|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (CADELL - CORLETT).
JOHN H. CADELL, superintendent of the moulding department of Union Stove & Machine Works, was born in Liverpool, England, in 1837, and learned his profession of moulder there at the age of nineteen, when he came to America, and followed his profession in New York city till 1859, when he located here, and engaged in agricultural industry, which he subsequently abandoned, and engaged in his profession, with which he has been actively identified here since. Has been prominently connected with present firm since its organization. In 1860, he married Miss Ellen Nearmon, a native of Illinois. They have a family of two sons and three daughters - James, Lydia, Mamie, Jane, and Charlie. Mr. Cadell did active service as non commissioned officer of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, from its organization till the end of the war. Is a member of Leavenworth Post No. 120, G. A. R.; also an active member of the Society of Mechanics, No. 89, and of the I. O. O. F. Society.
HON. A. CALDWELL, was born on March 1, 1830, at Drakes Ferry, Huntington Co., Pa. At the age of forteen (sic) he went to Columbia, Lancaster Co., Pa., and in 1847 went as a soldier with his fathers company, Company M, Second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, to Mexico. James Caldwell, the father, was mortally wounded in the assault on the city of Mexico, September 13, 1847, and died in that city. His son, who was a private in his company was detailed to serv in the commissary department after the death of his father, and was recommended for a position in the regular army. After the close of the war in 1848 he returned to Pennsylvania and engaged in the hardware business for about four years, and was afterwards connected with the Columbia Bank until his removal to Kansas in January, 1861. He was then engaged in Government contracts, transporting military supplies to the various posts west of the Missouri River, employing 5,000 wagons with about twelve head of cattle to each wagon, and 10,000 men, the business amounting to about $3,000,000 per annum for a period of nearly seven years. Thomas A. Scott and other prominent Pennsylvania capitalists were associated with Mr. Caldwell in this business for two years under the firm name of Irwin, Jackman & Co., Mr. C. having charge; the firm was afterward A. Caldwell & Co. Mr. C. was the contractor for the construction of the Missouri River R. R. from Leavenworth to Kansas City, and subsequently Vice-President of the company. In 1868 he became President of the Leavenworth, Atchison and N. W. R. R., and constructed the road to Atchison. In 1871-72 he organized the Kansas Central R. R. Co., of which he was Vice-President. In 1868-69 he with others purchased the Delaware diminished reserve, consisting of 100,000 acres the patent being made direct to him, he having about one-tenth interest in the purchase, which gave him extensive stock farms. In 1868 he built extensively in Leavenworth, erecting buildings that year to the value of $100,000. In 1871 he was elected to the United States Senate, but resigned his position to give his attention to business interests which were being neglected. After his return from Washington in June, 1874, he organized the Kansas Manufacturing Company, which made the first year some 1,200 wagons, and now manufacture annually about 8,000, employing $500,000 capital. Mr. C. is also interested in the Kansas Organ Company, and is President of the Board of Trade, and President of the Idaho and Oregon Land Improvement Company which has for its object the organization of town companies.
ERASMUS THEODORE CARR, is a descendant from an old Scotch family who first emigrated from Scotland to the North Ireland, and from thence to America where his ancestors settled in Rhode Island, many years before the Revolution, in which struggle many of them bore an honorable part. He is the son of Almond Carr and Arathusa Maria Morse Carr, and is the eldest of a family of twelve children, who are at the present time all living. He was born in Greenfield, Saratoga Co., N. Y., October 28, 1825. His early education was obtained at the common schools, in the vicinity of his home. His ambition early in life was to be a builder, and when a mere boy worked during vacations at the various branches of mason's work, and had, before attaining his majority, become by study and application a master of the art he had chosen to follow as a profession, having thoroughly learned the trades of a bricklayer, mason and carpenter, and to make himself more proficient as a builder, had early commenced the study of architecture. In 1852 he moved to Syracuse, N. Y., where he remained, successfully following his profession as a builder until 1855, at which time he moved West, settling at first at St. Paul, Minn. While there he was offered the Assistant Superintendency of repairs, and building of newer and better structures at Fort Leavenworth, which position he accepted, and came to Kansas in the fall of 1855, and began the extensive work of building at the fort, which stands as an index of his skill, industry, and architectural taste - having soon been placed in charge of the work. He made a short visit to the East at the close of 1856, but returned soon after and opened an office in Leavenworth as an architect, since which time his professional reputation has become largely extended, and his rank is among the most able and skillful architects of the West; In 1859 he resumed work for the United States Government, constructing the Arsenal and Ordnance Depot. Soon after he received the appointment of Superintendent of all the works of the Ordnance Department at Fort Leavenworth, and removed his family to the fort, where he remained until 1871. During this time he planned the State Penitentiary, the Morris Public School, and many of the finest structures in Leavenworth. Since Mr. Carr ceased to be permanently employed by the government, he has been the architect of the following State buildings, in addition to the Kansas State Penitentiary, viz.: State Normal School at Emporia; Agricultural College, at Manhattan; Insane Asylum, at Topeka; Insane Asylum at Osawatomie; Institute for the Blind, at Wyandotte, and is the architect of the Kansas State Capitol, now in the course of erection. He is also architect of the Court Houses of Leavenworth, Wyandotte, Brown, Nemaha, Dickinson, and Morris counties, and schoolhouses and other buildings, large and small, in all parts of the State. Mr. Carr is a prominent Mason. He received his entered apprentice degree in Leavenworth, in 1856, and since that time has received nearly every degree of the Order, including the Thirty-third, and is an officer of the Supreme Council of the Southern Jurisdiction of the United States. He has held many offices in the State Grand Bodies, has been Secretary of the Grand Lodge, and Grand Chapter and Recorder of the Grand Commandery. He has held many other offices no less exalted than these. Mr. Carr was married December 8, 1859, at Leavenworth, to Miss Margaret Red Fern Cubbins, a lady of English parentage. They have one daughter Addie Bell, born June 21, 1862.
HENRY B. CALLAHAN, M. D., was born July 16, 1821, in Fleming County, Ky. He studied medicine in Cincinnati, Ohio, graduated from Ohio Medical College in the class of 1843, and commenced practice in Platte City, Missouri, in April of the same year. In February, 1856, he moved to Leavenworth, and in June, 1858, returned to Platte City, where he remained until January, 1866, when he finally located in Leavenworth, where he still resides. Dr. Callahan is a member of the Baptist Church, of the various temperance organizations, and of the A. F. & A. M. He is a widower, and has a family of five children - Pickett L., Lizzie J., Alfred, Mary (now Mrs. Geo. W. Early, of Leavenworth) and William T.
JOHN E. CARR, superintendent Leavenworth Coal Company. Appointed to present position in 1872. Mr. Carr was born in Newcastle on Tyne, England, June 8, 1840. His father was a professional miner and engineer, and John E. was educated for the same profession, taking a thorough course. In 1863, he came to the United States, and located in Streeter, Ill., where he leased coal lands and opened two shafts. He afterward sold out to the Vermillion Coal Company, and accepted a position as their superintendent. Resigned in 1869, and after visiting Kansas, located in Richmond, Mo., where he held the position of superintendent of coal mines, until he moved to Leavenworth to take present position. Mr. Carr has opened up several mines in Kansas and Missouri since his location in the State. Has been twice married; his first wife was Miss Jane Hayson, of Durham County, England. She died in Leavenworth, in August, 1878, leaving three children - William J. E., Alice A., Netta. He was married to his present wife in Leavenworth, in April, 1879. She was Miss Margaret St. Clair Russell of Leavenworth. They have two children, George R. and an infant. Mr. C. is a member of Leavenworth Lodge, No. 2, and Far West Encampment, No. 2, I. O. O. F.; also of Neligh Lodge, No. 1285, Knights of Honor.
MRS. AMANDA CARROLL, nee Lyons, retired widow of Peter Carroll, deceased. Mr. Carroll was born in Ulster County, N. Y., in 1826, March 28. Upon arriving at manhood, he engaged in the manufacture of brooms; dealt extensively in broom corn in the State, until 1858, when he came here, and for the first years was engaged in agricultural and garden business, but in 1867, he established a business in general groceries, which he carried on actively until his death, which occurred suddenly on 3d of June, 1881. He is buried in Mount Muncie Cemetery, leaving a family of his wife and two sons and one daughter. They are George, Charles, and Jennie now Mrs. Daniel Moody, of Cincinnati, Ohio. On the 27th of October, following his death, Mrs. Carroll buried their eldest son, Daniel J., beside the father. Mrs. Carroll is a native of Schenectady County, N. Y., but was reared and educated in Buffalo, N. Y. In 1850, she was married to Peter Carroll, deceased, with whom she shared a pioneer life her. Mr. Carroll did active service in defense of his State during the late civil war, and was an active and useful member of the society whose grand aim was for the furtherance of religious and temperance work in the State. He was a member of the Baptist Church.
L. CARROLL, superintendent of the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Works, Washington House. Mr. Carroll was born in Queens County, Ireland, in 1835, and came to America in 1853, and engaged for the first few years in civil engineering through Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, during which he was active in superintending the building of elevator machinery. In 1881, he located here, and subsequently accepted his present position, which he very ably represents. He was married in 1863, to Miss Honora J. McMahon, a native of Ohio.
PETER CARROLL, of the firm of Carroll & Reagan, contractors and builders, is a native of the County Monagha, Ireland, and came to America in 1851, at the age of thirteen, and settled in New York State, and learned his trade there. In 1856, he went to Chicago, and after spending two years at his trade there, he came here and located, and has been very successful connected with the business here since. In 1867, he married Miss Bridget Maloy, who departed this life in 1877, and is buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery here, leaving a family of two sons and two daughters - Edward, William, Katie, and Mamie. In 1877, he married Mrs. Mary Adkin, formerly of Remington. They have two sons, Emmet and Frank. During the war Mr. Carroll did active service in defense of his adopted country. He has been a member of the Shields Guard ever since 1858. Michael Reagan, of the above firm, is a native of the County Cork, Ireland, and came to America at an early age, and settled in Lafayette, Ind., where he learned his trade. In 1854, he came to Kansas, and located here in 1855, and has been an active worker at his trade here since. In 1858, he married Miss Isabel Black, of his native country.
W. H. CARSON, cashier of Insley, Shire & Co.'s Bank, came to Leavenworth in 1862, and engaged in freighting business as cashier for the large firm of Irwin, Jackman & Co., with whom he remained until 1865. He then went into the Second National Bank and continued with that institution two or three years; then was with Hines & Eves in the Leavenworth Savings Bank until they retired fro its management, he remaining with the bank until he became connected with Insley, Shire & Co in February, 1877. He is a native of Lancaster, Pa., and resided in Harrisburg, Pa., for four years before he came to Kansas. He is a member of A. F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., K. of P. and K. of H.
F. E. CARTER, book-binder, was born in Philadelphia, September 15, 1852. He came West with his parents and located at Freeport, remaining there until he went to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in 1873, from which city he removed to Leavenworth in February, 1875. He has been engaged in book- binding for the last fifteen years, having been with Dodsworth Book Co. And Crew & Bro. Since April 1, 1882, E. Sparks has been associated with him in business. He was married in Freeport, November 25, 1877, to Nettie Huntoo, a native of Pennsylvania. He is a member of K. of P.
ISAAC C. CARTER, superintendent of the patternmaking department of the Union Stove and Machine Works was born and reared in Buffalo, N. Y.; learned his profession as patternmaker in Fort Wayne, Ind., at the age of nineteen years. After a reputable connection of seventeen years in his profession in that State, he located in Red Wing, Minn., and followed his business there for several years. In 1879, he came here, and engaged in his present capacity, which has very reputably carried on since. In 1870, he married Miss Maria L. Miller, a native of Indiana. They have a family of two daughters, Cora L. and Emma L. At the breaking out of the war, Mr Carter enlisted his services of three months, he reenlisted in Company A, Thirtieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was in active service for three years, when he was honorably discharged. He is an active officer and member of Leavenworth Post, No. 120, G. A. R., and has been an active member of the A., F. & A. M. Society for the last eighteen years.
M. CASEY, of the firm of McGonigie & Casey, manufacturers of light carriages, buggies and wagons. Business established in 1880. Mr. Casey is a native of Missouri, and began this business at the age of eighteen, and followed it actively as workman till he joined the present partnership. J. W. McGonigie is a native of Maryland, and came to the State in 1864, and has been actively connected with his present business here since 1876. He, however, learned his trade in his native State, and followed it there till his coming to Kansas.
THOMAS CASS, dealer in liquors and proprietor of "Uncle Tom's Cabin"; was born in County Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1823, and came to America in 1847. After traveling through the country till 1853, he located here, and has been active in connection with many of the industries of this place since. In 1853 he married Miss Mary Jones, a native of Pennsylvania, who departed this life in 1859, and is buried in Calvary Cemetery (aged thirty years) leaving one daughter - Clarinda C. Mr. Cass has always taken an active part in matters tending to the growth and development of Leavenworth since coming here, and by industry and business habits he has placed himself in very good circumstances. He started on no capital but integrity and honesty and attention to business. Mr. Cass voted for Thomas Johnson, the first delegate to Congress from Kansas Territory, in 1853, and he has taken an active part in politics ever since. He is now and always was a staunch Democrat.
B. C. CLARK is a native of Adrian, Michigan, where he lived until about 1862, when he went to Chicago and spent some four years and then removed to Kansas, commencing business in Leavenworth City in April, 1866. The first year his business gave employment to four men, himself inclusive, and amounted to about $25,000. The sales now amount to over $300,000 per annum, and he employs six traveling salesman, and other employes, aggregating twenty men. The business is crockery, glass-ware, table and pocket-cutlery, silver-plated and britannia ware, lamps, etc. The sales are principally in Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado and New Mexico. There is a large retail store connected with the establishment on Delaware street. Mr. Clark was married in Leavenworth, April 6, 1871, to Drusle Baker, a native of Ohio. They have two children, Harry and Earle.
M. E. CLARK, President of the German Bank of Leavenworth, came to Kansas Territory in the spring of 1855. Located at Leavenworth and engaged in the wholesale and retail grocery business, in which he continued four years until he commenced banking business in May, 1859. The firm was Clark, Gruber & Co., and remained as such until May, 1864, when the firm of Clark & Co. Was organized, which, January 1, 1878, went into voluntary liquidation to merge the business into the German Bank. January, 1878, Mr Clark became President of the institution and has continued as such until November, 1882. From 1860 to 1863 Mr. Clark was at Denver in charge of a branch of the Banking House of Clark, Gruber & Co., and while there established a private mint for coining gold, the nucleus of the present mint at Denver. Mr. Clark as born in Brown County, Ohio, near Agusta, Ky., May 6, 1827, and lived in the same county until he came to Kansas in 1855. He was married near Platte City, Mo., February 22, 1865, to Lydia A. Winston, a native of Platte County. They have three children - Nettie E., Cora A. and Hilda A.
GEO. N. CLAYTON, General Western Passenger Agent Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railway, Kansas City, Mo.; appointed to present position in May, 1878. Has charge of all business west of the Mississippi River, his field touching eleven states and Territories. Me Clayton was born in Pontiac, Mich., November 10, 1847. His parents moved to Kansas in 1859, and settled in Leavenworth. The subject of this sketch received his education in Leavenworth. In 1870 he commenced his railway life as clerk in the ticket office of the H. & St. Joe R. R. In 1874 was appointed Western passenger agent, which position he retained until he became connected with the Wabash, in 1878. Was first made Northwestern passenger agent, and shortly after had his field extended to present dimensions. Mr. Clayton was married in Leavenworth, Kansas, December 18, 1878, to Miss May Woodworth of Leavenworth. Mr. C. is a member of Ivanhoe Lodge, No. 14, K. of P., and of Neligh Lodge, No. 1285, K. of H.
WILLIAM McNEILL CLOUGH, attorney, is a native of Boston, Mass., in which city he was born September 29, 1831. From 1834 to August, 1851, at which time he entered Harvard College Law School, his home had been in St. Charles, Mo. He graduated from Harvard in June, 1854, and located at, and commenced the practice of law in, Parksville, Platte Co., Mo., remaining in that place from 1854 to 1862. He visited Leavenworth in 1854, at the first sale of lots in the city, but did not make the place his residence until May 1, 1862, since which time he has been engaged in the practice of law in that city, serving as President of School Board one year, Vice- President one year, and Clerk one year. He was married at Parkerville, May 31, 1855, to Mary Ann Scott, a native of Woodford County, Pa. Their children now living are Mary N., Amanda R., Nellie, Lucy, Walter, Frank and Katie.
E. N. O. CLOUGH, manager and proprietor of the Commercial Intelligence Office and Kansas mercantile Agency. Business organized and established by Mr. Clough in 1870. His field covers the United States and Canada. His system is to make nothing but special reports, none being sent out over two weeks old. En. N. O. Clough, attorney at law, notary public and United States Commissioner, is a native of Virginia. He was born in Berryville, Clark county, May 28, 1825. In 1833, his parents moved to St. Charles, Mo. His father was a teacher by profession, and E. N. O. studied under him, and afterward taught himself in public and private schools until the breaking out of the Mexican war. He enlisted at St. Louis, Mo., in Company D, Infantry Battalion Missouri Volunteers. Was promoted to First Sergeant, and served until 1848. Was mustered out at Independence, Mo., October 10, 1848. He then engaged as a reporter on the St. Louis Republican. After the great fire in St. Louis in 1849, turned his attention to farming until 1851, when he moved to Boone County and opened an academy on Thrah's Prairie. During these years Mr. Clough had been reading law. Was admitted to the bar in Missouri, October 20, 1853. He then opened an office in Columbia, Boone County, where he engaged in practice until 1857, when he moved to Parkville, Platte County, and opened an office with his brother. Was admitted to practice in the Kansas courts on motion, April 30, 1858, at Leavenworth by Judge Petit. Continued to practice in Missouri and Kansas courts until 1861, when he was authorized by the Government to raise troops for the United States army. He settled in Leavenworth, where he raised many recruits, which were mustered into the regular and volunteer army. Co. Clough remained in this service during the war, several times commanding Gen. Hunter's body guard on expeditions into Missouri. After the close of the war he engaged in the practice of his profession at Leavenworth, Was admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court January 21, 1974. Was appointed United States Commissioner November 26, 1869, the commission being revoked on account of his having a claim agency. He was again appointed November 30, 1872. Resigned in 1874, and November 23, 1874 was reappointed. Is serving second term as Justice of the Peace. Was first elected in April 1880. Mr. Clough was married in St. Louis, Mo., November 9, 1848, to Miss Rebecca M. Seitzer, a native of Berks County, Pa. They have had seven children of which three survive Mary R. (Now Mrs. M. L. Bulkley), Emma F. now (Mrs. J. E. Hall), Margaret A. (now the widow of M. Montville, Jr.), William and Charles P. A. Have thirteen grandchildren. Mr Clough is Vice President of the National Association of Mexican Veterans. Is President of the Kansas Association, and Grand Secretary of the Union League when that body was in existence.
C. W. P. COLLINS, proprietor of the Collins House. The building was erected in 1872, and bought by Mr. C. in 1874. It is of brick, two stories high, and contains seventeen rooms. Mr. Collins was born in York County, Pa., in April 1833. He received his education in his native country. In 1848 he became connected with the Safe Harbor Iron Works, in Lancaster County, Pa., in the capacity of weighmaster. About 1850 became connected with the B. & O. R. R. as superintendent of construction, and was afterward appointed conductor on the road, a position he retained until 1863, when he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Third Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; was afterward commissioned First Lieutenant of the company, and served until August, 1865. The regiment was most of the time detached in the Carolinas, under General Schofield. On the close of the war he returned to Pennsylvania, and the same year moved to Kansas and settled in Leavenworth, where he entered the service of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, and the M. R. & T. R. R. as conductor, continuing until 1874. Mr. Collins was married in Philadelphia, Pa., February 14, 1867, to Miss Almira Neel, of Dunmore Township, Lancaster County, Pa. They have one child, Cora C.
J. N. COLE, proprietor Broadway stock yards and sal and feed stables. Business commenced under present proprietorship in January, 1882, succeeding C. J. Smith. There are handled weekly about 100 head of cattle and fifty head of sheep. Mr Cole was born in Buchanan County, Mo., July 26, 1845. Moved to Kansas with his uncle in 1855, and settled in Leavenworth County. Has always engaged in farming since he came to the State - since 1855 - for himself. Mr. Cole was married in Leavenworth County, Kas., July 11, 1878, to Miss Lizzie McQuown, a native of the county. They have two children - Theodore F. and Thomas D. Mr. C. is a member of Kickapoo Lodge, No. 4, A., F. & A. M.
GEORGE WILLIAM COMBS, superintendent of the milling and pattern-making department of the Great Western Manufacturing Company, residence 108 South Esplanade street, was born in Hartford, Conn., in 1851, and located here with his people in 1858. At the age of seventeen he began his profession of pattern-maker with the present firm, and after completing his profession and doing a year's work as a journeyman, he received his appointment to the reputable position he now holds. In 1872 he married Miss Nellie S. Cooke, who was born in England and reared and educated in this country. They have a family of two sons - George, Jr., and Frederick. Mr. Combs is a member of the Methodist Church and has worked actively in the development of the social and public life of this city, and has represented this ward, the second, as alderman in the city council for two consecutive terms.
CHARLES CONRAD, general blacksmithing, was born in Prussia in 1837; learned his trade there. In 1869 he came to America and settled here and has been prominently connected with his business here since. In 1872 he married Miss Mary A. Meimerstorf, who was born in Prussia in 1852, and came to America in 1870. They have two little girls - Annie and Mary.
EDWARD C. CONRAD, of the firm of Conrad & Leonard, cigar manufacturers, was born in New York City, June 24, 1859. He resided in his native city until November, 1870, his first employment while there being that of shipping clerk for the wholesaled paper house of Joseph Hill & Co., 373 Broadway. He was afterwards engaged in meat market business until he came to Kansas. His parents, Edward and Mary (Pitchke) Conrad, came to Kansas in 1875. His father died at Abilene, January 11, 1882, and his mother now resides in Leavenworth.
ISAAC CORLETT, gardener and fruit grower, came to Kansas in 1858; and located in Anderson County. He moved to Leavenworth in the fall of 1860, and has lived here since and been engaged in his present business. He is a native of the Isle of Man and lived there twenty-three years before coming to America. He was born December 19, 1823, and has lived in New York State and Illinois, Mississippi and California. He was married on the Isle of Man October 15, 1856, to Mrs. Mary Hines, who was born on the Isle of Man. They have seven children, five of whom are living - Douglas, Rebecca, Maggie, Alexander and Francis. Mrs. Corlett had on son by her former marriage, John J. Hines. Mr. Corlett has served several years on the School Board.