KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


LABETTE COUNTY, Part 28

[TOC] [part 29] [part 27] [Cutler's History]

ELM GROVE TOWNSHIP.

Ripon is situated in the southern part of the county near the line of the Indian Territory, in Elm Grove Township, and on the Coffeyville and Chetopa stage line. There is a Methodist, a Presbyterian and a Christian church at the place, also a post office. C. B. Pratt was the first Postmaster, who also established a general store, in 1870. Thomas Greenup is the present Postmaster.

Minerva is a post office, in the north part of Elm Grove Township, near Hackberry Creek.

Edna is a post office, about twenty-one miles southwest of Oswego, on the tri-weekly stage line between Coffeyville and Chetopa. F. A. Clark is the present Postmaster. A general store and a blacksmith shop are located here. The population is about fifty.

Kingston is a post office, two miles southeast of Edna, on stage line, between Coffeyville and Chetopa, and has a daily mail. C. W. Campbell is Postmaster. The place contains a Presbyterian church, three general stores and a few residences.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - ELM GROVE TOWNSHIP.

CHARLES F. BANZET, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Ripon, was born in Alsace, March 8, 1830, and was reared and educated there. In 1850 he came to America and landed in New Orleans, and subsequently located in Illinois, where he was identified with farming for a few years. After which he went to Iowa and carried on that business there for nearly twenty-three years, principally in Marshall and Story counties. In 1876 came here, located, and has carried on his present business since. He married in LaSalle County, Ills., Miss Louisa Kastler, who was born in his native country, and who departed this life July 22, 1881, and is buried in Lucas Cemetery here, leaving five sons and three daughters - living: Charles A., Mary L., now Mrs. B. M. Wagner; Henry G., Edward, Josephine E., Frank , William and Gustavus, and have buried Rosanna, twin sister of Emma, in McDaniel Cemetery, Story County, Iowa. His farm contains 200 acres of good land, is well fenced and stocked; has nice buildings and an orchard of nicely assorted variety of fruit.

HON. D. C. CONSTANT, owner of Alder Grove Farm, P. O. Minerva, was born in Sangamon County, Ill., January 28, 1834, and was educated in McKendrie College, at Lebanon, Ill. At the age of twenty-two he began teaching in Illinois, and after a year's experience there he went to Texas and was engaged in teaching there until 1863, when, in consequence of his being loyal to the Union, he was compelled to abandon that country, and come North, and was identified with his profession in Illinois and St. Louis principally until 1866, when he again returned to Texas, and engaged in his profession, and in the following year was appointed Commissioner of Registration for his district, in which position he served until 1868, when he was elected to represent Fannin and Hunt counties in the Constitutional Convention, in which he did efficient service, in the fall of 1868, and in the following year, located upon his present place of 160 acres, which he has improved. He married, in 1860, Miss Antoinette Snow, a lady of literary attainments, who was born in Macoupin County, Ill. They have two sons - Albert and D. Clark. Mrs. Constant being also a teacher, proved a very fitting helpmeet to him in his pioneer work in Texas, and when the troubles incident to the war came, she, too, became an objective party to the disloyal element, and found herself obliged to undergo a hazardous trip to the North. She has been a Daughter of Masonry for several years, and this very materially assisted her in her escape. After reaching her native State she received an appointment to do sanitary work, and received a commission from the Northwestern Sanitary Commissioner, at St. Louis, Mo., where in conjunction with Jere Brown and his co-workers, at Leavenworth, she was very active for some considerable time, returning with her husband to Texas again in 1866. In 1872 and 1873 he represented the Forty-fourth District in the Legislative Assembly of Kansas and in 1873 she was appointed by United States Government as teacher among the Seminoles in the Indian Territory, and in the following year he received a similar appointment where they were identified until 1880, when he having previously retired from that work, she found it impracticable in consequence of circumstances. She maintained and succeeded by her very womanly interference in saving the life of an Indian woman, who was condemned for witchcraft. Since retiring from school-work in the Territory they have been engaged in farming upon the old homestead - Alder Grove Farm.

MYRON COOK, owner of the Nation View stock and grain farm, P. O. Kingston, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., March 28, 1853, and was reared there to his present industry. At the age of eighteen he came to Kansas, and located upon his present place, which he has handsomely improved. He married in 1874, Miss Mary F. Leib, a native of York County, Pa., whose people settled here in 1870. They have a son and a daughter - Edgar Scott, and Jessie Alice. Mrs. Cook is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and K. of H. societies. Since locating here he has worked in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality. Nation View farm is pleasantly located in the southern part of Elm Grove Township, and contains 119 acres of valuable land, devoted to pastorage[sic], meadow, and grain. Mr. jCook having also 80 acres one mile adjacent, which is entirely devoted to grain. The farm proper is very nicely fenced, has an abundance of water supply, and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruit trees. In stock-rearing and dealing he does a business of about 200 head per year. Nice dwellings and out-buildings are located on the farm, situated so as to give a nice view of it and surrounding country.

EPHRAIM DAVIDSON, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Ripon, was born in Shelby County, Ohio, September 15, 1831. About 1857 he located in Logan County, Ill., and was identified in that county, and after in Tazewell County, with his present industry for several years. In 1872, he came here and located and has carried on his present industry since. He married in 1855, Miss Margaret Ann Musselman, of his native place. They have four sons and six daughters - Daniel, John William, Elizabeth J., now Mrs. Dayton; David, Sarah C., Carey L., May Belle, Benjamin F., Ephraim (Jr.), and Addie. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains fifty-eight acres of valuable land, devoted to grain tillage, well fenced and watered, good buildings and a nice orchard. He also controls 240 acres in the Nation, and adjoining his farm, which he utilizes principally to grain tillage and pasturage. In stock rearing he does an[sic] good business in sheep, cattle, and horses, especially in sheep rearing, handling about 500 head a year.

JAMES M. EDMUNDSON, owner of Salem Farm, P. O. Ripon, was born in Meigs County, Ohio, January 25, 1841, and was reared there a farmer, which industry he was actively identified with until 1871, when he came to Kansas, and located upon his present place, which he improved. He married in 1867, Miss Emma C. Hayes, who was born in Gallia, and reared in Meigs County, Ohio. They have one son and two daughters - Warren H., Ethel E., and Hollis L. During the war he did service in Company I, Fifty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, from October, 1861, until August, 1865, when he was honorably discharged as a veteran of Company I, Fifty-third Ohio Veteran Infantry, and was pensioned for disabilities received in the service. Since locating here he has since worked towards the development of the public and social life of his locality, serving actively in municipal and school offices. Salem farm contains 160 acres of valuable land, all under a good state of improvement. It has nice dwellings and out buildings located upon it, and an orchard of well assorted fruits. In stock rearing Mr. E. pays special attention to that of fine bred animals.

JEROME B. ELLIS, owner of Em Grove stock and grain farm, P. O. Minerva, was born in Parke County, Ind., March 2, 1839, and was identified with the farming industry there until 1866, when he located in Vermillion County, Ill., and carried on farming and carried on farming and stock raising since. He married in 1860, Miss Mary C. Bradfield, who was born in Ohio and reared in Indiana. They have a family of four sons and one daughter - William M., Andrew R., Frank P., Lemoine C., and Laura A. He and his wife and Frank P. are members of the Baptist Church. He is a member of the Horse Protective Association of the State. In stock raising he pays an especial attention to the rearing and breeding of Durham cattle, Norman horses, Poland China hogs, and does a considerable business in raising mules. Elm Grove farm contains 640 acres of valuable land, is pleasantly located in Em Grove Township, a short distance from Minerva P. O. It is well improved with good hedge fences, surrounding and cross fencing; it has nice dwellings and out buildings; it is well watered by Hackberry Creek, running through it. Eighteen acres is devoted to horticulture, in which there is a well selected variety of fruit trees; has twenty acres of forest trees of a very full variety. Mr. Ellis has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here, and has served efficiently in many local offices. He is a member of the G. A. R. having done service in Company K., Forty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, from October, 1862, until the end of the war, from which he received an honorable discharge.

JAMES P. FAUROT, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Cecil, Labette Co., Kan., was born in Susquehanna County, Pa., December 11, 1842. February 25, 1863, he enlisted in Company F, Sixth New York Heavy Artillery Volunteers, and served until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged and pensioned for wounds received at the battle of Cedar Creek, Va. In 1869 he came here and located, and engaged in his present business, which he has made a success. He was married in 1870 to Miss Frankie Hull, of New York State, a lady of literary attainments. They have one son and two daughters - Nellie May, Ralph E. and Ethel P. He and his wife have been active members of the Presbyterian Church for several years. He has been a member of the Masonic order for the last sixteen years, whose principles he cherishes, and has worked in temperance movements, being a member of different societies. His farm contains fifty-six acres of valuable land, devoted mainly to grain. Has good buildings and a fine orchard. To stock raising he pays considerable attention, his land adjoining the Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory, giving him an excellent opportunity for grazing.

AMOS D. FIZER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Ripon, was born in Montgomery County, Ky., February 8, 1831. At about the age of twenty-one, he went to Missouri, and was identified in that State for seven years. He then went to California, and carried on farming and stock raising for ten years, after which he came to Kansas, and located in Atchison County, and subsequently came here in 1870, where he has been actively connected with his present industry, paying more especial attention to the raising and breeding of fine bred horses and mules. He married, in 1860, Miss Sarah Jane Sweeney, who was born in Monroe County, Va., and was reared in this State, her people having located in Kansas about 1855. They have one son and three daughters - Rena, Albertine, Willard and Lavina. On July 21, 1881, Mrs. Fizer departed this life, in full communion with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is buried in Hackberry Cemetery. During the war, Mr. Fizer did active service in Company D, Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, from August, 1862, till the end of the war, and was honorably discharged and pensioned for disabilities. His farm contains 160 acres of good land, and is well fenced, watered and stocked; has good buildings, and an orchard of four acres of nicely assorted fruits.

JOHN FROMAN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Kingston, was born in Spencer County, Ky., October 3, 1844, and was identified with his present industry there until 1874, when he came to Kansas and located here, where he has carried on his present industry since. He married, in 1871 Miss Sally R. Goodwin, of his native State. They have a family of two sons and two daughters - Oscar, Mary E., Charles William and Flora Myrtle, Mr. F., his wife and eldest son are members of the Baptist Church. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and K. of H. societies. Since coming here, he has always assisted in the development and growth of the industrial life of this locality. His farms, of which he has two of 160 acres each, joining each other, are well improved, well fenced have an abundant supply of water, fine dwellings and outbuildings, and there are about three acres of orchards on each, of nicely assorted fruits; besides, he has a handsome lot of forest trees. In stock raising, he pays considerable attention to sheep, cattle, horses and hogs, especially Merino sheep.

REV. GEORGE H. GOODWIN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Kingston, was born in Spencer County, Ky., April 22, 1836, and was reared to farming industry, and was identified with it in Union County, Ky., till 1870, when he came to Kansas, and located here in 1871. He married, in 1858, Miss Lucy A. Reasor, of Union County, Ky. They have a family of two sons and three daughters living - Debbie, Rebecca, Bessie R., Thomas and Ray B. He and his wife have been members of the Baptist Church for many years. He has worked in the ministry of that church for the last ten years. In 1881 he was appointed to the charge of work among the Indians by the American Baptist Home Mission Society, and has worked zealously in that connection since. During the late civil war he enlisted, his sympathies being with the cause of the South, in August, 1862, in the Tenth Kentucky Cavalry, and followed Morgan in his raid through Indiana and Ohio, where he was taken prisoner, and remained as such until February, 1865, when he was paroled. He has been an active member of the Masonic order for the last fourteen years. His farm contains 189 acres of valuable land, is well fenced and stocked, has handsome dwellings and outbuildings located upon it, and an orchard of six acres of nicely assorted fruit trees.

JOHN W. GOODWIN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Kingston, was born in Spencer County Ky., October 19, 1849, and was reared there to his present industry, with which he was actively identified till the spring of 1873, when he came here and located. He married in 1874, Miss Florence Drake, of his native place. They have two sons and tow daughters, Emma M., Alma, Vernie C. and Iley. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. His farm contains one hundred and sixty acres of valuable land, under a good state of cultivation. It is well fenced, has good water supply, and nice dwelling and out buildings are located upon it, and has an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruit trees, as well as a number of forest trees.

LEWIS GOODWIN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Kingston; was born in Spencer County, Ky., November 26, 1831. Was reared there to his present industry, with which he was actively identified there till 1871, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a raw prairie to its present condition. It contains one hundred and sixty acres of good land; is well fenced and stocked, in which latter he pays particular attention to the rearing and breeding of cattle and sheep. It has good buildings and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits. He married in 1855, Miss Susan Graham, of his native place. They have two sons and three daughters, Eliza J., now Mrs. Joseph Drake, boot and shoe merchant of Mound Valley; Caroline, now Mrs. G. W. Reaser, merchant of Kingston; William W., George I., and America Ann. He and his wife have been active members of the Baptist Church for the last sixteen years. He is an active member of the K. of H. society. He has held the trusteeship of his township, and has filled other municipal and school offices.

SQUIRE THOMAS GREENUP, farmer and Postmaster of Ripon; was born in Monroe County, Ky., February 9, 1825, and settled with his people in Morgan County, Ill., in 1835, where he was actively identified with farming for over twenty-one years. In 1859 he went to Iowa, and subsequently located in Richardson County, Neb., where he carried on farming for nine years, after which he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved. He married, in 1844, Miss Henrietta Gunn, who was born in Tennessee and reared in Illinois. They have five sons and four daughters, William E., Ann E., now Mrs. William F. Gwynne; Thomas E., Mary E., now Mrs. John Clough; Sarah E., now Mrs. T. H. Case; Benjamin E., Charles E., Ellen E., and Doris E. He and his wife have been active members of the Christian Church for over forty years. He has held the Justice's office of his township, and has been active in other local official positions. His farm contains eighty acres of valuable land, has nice dwelling and outbuildings, and an orchard of nicely assorted fruit trees.

I. D. JOHNSON, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Kingston; was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, May 1, 1818. At the age of 18, he located in Belmont County, where he was prominently identified for thirty-five years, his principal industry being merchandising. In 1871, he cam to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has handsomely improved. It contains one hundred and sixty acres of valuable land, all under a good state of cultivation, is well stocked. Mr. Johnson makes a specialty of sheep. Good dwellings and out buildings are located on the farm, and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruit trees. It has also a handsome lot of forest trees. He married in 1845, Miss Margaret P. Happer, a lady of fine literary attainments, who was born and reared in Belmont county. They have a family of five sons and one daughter, Andrew H., Thomas R., Edwin L., D. H., Brading and Sally D. He and his wife are active members of the Presbyterian Church. He has been an active member of the Masonic order for several years.

CHARLES LERCH, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Edna; was born in Northampton County., Penn., June, 28, 1827, and was reared and educated there. In 1850 he located in Stark County, Ohio, and carried on farming there till 1857, when he went to Edgar County, Ill., and was identified with farming there till 1869. He then located in Sedalia, Mo., and in 1872 came here and located upon his present place, the following spring, and has improved it from a state of nature to its present handsome condition. It contains one hundred and sixty acres of valuable land, well improved, with good hedge fence, an orchard of four hundred trees, a goodly number of forest trees, and handsome dwelling, and outbuildings. It is well stocked. Mr. Lerch paying considerable attention to raising a good grade of cattle, horses and hogs. He married in 1856, Miss Mary A. Pearson, of Stark County, Ohio. They have one son, W. F. Lerch.

ANTHONY MOORE, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Ripon, was born in Heard County, Ga., upon the plantation of James Woods. At the age of thirteen he was sold into Mississippi, and afterwards became the property of Lewis Moore, from whom he obtained his surname. At the time of the war he was in service to the Confederate army and remained in it till 1863, when he escaped to the Union army and was soon after properly made a free man. After traveling in the North some five years he came to Kansas in 1869 and located upon his present place, which he has very nicely improved. It contains fifty-eighty acres of valuable land, well fenced with hedge, and has a plentiful water supply, nice dwelling and outbuildings, and located on his farm is an orchard of three and one-half acres of a well assorted variety of fruit trees, besides a goodly number of handsome forest trees. He married in 1866 Miss Mahulda Orr, formerly Hulett, a native of Missouri, born in slavery and obtained her freedom after Lincoln's proclamation. They have two sons and three daughters, Lydia Frances, Walter Baker, Mary Meltena, Lewis and Bertie. He and his wife are active members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Moore began life here without a dollar, and has by dint of steady and persistent industry secured for his family a nice home and competence, and the esteem and respect of his white neighbors.

EDGAR ROSBORO, owner of Rosboro Farm, P. O. Edna was born in Columbia County, N. Y., May 6, 1838, and was reared and educated there. He was identified in that State until 1870, principally in the hotel business in Albany, where he was connected with the Merchants' Hotel for fifteen years. In 1870 he came to Kansas, locating her[sic] and has been identified with farming and stock raising here since. His farm contains 160 acres of valuable land, mostly devoted to grain tillage. It is well improved with hedge fences, good buildings, and an orchard of well assorted fruits. In stock he is paying special attention to raising and breeding fine bred cattle and hogs. He married in 1880 Miss Edith Goodwin, who was born and reared in St. Lawrence County, N. Y. They have one little girl, Mabel. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has worked in the development of the industrial life of this locality since coming here and has assisted materially in improving three farms during this time.

PETER SHUFELT, owner of Kinderhook Farm P. O. Edan, was born in Columbia County, N. Y., May 23, 1828, and was reared and educated there. He identified himself with farming and milling industries there and carried them on for several years. In 1867 he located in DeKalb County, Ill., and carried on farming there till 1870, when he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has very handsomely improved from a raw prairie. He married in 1856 Miss Helen Rosboro, of New York, who died in 1875 and is buried in the Kinderhook Country, near her native place, leaving a family of four sons and one daughter. Wilson Edward, Robert, Warren, Charles and Minnie. He married in 1877 Sarah Elizabeth Froman, who was born and reared in Spencer County, Ky. She is a member of the Baptist Church. Kinderhook farm is located just adjoining the village of Edna, and contains 240 acres of valuable land. It is handsomely improved with good hedges, nice dwellings and out buildings, and an orchard of five acres of nicely assorted fruit trees and beautiful forests are located in goodly numbers upon the farm, and it is well stocked with cattle, horses, and hogs.

BENJAMIN M. SMITH, owner of Elmwood Farm, was born in Galena, Ill. Came to Kansas in 1869, and located on his present place, which is situated in Elm Grove Township, on the State and Nation lane. Was married in September, 1869, to Miss Mary L. Beebe, of Galena, Ills.

BENJAMIN M. WAGNER, owner of Lookout Ridge Farm, P.O. Ripon, was born in Fulton County, Ind., August 25, 1846, and was reared in St. Joe County, Ind., where he was identified with farming until 1870, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved from raw prairie to its present handsome condition. He married in December, 1882, Miss Mary L. Banzet, who was born and reared in Iowa. She is an active member of the Christian Church. During the war Mr. Wagner made two unsuccessful applications for service in it, but was incapacitated in consequence of an injury received in his knee previously. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. Lookout Ridge Farm is peasantly located one-half a mile south of Ripon postoffice. It contains 160 acres of valuable land about all under grain tillage. It is well fenced, watered and stocked, has nice buildings and commands a complete view of the surrounding country, and also has an orchard of seven aces of well assorted fruit trees. It has besides a goodly number of handsome forest trees.

JAMES WILMOTH, owner of Centennial Grove Farm, P. O. Kingston; was born in LaRue County, Ky., July 8, 1843. In August, 1861, he enlisted from Hardin County, in Company F. Fourth Kentucky Cavalry, and did active service till January 27, 1865. Was honorably disharged and pensioned for wounds and lung disease. Received wounds at New Haven, Ky., and Chickamauga, Ga. He carried on farming in Edmonson County, Ky., till November, 1870 when he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has improved. It contains 240 acres of good land, is well fenced, watered and stocked. He makes a pecialty of Cotswold Sheep. Good dwellings and out buildings are located on the farm, and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits, as well as a handsome grove of forest trees, planted in 1876, from which his farm derives its very appropriate name. He married April 9, 1865, Miss Almira Stenett, of Kentucky. They have five sons and three daughters, Mary Ellen, William S., George, Nettie, Hatie, James Jr., John and Charles. He and his wife have been active members of the Baptist church for last sixteen years.

JOHN S. WIMMER, merchant, farmer, and stock raiser, P. O. Edna was born in Parke County, Ind., October 13, 1850, and removed with his people who settled in Hancock, County in Ill., where he remained in connection with farming till 1870, when he came here and engaged at farming and stock raising, with which he has been identified since. In 1882, he engaged in general merchandising here and has carried it on since, the firm being known as Wimmer Bros., general merchants. He married in 1877 Miss Clara Tilton, who was born in Cass County, Ind. and moved with her people, who settled here in 1870. He and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Since locating here Mr. Wimmer has worked in all matters tending towards the growth and development of this locality.

[TOC] [part 29] [part 27] [Cutler's History]