|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (FEIGHAN - GRIFFITH).
J. W. FEIGHAN, County Attorney, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., April 5, 1845. When a child he went to Ohio with his parents and located in Butler County. In August, 1862, he enlisted In Company K, Eighty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving until July, 1865, afterward discharged as Second Lieutenant. He passed through all the battles in which the Second Division of the Fifteenth Army Corps, to which he belonged, took part. In 1866, Mr. Feighan entered Miami University at Oxford Ohio, graduating June 27, 1870. He then moved to Owensboro, Ky., and studied law, entering the Senior class at the Cincinnati Law School in the fall of 1871, graduating in April, 1872. He entered Into practice at Rockport, Ind., publishing also the Rockport Republican for one year, and forming a law partnership with George L. Reinhard. From 1873 to 1880 he practiced at Owensboro, Ky. In March, 1880. he came to Emporia, and has been a partner of J. Jay Buck since April of that year. In November, 1882, Mr. Feighan was elected County Attorney of Lyon County. In 1876, he was on the Republican Electoral Ticket, and was a candidate for Congress in 1878. Mr. Feighan was married at Owensboro, October 9, 1872, to Fanny T. Moore, a native of Jefferson County, Ky. They have three children living - Katie M., Frank M., and an infant daughter named Susie. Mr. F. is a Royal Arch Mason. K. of P., and post commander of the G. A. R. He is of Irish parentage.
WILLIAM O. FERGUSON, carpenter and builder, was born in Preble County, Ohio, April 17, 1831. When seven years old he moved with parents to Indiana, in which State he resided fourteen years. Then returned to Ohio, and remained three years. Then started for the West. Remained in Iowa two years, whence he journeyed by wagon to Kansas. Entered this State March 27, 1857. Camped in the brush on the spot where now stands the city of Leavenworth. Passed through Lawrence and located two and one-miles north of Topeka on the Delaware Reservation. Remained there but a short time, and in August removed to Emporia and pre-empted a claim of 160 acres. Sold his claim shortly after, and until the breaking out of the Rebellion worked at his trade, that of carpenter and builder. December 26, 1861, enlisted in the Ninth Kansas Cavalry Regiment and served on the frontier eighteen months. Participated in one battle with the Ute Indians and several skirmishes. Once carried a dispatch from Fort Halleck to Fort Laramie, 116 miles in thirty-nine hours in the cold of winter. The company came back to Kansas after the Quantrell raid, and was stationed near Lawrence about four months. Then went to Arkansas, where Mr. F. was taken sick with fever. Was discharged for disability November 27, 1864, at Jefferson Barracks, Mo. Returned to Emporia, and in the spring of 1865, he went into the grocery business, as a member of the firm of Frederick, Ferguson & Edwards. Continued business over a year, then the firm was changed to Ferguson & Ely. Six months after Mr. Ferguson sold his interest to Ely. Clerked one year for Holderman Bros., then started a grocery and bakery on the corner of Commercial street and Seventh avenue. Continued in this business until 1880,when he sold out, and has since been engaged in building. Mr. F. is a member of the Christian Church of Emporia, a member of Post 55, G. A. R. also of Emporia Lodge No. 2, A. 0. U. W. Married Miss Catharen Stack, of Emporia, August 18, 1867, and by this marriage has two children - Lou Etty and Daisy Dutton, both living.
I. D. FOX came to Emporia in 1869, and the following year engaged in the book and stationery business in partnership with Mrs. E. Trask, adding piano, organ and music merchandise to the business in 1875. From 1878 to the fall of 1880 he was a partner with D. Thomas & Co., dry goods merchant, and in the spring of 1881 the firm of I. D. Fox & Co., engaged in the jewelry business. Mr. Fox has a stock ranch on the Neosho River in Americus Township, having 130 head of hogs and 100 head of other stock. He is a native of Batavia, Genesee Co., N. Y., born January 3,1845. Prior to his removal to Kansas he had lived in Monroe, Chenango and Wayne counties, N. Y., emigrating from the latter. He was married in Peru, Ind., November 16, 1876, to Ella M. Trask. Mr. and Mrs. Fox buried one child in 1881, Ethel Clara, aged four years. Mr. Fox settled on a farm near Carbondale, Osage County. In 1860, when he first arrived in Kansas, where he resided until he came to Emporia In 1869. His father, Jared W. Fox, still lives in Carbondale. Mrs. E. Trask, partner of Mr. Fox, and widow of Edward Trask, who was killed at the battle of Springfield, was for twelve years postmistress. Mr. and Mrs. Trask were early settlers of Butler County, Kansas.
GEORGE W. FREDERICK was born of Virginia and Kentucky parentage, in the State of Indiana, March 22, 1833; moved from that State to Kansas in the fall of 1857; came through with his family (wife and two children) with a team, consequently saw some of the Pro-slavery excitement in the State of Missouri. He settled near Emporia, on his arrival, on a claim of 160 acres, and in the spring of 1858 bought another eighty-three and one-half miles southeast of the town and improved it. The same spring he was elected Treasurer of (then) Madison County, but never qualified. In 1859 he engaged in the general mercantile trade in Emporia, and in 1861 removed back to his farm and engaged in farming and in the cattle business until 1865, when he moved back to the town and went into the mercantile business again, and with it, to some extent, the real estate and general agency business, and in 1874 he was elected Clerk of the District Court, which position he retained for six years. At the organization of the town into a city government he was a member for two years of the City Council, after which he was elected city Treasurer, which position he held for three terms. In 1861 he was enrolled in the State Militia and was elected Lieutenant in a company of the town; was called out in the Price raid, several Indian raids, and other excitements during the late war, and in 1881 he went to Colorado in the interest and to superintend the working of the coal and silver mines of the La Veta Coal and Mining Company, of which he is a member, being there seven months on that occasion, and during the same summer, in connection with Senator Harlin, of Iowa, and others, organized the Whale Consolidated Gold and Silver Mining Company, with their principal office and property at La Veta, Col. Late in the same fall he again went into the mercantile business, and in the summer of 1882 assisted in organizing and put his mercantile interest into the Emporia Mercantile Company, and was elected president and general manager, which position he now holds In connection with his favorite and continued general agency business.
JOHN FUNK was born in Pontiac, Ill., October 24, 1842. His early life was spent in Illinois. He enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Illinois Regiment, August, 1862, and served three years in the Army of the Tennessee. Was in the battles in which that army took part, and was wounded at Peach Tree Creek, July 20, 1864, which disabled him from further service. Was mustered out with regiment Washington, D. C., In 1865, Returned to Livingston County. Ill., and engaged in farming, in which he continued until the spring of 1876, when he removed to Kansas, locating at Emporia. He farmed until February, 1880, when he started in the market business, firm of Brewer & Funk, which continued to do business eight months, when Brewer retired and Mr. Huber was taken into the firm, now Funk & Huber. The market is located on corner of Fourth avenue and Commercial street. Does a large business. Married Miss Henrietta Schaub, of Pontiac, April 10, 1870, and by this marriage has had seven children, six of whom are living. He is a member of Emporia Lodge, No. 2. A. 0. U. W.
JAMES GALLAGHER master mechanic, was born in Lowell, Mass., November 17,1832. When about ten years of age he moved with his parents to Tariffville, Conn., where he resided seven years. He then returned to Massachusetts, and learned the trade of a machinist. Remained in Massachusetts until 1852, when he shipped for a three year whaling voyage. In 1855 he located in Elmira, N. Y., and entered mercantile life. Was in the grocery business there until 1862, when he enlisted in the naval service as Yeoman of the United States gunboat Alabama. Had charge of all stores and supplies. Remained in the service until 1865, when he went to, Illinois and worked at his trade four years. He came to Kansas in 1869, locating first at Lawrence, where he worked at his trade one year. He then removed to Morris County, and took a claim of 160 acres in Elm Creek Township. Has improved this claim by the erection of a commodious dwelling house, large barn, granary, corrals, and other necessary buildings. Has made an orchard of ten acres, containing all varieties of fruit trees, berries, nuts, etc. Has about forty head of cattle, twenty-five hogs, and horses to work the farm. Hiring help to cultivate his farm, he removed to Emporia in 1881, since which time he has held the position of master machinist at the Emporia shops of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. Co. Mr. Gallagher is a member of the First Christian Church of Emporia, member of the Lawrence Lodge, No. 18. I. 0. 0. F., member of Emporia Lodge, No. 2, A. 0. U. W., and of Lodge No. 2. S. K. He married Miss Mary E. Barrett, of Elmira, N. Y., November 21, 1856, by which marriage he has four children - Theodore S. (now principal of the Eureka schools), George B., Benjamin J. (now principal of the schools at White City) and Mary.
N. W. GILCHRIST came to Emporia in February, 1870, and after working at his trade as a carpenter, he engaged for six years in the timber business. Since that time he has been engaged in the livery business, he and brothers William H. and John S. being associated. Mr. Gilchrist was born in Adamsburg, Westmoreland Co., Pa., February 15,1849, living there until he was nine years of age. He then moved to a point about one-half a mile east of Greensburg, where he remained two years. Residing in Westmoreland County until he was seventeen years of age, he went to Allegheny County, Pa., where he served his apprenticeship as a carpenter. Mr. Gilchrist is a member of A. 0. U. W., K. of P., and K. of H. He was married in Emporia, to Jennie Jay. She died in August, 1877, leaving one child, Gertrude Jane. His present wife, Hattie Shaw, is a native of Urbana, Ill.
ALMERIN GILLETT, attorney at law, located in Emporia in May, 1866, and has been engaged in the practice of his profession in the city since that time. He was born in Victor, Ontario Co., N. Y., July 24, 1838, and removed at the age of three years, with his parents, to Walworth County, Wis., where he remained until, he entered the State University at Madison, from which he graduated in the class of 1861. He then commenced reading law with Abbott, Gregory & Pinney. He soon received a commission to recruit a company, and raised Company D, Twentieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, of which he was elected Captain. He was mustered into service in August, 1862, and served until July, 1865, being commissioned Major of his regiment before leaving the service. After the close of the war, he returned to Madison and read law with Hon. William F. Vilas, and was admitted to the bar in December, 1865, remaining in Madison until he came to Kansas, in the spring of 1866. Since his residence in Emporia he has served four years as County Attorney, and four years as Representative to the State Senate. For the past four years he has been extensively engaged in real estate operations, and in farming and stock-raising, having, in 1882, 1,600 acres of corn farms in Lyon County, and a 5,000 acre ranch in Greenwood County. Mr. Gillett was married. August 17, 1868, in Madison, Wis., to Eugenia C. Chapman, a native of Geauga County. Ohio, by whom he has three children - Fannie Ray, Kittie May, and Mary Eugenia. Mr. G. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and K. of H.
JUDGE CHARLES B. GRAVES, has been engaged in the practice of his profession, that of a lawyer, since 1869. He read law in Burlington, Coffey County, with Judge H. N. Bent. He has been County Attorney of Coffey County, and City Attorney for the cities of Neosho Falls and Burlington. He was elected Judge of the Fifth Judicial District, in 1880, and still holds that position. Judge Graves came to Kansas, with his parents, in 1859, and located with them in Woodson County, where his father Pusey Graves still resides; In 1861, he enlisted in Captain Goss' Company of the Iola Battalion, which afterwards formed a part of the Ninth Kansas Cavalry. He was a non-commissioned officer, and served with his company in Missouri and Arkansas, until February, 1865, when he was mustered out. After his discharge he resided in Leavenworth County, until 1866, when he return to Woodson County, and engaged in farming for one year. In 1868 he commenced reading law in Burlington. In 1869, he was admitted to the bar, and returned to Woodson County, where he engaged in the practice, and remained there until 1876, when he located in Burlington, and has practiced his profession since, until he was elected Judge in 1880. Judge Graves was born near Richmond, in Wayne County, Ind., November 13, 1841, and lived there until 1851, when he removed to Fulton County, Ill., where he remained until he came to Kansas in 1859. Judge Graves was married in 1872 to Hattie S. Hawkins, a native of Indiana. She came to Kansas in 1857, with her parents and settled in Greenwood County, at which time she was seven years of age. She graduated at the State Normal school at Emporia in 1870. They have four children - Ortin H., Stella, Hugh C., and Scott S. The Judge is commended highly in his district for his legal and judicial ability.
J. M. GRIFFITH located in Lawrence, Kansas, in December, 1865. There he engaged in the hardware business until he came to Emporia in January, 1870; until the fall of 1882 he followed the same line of business. When Mr. Griffith first came to Emporia his trade extended as far west and south as there were any settlements. He was born in Lafayette, Ind., October 8, 1840, and resided in Indiana until he came to Kansas. For three years during the War of the Rebellion he served in the Sixth Indiana Calvary, enlisting in July, 1862, and being mustered out in June, 1865. He was married near Georgetown, Vermillion Co., Ill., September 5, 1865, to Margaret H. Alexander, who was born in Bucks County, Pa., near Philadelphia. They have four children - Wm. A., James H., Esther B., and George D. From January, 1879, to January, 1882, Mr. Griffith was a member of the Board of County Commissioners. He is president of the Lyon County Mutual Loan Association, organized June 24, 1878, and has held that office ever since. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and the Knights of Honor.
JOHN R. GRIFFITH, farmer, Section 29, Township 19, Range 11. P. O. Emporia, was born March 12, 1825, in Montgomeryshire, North Wales. Came to the United States with his parents in 1846, locating first at Cincinnati, Ohio. He was engaged as foreman in railway construction for about four years on the Dayton & Michigan and the Hamilton & Dayton Railroads. Came from Ohio to Kansas in the spring of 1855, locating about seven miles south of Lawrence, when he took a claim of 160 acres. which he afterwards pre-empted. This land he improved and cultivated until the fall of 1861, making of it a good farm. He then sold it and removed to Lyon County, and bought eighty acres of unimproved land, situated about three miles southwest of Emporia. The following year he bought eighty acres adjoining, and has since bought and sold different parcels of land in the county. He now has in the home farm 285 acres, upon which he has a substantial stone dwelling, good barn and other farm buildings and an orchard of about 200 appletrees, besides other fruits. He raises cattle and hogs, feeding most of his crops to his own stock. While in Douglas County he carried a rifle, without pay, for two years and turned out several times to repel the invasions of the border ruffians, serving at different times under John Brown and Jim Lane. He preserves his discharge papers from the "Wakarusa Liberty Guards," of the First Regiment Kansas Volunteers, dated at Lawrence City, December 12, 1855, signed by H. F. Sanders, Captain; and countersigned by Lyman Allen, Colonel First Regiment; J. H. Lane, General First Brigade Kansas Volunteers; and C. Robinson, Major-General. Mr. Griffith is a member of the Baptist Church. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace of Emporia Township one year and has been a member of the School Board several years, and held other local offices. He married Miss Elizabeth Rodgers, of Cincinnati, Ohio, January 29, 1848, by which marriage he had eight children, of whom Ann and William R. are now living. She died March 29, 1868, and he married, July 4, 1869, Miss Mary Evans, of Gallia County, Ohio, by whom he has one child - Evan R., born March 30, 1871.