KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Part 12

[TOC] [part 13] [part 11] [Cutler's History]

CHERRYVALE.

Cherryvale was laid off as a town site, in May, 1871, by the Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern Kansas Railway Company, and is situated in the eastern part of Montgomery County, about ten miles east of the city of Independence. The land , upon which the place is built, was originally taken as a claim, by Joseph Wise. The first building erected upon the site was the Union Hotel, built by "General" Darr. The first store was started by C. A. Clotfelter and J. P. Baldwin, consisting of general merchandise. Stanfield and Brewer had a store about a mile north of the town site, which, when the town was laid out, they moved upon the site, and in 1872, sold out to Seth Paxton. The town had made some progress up to 1873, when a fire broke out, destroying the main business part of town. This had the effect to dishearten those of her unfortunate business men and to dampen the prospects of the town. But they were not men easily enduced to give up, and in the face of all discouragements, O. F. Carson and C. C. Kincaid began the erection of a brick business block, which was soon followed by other solid stone and brick houses. O. F. Carson began the drug business here in 1872. For some time the progress of the town was extremely slow, and, during a period of eight years, up to 1879, it had a population of only 250. During the last named year, the St. Louis, Wichita and Western Railroad was built, crossing the K. C., L. & S. K. road at this place. The narrow gauge railroad was constructed during this year, by the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad Company, leading from here to the coal fields in Cherokee County, and which was made a standard gauge road in October, 1882. It was, also, in 1879, that the K. C., L. & S. K. road was extended westward to the Arkansas River, and the piece of this road leading south to Coffeyville was afterwards operated as a branch. This gave the town a new impetus and its building became rapid as it had hitherto been slow. It now is a city numbering 1,400 inhabitants and a place of fine commercial importance, numbering many large and substantial business establishments. The place contains numerous solid brick business block and tastily constructed residences.

From a little village, in 1879, with only 250 people, Cherryvale, in about one year's time, was ready to become a city under the law, as she already was in size; and in March, 1880, pursuant to a petition signed by the citizens and presented to the court, by E. D. Hastings, was duly incorporated as a city of the third class. On the first Tuesday of April, city officers were elected as follows: C. C. Kincaid, Mayor; A. Buch, J. M. Richardson, Frank Bellchamber, J. A. Handley and A. V. McCormick, Councilmen; A. Wood, Police Judge. At the first meeting of the mayor and council, A. Phalp was appointed Treasurer, M. F. Wood, Clerk; J. C. Cunningham, Marshal, and B. F. Hinds, Street Commissioner. In the following May, Councilmen Richardson and Bellchamber moved out of the city, and, at a special election in June, N. B. Sawyer and C. P. Buffington were elected to fill the vacancies. The present city officers are: A. Phalp, Mayor; M. F. Wood, Clerk; C. C. Kincaid, Treasurer; S. P. Moore, Police Judge; J. W. C. Osborn, Marshal and Street Commissioner; E. B. Clark, C. A. Mitchell, E. D. Hastings, W. E. Martin and E. S. McDonald, Councilmen.

SCHOOLS, CHURCHES, ETC.

The first school was taught in Cherryvale in the summer of 1873, by Miss Mary Greenfield. A schoolhouse was erected in 1872, and is a small two-story frame structure. This building has long since become insufficient for the accommodation of the schools, which were provided apartments in such rooms as could be had suitable for the purpose. A commodious new school building was erected in the fall of 1882, and is a fine two-story brick structure containing four large rooms, and cost about $6,000. The schools, now systematically graded, enumerate a population of 490 pupils, enrolling 354, with an average daily attendance of 204, and are superintended by G. B. Leslie, assisted by four competent teachers.

Cherryvale, also, has her quota of church organizations, as follows:

The Methodist Episcopal congregation was organized in 1871, and a regular church edifice was erected in 1880. It is a brick building of moderate dimensions, and of suitable architecture. The building was begun under the administration of Rev. William Shambaugh, and completed under that of Rev. James Murray, the present pastor of the church.

The Baptist Society was established here, on May 18, 1873, by Rev. J. R. Baldwin, with eight members, and was effected in the schoolhouse, in which the early services were held, until the removal to the Opera Hall. The congregation, numbering thirty-two members, is under the charge of Rev. Mr. Johnson.

The First Presbyterian Church was organized December 11, 1881. First meetings were held at Opera House, and the congregation continued to worship there until January 1, 1883, then moved into their new church edifice, which has been constructed at a cost of $2,700. Present indebtedness only $400. It is one of the best church buildings in Southern Kansas belonging to the Presbyterian denomination. Original membership twenty-four; present membership fifty. They have a well attended Sunday school, average attendance being fifty. First pastor, Rev. W. B. Truax, remained from December, 1881, to April, 1882; succeeded by present pastor, Rev. S. W. Griffin. To the personal efforts of C. L. Berry and Rev. W. B. Truax may be attributed the successful organization of the First Presbyterian Church of Cherryvale. The present officers of the church are: C. L. Berry, treasurer and superintendent Sunday school; James Morning, clerk; J. B. Odil and D. R. Griffith, deacons.

The Catholic Society, organized in 1875, and a church house was built in 1877, and is a small frame building. The society here is small, and is under the spiritual advisement of Father Scholls, of Independence.

The Cherryvale Globe was established and the first issue made August 3, 1878, by Pratt & Buffington. In about a year Pratt sold out his interest to Buffington. This change took place in September, 1879, and in the latter part of December the establishment was burned up. The citizens, realizing their loss in being without a paper, lent their aid and influence towards its re-establishment, and, in April of the next year, the paper was resurrected from the dust and ashes of the conflagration, by Buffington & Rambo. For awhile, until the material and press and everything was in shape, the paper was printed at Kansas City. In November, 1880, T. C. Copeland bought Rambo's interest, who, in turn, soon disposed of his part of the concern to C. T. Ewing. Another change was soon made, and in May, 1881, the Globe Publishing Company was formed, composed of C. P. Buffington, J. D. Hinkle and J. J. Chatham, and on February 10, 1882, became the sole possession of J. D. Hinkle, & was subsequently united with the Cherryvale News, edited and published by S. P. Moore & Son, the new paper being called the Globe News, and is now in successful operation.

The first issue of the Cherryvale Torch was made in February, 1882, by C. P. Buffington and T. C. Copeland. After running about three months, Buffington sold his share to C. T. Ewing, who, in September, 1882, bought Copeland's interest also, and became sole proprietor, and employed A. S. Duley as editor and manager of the paper.

Cherryvale Lodge, No. 137, A., F. & A. M., was instituted October 16, 1873, with thirteen charter members. The officers elected were: O. F. Carson, worshipful master; Seth Paxton, senior warden and J. C. Breckenridge, junior warden. The present membership is fifty-five. The present officers are: O. F. Carson, worshipful master; M. L. Crowl, senior warden; William Hummell, junior warden.

Cherryvale Lodge, No. 142, I. O. O. F., was organized October 10, 1877, with five charter members, as follows: W. B. Baldwin, George Lutz, Cyrus Campbell, N. B. Thorp and S. F. Smith.

The society of the Ancient Order of United Workmen was instituted in February, 1882, by Deputy Grand Master, D. M. Legg, of Winfield, with twenty charter members. C. P. Buffington was chosen past master workman; C. C. Thompson, master workman; S. L. Gibson, overseer; A. D. Smith, foreman; A. K. Cain, recorder; and J. P. Baker, receiver.

The Cherryvale Opera House Company was organized and incorporated as a joint stock company in September, 1880, with J. W. Willis, president; E. B. Clark, secretary; and O. F. Carson, treasurer. A large one-story frame opera hall was constructed, and is used as an opera and town hall, and also for school purposes.

Bank. - A banking house was established here, in the spring of 1880, by C. T. Ewing, he being president of the institution, and C. A. Mitchell, cashier. A bank building was erected in the fall of 1881, and is a substantial two-story brick structure, suitably arranged for banking purposes.

Besides the usual smaller factories as are common to small cities, such as wagon making, etc., Cherryvale has only one manufacturing establishment of importance, and that is, the flouring mill, which was established here in 1873 by a man named Dodd. The mill contains four run of buhrs, and has a capacity for grinding 200 bushels of wheat and 100 of corn per day. The building is sixty feet long by thirty wide, and is two stories high. The establishment, after changing hands several times, is now owned by A. Buch, and does a flourishing business.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ADAMS - FRICKLETON).

FRANK ADAMS, ticket and freight agent of the K., C. L. & S. K. R. R. Co., was born at Humboldt, Allen Co., Kan, March 18, 1860. He attended school until he was sixteen years old, and then began railroading, first as telegraph operator, since then as railroad agent at several points, being frontier agent for the L., L. & G. R. R. Co. during the construction of the road from Independence to Winfield. After serving as agent at Grenola, Lawrence and Olathe, he came to Cherryvale, in November, 1882. He is one of the most popular agents in the employ of the company. He is a member of the Kansas Benevolent Association.

CHARLES L. BERRY, banker and merchant, is a native of Mount Pleasant, Henry Co., Iowa, born September 1, 1852. In 1853 his parents removed with their family to Kentucky. Lived there until 1855. From that time until 1872 he resided in Tennessee. March 9, 1872, he came to Bourbon County, Kas.; was a student at Xenia, in that county, for one year; worked at blacksmithing at Garnett seven months, then at Central City two years. Returning to Garnett, he taught school there for a period of four years. Represented D. Appleton & Co. in Anderson County for the sale of school books, etc.; afterward in boot and shoe and tire insurance business at Garnett until September, 1881,when he came to came to Cherryvale: a member of the firm of Smith & Berry, merchants. Was proprietor of the firm until August 11, 1882, at which time he succeeded the firm, continuing the business in his own name until May 15, 1883. The firm of C. L. Berry & Co., proprietors of the Citizens' Bank of Cherryvale was organized May 15, 1883, James Y. Finley, of Osage Township, Labette Co., being associated with him the business. Mr. B. was married in Allen County, Kas., October 9, 1873, to Annie E. Lanter, a native of Union County, Ohio. They have three children - Vida E., Iva T. and Elsie C. Mr. Berry is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and First Presbyterian Church. When he came to Cherryvale there was no Presbyterian organization in the city, and to his personal efforts much credit is due for building up a vigorous church society, and securing the erection of a beautiful house of worship. Mr. B. is a self-made manin every sense of the word. Went with his brother-in-law, Mr. Kuhn, at the age of fifteen, to learn the blacksmith trade. Served his full term of apprenticeship out, leaving with the credit of being a first-class workman. Received but very little education until he was in his twentieth year, the schools of the South having been demoralized by the war.

C. W. BOOTH, proprietor livery and omnibus line, is a native of Randolph, Portage County, Ohio, born January 3, 1850. He lived there until the spring of 1861, when parents, with their family, removed to Berrien County, Mich. He removed from there to Kas., being one of the pioneer settlers of Cherry Township, Montgomery Co., locating on northeast quarter Section 15, where he resided until 1871, when he came to Cherryvale, working in hotels, and various occupations. In 1872 he engaged in the livery business, which be still continues. He has served several years as Constable, and is now serving third year as Deputy-Sheriff. He is a member of the A., F. &. A. M. He is yet engaged in agricultural pursuits on the farm where he first located. He was married at Cherryvale January 24, 1875, to Miss Addie Atherton, a native of Kankakee County, Ill. They have one son - Walter. Mr. B. is son of Gerry M. and Salomi (Hine) Booth, both natives of Connecticut, now a resident of Berrien Township, Berrien Co., Mich.

JOSEPH H. BUTLER, hardware merchant, was born near North English, Keokuk Co., Iowa, November, 1854, living there until September, 1868, when he came to Kansas with his parents, Thomas H. and Nancy Butler. They located at Osage Mission, Neosho Co., where he lived until November, 1882, when he came to Cherryvale, continuing in the hardware business here, having been engaged in the same trade at Osage Mission over two years prior to locating here. He was married at Osage Mission, August 4, 1879, to Katie G. Joyce, a native of New York. They have one child - Mary Edith. Mr. Butler's mother died in 1871, and his father now resides in Topeka, he being claim agent of the A., T. &. S. F. R. R. Co.

HON. O. F. CARSON, hardware merchant, was born at Wasburn, Woodford Co., Ill., August 29, 1844. He was engaged in the drug business at Minonk, Ill., at twenty years of age, and was afterward in the dry goods trade, remaining in Woodford County until 1869, when he came Kansas, locating in Centreville Township, Neosho County. A year later he went to Ladore, and in September, 1871, came to Cherryvale. He had been engaged in the drug business at Galesburg, Kan., and Ladore, and came here and continued the same until 1880, although he had been interested in hardware and agricultural business for several years prior to that date, being associated with his present partner, J. R. Baldwin, first in the implement trade, and later, adding a stock of hardware to their business. They are also largely interested in city and other real estate. Mr. Carson also owns a fine stock farm of 400 acres in Mound Valley Township, Labette County. He has on that place at the present time about fifty head of well bred cattle, and is gradually improving his herd. The hardware and implement trade of Carson & Baldwin amounted to over $40,000 in 1882. Mr. Carson is a prominent member of the Baptist Church, and of the A., F. & A. M., being a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Commandery, and Eastern Star, a branch of the Masonic order. When Mr. Carson located here there were no drug stores in the place, and for a period of three years he had the only store of the kind in Cherryvale; now there are four large drug establishments here. Mr. Carson was the first Notary Public at this point, and has continued to hold a notarial commission for the last twelve years. In 1876 he was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, and he is now serving his second term as Alderman of the city of Cherryvale. He was married at Ottawa, Kan., August 16, 1870, to Alice A. Newman; born October 23, 1851; a native of Morgan County, Ill. They have two children living - O. F. Carson. jr., born December 5, 1875; and Alice Eugene, born December 12, 1879. Lost one daughter, Ella Maud, who died September 25, 1873, aged 13 months and 5 days. Mr. Carson's grandfather, John Carson, was born August 15, 1798, and died March 1, 1839. Grandmother, Sally Carson was born June 4, 1795; she died December 3, 1874, Father, Isaac W. Carson was born April 20, 1810; still living. Mother, Mary B. [Sweet] Carson was born February 1, 1813; died in 1881.

R. S. CATES, loan agent, is a native of Fairbury, Livingston Co., Ill. Born July 26, 1848. When he was seventeen years of age he made a wagon trip with his parents from Illinois to Oregon, consuming five months making the journey. Attended school for a while after they located in Oregon, and was then on a farm with his father for a period of four years, when his father died. He then, in connection with his brothers, ran the farm until July, 1873, when he was elected to the office of Clerk of the Fifth Judicial District, and County Clerk of Union County, serving two terms - four years. After thirteen years' residence in Oregon he came to Kansas in July, 1878, locating on a claim in Kingman County, removing his family there in March of the ensuing year. Soon after going to that county he became the representative of the well known firm of S. L. Davidson & Co., of Wichita, making loans and attending to their business in that region of the State. In August, 1881, at their request the removed to Cherryvale, having had entire control of their extensive business in Eastern Kansas since locating here, the capitalists he represents reposing the utmost confidence in his judgment and integrity. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married at Carthage, Mo., December 7, 1870, to Amanda Virginia, daughter of Rev. Levi Hess. She was born in Rockingham County, Va. September 6, 1851. They have four children - Levi S., Ogle C., Robert L. and Elles E. Mr. Cates' father - Spencer Cates - was born in Hart County, KY., July 9, 1815, and died March 16, 1869, and was one of the pioneers of Livingston County, Ill. His mother - Phebe Cunningham Cates - was born in Clark County. Ind., December 4, 1813. She is now living with her son, John A., in Union County, Ore. Mr. Cates has four brothers and one sister, all residents of Oregon. Elles E. being editor and proprietor of the Mountain Sentinel published at Union.

E. B. CLARK, lumber and agricultural implements and grain, was born in Stephentown, Rensselear Co., N. Y., in 1838. When eight years of age his parents settled in Hinsdale, Berkshire Co., Mass., where he remained ten years, receiving his education at the Hinsdale Academy, under I. N. Lincoln. He then engaged in teaching in Clarkson, Monroe Co., N. Y.,then taught at Marshall, Mich.; he then emigrated to Illinois, and for two years was engaged in the mercantile business at Ashton, Lee County, emigrating to Montgomery County, Kan., in 1869, locating a claim near the present cite[sic] of Cherryvale. There were but two houses on the prairie, and Fort Scott, seventy miles distant, was the nearest railroad point. From the time of his settlement until 1875 he was engaged in farming and stock raising; after which he bought out the ordinary lumber business in Cherryvale, and also engaged in the grain trade to which he has since added farm implements, and has increased his business over 200 percent. Besides his large city business he is carrying on a large farm of 700 acres, 250 acres of which is under cultivation. The place is stocked with 500 sheep and fifty head of cattle; also owns ten tenement houses, and is one of the most enterprising men in the place. He has always taken an active part in all public enterprises which would benefit the town. He was Chairman of the Committee which interceded for the extension of the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad from Oswego to Wichita, and took an active part in procuring the right of way for the Ft. Scott & Gulf Railroad from Big Hill Creek to Cherryvale. He has served eight months as a member of the City Council and is at present acting as Mayor. He is also an active member of the Masonic Order, being initiated by Hampden Lodge of Springfield, Mass., where his mother now lives, owning a fine property on S. Main St.

C. A. CLOTFELTER, proprietor of livery stable and omnibus line, was born in Cape Girardeau County, Mo., September 23, 1843, came to Kansas in June 1855, with his mother. They located where Mound City, Linn County, is now situated. He lived there until 1866, when he went to Montana Territory, engaging in freighting between Fort Benton and Helena running two teams with light freight and passenger wagons between those points till April, 1871. He then returned to Kansas and located at Elk City, Montgomery County, remaining there till July of the same year, when he came to Cherryvale. He was engaged in the mercantile business here till January, 1873, when he engaged in his present business in partnership with C. W. Booth, who has been interested with him ever since. When they began business they only had seven horses, one top buggy and one open buggy, and one spring wagon. They now keep thirty-nine horses and about twenty carriages, omnibuses and other vehicles. They have no competition at this point. They have recently started a stable at Chautauqua Springs. Mr. C. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. He served four years as Deputy-Sheriff and also held the office of Constable. He was married in Osage Township, Labette Co., Kan., October 8, 1872, to Sarah J. Browning, a native of Vermillion Co., Ind. They have two children, Carlton and Carrie.

ALFRED DICUS, grain and lumber dealer, was born in Butler Co., Pa., near Emlington, June, 1853 lived in Geneseo, Ill., until late in 1855, afterwards in Lee County, Iowa, for three years, and in Callaway County, Mo., from that time until 1872, when he went to St. Louis, there attending Commercial College and learning the grain business. In October, 1876, he came to Kansas and located at Independence. Since coming to Kansas he has been identified with the grain business, and for the last year also in the lumber business, associated with his brother. He is a member of the K. of P.

F. P. DICUS, lumber and grain dealer, was born near Emlington, Venango Co., Pa., December 30, 1837. In 1854 he removed to Geneseo, Ill., and remained there about one year, then three years in Lee County, Iowa. His home was in Callaway County, Mo., from 1858 to 1870. He served for three years as a non-commissioned officer in Company C, Seventh Missouri Militia Cavalry, enlisting early in 1862 and serving until near the close of the war. In July, 1870, he located at Independence, Kan., and for a period of two years he worked at the plasterer's trade. He then engaged in the grain business, shipping the second car-load of grain from Independence Station. Remained in business there until the fall of 1880, when he came to Cherryvale and built an elevator here, adding lumber yards in May, 1882. His brother Alfred is associated with him as a partner in both branches of the business. They are deservedly popular, and, as a consequence, they do an extensive grain and lumber trade.

A. S. DULEY, editor of the Cherryvale Torch, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, July 19, 1838, and during the early part of his life, followed farming, and teaching for sometime. He entered the army August 27, 1861, and served three years. After his career as a soldier, he began teaching, and in 18??, became Superintendent of Rotch Institute, at Massilon, Ohio, an orphan school, which position he held until February 1, 1873. Coming to Kansas, in September, 1877, he located at Thayer, Neosho County, and was engaged in various pursuits, and was elected Mayor of that city in February, 1882. He began his career as a regular journalist, in October 1881, having served as newspaper correspondent for some years previously, and in September, 1882, assumed control of the Cherryvale Torch as editor. He was married to Lydia A. Conley, of Stark County, Ohio, May 20, 1860, who died February 6, 1875, and, on January 27, 1877, was again united by marriage to Emma Jones, a native of Kentucky. By the first marriage, three children were born, only one whom is now living and by the second wife he has three children, two girls and one boy.

O. H. P. FALL M. D., is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio; born September 10, 1832. He received literary education in the public schools, and at the Ohio Conference High School, at Springfield. In 1857, he graduated from the Medical Department of the University of New York; in 1856 he graduated from the Western Homeopathic College of Cleveland, Ohio, now known as the Hospital Medical College. He began practice at Lewisburg, Preble Co., Ohio, remaining there till January, 1861; when he removed to Sigourney, Keokuk Co., Iowa. Early in 1862 he was appointed by Governor Kirkwood to the position of Surgeon; his duties to look after sick and wounded soldiers in the army; he was afterwards contract Surgeon; being in Nashville Hospitals two years; being Executive officer of Hospital No. 14, and also served as ward surgeon; remaining in the service until he resigned in June 1865, after the close of the war. In July, 1865, he located at Cape Girardeau, Mo., where he was engaged in practice until he came to Ladore, Neosho County, in November, 1869. In 1871, he removed to Parsons remaining there till 1873, he then located at Xenia, Ohio, where he resided four years; afterwards in the city of Chicago for a period of eighteen months, removing from there to Cherryvale in November, 1877. He is health officer and has been member of the Board of Health since the city was incorporated. He has been president of the Montgomery County Medical Society. He is surgeon for the St. Louis & San Francisco R. R. Co. and also for the K. C. F. S. & G. R. R. Co., and also held the same position with the K. C. L. & S. prior to 1882. He is member of the A. O. U. W. The doctor was married at Sigourney, Iowa, December 16, 1864, to May Cautwell, a native of Mansfield, Ohio. They have two children - Hattie E., now Mrs. George M. Beerbower, and Janie C.

W. H. FRICKLETON, is a native of Wardsville, Canada West, born August 2, 1857; came to Fort Scott, Kan., in July, 1876; resided there eleven months, then at Osage Mission, until November, 1882, when he came to Cherryvale. He has been associated with Joseph H. Butler in hardware business over three years, having worked at tinner's trade ten years. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., K. of P. and A. O. U. W.

[TOC] [part 13] [part 11] [Cutler's History]