|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Marquette is a little hamlet in the northwestern part of McPherson County, situated on the Smoky River. It has several good stores, implement depot, hotel and blacksmith shop. H. S. Bacon is proprietor of the water flour mill, some $10,000 being invested in the business. Marquette was surveyed in March, 1874, by J. D. Chamberlain, County Surveyor, and is located upon the east half of the southeast quarter of Section 23, Township 17, south, Range 5, west of the Sixth Principal Meridian. S. J. Darrah was president of the Town Company at the time it was located. The other directors were H. S. Bacon, J. G. Maxwell, John P. Stromquest, S. D. Wynn, August Browman, J. A. Foster, William Simons, and Charles Stromquest. The first building erected upon the town site was the house of J. A. Foster, where the postoffice was kept. He is still the incumbent. The business of the settlement is represented by seven stores, one blacksmith shop, a mill, a hotel, etc., etc.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - SHARP'S CREEK TOWNSHP.
H. S. BACON, proprietor of Marquette Flouring Mills. These mills were erected in 1874, size 30X40 feet, stone basement, and wooden building, two and one-half stories high; capacity, 100 barrels in twenty-four hours, with the new process of manufacture. There is a saw-mill in connection, 20X40 feet, one story high, all driven by water from Smoky Hill River, with a head of ten feet. The total cost of mills was $12,000. Mr. Bacon first came to Marquette in the fall of 1872, and found the above mill site. His family came in February, 1873. He has 170 acres of land connected with the mill, owns 600 acres of land total, 340 of which are under cultivation. When he first came to Kansas his nearest market was Salina, thirty miles north. He assisted in the organization of the Marquette Town Company in the spring of 1874. The Marquette postoffice was established in 1873. Mr. Bacon was born in Luzerne County, Pa., March 11, 1827; began miller's trade early in life; moved to Bradford County in 1836; followed milling and teaching until 1854; taught school ten years in Carbon County, Pa.; moved to Marquette, Mich., in 1854, and worked at millwrighting, etc.; built a saw-mill and operated same and followed lumbering until he came to Kansas. He now keeps the only hotel in Marquette, Kan., which is a first-class establishment. Mr. Bacon was married in 1861 to Miss Ellen E. (Eddy) Whiting, of Rutland, Vt. They have seven children - Cora E. Whiting (by Mrs. Bacon's first marriage); Eva C., Inez A., Fay L. (deceased), Jessie W., Don W. (deceased); Roy F., Mary E. Mr. Bacon is a member of the Masonic Order of Marquette, Mich., and of the Episcopal Church of the same place. Is a Republican in politics.
O. W. BAIRD, physician and surgeon of Eclectic school, first came to Kansas in December, 1870, and located in Marquette in April, 1881, where he has since practiced medicine. He was born in Allegany County, N. Y., in 1851; began the study of medicine in 1873, under Dr. M. Otis, of Tabor, Iowa. He began the practice of medicine in Gage County, Neb., in March, 1878; practiced there and across the Kansas State line until he came to Marquette. He was married in March, 1877, to Miss Lotta Rink, of Shelby, Iowa. They have two children - Charles O. and Cora May. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and a Republican in politics.
JAMES M. CLAYPOOL, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Marquette. He first came to his present place March 1, 1867, being the first settler in the town, and the first to take land. He now owns 440 acres, with 150 cultivated. Salina was the nearest market and postoffice, thirty miles northeast. There was an abundance of buffalo, elk and other wild game which supplied the bold pioneers with their only meat food for a number of years. He was obliged to leave his home a number of times on account of Indian troubles. He broke the first land in the northwest part of McPherson County. He has seen much of pioneer life in the west. He was born in Vinton County, Ohio, October 10, 1842; was raised on a farm in his native county. Enlisted in August, 1861, in Company D, Eighteenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and after eighteen months service, re- enlisted in Fourth United States Cavalry, Company K. During his service in the army, he participated in twenty-one battles, and was wounded three times; mustered out November 29, 1865. Was married in 1876, to Miss Alice Norris, of Pennsylvania. They have one daughter - Mary Rosanna. He is a member of James B. McPherson Post, No. 87, G. A. R. Is the present Justice of the Peace, and has been Township Trustee.
SAMUEL J. DARRAH, dealer in a general line of hardware and agricultural implements. He came to Kansas in 1857, locating in Leavenworth. He has served as City Clerk of the latter city, also County Clerk of Leavenworth County, Kan., afterward followed freighting to Colorado and New Mexico, etc. until he came to his present place in 1870. He opened the hardware business in 1876. He has since sold out with a view of locating in Montgomery County, Penn. He was born in Berks County, Penn., March 18, 1842. Has followed various occupations; lived in Chicago some time before coming to Kansas. He was a member of the Kansas State Militia in 1864-65; belongs to the Masonic order, also the I. O. O. F. Was married in 1870, to Miss Mary T. Temperly, of Baltimore, Md., born May 8, 1850. They have three children living - Walter P., Schuyler and Edna J.; Mary J., deceased, in the spring of 1882. Mr. Darrah is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
P. F. LINDH, farmer, P. O. Marquette. He located his land October 20, 1869, where he has since farmed. The county at that time was not organized; there were only a few settlers in the northwestern part of McPherson County, and wild game was plenty. He now owns 400 acres of fine land, 300 of which are cultivated. In 1882, he raised 3,550 bushels of wheat on 156 acres. Mr. Lindh was born in Sweden, August 2, 1840, and was raised on a farm. At eighteen years of age, he took a two years' course in an agricultural college in Sweden; had a situation as overseer on a large farm for two years, then took a course in a commercial college in Stockholm, Sweden, graduated in 1863; taught school a few months, and came to America in August, 1864; went to the copper mines of t he Lake Superior region, where he followed mining and lumbering until the summer of 1865, when he went to Chicago and followed railroading on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern road a short time. Went to Atchison, Kan., in the fall of 1865, and to Omaha, Neb., in August, 1866, and followed carpentering on the U. P. R. R. until he came to the present place. Was married in 1870, to Miss Clara A. Gustofson, of Sweden. They have three children - Selma A., Hulda M. C. and Aurora F. J. Established Colman postoffice about 1872, and was postmaster for two years. He is a member of the Swedish Lutheran Church at Marquette, and originator of the same. Was elected Justice of the Peace in 1871, and held the office until 1882, and re-elected in 1883. Has been Notary Public since 1877, and Treasurer of School District since its organization, and treasurer of Marquette Town Company since January, 1879.
D. N. MYERS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Marquette, Section 14. He took a homestead where the village of Marquette now stands in the latter part of August, 1869. Sold out and located on his present place. He has 160 acres of land, 140 of which are under plow. In 1882 he raised 1,178 bushels of wheat, an average of thirty-one bushels per acre, also raised 3,000 bushels of corn on seventy acres. He was born in Perry County, Pa., December 9, 1842, raised on a farm, and moved to La Salle County, Ill., in 1854, where he lived until the war broke out. He enlisted in the first call for troops in Company D, Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Re-enlisted in December, 1861, in Yates Battalion of sharpshooters. Re-enlisted as a veteran in the same company in 1863. Participated in all the battles of his command. Was wounded in the battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864. He was mustered out as Captain in May, 1865. He then tried various occupations, but being crippled by his wound did not get along well for some time. He finally joined the police force of Chicago for six months or more, thence to Iowa, and farmed until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1873 to Miss Kate Wynn, of Northumberland County, Pa. They have three children - Alma, Charlie and Freddie. He is a member of the G. A. R. of Iowa and is a Republican.
C. R. NORTON, stock raiser and farmer, Section 2, P. O. Marquette. He buys and raises stock and makes that a business. He came to his place in 1881, first came to the township in 1878. First came to Kansas in September, 1874, making the above business his main occupation since. He was born in Greenfield, Highland Co., Ohio, August 9, 1855, and raised in his native place. Began business life as a jeweler, following the business only a short time. Came to Kansas for his health and has since remained. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Masonic order of McPherson, and present Township Clerk. Was married in 1882 to Miss Augusta Brown of Evansville, Ind. He is a Republican in politics.
GEORGE N. NORTON, farmer and stock dealer, P. O. Marquette, Section 3. He settled on his place in 1873. Has 1,000 acres, 100 of which are cultivated. He built the first frame house in the township. He was born in Greenfield, Highland Co., Ohio, in 1847, and was raised in his native place and followed book-keeping a number of years, also followed railroading for some time. Was married in 1879 to Miss Zella Fisher, of Lindsborg, Kas., but a native of Indiana. They have two children, William and Eugene. He is a Republican in politics.
J. V. PARKER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Marquette, Section 4, Range 5, Township 17. He first came to this place February 12, 1870, taking his land as a soldier's homestead. He has 640 acres, 150 of which are cultivated. He raised 1,300 bushels of wheat in 1882, an average of twenty-two bushels per acre, 130 bushels of corn, averaging forty bushels per acre. He is quite largely interested in stock business. The county was only sparsely settled when he came. Not a house to be seen where the village of Marquette now stands. He was born in Elizabethtown, N. J., May 4, 1842. He began his life as a clerk. Enlisted May 21, 1861, in Company A, First New Jersey Volunteer Infantry. Participated in all the battles of his command and was mustered out in June, 1864. He was married in 1868 to Miss Belle J. Range of Stewart Run, Forest Co., Pa., born July 12, 1844. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Marquette. His wife was Postmistress of Calmar, Kas., six years. During the early times he hauled his corn sixty-five miles market. Sometimes was kept from five or six days by severe storms and his wife was left alone to do the work of the farm in mid-winter.
A. P. RENIUS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Marquette, Section 4. He first came to his place in October, 1869. Has 240 acres of land, 140 of which is cultivated. He raised 1,600 bushels of wheat in 1882, an average of twenty-five bushels per acre. He was born in Sweden in 1836. Was raised a farmer. Came to America in 1863 and lived in Illinois a short time, St. Louis, Mo., and Omaha, Neb., where he worked at carpenter work. He returned to his native country in 1868 and remained till the summer of 1869. Was married in 1873 to Miss Matilda Nelson, also a native of Sweden. They have four children, Nancy, Agnes, Mauritz and Chanckette. They are members of the Swedish Lutheran Church, of which building he was the contractor and builder of the Marquette church. He has served two terms as Township Treasurer. Is a Republican.
REV. MAURITZ STOLPE, pastor of the Swedish Lutheran Elim Church of Marquette was born in Sweden, June 15, 1858; educated in Gottenburg and Upsala, Sweden. Came to America in 1879; was ordained to the holy ministry October 16,1880. He preached in Sweden on a license a short time previous to coming to America and taking charge of the above church. He is a member of the Lutheran General Synod of the United States.
JUDGE J. N. UNDERWOOD, farmer and stockraiser, P. O. Marquette, Section 34, Township 17, Range 5 west. He first came to Saline County, Kan., in May, 1866. He engaged in hunting buffalos (sic) for a number of years, not intending to settle, but finally located as above noted, where he has since been engaged in farming and stockraising, locating on his present place in the spring of 1870. His nearest market, mill and postoffice was Salina, thirty-one miles away; there were few settlers in this township. He and brother Reuben made a contract to supply the K. P. R. R. Co. with buffalo meat, while the company were building the railroad. They killed about 1,200 buffalos (sic) during the season of 1866, and filled their contract. He (J. M. Underwood) was born in Clinton County, Ohio, March 24, 1841; was raised a farmer. Enlisted April 20, 1861, on Company B, Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; participated in all battles of his command until discharged November, 1862, for disability contracted in service in the battle of Shiloh. He afterwards raised Company F, Sixtieth Ohio, Volunteer Infantry, in March, 1864, and was made Captain of the company and participated in all battles. Wilderness campaigns beginning May 4, 1864, and closing at the surrender of General Robert E. Lee, April 11, 1865; mustered out August 8, 1865, and started West January 1, 1866. Was married in May, 1869, to Miss Jennie L. McConnell, of Jacksonville, Ill. They have five children - Fannie C., Robert, Charles R., Lucy and Nellie. He has served three terms as Probate Judge of McPherson County, beginning in 1872 and ending in 1876 inclusive. Represented McPherson County or Seventy-eighth District in Kansas State Legislature in 1873-74. He is a member of James B. McPherson Post, No. 87, G. A. R., and the Masonic fraternity, of McPherson.
W. O. WATSON, dealer in hardware and machinery, sewing machines, etc., opened trade in 1881, and carry an average stock of $5,000. He first came to Saline County, Kan., in May, 1872, where he followed agricultural pursuits until he came to Marquette, Kan., in October, 1881. Was born at Cold Spring, Putnam Co., N. Y., May 18, 1846, and was raised on a farm. Moved to Greene County, Ill., with his parents in 1858. He has followed canvassing for many years for various things. Enlisted September 11, 1861, in Company D, Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all battles of his command until taken prisoner at Battle Ackworth, and confined in Rebel prisons six months. Mustered out May 30, 1865. Was married in 1871 to Miss Martha Yarnell, of Ohio. They have four children - Maud, Malcom V., Rachel H. and Rose. He is a member of the Masonic Order, of Illinois. Is a Republican in politics.
J. W. BEAN, farmer and stockraiser, Section 36, P. O. Lindsborg, has 506 acres of land, 375 of which is cultivated; thirty-five acres of various varieties of timber; Smoky Hill River has its course through his farm for a mile. In 1882 he raised 2,500 bushels of wheat, an average of thirty-three bushels per acre. He has a cattle ranch of 1,920 acres, in company with B. F. Duncan, in the southeast corner of Ellsworth County, where they keep about 300 head of cattle. He came to Union Township in the spring of 1873. He was born in Frederick County, Va., in 1834. His parents removed to Clinton County, Ohio, in 1841. In 1864 he went to Andrew County, Mo., where he followed agricultural pursuits until he came to Kansas. He has served in several town offices; is a member of the McPherson County Board of Commissioners. Mr. Bean married, in 1859, Miss Sarah Jenkins, a native of Jeffersonville, Ohio. They have two children - Edith D. and Dell H. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and a Republican in politics.
B. F. DUNCAN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 26, P. O. Lindsborg. He came to this place in the spring of 1872. He has 454 acres of fine land, 300 of which are under cultivation. In 1882 he raised 4,000 bushels of wheat, an average of thirty-three bushels per acre. He was born in Holmes County, Ohio, in 1837. Was raised on a farm and learned the millers' trade. He emigrated to the Platte purchase, Andrew County, Mo., in 1846. where he lived until coming to Kansas. He enlisted March 7, 1862, in Company F, Fourth Missouri Cavalry, Missouri State Militia; participated in all the battles of his command until discharged for disability contracted while in service, in 1863. He was married in 1865, to Miss Edith C. Bean, of Clinton County, Ohio. He has a half interest in the Bean & Duncan cattle ranch in southeast corner of Ellsworth County, Kan., where they have 1,000 acres of land fenced, and keep over three hundred head of cattle.
SOLOMON STEPHENS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 29, Township 17, Range 4, P. O. Marquette, came to his place in April, 1866. His brother David came with him. There were only five settlers in that vicinity at that time. Their nearest market and postoffice was the Salina, thirty-five miles off. There was then not a grist-mill in McPherson County. They were frequently stirred up by the Indian scares, but no serious difficulties ever arose from Indian hostilities. The early pioneers frequently came together and remained at this father's place for a number of days for protection. The Indians would often steal the stock from the early pioneers on Sharp's Creek. Buffalo, elk and wild turkeys were found in great abundance, and supplied the principal meat food for years. Mr. Stephens was born in Campbell County, Tenn., March 6, 1840, and was raised on a farm. He has followed agricultural pursuits and stock-raising all his life. He went to Indiana the winter of 1849-50 with his parents. In 1854 he moved to Juneau County, Wis., and farmed until the fall of 1865. He went to Colorado in 1876 and engaged in mining. He now owns a valuable interest in that State. He was County Treasurer of McPherson County in 1871-72; State Senator form the Twenty-ninth District, Kansas Legislature, in 1875-76, serving two years. Is a Republican in politics.
CHARLES J. STROMQUIST, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 28, P. O. Smoky Hill. He came to Kansas December 18, 1869. Worked two years at the carpenters' trade, then began farming. He was born in Sweden, September 27, 1842. Worked mostly on the farm, but also learned the carpenters' and millers' trades. Came to America in 1867. Located at Chicago, where he worked at the carpenter's trade until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1873, to Miss Johanna M. Isakson, a native of Sweden, born July 31, 1849. They have four children - Agnes E., Anna W., Charles E., Francis J. L. (deceased) and Elvira S. He has served as Trustee of Sharp's Creek for two years, and Union Township two and one-half years, and a member of the School Board for several years. He is a member of the Freemount Swedish Lutheran Church, and has been trustee and cashier of the same for the past ten years. He has served as Justice of the Peace two years; is also one of the directors of the Bethania Academy at Lindsborg, Kan.
W. C. McCORMICK, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 20, P. O. Sharp's Creek. He came to his place in the spring of 1871. At that time the county was sparsely settled only along the streams. His then nearest market was Salina, thirty-five miles away. He now has 240 acres of land, 155 of which are cultivated. In 1882 he raised 2,000 bushels of wheat. He was born in Milton, Northumberland, Co., Pa., July 7, 1841. He was raised on a farm, and enlisted in January, 1862, in Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; participated in all the battles of his command. Re- enlisted in Company D, Thirteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry; was mustered out in 1865. He returned to and lived in his native place until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1868, to Miss H. Mide Brown, of Pittston, Luzerne Co., Pa. He is a member of the James B. McPherson Post, No. 87, G. A. R. Has served as Postmaster, Justice of the Peace, etc.
JAMES M. WILSON, P. O. Sharp's Creek, Section 8, Township 18, Range 4 west. owns 1,040 acres of fine land, 400 of which is cultivated. This is one of the finest stock ranches to be found in Kansas. In 1882 he raised 3,000 bushels of wheat. He also raised 200 acres of corn, or 6,000 bushels. He came to Salina, Kan., in 1870; lived there until 1876, but carried on his farm. He has also been engaged in merchandising in Salina five years. He was born in Belmont County, Ohio, January 17, 1829, and raised on a farm. His lived in Iowa, Minnesota, and four and a half years in California, where he engaged in mining. Was educated in Noble County, Ohio. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married in April 1863, to Miss Mary E. Wilson, born December 31, 1843, in Monroe County, Ohio. Mr. Wilson keeps a large amount of cattle, sheep and hogs on hand, buys and sells, etc.
Roxbury is situated in the northeaster corner of the county, in the rich valley of Gypsum Creek. It contains a good store, postoffice, schoolhouse, church and other buildings. The Baptist Society was organized in 1872, and a good frame building, 30X40 feet, was completed in 1882, although it had been commenced in 1878. The enrolled membership of the society is thirty; value of property, including two lots, $1,000. Pastors who have served the church: Rev. D. McGregor, Rev. P. O. Prophet and Rev. Wm. D. Shields. There is at present no settled pastor.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - GYPSUM CREEK TOWNSHIP.
B. B. GATES, of the firm of B. B Gates & Co., dealers in general merchandise, opened business alone, in June, 1872, and carried a stock of $1,500, now carries a stock of $3,000. The company is E. W. Blaine, who is the Asst. Postmaster of Roxbury. Mr. Gates has 760 acres of fine land in Gypsum Creek Township, and adjoining Township 5, 400 of which are cultivated, and 960 acres in Marion County, adjoining McPherson County. Mr. Gates, Postmaster, first came to Roxbury in the spring of 1872. He was born in Derby, New Have Co., Conn., December 24, 1824; went to Chautauqua County, N. Y., in 1834, and there he was raised a farmer. Then lived in various places in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana, engaged in the hotel and grocery business. He is Township Treasurer of Gypsum Creek, and a Republican in politics.
JAMES MUIR, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Roxbury, Section 16. He first came to Kansas in the fall of 1857, and worked some time in a saw mill at Lawrence. Came to Salina March 4, 1858, farmed there until he came to his present place, in the spring of 1873. The country was considerably settled. He assisted to build the first house in Salina, in the summer of 1855. He took up the first land, and opened up the first farm in Saline County, near Salina. The nearest markets then, of any account, was Kansas City, Mo., 200 miles east. The trip was made with oxen, taking from four to six weeks. He would haul buffalo hides East, and return with general merchandise. He was born in Scotland, January 1, 1833. Came alone to America in 1851, settling in Randolph Co., Ill., he worked as a hired man on a farm for some time. Married in 1861, to Miss Abbie M. Wilcox, a native of New York City, born November 9, 1839. He has 200 acres of land in Section 16; 160 of which is cultivated. He makes stock-raising a specialty.
A. C. SPILMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 9, P. O. Roxbury. He came to this place in the spring of 1871. He has 400 acres of land, 200 of which are cultivated. In 1882 he, in company with James Muir, raised 2,400 bushels of wheat. He now makes stock-raising a specialty, and has a fine lot of cattle. He was born in Yazoo City, in 1837; was raised in Madison County, Ill., his parents moving there in 1838. He enlisted in August, 1861, in Company F, Sixth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry; served nearly a year, and was transferred to the Third Indiana Home Guards, serving on the frontiers in Missouri, Arkansas, Indian Territory and Kansas. He was promoted to First Lieutenant and Captain of Company B, Third Indiana Home Guards; was mustered out May 31, 1865. He first came to Kansas in September, 1857, living at Lawrence, and was a correspondent for several Eastern newspapers. Came to Salina in 1858, and has farmed and surveyed since. He was elected County Surveyor of Saline County in 1865, and served one term. Served one term from Saline County, in the Kansas Legislature, in 1867. He has held several township offices. He was married In 1866, to Miss Mary A. Kennison, a native of Ohio. They had two children - James and May. His wife died in 1871. Was married again in 1877, to Harriet Stevens, of Pennsylvania. They have had one son, Alfred Edwin. He is a Republican in politics.
HENRY B. TOLLE, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Roxbury, Section 4. He came to this place in May, 1866; being the first man to take up land in McPherson County, and his claim the first entered at land office. His nearest neighbor was six miles off. There was a threatened outbreak of Indians in June, 1868, which caused a good deal of uneasiness with the few pioneers in that wild country. He now has 200 acres of land, 100 of which is cultivated. In 1882, raised 1,100 bushels of wheat, an average of twenty-five bushels per acre. He was born in Glasgow, Barron Co., Ky., February 5, 1842, and raised on a farm. Enlisted October, 1861, in Company E, Ninth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry; participated in many battles of his command; mustered out in December, 1864. Married in 1867, to Miss Sarah F. Snoddy, of Glasgow, Ky. They are members of Methodist Episcopal Church of Gypsum Creek Township. In the summer of 1882, he erected a church building, wholely (sic) with his own means; the size of which was 28X42 feet, frame at a cost of $1,000. It is located on Section 4, Township 17, Range 1. The above church society was formed in 1869, with Rev. Phillips as pastor; consisting of eight members, belonging to three families; Rev. P. P. Wesley is the present pastor.
JOSEPH T. TOLLE, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Gypsum Creek. He has 520 acres of land in one body, partly lying in McPherson and partly in Saline counties, 273 of which are cultivated. In 1882, he raised 3,400 bushels of wheat, an average of thirty-two bushels per acre. He made the entry on his land May 4, 1866; moved his family March 20, 1867. His nearest postoffice was twenty-four miles away. He erected a dwelling in February, 1867; nearest neighbor was four miles away. There were Indian troubles in the fall of 1867, one man was killed, a Mr. Teple. Neighbors had their horses stolen by the Indians; the pioneers all took their families to Salina that fall, where they remained some time. He was born in Barron County, Ky., February 4, 1834, and lived there until 1862, thence to Bartholemew County, Ind., and farmed until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1858, to Miss Martha J. Ward, of his native State. They have seven children - Mary E., Robert S., Lovie J., Hattie G., Harry F., Walter T. and Christie C. His wife died February 12, 1878, he was again married February 26, 1879, to Phebe Hodges of Richland County, Ohio; they have three children - Loie (?) A., Wilbur W. and Charlie J. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was the first Postmaster of McPherson County. The first sermon was preached in his house by the Rev. Mr. Morrison, a Presbyterian minister, in 1867. There was a Methodist Episcopal Society formed about this time, of which Mr. Tolle was leader until 1877. He began preaching in 1877, as a local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
SPRING VALLEY TOWNSHIP.
JOSEPH C. BURGESS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 22, P. O. Canton. He has 160 acres of fine land, 140 of which are cultivated. In 1882, he raised 1,200 bushels of wheat, an average of twenty-five bushels to the acre. He came to this place in the spring of 1873. He was born in Hocking County Ohio, December 17, 1835, and was raised a farmer; followed the carpenter trade at Three Rivers, Mich., some time, thence went to Poweshlek County, Iowa, where he followed carpenter work and farming until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1857 to Miss Eda Wood, of Loraine County, Ohio. They have five sons - Oliver J., Joseph H., John L., Henry M., and Carys M. He is a Republican in politics. His wife served as the first school District Clerk one term.
C. A. CHAMPLIN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 17, P. O. Canton. He came to his place in January, 1876. He owns 480 acres of land, 350 of which are cultivated. In 1882 he raised 2,925 bushels of wheat, an average of twenty-five bushels to the acre. He was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., October 9, 1840, and was raised on a farm. The family moved to Rockford, Ill., in 1845, he was there raised. Enlisted in the spring of 1861, in Company H, Fifteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; was wounded in the battle of Shiloh, April, 6, 1862. Re-enlisted in Company A, Twelfth Illinois Cavalry as a Veteran, December 15,1863; was wounded May 24, 1864, at the battle of Marksville, La., and was discharged at Baton Rouge, January, 28, 1865. He participated in all the battles of his command in Cavalry. Is a member of Silas Miller Post, No. 84, G. A. R. Has served as Township Trustee for the past three years. Married March 5, 1865, to Miss Alice Pickard, of Pennsylvania, who was raised in Ogle County, Ill. They have six children - Joel B., Herbert H., Alfred R., Frederick C., Roy F., and Robert A. He has two severe wounds received in the battle of the Rebellion and receives a pension by reason of the same.
B. F. HUMBLE, farmer, stockraiser and carpenter, P. O. Canton, southwest quarter Section 22, has 160 acres of fine land, with 120 cultivated. He came to his place in July 1874. Born in Warren County, Tenn., November 27, 1844. Was raised on a farm, and lived in his native State until he came to Kansas. Was in his State service during the war. Married, 1867, to Miss Eliza J. Jones, of same county. They have five children - Andy P., William, Fred C., Matt and Ruberta. He is a member of the Cumberland, Tenn., Presbyterian Church and I. O. O. F.
THOMAS W. MOON, farmer and stockraiser, Section 20, P. O. Canton. He has 160 acres of land, all cultivated. In 1882 he raised 2,600 bushels of wheat, an average of twenty-three bushels to the acre. He came to this place with his family in 1874. He was born in Clinton County, Ohio, January 23, 1829, and was raised on a farm. Went to Grant County, Ind. in 1854, and farmed nine years; returned to Ohio and farmed until he came to Kansas. He was married, in 1850, to Margaret Carry, of the same county. They have thirteen children - John D., married; Caroline, married to Wm. Fresh; Eliza J., married to Henry Weaver; Nathan W., married; Sara A., married to James Brown; Luella, at home; Susan, married to Lambert Balley; Emma, Henry B., Amaziah G., Alma, Thomas E. and Linnie. He is a member of the Quaker Friends Church, I. O. O. F., and a member of the Greenback party.
HON. J. M. SIMPSON, P. O. Spring Valley, was born in Stock Township, Harrison Co., Ohio, April 17, 1845, and resided there until 1864, when he removed to Christian County, Ill., where he remained until the time of his removal to Kansas, March 1, 1876, locating on Section 33, Township 20, Range 1 west, where he has since resided although he did not remove his family to Kansas until the spring of 1877. He has held various offices in his township, having held for three terms the position of Town Clerk, and connected with the school government most of the time since he has been in the State. In November, 1882, he was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives. He was educated at Meadville, Pa., and in Illinois. Mr. Simpson is in every sense a representative man, having manifested in public life marked ability and vigor. He was married in Mohawk Village, in Ohio, July 31, 1872, to Mattie J. Moore, a native of that village. They have three children - Roberta A., Lacy M. and Stuart T. Mr. S. is a member of the A. F. & A. M.