KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HANKINS - WOODSON).J. T. HANKINS, proprietor of livery stables, is a native of Bradley County, Tenn., born May 15, 1845. Served three years and four months in the Second Tennessee Cavalry, Company A. Located at Baxter Springs, Kansas, in 1869, afterwards at Chetopa; then in North-western Arkansas; then in Texas, employed in driving cattle from there to different shipping points in Kansas. August 11, 1875, he located at Coffeyville, and was engaged in the livery business here for one year and a half, then spent a year in Texas dealing in buffalo hides, etc.; returning to Coffeyville he again embarked in the livery business, now running two stables. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married in this city, August 18, 1878, to Mary Kloehr, a native of Germany.
HON JAMES M. HEDDENS, merchant, is a native of Logansport, Ind., born March 20, 1837, remaining there till 1855, then came to Kansas, locating on a claim near Burlington, Coffey County. In the summer of 1861 he recruited the principal part of Company E, Fifth Kansas Cavalry, and was made Second Lieutenant of the Company. In 1862 he was transferred to Company K, of the same Regiment, becoming First Lieutenant thereof, and commanded the company all of the time, as the Captain was on staff duty. Participated in seventeen battles. Immediately after the surrender of Gen. Lee, he resigned and returned to Coffey County, resuming his farming pursuits, speculating, etc. In August, 187?, he removed to Coffeyville (the old town) and engaged in grocery business. In 1872 he removed to the present site, conducting business under the firm name of Barron & Heddens seven years. They were, for a while, also engaged in mercantive business with J. J. Barndollar, at Osage Agency, Indian Territory. Mr. Heddens was at St. Louis in business for a short time, then returned to Coffeyville and continued merchandising without a partner for two years. In 1881 Mr. M. M. White became associated with him as a partner and they have since continued together. The Captain has served one term as a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, and has twice been Mayor of this city. He in[sic] a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of H. He was married at Baldwin City, Kansas, in December, 1866, to Sarah E. Davison, a native of Chillicothe, Ohio. They have two children - Katie Louise and Annie Isabelle. The firm of Heddens & White does a wholesale and retail business in groceries and dry goods, also buys produce, hides, etc.
CHARLES M. HETHERINGTON, grocer and farmer, was born near Wattsburg, Erie Co., Pa., November 18, 1837. Lived in that region until 1855, when he removed to Iowa. In the Spring of 1856 he went to Minnesota, and August 8, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Sixth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and served as a non-commissioned officer until September, 1865. Eighteen months of the time he was in the service was spent fighting the Sioux Indians. In April, 1870, he came to Kansas, locating at Parker, Montgomery Co., Kan., the first day of the ensuing month. He dealt in ponies with Indians quite extensively for a while. For a year he was in the grocery trade, removing then to Coffeyville; continuing in the same business here until 1881, afterwards, for two years handling Texas and Arkansas cattle. He then engaged in grocery business again, John W. Glass being associated with him as a partner. Early in 1883 he purchased a fine farm of 120 acres, which adjoins the city. He served several years as Alderman, one term as Mayor, and for the last six years as School Treasurer. He was married at Baldwin City, Kan., July 13, 1870, to Anna M. Barricklow, a native of Indiana. They have four children - Frank W., Loretta May, Cora B., and Roy.
S. B. HICKMAN, Postmaster, was born at Paducah, Ky., February 14, 1844. When he was only six months old his parents removed with their family to Switzerland County, Ind., and that was his home until 1865. He then removed to Ray County, Mo., where he resided until he came to Kansas in June, 1869, locating at the old town of Coffeyville, where he engaged in the grocery business. In 1871 he was appointed Postmaster, and when the office was removed to the present town site he was continued in office and has held it uninterruptedly to the present time. He is also engaged in the book and stationery business. He has served as a member of the School Board, etc. He was married at Rising Sun, Switzerland Co., Ind. March 4, 1868, to Alice T. Taylor, who was born at Louisville, Ky., but raised in Indiana. They have four children - George P., Harry L., Gertrude and Thomas S. Mr. H. is a Royal Arch Mason and is a member of the K. of H.
T. B. HOOPER, owner of "Cedar Bluff Farm," P. O. Coffeyville, was born in Sangamon County, Ills., March 28, 1842; was reared in Missouri. In 1869 came here and located. He married, in 1870, Miss Elizabeth Smith, of Missouri. They have four daughters - Viola, Ollie, Daisy, and an infant. During the war he did service in Company B, Fourteenth Kansas Calvary, from 1863 till end of war, was honorably discharged. Cedar Bluff farm aggregates 249 acres of land; is located upon the Verdigris River, which separates it in two divisions. Nice buildings are located upon it and has a good orchard.
JAMES M. HOUSEL, owner of Elmdale Farm, P. O. Coffeyville, was born in Northumberland County, Pa., January 24, 1834. In 1856 went to Henry County, Iowa, and followed farming there until the war, when he enlisted his services in Company D, Fourth Iowa Volunteer Calvary, September, 1861, and remained in the service until December, 1864, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he went to Shelby County, Mo., and in August, 1869, came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved. It contains 240 acres of choice land. Is located four miles northwest of Coffeyville; is well watered, stocked; has comfortable buildings, a nice orchard. He was married, in 1868, to Miss Annie E. Gooch. A lady of fair literary attainments, who was born and reared in Shelby County, Mo. They have a family of one son and two daughters - Blanche Y., Barron C. and Mabel E. He and his wife are members of the Episcopal Church.
H. H. ISHAM, banker, is a native of Avon Springs, Livingston Co., N. Y., born November 22, 1836. In 1868 he removed to South Haven, Mich., and carried on hardware business there till July, 1871, when he came to Coffeyville, Kas., there being but one shanty and a tent here at that time, groceries were kept in the former and a little stock of hardware in the latter. In October, 1871, Mr. Isham, with his brother, J. T. Isham, purchased the hardware stock and energetically prosecuted that business together until 1875, then H. H. I. went to Texas, his brother, however continuing in trade. After spending six months in Texas, Mr. Isham returned to Coffeyville, where he has since been loaning money. Engaged in banking early in 1883. He has served as Alderman of the city. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and K. of H. He was married at Lawrence, Mich., in February, 1863, to Annette A. Clark, a native of that place. They have one daughter - Frankie A.
JOHN T. ISHAM, hardware merchant, was born at South Avon, Livingston Co., N. Y., January 9, 1839, removing to South Haven, Mich., in 1868, came from there to Coffeyville, Kas., in October, 1871, since which time he has been constantly in hardware trade. For several years his brother, H. H. Isham, was associated with him as a partner. Mr. Isham estimates that his business now is at least four times as great as it was during the first few years of their trade. He handles heavy and light hardware, stoves, tinware, etc., also deals extensively in agricultural implements, wagons and carriages. He is a member of the K. of H., and has served the city as Alderman. He was married at Tecumseh, Mich., in November, 1872, to Augusta B. Walters, a native of that place. They have three children - Alice May, Henry Walters and Gussie B.
JOSEPH R. JONES, owner of Oakland Grain and Stock Farm., Coffeyville, P.O., was born in Hamilton County, Ind., October 6, 1839, and was reared and educated in Champaign County, Ill. In 1873 he came here, and has been actively identified with farming industry here since. He married, in 1880, Miss Emma May Davis, who was born in Boone County, Ky., and reared and educated in Coffeyville. He and his wife are members of the Episcopal Church. Oakland Farm contains 243 acres of valuable land, is located one and a half miles west of Coffeyville, upon Sycamore Creek, is well stocked; he makes a specialty of rearing and breeding Durham cattle and Berkshire, Poland-China hogs; handsome dwelling and outbuildings are located upon it; has an orchard of well assorted variety of fruits.
Dr. L.L. LANDON, dentist and physician, was born near Westerville, Franklin Co., Ohio, April 12, 1838; came to St. Joseph, Mo., in 1852, his parents removing there with their family at that time. In that year he visited the country, which afterward became the Territory of Kansas, and spent the winter of 1855-86 in Doniphan County, Kan. He attended lectures at McDowell's Medical College in 1860, and the same year he began the study dentistry. During the war he served awhile as assistant surgeon and in other capacities. He was engaged in the practice of dentistry three years in the city of St. Louis, several years in St. Joseph, Mo., and Brownville, Neb., later in Indiana, coming from the latter State to Coffeyville, in February, 1881, where he has since followed the practice of medicine and dentistry. He is one of the Aldermen of the city. He was married at Lebanon, Ind., in June, 1867, to Amanda J. Davis, a native of Hendricks County, Ind. They have one child - Arl R. The doctor's father G. W. H. Landon, was associated with Joseph Thompson and Dr. Grant in the publication of the first Free-soil newspaper, which was issued at St. Joseph, Mo.
JOHN S. LANG furniture dealer and undertaker, was born near Pittsburgh, Pa., July 1, 1847. When about twelve years of age his home was at Franklin, Venango County, for a year. Then at Oil City most of the time until he came to Kansas to reside permanently in October, 1869, locating at Parker at that time. He had been in the State twice prior to that time, first trading at Osage Indian agency, at Big Hill Town, in 1864, from April until August, then for five months in the northern part of the State. In 1867 he again returned to Kansas and spent about three months here purchasing ponies. After locating at Parker in 1869, he was engaged in grocery business and for a year or two dealt in agricultural implements. In 1874 he came to Coffeyville, engaging in general merchandising here, which he continued about four years, since then in his present business. He carries a fine stock of furniture, and is provided with a large supply of undertakers' goods of all grades. He also keep[sic] the best hearse in southern Kansas. He has served as Alderman and for the last five years has held the office of Town Clerk. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and K. of P. He was married at Parker, Kan., July 2, 1872, to Frances Anna Noel, a native of Leavenworth, Kan. They have two children - William Henry and Clarence Addison. Lost two children in infancy.
W. T. LONG, miller, State Line Flouring Mills, was born near Fayetteville, Brown Co., Ohio, January 1, 1843; lived in Indiana after he was sixteen years of age. September 19, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Tenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving until October, 1864. He then returned to Indiana, where he remained until 1872, when he removed to Mount Pulaski, Logan Co., Ill.; there one year. In 1873, he located at Warsaw, Hancock Co., Ill., and in 1874 he returned to Indiana, remaining there until 1879, when he came to Kansas, locating here May 7, of that year. He has been engaged in the milling business since 1864. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of H. Mr. Long was married at Zionsville, Ind., January 27, 1870, to Amanda J. Miller, a native of Boone County, Ind. They have two children living - Roscoe Kirby and William Clyde. They lost one daughter, who died in infancy.
JOSEPH McCREARY, real estate, loan and collection agent, was born in Xenia, Greene Co. Ohio, March 2, 1842. In April, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company D, Twelfth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving in that regiment till July, 1864, when he was then appointed to First Lieutenant of Company K, One Hundred and Eighty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, having assisted in recruiting the company. He was mustered out September 26, 1865; he went out with the first company which left Greene County and came back with the one which was last mustered out. He was taken prisoner at East River Mountain, W. Va. in May, 1862, being imprisoned four months at Libby, Salisbury and Belle Isle, most of the time. He was in all the engagements of his command, except during the period that he was a prisoner. In October, 1865, he located at Lawrence, Kan., remaining there until July, 1866, then removed to Junction City where he followed the business of contractor and builder till the spring of 1868, when he engaged in saw mill business near Chetopa; there one year, removing the mill in 1869 to the mouth of Pumpkin Creek, just east of the present town site of Coffeyville. In 1872 he disposed of his mill and followed farming in Howard Township, Labette County, nearly four years. After spending a year in New Mexico he located at Coffeyville in the spring of 1877. In the fall of the same year he was elected Justice of the Peace and Police Judge, serving about four years in those offices. In the fall of 1877 he embarked in the real estate business and has continued in it ever since. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., K. of P., K. of H. and G. A. R. Mr. McCreary has gained the confidence and favor of those with whom he has had business transactions. The faithful manner in which his business is conducted has placed him in the foremost rank of real estate and loan agents of the State. He was married in Cherokee County, Kan., November 20, 1869, to Theresa Burns, a native of Canada. They have four children living - Ida M., Irena Anna, Ira Edward and Joseph S. They lost a son, Leonidas, who died in infancy.
HON. M. McENIRY, proprietor of the Eldridge House, is a native of Limerick, Ireland, born September 29, 1845. He was educated at the National School, Bruff, County Limerick. Came to America in April, 1863, locating in the city of New York, where he was engaged in mercantile pursuits, as a salesman until 1870, when he went to Memphis, Tenn., to open the Southern Palace, a dry goods emporium, which was owned by D. C. & H. M. Lowenstine. He continued with them until January 1, 1871, then started for the West, making a claim, the same month, in Drum Creek Township, Montgomery Co., Kan. In June, 1871, in consequence of a contest in regard to his claim he went to Humboldt, Allen County, where the land office was located, and began the study of law with Thurston & Cates, giving special attention to the laws affecting land cases. In December, 1871, the land office was removed to Neodesha, and Mr. McEniry changed his location to that place, coming with that office to Independence in March, 1872. He succeeded in securing his rights in the case which originally actuated him to pursue law studies, and at Neodesha he attended to the land cases of the law firm of Thurston & Cates, of Humboldt. In 1874 he was admitted to the bar and about a year later he was elected Justice of the Peace at Independence, serving in that position seven years, and also as Police Judge of the same city, for a period of five years, and did an extensive practice, almost exclusively employed in land contests prior to locating at Coffeyville in February, 1883. He purchased the Eldridge House property in this city September 30, 1882, taking possession of the hotel January 1, 1883, removing here during the ensuing month. The hotel is a large and commodious one, with accommodations for eighty guests. He owns the entire block (44), in which it is situated, except one lot, which the owner has not been induced to part with. The Judge is a genial and accomplished host, always endeavoring to promote the guest's comfort; nature having endowed him with an animated and cheerful disposition, he enlivens those who come in contact with him. The Judge was married at Independence, July 6, 1882, to Lizzie Mary Oswin Bell, a native of Laclede, Linn County, Mo., only daughter of Francis M. and Lizzie (Dick) Bell. Her father died June 1, 1873, at Cedarvale, Chautauqua Co., Kan. During the War of the Rebellion he recruited and commanded Company F, Ninth Missouri Volunteer Infantry doing gallant service during the war. He was a great grandson of Sir Robert Bruce. His widow is associated with her son-in-law, Judge McEniry, in the hotel business.
ANDREW MONTGOMERY, proprietor of flouring mills, farmer, stock raiser and dealer, was born in County Fermaugh, Ireland, May 22, 1842. Came to America in 1857, located at Cincinnati four years; afterward engaged in farming in Franklin County, Ohio, till he came to Kansas. He enlisted in September, 1863, in Company H, Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry and served six months. Mr. Montgomery's mill is located on southeast quarter of Section 25, and his residence is on Section 36, Township 34, south Range 16, east. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. He was married, at Cincinnati, Ohio, October 28, 1873, to Anna B. Johnston, a native of that city. They have two children living - Maggie and James W. They have lost one son - Willie - who died at the age of seven.
C.W. MUNN, hardware merchant, was born near Covington, Fountain Co., Ind., October 30, 1840. When he was an infant his parents returned with their family to New York City, remaining there a short time, then they removed to Bordentown, N. J., where he lived until he was seventeen years of age, then returned to Indiana. In May, 1861, he entered the Quartmaster's Department, United States Army, and in 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry, continuing in the service until July 31, 1865; two years commanding the escort to Gen. Horace Capron. He was in all engagements of his command; was captured twice, but escaped both times. After leaving the army he engaged in mercantile business at LaGrange, Ga., continuing in trade there till the spring of 1867, then went to Fort Gibson, remaining there until 1869, when he came to Chetopa, Kan., a short time there, then removed to Sumner County, and in the fall of 1870, he returned to Chetopa, having been burned out in Sumner County by the Osage Indians. He carried on the hardware business at Chetopa till July, 1871, then came to the old town of Coffeyville in April, 1872, removing from there to Parker, and in July of the same year coming to present location. He has been in the hardware business in all these various places. He is a member of the K. of H. and G. A. R. He was married, at Carthage, Mo., November 9, 1876, to Elizabeth Frost, a native of Berry County, Mo. Mr. Munn has been Mayor and City Treasurer, and has also served as Township Treasurer and Clerk.
F. W. NOBLETTS, M. D., is a native of Paoli, Orange Co., Ind., born February 26, 1824; at the age of eighteen years, he began the study of medicine in his native town, Dr. Lee Hazelwood being his preceptor. Educated at Louisville Medical College. Began practice at Bryantville, Lawrence Co., Ind.; there two years; afterward at Trinity Springs, Martin Co., Ind., till he came to Kansas, except during the period that he served in the Mexican War in 1846-47, and in the army during the War of the Rebellion. July 6, 1861, he entered the army as Captain of Company F, Twenty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry. After three years service he was appointed Assistant Adjutant General of the Second Brigade, First Division Nineteenth Army Corps, and served in that position until June 24, 1865. He was taken prisoner at Brazos City June 23, 1863, and was not released until July 25, 1864; being imprisoned at Tyler, Texas, over a year. One year of his term of service he was in the First Heavy Artillery. In April, 1873, the doctor removed from Indiana to Labette County, Kan., and for six years was a resident of Howard Township, then removed to Coffeyville, served as Justice of the Peace in Howard Township until he came to this city. He is a member of the A., F, & A. M., and is a Notary Public. He was married at Dover Hill, Martin Co., Ind., July 8, 1852, to Sarah M. Rodgers, a native of that county. They have eight children living - Louis A., Lillian, Sarah M., George R, Mollie, Ransom, Harry and Frances. Lost four children, three died in infancy, and one son, James, died at the age of twenty-two years.
A. M. PEAVEY, salesman, with J. T. Isham, dealer in hardware and farm machinery was born in the town of Dorchester, Mass., May 27, 1846, living there only one year, however, then, until ten years of age lived near Albany, N. Y.; afterward at Lawrence, Mass., where he received his principal education. He learned the printer's trade in Boston, that being his home for three years prior to locating in Kansas. In the fall of 1876 he settled on the northwest quarter of Section 14, Canada Township, Labette Co., Kansas., having been two months at Coffeyville before engaging in farming pursuits. He remained on his farm until October, 1880. Since then he has been in the employ of J. T. Isham, in the capacity of salesman. His parents, George W. and Abiah D. Peavey, came to Kansas in the spring of 1877. His mother died October 28, 1877; father is now a resident of Brooklyn, N. Y.
W. A. PEFFER, editor in chief of the Coffeyville Journal, was born in Cumberland County, Pa, September 10, 1831, and was reared on a farm. In 1862 he entered the army, in the Eighty-third Illinois Regiment, serving three years, and was promoted, during that time, from a private to Second Lieutenant, and then to Department Quartermaster at Nashville, Tenn. After leaving the army, he began the practice of law at Clarksville, Tenn., and, in 1870, came to Kansas, locating at Fredonia, Wilson County, at which place he resumed the practice of law, at which he continued until 1875, when he removed to Coffeyville, and started the Coffeyville Journal, and also practiced law. In 1874 he was elected State Senator for Wilson and Montgomery counties, and, in 1876, was chosen one of the Presidential Electors for the State of Kansas. On November 1, 1881, he began editing the Kansas Farmer, a paper printed at Topeka, Kan., in which he is now engaged. Prior to this date, he worked, as editor, upon the Topeka Capital, for about six months. On December 28, 1852, he married Sarah J. Barber, to whom was born a family of ten children, eight of whom are now living.
G. F. POWERS was born in Alden, Erie Co., N. Y., June 11, 1842, living in Michigan from 1851 to 1865, then in California till he located in Doniphan County, Kan., in August, 1867, remaining there till the spring of 1871; then engaged in the cattle business in the Cherokee Nation, continuing there for a period of five years; afterward in Caney Township for six years, and since the spring of 1881, he has resided at Coffeyville. He was one year in the livery business here. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and K. of P. He was married in Caney, Kan., September 26, 1880, to Josephine G. Foot, a native of Illinois. They have two children, Annie Maud and an infant son, not yet named.
C. L. POWERS, homeopathic physician and surgeon, is a native of Alden, Erie Co., N. Y.; removed to Michigan in 1851; came to Kansas, April 10, 1857, locating in Brown County the same month, and was engaged in farming there for several years. He received his medical education at Lansing, Mich., and at the Habuemann Medical College of Chicago. The doctor first came to Coffeyville in 1871, purchased land in Montgomery County at that time, but did not locate at Coffeyville until 1879. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F. He was married at Highland, Kan., in November, 1862, to Anna Hancock, a native of Kentucky. She died January 1, 1882, leaving six children - Nellie S., George McClellan, Francie C., Edith May, Carrie, and a daughter not yet named, although four years of age.
REV. JOHN M. RANKIN, Rector of St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Coffeyville, was born near Cadiz, in Harrison Co., Ohio, January 24, 1829. He was educated at Franklin College, New Athens, Ohio. Taught school two years in Ohio, then eight years in Illinois, first at Vermont and later at Lewiston; at the latter place he edited the Public Register. In October, 1857, he located at Emporia, Kan., engaged in practice there for a period of over four years. He was a member of the State Senate in 1862. In the fall of that year he removed to Ottumwa, Coffey County, taking charge of the Western Christian University, continuing at the head of that institution until 1867. He then located at Burlington, in the same county, and resumed the practice of law, served two years as Probate Judge of Coffey County, and four years as Superintendent of Public Instruction. In 1876 he became pastor of the First Christian Church at Little Rock, Ark., it being the oldest church in that city; remained there until September, 1878, then returned to Burlington, where he resided until April, 1883, when he came to Coffeyville to assume the duties of his present position. He has studied theology for over thirty years, but gave it special attention after becoming connected with the Western Christian University. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Mr. Rankin was married at Astoria, Fulton Co., Ill., December 10, 1860, to Catherine A. Galliher, a native of Rushville, Ind. They have four children - Alice C., now Mrs. C. O. Brown, of Burlington, Kan; Mary V., Josie S., now Mrs. Thomas J. Widby, of Burlington, and Minnie C. They lost a daughter, Katie, who died at the age of twenty-two months.
H. W. READ, merchant, is a native of Metropolis, Ill., born April 22, 1850, living there until he came to Kansas in June, 1867. His first location in the State was in September, 1871; then he and his brother, W. T. Read, engaged in mercantile business at the old town of Coffeyville, remaining there until February, 1872; then came to the present town site, and they have continued their business here since that time, doing a wholesale and retail trade. They have a cattle ranch in the Indian Territory, upon which they now have about 850 head of cattle. They have been engaged in the cattle business for the last three years. Mr. R. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and K. of H. He has been Alderman. He was married in this city, March 19, 1876, to Mattie Wooley, a native of Pittsburgh, Pa. They have three children - William F., Addie L., and Hazard W., jr.
JOSEPH F. SAVAGE, farmer, Section 13, Township 34, Range 16, P.O. Coffeyville, is a native of Monticello, Wayne Co., Ky., born February 2, 1844; removed to St. Clair Co. Mo., in 1856. February 14, 1862, he enlisted in Company L, Eighth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, serving until October 7, 1865, when he mustered out at St. Louis. After leaving the army he lived in the counties of Saline, Carroll and Cedar, all in Missouri, until January, 1863, when he located on Section 19, Township 34, Range 17 (what is now known as the Ergenbright farm). Later he purchased his present farm. Since coming here he has given his entire attention to his agricultural and stock interests. In 1868 he paid as high as $16 a hundred pounds for flour, $5 a bushel for potatoes, $3 a bushel for corn, and 60 cents a pound for bacon, prices in those early days being regulated largely by the condition of the roads, everything having to be hauled by wagons; there being no bridges in this region, it was frequently the case that freighters were unable to ford the streams when they were swollen by heavy rains. At such times everything was extremely high. Mr. S. is a member of the Baptist Church, A., F. & A. M. and G. A. R. He was married at St. Clair, Mo., July 26, 1859, to Matilda Fain. She died August 10, 1870, leaving two children - Isaac W. and Abraham F. His present wife was Mary J. Robinson, a native of Pike Co., Mo., married December 23, 1873, in Cedar County, Mo.
THOMAS SCURR, JR., cashier of Thomas G. Ayres & Co.'s bank, insurance agent, came to Humboldt, Kan., in March, 1869, afterwards residing at various places in the State, until January, 1872, when he came to Coffeyville. Since coming here he has been identified with banking, real estate and insurance business. Since May, 1880, he has been cashier of the institution with which he is now connected. He has held various city offices, such as member of the School Board, City Clerk and City Treasurer. He was married in this place, November 9, 1876, to Jennie B. Eldridge, a native of Lawrence, Kan. They have two children - Orville E., and Eva E. Mr. S. is a member of A., F. & A. M., being a Knight Templar, also connected with the K of P.
GEORGE SLOSSON, druggist, is a native of Franklin County, N. Y., born November 20, 1838. He removed from St. Lawrence County N. Y., to Lawrence, Kan., April 1, 1867. Engaged in the drug business at Lawrence till the spring of 1872, when he located at Coffeyville, he being the pioneer druggist of this place. In 1880, he erected the first brick business building which was built in this city. Although giving his attention strictly to his mercantile interests, he is an extensive owner of real estate, having recently purchased all the Railway Company's lots in Coffeyville. He is a charter member of both the K. of H. and K. of P. He has served several years as Alderman, and has always been prominently identified with the educational and material interests of the city. He was married at Lawrence, Kan., June 23, 1874, to Minnie F. Hatch, a native of New York, but reared from childhood at Princeton, Ill.
SAMUEL STEEL, druggist, is a native of Kentucky, but was reared from infancy in Indiana, where Indianapolis is now located, until he was ten years of age, then in Canton, Fulton Co., Ill., also seven years in McDonough County, Ill., and at Cambridge, Henry County, twelve years, coming from the latter place to Coffeyville in the spring of 1880, from that date until January, 1883, he was engaged in banking, in partnership with Thomas G. Ayres, also considerably interested in the cattle business. Having sold to Mr. Ayres his interest in the bank, he embarked in the drug trade, in March, 1883, being a thorough druggist, having devoted over two years to the study of pharmacy, after which he followed the business for several years in Illinois. He also continues to give personal attention to his cattle interests. Mr. S. is in every sense a public spirited and enterprising citizen.
W. S. UPHAM merchant, was born in the Cherokee Nation, April 13, 1845, his father, Rev. Willard P. Upham, coming among those Indians as a missionary in 1841. W. S. Upham went to San Francisco in December, 1865, and was engaged in the mercantile business there for seven years. He had spent one year in Boston, and one year at school in Vermont prior to going to California. He was married in San Francisco, May 15, 1873, to Emma A. Morgan, a native of Cleveland, Ohio. They have three children - Willard M., Maggie May, and George Newhall, the latter was named for his uncle, George Newhall, a prominent wholesale merchant of San Francisco. Mr. Upham is a member of the First Baptist Church, of San Francisco. He came to Coffeyville in the spring of 1873, where he has built up a large business, in addition to merchandising, dealing in grain, hides, furs, etc.
FRANCIS H. VENNUM, farmer and stock dealer, Section 7, P. O. Coffeyville, was born near Athens, Ohio , February 20, 1839. From 1841 to 1861 he lived in Iroquois County, Ill. In June of the latter year he was mustered into the United States service, having enlisted several months before that date in Company F, Twenty-Fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the battles of Pea Ridge, Stone River, Perryville, Chickamauga and other minor engagements. After three years' and four months' service he was mustered out. Returning to Iroquois County, Ill., he remained there till the fall of 1869, when he came to Fort Scott, Kas., living there until February, 1870, when he located at Parker and engaged in livery business, in which he continued until February, 1872. He then began buying stock, and since that time he has been extensively engaged in the same business. He shipped the first car load of hogs from Coffeyville after the railroad was completed. He was one of the first settlers of Parker, and was the first Mayor of that city. After the town was abandoned he located his present farm on the town site, having now one of the best improved places in Montgomery. He has been identified with the educational interests of the township, and belongs to the progressive and energetic class of men necessary to every successful community. He is a member of the I. O O F., K of P. and K. of H. He was married at Independence, Iowa, in March, 1865, to Harriet S. Smith, a native of Michigan. They have two children living - Eliza Jane and Robert J. Lost one son - Albert J., who died when a little over two years of age.
DANIEL WELLS, merchant, was born in Prince George's County, Md., August 26, 1848, removing from there to Leavenworth, Kas., in the spring of 1869. He was employed as traveling salesman for a wholesale grocery house of that city till 1870. He then came to Parker, Montgomery County, and embarked in mercantile business in partnership with his brother, Robert L. Wells. They continued trade there till 1873, when they removed to Coffeyville, where they have built up an immense wholesale and retail business in general merchandise, also dealing largely in cattle, horses, ponies, wool, hides, furs, etc. The first year they were in trade their business amounted to about $50,000. In 1882 their dealings aggregated $565,000, distributed as follows: Sales of merchandise, $125,000; cattle, $240,000; wool, hides, furs and pelts, $120,000; horses, ponies, etc., $80,000. Mr. Wells has served as Mayor two terms. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married at Kansas, City, Mo., in December, 1877, to Jennie G. Ide, a native of New Hampshire.
ROBERT L. WELLS, merchant, is a native of Prince George's County, Md., born February 12, 1846, residing in his native county until he became to Kansas. In 1870 he came to Parker, Montgomery County. Was in the mercantile business there in partnership with his brother, Daniel, till 1873, when they located at Coffeyville. They have continued together here, having created a trade which is the wonder of those who realize the magnitude of it. In connection with a sketch of his brother the extent of their business is stated. Mr. Wells has served as Alderman. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., K. of P., K. of H., and Knights of the Golden Rule. He was married in this city, March 4, 1878, to Laura A. Wann, a native of Indianapolis, Ind.
WALTER H. WELLS, M. D., was born at Bladensburg, Md. (four miles from Washington, D. C.), September 10, 1843. He was educated at the Bladensburg Academy, and University of Georgetown, graduating from the medical department of the latter institution. He began practice at Washington, D. C. remaining there until November, 1871, when he located at Parker, Montgomery Co., Kan. In the fall of 1873 he came to Coffeyville. He is a member of the A., F & A. M. and Montgomery County Medical Society. He was married at Washington, D. C., June 18, 1868, to Margaret More Sheriff, a native of the city of Washington. They have two children, Charles A. and Elizabeth.
HON. DANIEL WOODSON, ex-Secretary of the Territory of Kansas, was born in Albemarie County, Va., May 13, 1824. Came to Kansas in October, 1854, having received the appointment of Secretary of the Territory. Prior to coming here he had been editor of the Lynchburg Republican, and in 1851, he edited the Republican Advocate at Richmond, Va. He served as Secretary of Kansas Territory until 1857, when he was removed by President Buchanan, by reason of a vacancy in the Governor's office, he served a few months as Governor. In 1858 he was appointed Receiver of Public Moneys, having his office in Leavenworth County. After four years in that office he resigned and turned his attention to farming in Kickapoo Township. Prior to that time he had been located at Kickapoo Village. Remained on his farm till 1870, then removed to Montgomery County, living for a while at Parker, then locating at Coffeyville. Since coming to this county he has not been engaged in any active business. He was married at Lynchburg, Va., in October, 1847, to Mrs. America F. Palmer (nee Christian), a native of Campbell County, Va. They have three children living, Warren, now a resident of Kickapoo Township, Leavenworth County, Kan.; Bettie, now Mrs. T. K. Foster, of the city of Leavenworth, and Mosby, a grocery merchant of Coffeyville. He was born in Kansas and named for an uncle of his father. The two eldest children were born at Lynchburg, Va. Mrs. Woodson has one son by her first marriage Robert E. Palmer, now a resident of Leadville, Col.