|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (CARMICHAEL - EWING).
PROF. P. J. CARMICHAEL superintendent of schools, was born March 15, 1836, in Livingston County, N. Y. Lived in New York State until he came to Kansas in 1869. Received an academic and partial college course of education at Brockport Collegiate Institute. N. Y. First taught in schools of New York State in 1855. Went to Buffalo in 1864 and took charge of the scientific department of the high school. After one year in the high school, took charge of a select school in Buffalo, supported by the most prominent and wealthy families of the city. Remained in charge of this school three years, and then removed to Kansas, locating at Leavenworth, where for two years he remained as principal of the high school. In 1871, when Emporia first assumed the rank of a city of the second class, Prof. C. was called there, and accepted the position and duties of superintendent of the city schools, which were then reorganized under the graded system. He was superintendent two years; then, in 1873, went to the Kansas State Normal School, and for three years held the professorship of mathematics. Removed to California In the fall of 1876, and had charge of the Nevada City Schools for two years. The climate of California not agreeing with his wife, he removed to Springfield. Ohio, in 1878, and for two years held the position of principal of the high school there. Upon urgent solicitation, he returned to Emporia in the fall of 1880, and reassumed the position of superintendent of schools, which he still holds. He was married to Miss Maggie M. Criley, of Emporia, June 11, 1874, and by this marriage has three children - Frank E., Willard L. and Edna R.
W. F. CHALFANT, register of deeds, was born in Harrisville, Harrison Co., Ohio, August 19, 1834. When about thirteen years of age his parents removed to Pennsylvania. At the Normal School, In Edenburg, Pa., he received his education, learning the printer's trade also. In 1860 he commenced publishing the Granville Argus, and in August of the next year enlisted In Company F. Sixty-first Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. At Fredricksburg, Va., June 3, 1863, he was shot through both lungs, and discharge, account of disability, October 19, 1863. From January, 1865, until nearly the close of the year he was in the Pay Department of the Army of the Gulf, headquarters at New Orleans. After leaving the army he settled in Conneaut Township, Crawford Co., Pa., engaging, to some extent, in the manufacture of lumber. Mr. Chalfant was elected Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas in 1866, and held that office three years from December 1st of that year. Before coming to Kansas he again published the Granville Argus for one year. He was married in Crawford County, Pa., June 6, 1861, to Martha F. Foster, who is a native of that county. They have four children living - William Foster, James D., Anna, and Grace - and have lost three.
Mr. Chalfant came to Osage County, January 27, 1872, and located at Burlingame. He published the Osage County Chronicle for seven years and then removing to Emporia, bought the Ledger, which he conducted in connection with job work and book binding. When he had published the Ledger for about three years he sold it to the Journal, and in 1881, having been elected Register of Deeds he disposed of his entire business to C. V. Eskridge. Mr. Chalfant is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. 0. 0. F., A. 0. U. W., K. of T., and G. A. R.
MILTON CHAMNESS, farmer. Section 33. Township 19. Range 11 east, P. O. Emporia, was born in Randolph County, N. C., September 26, 1826. He was raised upon a farm and when twenty-three years of age removed to Parke County, Ind., where he remained eight years. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1856, and in the fall of that year took a claim of 160 acres on Dry Creek, about three-miles southwest of Emporia, which he commenced at once to improve and upon which he has continued since to reside. He has since purchased 320 acres south of and adjoining his original farm, eighty acres of unimproved land in Pike Township, and he also owns 120 acres of unimproved land in Pike Township. He has built a commodious residence, large barn and other necessary farm buildings. His principal crop is corn. He also raises some cattle and hogs. He is a member of the Society of Friends. August 7, 1858, he married Miss Asenath C. Rich, of Hamilton County, Ind., by which marriage he has two children - Al and Lester. She died October 18, 1862, and August 6, 1863, he married Mrs. Asenath Cox, of Pike Township. The latter died January 10, 1883.
H. J. CLARKE, Insurance agent, was born in Lindsey. Ont., September 5, 1859, of Irish Parents. In 1868 he moved to Iowa where he remained several years. During past seven years he has been in the insurance business and is now representing the Burlington Insurance Company, and the German, of Freeport, Iowa. He came to Kansas in the summer of 1882. locating at Emporia. He is a member of the Catholic Church.
CHARLES W. CLEAVER, was born in New York City, June 29, 1853. When seven years old removed to Missouri and resided in Shelby County during the war; afterwards removed to Hannibal, where he learned the art of telegraphy. He was a year in Minnesota as telegraph operator and station agent on the Northern Pacific R. R. in 1872 he came to Kansas, locating at Topeka, where he remained about eight months as assistant train dispatcher of the A. T. & S. F.; was then transferred to the Newton Station, where he held the same position for about a year and a half. In 1875 he was sent to Emporia and for some time was railroad operator and manager of the Western Union Telegraph Company's business. Since the increase of business and the establishment of an office in the business center of the town he has been manager of the business office of the Western Union Telegraph Company. Married Miss Emma Bailey, of Emporia, November 8, 1877. He is a member of Emporia Commandery. No. 8. K. T., of which he is now captain general.
REV. RICHARD CORDLEY, D. D., Pastor First Congressional Church, was born in Nottinghamshire, England, September 6, 1929. Came to this country with his parents in 1833, locating in Livingston County, Mich., where his youth was spent. His preparatory studies were made at Ann Arbor Classical School under Rev. Daniel Wilkens; graduated from the State University of Michigan, 1854, and entered Andover Theological Seminary, Mass., from which he graduated in 1857. Came to Kansas in the fall of 1857 Lawrence. Preached his first sermon as Pastor of the Plymouth Church on the first Sabbath in December, 1857. The membership of the church at that time was only twenty-one or twenty-two and a large part of the pastor's support was supplied by the American Home Missionary Society. Dr. Cordley remained as pastor of the Plymouth Church eighteen years and left it with a membership of over 400. During his pastorage two quite marked revivals were experienced. The first, in 1867, when about 100 were added to the membership. The second, in 1872, added about 175, of whom sixty-nine were baptized in one day. A fine and substantial church was built at a cost of about $45,000 and dedicated in May, 1870. At the time of the Quantrell raid in Lawrence, which occurred on the 21st of August, 1868, the residence of Dr. Cordley, with all its contents, was burned, making a loss to him of more than $3,000, about one-half of which was made up by contributions of friends and churches in the East. He and Rev. Lewis Bodwell, who had stopped with him for the night, narrowly escaped death. When they discovered that the raiders were in town and the main street on fire, they closed the house and watched the movements of the enemy; but when a gang of six ruffians rode up to the house from the opposite side of the street they decided to wait no longer. Dr. Cordley taking his little girl in his arms and Mrs. Cordley the arm of Mr. Bodewell they walked through the back gate and along the street very deliberately. In full view of the raiders, but providentially they were not noticed, and as soon as possible concealed themselves behind some favoring bushes and escaped to the woods. The well-known reputation of both these brethren as Abolitionists would have sealed their fate had they been discovered in their flight. For two years subsequent to their raid, which was so disastrous to the people in the town, Dr. Cordley took his turn with other citizens of Lawrence in standing guard over the town. In 1875 Dr. Cordley removed to Flint, Mich., where he remained for three years as pastor of the First Congregational Church. Returned to Kansas in 1878, located at Emporia as pastor of the first Congregational Church of that place with a membership of eighty-one. During his pastorate the membership increased to about 150. A beautiful and substantial church edifice has been erected at a cost of about $13,000, with seating capacity for 600; dedicated January 9, 1881. Dr. Cordley was a member of the School Board in Lawrence for six years, Member of the School Board of Emporia four years and Clerk of the Board three years. He was Regent of the State Agricultural College eight years. Has been a Trustee of Washburn College since its foundation, a period of twenty-two years. Married Miss Mary A. Cox. of Livingston County, Mich., May 19, 1839. They have one child - Maggie, who is married to William E. Griffith and resides in Lawrence.
CHARLES S. CROSS, is a native of Clark County, Ohio; he moved to Iowa, March 4, 1858, and spent one winter there before coming to Kansas. Early in 1866, he came to Emporia, and received his education in the schools of that enterprising young city. He has been connected with the First National Bank for about four years, as acting cashier since January 1, 1881, and as cashier since November 1, 1881. He has virtually performed the duties of cashier since the death of Mr. Hurst, in 1878. Mr. Cross was married In Lawrence, Kan., June 1, 1880, to Miss Kate S. Smeed, a native of Catawissa, Pa.
H. C. CROSS, is a native of Springfield, Ohio, but left that State in the fall of 1884, and in one winter at Marshalltown, Iowa, before coming to Emporia, in the spring of 1865. He was engaged in the practice of law until 1870. Mr. Cross was the first Mayor of the city of Emporia receiving all the votes but fourteen, and was Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners at an early day. He is a director in the M. K. & T. R. R. also a director in the K. C. E. & S. R. R.. a branch of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. President of the K. C. & Emporia R. R.; President of the S. L. Louis & E. R. R.; President of the First National Bank of Emporia, Kan.; President of the Emporia Loan and Trust Company and President of the Kansas Missouri Coal and Land Company.
A. F. CROWE, came to Kansas, In May, 1857, with his father, who was one of the original members of the town company of Topeka. In the fall of 1857 he removed to Forest Hill, Lyon County, where he remained one year and then came to Emporia. His son, A. F. Crowe, lived there until 1871, when he went onto a stock farm In Greenwood Count following this occupation for six years. His war record consists of good service in the Eighth, Second and Ninth Kansas Cavalry Regiments, from August, 1861, to November, 1864. These regiments were detailed for duty in the Rocky Mountains, and were eighteen months at Forts Halleck and Laramie. The command, with which he was connected, built the former fort Mr. Crowe has been associated with J. S. Watson (with whom he enlisted in the army) in the coal, lime and wood business. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and A. 0. U. W. Mr. Crowe was born on the north side of the Bay of Fundy. N. S., January 27, 1846. When he was three years of age his parents removed to Massachusetts, residing in Boston until they came to Kansas. He was married in Greenwood County, Kan., October, 1872, to Sophia Bennett, a native of Springfield, Ill. They have three children - Thomas B., George F., and Laura I.
JOSEPH F. CULVER, lawyer, was born in Carlisle, Pa., November 3, 1834. His early life was spent in Pennsylvania. He was educated at Dickinson College, Carlisle. Read law one year with W. J. Shearer. two winters with Judge Jeffries, of Tooster, Ohio, and with Judge Duff, of Ponciac. Ill., one year. In July, 1862, he joined Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Illinois, as First Lieutenant, and served in the Army of the Cumberland three years; was promoted to Captain, May, 1864. He participated in all the battles and engagements of the army from Resaca, Ga., to the march to Washington. Was mustered out at Washington in June, 1865. He returned to Pontiac, Ill., and was admitted to the bar and practiced until November, 1965, when he was elected County Judge of Livingston County, which office he held four years. He then went into the banking business, of J. F. Culver & Bro., which was changed upon the death of the latter, in October, 1874, to J. F. Culver & Co. Ceased business in March, 1679, and in July, 1879, came to Kansas, locating at Emporia where he resumed the practice of law. In April, 1881, he was elected Justice of the Peace, which office he still holds. He married Miss Mary M. Murphy, of Pontiac, December 12, 1861, and by this marriage has had seven children, of which Howard D., Marian A., Chester M., Hattie M., and Grace are living. He is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Emporia; is a member of Emporia Commandery, No. 8, K. T.; of Emporia Encampment No. 17, I. O. O. F., of Central Lodge No. 781, K. of H. He was a Trustee of the State Reform School of Illinois for ten years.
HON. E. W. CUNNINGHAM, attorney-at-law, has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Emporia, since July, 1869, having located in that place on the 6th of the month. He was associated for the first six months with W. W. Williams, real estate agent, attending to the law business of the firm; was afterwards with J. Jay Buck about two years; then in partnership with Judge Miller about a year, alone again for two years, and since November, 1876, has been in partnership with W. T, McCarty. He was elected Probate Judge in the fall of 1872 and re-elected to that office in 1874 and 1876, prior to this time having been Police Judge. He has also served on the Board of Education several years. Judge Cunningham was born in Clarksfield, Huron Co., Ohio, August 1, 1842. He attended Baldwin University at Berea, Ohio, and pursued his studies at Hillsdale, Mich., graduating in 1866. He read law with his brother in Urbana, Ill.; was admitted to the bar in June, 1869, and commenced practice in Emporia. He enlisted in July, 1862, in Company D. One Hundred and First Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he served until he was discharged for the purpose of being appointed Hospital Steward at the General Hospital, No. 8, at Louisville, where he remained one year. Prior to his removal to Kansas he had been engaged in teaching at Urbana, studying law at the same time. He was married at Clarksville, Ohio, March 12, 1867, to Debbie A. Rowland, a native of that place. Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham have buried one child and have four living - Maud, Mabel, Ella, and Ralph E.
DR. T. F. DAVENPORT, dentist came to Emporia in May, 1870, having been engaged in the practice of his profession continuously since. He was born in Trenton, N. J., March 15, 1836; when nine years of age he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, with his parents. In 1856 he graduated from the Ohio Dental College, located at Cincinnati; after practicing two years at Centerville, Ind., he removed to Cincinnati, where he resided until he came to Emporia. He served, however, four years in the army, enlisting in Company A, Seventy-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and remained until March, 1865. He was wounded at Gainesville, Fla., and taken prisoner August 17, 1864. During the first six weeks he was confined in the hospital at Lake City; was then taken to Charleston, S. C., Columbia, Charlotte, Raleigh, and finally to Wilmington, where he was paroled after seven months imprisonment, returning to Cincinnati. He remained there practicing his profession until he came to Emporia. He is a member of the A. 0. U. W., and of the Presbyterian Church, and was married in Wyoming, Hamilton Co., Ohio, September 27, 1865, to Hannah E. Allen, of that place. They have two children - Mary Adella and Allen.
THAD C. DAVIDSON , traveling agent for Deere, Mansur & Co., Kansas City, Mo., came to La Cygne, Linn County, in December, 1869, and resided here until October, 1873. He engaged in the hardware and agricultural implement business until 1870, when he devoted himself exclusively to the latter line. In January, 1876, he became connected with Deere, Mansur & Co., selling implements for that company on the A., T. & S. F. road and all south thereof. Mr. Davidson is a native of Monmouth, Ill., born July 9, 1839, remaining there until 1864, when he went to St. Louis, where he was engaged as a commercial traveler until he settled in Kansas. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, also of the K. of H. In June, 1874, he organized the famous Knights Templar Band of Emporia. Mr. Davidson was married at Burlington, Iowa, in December, 1865, to Helen Collins, a native of Warren, Ohio. They have three children living - Mary, Kate and Willis P.
PROF. BUEL T. DAVIS, at the State Normal School, was born in Macon County, Ill., July 30, 1852; educated in the public schools of Decatur, and was within three months time of completing the course in the Decatur High School, when he removed to Kansas in the spring of 1871, located at Junction City and taught in the schools of Davis County for two terms. In 1872 attended the State Agricultural College as a student. In 1873 attended the Kansas State Normal School for one year. Attended Normal School at Aurora, Ill., the succeeding years; graduated from there in 1875. Returned to Kansas and graduated from the State Normal School in 1876. In 1876-77 was principal of the schools at Chetopa, Kas.; then for three years held the position of Superintendent of the Schools of Emporia. In January. 1880, accepted the chair of Director in Training and Gymnastics in the Kansas State Normal School, and held the two offices until the expiration of his term as Superintendent of the Emporia schools, since which time he has continued his duties at the State Normal School. He has been very successful as a teacher. Is a member of the First Congregational Church of Emporia. He is a Free Mason and a member of the Order of Knights of Honor. Married Miss Emma Waite of Oregon, Ogie Co., Ill., August 9, 1882.
LOUIS DEWEES, carpenter, was born in Washington County, Ohio, April 30,1842. Resided in Ohio until 1859, when he removed to Morgan County, Ind. In 1861 he enlisted as private Company A. Thirty-third Indiana Regiment, which formed part of the Twentieth Army Corps. He served about four years in the Army of the Cumberland, participating all the battles and skirmishes of that army from Resaca, Ga., to Jonesboro, N. C. Was mustered out at Indianapolis, and shortly after located in Cumberland County, Ill., where he resided until the spring of 1868, when he came to Kansas. Located in Emporia, and for the past eleven years has been in the employ of the A., T. & S. F. Ry. Co. Is now employed in the locomotive repair shop, as carpenter. He is a member of Emporia Encampment No. 17, I. 0. 0. F., and a member of Union Lodge, No. 15, I. 0. 0. F., in which he holds the office of N. G. He married Miss Ruhamah Simpson, of Morgan County, Ind., October 5, 1865, by which marriage he has had seven children, of whom, Ladora E. and Mary Lorenia are now living.
JAMES H. DOILE, farmer, Section 2. Township 19, Range 11, P. 0. Emporia, was born in Wigtonshire, Scotland, July 29, 1830, and seven years later his parents removed to Canada, where he remained until 1849, when he came To the United States, locating in Lake County, Ill. He had learned the trade of carpenter, which trade he followed with intervals of farming, in Lake County, until he came to Kansas, in the spring of 1857. He located in Lyon County, and pre-empted eighty acres of land situated on the Neosho River, about three miles northeast of Emporia. He at once began to improve his farm, and operated it until 1862, when he enlisted as a private in Company C, Eleventh Regiment, Kansas Volunteers. Participated ]n all the engagements in which his company took part, and was mustered out in August, 1865. He then went to Kansas City, and remained two years, following his trade. He then returned to his farm, and has ever since operated it . All his land is under cultivation except the timber land. He has a fine orchard of bearing trees, two acres of blackberries, one and a half acres of grapes, one acre of raspberries, and an eighth of an acre of strawberries. Mr. Doile Is a member of Emporia Post, G. A. R., and a member of Neosho Grange, P. of H. He married Miss Charlotte Sharpe, of Lake County, Ill., March 5, 1857, by which marriage he has had eight children, of whom Prentice I., Thomas G.. Cora E. and Agnes M. are now living
HOWARD DUNLAP settled In Emporia In August, 1869. and engaged in banking. To this he has added a business in insurance since the spring of 1874. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., A. 0. U. W., and Congregational Church. Mr. Dunlap is a native of Pittsburgh, Pa. and came from there to Emporia. He was married ii Boston. Mass., November 9, 1874 to Ella T. Cole, a native of Montpeiler, Vt., raised at Jefferson, Jefferson Co., Wis. They have one child, Bertha.
D. W. EASTMAN was born in Republic Township, Seneca Co., Ohio. When he was eight years of age he removed with lilt parents to Eaton County, Mich., subsequently to Kalamazoo County. Served three and a half years in the Union Army, holding commission as First Lieutenant and Adjutant of the Regiment of Merrill's Horse. when he resigned in February, 1865. Three years prior to coming to Kansas removed to Coldwater, Mich., where he resided until he removed to Emporia. He was married In Otsego, Mich., July, 1865, to Marion H. Hale, a native of Michigan, and has two children, William H. and Mary A. In August, 1871, he located in Emporia and engaged In the drug business, which he continued until 1878, having been elected County Treasurer In 1877. -he was re-elected to the same office, which he field until October, 1882. He was elected Mayor In the spring of 1881, and has been two years a member of the Board of Education, and also Treasurer of School Board and Assistant Postmaster. He Is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, A. 0. U. W., K. of H., K. &, L. of H. and K. of P.
ELBERT C. EDWARDS, grocer, was born in Paris. Ill., July 24, 1835, and resided there until 1863, when he entered the employ of the United States, and was for about a year and a half Post Wagon and Forage Mister at Fort Laramie. Was with the forces participating in all the Indian troubles in Wyoming at that time. Mr. Edwards came to Kansas in the spring of 1867, locating at Hayes City, where he built the first building used by the Town Company. Continued in the business as a contractor and builder about a year, then went to New Mexico, and was engaged for eighteen months in superintending the building of Mereno Mining Water Company's aqueduct flumes. Returned to Kansas in 1870, and engaged in farming and stock raising until September, 1881, when he removed to Emporia and established one of the largest wholesale and retail grocery stores Iii the city, on Commercial street, between Fourth and Fifth avenues. Mr. Edwards was for nine or ten years a member of the Lyon County School Board and a Trustee of Agnes City two years. His father and mother are living, the former aged seventy-four years and the latter seventy years. Married Miss Jane J. Dunn. of Edgar County, Ill , December 29, 1859, and they have had four children, of whom George E., Mary E. and Grace S. are now living.
R. J. EDWARDS, stock raiser, was born in Aberystwyth, South Wales, February 18,1842, and came to this country with his parents three years after. He was raised in Racine, Wis., and in August, 1862, enlisted as private in Company F, Twenty-second Wisconsin Regiment. He served three years, principally in the Twentieth Army corps, participating in the battles of that corps. While garrisoning the town of Brentwood, Tenn., his regiment was surprised by the command of Gen. Forrest and taken prisoners. Mr. E. was confined about one month at Libby Prison, Richmond. After his return the regiment was re-organized, and continued in the Twentieth Corps up to the time of Sherman's march into Washington. He was Color Bearer of his regiment after the taking of Atlanta, Ga., and mustered out as Sergeant at Milwaukee, Wis. He went to farming in Iroquois County, Ill., where he remained five years, then removed to Colorado and engaged in the cattle business and in milling and mining. He remained in Colorado until he came to Kansas. During the last few years of his career there he devoted his attention principally to mining In which he was quite successful. In the summer of 1880, he came to Kansas, locating at Emporia. Soon after he bought a ranch of 900 acres of farming land in Greenwood County, also one of 1,500 acres grazing land. He has about 250 head of cattle and 1500 graded Merino sheep on these lands. He has built a fine residence In Emporia. March 6, 1865, he married Miss Elizabeth Breeze, of Waukesha, Wis. by which marriage he has four children - Nellie A., Samuel R., John and Hannah, all living. He is a member of Rostia Lodge, No. 36, A. F. & A. M.
HARRISON P. ELLIOTT, farmer. Section 18, Township 19, P. O. Emporia was born in Clarke County, Ohio, December 10, 1815. Twenty years of his life were spent in Clarke County, and In 1835 he removed to DeKalb County, IH., where he farmed for five years. He then removed to Winnebago County, Ill., and bought a farm of 160 acres, which he continued to operate until the fall of 1880, when he came to Kansas. He bought a farm of eighty acres In Emporia Township, which he has improved by the erection of a one brick dwelling house, commodious barn, etc. Has an orchard of about 150 apple, 100 peach and some cherry and plum trees. Has been married three times. First to Miss Elma Gandy, in 1847; she died in 1853, leaving six children, of whom four are now living. May 12,1854. he married Miss Irena E. W. Harris, of Winnebago County, who died in 1871, leaving two children, both now living. He married Mrs. Eleanor A. Dale, of Winnebago County, in, April 17, 1874.
JOSEPH ERNST, late County Treasurer, came to Americus Township, Lyon Co., Kan., October 9, 1858, and has always been engaged in farming. In 1869, he was elected County Commissioner, holding the office two years. In 1874, Mr. Ernst was elected County Treasurer and re-elected in 1876 and 1881 . He was born in Prussia, March 23, 1824, and immigrated to America in 1850; after residing six years in New York City and two years in Marshall County, Ill., he came to Kansas. In August, 1856, he was married, in New York City to Christina Fossbinder, a native of Prussia. They have nine children - William, Albert, Philip, Edward, Charles, Joseph, John, Maggie and Frank. Mr. E. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Americas Lodge, and K. of H. Mr. Ernst died February 20, 1883.
HON. CHARLES V. ESKRIDGE, now editor and proprietor of the Emporia Republican, is and has been for many years one of the prominent men in the affairs of the State. Like others who have advanced to high position, his parents were people in straightened circumstances, depending upon their daily labor for subsistence. Their son, Charles V., was born In Virginia in 1833. The next year his parents emigrated to Ohio, and in 1838 to Lewiston, Fulton Co. Ill. where, in 1851, his mother died of pneumonia. His father still resides there. When about thirteen years of age, Charles, wishing to strike out for himself, and being satisfied that $2 in silver was sufficient capital upon which to venture his fortunes, ran away from home, his objective point being St. Louis. Having passed through a succession of boyish adventures, spending most of his succeeding six months as a cabin boy on a Mississippi steamboat, he returned to the parental roof, both richer and wiser. Shortly afterward he commenced to learn the "Art Preservative," and soon became proficient in the trade. He departed for Kansas in the spring of 1855, and arrived at a time when the country was yet in the throes of the border ruffian invasion of March 30th. Locating at Lawrence, he carried on an active correspondence with several papers in Illnois, working, also on the Herald of Freedom. Mr. Eskridge was furthermore a participant in the military operations in which Lawrence played so heroic a part. After a brief visit to Illinois in the winter of 1856, he located at Emporia, Kan., during the succeeding spring. That place was then a "paper" town. He became the agent of the Town Company, and he also acted as a clerk in a store. In the spring of 1858, when Emporia had thrown off its swaddling clothes, and the country had become more settled, a political organization was affected, with Mr. Eskridge as Clerk and Recorder. In 1859 he was appointed Probate Judge, and elected a member of the first State Legislature; re-elected in 1862, and in 1863 was appointed on the Governor's staff, with the rank of Colonel. In 1864 he was elected State Senator, and Lieutenant-Governor in 1868. As a presiding officer he made a most brilliant record, as is evidenced repeatedly by resolutions entered in the Senate Journal. In 1871 he was again elected a member of the Legislature, and in 1872 was placed before the people as a gubernatorial candidate. Though he did not obtain the nomination, he was the means of making the choice, as his influence undoubtedly formed the balance of power in the convention. Mr. Eskridge was President of the City Council of Emporia, in 1873-4, and in 1874 was again elected to the popular branch of the Legislature, and in 1878 was chosen a delegate to the Republican State Convention. Among other subjects of legislation in which he has taken a leading part are those in relation to the State Normal School which, through his efforts, was located in Emporia. He is the author of the law by which school districts may issue bonds to assist in the construction of schoolhouses. He was also the first to offer a proposition extending the right of franchise to the colored race. An amendment to the State Constitution, proposing to extend the elective franchise to women, was defeated mainly by his efforts. During his residence in Emporia for about ten years, Mr. Eskridge was engaged in the mercantile business, and also dealt extensively in real estate, and accumulated a handsome property. Besides the public measures previously mentioned in which Mr. Eskridge has been prominent, several of the laws encouraging railroad and internal improvements were drawn up and supported by him. Through his efforts the name of the county was changed from Breckinridge to Lyon. He has also been the foster father of measures which have greatly stimulated the agricultural and horticultural interests of the State. As an editor Mr. Eskridge is known throughout Kansas. He established The Republican and made it one of the best dailies in Kansas, a full account of which appears in the County History. The daily is a thirty-two column paper - receiving the full Associated Press dispatches, and is in every way metropolitan. The weekly is a thirty-six column paper. This establishment gives employment to thirty-five hands. The circulation of The Republican extends principally throughout the southern and southwestern portions of the State. Mr. Eskridge was married at Donaldson, Bond Co., Ill, in December, 1861 to Mary E. Dixon, of that place. They have four children - Mattie, Clara, Edward Walton, and Mary.
JOHN T. ESKRIDGE, boots and shoes, was born in Licking County, Ohio, September 28,1835. He removed with his parents to Fulton County, Ill., when about two years old. When about fourteen years of age he adopted the life of a seaman, which he followed until, the war of 1861, which found him in New Orleans. He enlisted in the Confederate Army, served four years and a half in the Fifth Louisiana Regiment, which was in Gen. Stonewall Jackson's command until his death. He was afterward under the command of Ewell; held the rank of First Sergeant of his company. He was wounded four times. He married Mrs. Elizabeth A. French, of Shreveport, La., June 12, 1871.
WILLIAM F. EWING, County Clerk, came to Emporia in March, 1870; for two years he was engaged in brick manufacturing at Emporia and Americus. After engaging in various other occupations and teaching school in November, 1877, he was elected County Clerk, He was re-elected in 1879 and 1881. Mr. Ewing was born near Lancaster, Lancaster Co., Pa., July 10, 1850, residing there until he removed to Kansas. He was married in Emporia December 27, 1877, to Clara G. Maxson, a native of Wisconsin. They have two children - Clara Virginia and Nellie S. Mr. Ewing is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and K. of P., and has been grand chancellor of the State in the latter order.