surgeon. On the 15th of March 1875, he graduated from the Chicago Medical College and came at once to Kansas, locating in Osage Mission, forming a partnership with Dr. Nealy, one of the early physicians of this place; he practiced alone, however, most of the time until 1880, when he entered into partnership with Dr. C. E. Steadman, the firm being Steadman & Baylies, physicians and surgeons. They are doing an extensive practice, extending over a fifteen miles circuit.
S. C. BECK, jeweler, native of Leavenworth, Kas. (sic) Mr. Beck's father, Stephen Beck, who came to Kansas in 1856, was a native of Baden, his mother a native of Prussia. They were married in 1850, and 1856 located in Leavenworth, Kas. While here he was at times obliged to hide from the different Free-state or Pro-slavery parties or go with them. When the war broke out he enlisted in the Ninth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, Captain Coleman's company. In 1865 he returned home and located on a farm on Four Mile Creek, till 1871, moving to Osage Mission. He went into the grocery and bakery business with Jacob Wolf. At this they made money. Mr. Beck withdrew, however, and retired to his stock farm, where he died September 25, 1873. After his death the family moved back to the city. Here they were burned out but built again, and Mr. S. C. Beck, who is now in the firm of Steadman & Beck, jewelers, was robbed, losing nearly all their stock, but since have recovered and are now doing a good business.
JACOB BEECHWOOD, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Osage Mission. Native of France, born in 1818, and came to America in 1838, landing in New York, where he married Miss E. Grosbeck, by which marriage he had four children, two now deceased; but he lost her and married a second time to his present wife, Miss C. Gilman, having four children by the last. In 1865 Mr. Beechwood came to Kansas, being the first settler on this section, arriving and locating among the Indians, who helped him erect his cabin. His family suffered from sickness the first three years almost continuously, but he persevered, paying fabulous prices for his provisions, but succeeding in raising fair crops he managed to live, now having a fine homestead with all the natural advantages that a man could wish, wood, water, a good stone quarry, and fertile soil, well fenced and cultivated, with a fine residence. He came to this country to enjoy the advantages of the Mission Church, of which he is an earnest member. Mr. Beechwood has sixteen acres in tame grasses, thirty-five acres in pasture, and the rest under the plow.
J. M. BOYLE, hardware. He came to Kansas in 1864, dropping over the line just as Price was closing in with the Union army at Kansas City, so his course was attended with considerable danger. At Fort Lincoln, in Bourbon County, he just escaped capture, and was a witness of the burning of that post; he finally arrived at Fort Scoot, which was his destination, where he went to work for C. F. Drake as a tinner, where he was employed til 1867, when he came to Osage Mission, and opened a hardware store in a building 18x20, and a small stock. This was the first hardware house in Neosho County, firm name was J. N. Boyle; Mr. Drake was the company. In 1871, Br. Barney bought an interest in the firm, and in 1873, Mr. Drake bought his interest out, when he went into business with Mr. Tucker, and in 1880, he established his present business, now assuming large proportions. In addition to his hardware business, he has farm machinery. Mr. Boyle joined the I. O. O. F. in 1870.
R. A. BROGAN, M. D., drugs, native of New York, born in 1842. His early life was spent on the farm, and later on he engaged in teaching school. In 1869, he graduated from the St. Louis Medical College, and at once came to Osage Mission and opened practice, having the practice of St. Ann's Academy, and that of the college of St. Francis. In 1880, he opened his drug store, carries a stock of $1,200, and does a business of $4,000 a year. The Doctor is a member of the Catholic Church.
JOHN R. BRUNT, drugs and groceries, a native of Madison County, Ind., born in 1845. Having got a common school education, his father intended to give him a college course, but coming to Kansas in 1865, he did not return to finish his education, but with gun and pony, commenced scouting and hunting; this was in Neosho County and vicinity. For a while he worked on the stock farm of Mr. Stewart, near Humboldt, Allen County; he then went into the school room and taught until 1872, when he was appointed Deputy Sheriff; at this and in the Clerk's office he busied himself until 1875, when he was elected Sheriff of Neosho County, and re-elected in 1877. In 1881, he went into business with P. W. Hinsen; the firm is now Hinsen & Brunt; they carry $4,000 in stock, and do a business of $8,000. He and his partner married sisters, the Misses Van Lanningham. Mr. Brunthas been a member of the Masonic order since 1877, and now one of the City Council, also being on the School Board.
E. M. CLEMENTS, grocer, native of Kentucky, born in 1827. When quite young, his parents moved to Illinois, where he was raised and educated, farming there and dealing in stock, and he was also in the mercantile line. In 1873, he moved to Kansas, bringing with him some fine stock, and locating on a farm in Mission Township; he did not remain here long, but moved to Bourbon County, where he farmed till 1878, then returning to Neosho, he bought a farm in Grant Township, farming in grain and stock till 1881, when he bought a stock of groceries of L. Rosecrans, for some $1,800, and is now doing a good business of $6,000 to $8,000; the firm name was Clements & Co. until last July, when it became E. M. Clements. While in Illinois, he married Miss Jennings. His mother lives here, aged eighty-three, and is an active, intelligent lady.
CHARLES C. COFFINBERRY, agricultural implements and farm machinery, is a native of Richland County, Ohio, born June 30, 1827, and while still quite young, his parents moved to Michigan, where they were early settlers. In 1847, he went to Dane County, Wis., and in 1857, moved to Kansas, crossing to Atchison; though he was offered a good chance there, he went on to Nemaha County, where he settled on a farm. In 1859, he was elected to the Territorial Legislature, and during the dry year and famine of 1860, he acted as by proxy, one of the twelve Commissioners to distribute aid, sending some sixty-eight loads to his own county. In 1861, he was elected to the State Legislature; while in Nemaha, was continually in the political field. In 1866, he moved to Neosho County, and went to farming and trading, and in February, 1882 bought his present business of J. R. Detwiler, and has done a business of some $12,000 this year. During the War of the Rebellion, he was in the State Militia, and was called out on the Little Blue, and was also on the first raid of Price. Mr. Coffinberry was a Whig, formerly, and is now a Republican in politics.
F. P. COOMES, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Osage Mission, is a native of Kentucky. Born July 27, 1809. Moved to Illinois in 1853 with his family. His father lived to the age of eighty-six years, and his grandfather to the advanced age of ninety-six; so we find Mr. Coomes, at the age of seventy-four, hale and strong. In 1867, in company with his son and Mr Mattingby, he came to Kansas, locating in Neosho County. He bought his claim of a man named Whitman. The neighborhood being then a wilderness of prairie, not a furrow turned; but he proceeded to make a home, enduring privations. Year by year he succeeded with but two partial failures of crops. He has now a well-improved farm, raising in 1882, fifty-five bushels to the acre, besides crops of castor beans and oats. In 1834, Mr. Coomes married Miss Hogan. They now have six boys and two girls. His son Robert died while in the army. He was a member of the Ninetieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Mr. Coomes, 1869, was elected Township Trustee and County Commissioner in 1874.
CHARLES COONEY, carriage factory and workshops, established his business in 1871, starting with a small capital. He has built his shops and is preparing to build larger and more commodious work shops for the manufacture of carriages. He has now on hand a large stock of finished work and is constantly increasing his stock of fine work.
E. CRAVENS, grocer, native of White County, Ill. Born in 1840. He was raised on his father's farm, which comprised some 500 or 600 acres, and engaged in grain and stock farming. In 1866, he came to Kansas and while looking for a claim, he and his brother-in-law, William Rhods, made the shingles for the first business house built in Osage Mission, then opened by L. P. Foster & Co. He located his claim and returned East for his family, bringing them out in October of the same year. His place in those pioneer days was the stopping place for travelers in this wild Osage Indian reserve. Among others, he had Bishop Vail, of the Episcopal Church resting at the old place. In 1875, he sold the farm, moving to Osage Mission, then traveled for Garr, Scott & Co., of Richmond, Ind., with farm machinery, etc. In 1870, we find him located on another farm in Walnut Grove, Neosho County, which he farmed until 1881, when he sold out and came to town, buying the stock of groceries then owned by the firm of Custis & Custis. He now carries $1,800 in stock and does about $6,000 in business. Mr. Cravens married Miss Price, in Posey County, Ind. They have three boys and one girl. He is a charter member of the Erie Masonic Lodge, No. 76, organized in 1879 - the first Masonic Lodge organized in Neosho County. Has been Justice of the Peace a number of terms, also Township Trustee two terms. In politics is a Republican.
E. H. CRAWFORD, harness and saddles. The business was established in 1868, being the oldest business house without change of name south of Fort Scott and west of Emporia. Since December 27, 1880, Mr. Crawford has been traveling for Askew Bros., in saddlery hardware, Kansas City, while Mrs. Crawford has managed the business, doing an almost entirely cash business of from $4,000 to $6,000 a year. They are both natives of Illinois, where they were married in 1866. Her maiden name was Sutherland. Mr. Crawford learned the trade of his father before leaving home. In 1866, they moved to Missouri and located on a farm. Here he was taken sick, and his wife attended him, suffering herself the while from sickness and hardships. The succeeded in collecting a little, and with their ox team and wagon moved to Fort Scott, Kan. While there he worked at his trade in a shop owned by Mr. Ware. They came to Osage Mission in 1868, and have built up a good business, having bought town property. They were living in their own house when it was destroyed by fire March 20,1874. In this disaster they lost all the household furniture, and their only child, a little girl of two years of age, was only saved through the courage of Mrs. Crawford, who rescued her from the burning house. Mr. C. is a member of the Masonic Lodge, also belongs to the A. O. U. W.
JOHN DALE, proprietor of the Southern Hotel, native of Lawrence County, Ind., born in 1831, and when nine years of age moved with parents to Missouri. While there he gave his attention to farming and mercantile life, in 1874, being elected to the State Legislature. In 1879 he came to Kansas, locating at Osage Mission, opening the hotel while his son manages the livery stable which is attached to the hotel. While in Missouri he married Miss Pyle. They have nine daughters and two sons. Mr. Dale is one of the charter members of the A. O. U. W.; of the firm of Dale & Herod, real estate brokers.
B. DALEY, physician and surgeon, was born in County of Picton, Nova Scotia, in the year 1828. He commenced studying medicine under Dr. W. Bickett, and enlisted in Johnson's Light Horse Artillery on February 14, 1862. In fall of same year was elected and commissioned Second Lieutenant. Shortly after his company joined the First Missouri Cavalry, Missouri State Militia Volunteers, and became Company L. of same regiment, and he was Acting Quartermaster for latter, contracting rheumatism while scouting for nearly two years. He resigned about the close of the year 1863. In March, 1864, crossed the plains in company with Dr. Bickett, through Black Hills, and joined the Bridger train at the Red Buttes, North Platte, Wyoming Territory, when they had a force of 375 men and seven women, with eighty-seven wagons, drawn some by horses, some by mules, and some by oxen, went all together under one organization to protect themselves from Indians, over the Big Horn Mountains for 600 miles. They made the road before them, without any marks of civilization; nothing but the wild Indians and the buffalo, elk, deer, bear, etc., which they never lost sight of from sunrise to sunset. They were well supplied with meat, killing all the whole train could use. By times they had to keep an advance guard in front of the train to scatter the buffalo so as to keep them from running through and destroying the train. Had three engagements with the Indians while going over the Big Horn - one with the Snakes and two with the Sioux and Cheyennes. At length, after 104 days from St. Joe, Mo., they reached Virginia City. Only one man died on the whole trip, at Stinking Water, Big Horn Mountain. This road being condemned by the government soon after, on account of so many trains being massacred by the Indians, who came after them. The party was so long crossing through Black Hills and Big Horn Mountains, far from any civilization, some of the men became almost in despair of ever getting out of the mountains and valleys, and talked strongly of hanging Maj. James Bridger, who was the guide, thinking he had deceived them, and that they would never get out, but would be all killed by the Indians or starve, while others opposed it. Maj. Bridger still encouraged them; told them they would soon reach the Yellowstone River, which they did, after about six or seven weeks, and on the 4th day of July, 1864, crossed the Yellowstone in a boat erected by themselves. A week after they arrived in Virginia City. In 1868 Mr. Daley sailed on the steamboat Deer Lodge from Fort Benton to St. Joe, Mo., being twenty-six days from Benton to Sioux City Iowa. In spring of 1869 he went to Texas, practicing medicine in Hill "County. He had a very large practice, until by several attacks of rheumatism he had to leave there in 1873; coming to St. Joe, Mo., leaving his wife at her father's, Erath County, Tex. Afterwards he went to Illinois. In 1864 and 1865 he attended a course of lectures at St. Louis Medical College. He passed an examination and received a certificate to practice, when he returned to Illinois and practiced medicine at Mossville, Peoria County, where he remained until 1880, gaining a good practice. During this time he went to Keokuk and attended another course of lectures in the winter of 1877-78, and graduated in spring of 1878, continuing practicing in Mossville, Ill., until 1880, when he moved to Kansas and settled in Osage Mission on account of the great advantages offered there in the way of good schools and churches, conducted by the Catholic Church, of which he is a member. He has been married twice - first in Kentucky, in 1852, to Miss Priscilla Bickett, by whom he had two daughters - one born in Canada West, and the other in St. Joe, Mo. Six years after his wife died, at the time the youngest daughter was born. He was in the army at the time, April 27, 1862. He remained nine years a widower. When practicing medicine in Texas he married Miss Eila Whitacre, in 1871, by whom he had two sons. Has succeeded in gaining a living practice in Osage Mission, where he expects to remain the rest of his days.
P. H. DENT, farmer, Section 16, Pl. O. Osage Mission, native of Kentucky, born in 1825. At the age of seven he lost his parents. As soon as he was old enough he learned the carpenter's trade at Mount Washington. Soon afterward moving to Illinois, where he worked at his trade and farming. In 1857 he located in North Missouri, where he, in 1861, had to protect himself and property from the bushwhackers, and joined the State Militia. Coming to Kansas in 1877, buying his claim or farm of Mike Hanlin; since improving and building. Also building a dwelling for C. Redinger, one for Mr. Beechwood, also for C. Cooney, of Osage Mission, and a large dwelling for J. Knott, of Crawford County, and others. In 1861 Mr. Dent married Miss Beecher. They have six children - four boys and two girls.
M. DEVINE, grocer, a native of Renfrew County, Canada, born 1843. He came to Kansas in 1871, locating in Crawford County, going on the stock ranch of C. C. Copeland. In 1879 he established his business here, in which he is doing well, carrying a stock of about $8,000, and doing a business of $25,000. Mr. Devine has served the public in a number of offices, having been on the City Council three terms, Township Trustee, Assessor, etc. In politics he is a Democrat, and belongs to the Catholic Church.
V. A. DOBBINS, dress making, born in 1835. Her husband is a native of Ireland and came to Randolph County when two years of age. In 1857 they were married, and October 13, 1866 came to Kansas from Illinois in a wagons(sic) on arriving here they camped out under tents till they located their claim. The cold weather coming on they suffered very much and were compelled to take refuge in a friendly cabin near. They remained on their claim till 1868 when they came to Osage Mission and opened what was known as the Little Hotel; they did very well at this business, and in 1872 returned to the farm, where they farmed till 1874, when Mrs. Dobbins opened her dress-making establishment, and is doing a large business. Mr. Dobbins is engaged in the watch and clock business. Their early experience is full of privations and hardships when they had hardly enough to sustain life, and the rates on provisions were fabulous.
J. L. DENISON, attorney, a native of Westmoreland County, Pa., born July 11, 1837. Was educated at Franklin Academy, Chambersburg, Pa. In April, 1860, he removed to Kansas, locating at Iola, where he prepared to engage in the practice of his profession, but was prevented by the breaking out of the war. On the 16th of October, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Ninth Kansas Cavalry Volunteers, and was promoted through all the grades to Sergeant Major. In 1864 he re-enlisted as a veteran volunteer, and on the re-organization of the regiment was commissioned First Lieutenant Company B, and assigned to duty as Acting Adjutant of the regiment, in which position he continued until his discharge in August, 1865. He returned to Kansas in September, 1865, and during the winter of that year located on the Osage Indian Reservation, and in July, 1866 in connection with A. H. Roe opened a trading post called Erie. In 1867 he was elected County Clerk of the then newly-organized county of Neosho, and upon the organization of the District Court in said county was appointed Clerk of that court, which position he held until January, 1875, when he entered into partnership with Hon. C. F. Hutchings, forming the law firm of Hutchings & Denison. Mr. Denison was Master of the first Masonic Lodge organized south of Humboldt, is a member of J. D. Rush Chapter No. 21, Royal ArchMasons, at Osage Mission, Kansas, and has served three terms as high priest of said chapter, is a charter member of Coeur de Leon Comandery No. 17, Knights Templar, located at Parsons, Kansas. November 29, 1868, he married Miss Mattie Hoagland, of Iola, Kansas. They have three children.
JOHN DULLING, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Osage Mission, a native of Queens County, Ireland, was born in 1856, and in 1875 immigrated to America, landing in New York, where he worked awhile, then going on a farm in New Jersey. In 1859 he married and came west to Kansas in 1865, locating in a wilderness among the Indians, who were to be seen in his neighborhood two years after his settlement on what is now a well improved farm. His only white neighbors in 1865 were Mr. Beechwood and Lawrence Slater, the latter had come west with him but afterward sold his claim and moved away. Mr. Dulling having arrived before the Osage Ceded Land troubles got his farm without any trouble, though he aided and sympathized with his neighbor settlers. He reports the crops of 1882 the best he has had. Mr. Dulling has served the public as Supervisor and is a member of the Democratic party. His family consists of five children - one son and four daughters.