|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This is a little village of about 250 inhabitants, situated on the Marion & McPherson railroad, in the eastern part of the county. It has a bank, postoffice, two hotels, several prosperous general stores, two hardware stores, a good district school and two small religious organizations, etc. The bank is a branch of Williams & Cottingham's bank of McPherson, the local proprietors being Fletcher & Gray. Deposits $19,000; cash capital $20,000. Dr. Wm. H. George built the first structure upon the town site - a dwelling house - in June, 1879. He also erected the second building and opened the first store during the same summer.
Canton was first settled in the fall of 1879, and for so young a village it has a fine graded school. The building (of fine cut stone) was erected in the fall of 1882, at a cost of $3,000.
The M. E. Church of Canton was organized in 1879; present membership, 42. The pastor is Rev. P. O. Wesley, a native of Pulaski County, Ky. The church building was erected in 1881, at a cost of $2,100.
A post-office was established at Canton in the fall of 1879.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - CANTON TOWNSHIP.
B. F. DOLE, farmer and stock-raiser (follows the latter business as a specialty), P. O. Canton, Section 12. He has 600 acres of land, one-half of which is under cultivation. In 1882, he raised 1,500 bushels of wheat. He came to this place in July, 1870, in Marion County, and followed stock raising a year, thence to Spring Valley Township, and followed the same business for some time, thence to his present place. He has 120 cattle, 300 sheep and 100 hogs. He began the stock business in 1870, with only $25. He was born in Edgar County, Ill., May 8, 1851, and is self-made, has followed various occupations. He lived in Terre Haute, Ind., five years and attended school, just previous to coming to Kansas. Married in May, 1876, to Miss Cynthia A. Bacon of Edgar County, Ill. They have two children, Charlie and Emma. He is a member of the Masonic Order of Canton.
M. L. DRAKE, proprietor of Commercial Hotel. This hotel was erected in June, 1880, my Mr. D. at a cost of $2,500. The main building 20X50 feet, two stories high and a wing 14X26 feet. Capacity is fifteen guests. He came to McPherson County, Kan., 1876, farmed three years, then went into the stock business several years, then the hotel business. He was born in McKean County, Pa., January 20, 1837. Was raised a farmer. Has lived in Ohio, went to Boone County, Ill., when quite young and made that his home until twenty-two years old. He then went to Omro, Winnebago Co., Wis. and engaged in lumber business some time. Enlisted July 24, 1861, in Company C, Fourteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, participated in all battles of his command, and mustered out as First Lieutenant of his company, October 24, 1865. Thence to Winnebago County, Ill., where he farmed and kept hotel until he came to Kansas. Married in 1874, to Miss Kate Champlin of the latter county. They have three children, Leo J., Charlie E. and Ralph L. He is a member of Canton Post, No. 84, G. A. R.
P. H. ELWELL, dealer in general merchandise. He opened business first at Halsted, Kan., July, 1878, opened trade in Canton, seven months later. Erected his store in 1880, size of which is, 20X72, inside, one story high. Employs three men in the business and carries a general stock of $6,000 to $8,000. He came to LaCygne, Kan., in 1869, and worked at the carpenter's trade, hotel business, etc. Was born in Springfield, Mass., June 16, 1832. Learned carpenter's trade when quite young. Enlisted in Company C, One Hundreth (sic) and Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, August 9, 1862, and served two years, participated in battles of Richmond, Ky., and Lexington. Was discharged out of the hospital in Chicago, Ill., in 1864. Was married in 1854, to Miss Martha Owens of Indiana, Pa. He is a member of the Masonic Order and Canton Post, No. 84.
M. T. FLETCHER, banker, firm of Fletcher & Gray. The Bank of Canton was organized and opened for business, August 1, 1881. It is a branch of McPherson Bank, deposits equal $19,000, cash capital $20,000. They do a regular banking business, eastern correspondents are Chase National Bank of New York City, and Merchants National, Kansas City, Mo. Mr. M. T. Fletcher first came to Kansas in February, 1881, locating in McPherson, he engaged in the stock business, soon after moved to Canton, engaged in same business. He has a sheep ranch in Marion County, where he keeps 1,600 head of sheep, and owns 1,000 acres of fine land in McPherson County, under firm name of Fletcher & Gray. They raised 2,500 bushels of wheat, in 1882, averaging twenty-five bushels to the acre. They also deal largely in cattle and hogs. Mr. Fletcher was born in DeWitt County, Ill., June 4, 1845, and educated in State Normal School, at Bloomington, Ill., also in Adrian Wesleyan University of Michigan. Was married December 20, 1870, to Miss Charity Chapin, of DeWitt County, Ill. They have three children, Laura M., Estella E. and George M. He is Mayor of Canton City.
DR. W. H. GEORGE, physician and surgeon, came to Canton Township, and settled on a farm in June, 1873. He followed the practice of medicine and farming until he removed to McPherson, in 1877, and practiced a year, then to Empire in practice a year, and finally located permanently in Canton, where he has since practiced his profession. He erected the first two buildings in Canton Village. The first was a residence, built June 7, 1879, and the other was a store building, built about the same time. He, therefore, kept the first drug store, and followed the drug business until the fall of 1882. He was born in Hillsdale County, Mich., September 27, 1845. Was educated in the common schools of Michigan and Chelsea Academy, Vt.; began the study of medicine in the summer of 1865; graduated from Ann Arbor Medical University of Michigan, March 31, 1869; began the practice of medicine at Carson City, Mich; has been Acting-Assistant Surgeon of the regular army for one year, and has since practiced in various other places. Was married in April, 1869, to Miss Elizabeth Parker, of Hillsdale County, Mich. They had one daughter - Elizabeth A. His wife died in March, 1870; was again married, in October, 1873, to Miss Julia F. Oldfield, of Canton, Kan. They have three children - Bertha E., Clare M. and William H. He has served as Township Trustee, Canton Township, some time, County Coroner of McPherson County, and was first Mayor of Canton, and a member of City Council, Canton.
W. J. KEYTE, dealer in general merchandise, stoves, hardware, tinware, etc. He opened trade in September, 1879; erected the store building in the fall of the same year, size of which is 24X50 feet, Masonic Hall on second floor, cost $1,500. He carries a general stock of $6,000, and employs two men in the business. He came to Castle Township, McPherson County, in the fall of 1873, and farmed three years; then was in hardware business in McPherson until he came to the present place. He was born in England, June 19, 1846, and was raised a farmer; came to American in 1854, locating in Bond County, Ill., on a farm, where he lived with his parents; enlisted in the one hundred day service in 1864, Company F, One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; participated in all the actions of his command; was mustered out in October, 1864. He then went to Missouri, and farmed until he came to Kansas; was married, in 1865, to Miss Ellen L. Smith, of Madison County, Ill., but who was raised in Bond County, Kan. He is master of Canton Lodge, N o. 197, A. F. & A. M., McPherson Chapter, No. 48, and Commandery, No. 18, Knights Templar, and Canton Post, No. 84, G. A. R.
W. B. KILE, dealer in grain, coal and livestock, etc. He came to Canton, and engaged in the above business in August, 1879. From July until December 15, 1882, he bought and shipped 150 car loads of grain. He first came to Kansas March 29, 1872, to the southeast part of McPherson County, and farmed until he opened the above business. He was born in Chillicothe, Ross Co., Ohio, April 27, 1851, and raised in his native place. He has lived in many of the Western States; was married, in 1878, to Miss Anna Smith, of London, England. They have three children - Ethel, Ida and George. He is a member of the Masonic Order and Knights of Honor. He was the first Town Treasurer of Meridian Township. He is now a member of the School Board, and Township Clerk of Canton.
WILLIAM J. LLOYD, dealer in all kinds of grain, coal and live stock. He opened the business in 1880. From July until December 15, 1882, he bought and shipped 120 car loads of grain. He first came to Kansas in the fall of 1869, and located on a farm in northwest part of McPherson County, and followed agricultural pursuits until he began the above business. He was born on Tippecanoe battle field, Tippecanoe Co., Ind., in 1853; parents, with family, moved to Iowa in 1857, and located on a farm in Blackhawk County, where he was raised until quite a lad, thence to Floyd County, Iowa, and lived until he came to Kansas. He is a member of the Masonic Order of McPherson.
R. F. McALISTER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Canton, Section 21. The town site of Canton is on same section, and joins his farm on the south. He first came to Canton Township in the fall of 1873 and located on his present place, and laid off the Canton town site in June, 1879. He first located at Lincoln Village, Marion Co., Kan., in the fall of 1877, and laid off Lincoln town site, which now contains one-half dozen houses. He has been Town Treasurer, Canton Township, a year, and Town Clerk two years, and is now a member of School Board. He was born in Page County, Shenandoah Valley, Va., in 1843; went to Menard County, Ill., in 1855, with parents, where he was raised and lived until he came to Kansas; married, in 1868, to Miss Flora H. Hutchinson, of Green County, Ky. They have six children - Martha E., Guarda, James A., Luther M., Thomas O. and Paul F. He is a member of Free Will Baptist Church and Masonic Order of Canton.
WILLIAM H. MORRIS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Canton, Section 22. He located on his place June 1, 1873. There were only three settlers in the township when he first came. Newton was his nearest market, thirty miles southward; Empire Postoffice was the nearest, nine miles off; his nearest grist-mill was Newton. He now owns the northwest quarter of Section 22. He laid off thirty acres into village lots in Canton. He was born in Orange County, Ind., July 4, 1825, and raised in Washington County, Ind., on a farm. He has followed blacksmithing ten years of his life; moved to Missouri in 1852 and farmed a year; thence to Marion County, Iowa, and farmed until he came to Kansas. He served three years and eight months in the Mexican war, and was twice taken prisoner. He was a member of Company D, Third United States Dragoons. Has been married twice, his first wife, Nancy Ann, was born August 14, 1828, and died May 29, 1868, by whom he had five children - Benjamin F., Joseph B., Elizabeth, Cyrus P. and John Wm. Married in January, 1882, to Matilda Hammer, a native of Tennessee. He is a member of the Masonic order of Canton.
H. E. PETERS, dealer in a general line of furniture, and undertaker, also dealer in real estate. Came to Canton in August, 1879, and laid out an addition to Canton in the fall of 1880, south of the railroad, on Section 22. He owns 160 acres of land, twenty of which are laid off in village lots and called Peters' addition to Canton. Was born in Orleans County, Mass., June 1, 1822. Parents moved with family to Washtenaw County, Mich., in 1826, where he was raised and lived until he came to Kansas. He learned the trade of miller and followed it seventeen years. He has built and operated two grist-mills during his life, in Michigan. Was married February 26, 1847, to Miss Melinda H. Holmes, a native of Tompkins County, N. Y., born January 20, 1828. They have seven children - Alice A., married to Mr. Chas. H. Minnie, Ann Arbor, Mich.; Geo. E., of Jackson, Mich.; Homer H., of Detroit, Mich.; Flora A., married to Mr. J. Smalley, of Canton; Charles F., Wirt L. and Clarence W., at home.
L. J. SCHERMERHORN, dealer in general merchandise, opened trade in September, 1878, at Canton; erected his store building in the summer of the same year, size of which is 22X75 feet, built of stone and wood, at a cost of $3,000. He carries an average stock of $5,000, and employs three men in the business. He first located in Spring Valley, Meridian Township, in 1875; farmed and followed merchandising until he came to Canton. He owns 800 acres of land in the above township, with 650 under cultivation. Was born in Schodack, Rensselaer Co., N. Y., October 22, 1834. Was raised on a farm in Christian County, Ill., his parents moving there in 1857. Was married in 1859, to Miss Martha D. Russell, a native of Sunderland, Mass. They have one son - John P. Wife died in 1865. Was married again in 1867, to Miss Marietta Burhuyte, of Catskill, N. Y. They have two children - Charlie B. and Fannie Maude. He has served in several township offices.
ROBERT VAN OSDELL, has charge of the Canton Model Steam Flouring Mills, having rented the same. He first located in Sedgwick County, Kas., in 1874; became part owner of a mill there, which he operated until 1877, when he came to Newton, Kas., where he took charge of the City Mills, moved to Burton in 1879, and took charge of the mills at the latter place, some time, thence to Anthony, Harper County, and took charge of a new mill until June 1, 1881; thence to Clay Center, and worked in the Clay Center mills until he came to Canton. He was born in Hampshire County, Va., in 1835. He was raised in a grist-mill, and has made milling his business since boyhood. Enlisted in the spring of 1861, in Company I, Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Participated in all the battles of his command; was mustered out in 1865. Was married, in 1868, to Miss Eliza Swim, of Kentucky. They have two children - Edgar H. and Nellie. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of H.
YOUNG, MONTGOMERY & CO., dealers in general merchandise, opened trade September 8, 1880, occupying a store-room 22X80 feet; carry an average stock of $10,000 and employ three men. Their trade equals $40,000 per annum. I. C. Montgomery came to Kansas in August, 1878, and clerked two years. He was born in Crawford County, Pa., in 1853; educated in Meadville, Pa., taking an academic course in Allegheny College. Was married in October, 1881, to Miss Hattie M. Gowdy, of Crawford County, Pa. They have one daughter, Ada Belle. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Canton, and Royal Templars of Temperance of Conneautville, Pa. C. F. Young came to Miami County, Kas., in 1876, locating in merchandising at Louisburg as a clerk three years; thence to McPherson, where he clerked a year, and afterward to Canton, where he engaged as above noted. He was born in Iowa County, Iowa, in 1859; was raised a merchant. He is a member of I. O. O. F. and Masonic order of Canton. Was married in November, 1882, to Miss Ada M. Gowdy, of Crawford County, Pa.
The town of Galva was laid out on the southeast quarter of Section 21, and the southwest quarter of Section 22, Township 19, Range 2 west, on land belonging to the Marion & McPherson Railroad Company, in September 1879. It now contains nearly 100 people, several general stores, one drug store, one hotel, one lumber yard, a hotel and a livery stable. A good district school flourishes, and the educational advantages of the community are further increased by the 'Central Kansas Congregational Academy.' This institution was chartered in January, 1880, a building being erected, 18X32 feet, two stories high. It cost $1,000, and was completed during the summer. The founder of the Academy was Rev. B. F. Haskins. Its present principal is Rev. A. J. Umholtz; attendance, twenty-five. Galva station is quite a shipping point for grain and live stock. During the four months from July to November, inclusive, 393 cars of wheat where shipped from the station; two cars of broomcorn, etc. Good stock yards have been constructed, and, all in all, Galva is quite a promising point.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - EMPIRE TOWNSHIP.
JOHN A. BROWN, dealer in all kinds of grain and farmers' produce, and proprietor of an elevator, capacity 5,000 bushels, built at a cost of $1,600. He came to Galva October 15, 1879, and opened the grain trade. In 1881 he bought and shipped fifty car loads; in 1882 he bought and shipped 200 car loads of wheat. He was born in Montreal, Canada, 1858, and lived in that city until came to Kansas. He was a student in the Montreal College of Pharmacy, intending to make drug business his calling, which he followed for three and one-half years, then went into the produce and commission trade there until he came to Kansas. Married, in August, 1882, to Miss Hattie B. Tinkler, of Logansport, Ind. He is a member of the Masonic Order of Kansas. He claims the honor of buying and shipping the first grain in Galva.
COLLIVER BROS., farmers and stock raisers, Section 10 and 15, P. O. Galva. They own 960 acres of land, with about 600 acres cultivated. In 1882 they raised 5,000 bushels of wheat, an average of twenty-five bushels per acre. They located on the farm in June, 1872. Their nearest neighbor was then five miles away. Richard Colliver was born in Rush County, Ind., February 15, 1843; lived in his native place until 1854. His parents then, with their family, moved to Davis County, Iowa, and settled on a farm. He enlisted in February, 1862, in Company G, Second Missouri Cavalry, and participated in all the battles of his command. He was mustered out in April, 1865, then attended and taught school until he came to Kansas. Aaron M. Colliver was born in Rush County, Ind., December 22, 1838, and raised on a farm the same as his brother, Richard. Aaron M. enlisted April, 1861 in Company G, Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered into the U. S. service May 27, 1861. Participated in all the battles of his command. Was taken sick at the battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862, and was placed on detached service hospital after the battle. Was mustered out May 27, 1864. He then assisted in organizing Company D, Forth-eighth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, 100 day service, and was made First Lieutenant. The regiment was placed on guard duty at Rock Island, Ill. Was mustered out in November, 1864. Married, in 1860, to Miss Margaret Deupree, of Bloomfield, Davis Co., Iowa. They have two children - Mary P. and Andrew D.
J. B. CRAMER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Galva. He came to this place in June, 1872, and opened his farm. He was born in Franklin County, Ohio, November 20, 1820, was raised on a farm, and enlisted in September, 1862, in Company G, Eighty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was detailed as an artificer. Participated in the battles of Chickamauga, and was mustered out at the close of the war in 1865. He married in 1844, in Peoria, Ill., Miss Sabrina Wilsey, who was born in Bradford County, Pa., January 29, 1825. They have six children - Ellen E., married to H. L. Whitney, of Galva; Samantha, married to John Doyle, of Galva; Loren, married and farming near by; Nellie, married to Milton Cogshall, farming near Galva; William A., married December 17, 1882, and Grant C.
R. A. DEUPREE, firm of Steiner & Deupree Brothers, dealers in general merchandise. They opened trade in Galva, July 1, 1882, and carry a general average stock of $5,000, and employ three clerks in the business. He first came to Little River, Rice Co., Kan., in 1882, where they now keep a general stock of merchandise under the firm name of Frazee & Deupree Brothers, and carry an average stock of $10,000. He was born in Davis, County, Iowa, in 1882, where he lived until the fall of 1876 and followed farming. Thence to Albany, Gentry Co., Mo., and engaged in general merchandising a number of years, also following farming and stock raising some time; thence to Worth Co., Mo., and engaged in the grocery business until he came to Kansas. Married in December, 1879, to Miss Lydia Sellers, a native of Ohio.
THOMAS J. DIXON, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. McPherson. He came to his place in March, 1872; has 292 acres of land, with about 175 acres cultivated. In 1882 he raised 2,500 bushels of wheat, an average of forty bushels per acre; also eight tons of broom corn. Antelope, wolves and buffalo dotted the prairies in nearly every direction when he first came to Kansas. He was born in Jefferson County, Ky., Nov. 11, 1832, raised and educated in his native county, moved to Woodford County, Ky., 1867. He was raised a farmer and has followed that business all his life. Married in the fall of 1855, to Martha S. Carroll, a native of Woodford County, Ky. They have eleven children, Emily A, Amanda H., Sarah B., James L., George P., Martha S., Jessie, Maggie M., Mary T., Lillie M. and William W. He is a member of the Masonic order of Kentucky.
W. G. DOUGHTY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Galva, Section 17. He located on his place in June, 1872; has since farmed. In 1882 he raised 900 bushels of wheat; owns 160 acres of land, 120 of which is cultivated. He was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in 1846; parents moved to Warsaw, Hancock County, 1858, where he was raised. Married in 1867, to Miss M. J. Yenawine, of the latter county. They have five children, Charles H., William C., Helen M., Jennie G. and Paul E. He is a member of the Christian Church and present member of the School Board of his district. He is also the Township Trustee, and a Democrat in politics.
CORNELIUS DRUM, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Galva, Section 35. He has 160 acres of fine land, 100 of which is cultivated. He came to his place April 30, 1871. In 1882 he raised 1,040 bushels of wheat on forty acres of ground. When he first came to his place his nearest market was Salina, forty miles north, nearest P. O. was Lake View, fifteen miles away. The country was very sparsely settled. He was born in Macoupin County, Ill., December 12, 1835, and was raised on a farm; went to Lucas County, Iowa, in 1857. Married in 1858, to Miss Hope P. Henderson, of his native place; wife died in March, 1859; again married, March, 1860, to Mary Henderson of the same county. They have five children, Martha, Rufus E., Marilla H., Anna B. and Helena M. He is a member of the Christian Church and was a member of the Kansas State Militia during the threatened raid of Rebel General Price.
E. A. ELLINGSON, Postmaster, Winnesheik, farmer and stock raiser. This office was established June 23, 1874, on the southeast quarter of Section 4, at his house. He has 320 acres of land, 240 of which are cultivated, with forty-five acres of timber. He first came to Kansas in the fall of 1872 and moved to his present place September 20, 1873. He was born in Norway May 2, 1840, and came to America with his parents in 1845. He was married April 30, 1864, to Miss Christina Frethem, a native of Norway. They have five children, Alex. H., Ulysses S., Charles A., Henry W. L. and Amanda M. He is a Greenbacker and a member of the I. O. O. F. of McPherson.
GEORGE E. FOSTER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Galva, Section 26. He has 240 acres of land; 145 acres of which are cultivated. He came to this place in September, 1873. There was hardly a road or the mark of a white man. He followed trading about four years in company with Dr. J. M. Fry and has since farmed. He was born in Piscataquis County, Me., April 27, 1837, and raised on a farm. Moved to Boone County, Ill., in 1845, and farmed sometime; thence to DeKalb County, same State, and finally to Benton County, Iowa, in 1865, where he followed farming until he came to Kansas. Married, in 1860, to Miss Elvina A. Morse of New York State. They have five children - Alvina W., Leona A., Harry C., Jessie A. and Eugene S. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Has been Township Treasurer two terms. Has been Postmaster three and one-half years and is at present Notary Public.
M. H. HASKINS, physician and surgeon, and dealer in drugs, medicines and druggists' sundries, under the name of Haskins & Hodges. They opened trade in the fall of 1879 and carry a general stock of $2,000. The doctor first located at Empire, McPherson County, in 1877, where he practiced medicine until 1879. He was born in Knox County, Ill., February 22, 1852. His parents moved with their family to Emporia, Kansas, in 1855; the family, after living there for some time, returned to Farmington, Ill., living there and in Page County, Iowa. His father, B. F. Haskins, became president and trustee of Amity College, at College Springs, Page County, Iowa, for six years, then returned to Victoria, Ill., and preached for thirteen years. The subject of this sketch entered Knox College in 1869, and remained some time as a student. He commenced the study of medicine in 1872 with Dr. J. R. Corbus, of Amboy, Ill., and graduated from the Chicago Medical College in 1875. He has since practiced medicine. He married, in the fall of 1875, Miss Mary L. Pierson, of Amboy, Ill. They have two children - Harry E. and Laura. He is a member of Amboy Lodge No. 179, I. O. O. F.; also Canton Lodge of A. F. & A. M., No. 197, and of McPherson Chapter, McPherson, Kansas.
JOSEPH MEEK, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Galva, Section 35. He first came with his family to Kansas, May, 1873; took his land in July 1872. First came to the State in March, 1869, and located in Allen County, on a farm where he followed agricultural pursuits until he located on his present place. He has 200 acres of land, 140 of which are cultivated. In 1882 he raised 2,000 bushels of wheat, and average of twenty bushels per acre. He was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, September 6, 1834, and was raised on a farm. Enlisted near the close of the was in Company E, One Hundred and Seventy- second Ohio National Guards; served four months. Mustered out in May, 1865. Married in 1860, to Miss Elizabeth McDonald, a native of Kentucky, but raise in Guernsey County, Ohio. They have five children - Frances May, William H., Rose Bell, Levina H. and J. McDonald. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a member of the Greenback party.
DR. F. N. REASONER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Canton, Section 28. Has 160 acres of land, eighty of which are cultivated. He came to this place in April, 1872, and practiced medicine until 1877, when he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. Born in Steuben County, N. Y., October 12, 1834. His parents moved to Randolph County, Ill., in 1837. His father was a missionary pastor and moved about in various portions of Illinois and Indiana. The family moved to Oregon in 1852. He was educated at the Pacific University of Forest Grove, Oregon, in Literati. His medical education was completed at Hygeotherapeutic College of New York city (sic) graduating in March, 1868, and he then attended the Bellevue Hospital lectures. Began the practice of medicine in Ottawa, Ill. Married in 1878 to Miss Frances M. Neal, of Wabash County, Ind. They have one daughter - Rubetta Rozetta, born May 13, 1879. They are members of the Congregational Church. He has served as Township Trustee.
JOHN RICHEY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Galva, Section 20. He came to this place in 1876. Came to Kansas first in the f all of 1872; has followed farming and stock raising since. Born in Harrison County, Ohio, in 1842;; raised on a farm. Enlisted August 2, 1862, in Company D., Eighty-third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Participated in all the battles of his command during his service; promoted to Orderly Sergeant; mustered out in July, 1865. He has lived in Ohio and Illinois and followed farming. He is a member of the James B. McPherson Post, No. 87. Was County Commissioner, McPherson County, in 1875. Elected to State Senate, Kansas, in 1876; served four years. Was married in 1870, to Miss Lou Ditch, of Ripley County, Ind. They have six children - Clarence R., Floy B., John E., David C., Alma L., and and (sic) an infant son, Preston Blaine. He is a statistical correspondent for Washington, D. C., and president of the Agricultural Society of McPherson County. He has 320 acres of fine land and raised 800 bushels of wheat in 1882, an average of twenty-five bushels per acre.
A. G. ROBB, firm Robb Brothers, dealers in general merchandise. They opened trade in the fall of 1879, theirs being the first store opened in Galva. They carry a general stock of about $4,000. They also deal largely in grain; from July 12, 1882, until November, same year, they bought and shipped 205 cars of wheat. They employ seven men in all branches of their trade. They do a large trade in general merchandise, etc. The postoffice is kept at their store.
H. L. WHITNEY, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 28, P. O. Galva, has 160 acres of land, all improved. He came to this place in June, 1872. His nearest railroad was then forty miles away. In 1882 he raised 1,300 bushels of wheat, an average of twenty-five bushels per acre. He was born in Henry County, Ill., February 22, 1845. Was raised on a farm and lived in his native county until he came to Kansas. Married in 1867 to Miss Ella Cramer, a native of Henry County, Ill. They have four children - Irena E., Blanch, Juna and Ira. He is a Democrat in politics.
J. K. WILSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Galva, Section 23. He has 153 acres of land, 145 acres are cultivated. He came to this place, with family, April 9, 1874. He first came in October, 1873, and made the original filing on his homestead. Was born in Mahoming County, Ohio, February 21, 1842, and was raised a farmer. Enlisted in August, 1861, Company E, Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry; participated in all battles of his command, being in sixteen general engagements; mustered out in September, 1864. Was married in 1866 to Miss Harriet L. Carson, of his native county, Ohio. They have four children - Florence E., Robert S., Frankie C. and Emma L. They are members of Christian Church.