|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Morehead is a small station of the Leavenworth, Lawrence & Southern Kansas Railroad; it is situated in the extreme northwest part of the county, about twenty-five miles northwest of Oswego. It has a population of about one hundred, and contains four stores, a hotel and postoffice, with Harmon Sipes, Postmaster.
The first house in the village of Morehead, was built in July, 1873, by J. K. Graves. It was a small one story building, used for business purposes. By the fall of 1878, the settlement had increased to about ten business houses, and in June, 1879, Morehead was surveyed and plated by Mr. J. P. Nichols, who owned the land upon which it was built, several of the buildings having to be moved to conform to the new boundaries; a postoffice was established December 1, 1873, J. K. Graves, Postmaster; January 1, 1876, a postal route was established, from Parsons to Neodesha, via Morehead, C. L. Wyman, contractor. The first resident physician in the place was J. M. Fidler, from Santa Fe, Mo.; the first attorney was John Essex of Plymouth, Ind.; the first ordained preacher was Rev. A. J. Moore of the Methodist Episcopal Church; the first schoolhouse was built in the fall of 1881, and L. E. Swope was the first teacher; the first church organized was that of the United Brethren in May, 1882; the first Notary was Rev. Dr. Makeany; and the first depot agent was J. D. Doan; Miss Mattie Sipes was the first child born in Morehead; and the first marriage was that of Col. B. Longacre of Fort Scott, to Miss Gertie Wyman of Morehead. The town has made steady improvement and land is now held at from $10 to $30 per acre. About two and a half miles northwest of the town are fine veins of coal, and the country immediately around is a fine rolling prairie.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - OSAGE TOWNSHIP.
JACOB H. BEATTY, farmer, in Section 15, Township 31, Range 18, P. O. Dennis. May 22, 1869, he came to Labette County, Kan., and took a claim in Section 22, Osage Township, improved same, and sold out in 1870, and purchased 160 acres, where he now resides, it being well improved. He was born in Centre County, Pa., August 29, 1831, a son of Samuel and Mary A. (Haller). When Jacob was eight years of age, with his parents, moved to Pickaway Co., Ohio, and settled on a farm and remained till 1848, then moved to Montgomery County, Ill., and in 1858 to Macon County, Ill. Jacob commenced life as a farmer. He has been twice married. The first time in 1852 to Miss Elizabeth Frazee, born in 1836, died in 1854, leaving a family of two children - Mary and Cassious. He was married the second time to Miss Mary E. Austin, a native of Macoupin County, Ill., born in 1844. They have a family of eight children - Fremont, Richard, Elsworth, Nora, Alta, Lettie, Annie and Bertie. Mr. Beatty and wife are both members of the N. B. C. During the late war he served in Company B. Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry.
W. W. BLAKE, farmer, Section 15, Township 31, Range 18, P. O. Dennis, came to Labette County, September 1, 1869, and opened a store at what was known as Timber Hill. In the fall of 1871 he sold out and took a claim of 160 acres where he now resides, it now being well improved. Mr. Blake first came to Mapleton, Bourbon Co, Kan. in 1858, and improved a claim. In the fall of 1860 he went to Wisconsin, and when the war broke out, he enlisted April 21, 1861, in Company G. Third Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; served until February 27, 1863, when he was discharged. He was wounded in the face at Antietam. Mr. Blake is a native of Greensboro, Orleans Co., Vt., born October 31, 1836, a son of Henry and Joyse (Freeman) Blake; the father, a native of New Hampshire, and the mother of Vermont. Mr. Blake grew to manhood and was educated in his native place. He married in Kansas, May 29, 1871, Miss Mary E. Raney, a native of Van Buren County, Iowa, born September 3, 1850, a daughter of John and Nancy (Graham) Raney, the father of Martinsburg, Va., and the mother of Ohio. When Mrs. Blake was sixteen years of age, with her parents, she moved to Bourbon County, Kan., where she was married. Mr. and Mrs. Blake have two children - Flora B., and Rolla A. Mrs. Blake is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Blake of the Congregational.
WILLIAM DICK, farmer and stock raiser, came to Labette County, known as the Osage ceded lands, May 9, 1869, took a claim in the northeast quarter, Section 20, Town 31, Range 18 (now in Osage Township) P. O. Dennis; built a cabin and batched until September 18, 1869, then went to Hamilton County, Ind., after his family, and with his family returned to Kansas, October 19, where he has since remained. His farm is nicely improved with good buildings, and devoted to fruit of all kinds, suited to this climate, about fifteen acres. He was born in Millersville, Lancaster Co., Pa., November 1, 1817, is the oldest son of William and Catherine Dick. The father was born in Germany, and when quite a young man came to America in 1810. He married the mother in Lancaster County, Pa., but she was born in Culpepper County, Va.; maiden name, Vondarou. William with his parents and two younger brothers, moved to Wayne County, Ind., in 1834, and the spring of 1837 to Hamilton County, Ind.; there improved a farm. During many years, William devoted much time to freighting between Hamilton County, Ind., and Cincinnati, Ohio. March 25, 1841, he married Miss Gula Elma Beeson, a native of Wayne County, Ind., born August 20, 1820, a daughter of Benjamin and Dorcas (maiden name, Starbuck) Beeson, both of North Carolina. The mother, a distant relative of Benjamin Franklin, settled in Wayne County in 1812. William and his wife settled in the woods in said Hamilton County, opened a small farm and remained there until they came to Kansas. They have a family of eight children living - Leroy F., Delilah E., Temple C., Sarah C., Viena E., Gula E., Lola E., and William O.; having lost Mary D., Elizabeth M., Jacob B., and Louisa E. Both Mr. and Mrs. Dick , are members of the Evangelical Association. He has served one term as Justice of the Peace in the township, and one term as Commissioner from third district of Labette County, and during the land troubles of the said Osage ceded lands with the L. L. & G., the M. K. & T. Railroad Companies. He took a very active part in organizing the Settlers Protective Association; was a member of the Grand Council; also Chief Councilor of the Osage Subordinate Council, and served as Grand Treasurer from beginning to the end of this great law suit.
JAMES DRUMMOND, farmer and gardener, Section 13, Township 31, Range 18, P. O. Parsons, was born near New Market, Canada, October 24, 1838, being a son of John and Catharine Walker Drummond. The father, a native of Ireland, married the mother in Canada, which was her native country. They had a family of twelve children, James being the oldest child. His parents moved from Canada to Central New York State, in the spring of 1849. In 1853 with his parents he moved to Ann Arbor, Mich. In 1858, to Warren County, Ind. During the late war he was color bearer of the Seventy-Second Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Enlisted in 1862 and served until July 6, 1865. His command was part that captured Jefferson Davis. March 4, 1866, he married Miss Sarah St. John, a native of Warren County, Ind., born June 26, 1845, being a daughter of Seth and Ruth Richards St. John. She died July 20, 1881, leaving one child, Marietta G., having lost Chas, W., Liewellyn and Walter. Mr. D. married a second time, Miss Alice Stuck, a native of Indiana, born September 14, 1858, and by this union has one child, Ira G. Mr. D. came to Labette County, Kan., March 11, 1870, and located his present farm, consisting of 160 acres of finely improved land.
WILLIAM JOHNS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 7, Township 32, Range 18, P. O. Cherryvale, was born near Cuba, Clinton Co., Ohio, in 1834. Is a son of J. M. and Anna (Brown) Johns, his father being a native of Virgina and his mother of Ohio. William moved with his parents, in 1840, to Clinton county, Mo., where he lived until 1850, when he moved to Madison County, Iowa. He was raised on a farm and marrried, in Iowa, Miss Catharine Lougabaugh, a native of Ohio, and when eighteen years of age with her parents she moved to Iowa. She is the daughter of Samuel and Martha Lougabaugh, natives of Germany. Mr. Johns' family consists of three children: John, Martha and Matilda. November 24, 1859, Mr. Johns and family settled in Farnklin County, Kan., and lived there until 1862, and then returned to Iowa and lived until 1863. Again went to Franklin County, Kan., and improved a farm of 160 acres, and February 15, 1869, took a claim in Labette County, and moved his family there the following March. He now has a fine farm of 400 acres, well improved, 200 acres under cultivation. When he came to Kansas he had but one team, they being oxen, and was in debt some $30.
WILLIAM McCRUM, farmer, Section 14 Township 31, Range 17, P. O. Morehead. Came to Labette County, Kan., December 28, 1870, with his wife and three children, and took a claim of 160 acres, which is now a fine, improved farm. When he came here he had a team and very little money, and for many years experienced the trials and troubles of a frontier life. He was born August 14, 1842, in De Kalb County, Ind. A son of James and Mary A. (Cughan) McCrum, natives of Ireland. When about twenty years of age they went to Canada, where they married. They lived in Columbus, Ohio, and various other places, and settled in Indiana about 1840, where they both died. William enlisted July 12, 1862, in Company D. Seventy-fourth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until June 22, 1865. He was in the battles of Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Atlanta and many others. He was wounded in the hip at Jonesboro, Ga. At the close of the war, returned to Indiana and turned his attention to farming. In 1867 he married Miss Nancy McClish, a native of Steuben County, Ind., born September 1, 1844. They have a family of four children; Rosa E., Mary L., Minnie B. and William W.
J. T. McKEE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 24, Township 31, Range 17, P. O. Dennis, came to the State and took a claim in Lincoln Township, Neosho County, October, 1870. Improved 160 acres. Some time later sold out and settled where he now resides, on a farm of 160 acres of fine improved land. He is a native of Sullivan County, Ind., born August 31, 1842. He grew up on a farm and received a good education. When the late war broke out he enlisted in Company E. Forty-Third Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served three years. He was taken prisoner at Mark's Mill and confined some ten months at Tyler, Tex. When twenty-four years of age he married Miss Mary Ridgeway. She is a native of and was raised in Sullivan County, Ind., born September 10, 1842. They have the following family; Emory L., Emma L., Gracie V., Arthur H. A., J. C., Anna Gertrude, and Winfred. Both Mr. and Mrs. McKee are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. B. POWELL, farmer, Section 25, Township 31, Range 18, P. O. Cherryvale. His farm consists of 160 acres of fine land, well improved. He was raised in Spencer County, Ind., born September, 1825, a son of William and Sophia Black, the father, of Georgia, and the mother, of South Carolina. During the late war Mr. P. was a member of Company F. Fifty-third Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served some seven months, being discharged for disability, and is still in poor health. When at the age of nineteen years, he married Mary J. Tucker, born in Indiana, May, 1825. They have a family of five children - Alfred, J. W., G. M., Morning, wife of Morgan Carter,; and Emma. They have lost four children. Mr. P. is a member of the Masonic order. In 1875 he moved to Hopkins County, Tex., and remained some four years, then came to Kansas, and purchased his present farm. When he came there his property consisted of two teams, wagons and $7 in money. In two years time he paid for his farm. He has now improved the same with good buildings. Mr. and Mrs. P. are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOHN W. ROBINSON, farmer and stock dealer, Section 9, Township 32, Range 18, P. O. Cherryvale, is a native of Champaign County, Ohio, born March 23, 1836. His parents were of Pennsylvania. When John was three years of age, with his parents he moved to Peoria County, Ill., where he grew to manhood. He has devoted some sixteen years to freignting on the plains. In 1862 he went to Portland, Oregon, and remained until 1866, then took a claim in Neosho County, Kan., where he remained two years. May 20, 1870, took a claim of 160 acres where he now resides, now owning a fine farm of 400 acres with good buildings. He married, in Oregon, in 1866, Miss Anna E. Roberson, a native of Tennessee, born December 25, 1845, and with her parents moved to Oregon. Mr. and Mrs. R. have a family of two children - William and Albert.
M. E. SPARKS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 14, Township 31, Range 17, P. O. Morehead, came to Labette County and took a claim of 160 acres, May 14, 1869, which he has now finely improved with good buildings, orchard, etc. He is a native of LaFayette County, Mo., near Chappel Hill, May 2, 1848, a son of John C. and Sarah M. (Cobb) Sparks. The father was born in Surry County, N. C., and when about twenty-one years of age went to Indiana and remained some six years thence to Lafayette County, Mo. The mother is a native of Knox County, Tenn. and when quite small, with her parents moved to Missouri. She died July 16, 1882. The father is now a resident of Johnson County, Mo. During the late war M. E. served in Company C. Thirtieth Missouri State Militia. When twenty-one years of age, he commenced for himself as a farmer and traded for cattle, December 23, 1871, he married Miss H. A. Brooks, a native of Kankakee, Ill. who was born September 11, 1856, a daughter of Charles and Margaret Smith Brooks. The father is a native of Indiana and the mother of Illinois. Mrs. Sparks when nine years of age moved with her parents to Indiana and lived some six years, then moved to Crawford County, and afterward to Montgomery County, Kan., where she married. They have a family of three children - Lolah M., Bertha L. and Gracie E. Have lost Freddy. Both Mr. and Mrs. Sparks are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Sparks commenced life a poor man, and when he came to Kansas had only $35 and a colt, and at that time the Osage Indians were roaming over the country.
HON. J. B. SWART, farmer and stockgrower, Section 35, Township 31, Range 17, P. O. Cherryvale. November, 1869, he located at Sherman City, Kan., and in January, 1870, took a claim where he now resides. His farm consists of 480 acres of fine improved land with good buildings, orchard and small fruit complete. He was born in LaGrange County, Ind., November 4, 1840, a son of William and Julia A. Maxwell Swart. The father was born and raised in Loudoun County, Va., and is of Holland descent. He married the mother in Muskingum County, Ohio, which was his native county, and in 1834 moved to LaGrange County, Ind., living there forty-six years. Both of them came to Kansas in 1880 to reside with J. B. The father died January 23, 1881. He was born June 29, 1801; the mother is still living. She was born February 20, 1809. J. B. is the third child, and when eighteen years of age he enlisted in Company I, Forty-eighth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was in the battles of Vicksburg, Corinth, Mission Ridge, Atlanta and with Sherman to the sea, then to Washington, D. C. and was mustered out at Indianapolis, Ind. He then attended college for some time and then turned his attention to farming. November 7, 1867, he married Miss Mary S. Hoff, a native of Ohio, born in 1846, a daughter of Abraham and Susan Hoff. The father is of Maryland the mother of Ohio. They settled in Indiana in 1852. Mr. and Mrs. Swart have a family of three children - Nellie F., Minnie M., and Anna Mabel. Mr. S. has always been a stanch Republican. In 1880 he was elected a member of the Legislature from Labette County by a majority of 480 votes.
THOMAS TODD, attorney at law and farmer, Section 1, Township 32, Range 32, P. O. Cherryvale. His farm consists of eighty acres well improved. He first settled in Bourbon County, Kan. in March, 1867, devoted his time to teaching and practicing law. In the spring of 1875 settled where he now resides. He was born in Cumberland County, North England, in 1841, a son of John and Elizabeth (Holladay) Todd, natives of England. Thomas when fifteen years of age, with his parents came to America and located at Massillon, Ohio. He completed his education at Cambridge, Ohio, and read law under Colonel Barnes, Ex-Secretary of the State of Ohio. In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, Seventy-sixth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Colonel Wood. He served some twenty-one months in the Army of the Cumberland, was in the battles of Fort Donelson, Vicksburgh, Memphis, Corinth, Helena and Napoleon, and was taken prisoner at Arkansas Post, paroled and never exchanged; mustered out. He returned to Cambridge, Ohio, and superintended an extensive coal mine. During the years of 1857 and 1858 he resided at Lexington, Mo. February 9, 1866, he married Miss L. A. Slay, a native of Belmont County, Ohio, born 1847, a daughter of E. G. and Ellenor (Barnett) Slay, native of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. T. have a family of seven children, as follows - Henry E., Leile E., Maude E., Thomas F., Ellen E., Albert S. and Robert. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. T. has served many terms as Township Treasurer and Justice of the Peace.
FRANCIS M. WEBB, farmer and stock dealer, in Section 22, Township 31, Range 18, P. O. Dennis, located where he now resides, May 12, 1868, now having a fine improved farm of 240 acres. He is a native of Fountain county, Ind., born February 7, 1841, a son of Harrison and Carlinda (Reddin). The father of Ohio, and the mother of Kentucky. Francis M., when six years of age, with his parents moved to Carroll County, Ind., where he grew to manhood, and was educated. In the spring of 1861, he enlisted in Captain Fry's Light Artillery, and served some six weeks, then enlisted in Company A. Forty-first Regiment Indiana Volunteer Cavalry, being in the battles of Shilo, Corinth, Perrysville, Ky., Stone River, Siege of Knoxville, and Atlanta. Discharge, 1864. He married, in Carroll County, Ind., January 22, 1866, to Miss Sarah J. Metzgar, a native of Henry County, Ind., born February 22, 1847; a daughter of Andrew and Sarah J. Metzgar, both of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Webb have a family of two children - Anna M., and Curtis F. Mrs. W. is a member of U. B. C. Mr. W., a Sir Knight.
WILLIAM H. WEBB, farmer and stock raiser in Section 16, Township 31, Range 18, P. O. Dennis, came to Labette County, May 12, 1868, and took a claim of 160 acres. He is a native of Indiana, born September 25, 1847, a son of Harrison and Carlinda (Reddin). William grew to manhood in his native State, and during the late war was a member of the Sixtieth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was married in Bourbon County, Kan., in 1872, to Miss Lenicet Stith, native of Illinois, a daughter of Jourdin and Sarah Stith, who settled in Kansas in 1859. Mr. and Mrs. Webb have a family of six children - M. B., Emma F., Ella B., F. M., Gracie, Joseph C. Mr. W. is a member of the Parsons Lodge, I. O. O. F.