KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HALL - MOESLI).DR. S. T. HALL, surgeon dentist, was born in Butler Township, Montgomery Co., Ohio, July 1, 1834. Resided there till 1855, then removed to Piqua, Miami Co., Ohio, there commencing the study and practice of dentistry. After eleven years residence in that place he went to Dayton, Ohio, living there three years; thence to St. Mary's, Ohio, where he remained two years, then locating at Fredericktown, Madison Co., Mo., continuing in practice there till June 27, 1876, when he came to Independence, Kan., being at the present time the oldest practicing dentist in Montgomery County. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. The doctor was married at Piqua, Ohio, March 16, 1860, to Maggie Leyman, a native of Shelby County, Ohio. They have two children, Lizzie I. and Freeman. Miss Lizzie Hall is an artist of rare merit, having already attained considerable notice as a painter. She is at present attending an art school, it being the intention of her father to afford every possible opportunity for her to become thoroughly skilled.
JAMES HANLEY, manufacturer of all kinds of mattresses, tents, awnings, etc., is a native of Rutland County, Vt., born December 25, 1850. The family lived there for a few years and moved to Fort Wayne, Ind., and lived there a year, and then removed to North Manchester, Wabash Co., Ind. In 1869, he went to Terre Haute, Ind. He entered the service in October, 1864, in Twenty-fifth Indiana Battery, being then less than 14 years old, and served eleven months. In June, 1866, he enlisted in the regular army and was stationed at Newport Barracks, Ky., Wheeling, Va., and Cincinnati, Ohio, being in the recruiting service the entire term of three years enlistment, excepting three months at Newport Barracks. He came to Independence, Kan., in October, 1879, and in September, 1880, engaged in his present business, which he has followed since 1877. He was married at Terre Haute, Ind., September 10, 1878, to Emma A. Farguson, a native of Vigo County, Ind. They have two children, Francis A. and Mary E.
R. C. HARPER was born at Lima Ohio, October 13, 1840. At the age of thirteen, began to learn the printer's trade, which he followed until entering the army, in 1863, enlisting in the Eleventh Indiana Regiment. Entering the army as Second Lieutenant, he was promoted to Captain at his discharge, having served two years. Following this, in 1867, he began traveling as salesman for a wholesale boot and shoe house, at Dayton, Ohio, in which he continued two years. He came to Kansas in May, 1872, and was engaged in the hardware business, working at his trade, etc., until in the fall of 1881, in company with Wassam, he started the Evening Reporter, at Independence, as a daily paper.
HON. THOMAS HARRISON, Probate Judge, is a native of Northamptonshire, England, born September 21, 1825. His parents, Thomas and Mary (Musson) Harrison, came with their family to America in 1832, locating in Oneida County, near Utica, N.Y., where he lived about four years and then removed to Libson, Ill., where the subject of this sketch lived until he was about twenty-one years of age. He was educated at Knox College, Galesburg, Ill., and read law in that city, and began practicing there. He assisted in raising a company for an Illinois regiment. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company A, Seventy-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving in that regiment until 1864; also served as First Lieutenant of colored troops for one year. He came to Kansas July 1, 1869, locating near the present town site of Liberty, after abandoning a claim which he had at first taken, located where Independence is now situated. He was a member of one of the first School Boards organized in Montgomery County. He has constantly been engaged in the practice of law since coming to this State, except during the period in which he held offices which precluded his giving attention to his regular practice. In January, 1872, he removed to Independence, and has served as Justice of Peace and United States Commissioner, and is also prominently identified with the educational interests of Independence Township. In November, 1882, he was elected Probate Judge, and in February, 1883, he removed to this city. He is a member of the G.A.R. The Judge was married at Galesburg Ill., December 28, 1854, to M. Eliza Chambers, daughter of Matthew Chambers, one of the earliest settlers of Galesburg. She is a native of Vermont. They have three children - Mary H., now Mrs. Seth Starr of Sedan, Kan.; Thomas J., a student at Knox College, Galesburg, Ill., and Cordelia E.
L. S. HECKMAN, proprietor of the Commercial House, was born in Reading, Pa., September 11, 1840. April 18, 1861, he enlisted in the Pennsylvania line for three months, and in August of the same year enlisted in Company E of the Forty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, for three years. Served three years and four months, and mustered out by reason of expiration of term of service. In 1866, he moved to Kent, Portage County, and was engaged in butchering. In 1870 he came to Kansas, located in Chautauqua County, where he was engaged in trading with the Osage Indians, and in live stock trade. September, 1871, came to Independence, and has lived here since. He continued his live stock operations until the fall of 1881, when he bought and improved the Commercial Hotel, and since then has been the proprietor of this popular hostelry. Was a Justice of the Peace in Chautauqua County, and was two years a member of the School Board in Independence, also a member of the City Council. He belongs to the G. A. R. He was married at Reading, Pa., September, 1865, to Miss A.V. Baum. They have four children - Mary E., Edward McD., John H. and William E.
M. D. HENRY, agent Adams Express Co., is a native of Manlius, Onondaga Co., N. Y., born December 23, 1817. When he was a child his parents removed with their family to Ohio, locating on a farm between Medina & Wooster. He lived there until the fall of 1841, then removed to Janesville, Wis., remaining there and at Milwaukee and Sheboygan several years, afterwards locating at Fond du Lac, where he resided for a period of twenty-two years, being connected with J. Frink & Co.'s Mail Co., holding the responsible position of paymaster for the company, sixteen years. From Fond du Lac he removed to Des Moines, Iowa, and became assistant superintendent and paymaster of the Western Stage Co., remaining there till 1868, when he went to Kansas City and was identified with the railway interests of Kansas for some time, locating at Independence, Montgomery Co., Kas., in May, 1870. He was in mercantile business for a while and also connected with the construction of the L., L. & G. R. R. from Cherryvale to this place. Since 1872 he has been express agent, for four years representing Wells, Fargo & Co., since then with the Adams Express Co. Mr. Henry is a prominent and popular member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He was married at Fond du Lac, Wis., May 25, 1853, to Mary A. Boyd, a native of England. They have two children - Thomas B. and Milton D.
E. HOLCOMB is a native of Jefferson County, Illinois, his father, Mr. James Holcomb, having settled there from Granby, Hartford Co., Conn., in 1846, and subsequently located near Grasshopper Falls, Kas., in 1856. The subject of this memoir, at the age of nineteen, enlisted in Company A, Seventh Kansas Cavalry, at Sabetha, Brown County, August 16, 1861, and participated in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged. Was wounded at Town Creek, Ala., and on the night of December 24, 1863, while carrying despatches [sic] from Gen. A. L. Lee at Purdy, Tenn., to Gen. Smith, his party of six men found themselves surprised by forty mounted rebels and four of them taken prisoners. He with a comrade escaped to the swamp, where they lay concealed all day, and at nightfall, abandoning their horses, they took the M. & O. R. R. track to Corinth, Miss., where they arrived safely. Mr. H. re-enlisted same day and served with distinction till mustered out September 29, 1865, at Leavenworth, Kansas. Subsequently he settled for a time in Nebraska. Was again in Kansas for several years, and finally located in Montgomery County, in 1881. Mr. Holcomb is a member of Lincoln Post, G. A. R., of Topeka, and also of Central Lodge, No. 111. I. O. O. F., of Lincoln County, where he was under Sheriff for two years, and was also for a time Treasurer of Liberty Township, Montgomery Co., Kansas. For several years he has been engaged in railroad contracting, and is at present engaged in building track, etc., upon the new branch of the Topeka, Salina & Western Railroad, Shawnee County, his family continuing to reside in Independence.
DR. H. G. HOOSER, druggist and physician, was born in Todd County. Ky., January 30, 1838. Came to Parker, Montgomery Co., Kan., April 1, 1871, and engaged in the practice of medicine there till June, 1873, when he engaged in the drug trade at Independence. In 1880 he also added a stock of jewelry to his business. Although not giving special attention to his profession since coming here, he has at no time been entirely out of practice. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. - BlueLodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery - K. of H. and Equitable Aid Union. The doctor was married at Cynthiana, Harrison Co., Ky., in September, 1866 to Mary E. Gribbon, a native of Paris, Ky. They have five children - Isaac Walter, Albert D., Stella May, Katie and Samuel.
JOHN W. HOWE, dealer in millinery, born in Bartholomew County, Ind., July 5, 1848. He enlisted, September 3, 1863, in Company A, of the One Hundred and Twentieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He served in the Twenty-third Army Corps, and was mustered out, February 21, 1866, as Orderly Sergeant. He was in the battles of Lookout Mountain, Kenesaw, Peach Tree Creek, Franklin, Nashville, and many other battles and engagements. Returned to Indiana, and in September, 1866, moved to Missouri, and clerked in a store at Carrollton. In 1869 he came to Kansas, locating at old Liberty, Montgomery County, where he worked at carpentering, and afterwards clerked in a store. In 1879, was traveling salesman for Baxter & Wade, wholesale grocers of Independence. In 1880, became a salesman for Pool, Thayer & Williams, fancy dry goods, notions and millinery. January 1, 1883, he engaged with Joel J. Bailey & Co., fancy dry goods, and Kohn, Adler & Co., millinery both of Philadelphia. He travels through Kansas. He also owns a retail millinery store in Independence, which is managed by his wife. They have an excellent stock of goods and an extensive trade. He is a member of the Masonic order. Was married, May 15, 1873, at Liberty, Kan., to Miss Lillian Watts. They have one child - Mary E., born August 8, 1874.
HON. LYMAN U. HUMPHREY, attorney, ex-Lieutenant Governor, was born in Stark County, Ohio, July 25, 1844. His father, Col. Lyman Humphrey, a native of Connecticut, of English descent, and a lawyer of distinction, died when the subject of this sketch was but eight years of age. At the outbreak of the war, in 1861, Gov. Humphrey was attending the High School at Massillon, and at the age of seventeen, enlisted in Company I, Seventy-sixth Ohio Infantry, a regiment famous for its bravery and for the eminent men who belonged to it. He was promoted First Lieutenant; acted as Adjutant of his regiment, and commanded a company for a year before he was out of his minority. Much active service was experienced by him, and among the battles he participated in were, Donelson, Pittsburg Landing, Corinth, the Siege of Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Atlanta, and the campaign around that city, being under fire five or six weeks in that single campaign. Was with Sherman in his march to the sea. Was at the capture of Savannah, and engaged in many other trying scenes. He was twice wounded, once at Pittsburg Landing, and again at Chattanooga. He was with the regiment in the campaign through the Carolinas, and took part in the battle of Bentonville, as well as in the capture of Gen. Joe Johnston's army. During the four years of service he never was absent for a day from his duty, and refused to retire when wounded. The regiment belonged to the First Brigade, First Division, Fifteenth Corps, Army of the Tennessee. At the termination of the war, Captain Humpherey entered Mount Union College, and soon afterward began a law course in the Michigan University. He was admitted to practice in the several courts of Ohio, in 1868, and then removed to Shelby County, Mo., and assisted in the editorial work on the Shelby County Herald. He shortly after that came to Kansas, locating at Independence, in February, 1871, and forming a law partnership with Hon. A. M. York. The Independence Tribune was founded by Messrs. A. M. York, W. T. Yoe and L. U. Humphrey, a relation sustained by the latter one year. The law partnership lasted until 1876. Since then Mr Humphrey has continued in practice alone. In 1871, he was nominated as Republican candidate for a seat in the State Legislature; but because of his vigorous opposition to the issuance of questionable bonds to the L., L. & G. R. R. Co., he was defeated by a small vote. In 1876, he was vindicated by an election to the House, from a district formerly Democratic, and served two years as member of the Republican State Central Committee. In 1877 he was chosen to fill a vacancy in the office of Lieutenant Governor, and the following year re-elected by a popular majority of 40,795. Gov. Humphrey has been called upon frequently to preside as a judge, pro tem of the District Court, an honor which indicates the degree of confidence reposed in him by the public. He has been an active Republican, and has an honorable record as a speaker and writer. His affability, his frankness, and his justice in dealing with men, preserve to him a high standing in the esteem of all. The Governor was married at Independence, December 25, 1872, to Miss Amanda Leonard, daughter of James C. Leonard. They have two childern - Lyman L. and A. Lincoln.
NORMAN H. IVES was born in Winnebago County Ill., December 25, 1843. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, of the Thirty-seventh Illinois Regiment. At the battle of Pea Ridge, March 7, 1862, he received a gun shot wound through both legs, that permanently disabled him. The ball passed through the left thigh and right knee. On account of disability, he was discharged from the service in August, 1862, and returned to Illinois. In the winter of 1863-64, he was a student at Bryant & Stratton's college, at Chicago; he then entered the Government service again, as a clerk in the Commissary Department, and was located at Nashville, Tenn., under Col. J. C. Reed, Chief Commissary of the Department. He remained one year, and returned to Illinois, where he taught school in Knox and Mercer Counties. He came to Kansas in 1866, from Knox County, Ill., located in Linn County, and taught school for a time and then clerked in a store. He began business on his own account at Mound City, as a dealer in jewelry, but after two years there, in 1870 he removed the business to Independence; he soon after sold out and clerked in the postoffice until 1872, when he was elected Register of Deeds for Montgomery County, serving a term of two years. In June, 1874, he was appointed Postmaster at Independence, serving, until July, 1882. He then engaged in the grocery trade with Mr. Millis, but in the spring of 1883, sold out and is now engaged in general merchandising in Elk City. He belongs to the I. O. O. F., G. A. R. and K. of H. He was married December 25, 1869, at Mound City, Kan., to Miss Ruth Dean. They have three children - Claudie Dean, William Bruce and Ralph Roy.
CAPT. JAMES JOHNSON, contractor and builder, was born in Sweden, April 15, 1835. In 1850, he shipped aboard a vessel as cabin boy, and made one voyage. He then learned carpentery, and then went to sea, sailing twelve years as ship carpenter and two years as master of a vessel. During this time he visited both coasts of Africa, the Indies, China, Japan, Kamschatka, all Western Europe and America. Once he was shipwrecked in the Baltic in the Danish brig, Christina, and himself and the captain alone were saved. In 1869, he came to United States to settle, bringing with him 1,500 emigrants. Norwegains, Danes and Swedes, he being agent and interpreter. He settled then in Jasper County, Mo., and Montgomery County, Kan. He than was employed by the S.P.R.R. Co. and their agents to solicit emigration to their lands and hire laborers for them. After six months, he settled on a farm on Onion Creek, Fawn Creek Township, were he lived a few months and then came to Independence, where he has since lived, engaged in contracting and building, excepting one year, when he was in Topeka, 1874, and while in Topeka, he built the Topeka National Bank and many other good buildings. He has up to this writing, 1882, built 175 buildings in Montgomery County. In 1878, he visited Sweden, and in 1881 visited Washington Territory and Oregon and Vancouver's Island, on a tour of observation. But his business has never stopped, being in charge of able assistants. He belongs to the A.O.U.W. He was married May 8, 1875, at Independence, Kan., to Miss Anna Davis. They have one child - Charles, born July 12, 1874.
LOUIS JOHNSON, dealer in hides, furs and wool, was born in Denmark, May 21, 1831. He learned the baker's trade, which business he followed until he came to America in 1865. He located in Ottawa in 1868, after traveling through various sections of the country and working in St. Louis and Chicago. On coming to Kansas, he began trade in his present line, and in 1876 removed to Independence. He occupies a brick store room on Main street, and does a large trade in hides, wools and furs. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married in 1879, at Kansas City, Mo., to Mrs. Christina Thompson. Mrs. Johnson has one son - Peter Thompson, by a former marriage, besides they have adopted a little girl, Miss Augusta Johnson.
HON. WILSON KINCAID, merchant and County Commissioner, was born near Youngstown, Trumbull Co., Ohio, April 8, 1844, and reared in Mahoning County, Ohio. In December, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Sixth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, serving until August, 1865, then returned to Ohio, where he remained till the fall of 1865, when he located in Linn County, Kan., where Mound City is now situated, employed there as a clerk for his brothers five years. In the spring of 1870 he came to Independence, embarking in the mercantile business for himself in June of that year, William Worden being associated with him as a partner nearly one year. O. B. Root then purchased Worden's interest in the business and the firm was Kincaid & Root until February, 1880, since which time Mr. Kincaid has carried on business without a partner. He has a very extensive trade in general merchandise, occupying two larger stores. He is now serving his third year as a member of the Board of County Commissioners. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. K. was married at Mound City, Kan., in January, 1870, to Louise Hughes, a native of Ohio, but reared at Dixon, Ill. They have three children living, Bond W., Robert and Bessie. Lost one daughter, Mabel, who died at the age of nine months.
G. KOEHN, proprietor of flouring mills, was born in Germany, February 24, 1840, came to America in 1865. Prior to coming to Kansas, he lived in New York, Ohio and Missouri. In 1867 he located at Farlinville, Linn Co., Kan., living there one year, afterwards working at his trade of miller at various places until 1876, when he engaged in business for himself at Guilford, Wilson Co., Kan., remaining there one year; then in other places until 1881, when he engaged in merchant and custom milling business at Independence. He has been working in mills since his youth. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. He was married in Prussia, in July, 1863, to Mary Henrietta Klinkmann, a native of that country. They have eight children, Paul, Otto, Max, Emma, Minnie, Edward, Grace and John.
WILLIAM H. LARIMER, son of Gen. William Larimer, formerly of Pittsburg, Pa., but late of Kansas and Colorado, was born in Pittsburg, Pa., December 9, 1840. In 1855 his parents moved to Nebraska and located in Sarpy County. In 1858 they came to Kansas, settling at Leavenworth, and the same year, in company with his father, went to Pike's Peak, Col., and engaged in freighting and was at the time the youngest boy in the Territory. He was on the site of Denver City before a single building had been erected in the place. He was the first clerk of the Overland Express Company at that place and helped to build the first cabin in the town. Larimer Street, Denver, and Larimer County, Col., were named in honor of Gen. Larimer. Mr. L. returned to Kansas in 1863 and lived in Leavenworth until 1867, when he went to Montana Territory, but, after a year in the mines, returned to Kansas, and in March, 1871, settled at Independence and engaged in the hotel business in partnership with Mr. Allen, keeping the Caldwell House. He afterwards sold his interest in the hotel to Mr. Bryant. Meanwhile Mr. L. was engaged in stock trade with Mr. H. H. Crane, firm of Crane & Larimer. They have extensive stock ranches in the Indian Territory and Kansas. They have about 4,000 cattle on the range and are constantly increasing their business. They are members of the Cherokee Strip Live Stock Association. Mr. L. was married February 22, 1870, at St. Joseph, Mo., to Miss Mattie Montgomery. They have two children, Annie F. and William H.
PROF. GEORGE B. LESLIE, County Superintendent of Public Instruction, is a native of West Albany, Vt.; born August 30, 1842; lived in Onondaga County, N. Y., from 1846 to 1849; afterwards at Kalamazoo, Mich. He was educated at the Baptist Seminary, Schoolcraft, Mich. In 1862 he began teaching school in Michigan. In 1863 he removed to Indiana, continuing to teach there until 1869, afterwards in Michigan again until September, 1876, when he came to Kansas, locating in Mound Valley, Labette County. In the spring of 1877, he removed to Cherryvale, Montgomery County, being principal of the school there till the spring of 1882. In November, 1882, he was elected to his present office. Since 1862 he has given close attention to teaching. He served three years as County Surveyor, resigning that position to assume the duties of County Superintendent of Schools; he was also Township Clerk at the same time. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. He was married at Schoolcraft, Mich., July 3, 1873, to Alice McFall, a native of Pennsylvania. They have one child - George Edwin.
THEODORE LOCKWOOD is a native of Milan, Erie Co., Ohio, was raised there and made Chicago, Ill., his home six or eight years previous to coming to Kansas, where he settled in December, 1870. He then engaged in the Texas cattle trade until 1874, then in the loan business until 1878, since which time he has been engaged in the grain trade, farming, etc. In the season of 1882 he handled 200 to 300 car loads corn and thirty to forty cars of flax-seed. He buys grain at all the stations between Independence and Longton, also does considerable business at Elk City.
WILLIAM A. LOVELAND, druggist, was born at Havana, Ill., April 19,1857. He made that place his home until October, 1873, at which time he came to Independence, Kan. He embarked in the drug business in 1876 and continued one year; he then attended Commercial College at Lawrence, Kan., for some time. He dealt in cattle from 1878 until the spring of 1883. In September, 1882, he re-engaged in the drug trade and has since continued the same. He has several farms in the county. Mr. L. is a member of the K. of P. He was married, in Chicago, Ill., December 11, 1877, to Miss Effie M. Davis; born June 16, 1859; a native of Monmouth, Ill. They have two children, Jessie E., born July 25, 1879, and Anna Fay, born October 21, 1881, both born in Independence, Kan.
HON. J. D. McCUE, County Attorney, is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, born March 3, 1843, educated in the schools of the ci y [sic] of his nativity. Read law at Aledo, Ill., and was admitted to the bar at Ottawa, Ill., in 1867. Soon after the War of the Rebellion broke out he enlisted in Company I, Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, mustered into the State service May 13, 1861, and was mustered into United States Army May 25, 1861, his regiment being the first in Illinois, which was accepted for the three year's service. Mr. McCue served in that regiment for the full term of enlistment (three years), and then re-enlisted in Company E, Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, finally discharged June 5, 1865. He participated in all the engagements of his commands and was wounded at Blakely, Ala., April 9, 1865. He is a member of the G. A. R. Mr. McCue located at Oswego, Kan., July 17, 1867. The Independence Town Company was organized by Oswego gentlemen and Mr. McCue drew the charter of the company, and at an early day located in this place. He does an extensive law practice and gives considerable attention to collections. He was married, in Illinois, to Orvilla Robb, December 20, 1870. She is a native of Pittsburg, Pa. They have two children, Clark and Hugh R.
JOHN McCULLAGH, hardware merchant, is a native of Henderson, Henderson Co., Ky. Came to Kansas 1863, locating at Lawrence, Douglas Co., engaged in stock business there for some time, then for two years in mercantile business at Baldwin City, afterwards at Iola two years, and at Erie, Neosho County, eighteen months. In December, 1869, he came to Independence, being engaged in the drug trade until 1880, when he embarked in hardware business, which he has since continued. He has held various city offices, served as Alderman, member of the Board of Education, etc. He is a member of A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and commandry. He was married at Erie, Neosho Co., Kan., May 13, 1869, to Sarah L. Swallow, a native of Ontario. They have three chidren - John Jr., George and Lucy. Mrs. McCullagh came to Anderson County, Kan., in 1854, with her father, David B. Swallow, who was a resident of this State until 1879, when he removed to Arkansas where he now resides.
W. A. McCULLY, M. D., was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, November 18, 1837. Graduated from the Ohio Medical College in March, 1862. In August, 1862, he was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the Sixty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was promoted to the position of Surgeon of Volunteers in the fall of 1863, continuing in the service till the spring of 1866. After leaving the army he located at Richmond, Ind., remaining there one year, then in Missouri four years prior to removal to Kansas. In October, 1871, he located at Independence, and has had a large and lucrative practice here since that time. He is considerably interested in the cattle business, having become identified with the stock interests of southern Kansas about five years ago. The Doctor is president of the Montgomery County Medical Society, and is a member of the State Association. He is a prominent member of the A. F. & A. M. and G. A. R. While serving as Surgeon in the army he treated the yellow fever with eminent success at Key West, Fla., in 1864, being Health Officer of the United States Army at that point in 1864 and 1865. The disease attacked him but he recovered, and was able to render valuable service during the time that the epidemic raged there. In 1878 the Doctor volunteered his services to the disease stricken people of Memphis and contributed largely towards their amelioration, freely giving his services without compensation. His generous and humane conduct deserves national commendation. The Doctor was married at Columbus, Ohio, in August, 1863, to Isabella Weir, a native of that place. They have two children, Annie Laura and Daisy May.
BENJAMIN F. MASTERSON, M. D., is a native of Addison, Steuben Co., N. Y., born February 5, 1844. When he was eleven years of age, his parents removed with their family to Salem, Ind. The Doctor graduated from the Ohio Medical College, and began practice in Indiana. Came to Independence, Kan., in January, 1870, having been engaged in practice at Decatur, Ill., for a year prior to locating here. He served six years as Alderman of this city. Was elected Coroner in November, 1881, and in April, 1883 he was elected Mayor. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., K. of H. and G. A. R. He enlisted August 18, 1862, in Company E, Fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was in all battles of his command, Entered the service as a private, but was afterward assigned to duty as Hospital Steward. Mustered out June 14, 1865. The Doctor is a member of the State and County Medical Societies. He was married in December, 1872, to Nannie D. Conner, a native of Iowa, but among the early settlers of Independence, Kan., having locating here in 1869.
S. V. MATTHEWS, Clerk of the District Court, is a native of Muncie, Delaware Co., Ind., born Febuary 15, 1858, living in his native place until he came with parents to Kansas in 1872, locating at Independence, May 18, of that year. Attended school here for several years, and from December 9, 1878, until 1880, he was a law student in the office of J. D. McCue; he was admitted to the bar December 30, 1880. In March, 1881, he was appointed Deputy District Clerk, holding that position, except one-term of Court, until he was elected Clerk of the Court, November, 1882, assuming the duties of the office January 8, 1883. He was married at Findlay, January 17, 1883, to Anna W. Vance, a native of Ohio. Mr. M. is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
JOHN H. MILLER, dealer in agricultural implements, was born in Wells County, Ind., August 3, 1848. He was raised in Ohio from the age of five years. Enlisted in September, 1863, Company M, Twelfth Ohio Cavalry. Mustered out in November, 1865, then returned to Ohio and lived until he came to Lawrence, Kan., October, 1866. He lived in the latter city until 1869, when he went to St. Louis, Mo., and remained during the winter. He then returned to Kansas and located at Fort Scott a year, then spent a year in Texas; Thayer, Kan., one year. Colorado was his next place of residence, for six months, Wyoming Territory, nine months, thence to Utah, where he engaged with Express Company on U. P. R. R. He returned to Indiana in 1875, where he remained until the fall of 1882. He located in Independence, Kan. In January, 1883, he became associated with D. B. Gray in the sale of agricultural implements. He was married at Muncie, Delaware Co., Ind., June 21, 1877, to Mattie M. Williams, of the latter place. They have two children - Kittie B., and Claude W. Mr. M. is a member of the McPherson Post, G. A. R. His father, Samuel Miller, located in Douglas County, Kan., 1857, on the farm where the battle of Black Jack was fought. He is now engaged in farming in Neosha [sic] County, Kan.
J. C. MOESLI, butcher, was born in Switzerland, March 10, 1849. Educated in a high school, and apprenticed to the butcher's trade. In January, 1866 he came to America, landing in New York and thence proceeded to Cincinnati, where he worked at his trade, and then went to Columbus, working at the trade there. He returned to Switzerland on a visit, staid [sic] seven months, and came back to Columbus, Ohio, with his wife, in 1874. He continued to reside in Columbus until 1882, when he came to Kansas, locating at Independence, and began business on his own account. He cuts on an average four bullocks a week, besides other meats. Is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married at Guise, Switzerland, October, 1874, to Miss Hannah Gingg. They have three children - Emma, Mina and Oscar.