|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHESCHARLES H. ADAMS, Independence Planing Mills, was born in Clayton County, Iowa, January 1, 1849. At the age of seven years removed with his parents to Greene County, Ill., where he learned the printing business, and followed that calling for many years. He came to Kansas in 1870, and worked in the office of South Kansas Tribune for over a year, then removed to Howard County, and for a year published a paper at Boston, known as the Howard County Messenger. He returned to Independence for a short time, and removed to Sedan, Chautauqua County, where he was engaged as a builder and contractor for the two years following. From Sedan he went to Columbus, where he was in the same business for three years, and returned thence to Independence in the spring of 1883. On March 1 he became proprietor of the Independence Planing Mills, and is engaged in manufacturing doors, blinds, sash, stair rails and newels, and all stair work, and work usually done in shops. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
EDWARD P. ALLEN, abstractor of titles, loan broker and dealer in real estate, is a native of Greensburg, Green Co., Ky., born January 3, 1843. He removed to Mattoon, Ill., April 15, 1861, returning to Kentucky in September of the same year, and the 30th day of that month he enlisted as a private in Company E., Thirteenth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, United States Army; was promoted to Second Lieutenant and later to First Lieutenant. Participated in all the engagements of his command, and was mustered out March 31, 1864. After leaving the service he again located at Mattoon, Ill., where he resided until 1866, when he returned to Kentucky, being engaged in mercantile pursuits there until 1869, and then went to Missouri, where he remained until September, 1870, when he came to Montgomery County, locating on north half of southeast quarter Section 31, Township 33, Range 16 east. Lived there until November 27, 1873, and then came to Independence to reside, being employed as a clerk in mercantile establishments here until October 5, 1877, then was nominated for the office of Register of Deeds, and was elected in the ensuing month of November, being re-elected in 1879. While serving in that position he became associated with Clate M. Ralstin in the abstract business. Since January, 1882, he has also had a partnership interest with the same gentleman in the real estate and loan business. He has also two fine farms in the county, one in Cherokee Township, the other situated in Drum Creek Township. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and G. A. R. Mr. Allen was married at Mattoon, Ill., May 2, 1865, to Mary F. Vansant. They have four children - Mattie H., Edith, Daisy and Lillian.
S.E. ALLEN, M.D., is a native of Burlington County, N.J., having been born July 18, 1835. After the age of eight years he lived in the city of Philadelphia till 1858, when he located near Whiteleysburgh Md., remaining in the practice of medicine there over eleven years. He read medicine with Dr. Lenox Hodge of Philadelphia, and graduated from the Medical University of Pennsylvania in 1858, and in the spring of 1869, he graduated from the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania, receiving a double diploma. He was in practice in the city of Philadelphia nearly ten years prior to 1878, when he was obliged to abandon it on account of failing health. He spent three years traveling. In the spring of 1881, he located at Independence, Kan., believing this climate would prove beneficial, and the favorable effect which it has had upon his health, has fully verified his judgment in regard to advantages and results. The Doctor is now serving as a member of the Board of Education, having served one term of a year, now on a two year term. He is a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy. He was married in Burlington County, N.J., July 14, 1870, to Margaretta Thompson, a native of that county. They have three children - John E., Minerva M., and Herbert Spencer.
J. M. ALTAFFER, farmer, P. O. Independence, was born in Rockingham County. Va., January 19, 1845. He was raised a farmer. September 23, 1861, he entered the State Militia of Virginia as a substitute for a brother. April, 1862, entered the Confederate Army, in Company H, Twelfth Virginia Cavalry (as a substitute). He served until the close of the war, and was paroled and returned to his home. In June, 1866, he was elected and commissioned Lieutenant in the One Hundred and Eighth Regiment, Virginia Militia. In 1867, he came West as far as Quincy, Ill., where he worked nearly two years for the Quincy Bridge Company. He returned to Virginia in the fall of 1868, and in the spring of 1872 came to Kansas, locating on a farm, three miles south of Independence, in the Township of same name, and has been engaged in farming and stock raising since. He is a member of the Masonic order. He was married, January 19, 1869, in Rockingham County, Va., to Miss Lucy J. Williams.
J. M. ANDERSON, merchant, is a native of Oxford County, Ontario. Came to Independence, Kas. in the spring of 1871, having resided in Pennsylvania and Kentucky sixteen months prior to coming here, removing from the latter State to Kansas. He has been engaged in the mercantile business since locating here, associated with D. F. Camenga till February, 1883. In April, 1883, he engaged in business alone, dealing in dry goods, gents' furnishings, boots, shoes, hats, caps, etc. He does some jobbing trade, but his business is principally of a retail character. Mr. Anderson was married at Louisville, Ky., in April, 1871, to Belle Watts, a native of that city. They have two children - J. Albert and Elsie E.
JOE A. ARMENT, manager for the Singer Manufacturing Company at Independence, Kas., was born at Richmond, Wayne Co. Ind., January 13, 1860. In 1868 his parents removed to Waterloo, Iowa, and in 1870 to Des Moines, Iowa. In 1872 removed to Wichita, Kas. In October, 1879, was employed in A. Hess' wholesale and retail grocery, remaining there till August, 1881, when he removed to Independence, Kas., and entered the employ of the Singer Manufacturing Company. He has six counties in his charge, and sells between 300 and 400 machines a year. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, U. R. He was married May 1, 1883, at Wichita, to Miss May Jones.
ROBERT BARR, farmer, P.O. Independence, was born in the County Antrim, Ireland, April 8, 1832. He was educated in his native city, Larne, and served five years in the Royal Irish Constabulary. January 1, 1858, he reached the United States, and located in Jacksonville, Ill., where he engaged in farming. After one year on a farm, he became an employee of the R., R. I. & St. L. R. R., in their machine shops at Beardstown. After four years' service, he left the employ of the company, and was the driver of a stationary engine in Virginia City and Beardstown. In 1872 he was appointed assistant master mechanic of the railroad before mentioned, and placed as foreman over the company's shops at Rock Island. He remained in the business until 1878, when he resigned and moved to Kansas. He located on a farm in Independence Township, two miles west of the city, and has since resided there, engaged in a farming and stock raising. He has a splendid farm of 300 acres, well improved, and has a herd of cattle on the range in Chautauqua County. He was married January 11, 1856, in the County Cavan, Ireland, to Miss Jane Lord. They have seven children - Mary E., Samuel H., Robert L., James, Charles, Fanny and Edward B.
CLARENCE M. BEARD, watchmaker, with G. W. Donaldson, was born at Unity, Sullivan Co., N. H., November 7, 1854. When he was about seven years of age, his parents. John and Emily E., (Marshall) Beard, removed with their family to Rock Island, Ill., residing there one year, a short time at Geneseo, Ill., and at Oneida, Ill., till October, 1870, them removed to Independence, Kas., where they still reside. Clarence M., has worked at present business for the last ten years, since 1873 in the employ of Mr. Donaldson. He is a member of the K. of P.
GEORGE S. BEARD, real estate and loan agent, was born in Unity, Sullivan Co., N. H., January 23, 1849, lived there until 1861, then moved to Rock Island, Ill., and lived there five years, thence removed to Oneida, Knox Co., Ill., where he remained until he immigrated to Columbus, Kas., in February, 1870. In April, same year, he came to Independence, where he began operating in real estate. He was Deputy Register of Deeds part of 1872 and 1873; was City Clerk from April, 1872 to 1874. He was elected, Register of Deeds in November, 1873, and re-elected the following term, engaged in the hotel business at Kansas City, 1879, which he continued a year, after which he re-engaged in the real estate and loan business which he still continues. Was married at Independence, Kas., March, 1874, to Alice S. Stout, a native of Mechanicsville, Iowa. They have one daughter - Nola A. Mr. B. is member of the K. of P. and K. of H.
T. BONIFACE, butcher, of the firm of J. Jasper & Co. was born in Oakland County, Mich. He was educated at St. Johns Parochial School, Detroit. In 1855, moved to Hannibal, Mo, where he worked at his trade, butchering. He has also worked in Quincy, Ill., Memphis, Tenn., and Kansas City. He enlisted in April, 1861, in the Twelfth Missouri State Militia, Col. J. T. K. Hayward, commanding. They were engaged in guarding railroads, etc. In 1862 he enlisted in Company E. of the Seventh Missouri Cavalry. April 6, 1862, while on furlough from State service, helped drive cattle to Grant's army from southern Indiana. He was a present at the battle of Pittsburg Landing and took a musket in the ranks of the Twenty-first Missouri. On the charge, on Sunday evening, he was twice wounded by a bayonet in the right knee, and in the right hand and forearm. In 1871, he came to Kansas, and located at Parsons. From Parsons came to Independence and has been in trade here since. They do a fair business and have a fine farm of 140 acres near town. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married at Hannibal, Mo., in 1859, to Miss A. Clifford. They have three children - Mary H., now Mrs. A. W. Percy; Anna L., now Mrs. A. T. Nibbs, and Walter Clifford.
HUGH BRECKENRIDGE, miller, was born in Nicholas County, Ky., December 9, 1829. In October, 1833, his parents removed to Illinois, settling in Sangamon County, where he was reared on a farm. Went to California in 1852. going by way of Oregon City, traveling with a mule team. Crossed the Missouri River at St. Joe on the 2nd of May, going by way of the South Pass down Smoke River and across the Cascade Range, landing at Oregon City on July 1?th, seventy-five days out, and rested every Sunday. He enlisted in October, 1861, in Company B, Tenth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, and was mustered out January 6, 1866. Took part in the battle of Prairie Grove, Little Rock, and numerous battles. He learned the milling business at Springfield. Ill., and in 1872 built a mill at Breckenridge, Ill., which he retained until March, 1880, when he sold out. During this time he was the Postmaster at this town, and was also engaged in trade, carrying a stock of general merchandise. In 1880 he went to Colorado, and was engaged in trade at Salida, Col. He however returned East, and in 1882 bought an interest in a mill at Tecumseh, Neb., the firm being styled, H. W. Brandon & Co. In March, 1883, he sold his interest and removed to Independence, Kan. He has leased a mill for three years, and announces that he has come to stay. His best brand is fully up to the quality indicated by its name - Gilt Edge. He is a member of the Masonic order. He was married, February 22, 1855, in Sangamon County, Ill., to Miss Sarah M. Randolph. They have two children - Herbert C., born October 6, 1867, and Edith A,. born October 20, 1871.
A. BRINKMAN, grocer, was born in Prussia, October 18, 1842. Came to America with his parents when he was about fourteen years of age. About ten years after coming to the United State[sic] he located at Lawrence, Kan., where he remained until November, 1871, when he came to Independence, immediately embarking in the grocery trade after settling here. Doing business now in the same location where he first started, on Main street. In connection with a very extensive retail business he does some jobbing. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. B. was married, at Lawrence, Kan., to Mary Cottenburg, a native of Germany. They have five children living - Sophie, Minnie, Celta, Mary and Caroline. Lost one daughter, Clara, who died when about eleven months old.
AL. BROWN, photographer, was born near Pomeroy, Meigs Co., Ohio, July 26, 1851. That was his home until 1874, when he first came to Kansas, remaining here, however, only about six months, returning then to Ohio, where he again resided for three years, and then established himself in his present business at Independence, where he has since resided. He has one of the most elegant galleries in the country, apparently perfectin[sic] all its appointments. He does all kinds of photographic work, besides a large amount of oil, water and crayon work. Many photographers in the State send their work to him to receive the finishing touches. His name is Silas Allen Brown, but in consequence of the fact of other men, with same initials, doing business here, he has dropped the S. to save annoyance in various ways on account of the similarity of names.
F. W. BROWN, dealer in sewing machines, was born in Delaware County. N.Y., September 8, 1838. When a child, his parents moved to Wayne County, Ohio, where he lived twenty years. October 6, 1861, he enlisted in Company H of the Sixteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He took part in the siege of Vicksburg, Arkansas Post, and many other battles. Discharged by expiration of term, and returned to Ohio. In 1866 moved to Sturgis, Mich., then to Bristol, Ind., living a year at each place. He returned to Ohio, and lived there until 1874, when he moved to Colusa, Cal. He has always been a dealer in sewing machines. In December, 1878, returned to the East, located in Kansas City, Mo., where he was in business for two years. Again settled in Ohio, and in the spring of 1883 came to Kansas, located at Independence, and opened a store for the sale of machines and fixtures. Handles 200 machines a year, of the Domestic, Leader and Eldridge manufactures. He is a member of the G. A. R. He was married November 17, 1858, at Wooster, Ohio, to Miss Di. R. Lewis. They have four children - Lewis H., Hortense, Clyde and Harry.
W. S. BROWN, better known as "Osage" Brown, farmer and stockman, was born in Wyandotte County, Ohio, May 11, 1831. When he was seventeen years of age he went to Iowa, where he worked on a farm for two years. He saved his money, bought oxen, and took a job of breaking prairie on the reservation of the Crow Indians in Minnesota. In the fall he started to return to Ohio, but at Galena, Ill., took the cholera, and lay there six weeks, sick. Finally staged it to Chicago, and then took boat to Cleveland. Reaching his father's farm he remained until spring, and then started for California, going via Panama. The company that sold him his ticket failed to provide transportation on the Pacific, and he, with the other passengers, remained there six weeks exposed to a merciless climate and a more merciless set of inhabitants, who extorted from them in every possible way. He then shipped on a sailing vessel, the barque Ann Smith, but she was disabled in a storm, and compelled to put into Acapulco, where she was pronounced unseaworthy by the American Consul. The Monumental City with 1,700 passengers on board came into port for fresh water and provisions, and some of the passengers were permitted to land. Among them was an old man who had brought off his son's ticket, also a passenger. Mr. Brown told the old man his story, and got permission to use the extra ticket in order to get aboard the vessel, paying his last money, $10, for the privilege. He attempted to get through as a stowaway, but was finally detected by an enemy from the crew of the Ann Smith, reported to the mate, who put him in irons, chaining him to the bull wheel. The passengers protested, and he was released by the captain, who set him to heaving coal for his passage. Arriving in San Francisco, he put his case in the hands of an attorney, who libeled the ship for the wages due him, and collected $60, taking only half - an act of magnanimity which speaks well for the heart of the man, but proves him to have been no lawyer - else he would have kept it all. He worked a week on the wharves as a porter, and then went to Sacramento as a hand on a passenger steamer. He hired to drive team from Sacramento to Hangtown for $100 a month, but after working three months could not collect his pay. He then mined at Mud Springs and vicinity for a few months, and went to Yuba River, where in company with sixteen others they constructed a flume and changed the channel of the river. They mined in the river's bed for six weeks, when they lost flume and dam by a flood. Mr. B. in that time had $4,000 for his share. He returned to Sacramento, lost his money by a bank failure, and again took to driving team. To tell the ups and downs of Mr. B. in California, how he made money mining, in buying cattle and horses in Lower California, and driving them to the mines, how he lost stock by the treachery of Indians and whites, how by stampedes and accidents, how broken and dispirited by losses he would yet rise again, would require a volume. Finally in 1856, he bought a farm in Napa County, which he improved. Here on the 7th of October, 1857, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary J. Stratton. His farm was claimed under a Spanish grant, but he held it for three years, and then took 100 head of cattle and forty head of horses and established a new ranch on Eel River, paying $500 down on the land. His farm was destroyed during the winter by land slides, his cattle and horses killed and driven off by Indians, or starved to death by the terrible winter, and in the spring he bad but seventeen cattle and fifteen horses left. He returned to Napa and learned that the person who claimed his land had succeeded in getting his claim confirmed to him, and Mr. B. found his splendid farm in the hands of the adverse claimant and his tenant dispossessed. He traded for a few more cattle, and with his family and herds started for the San Juan country. After great peril from Indians, he got to the mines, and in partnership with a brother-in-law opened a butcher shop. They then bought a pack train and made money. In the fall of 1864, his sister and brother-in-law returned to Ohio, with whom he sent his family, he remaining behind to make some final disposition of his remaining property. Winter set in, and he crossed the mountains on snow shoes, and returned to Ohio just in time to be drafted into the army. Hired a substitute. His father gave him a farm, which he increased by purchase, but after two years he sold out and moved to Iowa. He went into the manufacture of woolen goods, but a declining market caused a loss, and he abandoned the enterprise. However he had made money in land speculations, and in 1869, when he came to Missouri, he was still well to do. He settled in Bates County, buying two farms. He then bought a herd of Texan cattle and wintered them in Missouri, but found that that would not pay. He moved his family to Baxter Springs and went to Texas after cattle but could not sell at a profit. Discouraged, he told his wife that if he had a range to turn his cattle on he would return to Missouri. She remarked that she thought she could establish her claim to a part of the Osage lands, as she had been born on the reserve, and formerly had attended school at the Osage Mission. Taking his family to the agency, she was recognized by relatives, and Mr. B. and his family were soon enrolled as members of the tribe. The Cherokees were leaving the lands alloted[sic] to the Osages, and he bought the claim of one of the Judges of Cherokee Nation for $600. He moved his cattle into the Territory, and has since been prospering in the business. The next summer Mrs. Brown, hearing of the death of two sisters and a brother in California, she desired to visit that State. He took his family there on a visit, was pleased with the country, and decided to remain. He bought a ranch, rented a house, and was on the point of starting East for his herds when his wife suddenly sickened and died. He abandoned California, brought his little children to Ohio, and left them with his deceased brother's widow. He subsequently, on November 15, 1875, was married to this lady. After his second marriage he moved to Texas, where he lived four years. Finding small herds did not pay in that country. He returned to Kansas, locating a ranch on the Big Caney River in the Osage country. He has a farm of 450 acres improved, 30,000 acres of fenced pasture, and now has thereon over 5,000 head of cattle. During his operations in California, a company of which he was one, went on a prospecting tour to Australia, thence returned to the Chinchi Islands, Caliao, crossed the Andes, descended the Amazon, ascended the Guaymas River, returned over the Andes, and thence back to California. Mr. Brown has five children by his first marriage - Alpheus H., Charles W., Rosa Isabel, Edward S. and Ernest E. There is no issue by the last union, but Mrs. Brown has three children by the former marriage.
ROBERT G. BURNS, farmer, P. O. Independence, was born in Lafayette, Indiana, June 1, 1841. When a small boy he moved with his parents to Vigo County, where he grew up on a farm. He enlisted at Paris, Ill., in December, 1861, in Company A of the Seventh Illinois Cavalry, and was mustered out by reason of expiration of term of service, in December, 1864. He took part in a score of battles and skirmishes. In the spring of 1865 he moved to Edgar County, Ill., but returned to Indiana the same year, whence, in 1866, he removed to Douglas County, Ill., where he lived three years; in 1868, to Henry County, Mo., and in the fall of 1869 came to Kansas, locating on a farm in Independence Township, Montgomery County, where he is engaged in farming and stock raising. He married, January 4, 1869, in Henry Country, Mo., to Miss Elizabeth J. Gastineau. They have five children - Rosa B., the first white child born in Independence, Kansas, November 1, 1869, Laura A., Albert F., Clara M. and Emmett E.
WILLIAM H. BUTLER, manufacturer of brooms, was born in Macon County, N. C., January 17 1843. He was raised on a farm, and has nearly always worked at that business. In 1876 he came to Kansas, and located on a farm in Montgomery County. For two years he was engaged in milling, two miles east of Coffeyville. In 1882, he moved to Independence, and in September of the same year began the manufacture of brooms in the city. He turns out a hundred dozen a month, his product finding ready sale at from $2.20 to $2.65 per dozen. His shops are on Main Street, nearly opposite the Main Street Hotel.