KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (CHANDLER - GREEN).HON. GEORGE CHANDLER, District Judge, is a native of Hermitage, Wyoming Co., N. Y., born September 20, 1842. In 1845 his parents with their family moved to Pike, same county, where they lived until he was a lad of eight years. They then emigrated to Monroe, Green Co., Wis. Was a student three years at Beloit College, Wis., and graduated from the Law Department of University Michigan, at Ann Arbor, in April, 1866. He first read law with Hon. H. S. Conger at Janesville, Wis. After being admitted to the bar, he began the practice of law at Janesville, Wis. Also practiced his profession at Clinton Junction, Wis., several years. Came to Independence, Kan., January 23, 1872, and opened a law office in connection with Hon. George R. Peck. Was City Attorney of Independence, Kan., in 1872 and 1873. In 1874 he became associated with his brother Joseph, in the practice of his profession, and so remained until he was elected Judge of the Eleventh Judicial District, in 1882.
JOSEPH CHANDLER, attorney, was born in Wethersfield, Wyoming Co., N.Y., May 4, 1848. Lived at Monroe, Wis., from 1850 to 1854, then at West Union, Iowa, until 1856, then returned to Wisconsin, locating near Beloit. He graduated at Beloit College, and engaged in teaching at Clinton, Wis., and had charge of the Academy at Yankton, Dakota, prior to his removal to Independence, Kan., in March, 1874. Was admitted to the bar a year after he located here. From April, 1876, to April, 1883, he was City Attorney. He was married at Independence, Kan., June 20, 1876, to Libbie M. Chapin, a native of Jefferson, Wis. They have three children - George C., Edward H. and Alice.
HON. A. B. CLARK, attorney, was born at Huntsburg, Geauga Co., Ohio, October 15, 1844, educated at the Willoughby and West Farmington academies, in Ohio, and at the Ohio State and Union Law College at Cleveland. Admitted to the bar in 1866: engaged in practice of law, at Mattoon, Ill., from 1867 until he removed to Coffeyville, Kan., in August, 1871. He organized the City of Coffeyville, and was the first Mayor of that city. In the fall of 1872 he was elected County Attorney, and removed to Independence, served two terms as Country Attorney; was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives in 1878; elected State Senator in 1880. He is a member of the of the A., F. & A. M. Mr. Clark was married at West Farmington, Ohio, in 1872, to Lucie A. Robb, a native of that place. They have two children - Arthur Le Roy, and Halbert.
W. E. CLARK, hardware merchant was born in Rahway, N. J. He was a resident of St. Louis, Mo., about twenty years prior to coming to Independence, Kan. He located in the latter city in June, 1881, and engaged in hardware business, being associated with F. E. Thompson until March, 1883. Since then he has been alone in the trade. He has quite a jobbing trade and deals in shelf and heavy hardware, stoves and iron.
ISAAC CLEMMER, farmer, P. O. Independence, was born in Adams County, Ohio, February 22, 1836. In 1845 he removed with his parents to Johnson County, Ind., where he was raised on a farm. He came to Independence, Kan., October 2, 1869, and located three miles west of the city, Independence Township, where he still resides, engaged in farming. He has a splendid farm, a fine orchard, consisting of about 200 bearing apple trees, together with peaches, plums, pears, quinces, cherries, pears, etc., and two acres of vineyard. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married April 1, 1858, in Johnson County, Ind., to Miss Susan Davenport. Mrs. Clemmer died November 4, 1864, without issue; and he again married December 15, 1865, in the same county, Miss Maggie Davenport, a niece of his former wife. They have two children - Jessie, born February 23, 1874; Edwin, born January 16, 1877.
DANIEL CLINE, farmer, P. O. Independence, was born in Carroll County, Ind. February 22, 1835. He was raised a farmer. July 17, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, of the Seventy-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry. This was one of the regiments composing the celebrated Wilder's Brigade of Mounted Infantry. He took part in the battles and marches of this celebrated corps, serving three years, and was mustered out by reason of the expiration of term of service and the close of the war. He returned to his home in Indiana, where he lived until 1868; he came to Kansas and located in Douglas County. In the following year he moved to Montgomery County, and located seven miles southwest of Independence. He was, in 1873, elected Township Treasurer; in 1874, Township Trustee; re-elected in 1875-76, and in 1877 Treasurer again, and, again in 1878, Trustee. In 1881, he was elected a Justice of the Peace, and is now in office. He belongs to the G. A. R. He was married in November, 1857, in Carroll County, Ind., to Miss Sarah Jane Boyer. They have eight children - Rosana, Mrs. W. F. McConnell, Elizabeth J., Mahala Margaret, Mary Caroline, Rebecca A., Ida B., Charles T. and Olive May.
MORRIS COHEN, wholesale and retail merchant, is a native of Titusville, Pa., residing there till 1876; then employed as a traveling salesman two years. He was with the well-known firm of Bullene, Moores & Emery, of Kansas City, for three years prior to locating at Independence, March 10, 1882. He came to this city with only a small stock of laces. He now has one of the finest selected stocks of laces, fancy goods and dry goods in Kansas, and is doing an extensive wholesale trade in the various lines which he carries, not including dry goods. Mr Cohen is one of the enterprising young men that has rapidly come to the front, in consequence of his indomitable energy and trustworthy dealings. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M.
T. W. CONWAY, Superintendent of the City Schools, was born in Livingston County, N. Y., May 11, 1855. At the age of four years his parents removed to Van Buren County, Mich. He was raised on a farm. When thirteen years of age he entered the Decatur School and after nine years of study, went through the grades, graduating from the high school. He then entered the State Agricultural College at Lansing where he was a student for more than a year; then he entered the State Normal School at Ypsilanti, where he was a student for two years. His health failing, he came to Kansas in the spring of 1879; entered the Kansas Normal and graduated the same year. In the fall he took charge of the Peru school, being the principal for two years, and in 1881 he was elected by the Board of Education, Superintendent of the Independence Public Schools. He was re-elected in 1882 and '83 and is now in charge. He was married May 30, 1882, at Peru, Kan., to Miss Florence H. Norris.
JOSEPH B. CRAIG, City Assessor, was born in Columbia County, Pa., January 29, 1814. When five years of age he was removed by his parents to Clark County, Ohio. He was educated in the common school, and when of age studied law. He was admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of Ohio in 1843, and practiced in Auglaize County, Ohio, for fifteen years. He was the first Assessor of Internal Revenue in Auglaize County. In 1864 he moved to Muncie, Ind., and began business as a merchant, handling a stock of drugs, etc. Here he remained in the trade for six years, then, in 1870, came to Kansas, setting in Independence. He was the first Mayor of Independence, in 1870, and was appointed by Gov. Harvey, Justice of the Peace, in the same year. He served until election, and declined further service. He has been Deputy Clerk of the District Court, and Deputy County Treasurer, having charge of the office one year in each case. In 1883, the Mayor and Council appointed him City Assessor. He joined the I. O. O. F. in 1843, and was made a Mason in 1844. He was married, October 20, 1835, in Clarke County, Ohio, to Miss Sarah A. Matthews, and has seven children - Samuel, Sarah J., Harriet Ellen, Ann Eliza, Caroline Virginia, Emily, and Martha. Mrs. C. was deceased February 19, 1851, and he was again married, May 6, 1851, in Auglaize County, Ohio, to Miss Aminta J. McClure.
WILLIAM DAWSON, marble and lumber dealer, was born in Lawrenceburg, Dearborn Co., Ind., September 15 1821. He went to Burlington, Iowa, at the age of fourteen years; removed from there to Mount Pleasart, Henry Co., Iowa, and resided until December, 1870, at which time he settled at Independence, Kan. Engaged in the lumber trade in March, 1871, which he has since followed. In July, 1882, he became manager of the lumber business of S.A. Brown & Co. He engaged in the marble business in 1875, and has since continued the same. He was married near Burlington, Iowa, June 5, 1842, to Miss Elizabeth Martin, a native of Morgan, Monongahela County, Va. They have nine children - Noble E., Anna, George W., William H., Mahala, Julia F., Carrie I., Jesse Huron, and Lizzie I. Mr. Dawson has served as City Alderman, etc. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and I. O. O. F.
HON. B. F. DEVORE, farmer, P. O. Independence, was born in Washington County, Pa., February 11, 1828. In 1836 he removed with his parents to Marion County, Ohio. He was educated at the Ohio Wesleyan University, and studied law with Williams & Hume, Marion, Ohio, and in the Cincinnati Law College, graduating in the class of 1858. He practiced his profession in Wapakoneta, Auglaize Co., Ohio, for seven years, when his health failed. He traveled through the Western States, and finally settled at Hartford City, Ind., where he engaged in the drug trade for four years. In March, 1870, he came to Kansas, and located at Independence, and bought a stock of hardware. He continued the trade until 1879, when he sold out and moved on his farm, four miles south of Independence, where he is engaged in stock raising and farming. In 1871 he was elected a Representative to the Kansas Legislature from Montgomery County; served in the session of 1872, and was on the Ways and Means Committee, and others. He is a member of the Equitable Aid Union, and of the I.O.O.F. He was married June 13, 1861, at Wapakoneta, Ohio, to Miss Sarah J., daughter of Judge J. B. Craig. They have three children - Joseph Arthur, Bessie A., and Frank M.
H. H. DODD, marble dealer, is a native of Wooster, Wayne Co., Ohio, born December 22, 1840; lived in his native place until he was twenty-one years of age. In October, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Sixteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He served two years, and received his discharge from military life on account of disability contracted in the service. After the lapse of about seven months, he re-enlisted in Company D, Ninth Ohio Cavalry. He participated in twenty-six engagements, never being wounded or captured. He was mustered out July 25, 1865. He located at Erie, Neosho Co., Kan., in April, 1867, and lived there until spring of 1869; he then removed to Liberty Township, Montgomery Co., Kan., where he entered and improved 160 acres of the public domain, and farmed the same until 1877, when he was elected to the office of Clerk of the District Court of his county. He was twice re-elected, and after serving the third term in that office, he retired January 8, 1883. He was married at Independence, Kan., April 29, 1877, to Miss Addie Webster, of Berrien County, Mich. Mr. Dodd is a member of the G. A. R.
GEORGE W. DONALDSON, jeweler, is a native of Topsfield, Essex Co., Mass., born July 5, 1842; lived in his native town about eighteen years, then located in the city of Boston, where he learned the watchmaker's trade. After three years spent there, he engaged in business for himself in Vermont, remaining there one year, returning to Boston, where he remained until 1870, when he removed to Haverhill, Mass., that being his headquarters until April, 1872, when he came to Independence, Kan., employed as a traveling salesman for a New York wholesale establishment, for a year prior to his removal to Kansas. Since coming to this city he has been engaged in his present business, being the leading jeweler and watchmaker of Montgomery County. He does some jobbing, but does essentially a retail business. He has served for the last ten years as School Treasurer of this city, now entering upon the duties of a two year term in the same position. He is connected with the Jeweler's Guild, of New York City, and is also a member of the I. O. O. F. For seven years he was a member of the Fire Department, and was for several years President of the Independence Fire Company, Bell No. 1. Mr. Donaldson was married at Marble Hill, Bollinger Co., Mo., May 19, 1874, to Nettie Campbell, a native of Dayton, Ohio. Mrs. Donaldson is doing a wholesale and retail millinery business, having an extensive trade.
JOHN W. DON LAVY, merchant tailor was born near Summitville, Columbiana Co., Ohio, November 5, 1849. Lived in Ohio until September, 1871, when he removed to Independence, Kan. He was employed in mercantile pursuits at Carrollton and at Bryant, Ohio, about six years and a half prior to coming West. He was with his brother in a drug store for two years. Since the autumn of 1874, he has been carrying on an extensive merchant tailoring business, having large patronage at various places in the state. He has been City Treasurer three years, and is now entering upon the duties of the office for two years more. He is Chairman of the Montgomery Country Republican Central Committee. He was married at Independence, Kan., in May, 1873, to Pauline S. Bowman, a native of Adel, Dallas Co., Iowa. They have one child, Jessie.
GEORGE H. DRESSER, photographer, is a native of Westphalia, Osage Co., Mo., born October 28, 1852; came to Shawneetown, Johnson Co., Kan., in 1865, lived there till 1869, then in Allen County two years, afterwards in Douglas County, until locating at Independence in April, 1878. He has followed the photographic business for the last nine years, at Lawrence prior to coming to this city. He employs three assistants in his gallery, and does all kinds of photographic work, including India ink and crayon productions. He is a member of the K. of P. Mr. Dresser was married in this city December 30, 1879, to Hattie P. Bates a native of Lucas County, Iowa. They have one child - Ethel Anna.
WILLIAM DUNKIN, attorney, is a native of Virginia, born April 7, 1846; educated at Morgantown Academy (now university of West Virginia). He located at Lawrence, Kan., in February, 1872, where he read law nearly one year with Thacher & Banks, and was here admitted to the bar in March, 1873. He settled at Independence, Kan., April ?, 1873, where he enjoys a large and lucrative practice; was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court in January, 1874. He has been Mayor of Independence and prominently identified with the material interests of the city ever since he located here. Mr. Dunkin was married, at Kalamazoo, Mich., October 18, 1876, to Miss Lillie B. Hud, who was born in Connecticut but reared in Kalamazoo, Mich. They have two children - Floy and Cora.
S. C. ELLIOTT, attorney and Deputy County Clerk, was born in Paris, Edgar Co., Ill., March 10, 1857, living there ten years; then at Oswego, Labette County, till 1878, having been admitted to practice at Oswego in June, 1878. He began practice at Independence, continuing here since that time. He has served as Deputy Clerk of the District Court, Deputy County Attorney, and he is now Deputy County Clerk. Mr. Elliott read law with the firm of Webb & Glasse at Oswego, Kan.
HARRISON J. FAIRLEIGH, proprietor livery, sale and feed stables, was born near Newcomerstown, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, March 17, 1839; lived there twelve years; then lived in Owen County, Ind.; enlisted in July, 1862, in Company F, Seventy-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry; served a year, when the regiment was organized as the Sixth Indiana Cavalry, and continued in that regiment until mustered out in August, 1865. After the war he moved to Shelby County, Ill., and lived there two years, then returned to Indiana, stayed there one year, then came to Independence, Kan., July, 1870. He then embarked in the livery business three years; was City Marshal two years; then, for thirteen months, was engineer of the Caledonia Mills. He was engaged in other engineering work about two years. He then employed himself on his farm until March, 1883, when he engaged in the livery business; was married in Lancaster, Owen Co., Ind., January 26, 1860, to Mary J. Hagaman, a native of Ohio. They have one son - Jackson H. They lost one son - John L., who died at the age of eighteen months. Mr. F. is the oldest liveryman in Independence. He started the second stable here.
JOSIAH W. FAIRLEIGH, Under-Sheriff, is a native of Spencer, Owen Co., Ind., born June 30, 1856; lived there till July 15, 1870, when he located at Independence, Kan., accompanying his father to this place, and remaining with him some time thereafter, afterwards traveling and prospecting in the Rocky Mountain regions, returning to Independence, and from 1878 to 1880, engaged in the boot and shoe trade; served one year as Constable, and followed farming one year. Since March 8, 1883, he has held the position of Under-Sheriff. He was married, July 26, 1882, to Selina A. Wilson, a native of Shelby, Richland Co., Ohio.
EDWIN FOSTER, dealer in real estate, was born in Adams, Jefferson Co., N. Y., September 2, 1846; reared in Fulton, Rock Co., Wis., from 1847 to 1859; then in Chickasaw and Fayette counties, Iowa, till August, 1862; then enlisted in Company H, Thirty-fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, serving in that regiment until August, 1865, when he was mustered out of the service. He came to Montgomery County, Kan., about the 1st of April, 1869; at Verdigris City the first year. He served six years as County Surveyor, entering upon the duties of that office in November, 1869, being the first Surveyor of the county. He is a member or the K. of H. He was married in this city in November, 1879, to Ella L. Wright, a native of Indiana. They have two children - Hugh and Edwin, Jr.
E. L. FOSTER, Register of Deeds, was born in West Creek Township, near Lowell, Lake Co., Ind., September 7, 1847. He was educated at Crown Point and at Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Ind. Prior to coming to Kansas he was an instructor in the Lowell Academy, near where he was born. He enlisted December 31, 1864, in Company K, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out of the service, February 9, 1866. He is a member of the G. A. R., A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge Chapter and Commandery, K. of P. and Knights of the Golden Rule, being past grand junior steward of the Grand Lodge of Kansas, A., F. & A. M. He located at Burlington, Coffey Co., Kas., August 22, 1868, taught school and engaged in other pursuits until the spring of 1869, afterwards dealing in live stock until July of the same year, at that time returning to Indiana where he remained most of the time for a year; locating at Parker, Montgomery Co., Kas., in July, 1870, engaged in farming and stock raising until December 6, 1881. Having been elected Register of Deeds in November of that year, he removed to Independence. He taught the first public school in Montgomery County in the old town of Parker. He was a member of the School Board there for several years, and also served as Justice of the Peace. He was married at Rosita, Custer Co., Col., April 10, 1876, to Elizabeth J. Rosson, a native of Charleston, Tenn. They have two children living - Eliza K. and Thomas Scurr. Lost a daughter Melissa, who died March 21, 1883, aged twenty months.
GOODELL FOSTER real estate agent, is a native of Adams, Jefferson Co., N. Y., born April 25, 1843. From the age of four years until 1865, he lived in Fulton, Rock Co., Wis., afterwards in Bates and Butler counties, Mo. Came to Montgomery County, Kas., about the first of April, 1869. He assisted to survey the town site of the Verdigris City, living there till May, 1870, when he came to Independence, engaged in the practice of law for awhile, but since 1873 he has been an active operator in real estate, his brother, Edwin Foster, being associated with him as a partner. He was married at Milton, Wis., in March, 1866, to Madee Hamilton, a native of New York. They have four children - Emery, Allie, Kate and Fannie.
HENRY FOSTER, president of the Citizens' Bank, is a native of Westerly, R. I., born April 12, 1848. Engaged in banking business when he was twenty years old. He was assistant cashier of the National Phoenix Bank, of Westerly, for fourteen years, and was also treasurer of the Mechanic's Savings Bank, of the same place, from 1870 to the summer of 1882. August 1, 1882, he became associated with Charles Hull, of Independence, Kas., they being proprietors of the Hull Banking Company, until March 15, 1883, when he became president of the bank with which he is now connected, the Citizens' Bank succeeding to the business of the Hull Banking Company. Mr. Foster was married at Boston, Mass., May 10, 1871, to Gertrude E. Daniels, a native of Paxton, Mass. They have two children - Annie Gertrude and Henry Vernon. Mr. F.'s father, Ethan Foster, was for thirty years at the head of the Phoenix Bank, of Westerly, R. I., afterwards of the National Phoenix Bank, and still continues in the same business. Both he and his son Henry are Quakers.
WILLIAM M. GARRETT, farmer, P. O. Independence, was born in Wayne County, Ky., January 5, 1838. He was raised a farmer. Enlisted September 1, 1861, in Company C, Twelfth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, re-enlisted in January, 1864, and was mustered out in August, 1865. He took part in the battles of Columbia, Nashville, Tenn., Franklin, in the Atlanta campaign, and in many battles and skirmishes. He was a private, Corporal and Sergeant. April 1, 1870, he reached Kansas and bought a farm in Independence Township. He engaged in farming and stock raising. He was married July 2, 1878, in Montgomery County, Kas., to Mary E. White. He has no children, but Mrs. Garrett is the mother of two by a former marriage - Quito Andes and Emma May.
JOHN GILMORE, farmer, P. O. Independence, was born in County Londonderry, Ireland, November 12, 1835, Scotch-Irish descent. He was reared on a farm, receiving a commercial education. In 1870 he came to America, located in La Salle County, Ill., where he lived two years, then to Benton County, Ind. In February, 1882, he came to Montgomery County, Kan., and purchased a farm one mile west of Independence. He is engaged in farming. He was married, in December, 1872, in La Salle County, Ill., to Miss Clara Hagenbach. They have seven children - Sarah Anna, Samuel, Maggie, Mary, John, Martha and Clara.
HON. H. D. GRANT, Police Judge, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., March 26, 1835; reared in Herkimer County, N. Y., removing from the latter county (when he was eighteen years of age) to Illinois, where he worked on a farm for a short time; then settled in Michigan and resumed his studies, attending Michigan Central College, at Jackson. He raised Company I, Fourth Michigan Cavalry. In July, 1862, he was mustered in as First Lieutenant of his company, and in the ensuing month received his commission as Captain and took his company into active service. After serving two months and a half as Captain he was assigned to command of a battalion, and continued in command thereof until May 27, 1864, when he was taken prisoner near Kingston, Ga. After his capture he was taken to Charleston, and was one of fifty officers of the United States Army who were placed under fire of our own guns to prevent further bombardment of the town by the federal army. He was exchanged after two months in the confederate prisons, returned to his regiment, and resumed command, remaining in the service until December 11, 1864, when he was mustered out. The principal battles which he participated in were Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge; was slightly wounded at Sparta, Tenn., in August 1863. Early in 1865 he took a stock of merchandise to Franklin, Tenn., remaining there about six months. He then returned to Michigan, where he remained for some time for the recuperation of his health, which had been considerably impaired while in the army. When he had recovered sufficiently to again attend to business duties, he embarked in railroading pursuits. His main interests being in Tennessee, he was appointed by Gov. Brownlow as one of the directors of the Nashville & Northwestern R. R., and was re-appointed to the same position by Gov. Senter, being identified with the road in its active management. He was General Baggage Agent, also for the Nashville & Chattanooga R. R. He was President of the Davidson Board of County Commissioners (Nashville being the county seat); by reason of that position he became Financial Agent of the county, and also Judge, having concurrent jurisdiction with the Chancery and other courts. He also held while at Nashville the offices of Special Assistant Internal Revenue Assessor, Alderman, Member of Common Council, and Chairman of the Fire Department. He removed from Nashville to Montgomery County, Kan., February 5, 1870, locating on northwest quarter of Section 13, Township 31, Range 16 east, in what is now West Cherry Township. What is now known as the Grant Schoolhouse is located on the farm where he first located and resided until 1873, when he came to Independence. The Judge was one of the early Commissioners of Montgomery County, serving also during the same time as Deputy United States Marshal, for this district in Kansas and for the western district of Arkansas, he having been, probably, the only man who ever held a similar position at the same time in two districts. In 1879 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and in 1881 he was elected Justice of the Peace and Police Judge. In 1883 he was re-elected to both offices. He is also United States Commissioner. He is a prominent member of the A., F. & A. M., being connected with the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He was one of the prime movers to secure the organization of McPherson Post G. A. R. at this point, this lodge being now the oldest which has been maintained in Kansas. He was married at Millers Mills, Herkimer Co., N. Y., to Elizabeth C. Fosket. They have had two childern, neither of them survive. The Judge is a lawyer by profession, and has been admitted to practice in the District and Supreme Courts of Kansas and in the Circuit District Courts of the United States.
J. W. GRAHAM, contractor and builder, was born in Genesee County, Mich., August 1, 1845. He was raised on a farm. In 1863 he went to California and enlisted in Company D, Eighth California Volunteer Infantry. In September, 1864 he was mustered out, and returned to his home in Michigan the same year. In the spring of 1866, he went to Jefferson County, Mo., where he learned carpentry. Worked at the business for ten years in Kimmswick. In June, 1875, came to Kansas, settling at Independence, where he has since been in business as a contractor of buildings. His shop is on Pennsylvania avenue, near the Lindell hotel. He does as much work as any man in the city. He is a Mason and a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married March 1, 1868, at Kimmswick, Mo., to Miss Mary V. Wilcoxen. They have four children, Olive, Alexander, William and Frederic.
J. T. GREEN, farmer, P.O. Independence, was born in Johnson County, Ind., January 25, 1847. He was raised on a farm. In 1872, he came to Kansas and located on a farm three miles west of Independence, where he has since resided, engaged in farming and stock raising. He was married October 10, 1867, in Johnson County, Indiana, to Miss Eliza J. Clemmer. They have three children, Zelma, born July 18, 1869; Mayo, born September 9, 1871; Oria, born December 1, 1877.