|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (JACOBS - LYNN).
DR. L. D. JACOBS came to Emporia in May, 1866, and has been in practice here since that time. When he came to Emporia first he was associated for one year with Dr. Trustworthy in practice, and in 1869 and 1870 engaged in the drug business with Dr. Hibbon, being at the same time associated with him in his profession. He was alone during the rest of his residence here until March, 1876, when he joined practice with Dr. J. H. Page. Dr. Jacobs is President of the Board of Health, member of the United States Board of Pension Examiners, member of the state Medical Society, member of the Lyon County Medical Society, and surgeon for the A., T. &. S. F. R. R. Co. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and has several times been master of the Emporia Lodge No.12. He was also high priest of the chapter three terms and commander of the Commandery six years, and has held various offices in the Grand Lodge; he is a member of the K. of H. and A. 0. U. W. Dr. Jacobs was born near Williamsboro, Pa., May 20, 1842 and that was his home until he came to Kansas. He graduated at Pennsylvania College in 1863, and at the Medical Department of University of Pennsylvania in 1866. He commenced practice in Kansas. He was married in Emporia, September 20, 1868 to Anna Mary Bailey, a native of Ohio, and daughter of Alexander Bailey, who settled in Jackson Township, Lyon County, near Emporia, at an early day, and died at Emporia in 1881. They have four children living, Charles, Luther, Mary A., and Francis H., and lost one child in infancy.
WILLIAM JAY was born in Pennington, Mercer County, N. J., July 22, 1820, his early home being in Trenton, N. J. He left home and was employed as a clerk in a mercantile house in New York City for two years, remaining several years afterwards as a member of the firm. He then returned to Trenton and remained there many years engaged in the mercantile business, holding during his residence there various municipal offices. He was the first Republican elected to the Legislature in Trenton in 1855, and was a delegate to the Republican National Convention nominating William L. Dayton for the Vice-Presidency. In 1859 he went to Michigan and located at Whitmore Lake, nine miles north of Ann Arbor, was elected to the State Senate in 1862, and re-elected in 1864, serving four years, representing the State University District, where he lived until he came to Kansas. He located at Emporia in December, 1869, and was elected the second Mayor of the city, serving two terms. He has been largely engaged in the lumber business but has now retired from active business. He was married at Port Richmond, Staten Island, N. Y., June 7, 1841, to Jane A. Stevens, a native of Elizabethtown. N. J., but reared in New York City. They have four children living. William Stevens. Ella B. (now Mrs. J. B. Halleck, of Emporia), Anna (now Mrs. L. L. Halleck, of Emporia), and Mary H., living at the family residence. They have lost two children, John R. died in Emporia; Jane L. Gilchrist, died in Emporia, leaving a child, Gertrude Jane, who is in the care of Mr. Jay.
ROBERT JEFF, cigar manufacturer, came to Kansas in the spring of 1869, engaging in the manufacture of cigars at Leavenworth for about one year. He then removed t o Emporia, and has worked at the same business since that time. IN 1879, he commenced to manufacture for himself, and now employs nine hands in his factory. Born in London, England, in 1836, he came to America in April, 1864, and located in Brooklyn, N. Y. He lived in that State and in New England until he came to Kansas. Mr. Jeff is a member of the I. O. O. F., having filled all the chairs of the subordinate lodge, and serving now as B. S. W. in the Encampment, and treasurer of Union Lodge, No. 15. He is also grand guardian in the Grand Lodge of Kansas. Mr. Jeff was married in Brooklyn, N. Y., July 2, 1866, to Emily J. Smith, a native of London. They have one son - Robert J.
RICHARD W. JEREMY was born in South Wales, October 4, 1855; came to this country in 1860, and resided in Luzerne County, Penn., until the fall of 1876, when he came to Kansas, and located in Emporia. He learned the trade of a tinsmith in Pennsylvania and is now a member of the firm of Osborne & Jeremy, dealers in stoves and tinware and gasfitters and plumbers. Theirs is the principle establishment in their line in the city, and does a large business. Mr. J. is a member of Emporia Lodge, No. 12, A., F. & A. M., and is a C. P. of Emporia Encampment, No. 17, I. O. O. F.
ALEXANDER L. JILLSON contractor was born in Boonville, N. Y., December 20, 1830. His early life was spent in New York, in September, 1861, he enlisted as First Sergeant in Company A, Ninety-seventh New York Regiment, and served eight months as sergeant; was promoted to Captain of Company A, and served as Captain one year. Was then discharged for disability. He remained at home about six months, then went back to his regiment as Captain of Company C.; participated in all the battles of the Army of the Potomac, from Antietam to Appomattox and Lee's surrender. He was mustered out at Syracuse, N. Y., in July, 1865. He then went to New York City, and went into the mercantile business, dealing in teas and coffees, continued about sixteen months, then returned to Boonville, and worked at his trade until he came to Kansas in the fall of 1869, locating in Emporia where he has since resided. He worked at his trade for four years, and in 1873, commenced business of contracting and building, firm of Holmes & Jillson. After two years, the firm took contracts in Texas which required their absence from Emporia for two years when they returned, and have since built some of the largest and most important blocks and building in this city, notably the fine high school building, Hotel Coolidge, the new Republican Block, etc. He married Mrs. Sarah L. Dye, June 5, 1873, and by this marriage has two children - Carlos A. and Otis B. both living. He is a member of Emporia Lodge, No. 12, A., F. & A. M.
DAVID W. JONES, grocer was born in Wales, July 1, 1856; came to the United States with his parents in 1861, locating in Wilkesbarre, Penn., where they still reside, and where he resided until he came to Kansas, in January, 1878, locating in Emporia, where he entered the employ of G. W. Bennett, grocer, with whome he continued until May, 1881, when he started in business under the firm name D. W. Jones & Co., John Nichols special partner. Located on the corner of Fourth avenue and Commercial street. They have a large store, and carry a large and well selected stock, and do an extensive business. Married Miss Sadie Nichols, of Emporia, December 14, 1880, and by this marriage has one child - William J., born November 22, 1881.
EVAN L. JONES, farmer, Section 27, Township 19, Range 11, P. O. Emporia, was born in Carmarthenshire, South Wales, May 16, 1831. He came to the United States in 1850, locating first at Utica, N. Y., where he remained four years; then removed to Morrow County, Ohio. After a residence of about four years in Ohio, he came to Kansas, locating in Emporia Township in the spring of 1858, upon 160 acres of land on Dry Creek. He improved this farm by the erection of a small dwelling, barn, etc., and has continued since to operate it. In 1878 he built a a fine, large dwelling upon the place, and has continually improved his land, so that it is now a very fine and productive farm, his principle crop being corn, but he also raises cattle and hogs. He first bought this farm as a claim of the party that had located it, raised a crop that year and returned to Ohio to be married. Upon his return he found a squatter had taken possession of it, whom he had to buy off and then purchase it from the government under the pre-emption law. He married Miss Mary Jones, of Newark, Ohio, September 7, 1858, by whom he has had five children, of whom Margaret E., Hattie, John C., and Thomas J. are living. He is a member of the the Welsh Congregational Church, also a member of Walkup Lodge, No. 2010, Knights of Honor.
GRIFFITH P. JONES, dealer in clothing, etc., was born in Caernarvonshire, North Wales, August 21, 1847; came to the United States with his parents in 1853, locating in Oneida County, N. Y., where he resided until the spring of 1867, when he came to Kansas. He resided in Atchison until the fall of 1869, when he removed to Emporia; clerked in a dry goods store four years. In the spring of 1874, he started in merchant tailoring business, under the firm name of G. P. Jones & Co., composed of the brothers G. P. and John C., and in 1876 added to the business a retail clothing, gents' furnishing goods, boots and shoes. They carry a large stock of goods and do an extensive merchant tailoring business which employs about twenty hands. Mr. Jones has also recently started in stock raising and has a ranch of 480 acres in Lyon County. He is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Emporia; a member of the Damascus Lodge, No. 11, K. of P., and a member of Emporia Encampment, No. 17, I. O. O. F. Has twice been a representative to the Grand Lodge and once a representative to the Grand Encampment.
H. LLEWELYN JONES, attorney-at-law, was born in Comvay, North Wales, March 8, 1851. He came to the United States in 1880, and after a residence of about one year in New York City, came to Kansas, locating at Emporia. In December, 1881, he was admitted to the bar and commenced the practice of law, which profession he had followed in Wales. He is the only Welch lawyer in the city. He is a member of the Second Presbyterian Church of Emporia.
JOHN C. JONES came to Emporia in the spring of 1871, being first employed as a cutter by Bancroft & McCarter. Remaining with this firm until 1874, he and his brother, G. P., purchased the merchant tailoring department which they conducted for abut two years; then commenced dealing in hats, caps, clothing, etc. They commence business in what was known as the Ruggles & Plumb block, southeast corner of Fifth and Commercial streets. After moving twice they finally located in present quarters, northwest corner of those thoroughfares. Mr. Jones was born in Caernarvonshire, North Wales, September 19, 1845. When about seven years of age he came to America with his parents, who located in Steuben, Oneida Co., in which vicinity he resided until he came to Emporia. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, K. of P. and A. O. U. W. He was married in Turin, Lewis Co., N. Y., November 24, 1868, to Lucina Allen, a native of the same place. They have three children - Charles R., George R. and Ernest J.
JOSEPH C. JONES, foundry, was born in Monmouthshire, Wales, February 28, 1831. Came to the United States in 1851, and after a residence of about three years and a half in New York City, resided for thirteen years in Pennsylvania. In 1871 started West, and after three years spent in Ohio came to Kansas in 1874. Located in Emporia. Having early in life learned the trade of foundryman, which he has since followed, he bought the only foundry in the city, located on the M. K. & T. R'y track near the depot. After he had operated it about a year and a half it was destroyed by fire. He then, in 1876, erected a new foundry building on the corner of Market street and Third Avenue, which he continues to operate, doing mostly a jobbing business. Married Miss Catharine Fisher of New York City, March 16, 1852, and by this marriage has had seven children, of whom Horace G., George F., Charles W., and Joseph E. are living.
WILLIAM J. JONES, live stock dealer, was born in South Wales, September 19, 1849. Came to the United States when two years old, with his parents, to Newark, Ohio, where he resided until the spring of 1859, when he came to Kansas, locating in Lyon County, with his father, Daniel R. Jones, who came a year earlier. Was raised and has always resided in Lyon County. Was educated in Lyon County, and attended the State Normal School two and one-half years. Taught school in the county, and after attending Commercial College, at Topeka, for about six months, entered commercial life in Emporia. In 1878, was elected Register of Deeds of Lyon County, which office he held for four years. Has been engaged in the cattle business. He was a member of School Board four years. Married Miss Mary C. Jones, of Emporia, and by this marriage has had three children, all deceased. He is a member of Second Presbyterian Church of Emporia; also a member of Central Lodge, No. 781, K. of H.
HON. L. B. KELLOGG, Probate Judge, was born in Lorain County, Ohio, September 28, 1841. His parents removed to Illinois when he was a youth. He was educated at Bloomington, Ill., graduating from the State Normal University in June 1864. In January of the following year he removed to Emporia, Kan., and in February took charge of the State Normal School at that city, remaining its president until 1872. He then went to Arkansas City, Cowley County, and resided until 1875, practicing law, and holding no office except that of United States Commissioner and member of the School Board. Since the spring of 1875 he has been a resident of Emporia, and engaged in the practice of his profession. In the fall of 1876 he was elected a member of the State Legislature, and in the fall of 1878 was elected Probate Judge, and re-elected in the fall of 1880, and again re-elected in the fall of 1882. He is also President of the School Board. Judge Kellogg was married in Emporia, in 1867, to Abbie G. Homer, who died in 1873, leaving two children - Vernon L. and Fred H. On June 11, 1878, he was married to Mrs. J. M. Arthur, his present wife. Mrs. Kellogg is a daughter of the Rev. D. P. Mitchell, and old resident and clergyman of Leavenworth. By her he has two children - Charles M. and Mary V. Mr. Kellogg was admitted to the bar as attorney-at-law in December, 1880.
GEORGE W. KIRKENDALL was born near Xenia, Greene Co., Ohio, July 16, 1811, and ten years later moved, with his parents, to Hamilton County, Ind., where he was in October 9, 1831, married to Elizabeth Weese, of Ohio. In 1847, he moved to Iowa, and located in Van Buren County. Three years later, Mr. K., in company with several others, went to California, where he remained two years and then returned to his family. In 1857 he immigrated to Kansas, and settled in Pike Township, Section 25, where he lived until 1866, when he moved to Emporia, where he now lives. The first schoolhouse in Lyon County was built in 1857, on the farm of Mr. Kirkendall, and school was taught during the winter of 1857-58, by H. W. Gardner, of New York, now his son-in-law. Mr. K. and wife have eight children living - Mathew W., now living in Pike Township; Elijah B., now in Van Buren County, Iowa; Clarinda, now Mrs. H. W. Gardner, of Monroe County, N. Y.; Matilda, now Mrs. J. J. Pickett, of Pike Township; Mahala, now Mrs. James Newlin, of Emporia, and Sarah Elizabeth, now living with her parents. Mr. K. and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JAMES E. KLOCK, teacher, was born March 27, 1855, in Wyoming County, N. Y. Removed with his parents to Waterloo, Iowa, in 1857, and continued to reside there until the fall of 1871, when he came to Kansas, locating in Emporia. Graduated from the Kansas State Normal School in 175. Taught school at Neosho Rapids for about five years, and in 1881 was appointed to the position of principal of the Emporia High School. Held that position until the fall of 1882, when he was elected Superintendent of Public Instruction for Lyon County. Married Miss Maggie L. Roberts, January 24, 1879. They have one child, Lena M.
THOMAS S. KRUTZ, secretary and treasurer of the Central Loan and Land Company, came to Kansas in the summer of 1869, and located at Paola, where he resided about eight years engaged in the real estate business. He then removed to Kansas City, where he remained until the close of 1878, when he settled in Emporia. Mr. Krutz has been engaged in his present position since coming to this city. He is a native of Florence, Switzerland Co., Ind., being a resident of that place until he came to Kansas.
ALBERT G. LAKIN, was born in West Carlisle, Ohio, April 6, 1839. His youth was spent in Ohio, after which he resided in Indiana five years and in 1859 removed to Illinois. In 1862 he joined Company K, Seventy-fourth Illinois Regiment, as Second Lieutenant. Was promoted to First Lieutenant and Captain. He was detailed as Brigade Inspector on staff of Acting Brigadier General W. F. Sherman, and afterwards that of Brig. Gen. E. Opdycke. He was brevetted Lieutenant Colonel and was mustered out in June, 1865. He returned to Illinois and entered commercial life, in which he continued until he removed to Kansas in 1870, locating at Emporia. He was agent for the A., T. & S. F. R. R. for four years, since then he has been engaged in the extensive general dry goods firm of G. W. Newman & Co. He is a member of Emporia Chapter No. 12, R. A. M., of which he was H. P. in 1881. Also a member of Central Lodge No. 781, K. of H. Was a member of School Board for three years, also a member of City Council two years. Married Miss Mary McBean, of Cadiz, Ohio, August 30, 1864, and by this marriage has had four children, of whom Fred Opdycke, Harry B., and Hattie are living.
ROLAND LAKIN, grocer, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, November 2, 1850. When twelve years old he removed with his parents to Illinois, where he resided until 1869, when he came to Kansas, locating in Butler County. In 1870 started in business at Chelsea, and for four years continued in general mercantile line. Removed to Emporia in 1874, and for two years was engaged in farming. In 1876 was engaged as book-keeper for the Grange store in Emporia, and retained this position until the spring of 1879 when he started in the grocery business under the firm name of McDonald & Lakin. In June, 1882, Mr. McDonald sold his interest to W. A. Elston. N. M. Carter was at the same time given a third interest and the firm did business as Elston & Lakin until October, 1882, when it merged into the Emporia Mercantile Company, composed of G. W. Frederick, president; R. Lakin, secretary and treasurer; W. A. Elston, N. M. Carter, J. B. Halleck, A. Gilbert, and I. E. Lambert. They do a wholesale and retail grocery business. Mr. Lakin is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Emporia, and a member of Emporia Lodge No. 12, A., F. & A. M. Married Miss Alice A. McWorter of Chelsea, Kas., March 7, 1875, and by this marriage has two children, James W. and Walter.
J. E. LAMBERT, attorney-at-law, has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Emporia since March, 1879, the date of his locations in the place. He was born in Peoria, Ill., August, 1854, educated at the Northwestern University, at Evanston, Ill., and read law with Ingersoll & McCune. He was admitted to the bar in September, 1874, and practiced in Peoria, until he came to Emporia in 1879. He was appointed City Attorney, in August 1880, and elected to the same office in the spring of 1881, which he resigned in the spring of 1882. Mr. Lambert was married at Grand Rapids, October 10, 1876, to Hattie Burns, a native of that place. They have one son - Boyd.
LAWRENCE LARNARD, clerk in the employ of the A., K. T. & S. F. R. R., was born in Marion County, Ind., February, 22, 1848. Resided in Indiana, until 1861, whence he enlisted as private in Company D., Eighteenth Indiana Regiment. Was in the Department of the Southwest, and participated in the battles of Pea Ridge, siege of Vicksburg, Strasburg, Wilson's Creek and others, besides many skirmishes. Was mustered out at Darlen, Ga., in 1865, and returned to Indiana, and engaged in railroading on the I. C. & L. F. R. R., where he remained until he came to Kansas, in the spring of 1869. He entered the employ of the A. T. & S. F. R. R. Co., at Carbondale. In 1875, was transferred to Emporia, where he now holds the position of oil supply clerk, at the shops of the company. He has been in the employ of the company during his residence in Kansas. Has built a home on Market street, between Second and Third avenues. Married Miss Ellen Sullivan, of Carbondale, May 27, 1874, by which marriage he has three children - Sarah E., William M., and John E.
C. A. LEIGHTON, loan agent, came to Paola, Kansas in May, 1869, and engaged in the lumber business for a short time. In November, 1869, he assisted in the organization of the Miami Savings Bank, acting as assistant cashier. The institution was merged into the First National Bank, in October, 1871. Mr. Leighton was assistant cashier of the bank about one year, and was afterward cashier until 1877. From 1871 to 1877, he was a member of F. M. Shaw & Co.'s loan agency. He removed to Kansas City, in June 1878, remaining there until October, 1878. In December of this year, he came to Emporia, and assisted in the organization of the Central Loan and Land Company, continuing with that company, until November, 1882. He with S. B. Warren and others, has since established another loan company. Mr. Leighton was born in Manchester, Scott County, Ill., July 15, 1844. He resided in that county until 1862, and then removed to Lincoln, Ill., where he remained until he came to Kansas, in 1869. He was married in Paola, Kan., January 28, 1880, to Clarice Krutz, a native of Indiana.
JAMES E. LEWIS, merchant tailor, was born in South Wales, September 5, 1852; came to the United States in 1873 and located in Emporia, Kan., where he has since resided. He was engaged in working at his trade for I. E. Perlev, G. P. Jones & Co., and others until the spring of 1882, when he started in merchant tailoring business, on Commercial street. He married Miss Gwennie Roberts, of Lyon County, July 4, 1879, and by this marriage, has two children - Ellen and Arthur E., both living. He is a member of the Second Congregational Church, of Emporia.
LEWIS W. LEWIS, contractor, was born in South Wales, September 30, 1839, came to this country in 1869, and in December of that year, came to Kansas, locating at Emporia where he engaged in general contracting for masonry and building. In 1870, he took the contract for bridge masonry on the A., T. & S. F. R. R., and has ever since been more or less engaged in the bridge construction of that road. Employs at present an average of about 400 men during the summer. His work now extends from Kansas City to New Mexico. Has in connection with his work a large quarry at Strong City, furnishing a fine quality of stone, some of which is shipped as far as Arizona Territory. Has also built about twelve bridges for Lyon County. Married, July 1, 1865, Miss Margaret Williams, of South Wales, and by this marriage has had seven children, of whom Lewis H., Eliza A., Mary J., Margaret P., William J., and Claudia S., are living He is a member of of the Welsh Presbyterian Church of Emporia; a member of Emporia Commandery No. 8 K. T.; Emporia Lodge No. 15, I. O. O. F.; a member of Central Lodge No. 781, K. of H., and of Emporia Lodge No. 2, A. O. U. W.
T. H. LEWIS, was born in the northern part of South Wales, at Llanffhangel, February 5, 1845. He came to America in 1870, locating at Emporia, on May 1 same year, and was married in Emporia, in March, 1873, to Lizzie Lewis, also a native of South Wales, daughter of Isaac Lewis, and resident of America since her early youth. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis have three children - Edwin James, Mary Lizzie, and Isaac Garfield. Mr. Lewis engaged in the dry goods business in the capacity of clerk, on locating at Emporia, running the tailoring department of Hall Brothers' dry goods store, until he emerged at I. E. Perlev's clothing house for several years. Now in business for himself since April, 1879. He is now serving his second term as Alderman of the Second ward, having held the position since 1880. He is a member and one of the elders of the Welsh Second Presbyterian Church, and superintendent of the Sunday School connected with it. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F., and A. O. U. W., being treasurer of Select Knights and of the United Order of Ancient Templars, a temperance and insurance organization.
D. F. LONGNECKER, M. D., was born at Roaring Spring, Blair Co., Pa., March 15, 1854, and received his education at the National Normal School, Lebanon, Ohio, and the Juniata Collegiate Institute at Martinsburg, Pa. He graduated from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in the class of 1876, and after spending a year with his preceptor, Dr. Stayer, of Roaring Spring, came to Kansas, and located at Scandia, Republic County, where he resided, engaged in the practice of his profession, until April, 1881, when he returned to Philadelphia, and spent a year in the study of diseases of the eye and ear, which he now makes a specialty. He came to Emporia in the latter part of June, 1882. Dr. L. is a member of the I. O. O. F., K of P., and Lyon County Medical Society.
H. J. & H. W. LOOMIS, under the firm name of Loomis & Loomis, began the hardware business here in March, 1880. They make a specialty of stoves and tinware, dealing also in all kinds of hardware and agricultural implements. The house has furnished most of the hardware for the prominent buildings erected in Emporia, during 1882. H. J. Loomis was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., in May, 1832, and prior to removal to Kansas, was a resident of Macoupin Co., Ill., where he was engaged in farming. Mr. Loomis was married at Carrolton, Macoupin Co., Ill., September 12, 1854, to Alice H. Eldred, a native of Greene Co., Ill., and daughter of William Eldred, who settled in that county as early as 1818. They have four children - Horace, William, Nellie A., and Addie L.
H. W. LOOMIS, was born in Chesterfield, Ill., September 7, 1859, and married in the same place July 20, 1881, Lily Bullard, a native of Macoupin Co., Ill.
J. W. LYNN, attorney-at-law, was born near Hopkinsville, Christian Co., Ky., February 14, 1844. His family were all farmers. His two grandmothers were first cousins, being pure American born Scotch ladies from the old Scotch families of Hogg, Gibson, and Shelton. They were both from Casswell Court House, N. C. His maternal grandfather, Thomas Lindley, was an American born Englishman with an admixture of Welsh, springing from the Lindley and Pyle families. He was from Pendleton, S. C. All three of these grandparents were amongst the first settlers of Kentucky, having immigrated thither in the days of Daniel Boone. His paternal grandfather, Jonathan Lynn, was a native born North of Ireland Irishman, who immigrated to Kentucky when he was a boy with his parents. So it will be seen that the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland is fully represented in our Mr. Lynn. However, his ancestors were among the colonists and early settlers of America. His great-grandfather, John Gibson, was a soldier of the Continental Army, and fought at Guilford Court House. His three great-uncles, Meredith Gibson, Robert and Elijah Shelton, fought under Gen. Jackson at New Orleans, and the two last named also fought under Gen. Harrison in the Indian wars, and were in the battle of Tippecanoe. William Wallace Lynn and Mary Lindley, the parents of the subject of this sketch, were married in 1843. His father went down with the steamer Belle of Clarksville in 1845, in the Mississippi River, about thirty miles above Nachez, Miss., leaving two infant children, our John Washington Lynn and his sister, Lucy C. Lynn, to their mother, who being very poor, returned with her two children to her father's house, where Mr. Lynn was raised to hard labor and all the exercises of a farm life in the country. On the 15th day of October, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company B, Twenty-fifth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, serving three years and four months. After the battle of Shiloh his regiment was consolidated with the Seventeenth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, his former company becoming Company G. of the new organization. He served in this company as private and corporal until he was mustered out, January 19, 1865. His regiment was at Fort Donelson, at Shiloh both days, the siege of Corinth, at the battles of Perryville, Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge, and all the battles of the Atlanta Campaign, and also the battles of Franklin and Nashville, yet he was so fortunate as not to have received a single wound or be taken prisoner. Mr. Lynn received before the war a good common school education at the public schools in his neighborhood. After the war he learned telegraphing, and as an operator he saved money enough to educate himself. He received his education at Kentucky University, and his legal training at the Law School of Harvard University. On November 3, 1871, he was married, in his native county, to a life-long neighbor and school mate, Madora S. Brown, a daughter of the late Hon. E. A. Brown, of Kentucky. They have two daughters living - Sally C. and Lucy P., and Mary E. dead. Immediately after his marriage he came to reside in Emporia, and January 1, 1873, he formed a law partnership with Hon. R. M. Ruggles, which continued to the time of the latter's death in April, 1879. At one time, O. N. Storey was associated with them, W. W. Scott becoming a member of the firm in 1874, and the firm still continues as Scott & Lynn. Mr. Lynn is 5 feet 10 inches tall, and only weighs 133 pounds, being very slender. His health is very delicate, but for a man of his strength he is a great student. He is quite familiar with four or five languages besides his own. He is a thorough lover of science and literature, and keeps a fine select library of this kind; besides he and his partner possess on of the finest private legal libraries in the State. They have a large and increasing practice in their profession.