|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (GABLE - HACKBUSCH).
FRANK M. GABLE, came to Kansas in February, 1855, and located on Section 15, Township 9, Range 22. He lived on the farm until 1864, when he was married and settled on another farm in the same Section, where he now resides. Since March 1881 he has been engaged in the agricultural implement business. In Leavenworth, in 1879, he was elected a member of the State Legislature, from the Fifteenth District, and has also held various Township offices. He was born at Camden Point, Platte County, Mo., May 5, 1842. His father, Barabas Gable, settled in that county in 1839. He was married in Delaware Township, January 20, 1864, to Sarah E. Spears, a native of Tennessee, but reared in Kentucky. They have two children, living Julian and Spencer. Mr. Gable is a member of the A. F. & A. M., K. of H. Was Second Lieutenant Company K, Nineteenth Regiment Kansas Militia, commanded his company at Battle of Little and Big Blue, Independence, Mo., October, 1864.
ANDRE GALEND, manufacturer of boots and shoes, came to Kansas in 1858 and located in Leavenworth. He is a native of France. Was born October 5, 1825, and lived in his native country thirty years, coming to this country in 1856. Lived a while in Davenport, Iowa. Was married on the 10th day of December, 1846, to Miss Camille Aglade Debouleit, who was born in France. Has two children living - Alfred, Arthur, and a grandson, Albert.
THEODORE GARTMAN, foreman of Brandon & Kirmeyers brewery. Is a native of Gasconade County, Mo. Born May 22, 1848. In 1867 he began his profession of brewer, and followed it actively in Missouri till 1871, when he came here, and has been very reputably connected with it here since. In 1872 he married Miss Mary Barth, a native of Prussia. Mr. Gartman is an active member of the A. F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. societies here, and Chapter Knights Templar.
CHRISTOPHER GAUSZ, meat market, business established 1867. Mr Gausz was born in Baden, Germany, in 1845, and came to America with his people in 1854, who settled in Pittsburg(sic), Penn., where he was reared and educated. In 1861 he enlisted in Company B, Eighty-Second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, First Division, Sixth Army Corps, and was in active service till September 16, 1864, when he was honorably discharged as non-commissioned officer. During his service his service he participated in about eleven pitched battles and as many skirmishes. After the war he learned the trade of butcher, which he actively followed in Pennsylvania till 1867, when he came here and established himself in the business which he has very successfully conducted since. In 1871 he married Miss Mary Baker, who was born and reared in Sheffield, Ill.; born in 1856. They have a family of three sons and two daughters - Catherine, William, Albert, Annie and Christopher (Jr.). In 1854, Christopher Gausz (father of the above), died of cholera, and is buried in the cemetery at Pittsburgh, Pa., aged forty-four years. In 1878, Mrs Catherine Gausz, wife of the deceased, died, aged sixty years. She is buried in Mount Muncie Cemetery here. Her maiden name was Peppes.
GOTTLIEB GEIGER is a contractor, and at present is Street Commissioner of Leavenworth. He came to Kansas in 1858, and located in Leavenworth, and has lived here since. He has served in the City Council two years, and was for two years a member of the County Board of Commissioners. Mr. Geiger is a native of Germany, and lived in that country twenty-one years. He emigrated to America; has lived in Pennsylvania, Illinois and Iowa. He was born in 1830; was married in Columbia, Lancaster Co., Pa., in 1852, to Miss Elizabeth Rigg, who was born in Germany. They have had six children, all are living - Lizzie, Adam, John, Honor, Henry and Emma. Mr. Geiger is one of the old settlers of Leavenworth, and has been prominently identified with the business interests of that city, and is one of the most substantial citizens. He is a member of the Odd Fellows society, and the Encampment, and Knights of Pythias, also of the Masonic fraternity.
CARL E. GEILER, general groceries, was born in Saxony Germany, in 1835. Learned the trade of machinist at the age of fourteen, and followed it in the old country till 1865, July 11, when he came to America and settled here the same year, and was engaged in carpentering successfully till 1874, when he established the present business, which he has ably carried on since. In 1863 he married Miss Wilhelmina Swenson, who was born in Stockholm, Sweden, in 1831, and who departed this life August 29, 1882. She is buried in Mount Muncie Cemetery here, leaving one adopted daughter and niece, Ida Gelier.
PATRICK GELSTIN, carpenter and builder, came to Kansas in 1857, and located in Leavenworth, and has lived here since. He was in the lumber business for a few years. Mr. Gilstin was born in Ireland, and lived there until he was twenty years old. He came to America in 1837, and resided in Pittsburgh, Pa., for twenty years; he then came to Kansas. He was married in Pittsburgh to Miss Mary McClenlen, who was born in Ireland. They have had two children - Margaret and Martha. Mr. Gelstin is an old resident of the State of Kansas, and a respected citizen. He is a member of the Catholic Church.
AUGUST GENUIT, wholesale and retail grocer in Leavenworth since 1869, was born in Brockhagen, Westphalia, Germany, December 26, 1841. He came to America in 1864, resided in Baltimore one summer, in New York one year, and one season in St. Louis, before coming to Leavenworth in 1866. He was then engaged in bookkeeping until he commenced his present business. He was married May 10, 1868, to Anna Schaanhorst, a native of Quackenbrick, who died July 14, 1878, leaving six children - Louise, Meta, Herman, Ida, Oscar and Hattie.
EDWARD GERAUGHTY, grocer, was born February 22, 1850, at Bolls Place, Huntingdon County, Pa. Parents moved in 1854 to Stevens Point, Wis. Early education was received at the public school in Stevens Point. About one half the time from eight to twelve years of age was employed at farm work. At the age of twelve was employed for one year with a merchant, who kept a general stock. From 1863 to 1867 was employed at various works, blacksmithing, farming, running the river, etc. In June 1867, at the age of seventeen, left home for Leavenworth, Kansas, and worked the first year for a grocer. The next fourteen years was employed with one man, a soap manufacturer, as traveling salesman, excepting three years, 1871, 1872, and 1873, which were spent at school, - one term at Cape Girardeau, Mo., the balance of the time at the State University of Wisconsin, at Madison. Belongs to no secret or benefit societies. Believes that everyone, so far as pecuniary benefit is concerned, should depend upon himself. Temperance, honesty, and a mans family, are associations enough for any man. Was married June 18, 1878, to Annie Cushing, a graduate of the State Normal School, at Leavenworth. Wife was born at Marshall, Ill., March 2, 1855. Have three children - Edward, John and Robert. February 22, 1882, established himself in the grocery business, having bought out Lewis Mayo, who had been in the business since the war. Is doing a good business, and has a pleasant home.
J. H. GILLPATRICK, attorney at law, is a native of Blue Hill, Hancock Co., Me. When a lad of fifteen he came to Kansas and located in Shawnee County, and the following year joined a Topeka Company, and served through the troubles of 1856 under Gen. Lane. In 1859 he returned to his native State, and after reading the law was admitted to the bar at Bath, Maine, in April, 1862. During the same year he came again to Kansas, and served first as Major, and afterwards as Lieutenant Colonel, of the Second Kansas Colored Infantry, afterward Eighty-third Colored United States Infantry. After leaving the service he practiced law at junction City until 1871, in the meantime serving as County Attorney of Davis County. In 1871 he removed to Leavenworth, and was elected State Senator in 1876, serving as City Attorney two years while in the Senate.
JOHN GIMPER, superintendent of Leavenworth Gas Works, appointed to present position in the fall of 1870. Mr. G. was born in Zurich, Switzerland, January 24, 1840. In 1855 he entered the polytechnic school in Zurich, taking a full course and making a special study of chemistry. In 1860 he came to the United States, and located in Nashville, Tenn. In 1862 he moved to Philadelphia, Pa., and then went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was employed in the laboratory of William Gordon & Bros. In 1864 he went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, where he engaged in refining oil. Shortly after closed out his interests, and settled in St. Louis, Mo., where he put up a factory for the manufacture of lubricating oils, and was appointed manager of the establishment. In 1868 he settled in Leavenworth, Kan., where he engaged in mercantile business until he engaged himself with the gas company. Mr. G. was married in Leavenworth, Kan., October 15, 1874, to Miss Ida Cretors of that city, formerly of Lebanon, Ohio. They have one child - Earl H. Mr. G. is a member of the lodge and chapter in the Masonic fraternity, and of the Metropolitan Lodge No. 27, I. O. O. F. He is also a member of the Western Gas Light Association.
MAYOR GOLDSMITH, cigar manufacturer, came to Leavenworth in June, 1862 and has since that time engaged in the cigar manufacturing and dealing in tobacco, now employing on an average fourteen hands. He was born in Amsterdam, Holland, September 9, 1842; emigrated to America in the summer of 1860, and first located and carried on the manufacture of cigars in New York City. He was married in Leavenworth, November 26, 1871, to Dove Blumenthal, a native of Prussia. They have four children - Sarah, Carrie, Leon, and Alfred. Mr. Goldsmith is a member of the A. F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., Free Sons of Israel and Bnai-Brith, having been twice president of the latter society and junior and senior warden of the A. F. & A. M.
A. GOLDTHWAIT, master mechanic Kansas Central Division U. P. R. R., was appointed to present office August 1, 1881. Mr. G. was born in Franklin County, Mass., November 18, 1836. Was educated in his native county and commenced his trade in railroad shops in Boston, Mass., on Fitchberg & Boston R. R. in 1854. In 1856 moved to Chicago, where he became connected with the Chicago & Galena Union R. R. in locomotive department. In 1857 had a position as engineer on Lake Michigan steamboat, continuing three seasons. He then returned to the Galena & Chicago Union and took a locomotive, which he ran until 1864, when he took a position on the C., R. I. & P. R. R. as locomotive engineer. While with the latter Company he ran the silver- plated locomotive America for two years. In 1871 he moved to Leavenworth to take charge of the round-house of the C., R. I. & P. R. R. at that point; this position he retained until he accepted his present one. Mr. Goldthwait was married in Chicago in February, 1859, to Miss Julia Brosnan, a native of Massachusetts. They have five children living - Anna, who is married, Adda, Willie, Ida and Mary. Mr. Goldthwait is a member of A., F. & A. M., and B. of L. E.
ANDREW GORSKIEWICZ, grocer and baker, was born in Prussia, 1835, and learned the trade of baker there at the age of fifteen. In 1860 he came to America and settled in Michigan, and in April, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Second Michigan Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged as veteran of Company A, Second Michigan Volunteer Infantry, a title he very justly deserved, as he was a brave soldier and fought in almost all the pitched battles of the war. After the war he came here and has been actively connected with his business since. In 1866 he married Miss Lizzie Moritz, who was born in Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany, and came to America in 1848. They have a family of one son and five daughters - Joseph, Bertha, Frances, Agnes, Louisa and Minnie.
GEORGE GRAHAM, head engineer coal shaft, was born in the County Durham, England, in 1842, and learned his profession there at the age of sixteen, and followed it actively until 1868, when he came to America and located in Springfield, Ill., where he was reputably connected with his profession until the present year, when he came here. In 1861 he married Miss Mary Ann Armstrong. They have a family of six sons and one daughter - William, Mathew, Mary Ann, Thomas, James, John and Albert.
F. P. GRANT, horticulturist, was born near Birmingham, England, in 1815, and was educated to the tailoring profession. In 1841 he came to America and carried on his profession at St. Louis until 1850, when he came here and after spending some years in the Territories and on the Pacific coast, he returned here, in 1857, with his family, and was actively identified with the grocery and produce trade for several years, after which he retired from the grocery business and has been actively connected with his present business since. In 1834 he married Miss Ann Morris, who was born in his native place in 1810. They have a family of two sons and three daughters - William D., engaged in pork packing in St. Louis; Albert P., and extensive sheep dealer in St. Louis; Alice J., now Mrs. George McKenna, carpenter, of Leavenworth; Ellen, now Mrs. Charles Denoyer, painter, and Augusta A., who is yet single.
JOHN GRAY, Wholesale and retail dealer in grain, produce and agricultural implements. Mr. Gray was born in Glengarry County, Canada, in 1822, and was identified there with the farming industry. In 1864 he located in Oakland County, Mich., and carried on farming there until 1870, when he located here and has been actively connected with the commission business since. In 1844 he married Miss Ann Wilkinson, who was born in England and reared in Durham County, Can. They have a family of five sons and five daughters - Thomas, a farmer of Jefferson; Stephen, William and Robert, associated with the father in business, and John, a mechanic; Mary J., now Mrs. A. G. Talbot; Margaret E., Ann, now Mrs. A. P. Shrieves; Matilda and Olive.
JAMES M. GRAYBILL was born at Marietta, Lancaster Co., Pa., April 25, 1845. When a youth he went to the vicinity of Carlisle, Cumberland Co., Pa., where he resided until he was eighteen years of age. He then removed to Mount Joy, Pa., and was employed in that place in 1864 as bookkeeper of the First National Bank. In 1866 he went to Columbia, Pa., where he was bookkeeper in the First National Bank of that place, and remained in that position until he removed to Kansas, in August, 1870. On locating at Leavenworth, he entered the employ of Scott & Co. as bookkeeper, which position he retained until the business of that firm was merged, in 1874, into that of the First National Bank, of which he became assistant cashier in 1875, and cashier in 1880, now holding the latter position. Mr. Graybill was married in Leavenworth, February 6, 1872, to Miss Buena V. Scott, sister of Lucien Scott of that city. He is a Knight Templar, a Free Mason, and an Odd Fellow.
HON. HENRY T. GREEN, attorney at law, was born in Hanover, Va., sixteen miles north of Richmond. He was educated in his native State; admitted to the bar in Richmond, Va., in 1850, and commenced practice in the same city. He came to Leavenworth in 1854, prior to which he had spent a year in New Orleans and Cuba, a year in Baltimore, Md., and a year in Saline County, Mo. He has been engaged in practicing law from that time until the present, and has always been a staunch and earnest supporter of the principles of the Democratic party.
HON. H. C. F. HACKBUSCH, son of Henry J. F. and Dorothea Schroeder Hackbusch, was born September 11, 1832, at Marnitz, Germany. He was brought up in the Lutheran Church, of which both his parents were members, and was educated in the Frederick Franz College at Parchim Mecklenburg, Schwerin. He emigrated to America in 1851 and located at Dubuque, Iowa. Here he was connected with the Miners Express winter of 1852. In 1853 he was with the Herald; in 1854 with the Tribune. In the spring of 1854 he discontinued newspaper business, and for three years was engaged in civil engineering for the Harbor Improvement Co. In 1857 he removed to Leavenworth, and after being engaged in surveying public lands for one year, entered the office of the United States Surveyor for Kansas and Nebraska as a draughtsman, and was employed in that branch of his profession for six months. He then returned to field duty as a surveyor, remaining on the plains until he resigned this position and returned to field duty, in which he was engaged until the summer of 1869, when he was appointed by Hon. C. W. Babcock chief clerk in the office of the Surveyor General of Kansas, which position he accepted. In 1873 he was appointed United States Surveyor for Indian Reservations in the Territories, and held that office until 1875, surveying being then temporarily discontinued. He was married in Dubuque, Iowa, January 25, 1869, to Augusta S., daughter of Dr. Asa, (sic) Horr, an eminent physician of that city. They have had five children, Henry being the only one living. Edward was drowned in the Missouri River March 8, 1881, when nearly nine years of age.