|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (JAYNES - LUSK).
JOEL L. JAYNES, now a traveling salesman for Mack, Stader & Co., of Cincinnati, Ohio, resides on Morgan avenue, Parsons, Kan.; was born in Otsego, N. Y., in 1828. His father's name was Joel Jaynes, his mother's name was Phoebe Jaynes (nee Winton). His earlier ancestors were Puritans. He received a liberal education in the public district schools. At the age of seventeen years, he learned the shoemaker's trade, and followed it for many years. July 28, 1850, he was married to Adeila D. Barbor, a most excellent and highly accomplished young lady, the daughter of Weightman Barbor and Ruth Barbor (whose maiden name was Record). Both of Mrs. Jaynes's grandfathers were very eminent Baptist preachers. Mr. and Mrs. Jaynes had born to them two daughters - Kate E. and Carrie V. At the breaking out of the Civil War, young Jaynes enlisted as a private soldier in Company F. One Hundred and Fifty-seventh Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry, and after serving two years, being with his regiment most of the time, he was discharged on surgeon's certificate of disability, being sorely afflicted with sciatica. In 1867, he moved his family to Kansas, and was present and assisted in raising the first house that was built in the now prosperous city of Parsons. He is a member in good standing in the following orders: A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., Knights of Pythias, A. O. U. W., G. A. R., and Red Men.
HON. DAVID KELSO, land commissioner and attorney for the Missouri Pacific R. R. Co., in Kansas, is the son of a Scotch Presbyterian clergyman; came to Virginia with his parents in 1852, living there until 1865. During the war he served in the Union Army; came to Chetopa, Kan., in December, 1869, having lived a few years in Iowa prior to that time. In 1870, he located at Oswego, remaining there until the spring of 1875, being the general attorney for the receiver of the M., K. & T. R. R. Since the road has been under control of the Missouri Pacific, he has remained as attorney, and since January, 1881, he has also been land commissioner, the business of these two offices requiring his entire attention, thereby precluding the possibility of his doing any general practice. He is now serving third term as one of the directors of the M., K. & T. R. R.
C. B. KENNEDY, M. D., was born in Hanover, Columbiana Co., Ohio, May 24, 1837. When he was three or four years of age, his parents removed to Bedford, Lawrence Co, Ind. He read medicine with an uncle, Dr. J. Y. Kennedy, at Shelbyville, Ind,; attended his first course of lectures at the Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati, and graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, at Philadelphia. He commenced practice at Shelbyville, March 27, 1858, but soon after that time he located at Waldon, Ind., where he remained in practice until 1865, when he removed to Topeka, residing there until 1867, when he located at Erie, Neosho County. In November, 1870, he purchased an interest in the northwest quarter of Section 18, Township 31, Range 20 east, which is a part of the present town site of Parsons. Early in January, 1871, he came here to reside, being one of the earliest physicians in this place. Since coming to Kansas he has been considerably interested in building and real estate operations, although attending to general practice of his profession most of the time he has been in the State. He owns fifty-five acres on Section 18 and 150 acres in the northeast quarter of Section 26, both pieces of property being located adjoining the city of Parsons. He built the elegant brick livery stable, southwest corner of Central avenue and West Skiddy avenue, and now owns it, having conducted the business until he recently rented it to P. A. and L. D. Philbert. The doctor is a member of the Southwestern Kansas Medical Society and also of the Labette County Medical Society. He was married, in Centerville Township, Neosho Co., Kan., March 8, 1871, to Mattie E., daughter of Rev. Henry Cambern. She was born in Charlestown, Ind. They have one son and a daughter - Claud E. and Hope E. The doctor has been an active member of the Republican party, but has always declined offices of every kind.
REV. W. S. H. KEYES, D. D., pastor of the First Presbyterian Church at Parsons, Labette Co., Kan., was born in Centre County, Pa., in 1826. By his father he comes of English, and by his mother of Scotch-Irish decent. Dr. Keyes passed his educational course mainly under the tutelage of his father, who was quite eminent as a scholar and teacher in his day. His early religious life was under the shadow of Methodistic training and influence, both father and mother being active members of this church, and it was their fond hope that their son would be a minister in that denomination. However, in the process of his studies for the ministry, his opinions on the subject of church polity, and certain doctrinal points so changed, that he was led to seek affiliation with a church more in harmony with his changed views and convictions of right; and it was about this time also, that the great Slaver, agitation was stirring the heart of the nation and the church, and Dr. Keyes, with all the force of conviction, was led to embrace and champion the abolition side of the question, and this fact determined his steps of church relationship. The "United Brethren in Christ" was an abolition church, as well as anti-Episcopal, being Republican in its form of government, and in doctrine well in harmony with the theological views of the Doctor. He therefore entered the ministry in this church at the early age of eighteen, where he remained and ranked among their most eminent ministers for thirty-three years. During this time he received recognition of his scholarship and theological eminence by the conferring of the degrees of "Master of Arts" and "Doctor of Divinity" by Westfield College, Illinois, and Lebanon Valley College, Pennsylvania; in the latter he held for some time the chair of Mental and Moral Science, in connection with a pastoral relation to a church in Labanon City, Pa. His last work in the United Brethren Church was that of General Centenary Agent, a work looking to the raising of funds for educational, missionary and other benevolent enterprises. While engaged in this work, the want of large intense church-life, on the part of those who should have been most interested in the great claims coming before them in his agency, so dissatisfied him with the prospective future of this church, that he resigned the work, and for the time being gave himself up to the lecture field, under the auspices of the New York National Lecture Bureau. Shortly after this he dissolved his relation with the United Brethren Church, and united with the Presbyterian, entering its ministry in the North Cumberland Presbytery, Pa. After this consummation he received a number of calls to the pastoral relation from different churches, accepting that of the First Presbyterian Church of Parsons, upon which he entered November 10, 1878, where his ministry has been marked with singular and continued interest and prosperity. As a pastor, Dr. Keyes has always been eminently popular and successful. Socially he is affable, and exceedingly well liked. In the pulpit he is fearless, and on the rostrum eloquent. His devotion to principle, his acceptance of what is right, and his bold utterance of the truth, as he is given to know and understand right and truth, make him one of the most pronounced and noticeable of public men in Kansas. His power of oratory is a distinguishing gift. Upon many occasions, in the lecture field and in the sacred desk, he has manifested a rare bravery in denouncing error. The family of Dr. Keyes consists of wife, son and daughter, all of whom are Pennsylvanians by birth.
G. F. KIMBALL, editor and proprietor of the Leader, was born at Orange, Grafton Co., N. H., May 6, 1836. His early years were spent on a farm and attending district school. Upon arrival at his majority, he began his career as a journalist in the establishment of the Canaan Gazette, at Canaan, N. H., which he operated until 1866, when he sold out and removed to Belleville, Ill., purchasing the Belleville Advocate, the oldest paper in Southern Illinois. Besides the management of this paper, he also operated nine others in as many country points, and was engaged in the publication of patent outsides, of which he published the first, supplying about one hundred different papers through the West with them. He also filled large contracts for various St. Louis publishing houses, doing a business of about $50,000 per year. Lured by the charms of fairer fields unseen, he sold out this successful business in 1872, and went to Denver, Colo. Failing to hit upon the gigantic schemes of which he dreamed, in about a year he returned to Danville, Ill., and founded the Danville News, soon afterward organized the Illinois Printing Company, of which he was first vice-president, the company having a capital of $50,000. In 1877, he started the Decatur Times, which he soon afterward gave up and began the publication of the Decatur Sun, a morning daily. In 1882, he came to Kansas, and recently began publishing the Leader. He was married to Juliet Taylor, a native of Belleville, Ill., July 12, 1864.
G. M. KLEISER, M. D., was born in Bourbon County, Ky., September 24, 1849. He received his literary education at Washington Lee University, in Rockbridge County, Va. Gen. Robert E. Lee being president of the institution at the time he was a student there. He attended his first course of medical lectures at the University of Virginia, and graduated from the medical department of the University of New York City. In February, 1871, he began practice in his native county, remaining there one year, and then removed to Parsons, arriving here January 9, 1872. He is local surgeon of the M. P. and M. K. & T. R. R. He is a member of the Kansas Southwestern Medical Association and of the Labette County Medical Society. He is also a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. The doctor was married in this city, December 24, 1878, to Elizabeth H., daughter of George A. Reynolds. She was born in Elmira, N. Y. They have one child Max.
F. C. KNAPP, of the firm of Baley & Knapp, real estate, loan and insurance agents, was born at Queensville, Jennings Co., Ind., January 24, 1854, and lived there until 1869, and then located at Indianapolis, where he remained until 1870. He then removed to Pleasant Hill, Mo., where he resided until 1874, afterward alternating between Missouri, Minnesota and Indiana; also was in California for a short time. In August, 1881, he came from Indiana to Kansas, and was in the employ of the M. P. R. R. as telegraph operator, at Oswego, until he came to Parsons, in August, 1882, and engaged in mercantile pursuits here, which he continued until January, 1883, when he sold out and engaged in his present business. He was married at Pleasant Hill, Mo., May 16, 1876, to Lutie M. Moore, a native of that place, Mr. K. is a member of the Christian Church, and of the K. of H. and K. & L. of H.
S. W. KNIFFIN, secretary and treasurer of the Osage Coal and Mining Company, was born at Yonkers, Westchester Co., N. Y., March 19, 1843, lived in Madison, Wis. from 1847, until 1860, when he removed to Hannibal, Mo. In May, 1861, he enlisted in Co. F. Sixteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served three years in that regiment as a private and Sergeant Major. He was then promoted to Second Lieutenant in the Forty-fourth United States Infantry. Afterward he became First Lieutenant and Adjutant of the regiment, being in the service until May, 1866, when he was mustered out. He then returned to Hannibal, where he was connected with railroading and the banking business for three years. He then came to Fort Scott, Kansas, reaching there in April, 1869. In July, 1869, he with several other young men went to the place where Independence is now located, intending to locate a town there which should be named "Colfax," in honor of the vice president of the United States at that time. While Mr. K. was temporarily absent at Hannibal, Mo., parties jumped his claim, and he was never able to re-establish himself on it. Mr. K. then returned to Fort Scott, where he was engaged in coal mining enterprises for two years, being superintendent of the Fort Scott Coal and Mining Company. He then went to Kewanee, Ill., where he was in the same business for a period of about a year. He then located at Sedalia, where he remained until August 25, 1878, when he came to Parsons, where he has since resided. He is connected with various business enterprises, being a director of the First National Bank, secretary of the Forest Park Association, vice-president of the Parsons Building and Loan Association, president of the Board of Education, belongs to the A. F. & A. M., K. of P., and G. A. R., is Captain of Company F, Parsons Light Guard, Second Regiment Kansas National Guards. Captain K. was married in Sedalia, Mo., April 7, 1875, to Mary A. Stryker, a native of Newark, N. J. They have two children, Mary Louise and Leonard Dodd.
M. F. KOHLER, watchmaker and jeweler, was born at Hanover, York Co., Pa., August 23, 1855. He has worked at the watchmaker's trade for fourteen years. Came to Parsons in the spring of 1877, working at his trade here for a period of four years, then engaged in jewelry business, carrying an elegant stock of watches, clocks, jewelry, silver and plated ware, gold pens, spectacles, etc. He is a member of the K. of P. and of the Parsons Light Guards.
J. B. LAMB, chief editor and proprietor of the Daily and Weekly Eclipse, was born June 15, 1827, at Lincolnville, Maine, and was reared on a farm. His education was obtained at common schools and academies. Beginning the study of medicine he attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York, and was awarded a diploma from that institution in 1852. He began the practice of his profession at Norridgewock, Me., where he continued two years, after which he removed to Centralia, Ill., and followed his profession at that place until the spring of 1860, at which time he took up his residence in St. Louis, Mo., still practicing his profession. In the spring of 1862 he entered the army as surgeon, under contract, and soon afterwards was employed as surgeon of the Thirty-fifth Missouri regiment, in which capacity he served until the close of the war. After his release from service, he went to Boston and purchased a drug store, which he operated about one year, and sold out to emigrate to Kansas in the fall of 1866. Upon his arrival in the State, locating at Osage Mission, he embarked in the mercantile business, which he prosecuted about eight years, when he disposed of his business, and came to Parsons in April, 1874, establishing the Eclipse, of which he is the chief editor and proprietor. In June, 1854, he became united in marriage to Miss H. F. Sergeant.
SAMUEL LEDGERWOOD, proprietor of livery, sale and feed stable, was born near Macomb, McDonough Co., Ill., April 26, 1848. Lived there until November 19, 1875, when he came to Kansas, locating at that time at Osage Mission, Neosho County, engaging in livery and omnibus business there. In March, 1880, he came to Parsons, where he has since carried on the livery business, having a fine stable 46x137 feet, capable of accommodating seventy horses. Mr. Ledgerwood was married in McDonough County, Ill., in November, 1871, to Angeline Hill, a native of Indiana, but reared from childhood in Iowa and Illinois. They have three children - Zell, Roy and Joseph Hill.
JOHN F. LINTHICUM, proprietor of Worth House, near the Missouri Pacific Railroad depot, was born in Adams County, Ill. His father's name was William T. Linthicum. His grandfather, Joseph, moved to Illinois from Virginia about 1840. His mother still lives near Stone's Prairie, in Illinois. In 1870, his parents removed to Kansas, settling near Fort Scott. Mr. Linthicum returned to Illinois, making the whole distance on foot without money, but working at different places along the route for food and lodging. On his arrival in Illinois he worked by the month for about six years. Soon afterward he returned to Kansas and worked for Mr. J.C. Rodgers two years. In 1880 he went back to Illinois, stopping on the road at Hannibal, Mo., where he secured employment in the railroad office. He remained in Hannibal and Illinois only a short time, when he again returned to Kansas, making his home at Parsons and engaging in the hotel business, which he now follows. Mr. Linthicum has six brothers and two sisters living.
W. H. LONG, dentist, was born near Hagerstown, Washington Co., Md., March 4, 1855. Studied his profession at Hagerstown for three years prior to coming to Kansas in October, 1877. January 1, 1878, he located at Parsons, where he has since been engaged in the practice of dentistry. The doctor was married in this city June 26, 1879, to Lillie V. Holbrook, a native of Windsor Locks, Conn. They have one child - Ethel Springer.
FELIX LUCAND, dealer in ice and wood, was born in France, April 12, 1829. Came to America in 1852 and lived one year in the State of New York, then four years at Dubuque, Iowa, removing from there to Leavenworth, Kansas, May 1, 1857; resided there until he came to Parsons in April, 1871. He erected a two-story building 20x50 feet, and carried on hotel and restaurant business for five years. Was afterward in the saloon business until the prohibition law took effect. While at Leavenworth he worked at the carpenter's trade four years, then in the grocery business, and during a period of four year prior to his removal to Parsons he was engaged in farming. Mr. Lucand was married at Dubuque, Iowa, February 4, 1857, to Mary Hoenez, a native of France. They have five children living - Louise, now Mrs. H. D. Maynard, of Parsons; Adelaide, Charles, Felix Jr., and Josephine. Mr. Lucand is now a Councilman of the Fourth Ward.
H. H. LUSK, editor and proprietor of the daily and weekly Sun, was born at Edinburgh, Indiana, April 14, 1852. His education was that obtained in the village schools. At an early age he learned the art of printing with his father. At the age of fifteen he left home and exhibited his indomitable pluck and enterprise in establishing, by his own unaided efforts, the Olney Ledger, at Olney, Ill., which he published eight consecutive years. After disposing of this business he was employed with his father in the publication of the Springfield Daily Gazette, at Springfield, Ill. Coming to Kansas in 1878, he purchased the Sun at Parsons, in the publication of which he is now engaged. On April 14, 1875, he married Tinnie E. Hayward, of Olney, Ill.