William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 18] [part 16] [Cutler's History]


G. T. BITTMAN was born in Phaltz, Germany, in 1827. In 1832 he emigrated to America, and lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, the most of the time until 1855, when he went to Dubuque, Iowa, and remained there until he came to Kansas, and located at Leavenworth, in April, 1858. He brought with him from Iowa at that time a small stock of flour, etc, and started in the grocery business in the fall, doing from $30,000 to $40,000 the first year, which business has so increased that it now amounts to from $900,000 to $1,200,000 per annum. Mr. Bittman, was married in Leavenworth, in 1863, to Miss Matilda Moorehead, a native of Ireland. They have three children living - Hattie, Edward and Frank, and an adopted daughter, Lizzie.

SAMUEL BLACK, passenger conductor L., T. & S. W. R. R.; was born in Burlington County, N. J., December 31, 1844. He was educated in his native county. In 1862 he moved to Kansas and settled in Leavenworth. Was engaged in clerking about two years, and then became connected with contracting firms engaged in Government freighting across the plains. From 1869 to 1872 was engaged in clerking in a real estate office in Leavenworth. In the latter year he took the position of station agent at Holton, for the Kansas Central Railroad; a few months later was appointed agent at Leavenworth; while in this position he at times had charge of excursion and extra trains. In 1879 he moved to Leadville, Col., where he engaged in grain business a few months later became connected with the D. & R. G. R. R., as commissary clerk; a few months later was placed in charge of the train. In February, 1882, he returned to Leavenworth to take present position. Mr. Black was married in Wyandotte County, Kansas, to Miss Flora J. Pratt, of that county. They have one child - Olive I. Mr B. is a member of the Lea Lodge, Nbo. 2, and Far West Encampment, I. O. O. F. Is a member of the Grand Lodge and Encampment; is P. G. P. of the latter. Is also a member of Ivenhoe Lodge K. of P., and Neligh Lodge of K. of H.

[Picture of H. L. BICKFORD] HARVEY L. BICKFORD first came to Leavenworth in 1857. For four years he was employed in ranching on Big Turkey Creek, on the Santa Fe Trail, and in 1862-62 he located at Topeka, and engaged in freighting between Leavenworth and Fort Lyon, Colorado. In the spring of 1866 he removed to Leavenworth and purchased property opposite the city, and in the fall of the same year engaged in the transfer of passengers and freight, which he continued until the Leavenworth bridge was built. Since that time he has been engaged in Government contracts - grain and fuel chiefly - his contracts in 1881 amounting to $150,000. He has a contract for Government freighting in the Indian Territory, and has there a herd of 1,500 head of cattle. He is a native of Peacnam, Caledonia Co., Vt, where he was born December 2, 1835 and lived there until he moved to Kansas. He was married in Barton, Vt., in 1859, to Abbie Dexter, who died in 1863, leaving one child, Nellie C. Mr. Bickford was married to his present wife, Mary E. (Dexter) Bickford April 18, 1865. She is a sister of his first wife, and a native of Caledonia County. They have buried their only two children. Mr. B. is a member of A., F. & A. M. and K. of H.

WILLIAM O. BLACK, locomotive engineer Kansas Central Division U. P. R. R.; was born in Newton Hamilton, Mittlin County, Pa, July 21, 1849. He moved to Kansas in 1864 and settled in Leavenworth. Was engaged in freighting across the plains most of the time up to 1868. He then commenced his railroad life as brakemen on the K. P. R. R.; the same year served six months in the Nineteenth Regiment, Kansas Volunteers, in a campaign against the Indians. In 1871 returned to the K. P. R. R. in his former station. In 1872 commenced with the Kansas Central Railroad as fireman, and was promoted to engineer in 1876. Mr Black was married in Jewell County, Kansas, May 5, 1873, to Miss Van Dusen, of that county. They have three children - William C., Howard T. and Fred M. Mr. B. is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and of Ivanhoe Lodge No. 14, K. of P.

COL. A. P. BLUNT, Governor of the Leavenworth Military prison, is a native of Caledonia County, Vt., where he was born. He has been in continuous military service of his country for twenty-two years, during which time he has achieved the highest reputation as a brave and efficient commander and a faithful and trustworthy agent of the Government. The following record of his commissions and the orders assigning to duty trace his military career with an eloquence which requires no elucidation: Commissions - June 6, 1861, Adjutant of the Third Regiment Vermont Volunteers; September 25, 1861, Lieutenant-Colonel of the Sixth Regiment Vermont Volunteers; March 4, 1864, Assistant Quartermaster of Volunteers, with the rank of Captain in the service of the United States; May 10, 1866, Major United States Volunteers by brevet, for faithful and meritorious services; March 20, 1866, Lieutenant-Colonel United States Volunteers by brevet; April 5, 1866, Colonel United States Volunteers by brevet; May 28, 1866, Brigadier-General Unites States Volunteers; March 30, 1867, Assistant Quartermaster, with the rank of Captain; June 18, 1868, Major United States Army by brevet, for gallant and meritorious services at the battle of Lee's Mills, April 16, 1862; June 17, 1868, Lieutenant-Colonel United States Army by brevet, for meritorious services at the battle of Savage Station, June 29, 1862; June 15, 1868, Lieutenant-Colonel United States Army by brevet, for meritorious services during the war. Orders - April 24, 1864, instructed to report to Commanding General, Department of Virginia and North Carolina, for assignment to duty. May 4, 1864, assigned to duty as Depot and Issuing Quartermaster of the expedition to sail from Yorktown; on duty from April 25, 1864, to October 11, 1864. October 7, 1864 authorized to turn over all property to Capt. C. E. Walbridge, and to report to Col. R. C. Webster, Chief Quartermaster, Department of Virginia and North Carolina. October 12, 1864, directed to proceed to Norfolk, Va., and relieve Maj. Nelson Plato, Acting Quartermaster. July 14, 1865, relieved from duty at Norfolk, and assigned to duty as Depot Quartermaster at Fort Monroe, Va. July 31, 1866, relieved from duty at Fort Monroe, and assigned to duty as Chief Quartermaster, Department of Virginia. August 23, 1866, assigned to duty as Chief Quartermaster, Department of the Potomac, with the rank, pay and emoluments of a Colonel of the Quartermaster's Department. April 11, 1867, assigned to duty as Chief Quartermaster, First Military District. August 17, 1867, relieved and ordered to report in person to Bvt. Brig. Gen. J. C. McFerran, Department Quartermaster General, for duty as his assistant; assigned to duty at Lincoln Depot, under letter of Depot Quartermaster, Washington, D. C. March 1, 1869, assigned to duty in charge of the Quartermaster's Department Depot at Charleston, S. C. March 21, 1870, relieved from duty at Charleston, S. C., and ordered to report for duty in person to Commanding General, Department of Missouri, subsequently amended to read "Division of Missouri," by special orders No 76. July 8, 1870, ordered to report to the Commanding General and Chief Quartermaster, Department of Dakota, for assignment to duty.July 12, 1870, assigned to temporary duty in the office of the Chief Quartermaster of the Department. August 26, 1879, assigned to duty as Post Quartermaster at Fort Buford, D. T. May 20, 1873, directed to transfer funds, property, etc., of the Quartermaster's Department in his possession to First Lieut. C. G. Penny, Regimental Quartermaster Sixth Infantry, having received leave of absence for thirty days, on surgeon's certificate of disability; on sick leave from May 30, 1873, to June 30, 1873. October 4, 1873, assigned to temporary duty at Boston, Mass., as Chief Quartermaster of the Second Quartermaster's District, Department of the East. June 4, 1874, relieved from the duties connected with the Quartermaster's Department at Boston, and ordered to report in person to the Commanding General, Military Division of the South. June 30, 1874, ordered to report to the Commanding Officer, Nashville, Tenn., for duty as Post Quartermaster. April 30, 1875, ordered to report to the Commanding General, Department of Missouri, for duty at the United States Military Prison. June 8, 1875, relieved of the charge of the National Cemeteries at Nashville, Memphis, Murfreesburo and Fort Donelson, Tenn. June 4, 1875, assigned to duty at the United States Military Prison; on duty from June 4, 1875 to March 1, 1877. February 26, 1877, ordered to perform the duties of Governor of the Military Prison; on duty from March 1, 1877, to the present time. April 25, 1877, relieved from duty as Quartermaster of the Leavenworth Military Prison.

VALENTINE BOEPPLER, liquor dealer, is a native of Germany; learned the trade of carpenter there, which he followed till 1859, when he came to America and settled here the following year. After following his trade here till 1864, he established a grocery and liquor business, which he carried on actively till 1874, when he retired from the grocery business, and has actively followed his present business since. In 1858 he married Miss Margaret Kaul, in Germany. They have a family of four sons and three daughters - Margaret, Valentine, Fredericka, Charles, William, Fritz and Rosa. Mr. Boeppler did active service in the Militia of his adopted State during the war, and has been an active member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P. societies here. Is a member of the Encampment I. O. O. F. here.

W. G. BOLMAN, insurance agent, came to Leavenworth in the spring of 1863, and for many years was engaged in the grocery business. For the past six years he has been in insurance business, and also connected with the firm of Wilson & Fenlon, government contractors. He is a native of Nova Scotia, and prior to locating in Leavenworth lived in the West Indies about two years, and four years in New York City. He has been for three years Clerk of the Board of Education, and is a member of I. O. O. F., Metropolitan Lodge, Leavenworth City.

HUGO BONESS, superintendent of the lumber industry of J. Ingersoll. Was born in Germany in 1852, and learned the trade of carpenter and joiner in his native country. In 1871 he came to America and settled in Leavenworth the same year, and carried on his trade actively till 1880, when he accepted his present position, which he reputably holds. In 1877 he married Miss Wilhelmina Foell, a native of Missouri. They have one son - Hugo. Has been an active member of the Knights of Pythias Society here since 1874.

JOHN R. BOYD, dentist, has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Leavenworth since February, 1866. He was born near St. Louis, Mo., and was married in Shelbyville, Ky., in 1865, to Unetta S. Caldwell, of Shelby County, in the same State. Dr. Boyd has practiced dentistry since 1859, in Kentucky and Missouri, prior to his removal to Kansas. He is a member of the Kansas State Dental Association, of K. of P., and K. of H. Dr. and Mrs. Boyd have four children - Ruby R., Mamie M., Carleton and Dana Caldwell.

C. B. BRACE was born in Farmington, Ontario Co., N. Y., January 4, 1822. During his early life he resided for some years in Canandaigua, N. Y., and afterward for several years at Penn Yan, N. Y. He removed to St. Paul, Minn., in 1856, and thence to Kansas in 1857. He located in Leavenworth February 22, 1857, his family arriving the following May. For two years he was engaged in real estate and insurance business. In 1859 he engaged in the wholesale dry goods trade, in partnership with William Watson, firm name of Watson & Brace. Mr. C. W. Perkins was subsequently admitted as a partner, and the firm became Watson, Brace & Co. In 1861 Mr. Brace sold out his interest in this firm, and engaged in the wholesale hardware business, in which he continued until 1874. In March, 1875, he became interested in the Kansas Manufacturing Company, and was made treasurer of the company, which position he still retains. Me Brace was married in Penn Yan, Yates Co., N. Y., to Harriet N. Taylor, daughter of James Taylor, Esq., of Penn Yan. Mr. and Mrs. Brace are members of the First Congregational Church. Their six children are - maria P., a teacher of elocution at Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y.; Catherine S., wife of W. W. Gillpatrick, U. S. N., Charles T., recent graduate of the literary department of Michigan University; Caroline H., deceased; Walter C., with Insley, Shire & Co., bankers and James F., still a student.

JAMES BRADY, came to Kansas in 1867 and located in Leavenworth City, and has remained here since. He is a native of Dublin, Ireland, and was born in 1813, and was about twenty-tow years old when he emigrated to America. He lived in Ohio, and enlisted in the Ninth Illinois Infantry, at Cairo, and served with that regiment during the war. He was wounded at the battle of Corinth; was married at Keokuk, Iowa, in 1863, to Elizabeth Holehan, who was born in County Meath, Ireland. They have had no children. Mr. Brady enlisted in the army in 1861, in the three months' service, and on the expiration of his term of service he re-enlisted for three years, and served out the full term. He is a member of the Catholic Church.

T. L. BRAIDWOOD, superintendent of the stove department Great Western Manufacturing Company. Appointed to present position in March, 1874. Mr. Braidwood was born in Utica, N. Y., May 23, 1822. His parents moved to Albany about 1824. He received his schooling in this city, and then learned the moulder's trade in West Troy, and followed it in Troy and Albany. Was prominently identified with politics, being an enthusiastic member of the Republican party. For some time was connected with the railway mail service on the New York and Albany route. In 1870 he removed to Kansas and settled in Cowley county, intending to go into cattle raising and farming with his son. The latter's death changed his plans and he moved to Leavenworth. Shortly afterward went to Albany, N. Y., to take a position of superintendent at Ransom's foundry. He returned to Leavenworth in 1873, and became connected with the Great Western Company. Mr Braidwood was married in Albany, N. Y., July 4, 1844, to Miss Marian Burgess, of Albany. They have four children - John, Marian (now Mrs. C. C. Black), Thomas, Annie (now Mrs. Allison). Mr. B. is a member of the Leavenworth City Council. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.

CLAMANS BAMLAGE, of the firm of Bamlage & Schurze, wagonmakers and general blacksmithing; was born and reared in Ohio, and began his trade there, which he afterwards completed here, having come here at the age of fifteen years, in 1860; he followed his trade as journeyman till 1882, when he joined the present partnership. In 1874 he married Miss Annie Kast, who was born in Bavaria, in 1850, and came to America in 1870. They have a family of three sons and one daughter - John, Joseph, Edward and Annie.

JOHN BRANDON, of the Brandon Kiemeyer Brewing Company, was born in Ashton under the Line, Lancashire, Eng., August 27, 1831. He came to the United States in 1848 and settled in Lowell, Mass. He received his schooling in England and studied engineering. In 1849 he settled in St. Louis, Mo., where he followed his profession and afterward engaged in the manufacture of soda water, in which he continued until he moved to Kansas and settled in Leavenworth in 1858. He then organized the firm of Block & Brandon.

HON. DAVID JOSIAH BREWER, was born in Smyrna, Asia Minor, June 20, 1837. His father, Rev. Josiah Brewer, was a missionary to the Greeks in Turkey at the time of his birth. His mother, Emillia A. Field Brewer, was a sister of David Dudley and Cyrus W. Field. The subject of this sketch commenced his collegiate studies at the Wesleyan University at Middletown, Conn, but subsequently entered the junior class at Yale College, New Haven, Conn., from which he graduated with high honors in 1856. He completed his law studies at the Albany Law School, from which he graduated in 1858. He then came West, spent a few months in Kansas City, and then journeyed farther West up the Arkansas River to Pike's Peak. He remained in the Colorado regions until the following June, when he returned to Kansas and after a short visit to his eastern home, settled finally, September 13, 1859, at Leavenworth, Kan., where he has since been a resident. Since he settled in Leavenworth he has been an honored citizen by almost continuous election to offices of honor and trust. In 1861 he was appointed United States Commissioner; in 1862 he was elected Judge of the of Probate and Criminal courts of Leavenworth County; in 1864 was elected Judge of the District Court for the first Judicial District of the State of Kansas; in 1868 was elected attorney of Leavenworth County; in 1870 was elected Justice of the Supreme Court and reelected to the same position in 1876, and again in 1882 for a third term. Among the many minor offices with which he has been honored by his neighbors, are the following: member of the Board of Education of Leavenworth City in 1863-64; President of the School Board in 1865; City Superintendent of Schools in 1865-68; Secretary of the Mercantile Library Association 1862-63, and its President in 1864; President of the State Teachers' Association in 1868; and Secretary and one of the Trustees of Mount Muncie Cemetery Association, the public cemetery of Leavenworth City, since its organization in 1866. He was married October 3, 1861, to Miss Louise R. Landon, of Burlington, Vt. They have four daughters, all living, Harriet E., Etta L., Fannie A., and Jeanie E. During the long period of twelve years, which have passed since Judge Brewer's first election to the Supreme bench, he has by the judicial ability and integrity which has characterized his decisions, won distinction for himself and eminence as a jurist, as well as elevated the standard of excellence of the court over which he presides. It has in the past been truthfully said of him, and the truth brightens as the years roll on - 'He has honestly merited the confidence and respect which is so universally tendered him by the legal fraternity of Kansas, and is an honor to the bench he adorns.'

H. H. BRICKLEY, architect, was born in Troy, N. Y., May 17, 1855. He commenced his professional studies at Albany, N. Y., working on competitive drawings of the new State Capitol of that city. His studies were completed in Boston and he commenced practice as a member of the firm of Boyd & Brickley, in Evansville, Ind.; remaining there four years. He was afterward engaged as an architect in Philadelphia, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Kansas City, leaving the latter place in November, 1881, to serve as assistant architect with E. T. Carr, in the construction of the Kansas State Capital at Topeka. He removed to Leavenworth in April, 1882.

J. H. BROOKS, superintendent of the new opera house and city bill-poster, was born in Barre, Mass., December 26, 1822. He moved to New York about 1840, when he became connected with Tom Hamlin in the old Bowery theater, holding the position of doorkeeper, etc. In 1854 he moved to Boston, where he engaged in the bleaching business. About 1863 moved to Chicago, Ill., continuing the bleaching business there. In 1861 he enlisted in Company A, First Massachusetts Cavalry and was discharged on account of disability in 1862. He returned to Massachusetts and shortly afterward moved to Chicago. In 1866 he settled in Leavenworth, where he opened an establishment for bleaching and pressing straw hats, etc. He was connected with the old opera-house five or six years, and was appointed to present position in October, 1879. Mr. Brooks was married in New York City in 1844 to Miss Schwaky of that city. They have five children - Mary A., now Mrs. Bates, Charles H., Sarah A., now Mrs C. Fisher, John A. and Abbie F.

A. W. BROWNE, observer U. S. Observatory, office established in Leavenworth, May 1871. Mr. Browne was born in Baltimore, Md., April 22, 1855. He was educated in his native city. Entered the Signal Service February 23, 1876; was appointed assistant at Baltimore after being advanced to observer; has had charge of offices at Norfolk, Va., Key West, Fla., Fort Arasa, Fla.; was appointed to present position in December, 1879.

ROBERT AND A. B. BROWN. The brothers, Robert and Alexander B. Brown, are enthusiastically musical. Born in Edinburgh, Scotland, of a musical family, they have been during their whole lives, more or less, connected with it. In Oberlin College they taught and as leaders of choir and musical union, they managed the musical matters. Alexander B. enlisted under the first call for troops in 1861, and organized a band for the Seventh Ohio Regiment; afterwards he graduated from the Boston Music School, then from Olivet College, where he was made Professor of Music and Elocution and organized the Michigan Conservatory of Music and Elocution, serving there until 1875, when he accepted the same position in Drury College and organized the Missouri Conservatory of Music and Elocution; from there he came, in 1881, to Leavenworth to co-operate more effectively in the work of preparing text books for the Kansas Conservatory of Music and Elocution and Collegiate School, of which he and his brother are mutual directors. Robert graduating from Oberlin College and Seminary left a Congregational pastorate to serve as agent of the Christian Commission, first in the South, then was ordered to Leavenworth and remained till the close of the war. Accepting a commission from the American Missionary Association, he operated as a religious worker organizing the Fifth Avenue Mission Church, of which he is now pastor, acting as the first chaplain of the Kansas State Penitentiary; when, by partial paralysis, he was precluded from professional service, he accepted the chair of reading and music in the Indiana State Normal School. Then the idea of the chart method came to him which, with the co-operation of his colleague, is so far perfected, under the name of "Browns' Prismatic Charts," as to secure the endorsement of Remenyl and other eminent artists, and promises to make the fame of their school world wide, because of the excellence and originality of its methods, and the culture and skill of its graduates.

WILLIAM BUMMER, is a practical miller in the employ of Kelly & Lysle. He came to Kansas in 1879 and has worked in Marion Center and elsewhere in the State. He was born in Germany and lived in his native country twenty-six years, then emigrated to America and has lived in New York, St. Louis, Mo., and Kansas. Mr. Brummer was born in 1843 and is a single man.

PETER BUBB, of the firm of Garrett & Co., lumber dealers, was born in Germany, 1833, and settled with his people in Wisconsin, where he was reared and educated. He was identified with his profession of mill-wright in that State till 1858, when he located here and engaged in the mercantile business, which he actively carried on for a few years, when he engaged in the present industry and has been actively identified with it since. In 1856 he married Miss Barbara Bergmann, a native of Germany, born in 1836. They have a family of two sons and two daughters - Peter (Jr.), bookkeeper; Mary, Jacob, in the grocery business, Lizzie. Mr. Bubb has always taken an active part in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of Leavenworth since locating here. Has been an active member of I. O. O. F., of which society he as passed through all the degrees and is at present a member of the Grand Lodge of the State.

F. C. BULKLEY was born at Havana, New York, May 6, 1833, and moved with his parents to Corning, Steuben Co., when he was six years of age, and resided there until February 20, 1856, when he left for Kansas, and arrived at Leavenworth March 10, 1856., and was employed by the United States Government until the fall of 1858, when he went to contracting for the Government at Fort Leavenworth. After traveling through all the States and Territories, Old and New Mexico, he settled down at Leavenworth and went to contracting for the Indian Department for furnishing supplies, in which business he is still engaged, besides farming near Fort Leavenworth and dealing in stock. Mr Buckley was married September 14, 1864, to Elizabeth F. Haitt, a daughter of Joel Hiatt, one of the oldest settlers of the State, coming to Kansas in the spring of 1854. Mrs. Bulkley was born near Richmond, Ind. They have five children, all of whom are living - Mary V., Andrew H., Josephine F., Savanah and F. C., Jr. Mr B. was among the earliest settlers of Kansas, and has seen a great deal of the ups and downs of that State, and has been active in the development of the resources of the State of his adoption.

MARVIN L BULKLEY, government contractor, came to the State of Kansas in 1855, and located in the city of Leavenworth; has lived here since, and has been engaged in the wood business. He is a native of Corning, Steuben Co., N. Y., and was born February 11, 1844, and lived in his native State about fourteen years. He was married in Leavenworth City, February 22, 1870, to Miss Mary R. Clough, who was born near St. Charles, Mo. They have three children living - Minnie E., Martin L. and Harvey C. Mr. Bulkley has been identified with the business interests of Kansas since his location here in 1855, and is one of the prosperous business men of this city.

MRS. DR. MARGARET BURDELL is engaged in the practice of her profession as a physician. She graduated about the year 1840, form the Ohio Medical College, and has practiced her profession in Ohio, Indiana, and Kansas, and in Leavenworth since 1861. Was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1822, and resided in her native place until she was twenty-six years of age, then moved to Indianapolis, and removed from there to Kansas, where she is now engaged in the practice of her profession, in the City of Leavenworth. Mrs. Burdell was married in Cincinnati, Ohio, to Dr. David, who died in about five years after their marriage, and she married Harvey Burdell, in Cincinnati. Her second husband has been dead about ten years. Has had five children. All of them are dead. Has one son - adopted - Willie Burdell. Mrs. Burdell has enjoyed good health and a strong constitution, and has by her untiring devotion to her profession built up a large and lucrative practice, and accumulated a very handsome property.

CAPT. SAMUEL BURKS, of the United States Government, was born in Amberst Co., Virginia, in 1816. At the age of fifteen he removed with his people, who settled in West Virginia, and at the age of eighteen engaged upon the Ohio River as pilot and afterward captain, in which capacities he was connected several years. He carried the Hannibal and St. Joseph packet from 1860 to 1865. In 1863 he landed the first rails and locomotive for the Union Pacific railway, at Wyandotte, being then in command of the "Aleck Majors." He has filled the position of Bailiff to the Court here for the last five years. He buried his wife and five children in Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati.

DR. D. BURRELL, dentist, came to Russell, Kan,. In 1878, and two years later located in Leavenworth. He was born near Ligonier, Westmoreland Co., Pa., June 28, 1828, and in 1872 removed to Freeport, Ill., where he resided until he removed to Russell. His literary education was acquired at Mount Pleasant, Pa., and his medical and professional at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and Western Reserve College, Cleveland, from the latter of which he graduated. He commenced the practice of dentistry in his native place in 1848 and has since continued in Illinois and Kansas. He was married at New Derry, Pa., May 6, 1851, to Caroline A. Fulton, of that place, who died November 25, 1862, leaving two children - Mary Ella, since deceased, and Charles Henry, now a farmer in Kent Township, Stephenson County, Ill. Dr. Burrell was again married at Pittsburg, Pa., November 7, 1865, to Esther C. Loughry, of Homer, Indiana Co., Pa. Their children are Willie Loughrie and Ada Felgar. Dr. B. is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of the Illinois State and Kansas State Dental Associated, of the A. O. U. W. and National American Association.

JOHN BUTT, proprietor O. K. Bakery, was born in Bradford, England, in 1823, and began his trade as baker there at the age of twelve years. In 1852 he came to America, and settled here in 1857, and has been actively connected with the baking business since with the exception of the first eleven years in the country, in which he followed painting. In 1861 he married Miss Hannah Barrington, who was born and reared in Canada. They have a family of four sons - Samuel E., Edward J., John A. and Frank W.

D. BYINGTON, ticket agent of the Missouri Pacific and Union Pacific railroads, and depot agent, was appointed to present position in January 1871. Mr. B. was born in Chenango Co., N. Y., February 20, 1831. He was educated in his native county, after living on a farm two or three years, and about 1854 engaged in mercantile and livery business, in his leisure moments studying telegraphy. In 1859 he moved to Terre Haute, Ind., where he took a position as telegraph operator, on the T. H. & A. railroad. In 1864 he came to Kansas as assistant manager of the Government Telegraph Lines, Department of Missouri, with headquarters at Leavenworth. In 1865 was appointed operator on the M. P. railroad, which position he retained until appointed ticket agent - In fact for some time filled both positions. Mr. Byington was married in Chenango Co., N. Y., January 9, 1855, to Miss Emily J. Eggleston of that county. He is a member of King Solomon Lodge 10, A. F. & A. M., Levenworth Chapter 2, R. A. M., Leavenworth Council No. 1, and Leavenworth Commandery No. 1. Has filled every office in the Subordinate and Grand Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, except Grand Master.

C. J. BYLES, freight agent of the Mo. P. railroad, appointed to present position in 1871. Mr. Byles was born in Princeton, N. J., November 18, 1839. In 1858 he located in St. Louis, Mo., engaging in clerical work. In 1861 enlisted in Company 1, First Regiment Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, went out as Orderly Sergeant, was commissioned Second Lieutenant in 1862. Resigned in 1863 and returned to Missouri. In 1866 he settled in Leavenworth, where he took a position as cashier in the Missouri Pacific freight depot, retaining this until appointed agent.

[TOC] [part 18] [part 16] [Cutler's History]