|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HAMILTON - IRWIN).
ERASTUS HAMILTON was born March 30, 1857, in Doniphan County, Kan. His father Timothy M., came there from Missouri the year previous and bought a claim, which he continued to farm until 1879, when his health failed and he moved to Lyon County, where he bought 160 acres prairie land, on which Erastus worked and read law until the fall of 1881, when he went in the office of Almerin Gillet, of Emporia. He was admitted to the Bar in June, 1882, and commenced the practice of law in Emporia. He makes real estate a specialty and has a complete set of Abstract Books of Lyon County.
DANIEL HAMMOND was born in Dayton, Ohio, October 13, 1853. Came to Kansas withhis father, John Hammond, in 1857, and enjoys the honorable distinction of being the first boy upon the town site. He has ever since resided in Emporia. He holds the triple offices of Superintendent of the City Water Works, Street Commissioner and Chief of the Fire Department.
REV. JAMES T. HANNA, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in White County, Ill., December 10, 1831. His youth was spent in Henry County, Ill. He was educated at Mount Morris Seminary. In 1856, he held his first charge in the ministry, and for fifteen years continued in the Rock River Conference, Ill. Came to the Kansas Conference in 1871, and has since had charge of Wathena one year, Olathe one year, Paola one year, Wichita three years, Fort School two years, Ottawa - three years. and now with the Emporia Methodist Episcopal Church, which has just erected a beautiful and substantial stone church edifice costing about $20,000. He was married March 8, 1855, to Miss Lethie E. Cooper, and has had by this marriage four children - James T., Jr., John P., Mary L. and Newton A.
FERDINAND HAUSSLER, barber, was, born in New York City June 18, 1845. When eleven years of age he removed with his parents to Lewistown, Ill., where they resided four years, then removed to Springfield, Ill., where he remained until 1864, when he removed to St. Louis, Mo. He enlisted as Hospital Steward of the fifty-fifth Regiment Illinois Cavalry, in December, 1864, and was in service about six months, in Missouri. He then returned to St. Louis, where he resided until he came to Kansas in the summer of 1866. He located in Leavenworth, but after a residence of only three months, removed to Emporia, and opened a barber shop. In connection with his brother, Alex Haussler, who resides in St. Louis, he has built ten dwelling houses in Emporia, of which he still has seven, which he rents. He has also built a shop for his business, on Commercial street. He is a member of Emporia Lodge, No. 2. A. 0. U. W. He married Miss Mary E. DeCourcy of St. Louis, November 26, 1868 by which marriage he has had five children of whom Charles, Willie, and Nellie are living.
R. C. HAYWOOD, Government Contractor, came to Topeka in 1869, engaging in the furniture business. After continuing in that occupation one year, he removed to Emporia, where be resided three years. Mr. Haywood lived in Kansas City for nine years. In June, 1878, he engaged in the banking and mercantile business. He is further engaged in transportation in Kansas, Indian Territory, New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado, and supplies contracts for military posts in this region of the country, his business being extensive and ably managed. Mr. Haywood is a member of the A., F. & A. M . He is a native of East Jaffrey, N. H., moving to Chautauqua County, N. Y., twenty-seven years ago, and residing there until he came to Kansas. He is a graduate of Dartmouth College, class of 1867, and was married at Weld, Me., August 25, 1872, to May C. Newman, a native of that place. They have one child - Carl Benjamin.
JOSEPH HEIDRICH, architect, was born in Prussia September 17, 1842. He immigrated to America with his parents in 1846, who located in Galveston, Tex., whence his family removed, after a residence of about three years, to Cincinnati, Ohio. They resided in Cincinnati and the State of Indiana until Joseph was about twenty years of age, at which time he returned to Cincinnati, and, in 1866, removed to Minnesota, and remained until 1871, then returned again to Cincinnati, and from thence moved to Kansas in 1879. Mr. H. has given his attention to designing and building since the age of twenty, and since locating in Emporia in the spring of 1880, has planned many prominent buildings and elegant residences, among which may be mentioned St. Mary's Hospital, Republican Block, Catholic School Building, American Methodist Episcopal Church, Christian Church, buildings for W. T. Soden, D. S. Bills, Rice Bros, and many residences in Emporia and Florence. The buildings erected in 1882, from designs furnished by him, and of which he has had the supervision amounting to the value of $180,000. Among the residences are those of Fred E. Smith, G. H. Bonhain, Mrs. Moffatt, James Rolo (two cottages), G. P. Jones, Frank McCane, William H. Sissler, Mrs. Edwards, Rev. Mrs. Swemburger, Newton Stanford, Florence; A. M. Wright, Florence; T. Batty, Florence; Charles Loveless, Emporia; Joseph Spander, Emporia.
PHILIP J. HEILMAN, harnessmaker, was born in Germany, January 19, 1854; came to this country alone in 1856, locating in Ohio, where he learned the trade of harnessmaking and saddlery. He resided there until he came to Kansas, in 1872, locating in Emporia, where he has since resided and been engaged in the manufacture of saddles and harness, also in buying and shipping corn. He employs in his shop from six to eight men. Married Miss Nellie Wilcox, of Emporia, January 15, 1881, and has one child - Earl C., born December 5, 1881. He is a member of the First Congregational Church of Emporia.
JOHN HENNING was born in Utica, N. Y., June 21, 1849, where his youth was spent. In 1863 he removed to Lafayette, Ind., where he resided five years. In 1868 he went on the plains in the Indian Department of the Government as Cheyenne and Arapahoe Agency. He was six years in the Commissary Department. He came to Kansas in 1874, locating at Emporia and establishing a market, which he has continued to operate. He married Miss Cynthia J. Wessner, of Lyon County, July 30, 1871, at Agency, by which marriage he has had six children, of whom Nora A., Josephine E., Ida L., Clinton H., and an infant unnamed are living. He is a member of Damascus Lodge, No.11, K. of P.; also a member of Central Lodge, No. 781, K. of H.
CAPT. L. T. HERITAGE, cashier of Emporia National Bank, is a native of Shiloh, N. J., from which place he came to Emporia in August, 1857. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in Company H, Eighth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, which company he was instrumental in raising. He was subsequently Captain of Company C, Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battle of Prairie Grove, December 7, 1862, being discharged in the fall of 1863, on account of disability caused by wounds. He returned to Emporia but was unable to engage in active business until 1866. Capt. Heritage was County Treasurer one term, from 1868 to 1870.
WILLIAM W. HIBBEN, M. D., settled in Emporia, October 31, 1867, and has been engaged in practice here since that time. In 1869, in addition to his regular practice, he was associated with Dr. Jacobs in the drug business. He has been a member of the City Council for two terms and held the office of Coroner for one term. He was also Examining Surgeon for Pensions at Emporia for nine years, and is now President of the Board since its organization. He is a member of the State and Lyon County Medical Societies, and the A., F. & A. M., R. A. M., and Commandery K. T. Dr. Hibben was born in Uniontown, Fayette Co., Pa., April 7, 1825, and moved to Jamestown, with his parents in 1832, remaining there until he came to Emporia. He was educated in Jamestown, and received his medical education in the Ohio Medical College and in the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, from which he graduated In 1854. He commenced practice in Jamestown Greene Co., Ohio, but after a short time removed to Paintersville, in the same county, and one year later to Lumberton, Clinton Co., Ohio. which was his home until he came to Kansas. He was married in Paintersville, February 9, 1854, to Euphema A. Watson, a native of Bucks County, Pa. They have seven children - John Harry, Charles H., William D. and George W., twins, Mamie, Ralph, and Jennie.
THEODORE E. HICKS was born in Wayne County, Mich., September 12, 1820. When thirteen years of age he went to Chicago with the military expedition of Major Sibley, and remained there a year. He then joined a party of laborers, and went with them down the Fox River to the Illinois, and from LaSalle to St. Louis by boat. After three years spent in St. Louis, he returned to his home in Michigan, where he resided two years. He then removed to Dixon, Ill., where he engaged in the boot and shoe business, in which he continued until his enlistment in Company A, Sixteenth United States Infantry, for the Mexican war. He was mustered into the service at Cairo, in June, 1846, and ordered to Tox-Carlton barracks, New Orleans. From there the regiment went to the Rio Grande under General Taylor, participating in the battle of Chepultepec, Monterey, and Buena Vista. After the latter battle he was discharged in December, 1848, and returned to Dixon. In the spring of 1849 he crossed the plains to California, being 105 days on the journey, and remained there, engaged in mining, three years. He then returned, married, and settled in Dixon, where he was engaged in real estate business until February, 1859, when he came to Kansas. He first located a claim in Douglas County, but owing to troubles there, he abandoned this claim in the spring of 1857, and came to Lyon County, taking a claim of 160 acres in Sections 3 and 4, Township 17, Range 11. In May, 1859, he went to Colorado and engaged in mining operations, on Clear Creek. In the fall of the same year he returned to his farm, which he continued to operate until 1864, when he sold it and bought another farm in Waterloo Township, Lyon County. He continued farming until 1876, when he rented his farm for four years, and once more turned his attention to mining operations, in which he has since been engaged, in the Territories of Dakota, Montana, New Mexico and around Arizona. He has interests in mines in Arizona Territory, which will be developed in 1883. Mr. Hicks is one of the best known, as he is one of the oldest settlers of Lyon County, and has taken an active part in promoting the development and prosperity of the State and County interests. He married Mrs. Sarah C. Wood, of Dixon, Ill., March 24, 1852. She was a widow with two children, of whom Martin D. is living and at present is general manager of the Western Union Telegraph Company, at Kansas City. Mr. Hicks has by this marriage four children, Jesse E., Elizabeth J., married to Prof. O. B. Wharton, of Emporia, Millin S., and William B., all living.
AUGUSTIN A. HICOX, farmer, Section 30, Township 19, Range 11, P. 0. Emporia, was born in New Haven County., Conn., November 4, 1822. He received a common school education in his native county, in which he resided until after attaining his majority. In 1845 he located in Steuben County, N. Y., where he engaged in farming, in which he continued until the spring of 1856, when he sold his farm and came to Kansas. He landed at Leavenworth April 3, and a few days later took a claim of 160 acres, on the Delaware Indian Trust Lands, situated at the head of Crooked Creek, in Jefferson County. He built a small house on this claim, but made no other improvements, and in the following spring he sold the claim and removed to Lyon, then Breckinridge County, and took a claim of 160 acres, situated on the south bank of the Cottonwood River, about five miles southwest of Emporia. This farm he began at once to improve, and he has since purchased forty acres additional, but has now only 122 acres in his farm, having deeded his two sons forty acres each. His farm is well improved, having upon it a good dwelling, barn, and other farm buildings. In August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company C, Eleventh Regiment, Kansas Volunteers, was promoted to Sergeant, participated in all the engagements in which his company took part, and was mustered out at Fort Riley in 1865. He then resumed the operation of his farm, in which he has since continued. He raises some cattle and hogs, feeding most of his crop to his own stock. He is a member of Pheanis Creek Grange, No. 617, P. of H. He is now servinghis second year as Justice of the Peace of Emporia Township. He married Miss Harriet Smith, of Bath, Steuben Co., N. Y., April 16, 1848, by which marriage he has had seven children, of whom Charles E., William H., and Mary E. (married to Ervin L. Bumbee, and residing upon the home farm), are now living.
ANDREW HINSHAW, farmer, Section 18, Township 19, P. 0. Emporia, was born in Randolph County., N. C., January 10, 1829. When less than two years old his parents removed to Hamilton County, Ind., where Mr. Hinshaw was raised and resided until he came to Kansas, in December, 1856. He located in Lyon County, and in February, 1857, took a claim of 160 acres just east of the present city limits of Emporia. He continued to farm this land until 1869, when he traded the east half of the quarter section for 150 acres of land about two and one-half miles east of town. Upon this farm he has erected a fine brick dwelling house, a large frame barn and other outhouses. Has an orchard of 400 appletrees, 400 peachtrees, 100 cherrytrees, 20 peartrees, and a number of smaller fruits. Has had fresh peaches three months of the year for last three years. Has put in a windmill, and would not do without it for twice its cost. Besides the home farm of 150 acres, Mr. Hinshaw has 120 acres about two miles east of the same, of which one-half is now farmed by his son. S. C. Hinshaw and the balance by his other son, J. C. Hinshaw, and twenty-seven acres remaining of the old claim he took in 1857. He gave ten acres to the M. K. & T. R. R. Co., and five acres to the A.. T. & S. F. R. R. Co. He married January 7, 1857, Miss Sarah Ann Hiatt daughter of Curtis Hiatt who came to Kansas from Hamilton County, lnd., in May, 1856, and they have eight children, four boys and four girls, all of whom are living. The family are members of the Society of Friends.
FRED W. HIRTH, furniture dealer, was born in Prussia, September 26, 1838. Came to this country in 1851, with his parents, and located in Dodge County, Wis. Went to Watertown in 1853, and learned the trade of cabinetmaker, remaining in Wisconsin until 1859, when he came to Kansas, locating in Lyon County, February, l860, settled in Emporia, which place he has since called his home. Enlisted in 1861, as a private in the Second Kansas Regiment, Company H. Participated in the battles of Forsythe, Dug Springs, and Wilson's Creek. Was wounded in the latter action, August 10, 1862, and discharged November 19, 1861. Returned to Emporia and remained until August, 1862, when he re-enlisted in Company C, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Infantry, as Second Sergeant. Participated in the battles of old Fort Wayne, Cane Hill and Prairie Grove, in the last of which he had a narrow escape, a rifle bullet going through his cap and just grazing his head. Was also in several skirmishes with bushwhackers. Was mustered out with the company, August 17, 1865. Returned to Emporia and started in business, in the manufacturing of furniture, and continued in this until 1880. Has since been engaged in the supervision of the erection of the Masonic Temple at Emporia. Is secretary of the I. O. O. F., Lodge and Scribe of Emporia, Encampment No. 17. Is also secretary of Emporia Lodge No. 12, A., F. & A. M., and of Emporia Chapter No. 12, R. A. M. Married Miss Sarah F. Morrison of Emporia, May 27, 1868.
JAMES H. HOLMES was born in Wayne County. Mich., May 28, 1839. His early life was spent in Michigan. In August, 1857, he came to Kansas, locating at Emporia, then a town of four houses. He remained about a year then went to California. In September, 1861, he enlisted as a private in the First Regiment, California Cavalry. He served three years, mostly in New Mexico, Arizona Territory and Texas. Participated in the battles at Val Verdi, Apache Canon, and in many skirmishes. He was detailed from his company, twenty-eight months, acting as vidette under orders of Gen. Carleton. Was mustered out in September, 1864. He then came to Kansas and after a residence of two years at Leavenworth returned to Emporia, where he has since resided. He engaged in carpentering and building for different firms, and in 1879, started contracting and building firms for Holmes & Jillson. He is a member of Emporia Lodge, No. 12, A., F. & A. M.
VAN R. HOLMES, settled in Emporia Township, in September, 1857, and engaged in farming and stock raising, which he carried on for three years. He then came to Emporia City and engaged mercantile business, continuing it until January, 1868, under firm name of Caterson & Holmes. After being out of active business one year, he commenced the real estate business in which he is now engaged. Mr. Holden having been associated with him for the last six years, Mr. Holmes is director of the Kansas City & Emporia railroad Company, and St. Louis & Emporia Railroad Company, being secretary of both organizations. He is a native of Arcadia, Columbia Co., N. Y. In 1932, he moved from that State to Kansas when it was a Territory, being one of the first Justices of the Peace on its admission as a State. He is now a commissioner for sale of Normal School Lands. Mr. H. is a member of of A., F. & A. M., K. of H. and A. O. U. W. He was married in Strugis, Mich., in 1854, to Sarah C. Pearsall, a native of Genesee, N. Y., who died in 1872, leaving one son, Clarence. He was again married in Emporia, to Jennie Crowe, who died March, 1878, leaving three children, Robert, Thomas, and Harry. He was married in Jacksonville, Ill., to Atelia Rawlings, his present wife, October 7, 1880. Mrs. Holmes is a native of New York City, and reared in Jacksonville, Ill.
MAJOR C. HOOD, came to Emporia in March, 1872, and has been engaged in the cattle trade for the last ten years leaving driven and handled fully 50,000 head of cattle in that period. He has a ranch in Texas, and is now handling about 5,000 head. He is interested in the Emporia & Kansas City Railroad, being a director and vice-president. He is a native of Erie, Pa., but lived at Strugiss, Mich., from the age of eight years until he came to Kansas, engaged in the mercantile business most of the time.
JAMES HUBER, P. O. Emporia, was born in Mechanicsburg, Pa., July 25, 1842. His early life was spent in Pennsylvania. He enlisted as private in Company E, Eighty-seventh Pennsylvania Regiment, September, 1861, and was assigned to what was known as the Cheat Mountain Division. Served in West Virginia, participated in battles of f Winchester and many other skirmishes. Was afterwards transferred to Third Corps. Participated in the battle of Mine Run. Transferred to Sixth Corps when the army was reorganize, and participated in all the battles of the Army of the Potomac, in 1864 from the Rappahannock to Petersburg. Then went to the Shenandoah Valley with Sheridan. Was in the commissary department during part of the time. Was mustered out at York, Pa., in October, 1864. Went to Logan County, Ill., and started in the butcher business, where he resided fifteen years. He came to Kansas, in June 1881, locating at Emporia. Started in market business on Commercial Street, corner of Fourth avenue, firm of Funk & Huber. Married Miss Fannie Morris, of Logan County, Ill., December 3, 1865. By this marriage has four children, Libbie, Morris, Katie, and Della.
JOHN M. HYDE, farmer, Section 1, Township 19, P. O. Emporia, was born in Pekin, Ill., August 27, 1841. When two years old his parents removed to Memphis, Tenn., where they remained fourteen years. His father, John O. Hyde, was an outspoken anti-slavery man, and his sentiments provoked the hostility of the slavery element, who burned his carpenter shop, machinery and tools. Finding the country too warm for him he removed from the slave State to Kansas, in the spring of 1857, and was one of the early settlers of Emporia Township. He bought a claim of 160 acres for $100. This he continued to farm until his death, in 1879. John M. continued on the farm until August, 1862, when he enlisted as a private in Company E, Eleventh Kansas Regiment. He participated in all the battles and engagements in which the regiment took part. Was mustered out at Fort Riley, in August, 1865, and returned to the home, upon which he has resided. He has an orchard of about 250 apple, 100 cherry and twenty pear trees.
NAPOLEON B. IRELAND, grocer, was born in Ritchie County, W. Va., March 11, 1848. During the Rebellion he was enrolled in the Ritchie County Home Guards, armed and uniformed by the General Government, and experienced exciting times, the Rebel forces and guerrilla bands making several raids into the county. In 1865 he removed to Edgar County, Ill., and engaged in farming, also teaching school part of the time until 1869, when he came to Kansas, locating in Lyon County; taught country school and worked on a farm for a year, then removed to Emporia and entered the service of Wicks & Mays Grocers, with whom he remained four years, then entered the employ of A. A. Baker & Co., wholesale grocers, and continued in their employ five years. In June, 1879, began in business for himself, and now has one of the largest retail grocery establishments in Emporia, located on Commercial Street; was a member of the City Council in 1881 and 1882. Married Miss Carrie Rawson, of Emporia, September 8, 1874, and by this marriage has three children, Nellie, Emory C., and Howard.
WILLIAM R. IRWIN, druggist, was born in Berks County, Pa., October 22, 1855. When ten years of age he removed, with his parents, to Columbus, Ohio, was educated in the public schools of Ohio in which State he resided until the fall of 1879, when he came to Kansas, located in Emporia, and, in connection with O. T. Trimble, bought the drug store located in the postoffice building. They have since increased the business from a small beginning to a large trade, and the firm now ranks with the best in their line in the city. Mr. Irwin is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a member of Union Lodge No. 15, I. O. O. F.