|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MCCANDLESS - PLUMB).
ROBERT R. McCANDLESS, M. D., was born near Hamilton, Butler Co., Ohio, November 19, 1826. After reading medicine with Dr. Andrew Campbell, he graduated from Miami Medical College, and located at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1857. He commenced the practice of his profession with his preceptor, in Hamilton. He then lived four years in Hill Grove, Darke Co., Ohio; returned to Butler County and practiced at Monroe until he entered the army, in August, 1862. He served in the position of Surgeon of the One Hundred and Tenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry until July 1, 1865, when he was mustered out and returned to Monroe. Later the same season he went to Savannah, Mo., and remained engaged in the drug business until he came to Emporia, in April 1870. During this year he erected his large business block on Commercial street, engaging in the drug business until six years ago. The Doctor now makes a specialty of treating the cancer. He was married at Hill Grove, Ohio, December 25, 1852, to Priscilla Youart, a native of Troy, Miami Co., Ohio. They have three children living - Robert E., William B., and Harry E. Dr. McCandless is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
W. T. McCARTY, attorney-at-law, was born near Warrenton, Fauquier Co., Va., December 15, 1838. He was educated at Bloomfield Academy, Virginia; was one year in the law department of the University of Virginia. He enlisted in the Confederate army in the spring of 1861; served with Stonewall Jackson in the Artillery, first as a non-commissioned officer, then as Lieutenant, then as the AQ'ntant of Poague's Artillery Battalion; afterwards commanded a battery and surrendered to Grant at Appomattox. Read law one and a half years with Hon. J. V. Brooke, of Warrenton, Va., and was admitted to the bar in Winchester, Va., in November, 1866. In January, 1867, he went to Oxford, Miss., and attended the law school of the University of Mississippi two years, graduating from that department. He was married at Oxford, Miss., October 22, 1867, to Olivia C. West, a native of Lexington, Holmes Co., Miss., and daughter of Gen. A. M. West, then President of the Mississippi Central railroad. Mr. McCarty came to Emporia July 6, 1869. For one year he was associated with H. C. Cross in the practice, after which he was alone until November, 1876, when he became a partner of E. W. Cunningham, which association has continued to the present time. Mr. and Mrs. McCarty have seven children - Mason W., William C., James Brooke, Carrie H., Evangeline, Wirt G. and an infant son.
D. C. McMURTRIE, came to Emporia in February, 1869, first engaging in the hardware business. He has been a member of the Board of Education for the past ten years, and during this period the graded system has been inaugurated, and the High School and two new buildings erected. Mr. McMurtrie was born in Middletown, Pa., March 3, 1835. For twenty years he remained in his native town, and then resided in St. Joseph, Mo., Chicago, and various places. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Seventy-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until August 16, 1865. He was at the siege of Vicksburg, Champion Hills, Natchez, Mobile, Franklin, Nashville - in fact all the battles of his command. He was married at Middletown, Pa., December 28, 1872, to Kittie Fisher, a native of that place. They have one child - Kittie. Mr. McMurtrie is a member of the A. O. U. W. and the Knights of Honor.
MICHAEL MALONEY, real estate dealer, was born in County Galway, Ireland, August 23, 1823. He came to the United States in 1848, and resided the first two years after in Berkshire County, Mass.; then removed to Ohio, where he resided until he came to Kansas, in the fall of 1858, locating in Lyon County. He took a claim of 160 acres, and farmed it until the commencement of the War of the Rebellion, when he enlisted as private in the Eleventh Regiment Kansas Volunteers, and served three years, participating in all the battles and skirmishes in which the regiment was engaged. He was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth in the fall of 1865. He returned to Center Township, Lyon County, and farmed until the fall of 1866, when he removed to Emporia and started in the real estate business, in which he has since been engaged. In 1877 he went to Ireland as land and emigrant agent of the A., T. & S. F. R'y. Co.; remained about six months. He married Miss Ellen Hickey, of New York, in October, 1858. He was a Justice of the Peace in Center Township for four years. He was one of the organizers of the town, and the school district, and was a member of the school board five years.
CLARK C. MARTIN, was born at Bedford, Province of Quebec, Canada, July 7, 1837. Came to the United States in 1855, locating at Grafton, Mass., where he resided until the fall of 1856, when he removed to St. Peter, Minn., where he engaged in building and operated a saw mill. In the spring of 1861 he went to Summit County, Col., and engaged in mining until September, 1862, when he enlisted as a Sergeant in Company A, Third Colorado Infantry. The regiment was stationed at Rolla and at Pilot Knob, Mo. In 1863 it was consolidated with the Second Regiment Colorado Infantry and transferred to a Cavalry Regiment; the company to which Mr. Martin belonged being designated as Company H, Second Regiment Colorado Cavalry. The regiment was sent to Kansas City, Mo., and assigned to Provost Guard duty. Sergt. Martin had charge of the police service of the city for about six months. The regiment remained on duty in Missouri until the Price raid, during which it participated in the battles of Lexington, Big Blue, Little Blue, Westport, Mine Creek, Lucerne, Blue Mount, and Newtonia. The regiment afterward was stationed in Kansas, and participated in several skirmishes with rebels and Indians. Mr. Martin was in all the engagements in which his company took part, and was mustered out of the service at Fort Riley in June, 1865. He then went to New York City, where he was engaged in building until he came to Kansas in the fall of 1877. He located in Emporia and engaged in contracting and building. In the spring of 1882 he took a partner into the business, the firm name now being Martin & Hoffer. Mr. Martin is a member of first Methodist Episcopal Church of Emporia; a member of Arcturus Lodge, No. 274, A., F. & A. M., of New York City; a member of Emporia Lodge, No. 2, A. O. U. W., of which he is a foreman; a member of Union Legion, No. 2, S. K.; and a member of Emporia Post, No. 55, G. A. R. He married Miss Charlotte E. Gould, of New York City, May 7, 1868, by which marriage he has had six children, of whom Clark T., Lottie E., Nye G. and Clifton C. are living.
REV. DOMINIC MEIER, Order of St. Francis, was born in Covington, Ky., September 2, 1851. Received his classical education at St. Francis College, Cincinnati, Ohio, and theological at St. Boniface Convent at Louisville, Ky. Was ordained in December, 1874, and first sent to Lafayette, Ind., as assistant at St. Boniface Church. Remained there about a year and a half and was then sent to Reynolds, Ind. While there, from 1875 to 1880, built a church at Reynolds and one at Monticello. Came to Kansas in 1880, and during that and the succeeding year built the Convent of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. In 1882 a large brick school, called the School of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, was completed, and is already attended by over 100 children. The Sisters of St. Francis have also in process of construction a hospital, which will be 125 feet front by 54 feet deep and three stories high. It will be unsectarian and free to all. It is intended to build at an early day a church building adjoining the convent. There are located here besides Father Meier, Father Angelus Hafertepe and Father Guido Stallo, who attend congregations at Strong City, Eagle Creek, Reading, Council Grove, Burlington, Eureka, and Hartford. There is plenty of good land still near Emporia; any Catholics desirous of coming to Kansas will find it to their interest to inquire here first before going elsewhere.
ROBERT MILLIKEN, County Surveyor, came to Emporia in March, 1869, being elected to his present position in the fall of that year. He was twice re-elected, serving about six years. He then resigned to take charge of the city schools as superintendent. He continued to hold this position from 1875 to 1877. Until 1881 he engaged in the nursery business and in the occupation of surveying. During this year he was again elected County Surveyor. Mr. Milliken was secretary of the Lyon County Horticultural Society two years, being its first secretary after organization and a prime mover in its formation. In 1873, he was elected president, holding that office to the present time. During the same year he was chosen vice-president of the Kansas State Horticultural Society, which position he retained four years. Mr. Milliken was also City Engineer about eight years. He was born near Sharon, Mercer Co., Pa., July 28, 8138, and was educated at Westminster College, New Wilmington, Lawrence Co., Pa. The period from 1857 to 1867 was occupied more or less in teaching school. The time being spent partly in Illinois and partly in Pennsylvania. He came to Missouri in March, 1867, and in the August following became connected with the Bluffton Wine Company at Bluffton, Mo. Mr. Milliken was married at Sharon, Pa., October 24, 1861, to Queen Victoria McBurney, a native of Brookfield, Trumbull Co., Ohio. They have two children - Arthur and Walter.
GEORGE W. MILLER, insurance agent, was born in Lower Allen Township, Cumberland Co., Pa., November 10, 1855. He was educated in the schools of his native county and taught school prior to coming to Kansas. Soon after locating in Emporia, April, 1882, he became associated with M. L. Sampson in business, the partnership continuing to the present time. Mr. Miller was married in Landisville, Lancaster Co., Pa., December 29, 1881, to Emma Brensiser, a native of that place.
MRS. E. A. MOORE, widow of the late C. A. Moore, was born in Canada, October 27, 1834, and soon after removed to Wisconsin, where her early life was spent. Was educated in Oberlin, Ohio. Married in Cleveland, April 18, 1869, and resided in Ohio until 1873, when she came to Kansas, locating in Emporia, and has since been in business as a dressmaker, and agent for Butterick's patterns. Occupies a fine suite of rooms on Commercial street, in the same block with her brother, L. S. Page, photographer. Mrs. Moore is a member of the Church of the Disciples.
J. A. MOORE, M. D., has been engaged in the practice of medicine in Emporia since June 20, 1860, the date of his location. In 1866, he also became interested in the drug business. He was one of the original stockholders of the agricultural society, as well as of the Emporia Gas Company, and is interested in the First National Bank. He has built four brick business houses and five residences. He was born at Fairfax Court House, Fairfax Co., Va., November 3, 1830, and in 1837 removed with his parents to Carroll County, Ohio, near Kilgore, making that his home until 1850, when he removed to Washington County, Ohio. He is the son of John Marshall Moore, a soldier of the war of 1812, who at present resides in Washington County, Ohio. The subject of this sketch received an academic education at Hagarstown, Ohio, and taught school in that State until 1865, when he went to Keokuk, Iowa, receiving his medical education in the Iowa University at that point. He graduated in the class of 1858-59, and practiced one year at Keosauqua prior to his removal to Kansas. He was married in Emporia May 25, 1863, to Clara Weaver, a native of Vermillion County, Ill. They have one child - Ida. Dr. Moore was at one time a member of the State Medical Society. Served as member of the Board of Education for six years, and was elected member of the City Council in spring of 1882.
D. W. MORRIS, with his parents, Edward and Anna Morris, located in what is now Emporia Township in October, 1859. They now reside in the city. D. W. Morris was engaged in farming until January, 1869. In 1872, he took charge of the drug business of Dr. John A. Moore, which position he still holds. In the fall of 1861 he went to Rock Island, Ill., and in 1862 enlisted in Company H. One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until August, 1865, when he was mustered out as Sergeant, at Springfield, Ill., and returned to Emporia. During two years, from 1869 to 1871, he was employed as Deputy Register of Deeds, and in the Spring of 1882 was elected a member of the Board of Education. Mr. Morris was born in South Wales, November 18, 1840, coming to America with his parents in 1852; he lived in Maryland two years, Pennsylvania two years, and in Illinois from 1856 to 1859. He was married in Rock Island, Ill., May 11, 1867, to Mary Thomas, also a native of South Wales. They have six children - Edward William, Effie May, Maud Irene, Luella Winnifred, Edna Bertha and Mamie Ethel. Mr. Morris is a member of the K. of H.
HOWARD B. MORSE, was born in Bath, Me., September 4, 1849, and two years later removed with his parents to Boston, Mass. He was educated in the public schools of that city, and was afterwards engaged in mercantile business there. Resided there until the spring of 1879, when he came to Kansas and entered the employ of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. Co. as timekeeper at Emporia. In November, 1882, he was appointed fuel agent of that road at Emporia, which position he now holds in addition to that of timekeeper. He has built for his own use one of the finest residences in the southwestern division of the city. He is a member of the City School Board, a member and trustee of the First Baptist Church of Emporia, a member of Emporia Lodge, No. 12, A., F. & A. M., and a member of the Roxbury Lodge, K. of H. He married Miss Carrie C. Curtis, of Boston, September 20, 1871, and they have four children - Alice A., Carrie M., John H., and Evelina.
G. W. & A. A. NEWMAN, dry goods merchants, began business in Emporia in 1869, under the firm name of Newman Bros. From 1872 to 1878 G. W. Newman carried on the business alone. His brother, F. C. then became associated with him, the firm name being G. W. Newman & Co. The first year's business amounted to $25,000. The sales in 1881 amounted to $200,000, sixteen men and women being employed by the establishment. The trade is almost exclusively retail, the house doing a little jobbing business. G. W. Newman is a native of Weld, Me., the date of his birth January 30, 1850. Here he resided until he came to Emporia. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. Mr. Newman was married in Emporia, March 6, 1873, to Nellie A. Storrs, daughter of Mrs. E. Storrs.
JAMES A. NEWLIN, farmer, Section 17, Township 19, Range 11, P. O. Emporia, was born July 24, 1839, in Chatham County, N. C. In 1852, he removed with his parents to Hamilton County, Ind., and three years later, in the fall of 1855, the family came to Kansas, locating on the north bank of the Cottonwood River, about three and a half miles southwest of the present site of Emporia. The subject of this sketch remained upon the farm preempted by his father at that time until his marriage. In the spring of 1861 he bought 80 acres of unimproved land situated on the south of the Cottonwood, which he began to improve, but in August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company C Eleventh Regiment Kansas Volunteers, and devoted the next three years to the preservation of the imperiled Union. He participated in all the engagements in which his company took part, except those of the first campaign. Was mustered out at Fort Riley, in August, 1865, and returned to his farm, which, however, he sold two years later. He then came to his present location, about two miles west of Emporia, where he has a farm of 100 acres, upon which he has made valuable improvements. His principle crop is corn; also raises some cattle and hogs, feeding most of his crops to his own stock. Mr. Newlin has held the office of Justice of the Peace four years, and is now serving his second year as Trustee of Emporia Township. He is a member of Emporia Lodge, No. 2, A. O. U. W. He married Miss Mahala L. Kirkendall, of Emporia, February 14, 1861, by whom he has had five children, of whom Edwin S., Frank A., and Clara M. are living.
DR. S. E. NORTHINGTON came to Emporia in April, 1879. He was born in Wilkesboro, Wilkes County, N. C., March 15, 1851, his parents removing to Taylorsville, Tenn., when he was about three years of age. In 1876, Dr. Northington settled in Raleigh, N. C., where he remained until he came to Emporia. He had previously studied dentistry at Abingdon, Va., and attended the Philadelphia Dental College, commencing practice at Taylorsville, his native town, in May, 1874. Here the doctor was also married to Luis Juda Ingram, a native of Wataga County, N. C. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., K. of H., and Methodist Episcopal Church.
HARRY E. NORTON, real estate agent, located in Topeka, Kas., July 3, 1856, and engaged in speculations of various kinds, until the close of the war. Subsequently being in the real estate business where he has been continuously engaged in the real estate operations, giving personal attention to his business, which is extensive and responsible, his investments for his patrons since locating in Emporia amounting to millions. Mr. Norton is a native of New Haven County, Conn., born June 22, 1830. At the age of twelve he was thrown on his own resources and engaged in the daguerreotype business in several Eastern cities, coming from New York City to Kansas.
DR. JOHN H. PAGE, physician and surgeon, came to Neosho Rapids, Kan., in June, 1857, where he remained two years and engaged in prospecting. He then returned to New York State, and in the spring of 1863, again came to Kansas, and entered the army as Acting Assistant Surgeon, United States army, remaining in the service until the close of the war, being stationed in the general hospital at Fort Scott. In 1865, he again returned to New York, and attended medical lectures, and 1866, located at Como, Whiteside Co., Ill., remaining there until the fall of 1867, at that time locating again at Neosho Rapids. In 1873, he entered the regular army as Acting Assistant Surgeon, and was stationed in that capacity at Fort Dodge two years and ten months, and subsequently at Fort Reno, Indian Ter., Fort Supply, Indian Ter., Larned, Kan., and Fort Wallace, Kan., until 1879, when he resigned, returning to Neosho Rapids, remaining there until he located in Emporia, March 1, 1882, where he has been associated with Dr. L. D. Jacobs since the middle of March of the same year. Dr. Page was born in Orleans County, N. Y., February 21, 1837. He moved while a lad with his father's family to Genesee County, N. Y., and subsequently studied medicine with Dr. Root, at Batavia, attend the medical department of the Buffalo University, and graduated from Berkshire Medical College, at Pittsfield, Mass. He was married in Elba, Genesee Co., N. Y., to Isabelle F. Barrett, of Elba. They have three children - Ones F., Joseph B., and Ethel. Dr. Page is a member of Lyon County Medical Society, Rock River Union Medical Society of Illinois, and the Kansas State Medical Society.
LOUIS S. PAGE, photographer, was born in Waterville, Me., October 8, 1843. His early life was spent in Maine and Vermont. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted as a private in the Third Regiment Vermont Volunteers, and served through the war. Was in the army of the Potomac, Sixth Army Corps, and participated in the Peninsular campaign, and later battles of that army, until he was wounded in battle at Savage Station, which confined him to hospital life three months. Was again slightly wounded at the battle of Chancellorsville, and for the third time at the battle of the Wilderness. Was promoted to Sergeant; was transferred to the Shenandoah Valley, and participated in the battle of Winchester and others there. Was mustered out in July, 1865, and engaged in the manufacture of leather belting, at Lowell, Mass. Came to Kansas in May, 1873, locating at Emporia. In 1874, he started in business of photographer, and has now the leading gallery in the city, and does fine work. Is a member of Emporia Lodge, No. 2, A. O. U. W., and Emporia Legion No. 2, S. K.
CHARLES E. PAINE was born January 29, 1830, at Chester, N. Y. His early life was spent in New Hampshire, whence he removed in 1848, to Sheboygan County, Wis. In 1852, he went across the plains on foot, making the journey in five months. His party numbered forty-two men. They had considerable trouble with the Indians, and one fight with a force estimated to be about 300; killed eight Indians and came out victors, with the loss of only two men wounded. Mr. Paine spent four years in mining in California, with good success, then returned to Wisconsin and resided there four years. Came to Kansas in 1860, locating in Lyon County, which has since been his home. In 1861 he enlisted in the Second Kansas Regiment for three months, but was five months and a half in service. He was made Quartermaster Sergeant of his company. Participated in the battles of Forsythe, Dug Springs, Wilson's Creek and Shelbina, Mo. Was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth. Enlisted in the Eleventh Regiment, Kansas Infantry, in the fall of 1862. Participated in the battles of Old Fort Wayne, Indian Ter., and Cane Hill, Prairie Grove and Van Buren, and many skirmishes in Kansas. In the fall of 1863 the regiment was mounted and served as Cavalry. Mr. Paine was detailed as Forage Master of Gen. Ewing's command. In the spring of 1864, was appointed Commissary Sergeant of the regiment. During the Price raid he had charge of the Brigade train. In the spring of 1865 the regiment was sent to the plains, with headquarters at Platte River Bridge. Had several encounters and Indians. Mr. P., while in charge of a train of twenty-two wagons loaded with provisions, with an escort of forty men, was attacked by Indians, but succeeded in bringing his train safely to camp, with a loss of one man. He was mustered out of the service at Fort Leavenworth, in August, 1865, and returned to Lyon County, and was engaged in farming until 1877. Has a farm in Waterloo Township. In 1877, when the Patrons of Husbandry started a Grange store at Emporia, Mr. Paine was engaged as manager of the enterprise, and has continued in the position ever since, with the exception of one year when he was on his farm. He is a member of a wholesale and retail grocery business aggregating $60,000 per annum. He is a member of Ivy Grange, No. 521, P. of H. Is a member of the Protestant Methodist Church of Waterloo. Was a Justice of the Peace of Waterloo four years and a County Commissioner of Lyon County two years. Married Miss Ann Eliza Sickles of Fond du Lac, Wis., May 17, 1857, and has had by this marriage five children, of whom Edwin C., William H., Clarence A., and John W. are living.
F. P. PAYNE was born near Milton, Ky.; came to Kansas in 1869; resided in Emporia since. Educated at Normal School, State University and the University at Ann Arbor, Mich., where he graduated in law in 1876. Since which time he has practiced law at Emporia, Kas.
ISAIAH E. PERLEY, retired merchant, was born in Berlin, Vt., March 12, 1834. His early life was spent in Vermont. He came to Kansas n 1856 locating at Topeka, where he engaged in general merchandising. In 1859 he removed to Emporia and engaged in the same business, which he continued until 1880, when he retired. He is a member of Emporia Lodge No. 12, A., F. & A. M., Emporia Lodge No. 2, A. O. U. W., General Lodge, K. of H. and of Martha Washington Lodge, No. 400, K. and L. of H. He married Miss Mary J. Allen, of Rushford, N. Y., August 25, 1857, by which marriage he has had four children, of whom Lyman O., Maud H., and Jennie H., are living.
GEORGE B. PETERS came to Emporia, Kas., October 3, 1878, engaging in the sheep business, and bringing some full-blooded Merinos to the county, and some mixed French and Spanish Merinos, locating on Badger Creek, Jackson Township. He sold out about a year and half later, and in September, 1881, engaged in the hardware business. He dealt in heavy and shelf hardware, stoves and tinware, wholesale and retail. Mr. Peters is a native of Clifton Park, Saratoga Co., N. Y., and moved to Battle Creek, Mich., in 1851. He remained in the State until 1878, when he resided in Chicago for one year; then came to Kansas. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Mr. Peters was married in Kalamazoo County, February 10, 1853, to Elvia A. Sherman, a native of Climax Township, Kalamazoo County. They have three children - Isaac D., Ida M., and Edward R.
HON. E. B. PEYTON was born in Clark County, Ind., and was admitted to the bar of that State in 1851. Prior to coming to Kansas, he resided in Bowling Green, Clay Co., Ind., and engaged in the mercantile business. Judge Peyton located in Emporia, October 16, 1867, engaging at once in the practice of law. In 1871 and 1872 he filled the office of the Probate Judge, being elected District Judge in the fall of the latter year. He held the latter position from January, 1873, to January, 1881. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and I. O. O. F. The Judge was married in Washington Township, Clay Co., Ind., November 13, 1845, to Mahala Walker, a native of that place. They have six children living - William D., Charles A., Preston M., Amanda M., Mary A., and Ella L.
JAMES H. PHEANIS, retired, was born in Preble County, Ohio, February 1, 1823. While an infant, his parents removed to Indiana, and he was raised upon a farm in that State, where he continued to resided until he came to Kansas in the spring of 1855. He took a claim of 160 acres, about four and one-half miles southwest of the present site of Emporia, which was then an open prairie, without a house. There were but two settlers within the limits of the County at that time. He was elected a Delegate to the first Constitutional Convention held in the Territory. He has held several offices in Pike Township. He served in the State Militia thirty days, at the time of the Price raid. He continued to operate his farm until the spring of 1882, when he sold it and removed to Emporia, where he has purchased a residence and retired to the rest he so well earned. In November, 1882, he became a member of the Emporia Mercantile Company, who do a wholesale and retail grocery business; but he takes no active part in the business of the company. He is a member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church; also a member of Emporia Chapter No. 12, A., F. & A. M. He has been thrice married, first to Miss Sarah Stout, of Hamilton County, Indiana, in 1848. She died in 1856, and he married Mrs. Sabrah Way, of Emporia, in 1858 - this being the first marriage in the town. She was killed by lightning in 1877. He married Mrs. Elizabeth Allen Jenne, of Greenwood County, May 8, 1878.
MYRON S. PIPER, grocer, Emporia, was born in Erie County, N. Y., July 7, 1838, but moved to Wisconsin with his parents when only one year of age. Resided there until the death of his father in 1849, when he returned to New York and remained until 1853. He then went back to Wisconsin and resided in that State until the breaking out of the Rebellion when he enlisted as a private soldier in the Fourth Wisconsin Regiment. Was promoted to Sergeant. Served in the Department of the Gulf under Gens. B. F. Butler, and N. P. Banks, participating in the battles of Baton Rouge, Port Hudson, and other engagements. Was promoted to First Lieutenant of Company B, Eighty-fifth Regiment United States Infantry, colored, and did garrison duty at Port Hudson until the fall of 1864, when he was mustered out at Cairo, Ill. Returned to Wisconsin and opened a recruiting office at Madison. After the close of the war he taught school for a time in Wisconsin. Came to Kansas in the fall of 1867, locating in Lyon County. Taught school three years in Americus, then engaged in farming, to which he paid exclusive attention eight years. In the spring of 1880 he started in the retail grocery business in Emporia, but continues to operate the farm in addition to the grocery. Is a member of Americus Lodge No. 101, A., F. & A. M., and a member of Emporia Lodge No. 2, A. O. U. W. Married Miss Florence V. Glass, of Skaneateles, N. Y., November 10, 1869, and by this marriage has four children - Blanche I., Maud S., Florence and Pearl, all now living.
HON. PRESTON B. PLUMB was born in Delaware County, Ohio, October 12, 1837. He resided in Ohio until 1856, and received his early education in the common schools of that State. He came to Kansas in June, 1856, locating, in the fall of that year, in Saline County. The winter of 1856-57, he spent in Lawrence, and in March, 1857, located in Emporia. He was one of the original town company. He had been bred as a printer and educated as a journalist, and established the News, the first number being issued, June 6, 1857. His connection with the paper continued until 1862. He was admitted to the bar in 1861, and commenced the practice of law. IN 1862, he recruited two companies for the Eleventh Kansas Regiment, and was mustered into service as Second Lieutenant, August 12, 1862. He was successively promoted to Captain, to Major and to Lieutenant Colonel, and mustered out at Ft. Leavenworth, September 30, 1865. He returned to Emporia and resumed the practice of law. He was elected to the State Legislature, in 1866, and re-elected in 1867. In the fall of 1867, he formed a law partnership with Judge Ruggles, under the firm name of Ruggles & Plumb, and continued the practice of law until the dissolution of the partnership in 1872. He subsequently engaged in manufacturing and coal mining, at Osage. In January, 1873, he was elected president of Emporia National Bank. He was elected to the U. S. Senate, in February, 1877, and re-elected in 1883. For the honorable career of Senator Plumb, as a citizen of Kansas, the reader is referred to the history of the State with which his life is interwoven. As a journalist, a public-spirited citizen, and an ardent champion of his State, his name inseparably connected with all that gives a Kansan pride.