|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (FAVORITE - HOLMES).
C. H. FAVORITE, grocer, was born at Dayton, Ohio, December 2, 1839. He enlisted April 16, 1861, in Company B, First Ohio Volunteer Infantry. In 1862 he went into Company B, Ninety-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until June, 1865, when he was mustered out. He was wounded (being shot four times) September 19, 1863, and afterward was on detached duty at the Provost Marshal's office at Columbus, Ohio, until he left the service. He lived in Ohio until July, 1868, when he removed to Leavenworth, Kan. In December, 1869, he located at Atchison, making that his home until 1872, when he removed to Parsons. From the time he came to the State until January, 1880, he was engaged in railroading. Since that time he has been carrying on his present business, dealing in groceries, provisions, glass, china and queensware. Mr. Favorite was married at Genoa Junction, Wis., January 26, 1870, to Lottie M. Field, a native of that place.
JAMES W. FEE, retired farmer, is a native of Felicity, Clermont Co., Ohio, born August 22, 1826. He lived in Ohio until the spring of 1848, then removed to Perry, Pike Co., Ill., where he resided until August 23, 1862, when he enlisted in Company B. Ninety-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, having assisted in raising the company. He was mustered into service as First Lieutenant of his company, and the 24th of the next December he was promoted to Captain, and served as such until August 11, 1865, when he was mustered out. He participated in all the battles of his command and never was wounded or taken prisoner. He came to Walton Township, Labette Co., Kan., March 6, 1879, locating on the southwest quarter of Section 29, and still owns that farm. He also owned a farm on the southwest quarter of Section 28, which he has disposed of. He served one year as Justice of the Peace at Walton, and was the Republican and temperance candidate for State Legislature in 1882. He served as Postmaster five years ending March 1, 1879, at Blandinsville, McDonough Co., Ill. Mr. Fee was married at Griggsville, Pike Co., Ill., October 27, 1852, to Lucy M. Parks. Mr. F. is a member of the Baptist Church, and is now engaged in hardware business.
DR. A. M. FELLOWS, Felix Street, was born in Wethersfield, Windsor Co., Vt., 1839. His ancestors were of the Puritan stock. He graduated at Dartmouth College, and also at the Medical University of the city of New York. At the age of twenty-one years he went to California and Oregon by way of the Isthmus. While in Oregon he was for a time engaged in the Indian war, known as the Yakima War. On his return he fell in with Walker the filibuster, in Nicaragua, who endeavored to force him and others into his service. He spent six years on the Pacific coast, visiting all parts of the West, and returning to Vermont in 1856. In 1859 he removed to Logan County, Ill., where he practiced his profession. In 1861 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, receiving a commission as surgeon. Soon after joining the regiment he was detailed to Grant's army then at Vicksburg, and was all through that memorable campaign. Having lost his health, he resigned his commission; he returned to his home in Illinois, and resumed the practice of his profession in July, 1863. In 1870 he emigrated to Parsons, where he continued the practice of his profession and became identified with the growth and prosperity of the city from its beginning. In Illinois he was the friend and neighbor of Abraham Lincoln, Judge Davis, Gen. Logan, and many other statesmen and politicians of that State. He retired from the practice of his profession in 1876, and now lives in a beautiful residence on the corner of Central Avenue and Felix street, Parsons. He married, in 1860, Miss Emily S. Clossen, of Springfield, Vt., by whom he has three children - Harry E., born in 1864; Bertie W., born in 1868, and Eva L., born in 1874.
S. O. FLETCHER, postmaster, was born in Martinsville, Morgan Co., Ind., October 10, 1843. In June, 1861, he enlisted in Company G. Twenty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all the engagements of his command, and was mustered out in the summer of 1865, after the close of the war. In October, 1866, he removed to Erie, Kan., and was engaged in farming there until April, 1871, when he came to Parsons, where he has since resided. He was first engaged in mercantile business here, and in 1874 he was appointed to a position in the railway mail service, which place he held until he was appointed Postmaster in March, 1878. He is now serving a second term in that office, having been reappointed in March, 1882. He was a member of the Common Council in 1874. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. Antietam Post, No. 64 Mr Fletcher was married at Parsons in September, 1878, to Miss Dora C. Gay, a native of Tennessee, daughter of the Rev. J. L. Gay, who was rector of St. John's Memorial Church, of Parsons, at the time of his daughter's marriage.
GEORGE T. FRYER, contractor and builder, was born at New Boston, Mercer Co., Ill., March 4, 1852; lived there until April, 1867, then came to Kansas, locating at Osage Mission, where he worked at his trade until August 17, 1872, when he located at Parsons which has since been his home. Mr Fryer has been engaged in carpenter work since he was twelve years of age. Since coming to Parsons he has erected several fine brick blocks, among which are Matthewson's Block, corner of Forest Avenue and Eighteenth Street, Mrs. Rosis Block on Johnson Avenue near the railroad track, Wunderlich's building adjoining that of Mrs. Rosis. Moores' Block, now occupied by C. H. Favorite, O. L. Hall's Implement warehouse, now occupied by Prather & Harper, the North Schoolhouse and others too numerous to mention, a large number of private residences among the number, and since coming here he has also been doing a large amount of work in the Indian Territory, spending about one year and a half there. His father, William G. Fryer, had the contract for building the capitol of the Creek Nation, but was taken sick and George completed the work. He also built the Baptist Mission Building in the same Nation, forty miles south of the capital. He works from six to twenty men. He takes considerable interest in brass band matters and assisted to organize the Parsons Silver Cornet Band, now known as the Coeur de Lion Band. He is a member of the K. of H. He was married at Osage Mission, Kan., July 4, 1872, to Nettie Rice, a native of Waupun, Wis. They have two children, Ella and Lizzie. Mr. Fryer's mother, Lizzie (Christy) Fryer, is still living. His father died in the Indian Territory in September, 1881, he had severed three years and three months in Company I, Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry during the War of the Rebellion.
HON. G. W. GABRIEL, physican and surgeon, was born near Athens, Athens Co., Ohio, November 17, 1843. Received his literary education in the schools of his native county, and graduated from Sterling Medical College, at Columbus, Ohio, in 1868, and in 1871 he also graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Kansas City. He located at Topeka, Kansas, in March, 1864, remaining there until 1866 when he eturned[sic] to Ohio, where he continued the study of medicine, subsequently graduating from the college, as before stated. In 1869 he settled in Ladore Township, Neosho Co., Kansas, continuing to reside there until he came to Parsons, April 1, 1871, being one of the early settlers of this place. While in Neosho County he served as County Commissioner, being a member of the board at the time of the county seat struggle. He resigned the position of Commissioner prior to removal to Parsons. He was a member of the first Board of Aldermen of this city, and is now serving a third term as Mayor. In 1877, 1876, 1882 and 1883 he was a member of Kansas House of Representatives. He is a member of the Southeastern Kansas District Medical Society, and is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. The doctor was married in Ladore Township, Neosho Co. Kas., in August, 1870, to Elizabeth J. Hallowell, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children living, Harry, Mary and an infant son; lost one child. The doctor served about two and a half years in the army, about one year in the Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the balance of the time in the One Hundred and Sixteenth Ohio Volunteers, except one hundred days service in Kansas at the time of the Price raid.
CHARLES GENTRY, Alderman residence, Morgan avenue; was born in Monroe County, Ky., 1829. His father was James Gentry. He had twelve children, two having been born in Virginia and ten in Kentucky, Mr. G. being the eleventh in age. Mr. G's occupation during his early life was farming. He received a common school education and emigrated to Fredonia, Kas., in 1870. In the spring of 1872 he came to Parsons, when there were but four houses. Mr. Gentry has traveled in eighteen States of the Union. In 1878 he was employed by the railroad companies to carry freight and make collections, which business he has followed since that time. April, 1881, he was elected a member of the Common Council of the city of Parsons. He was married to Elizabeth S. Glover, of Barron County, Ky., in 1852. She was born in 1834. They have three children living: Elizabeth, born in 1854, married to Andrew Jackson in 1872, and living in Parsons; Jennie G., born in 1856, and married to Michael Tryer, who also lives in Parsons; Florence, born in 1864, married to G. F. Cunningham December 10, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. G. are members of the Baptist Church of Parsons. Mr. G enlisted in the Fifth Kentucky Cavalry, Company C, and continued in the service until May 11, 1864. He was with Kilpatrick in his famous raid through Georgia, and with Sherman fifteen months in his march to the sea. Mr. G. probably saw more active and varied service than many who were soldiers in the late war.
LEWIS B. GRAVES, of the firm of Cary & Graves, dealers in general merchandise, was born in Brunswick, Maine, November 30, 1846. In 1866 he entered Eastman's Business College, at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., taking a thorough course in that institution, returning from there to his native place, where he was employed as a clerk for one year, and in December, 1870, he removed to Junction City, Kansas, afterwards making his headquarters at Sedalia, Mo., until he permanently located at Parsons in 1877. He was for several years connected with the M. K. & T. R. R. being employed as carpenter for that company. In September, 1878, he engaged in mercantile business with Cary & Biggs and was a member of that firm until the present firm of Cary & Graves was organized. Mr. G. is a member of A., F. & A. M. In November, 1878, he was married at Chetopa, Kas., to Charlotte E. Lamb, a native of Indiana. They have one child, Franklin L.
JAMES GRIMES, real estate, insurance and collection agency, is a native of Magnolia, Putnam Co., Ill., born July 9, 1845; when he was about nine months old, his mother (his father having died) moved with her family to Utica Township, Clark Co., Ind. James resided there until March, 1868, then came to Kansas, locating two miles north of the city of Atchison, remaining there until July, of that year, when he went to Missouri, residing in Platte and Buchanan counties until he returned to Kansas, in January, 1870, locating this time in Ladore Township, Neosho County. In September of 1870, he removed to the village of Ladore. In November of 1870, he began carpenter work at Parsons, and he also assisted to move several buildings from Ladore to Parsons. When he first began work here there were but two shanties up. In April, 1871, he brought his family to Parsons and continued working at the carpenters' trade until the following fall, when he engaged in buying and shipping grain for Wood & Co., continuing to do business for that firm until after the death of Mr. Wood in the winter of 1872 or '73. After closing up the business of that firm he was in the grain business for E. K. Current, John Gebert, and later in the employ of the Parsons' Flouring Mill Company until 1876. During the winter of 1876-77 and 1877-78 he taught school, having been a professional teacher prior to locating here. In 1878 he published the first city directory of Parsons, issuing a similar publication every two years since then. He has served three years as City Assessor. He was a member of the School Board four years and afterwards served one year as Clerk of the Board. In the fall of 1877, he was elected Secretary of the Grand Lodge of the I. O. G. T. for the State of Kansas. In the spring of 1878, he engaged in real estate business, adding the insurance department in the July following. For the last four years he has served as Treasurer of the Grand Lodge of the I. O. G. T. He is also Lodge Deputy and Secretary of Parsons Lodge, No. 46, of the same order. He is Secretary of the American Legion of Honor Lodge. He is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, being one of the trustees; a member of the Board of Stewards and Recorder of that Board, and also secretary of the Sunday School. He is one of the Directors of the Mechanic's Building and Loan Association and is examiner of titles for that organization. He is Secretary and Treasurer of the Parsons Local Board of Underwriters. He is a member of the Right Worthy Grand Lodge, of the World, of the I. O. G. T. and was representative to its meetings at Detroit, Mich., and New York City in 1879 and 1880, respectively. In 1881, he was past representative at the season held at Topeka. He made an active canvass in behalf of the adoption of the prohibition amendment, speaking at various places during a period of two months. He was married at Jeffersonville, Ind., May 7, 1865, to Kate Morrow, a native of Utica, Clark Co., Ind. They have five children living - Cora, Everett, Rowland, Ethel, and Myrtle. Lost two children, who died in infancy. Mrs. Grimes and eldest daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
R. E. HALLOWAY, U. S. Railway Mail agent, was born in Aurora, Ind., August, 28, 1844. When he was but a few years old, his father died, and his mother started with her family to Iowa, but she died on the journey. R. E. lived in Iowa until October, 1861, when he enlisted as a private in Company B., Fourteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant after having passed through the various lower offices. He remained in the service until April, 1865, serving as a clerk about six months, having charge of the Freedman's Bureau at Alexandria, Va., and connected with the department at Washington, D. C. After leaving the army he returned to Iowa, and resumed his studies. He was educated at the Iowa University, and for a year and a half prior to coming to Kansas he was employed as a teacher. Came to North Township, Labette Co., Kan., and located on Section 35, Township 31, Range 20, March 1, 1870. He was engaged in teaching for eight years, in addition to looking after his farming interests. He was a member of the Settlers' League, and was secretary of that organization for one year, during the Osage ceded land troubles. He has been connected with the railway mail service since 1878, running on the Sedalia & Parsons route since that time. At the recent civil-service examination, March 18, 1883, his standing was 100 in every respect, which is the highest rating attained on M. K. & T. R. R. in the last eight years. He is a member of Excelsior Lodge No. 12, A. O. U. W., Empire Lodge No. 1911, K. of H., and Antietam Post No. 64 G. A. R. Mr. Hailoway was married, in Iowa City, Iowa, March 28, 1868, to Mary E. Callahan, a native of Galena, Ill. She died in July, 1871, leaving two children, one of whom still survives her - Horace H. Mr. Halloway married his present wife, Wealthy A. Shepard, in North Township, Labette Co., Kan., March 10, 1872. They have three children - Ella A., Lee J., and Loie Genevieve. Mrs. Halloway is a native of Monmouth, Warren Co., Ill.
BENJAMIN F. HARDY, contractor and builder, was born in Franklin, Lenawee Co., Mich., November 5, 1844. He enlisted December 15, 1862, in Company I., Seventh Michigan Cavalry (with Gen. Custer); he participated in all the battles and engagements of his command after the battle of Culpepper, in August, 1863, and never received a wound. Remained in the service until December 25, 1865, when he was mustered out. Returning to his native town, he remained there until 1868, when he removed to Osceloa Township, Osceloa Co., Mich., settling there before the county was organized. February 16, 1881, he removed from there to Parsons, Kan. For about one year after locating here, he was concected with the Bridge Department of the Missouri Pacific Rail Road. Since then he has been engaged in contracting and building. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, A. O. U. W., and G. A. R. Antietam Post No. 64. He was married in Franklin, Mich., to Almeda Morton, a native of Ingham County, Mich. They have two children living - Mary Emma, and Grace Greenwood. Their eldest child, Morton Osgood, died since they came to Parsons, aged eleven years.
FRANK G. HARPER, of the firm of Harper & Prather, dealers in agricultural implements, was born at Vincennes, Knox Co., Ind., April 29, 1846; came to Mound Valley Township, Labette Co., Kan., January 20, 1871, locating on the northeast quarter of Section 23, Township 23, Range 18; lived there until November, 1878. In February, 1880, he engaged in his present business, dealing in farm machinery, wagons, grain and garden seeds, etc. Since September, 1881, his present partner, Henry Prather, has been associated with him. Mr. Harper still owns the farm where he first located in Kansas. He was married in Labette Township, Labette Co., Kan., January 15, 1874, to Laura A. Schick, a native of Hamersville, Brown Co., Ohio. They have one child - Elsie Kate.
G. W. HAWK, cashier of the Parsons Commercial Bank, was born in Washington, Fayette, Co., Ohio, December 1, 1843. In June, 1861, he enlisted in Company I. Twenty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. His parents had previously located with their family in Champaign County, Illinois. He served in the army until September, 1864, and was wounded in the battle of Stone River. After leaving the service, he returned to Illinois, and after spending one year in the schools at Chicago, he was employed as Deputy in the County Treasurer's office at Urbana for three years, afterward being connected with the First National Bank of Champaign as bookkeeper, remaining in that position until April, 1872, and came to Parsons in September of the same year. About two months later, he accepted the position of bookkeeper in the First National Bank here, and later, he became assistant cashier, which position he held until July 1, 1878, when he resigned for the purpose of taking the position in the bank which he now manages, this bank succeeding the business of the Parsons Savings Bank, which was organized in 1874, but changing its name at the time Mr. Hawk became connected with it. Mr. H. is a member of the A., F. and A. M., and A. O. U. W. He was married in Parsons, March 11, 1875, to Linna J. Hodges, a native of Leavenworth County, Kansas.
GEORGE HAYNES, conductor Missouri Pacific Railway, corner of Forest avenue and Twenty-second street, was born at Newark, N. J. in 1884. His father was George Haynes, born and raised in Newark. His mother was also a native of the same city. Mr Haynes received his education in the public schools of Newark. At the age of twenty-one, he emigrated to Wisconsin, where he was employed by the Chicago & Northwestern Railway company as brakeman. He rose rapidly to the position of freight conductor, and from that to passenger conductor, in which capacity he is now employed by the Missouri Pacific company, on the road between Parsons and Denison, Tex. Mr. H. came to Fort Scott in 1870, and from thence to Parsons, in 1871, where he has resided ever since. He was married to Miss Julia Tyler, of Madison, Wis., whose parents are still living there. They were originally from Ithaca, N. Y. Mr. Haynes' parents are still living at Newark, N. J. He has taken all the degrees including the commandery. Mr. H. has two children - Minnie, born in 1867, and Jacob, in 1876. He also learned the jeweler's trade.
J. J. HENDERSON. County Commissioner, was born in Fayette County, Ind., March 23, 1816, and removed to Fountain County in the same State, in 1833, living there most of time until he came to Kansas. Resided three years at Crawfordsville, Ind., and was a resident of Covington, Ind., prior to locating on Section 23, Township 19, Range 30 (Ladore Township), Neosho Co., Kan., in March, 1870. He was engaged in farming and stock raising there until the spring of 1879, when he removed to Parsons. Since coming to this city, he has invested considerable money in building and improving residence property. He was first married, in 1836, to Jane King, a native of Kentucky. She died, leaving four children - William Franklin, now Register of Deeds of Neosho County; Fannie E., now Mrs. M. E. Board, of Fountain County, Ind.,; Albert Wilson, at present the proprietor of a marble yard at Lafayette, Ind., and Washington Louis, a merchant at Osage Mission, Neosho Co., Kan. Mr. Henderson was married to his present wife, Mary J. Knox, at Crawfordsville, Ind. She is a native of Kentucky. Mr. H. is a member of the Baptist Church.
WILLIAM HIGGINS, Sergeant-at-Arms of Kansas House of Representatives, was born in Norristown, Pa., April 2, 1842, and lived there until 1852, when his father, Patrick Higgins, removed with his family to Missouri, and resided at St. Louis and Liberty until September, 1854, when he brought the family to Leavenworth County, having previously come out there May 16, 1854, and determined on his location. From 1854 to 1857 alternated between Leavenworth and Lexington, Mo., attending school. July 17, 1857, the family removed to Paola, Miami County, where the parents lived until their death. William's mother's, Jane Flannigan Higgins' demise occurred in August, 1868, his father's death taking place July 4, 1872. William enlisted April 4, 1862, in Company G, Second Missouri Battalion, and served in that company for eleven months, and was then discharged on general orders. Re-enlisted August 2, 1863, in Company C, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry. Was in every engagement while with both commands under which he served. He received several manifestations of respect from the officers for his remarkable bravery, being appointed over all line officers to command foraging parties, etc. He was in the army until October 19, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. He then returned to Paola and published the Miami Free Press, and during a part of 1868 and 1869 he conducted the Le Roy Pioneer. February 22, 1870, he removed from Paola to Baxter Springs, but remained but three months and was then at Coffeyville until December of the same year, when he returned to Baxter Springs, and remained there until June 2, 1871, when he located at Columbus. He published the Columbus Journal until he was appointed claim agent for the M. K. & T. R. R. Company in July, 1876. He then made Parsons his headquarters, although he did not formally locate at that place until November, 1877. He held the position of claim agent until June, 1880. While at Paola he served four years as City Marshal and Deputy Sheriff. He was appointed Justice of the Peace of Parsons in the fall of 1880. He has held the position of Sergeant-at-Arms of the Kansas House of Representatives since 1875. He is a member of the K. of P. and the K. of H. and has been past deputy grand master thereof. He was junior vice commander of Gen. Rice Post No. 71, G. A. R. and is now a member of Lincoln Post, No. 1, G. A. R. at Topeka. Mr. Higgins was married to Laura Virginia Kinsley, Nov. 30, 1879. They have two children - Helen Webster and Theodore Crosby.
EDMUND L. HILL, mail agent on branch of the Missouri Pacific. Born in Pawler, Rutland Co., Vt., in 1837. Father's name Nathaniel, born in Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Was a shoemaker by trade and moved to Vermont from New York at the age of eighteen. His grandfather was a revolutionary soldier, born, lived and died in New York. Mr. H. received his education in the public and select schools of Vermont. In 1864 he left his native town and married Maria Dorsey, sister of Senator Dorsey of Arkansas. She was born in Benson. Vt., in 1842. Her father's name was John Dorsey, a school teacher, who died in 1851. They have three children, Gertie, born in Benson, Vt., July, 1864., educated in Poultney seminary, Vt. Edmund, born in Rutledge, Vt., December 20, 1867, educated at Poultney seminary. Edith, born in Rutland in 1873. In 1864 Mr. H. moved to Rutland where he remained until 1870, when he emigrated to Hannibal, Mo., where he received his appointment as mail agent on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Soon afterward he was transferred to the branch line of the same road from Junction City of Parsons, making his home in that town. Mr. H. had six brothers and sisters, two of whom are deceased. Thomas lives on a farm near Parsons, Nathaniel and Morrison living in Augusta, Georgia, Charles living in Rutledge, Vt., Clive living in Minnesota, Mrs. Vest in Pawlet, Vt., Mrs. Usher in Augusta, Ga. Mr. Hill and family member of the Congregational Church.
GEORGE C. HITCHCOCK, manufacturer of boots and shoes, was born at Arcade, Wyoming Co., N. Y., December 31, 1842, and removed from there to Parsons, Kas., in September, 1877. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and A. O. U. W. He was married at Arcade, N. Y., October 23, 1870, to Arabelle Parker, a native of that place. They have three children, Mabel M., Bertha H., and Flora.
JOHN W. HOGUE, one of the proprietors of the Parsons Coal Company, is a native of Xenia, Greene Co., Ohio, and was born April 11, 1842, and lived in his native place until he was fourteen years of age, afterwards at Elmwood, Peoria Co., Ill., until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company H., One Hundred and Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving in that regiment until he was mustered out in July, 1865. He participated in all engagements of his command. After leaving the army, he returned to Elmwood, Ill., and remained there until he came to Parsons in March, 1872; was employed as foreman of the construction of the M. K. & T. machine shops, and for six years he had charge of the Parsons mills. Since then he has been engaged in coal business, for the last year in partnership with L. F. Dick and Ed. Palmer, under the firm name of "Parsons Coal Company." Their coal mines are located at Weir City, Cherokee Co. Kan., where they give employment to 112 men, and mine from twenty to twenty-five car loads of coal per day. They have steam and gin shafts. The coal vein is about four feet in thickness and the bottom of the coal beds is about forty feet below the surface of the ground. Mr. Hogue was married at Parsons, October 2, 1872, to Lizzie McClung, a native of Decatur Brown Co., Ohio. They have one child living - Fred Percy. Lost two children - John Paul died at the age of twenty-two months, and Jessie was only eleven months old when she died. Mr. H. is a prominent member of the Presbyterian Church.
R. T. HOLLOWAY, attorney and City Clerk, was born at Monmouth, Warren Co., Ill., October 2, 1851, and lived there but a few months. Being the son of E. B. Holloway, an army officer, he was reared in various States and Territories where his father was stationed. He received his principal literary education at the St. Louis University, where he received the degree of A. B. He read law while at Shelbyville, Ill., with Hon. Anthony Thornton one of the Judges of the Supreme Court of Illinois, and was admitted to the bar in 1874, removing to Parsons, Kansas in September of the same year. He served two terms as City Attorney, and was appointed City Clerk in the spring of 1882.
E. C. HOSTETTER, dentist, was born at Ligonier, Noble Co., Ind., November 20, 1850, and came to Kansas, April 15, 1867, locating at Ottawa, Franklin County. He afterwards resided at Thayer for several years, coming from there to Parsons in December, 1881. The doctor began working at his present business eighteen years ago, and has studied and practiced the profession since that time. He was married at Ottawa, Kansas, April 15, 1881, to Anna Marquand, a native of Coshocton County, Ohio. They have one child - a daughter.
W. C. HOLMES, druggist, was born in London, England, in April, 1840. he came to the United States in 1870, and was located in Illinois until June, 1871, when he came to Parsons, Kansas, engaging in the drug business here, which he has since continued. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. Mr. Holmes was married in his native city, in 1870, to Eliza Hollis, also a native of London. They have four children - Oliver C., Ethel K., William S. and Charles B.