|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MCCLEARY - NOYES).
ALEX H. McCLEARY, house and sign painter, Crawford street between Central Avenue and Twentieth street, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., July 4, 1840. His father was Thomas McCleary, born in the North of Ireland in 1800, and died in 1855. Mr. McCleary graduated at the Central High School in his native city; Dr. John S. Hart, principal 1854. After completing his education he engaged in the hardware business on the corner of Second and Girard Avenue until 1858, when he entered upon the wholesale grocery business. Afterward was bookkeeper and manager for O'Neil & Co., Brunswick, N. J. He then in 1861 enlisted in the Second United Cavalry, Company I. He saw service in the Shenandoah Valley most of the time until he was mustered out. In 1864 he went to Nashville, Tenn., and had command of a company of guards. After the battle of Franklin he was transferred to Louisville, Ky., and received and shipped all freight on the Louisville and Nashville railroad. Soon afterward he is at Leavenworth in charge of the supply department. In March, 1865, he emigrated to Fort Union, N. M.; from there to Arizona and back to Colorado, Fort Lyon, where he had charge of the painting department. In 1872 he came to Parsons. He was married in March 31, 1879, to Rebecca E. Foster, of Chanute. She was born in Virgil City, Mo., 1855. Her father died of a disease contracted in the army in 1864. They have one child - Anna Daisy, born October 25, 1880. Mr. McCleary learned his trade in Philadelphia. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., also grand master at arms of the State of Kansas in the order of the Knights of Pythias. He is also chief of records of the Improved Order of Red Men, and grand watchman of the Grand Lodge of the Ancient Order United Workmen, of the State of Kansas. Mr. McCleary is a member of the Grand Encampment of I. O. O. F. He is also a staunch temperance worker, having been identified with the temperance interests of Parsons for many years.
A. McCLELLAN, M. D., was born in Springfield Township, Hamilton Co., Ohio, October 13, 1847; lived there until 1869, when he located in Henry County, Ind.; resided there three years, then four years at Indianapolis and three years at Hagerstown, Wayne Co., Ind., removing from the latter place to Kansas in April 1879. The doctor is a graduate of the Physio-Medical College of Indiana, and was a member of the Physio-Medical Society of that State. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and K. H., being medical examiner for both societies. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He was married at Greencastle, Ind., December 28, 1868, to Harriet E. Chapin, a native of Indiana. They have three children - George C., Sallie Rosseau and James.
I. N. McCREERY, of the firm of McCreery & Clark, lumber dealers, was born in Indiana County, Pa., March 18, 1846. In February, 1864, he enlisted in the United States Signal Corps and served with the Army of the Potomac until August, 1865. In 1869 he removed to Missouri and lived there until he came to Parsons, in May, 1873; he was engaged in carpenter work here until 1876; he then took charge of J. K. Tyler's lumber yard, continuing to conduct that business until May, 1877, when he became manager of S. A. Brown & Co's. yards at this point conducting their business until the present firm was organized in February, 1882. Lee Clark, cashier of the First National Bank, being associated with him as a partner. He was married at Fairfield, West Moreland Co., Pa., April 16, 1868, to Jennie E. Hamill, a native of that county. They have three children - Gertrude, Edith and Lola A. Mr. McCreery is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has served as a member of the Common Council of the city of Parsons.
C. W. McFARLAN, foreman of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company's machine shops, was born at St. Anthony Falls, Minn., February 8, 1852. Came to Kansas soon after the Territory was created, with his mother and step-father, Elizabeth (Gilmore) and I. A. Burroughs. They located at Summer, Atchison County, and lived there until 1860, then in Colorado one year, afterward at Atchison, until 1866. He then resided at Junction City until 1874, when he came to Parsons. After going to Junction City, worked for about eight months on the construction of the M., K. & T. R. R. He then went into the machine shops of the same company at that place, since continuing in the employ of that company and the Missouri Pacific Company as machinist. Since February 1, 1883, he has been foreman of the Parsons shops. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and A. O. U. W. January 4, 1874, Mr. McFarlan was married at Junction City, Kan., to Florence T. Williams, a native of Illinois. They have three children - James Lawrence, Charles Emery, and George Alexander.
HON. JAMES J. McFEELY, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., May 24, 1849. He learned his trade of machinist in his native city, and in 1868 removed to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, and worked at his trade in the various cities of that section, until the spring of 1871, when he returned to Buffalo. The following September he located in Chicago, where he remained until 1872, and from thence went to Racine, Wis., and was employed in the extensive threshing machine manufactory of J. J. Case & Co., a few months, when, having antagonized one of the members of the firm at the election of 1872, decided to resign his position. After visiting Milwaukee and St. Paul, he located at Fort Wayne, finding employment in the shops of the Fort Wayne & Pittsburg Railroad Company, and subsequently in the Cooper Foundry & Machine Shops at Mount Vernon, Ohio. In March, 1873, he again visited Buffalo for a few weeks, and from there went to Detroit, Mich., where he resided until April, 1877. The following July he located in Parsons, Kan., and over two years he worked in the shops of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company at this point. In April, 1880, he was elected Justice of the Peace; was re-elected in 1882, and in July of the latter year he was appointed Police Judge, and was re-elected to that office in April, 1883. Judge McFeely is a member of the State Historical Society, and of the A. O. U. W. and American Legion of Honor, and of K. of L. He was also one of the Presidential Electors at large in this State, in 1880, on the National Greenback ticket, which ran the Hon, J. B. Weaver for President, and is a present member of the State Central Committee of the same party. The judge has always been identified with the cause of labor, doing all in his power, by precept and example, to sustain the "dignity of labor," elevate the mental, moral and physical condition of his fellow-men, and has ever taken a more than ordinary interest in the social and political advancement of his town, being always found on the side of reform and progress. He is now both Justice of the Peace and Police Judge. He was married at Detroit, Mich., April 13, 1874, to Fannie B. McGrath, a native of Quebec, Canada. They have four children - James Edward, born in Detroit, March 13, 1875; Ellen Laurenia, also born in that city, December 10, 1876; John William, born at Parsons, December 16, 1878, and Francis Joseph, born in Parsons, April 11, 1881.
JOHN C. McGINNES, manufacturer of harness and saddlery, was born near Danville, Montour Co., Pa., January 18, 1842. Engaged in harness making for three years at Pottsgrove, Northumberland Co., Pa. and in 1870 and 1871, he was engaged in farming. He enlisted July 6, 1862, in Company E. One Hundred and Thirty-first Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, served nine months, which was the term for which he enlisted. Mr. McGinnis came to Parson, Kan., April 5, 1872. After spending some time prospecting he began his present business here in October, 1873. He has been Alderman of the First Ward, and is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. He was married at Lewisburg, Union Co., Pa., January 10, 1868, to Clarinda W. Fegley, a native of that place. They have five children living - Anna, Adelia, James Allen, John Bond and Guy. They have lost two children: Minnie died at the age of six years, and Harry was two years old at the time of his death.
S. H. McKIM, druggist, was born in Lewis County, Mo., March 3, 1851. That was his home until 1873, when he removed to Jacksonville, Ill., remaining there until he came to Parsons, February 2, 1880. He has been engaged in the drug business since April, 1867, it being now over sixteen years since he began learning the business. He was elected City Treasurer, April 3, 1883. Mr. McKim was married at St. Louis, June 16, 1880, to Julie F. Philibert, a native of that city. They have two children - Marie Julie and Eulalie Francis.
J. D. MAIN, carriagemaker, was born at Richfield Springs, Otsego Co., N. Y., November 21, 1832. In the spring of 1852, he removed to California, remaining there four years, being engaged in river mining for three years, and working at his trade the balance of the time. Returning to Altona, Knox Co., Ill., in 1856, he established a carriage factory, where he resided six years. Served two years as President of the Council; was elected and served as City and Township Collector in 1860. In 1862, he went to Montana and Oregon; thence to California, where he engaged in river mining for two years, workng at carriagemaking for four years, then returning to Altona, Ill., resumed the carriage business. Emigrated to Cowley County, Kan., March 7, 1871, engaged in farming two years four miles southeast of Winfield, where he established one of the first school istricts in the county, serving as Director until he removed to Parsons in March 8, 1883, where he is now well established in the manufacture of carriages and buggies. He has also built a large, handsome brick business block on the northeast corner of Central and Skiely avenues; 102 feet on Central, and twenty-five feet on Skiely avenue. Mr. Main was married at Altona, August 9, 1857, to Ann Howey, a native of Ohio. They have six children - Wilbert C., Laura Alice, Katie Adaline, Charles T., Hattie E., and Edith Pearl.
HON. ANGELL MATTHEWSON was born in Pulaski, Oswego Co., N. Y., June 8, 1837. At the age of fifteen he commenced to learn the printer's trade in the office of the Pulaski Democrat, having previously received a good academic education. After having attained his majority, Mr. Matthewson was successively engaged upon the Oswego Paliadium and Utica Herald until January 4, 1860, when he went to Fort Plain, Montgomery Co., N. Y., and purchased a half interest in the Mohawk Valley Register. In September, 1861, in connection with Hon. Lorenzo Crounse, he raised a volunteer company for the war, being commissioned as Second Lieutenant October 2, 1861. His war record is everything that can be desired. Rising through the successive grades of Second Lieutenant, Post Adjutant, Ordinance Officer, First Lieutenant, Adjutant, Acting Assistant Adjutant General to that of Captain of Light Artillery. He received the latter promotion for gallant and meritorious service at the battle of North Anna River, Va., May 23, 1864, when he was shot through the thigh with a minnie ball while in command of Battery D., First New York Light Artillery. For his heroism on this occasion, Gen. Wainwright, Chief of Artillery, in his report of the battle to Gen. Meade, accorded Capt. Matthewson's battery the credit of having saved the right of the line of battle from destruction. Mr. M. was in service until the end of the war, three years and nine months, and was mustered out at Elmira, N. Y., June 17, 1865. He was engaged in the battles of Harper's Ferry, Cedar Mountain, Rappahannock Station, Second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mine Run,, The Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna River, Siege of Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, Hatcher's Run, and Lee's Surrender at Appomattox Court House. July 1, 1865, he became sole editor and proprietor of the Fort Plain Register, and soon after purchased a half interest in the Canajoharie Radii, and later established the Amsterdam Democrat and the State Radii, editing all four of these papers at the same time. In 1867 Mr. M. was elected by the Democrats of Montgomery County, N. Y., to represent them in the General Assembly, having received the largest majority ever accorded a member. Early in 1871 he disposed of his newspaper interests in New York, and in May of that year moved to Parsons, which was then an infant town, but three months of age. Here he commenced an active business career by opening a private banking house under the firm name of Crawford, Matthewson & Co. In 1872 he and other capitalists procured a charter and organized the First National Bank of Parsons, of whose affairs he had entire control up to December 31, 1878, when he retired. He was then just about to enter upon his second session of his term as State Senator, having been elected to that position in 1876. He was chosen to the important post of Chairman of the Committee on Banks and Banking, and a member of the Ways and Means Committee. Was frequently called upon to preside in Committee of the Whole, and otherwise received the marks of confidence from his fellows of which he has ever been the fortunate recipient. In September 1880, Mr. M. again engaged in business, associating himself with Merritt Noyes and F. H. Snyder in the ownership of the City Bank. Mr. Noyes died February 12, 1883, and thereafter the business was conducted by the present partners, Messrs. Matthewson & Snyder. Besides doing a general banking business, this firm has a real estate and insurance department, owning a complete set of abstracts of all kinds of property in Labette County. When the First National Bank was organized the entire deposits amounted to $37,000, which sum Mr. M. transferred from his private bank. There are now three banks in Parsons, the aggregate peposits[sic] of which amount to $250,000. Mr. M. owns a large amount of valuable real estate, and also the most extensive hardware store in the country. He is president of the Parsons & Western R. R. Co.; president of the Parsons Fair and Driving Park Association; treasurer of the Water Works Co.; secretary of the Board of Trade; and owns the exclusive franchise for the building and operation of the Gas Works. He expects to begin their erection in May, 1883. Mr. M. built the first flouring mill in Parsons. Has twice served as Mayor, and was State Senator for four years. He organized the Memphis, Kansas & Colorado R. R. Co., and was president of that organization, the road being built under his management. Mr. M. was married October 4, 1865, at Fort Plain, N. Y., to Miss Cornelia H. Ward, daughter of Heman D. Ward.
W. K. MAXWELL, passenger conductor on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, corner Morgan and Fifteenth streets, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, August, 1846. His parents were born and raised in Ohio, and were descended from Scotch-Irish ancestry. He was educated in the schools of his native town. Mr. Maxwell came to Kansas in 1871, where he was employed by the M. K. T. R. R. as train dispatcher. Soon afterward he was appointed to the position of conductor. He has three brothers and two sisters - Thomas S. Maxwell, in St. Louis, employed with Samuel Cuppies & Co.; R. C. Maxwell, an attorney at Lincoln, Ill.; J. W., in Silver City, N. M., in the wholesale grocery business. One sister, Mrs. Allen, a widow, lives with her mother in Ohio, and Mrs. Bowers, wife of the agent at Junction City, Kan., for the Missouri Pacific Railroad. He was married to Miss Etta H. Ward of Fort Plain, N. Y., September, 1881, whose mother is living with her daughter. Mr. Maxwell is a member of the Blue Lodge Chapter and Commandry of the Masonic Fraternity of the city of Parsons, and has taken all the Scottish Rites degrees except the thirty-third degree.
WILLIAM MEIXELL, lumber dealer and fruit grower, was born at Pittsburg, Pa., December 27, 1837. He was reared in Milton, Northumberland County, Pa., and was for fifteen years in mercantile business there. Prior to going to Kansas he was extensively engaged in pump manufacturing, doing a large trade as far south as Georgia. In December, 1870, he came to Kansas, at that time intending to go to Colorado, but after prospecting in this State he determined to locate at Parsons, and in March, 1871, he engaged in the lumber business here, which he has ever since continued. He first located on the west side of the M., K. & T. R. R. track, opposite the depot, and carried on business there until 1880, when he removed to his present yards on Skiddey avenue. He also has one of the largest and finest fruit farms in Kansas, consisting of 100 acres adjoining the city of Parsons. He raises nearly all kinds of fruit to perfection, except quinces and sweet cherries. Apple trees begin to bear the second year, and no finer apples and peaches grow in the world than are produced here. Blackberries grow larger and in greater profusion than elsewhere. Plums of the Chickasaw varieties (Wild Goose, Miner and Weaver) are successfully grown. Grapes grow to perfection. Strawberries require special cultivation, thereby being successfully raised. He has fish ponds on his farm, and has been successful in fish culture, carp being the principal kind which he has so far introduced. Mr. Meixell was married near Parsons, Kan., in 1874 to Carrie E. Thurston, a native of Indiana. They have three children living - John Louis, Willie and George. They lost one child, Ida. Mr. M. was a charter member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P. lodges of this city.
J. MOORE, furniture dealer and undertaker, was born near Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, May 17, 1820, living there until he removed to Perry, Pike Co., Ill., in 1855, where he resided until he came to Walton Township, Labette Co., Kan., October 16, 1869. He built the first house on the south side of Johnson avenue, a frame structure 20x56 and 12 feet high, moving here March 8, 1871. In August, 1878, he built a brick store, sixty feet deep, and in 1881 extended it to a depth of 120 feet, making one of the deepest and most commodious stores in the city. Six years ago Mr. Moore admitted his son-in-law, J. M. Gregory into partnership with him, and the business has since been conducted by them under the firm name of J. Moore & Co. Mr. Moore was the first City Treasurer of Parsons, and served as such for a period of two years. He was married in Ohio, in August, 1841, to Catharine A. Davidson, a native of West Virginia. They have four children - Sarah M., now Mrs. James M. Burt, of Walton Township, born in Ohio; Mary, now Mrs. J. M. Gregory, born in Ohio; Hattie, now Mrs. Mellenny, born in Illinois, and George W., born in the same State.
S. MORRIS & CO., dealers in clothing and gents' furnishing goods, began business at Parsons, October 10, 1878. Mr. Morris is a native of Prussia, but came to America nearly thirty years ago, locating in Boston, Mass., where he remained until 1856, when he removed to Chicago and engaged in clothing business, remaining in trade there until he came to Parsons in the fall of 1878. He gives employment to three clerks, and is doing a thriving trade, having the confidence and respect of all who patronize him. Mr. M. was married, in the city of Chicago, December 27, 1883, to Susie Frank, a native of Germany, but reared from childhood in America. They have two children - Mildred Grace and Jennette.
G. W. MASER, M. D., is a native of West Wheeling, Belmont Co., Ohio; received his literary education in the public schools and at St. Vincent College, at Wheeling, W. Va. He graduated from the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, at New York City. In March, 1881, and in May of the same year he located at Parsons, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. He was married at Bellaire, Ohio, December 20, 1881, to Katie P. Muth, a native of that place.
JOHN HERBERT MOSHER, Morgan avenue, between Twenty-first and Twenty-second streets, transfer business, was born in Sanquoir, Oneida Co., N. Y., in 1849. His father was Samuel Emerson, born in 1807, died in 1867; was a farmer and mechanic, and was a lineal descendent of an ancestor who came over in the Mayflower. Mr. Mosher's parents emigrated to Knox County, Ill. in 1851, where his son received his early education and training in the public schools and in Galesburg Academy. In 1873 he emigrated to Parsons and purchased a farm near the city, which he worked until 1881, when he moved into town and engaged in the transfer business. He was married in 1873, to Miss Sarah J. Moore, of Knox County, Ill. She was born in 1849, in the same county. Her father is Lyman K. Moore, of Massachusetts, who was educated in a college in that State, and is now seventy-one years of age, and living in Altona, Ill. Mrs. M. graduated in the graded school of Oneida, Ill. They have three children - Mary A., born in 1875; Hattie, born in 1878, William Lyman, born in 1880. Mr. Mosher was elected Justice of the Peace for Walton Township, in 1880. Was also elected a member of the School Board, April 3, 1883. He is pastmaster and now recorder of the Excelsior Lodge No. 12, A. O. U. W., Parsons. Mr. Mosher and his family are members of the Congregational Church, and are identified with the Sunday school, he having been superintendent of the same.
W. W. NEIGHBOUR, of the firm of Neighbour & Parks, proprietors of meat market, was born at Wisbach, Cambridgeshire, England, April 26, 1847, but has lived in America since he was seven years of age. His father, Edward Neighbour, removed with his family to Racine County, Wis. W. W. lived where they first located until he was sixteen years of age, then for two years resided in the city of Racine, removing from there to Michigan, where he lived about eighteen months, afterward in Chicago, until he came to Parsons, Kas., September 29, 1880. He has been engaged in similar business to that which he now carries on for the last seventeen years. He is a member of the Baptist Church and A. O. U. W. He was married at Three Oaks, Mich., May 19, 1870, to Julia M. Whitman, a native of Burlington, Racine Co., Wis. They have five children - Edith M., Robert Edward, Ernest W., Helen and Walter James.
GEORGE L. NELLIS, of the De Pry & Nellis Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of sash, doors, blinds, mouldings, balusters, etc., was born at Fort Plain, Montgomery Co., N. Y., April 19, 1851. Came to Parsons in November, 1878, having previously lived at Jacksonville, Ill., seven years, and preceding his location there, he had resided one year in St. Louis. He has been engaged in his present business since August, 1882, having carried on lumber business prior to that time. He is a member of A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. Mr. Nellis was married, at Jacksonville, Ill., in February, 1880, to Mary E. Spates, a native of that place. They have an infant son.
S. B. NEWTON, car inspector, between 16 and 17 Appleton avenue, was born in Morgan County, Ohio, in 1843. His father was A. S. Newton, who was born and raised in the same county and State. His ancestors were from the State of New York. His mother was born in Washington County, Ohio. Her grandfather was killed by the Indians on the Muskingham River. His name was Sherman. He lived in Ohio, where he received his education, until twenty-one years of age, when he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-sixth Ohio Infantry, serving in the army of the Cumberland. The latter part of his term was in the Shenandoah Valley, until mustered out of the service. July, 1865, when he returned to Ohio, where he lived four years, when he emigrated to Ft. Scott, Kan., in 1871. He came to Parsons just when the town was starting. He was married in 1865, to Emma J. Aiken, of Jefferson County, Ohio, whose parents were from Washington County, of the same State. They have three children - Rasellar, born 1869, at Ft. Scott; Clay Newton, born 1875, at Parsons; Lucy, born 1877. Mr. N. has been employed by the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company during the whole time of his residence in Parsons. He has not lost one day in ten years. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Postmaster, also past chancellor of the K. of P. and a member of the Order of Red Men. All his ancestors were strict members of the Universalist Church.
MRS. MERRIT NOYES, corner Fifteenth street and Forest avenue, was born in Berlin, Wis., in 1847. Her father was Dr. H. R. Merriman, of Appleton, Wis. He was First Assistant Surgeon of the Fourth Wisconsin Volunteer Calvary. He died at Baton Rouge, La., September 18, 1864, of congestive chills. Her mother, who lives in Wisconsin, was born in Herkimer County, N. Y. Mrs. N. was married to Mr. Merrit Noyes in 1869, at Lawrence, Kan. Mr. Noyes was born in Abingdon, Mass., August 14, 1842. He served in the army during the late war, having joined the Fourth Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, and was wounded severely in the knee, from which he never recovered, and for which he received a pension. He was a graduate of East Hampton, Mass., in 1867, and was a schoolmate and friend of Hon. Dudley Haskell, member of Congress from the Second Congressional District of Kansas, in the same college. He emigrated to Kansas in the spring of 1868, and settled at Lawrence. He was a member of the firm of D. S. Gibbs & Co., real estate dealers of that city. He came to Parsons in March, 1871, and erected the Parsons House the same year. He was also one of the proprietors of the city bank of Angell Matthewson & Co., and was known to be one of the best office business men in Parsons. He was closely identified with the business and commercial development of the city throughout the entire period of its growth. He was a member of the Board of Underwriters of Parsons, also Adjutant of the Post of the G. A. R. of the same city. He was greatly respected and loved by all who knew him. "His heart was as great as the world, but there was no room in it to contain the memory of a wrong." He died at his residence, corner of Forest Avenue and Fifteenth Street, February 12, 1883, aged forty years and six months. He leaves a wife, the subject of this sketch, and two children, in Parsons. His mother and sister, Miss Abbie, live at Lawrence, this State, and a brother, Ellis B. Noyes, in Brooklyn, N. Y. Mrs. Noyes was educated at Lawrence University, at Appleton, Wis., and removed to Lawrence, Kans., in 1868. She has had three children - Abbie, aged nine years, Alfred, aged five, and Walter, who died July, 1882, aged seven months. Mr. Noyes was a lineal descendant of Norman knight, who came over in the Mayflower, a copy of whose coat of arms is retained in the family. Mr. Noyes is also a descendent of the Puritans.