|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ACHESON - BURTON).
THOMAS J. ACHESON, stock feeder and dealer, P. 0. Emporia, was born in County Donegal, Ireland. February 28, 1840, and two years later his parents came to the United States, locating at Lima, LaGrange Co., Ind. Here he was brought up, receiving a common school education. At the age of twenty-four, he began business as a farmer and stock dealer, in which he continued in LaGrange County and in St. Joseph County, Mich., until he came to Kansas, in 1869. He located in Lyon County, and bought 120 acres of unimproved land situated on Allen Creek, in Fremont Township, five miles north of Emporia. He made valuable improvements upon this place. In 1874, he engaged in the stock business until he is now feeding and handling cattle and hogs, and has yearly enlarged his business until he is now one of the largest dealers in the county. He has a range several hundred acres in Greenwood County. He has upon average, from 200 to 300 cattle feeding, but handles many more. In the spring of 1883, he sold his farm on Allen Creek, and now pays his undivided attention to his stock business. He has a residence in Emporia. He married Miss Lucina M. Packard, of Sturgis, Mich., October 1, 1863, by whom he has two children - Frederick I. and Nelson H., both living.
JOHN ALLEN, Attorney, was born in Henry County, Ind., August 3, 1843. When about ten years of age his father removed to Warren County, Ohio, where the subject of this sketch spent its youth on a farm. He attended the Spiceland Academy, but before he graduated the War of the Rebellion called for the defenders of liberty and he enlisted in July, 1862, as private in Company A, Seventy-ninth Ohio Regiment. He was in the brigade of Gen. Benj. Harrison in the Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps, and participated in all the battles and engagements of that corps from Resaca, Georgia to Sherman's march to Washington. He was mustered out in that city, June 9, 1865, returned to Ohio and attended the Northwestern NormaI School at Lebanon two years then taught school until 1871. In 1872, he went into the hay business, which proved unprofitable, and in 1873, began studying law. He was admitted to the Ohio Bar in 1876, and practiced in Brown County, Ohio, until 1879. He was Mayor of Aberdeen, Brown County, one term. In 1879, came West, stopping for a short time at West Line, Mo., and in March 1882, located at Emporia, where he is engaged in the practice of law. He married Miss Belle M. Reynolds, of Newport, Ky., February 3, 1869. He was brought up in the Church of Friends. He is a member of the G. A. R., also of the Imperial Order of Red Men.
WALTER ARNOLD, furniture manufacturer, was born in South Wales, January 22, 1828, and came to the United States in 1856, locating in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he engaged in the manufacture of furniture. In the spring of 1858. he came to Kansas, locating at Leavenworth and establishing himself in the manufacture of furniture. During the War of the Rebellion Mr. Arnold was enrolled in the First Regiment of Kansas Militia and was in active service during the Price raid. In 1870, he removed to Emporia, and for four years conducted a furniture manufacturing business alone. His present business was established In 1874, under the name of Arnold & Co. This factory is located on the Cottonwood River, which furnishes them a power of 300 horses, and is about a mile south of the courthouse. They employ from eight to ten men, and manufacture all kinds of furniture. Mr. Arnold married, August 15, 1851, Miss Margaret Evans, of Wales, and by this marriage has had six children, of whom only one is now living.
JOHN J. ATHERTON, was born in Cheshire, England, March 13, 1843, and came to this country in 1860, and located in Emporia. In 1875, he bought an interest in the market of Miller & Atherton. The partnership continued about a year, then ceased, and Mr. Atherton went into the business of buying and shipping stock. In 1875, he bought the Randolph & Paine market on Commercial street, which he has continued to operate. In 1876, he bought a farm of 100 acres in Lyon County, and in 1880, bought another farm of forty acres. He is breeding thoroughbred Berkshire and Poland China hogs; also a high class of poultry. He has about 260 head of hogs, also some fine graded cattle. Married Miss Annie Owen, of Emporia, October 4, 1876, and by this marriage has three children - Dorothy Edith, Elizabeth E. and Alexander A. - all living. He is a member of Emporia Lodge No. 12, A. F. & A. M., also a member of Damascus Lodge No. 11, K. of P.
HON. C. B. BACHELLER has been engaged in the practice of law at Emporia since April, 1869. In 1870, he was elected County Attorney, Hon. B. H. Plumb being the opposing candidate, and in 1873 made Justice of the Peace, an office which he has held up to date, with the exception of two years. He served as Police Judge for two terms, from 1877 to 1881. Judge Bacheller was born in Solon, Me., December 11, 1827, and moved to Farmington, Me., in 1846, residing there until 18(unreadable). He received his education at the Maine Wesleyan Seminary at Readfield, Me., and in 1849 removed to Somerset, Ky., where he read law and was admitted to the bar in 1852, practicing in that State until he came to Kansas, in 1869. He held the office of Master Commissioner in Pulaski County, Ky., for several years, and was elected County Attorney in 1861, holding that position until 1866. He is a member of the Christian Church, A., F. & A. M., and A. O. U. W. He has passed the chairs of the various orders, having held the positions of grand foreman of the Grand Lodge of Kansas and master workman of the Emporia Lodge. He was married at Somerset, October 5, 1852, to Alice P. Bradley, daughter of Col. R. M. Bradley, of Somerset, Ky., who died July 22, 1876. leaving three children, Roscoe M., Ida E., and William M. He was again married October 31, 1877, to Mrs. Alice (Oldes) Mayse, who died July 21, 1882, leaving two children, Bertha Maud and Carleton H., who died July 4, 1882.
J. & J. H. BAIRD commenced dry good's business in Emporia in April, 1877, under the firm name of Baird & Bro., keeping a general assortment of merchandise, except groceries. The brothers came to Topeka in 1876, but did not engage in active business until they located in Emporia. J. Baird is a native of Randolph County, Ill., born October 13, 1842. J. H. Baird was born in Parry County, Ill., in 1850, and has been engaged in the dry goods business since he was twenty years of age.
ASA BANCROFT came to Emporia in March, 1857, and was first employed by John Hammond and assisted in the erection of the first four buildings built in the town. After working for Mr. Hammond a few weeks he took charge of the saw-mill of Parham & Phelps, near the town site, and continued in charge of the mill till late in the fall of 1859. April 11, 1857, he made settlement on the northeast quarter of section 17, Township 19, Range 11, part of which is now the fair grounds of the Lyon, County Agricultural Society. During the winter of 1857-58 he fenced part of his "claim" and the following summer cultivated the portion that had been previously "broken." He subsequently disposed of part of the land and invested in a livery stable in Emporia, continuing business until 1865. Mr. Bancroft was the first Township Treasurer of Emporia Township under the old territorial law of township organization, and as such collected the first territorial tax levied in the county for Emporia Township. In 1865, he was elected Sheriff of the county and re-elected to a second term in 1867, and served in that capacity till January, 1870, when he engaged in the insurance business, which he followed for several years. In the meantime he was Township Trustee and City Assessor for some five or six years. In 1878 and 1879 Mr. B. was Deputy Registrar of Deeds, and , owing to the sickness and death of the Registrar, he had full charge of the office during most of the time. After spending about six months in New Mexico, he returned to Emporia and was employed for a time by the A. T. & S. F. R. R., after which he resumed the insurance business, which he continues to the present time. Mr. B. was born in Bridgewater Township, Washtenau Co., Mich., November 24, 1835, living there and in the vicinity until his removal to Kansas, excepting tow years spent in the lumber woods of Saginaw County, Mich. He was married in Emporia, August 11, 1864, to Miss E. J. Bunderm, a native of Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Bancroft have three children, Harry R., and Marv A. and Martha (unreadable), twin girls. Mr. B. enlisted in Company C, Seventeenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, July, 1864, as a private, was promoted to First Lieutenant on the organization of the company, and as such he had command of the company during his term of service, the company never having a Captain. He is a member of Emporia Lodge No. 12, A., F. & A. M., and also of Emporia Chapter No. 12, R. A. M., and has served four years as master of his lodge.
M. R. BARKER, attorney-at-law, was born in Boston, Mass., October 7, 1851; five years later his parents moved to Alamakee County, Iowa, where he lived until he was eighteen years old, when he went to Lansing, Iowa, and studied medicine one year, and subsequently entered Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa, from which he graduated in 1877, having taught school in Iowa three years, prior to his graduation. He was married at Mount Vernon, Iowa, June 28, 1877, to Mary Hanna, a native of Iowa, and has one child - Glenn. In November, 1877, he immigrated to Kansas, and settled in Maywood , Wyandotte County, where he had charge of a school for nearly two years, removing thence to Fairmont, where he took charge of a school one year, being principal, and his wife first assistant. From Fairmont he removed to Burlingame, and with his wife, had charge of a school there for two years, also commencing in that city the practice of law, having been admitted to the bar in the fall of 1881. He came to Emporia in June, 1882, where he is engaged in the practice of his profession.
JAMES R. BARNES. Police Justice, was born in Rutland, Vt., December 27, 1811; resided in Vermont until he was twenty-one years of age, then removed to Wyoming County., N. Y., where he worked at the trade of harness-making. He studied law there, and was admitted to the bar about 1844, and practiced law. He was a Justice of the Peace there for several years. In 1854, he removed to Maquoketa, Iowa, where he practiced law and was a Justice of the Peace nearly twenty years. In addition to his legal duties, he operated a harness and saddlery business. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1875, locating at Emporia, became interested in city property, and in the spring of 1881, was elected Police Judge of Emporia for a term of two years. Married Miss Mianda Nichols, of Wyoming County, in July, 1835; she died In 1865, leaving three children - Sarah J., James P., Jr. and Rush H. He was married again in June, 1869 to Mrs. S. C. Packard, of Emporia. He is a member of the Universalist Church, a member of the Union Lodge, No. 15, I. 0. 0. F., joined the order in 1849; is also a member of Cattaraugus Encampment, K. T., In New York.
MOSES H. BATES, druggist, is a native of Troy, Perry Co., Ind., where he was born December 7, 1839. His parents removed to Lewis County, Mo., when he was seven years old, and that site remained his home until he located at Leavenworth Kan., in 1859. In the spring of 1861, he removed from Leavenworth to Emporia, where he started the first drug store in the town in March of that year, where Mr. Ryder is now located. He remained In business at the old stand until the spring of 1873, when he went to Lewis County, Mo., and remained there, on a farm, until October, 1880; he returned to Emporia in December, 1881, and again engaged in drug business, which he now carries on, being also interested in real estate operations. Mr. Bates was married in Emporia, March, 1886, to Betsey Maddocks, a native of Wales, and daughter of John Maddocks, who settled in Emporia in 1862. Mrs. Bates died in 1875, leaving two children - Frank Irwin and Betsey Maddocks.
JOHN BAY, grocer, was born July 22, 1835, in La Porte County, Ind., and two years later his parents removed to Lee County, Ill., where they resided until 1854. In that year they removed to Delaware County, Iowa. In 1857 Mr. Bay struck out again towards the West, and in June located in Emporia, which place he has ever since called his home. Engaged in farming for two years. Went to Colorado in 1859, and was for a time interested mining. At the breaking out of the late war, he enlisted as a private in the Second Regiment, Colorado Cavalry. His first campaign was in New Mexico. Participated in the battles of Val Verdi, Apache Canyon, and Peralto, fighting against Texas Rangers commanded by the Rebel General Sibley. In 1863 he was in Arkansas and the Indian Territory; participated in the battles of Cabin Creek, and in several skirmishes. In 1864 was on the border fighting guerrillas, and took part in the battles of the Big Blue, the Little Blue, Westport, and Mine Creek, during the Price raid into Kansas. Previous to this he had been promoted, first to Corporal, then to Sergeant, and for four or five months had charge of a scouting party. Was taken prisoner by the guerrillas in November, 1864, and held by them as hostage against three female prisoners who were held by the United States for harboring and aiding bushwhackers. Was well treated by his captors, and was exchanged for the three women, after about a week's imprisonment. Was mustered out of service in January, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth. Returned to Emporia and engaged in commercial life. Continued in active business until 1871, when he was elected Sheriff of Lyon County. He was re-elected in 1873. Was elected Mayor of the city in 1875, and in the same year went into the grain business; continued for a year, and in 1876 the firm of Wood & Bay was formed. For three years did a retail grocery business. This firm was dissolved in 1879, and Mr. Bay has, since that time, done business alone in his own name. He has an excellent retail grocery trade. Was elected a member of the City Council in 1881, for a term of two years, and in 1882 was elected President of the Council. He married Miss Carrie Roe, of Chase County, April 4, 1866, and has had by this marriage five children, of whom Bessie, Herbert F., and an infant son unnamed are now living.
GEORGE A. BIDDLE, M. D., was born in New Maysville, Putnam Co., Ind., October 15, 1845. After completing his sophomore year at Asbury University, Ind., he read medicine in his native place under Dr. R. W. Long, and graduated from the Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1889. He enlisted in Company E, First Indiana Heavy Artillery, in September, 1864, serving until the following September. As stated, he graduated from the medical college in 1889, then commenced the practice of his profession in his native town. Here he continued until January, 1878, and then removed to Dallas, Texas, where he resided til he came to Emporia, in February, 1880. The doctor is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. 0. 0. F., and K. of H; also of the Lyon County Medical Society. The specialty of his practice is diseases of women. He has a farm near town, and other outside interests. Dr. Biddle was married in his native town to Alice Long, a native of that place, October 10, 1871. They have one child, Clara Virginia.
WILLARD DAVIS BREWER manager of the lumber business of S. A. Brown & Co., came to Kansas in 1871, and located at Chanute, where he was with Ridenour &Baker two years. In 1875 he became connected with the lumber business of S. A. Brown & Co., and has located a large number of yards for the firm since that time, giving the business his entire attention during those years. Mr. Brewer was born at Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio, and came from his native town to Kansas. He was married at Chanute, Kan., November 4, 1876, to Annah Winans, a native of Rochester, N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Brewer have lost one son, Harry, who died in August, 1881, aged eighteen months, and have two children living, Owen Davis and Mollie Winans.
SOLOMON G. BROWN, pastor, was born in Oldham County, Ky., February 9, 1821, where his early life was spent. After leaving Kentucky he resided nearly twenty years in Indiana, where he completed his education and married his first wife. Was only eighteen when he married Miss Kary Rhodes, of Morgan County, by whom he had seven children, of whom George, Sarah, Maggie, Lillie and Tillie are living. Came to Kansas in 1855 locating at Emporia, where he has ever since resided. The town was not at that time laid out; intact, but ten or twelve settlements had been made in the township. Bought a claim of 160 acres on the Cottonwood. The county was then frequented by roving bands of Indians, sometimes as many as one thousand being seen in one camp, or village. Elder Brown organized the Christian Church of Emporia in 1856, with six members. He built the first church in the county, which was dedicated by him in 1858. Undoubtedly Elder Brown baptized by immersion the first person so baptized in the Territory. He has since baptized about 4,000 people. Continued as pastor of the Christian Church until 1878, is now preaching to congregations as follows: At Nortonville, twice a month: Big Springs, once a month, and Antioch once a month. Built a fine church at the last named place in 1881, costing $2,000. He has also built churches at Grantville and LeRoy. Married Miss Melinda Fowler, of Emporia, June 11, 1857. By this marriage has had eight children, of whom Nancy, Jane, Dellie May, Millie Ellen, Solomon G., Jr., Carrie Bell, Ida Mabel, Maude and Pearl are living. Elder Brown was a member of the Territorial Legislature of 1857. Is a member of Emporia Lodge No. 12. A.. F. & A. M.
J. JAY BUCK, attorney, has been engaged in practice at Emporia since May 1, 1870, and was here prior to that time prospecting. He was Justice of the Peace at an early day, and served as Registrar in Bankruptcy in the Third Congressional District being the only person who ever held that office, and is at present U. S. Commissioner. He was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., August 14, 1835, and in the following May his parents moved with their family to Hillsdale, Mich. He received his education at Hillsdale College, and read law with Christopher J. Dickinson, of that town, being admitted to the Hillsdale bar in 1857. He commenced practice at Lexington, Mich., then moved to Buchanan, and in 1860 went to Waupun, Wis., in December, 1863, he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and in the spring of 1864 entered Company 1. One Hundred and First United States Colored Infantry, which he commanded for a time, and then served as Judge Advocate of the staff of Gen. L. H. Rosseau and his successor, Gen. R. W. Johnson, until he resigned, July 28, 1865. He then settled at Clarksville, Tenn. and published the Clarksville Patriot, a radical Republican paper, for two years, at the same time continuing the practice of law. When the bankruptcy law took effect, in 1867, he was appointed Register of the Sixth Tennessee Congressional District, and held that office until he came to Kansas for the benefit of his health. Dr. Buck is a member of the A., F. & A. M., A. 0. U. Templars, I. 0. 0. F., and Good Templars. He was married at Buchannan, Mich., March 31, 1860, to Mary H. Tichemore, a native of New York. They have one child - Livingston J.
JOHN C. BURNETT, agent M. P. R. R. was born at Quebec, Canada, August 21, 1845, where his early life was spent. He became identified with the railroad interests at an early age, and was in the employ of the Grand Trunk Railway, of Canada, seven years, as station agent at different points. He came to the United States in 1873, locating at Chicago, Ill., where be was employed in the auditor's office of the C., B. &, Q. R. R., one year. Came to Kansas in 1874, and for four years held the position of traveling auditor of the M., K. & T. R'y. In October, 1878, was appointed agent of that company at Emporia, which position he still holds. Is a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church of Emporia. Member of Emporia Lodge, No. 2. A. 0. U. W. He married Miss Eliza J. Waterson, of Quebec, June 15, 1870, by which marriage he has one child - Annie Maude.
JOHN T. BURTON, grocer, was born November 27, 1847, in Rush County, Ind., where his early life was spent. Taught in the public schools of Indiana eight years. Graduated from Butler University, Irvington, Ind., in 1878, and completed a post graduate course in 1880, receiving the degree of A. M. Came to Kansas in the summer of 1880, and in September, started in the grocery business. Has one of the largest stores in his line in his city, located on Commercial street, and does an extensive business is a member of the Christian Church, of Emporia, and superintendent of the Sabbath school. Was President of the Town Board of Irvington one year. Married Miss Melissa A. Hume, of Rush County, Ind., September 2, 1874, and by this marriage have one child - Perlee E.