KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


LABETTE COUNTY, Part 29

[TOC] [part 30] [part 28] [Cutler's History]

HACKBERRY TOWNSHIP.

WALTER G. BAYLOR, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Todd County, Ky., Nov. 18, 1817, was reared and educated there until 1832, from whence he emigrated to Mississippi, completing his education in the Clinton College, Hinds County, after, engaging in farming in Bolivar County, Miss., where he served as County Treasurer for a time, and also as member of the Board of Police. Here he acquired the reputation of an amateur hunter, slaying in his leisure hours great numbers of bear, deer and other smaller game, not unfrequently making hair breadth escapes from flood, and being lost for days and nights in almost interminable swamps and cane-brakes, subsisting on acorns, or nothing. Thence he removed to the Bay of Biloxi and engaged in making brick to build the Custom House in New Orleans. The establishment being burned, he emigrated to Texas in 1852 following the occupation of farmer and stock raiser for several years. Here he married Miss Harvenia Dodd, of Kentucky, and returned to that State, where he remained as a tiller of the soil until 1873, at which time he came to this State, still pursuing his life-long occupation. Mr. Baylor located upon his present place, which was then a raw prairie, and has improved it to its present fine condition. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, well watered, fenced and stocked, with good dwellings, stables and barns, and a handsome orchard, also has a choice lot of forest trees of various kinds. His family consists of a wife, two sons and two daughters; James W., contractor and bridge builder; Walter New, farmer; Mary J. and George Ann. Mr. Baylor is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Since locating there he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. He has served on the School Board of his district as an active official for several years.

ARTHUR BATY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Cecil, was born in Middlesex County, Canada, April 4, 1822, and was identified with his present industry there until 1871, when he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, Greenside Farm, which he has handsomely improved. It contains 200 acres of valuable land, well fenced, watered and stocked, has handsome dwellings, barns, stable, and an orchard of four acres of well assorted fruits. He was married in 1850 to Miss Elizabeth Whillams, who was born in Scotland and reared and educated in Canada. They have a family of one son and four daughters living, Margaret, now Mrs. R. J. Sellars, whose biography appears in this work; Agnes J., Thomas E., Jennie and Minnie. He and his wife have been active members of the Presbyterian Church for many years. He has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality since locating here.

ALEXANDER BISHOP, owner of Walnut Grove Farm, P. O. Oswego, was born in Logan County, Ohio, January 4, 1832, and was reared and educated to the mechanic's business there. At the age of twenty-three, he located in Alamakee County, Iowa, and carried on farming there for a few years, after which he engaged in carpentering and joining, until 1869, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a state of nature to its present handsome condition. He married September 24, 1855, in Union County, Ohio, Miss Almira Elliott, who was born in Stark County, and reared and educated in Logan County, Ohio. They have a family of two sons and five daughters; Florence, now Mrs. J. W. Illingworth; Angelia, teacher and graduate of the State Normal School of Emporia, Kas; William S., Vetura, Ulysses S., May and Maud. He and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he has been a member of the Masonic order for the last twenty years. He is the present Trustee of his township, and has filled other local offices. Walnut Grove Farm contains in all 270 acres, of which 160 constitute the original farm, 150 of which are under grain tillage, the balance is devoted to pasture, meadow and horticulture. He has handsome dwellings, barns, and five acres in orchard of nicely assorted fruit trees and thirty acres of forest trees, among which are a handsome grove adjoining the residence, which gives to it the name of Walnut Grove Farm.

JOHN BROWN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Wayne County, Ind., December 7, 1831, and was identified with his present industry there till 1868, when he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, and has improved it to its present condition. It contains 160 acres of land, is well fenced, has dwellings and stables, and an orchard of 300 trees of well assorted fruits. He married, in 1857, Miss Mary E. Wharton, who was born in Ohio and brought up in Indiana. Their family living are - Isabella, Rosa E., now Mrs. Thos. Pearson; Wm. Beecher, Maggie, Vida, Elisha and Robert. His wife is an active member of the Missionary Baptist Church. He has served as Clerk of the Township, and has been active in other official positions since locating here.

WILLIAM BUCKLEY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, May 2, 1833. At the age of four years he removed with his people, who settled in Carroll County, Ind., where he grew to manhood and was identified with farming till 1882, when he came here and engaged at his present industry. He married, in 1866, Miss Sarah J. Barr, who was born and reared in White County, Ind. They have four sons and one daughter - Edwin, John, Ralph, Nellie and Ray. During the war he enlisted his services in Company A, Second Indiana Volunteer Cavalry, September, 1861, and did active service till September, 1862, when he was honorably discharged on account of disabilities, and pensioned. He is a member of Pea Ridge Post No. 118, G. A. R. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, has handsome dwellings, barns and stables, a well assorted variety of fruit trees, and a goodly number of forest trees.

HIRAM BUTTERWORTH, owner of Seven Oaks Farm, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Pawtucket, Mass., Oct. 17, 1822. At the age of fourteen he went to Logan County, Ill. where he grew to manhood and identified himself with the farming industry. He afterwards located in Kane County, Ill., and carried on stock dealing for a time, and afterwards engaged there in farming and stock rearing until 1852, when he went to Webster County, Iowa, and engaged in merchandising and dealing in real estate extensively, meantime identifying himself with public contracting and building, and many other industries of that then growing locality. At the breaking out of the war, he retired from his business there and located in Aurora, Ill., where he carried on carriage and wagon manufacturing for a few years, after which he located in Leavenworth, Kansas, and carried on an active business for several years, dealing in wagons and carriages, principally in the interest of the vast freighting business of that locality then. He subsequently came to Chetopa, and after carrying on an active business in merchandising and stock dealing for a few years, he located upon his present place, which he has improved. He married, in 1858, in Webster County, Iowa, Miss Sarepta Tucker, who was born and raised in Chautauqua County, N. Y. They have a family of two daughters - Helen P., now Mrs. J. J. Flannelly, merchant of Chetopa, and Alice M., teacher. His wife is an active member of the Presbyterian Church. "Seven Oaks Farm" is pleasantly located upon Hackberry Creek, eight miles northwest of Chetopa, and six miles south and west of Oswego. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, has handsome dwellings and outbuildings, and an orchard of ten acres of a nicely assorted variety of fruit trees. It is well fenced, watered and stocked, in which latter industry Mr. B. is paying considerable attention to the rearing of fine bred horses, hogs and Durham cattle. Adjacent to the dwelling, and in connection with many other forest trees, are seven majestic oaks, which give the farm its title.

LEWIS F. BUVINGER, owner of Floral Hill Farm, P. O. Cecil, was born in Hanover, Pa., June 24, 1827, and was brought up in Dayton, Ohio, to the boot and shoe making and merchandising business, his father having been identified with that industry there. He continued in that connection in Ohio, with the exception of four years spent in London, Ohio, in tannery business, and latterly in wholesaling until 1879, when he retired and came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he improved. He married, in 1852, Miss Juno Minerva Slagle, who was born in Ross County, Ohio, and reared and educated in London, Ohio. They have a family of four sons and one daughter living - Elsurah, now Mrs. Jacob Slagle, farmer and stock raiser of Ross County, Ohio; Alvin, Howard, Walter D., Clarence B. and Arthur F. He and his wife have been active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for the past twenty-five years. He has been a member of the I. O. O. F. society since 1848. Floral Hill farm contains 160 acres of valuable land, is well fenced, watered and stocked, has nice dwelling, barns and stable, and an orchard of 500 trees of nicely assorted fruits, together with a handsome lot of vines and shrubbery, the whole comprising eight acres to horticulture and gardening and floriculture, which latter gives his farm the very appropriate name of Floral Hill.

GEORGE W. BYRD, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Wayne County, Ind., January 25, 1835, and was reared there to his present business, with which he was connected till 1868, when he came here and located, and has carried on his present industry actively here since. He married, in 1860, Mrs. Amelia Mickey, formerly Burns, of his native place. They have two sons and three daughters - Alford Mickey, teacher and farmer, and Edwin, Adelaide, Florence and Julia Byrd. He is present treasurer of his school district, and has filled other school and township offices. His farm contains 160 acres of valuable land, has good buildings and an orchard of four acres of well assorted fruits; it is well fenced, and has a good supply of water.

JEROME CALLAHAN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Kane County, Ill., Aug, 27, 1842, and was reared in Alamakee County, Iowa, where he was identified with farming until 1863, when he enlisted his services in defense of the Union in Company A. Thirty-eighth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was honorably discharged. In 1867, he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a wild prairie to its present handsome condition. It contains 200 acres of valuable land 120 of which are devoted to grain, and the balance to pasture, meadow, and horticulture. He has nice buildings and orchard of nicely selected fruits. Mr. C. has served for several years as a member of the School Board of his district, and has worked actively in other official positions.

J. H. CELLARS, farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Chetopa, was born in Marshall County, Ind., December 22, 1847, and was reared and educated there. In 1867 he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has handsomely improved. It contains 160 acres of valuable land: is well fenced and watered and stocked; and has nice dwellings and outbuildings, and an orchard of a well assorted variety of fruits.

R. J. CELLARS, farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Chetopa, was born in Marshall County, Ind., January 22, 1850. In 1867, he came to Kansas and located here, and has been successfully connected with his present industry here since. He married in 1875 Miss Margaret Baty, who was born and reared in Ontario, Canada. They have one little girl - Margaret. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. He has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here. His farm contains 200 acres of valuable land; is well fenced and watered and stocked; has nice buildings, and an orchard of four acres of fruit trees of, nicely assorted variety.

WILLIAM CLARK, farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Chetopa, was born in Knox County, Tenn., February 4, 1815, and was reared and educated there. At the age of twenty-three he went to Kentucky and spent two years in that State, after which he located in Gibson County, Ind., and carried on his present industry there till 1871, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a raw prairie, to its present handsome condition. It contains 160 acres of good land, of which 140 acres is devoted to grain tillage. It is well fenced and watered and stocked; has nice dwellings and outbuildings, and an orchard of four acres of a well assorted variety of fruits. He married in 1837, in Tennessee, Miss Susan Clark, of Tennessee. They have four sons and six daughters - Thomas W., William H., George L., Andrew J., Martha, now Mrs. Alonzo Witherow, of Texas; Nancy, now Mrs. David Hironimus, of Indiana; Mary, now Mrs. John E. Wells, of Indiana; Adeline, now Mrs. John Hironimus, of Indiana; Susan, now Mrs. William Hiatt, and Lizzie, now Mrs. John Johnson, of Kansas. He and his wife have been active members of the Baptist Church for twenty years. His war services were in 1836, in connection with the Indian trouble in Florida, when he did one year's active and honorable service. Since locating here he has worked actively in developing the social and industrial life of this locality.

D. F. CREAKBAUM, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Ross County, Ohio, March 15, 1855, and was reared in Kosciusko County, Ind. At the age of eighteen he came here with his people, and has been actively engaged at his present industry since. He married in 1881, Miss Maggie Berry, who was born in Illinois and reared in Kansas. They have one daughter - Ida Siloam Jane. He is a member of the Dunkard Church. His farm contains eighty acres of valuable land; is well fenced and watered; has good buildings and an orchard of four acres of well assorted fruits. His father, William, was a native of Pennsylvania, and followed farming in Ohio and Indiana, and latterly locating here, where he died in 1877. He is buried in Hackberry Cemetery. His mother and one son and four daughters, make up the balance of the family living. His brother is William, Jr. Sisters are Hanna, now Mrs. George Mollenhour, whose family sketch appears; Sarah, now Mrs. Allison; Tina, now Mrs. Kibler, and Mary, now Mrs. Barter, all living in this county.

CHARLES YAGER DAVIS farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Beaver County, Pa., October 26, 1847, and removed with his people in 1857, who settled in Guernsey County, Ohio, where, after seven years, they settled in Illinois. In 1869, he came to Kansas, and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a raw prairie, to its present condition. It contains 160 acres of choice land; is well fenced, watered and stocked; handsome dwellings, stables and an orchard of 200 trees of nicely assorted fruits. He married in 1872, Miss Lou Ella Keeler, who was born and reared in Pine Bluff, Ark. They have one son and a daughter - Beatrice and Harry. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church. In 1877 Mr. Davis went to Colorado and was identified in that State in mining operations for two years. He still owns a considerable interest there.

NATHAN W. DORLAND, owner of Maple Vale Farm, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Lycoming County, Pa., October 22, 1821, and learned the business of carpenter and joiner, which he carried on there until 1846, when he located in La Porte County, Ind., and carried on that business there for twenty-six years. During the last five years he also carried on farming. In 1872 he came to Kansas, and in the following spring located upon his present place, where he has been identified with farming and stock raising since. He married in 1853, Miss Mary McCormick, who was born and reared in his native place. They have a family of three sons and five daughters - Eda J., Jessie F., now Mrs. Niram Phillips; John, Martha, now Mrs. George Decow; Flora, Rose, Seth and Schuyler Colfax. He did active service during the war as Special Agent for the Provost Marshal, for the Ninth Congressional District of Indiana. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. Maple Vale farm contains 120 acres of valuable land, surrounded and cross-fenced with handsome hedge, the largest fields containing not more than twenty acres. It is well watered. Has handsome dwelling, barns and stable, and an orchard of four acres of well selected fruit, and a nice assortment of forest trees. In stock raising, Mr. Dorland makes a specialty of fine bred Berkshire and Magie hogs.

DANIEL WILLIAM EGGERS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Fulton County, Ill., January 10, 1833. At the age of nineteen he went to Iowa and spent two years in that State. He then located in Texas, and followed milling in Dallas county for eight years, after which he engaged in farming in Parker County. In March, 1862, he enlisted in the army in Witt's Company, Texas Cavalry, and in August it was re-organized, Witt resigning; he continued in the service until the war ended. After the close of the war he went to Colorado and carried on gardening and horticulture for a few years. He returned to Texas, and subsequently came here in 1870, and has actively carried on his present business since. He was married in Dallas County, Texas, July 16, 1859, to Miss Margaret Ellen Witt, who was born in Greene County, Ill., and reared in Texas. They have buried six children, and have adopted one - Ruth McLaren. He and his wife are active members of the Baptist Church. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. society, and has been connected with the Masonic Order for the past twenty-eight years. His farm contains 257 acres of choice land, is well fenced, watered and stocked, and has nice buildings, and orchard of two and a half acres of assorted fruits, and has three acres of handsome forest trees.

JACOB STANLEY FOLAND, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Dayton, Ohio, April 10, 1845, and removed with his people to Wayne County, Ind., where he was reared and educated. In 1869, he came to Kansas and located on his present place, which he has improved from raw prairie. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, 100 of which are devoted to grain; the balance is in pasture, horticulture, etc. It is well fenced and watered, having upon it nice living springs and a well of splendid sulphur water. It has good buildings, and an orchard of three acres of nicely assorted fruits. He married in Wayne County, Ind., Miss Mary Brown, of that county. They have a family of one son and a daughter - Clara Maud and Lewis. His wife is a member of the New Light Church. During the war he served as a member of Company H. One Hundred and Fortieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, from September, 1864, until the end of the war, and was honorably discharged. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality.

AMASA FOX, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Wayne County, Mich., September 30, 1828, and was reared there to farming business. In 1854 he located in Kane County, Ill., and carried on farming four years. He then settled in Ottawa County, Mich., and after four years' farming there returned to Kane County, Ill., and carried on farming till 1869, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved. It contains 160 acres of land, has dwellings and stables, and an orchard of different varieties of fruits. He married in 1852, in Elgin, Ill., Miss Martha E. Rumsey, who was born in Delaware County and reared in Steuben County, New York State. They have four sons and two daughters - Charles Edward, Daniel Webster, Ernest Elsworth, Lue A., Frances Ina (now Mrs. George A. Cory), and Effie Katie (now Mrs. Siegul Lindsay). Mrs. Fox is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here.

CAPTAIN M. B. FUGATE, owner of Pleasant Hill farm, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Scott County, Va., February 25, 1839, and was prominently identified with farming and stock raising there till the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted his sympathies with the cause of the South, and assisted in organizing Company E. Sixty-fourth Virginia Cavalry, and was elected First Lieutenant, in which capacity he served till the battle of Cedar Creek, after which he was appointed to the Captaincy of his company, and served in that capacity till the end of the war. After the war he returned to farming, and carried it on till 1872, when he came to Kansas, and in the following year he located upon his present place, which he has improved. He married in 1861, Miss Nannie Horn, of Virginia. They have a family of one son and four daughters living - Nicholas H., Floy L., Maggie E., Aimmata V. and Dolly. His wife is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. "Pleasant Hill Farm" contains 320 acres of valuable land under a thorough state of improvement, is well fenced and watered, and has nice young orchard of well assorted trees. Handsome dwelling and outbuildings are located upon an eminence commanding a pleasant view of the farm as well as that of the surrounding country, giving it the very appropriate title of "Pleasant Hill Farm."

JAMES L. GOLDSMITH, owner of Cedarvale Farm, P. O. Cecil, was born near Dover, N. H., February 8, 1841, and received a good literary education at the high school of Dover, and afterward learned the shoemaking business. At the age of eighteen he left his home, and was identified with his trade in Ohio and Indiana, until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted at the first call for troops in Company K. Fifteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and did active service for three years. He then re-enlisted in Company G. Thirty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he engaged in farming and stock raising in Saline County, Mo., and after three years of successful business there he located in Carroll County, Mo., and carried it on there actively until 1876, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has almost entirely improved. He married April 16, 1866, Miss Lucinda Barr, who was born and reared in Carroll County, Ind. They have one son - John. Mr. G. has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here. He is a member of Pea Ridge Post, No. 118 G. A. R. Presbyterian Church. Cedarvale farm is pleasantly located within two and a half miles of the Nation, and a half mile distant from Cecil postoffice. It contains 210 acres of valuable land, is well fenced, watered and stocked and has handsome dwelling, barns, stables and an orchard of nicely assorted fruits. He has also a handsome variety of forest trees, variegating the view, among which are walnut, maples, poplars, catalpas and cedars, the last of which are so handsomely laid out as to give it the very appropriate title of Cedarvale farm.

W. E. HANIGAN, owner of Oak Grove Farm, P. O. Crouse, was born in Lawrence City, Mass., April 6, 1845. At the age of twelve years he located with his people in Terre Haute, Ind., where he was brought up as a farmer. In June, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Twenty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and did active service until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged. Was wounded at the battle of Missionary Ridge, Tenn., and Peach Tree Creek, Ga. Has applied for pension. In 1869 he came to Kansas, and located on his present place, which he has improved. It contains 120 acres of valuable land, is well fenced, watered and stocked, in which latter industry he is paying some considerable attention to the rearing and breeding of fine-bred cattle, horses and hogs. The farm contains good buildings, and an orchard of ten acres of well assorted fruits. He married in 1861, Miss Martha Jane McCree, of Indiana, who departed this life in 1877, and is buried at the Williams Cemetery, Fairview Township, leaving four sons living - John E., Franklin, Clinton and Albert. He married in 1878, Miss Nina Stem, who was born in Wayne County, Ohio, and reared in Indiana. They have one son - Leslie. He and wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has served as Trustee of this township, and has been active in other municipal and school offices.

TURNER HAYDEN, owner of "Willowdale Farm," P. O. Chetopa, was born in Fayette County, Ky., January 25, 1831; was identified with farming there till 1855, when he went to Illinois and settled in Macon County, and carried on farming there for several years. In 1875 he went to California, and after spending several months in traveling in that State and Oregon and Nevada, he returned and located here, and has been actively identified with farming and stock rearing here since. He married in 1863, Miss Anna Shepherd, who was born and reared in Fayette County, Ohio. They have three sons and three daughters - Lorenzo, Mary Alice, Gertrude, Mabel, O'Meara and Franklin. His wife is an active member of the Baptist Church. "Willowdale Farm," is located in the southern part of Hackberry Township, upon the "Nation" line, and consists of 160 acres of valuable land, well fenced and watered, and stocked with a good grade of cattle and hogs; has nice dwelling and out-buildings, and an orchard of three acres, of a nicely assorted variety of fruit trees. Upon the north of the residence is four acres of a handsome willow grove, from which the farm gets its very appropriate name.

GEORGE HELLWIG, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Oswego, was born in Germany, in 1860, and came to America with his people, who settled in Ohio, in 1871, and after four years they came to Kansas, and located here, when he grew to manhood and identified himself with his present business. He married, in 1881, Miss Arisa Zigler, who was born and reared in Indiana. They have one daughter - Cora. Are members of the Lutheran Church. His farm contains 120 acres of valuable land, 100 acres of which are devoted to grain, with balance to pasture and meadow. It has nice dwellings and out-buildings, and an orchard of three acres, of a nicely assorted variety of fruit trees. His father, Bartlett Hellwig, died in 1880, and was buried in Hackberry Cemetery, leaving a family of three sons - John, George and Christ.

OSCAR C. KETCHUM, owner of Lake Creek Fruit Farm, P.O. Chetopa, was born in Dutchess County, N.Y., May 29, 1832,and was reared and educated there. At the age of fifteen he entered the Marine Service, in the coasting trade, and afterward engaged in whaling explorations, during which he spent about three years in the service, visiting all important points in that connection in the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, and Arctic Oceans, and sailed some in the Southern seas, his last season in the Marine service being spent upon the chain of lakes bordering the north of this country, from which he retired eventually, and settled in Mount Pleasant, Henry Co., Iowa, where he was actively identified with farming, stock raising and horticulture, until 1869, when he came to Kansas, and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a state of nature to its present handsome condition. Lake Creek farm is pleasantly located upon the Coffeyville road, seven miles from Chetopa, sixteen from Oswego and within a mile of Cecil P.O. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, eighty acres of which are devoted to grain and the balance to horticulture. Has 7,000 trees of a nicely assorted variety of fruits, all in full bearing; 300 vines of a well assorted variety, and a good number of small trees, he having carried on a nursery business here for ten years. The farm is handsomely fenced and hedged. On it is a pleasant dwelling, barns, stables, and all are tastefully and conveniently arranged; also, building and machinery for the curing and preserving of fruits, cider presses, etc., etc. He also does considerable business in the line of rearing and breeding fine stock, principal among which are his Short-horn Durham cattle. He married February 20, 1862, in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, Miss Maria Briar, a native of Ohio. They have one daughter - Anna. He has always worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here.

GEORGE W. LEAP, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Wayne County, Ind., February 24, 1838, and was reared and educated in Jefferson County, Ind., and was identified with his present industry there till 1867, when he came here and located upon his present place, and has improved it from a state of nature to its present condition. It contains 240 acres of valuable land, is well fenced, has an abundance of water, and is well stocked, he paying some considerable attention to stock raising. It has nice dwellings and barns and stables, and four acres of an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits; has, also, about four hundred forest trees of different varieties. He married in 1868, Miss Matilda Quinby, of LaPorte County, Ind. They have five sons and one daughter - Arthur, Ernist, Walter E., Charles Frederick, Sarah Alice, and an infant. His wife is a member of the Church of Friends. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. society. He is present Treasurer of his Township, and has filled other municipal and school official positions for several years.

WILLIAM W. LEWELLEN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Fayette County, Pa., January 27, 1834, and located with his people, in 1849, in Adams County, Ohio. He was identified in Ohio with practical engineering till the war, when he enlisted July 9, 1861, in the Fourth Independent Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and did active service till July 20, 1863, when he was honorably discharged, on account of disabilities. Has applied for pension. After this, his disabilities impaired his health so that he was compelled to abandon his profession, and he engaged at contracting, latterly at farming, till in 1873 he came here and located, and has carried on his present industry here since. He married, in 1864, Miss Mary M. Carson, of Adams County, Ohio, who departed this life in 1873, and is buried in Winchester Cemetery, Ohio, leaving one son - John M. In 1874 he married Miss Mary M. Foley, who was born in Highland County, Ohio, and reared in Indiana, and they have four sons and one daughter - Laura Etta, Charles C., Alfred T., William H. and George W. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. He is a member of Pea Ridge Post, No. 118 G. A. R. His farm contains 100 acres of improved land, has good buildings, and an orchard of three acres of well assorted fruits.

DE WITT CLINTON McCLELLAND, farmer and stockraiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Pittsburg, Pa., October 9, 1840; at the age of about nine years, he removed with his people, who settled in Livingston County, Ill., where he was identified with his present industry until 1876, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has almost entirely improved. His farm contains 320 acres of valuable land, 180 of which are devoted to grain, the balance to horticulture and pasturage. It is well fenced and watered, and has handsome dwelling and outbuildings, and an orchard of seven acres of nicely assorted fruits. He married in 1868, Miss Margaret A. Blake, who was born and reared in Marietta, Ohio. They have one daughter, Myrtle May. He and his wife belong to the First Presbyterian Church. During the war he did active service, his first enlistment being in Company B. Eleventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in April, 1861, and served actively until July following, when he was honorably discharged. In August of that year he enlisted again in Company F. Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry and pensioned. He was wounded at the battle of Corinth, Miss., and after laying disabled for about five months, he again entered the Gunboat service. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality.

SAMUEL McCULLOUGH, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Wayne County, Ind, April 1, 1827, and was identified there with farming, until 1852, when he went to California, and spent ten years in that State. After this he spent four years in mining operations in the territories of Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, returning to Indiana in 1866; he engaged at his present industry there till 1873, when he went to Texas with the view of locating, but soon after came here, and located upon his present place, which he has improved. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, 105 of which are devoted to grain, the balance to pasture and horticulture; it is well fenced and watered and stocked, has nice dwelling and outbuildings, etc., and an orchard of four acres of nicely assorted fruits. He married in Missouri, in 1873, Miss Sarah Spear, who was born in Indiana, and reared and educated in Missouri. They have one daughter, Pearl. He and his wife are active members of the Baptist Church. He has been an active member of the Masonic order for several years. Has served upon the School Board of his District for several years.

GEORGE W. MILLIGAN, owner of Cedar Grove farm, P. O. Oswego, was born in Warren County, Ky., November 27, 1824, and was identified with farming and stock raising in that place until 1870, when he came to Kansas, and located upon his present place which he has improved. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, and it is well fenced, watered and stocked. Has good buildings, and an orchard of five acres of well assorted fruits. He has paid considerable attention to the rearing of fine bred Durham cattle, and Clydesdale Norman horses. He was married in 1851 to Miss Mary J. Smith, of Kentucky. They have two sons - Jefferson Porter and Ewing Brook. He and his wife are members of the U. P. Church, and he has been a member of the Masonic order for the past fifteen years.

D. M. MILLER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Sandusky County, Ohio, September 6, 1845, and removed with his people, who settled in Fulton County, Ind., 1850, and where he was actively identified with his present industry until 1881, when he came here and located, and has been connected with his present business here since. He married, January 26, 1868, Miss Catharine Buehler, who was born in Ohio, and reared in Fulton County, Ind. They have four sons and two daughters living - Marion Monroe, Lewis Albert, Joseph Frederick, Mary, Milo Erwin, and Rosa Emma, and have buried their oldest child, Sarah Clarinda, in the German Cemetery, Fulton County, Ind. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. society. His farm contains 120 acres of good land, all under grain, it is well fenced and watered, has good buildings, and an orchard of ten acres of nicely assorted fruits.

MRS. MARY ANN OLIVER, formerly Kirton, owner of "Oakdale Farm." P. O. Chetopa, was born in Rougton, England, September 28, 1820, and was reared and educated there; and was married to David Oliver, in her native city. He was born in England, February 12, 1819. In 1850 they came to America, and settled in Fayette County, Iowa. Engaged in farming; after six years they removed to Mower County, Minn., and remained actively identified with farming there until 1867, when they came to Kansas, located upon the present place which they have improved from a wild prairie, to its present handsome condition. "Oakdale Farm" contains 160 acres of valuable land, sixty acres of which are devoted to grain., ten acres in orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruit trees, the balance is to pasture and meadow. It is well fenced and watered, and has handsome dwelling and outbuildings. On October 19, 1875, Mr. Oliver passed away this life, and is buried in Hackberry Cemetery. His children living, are George H., Charles A., Henry K., Lottie, now Mrs. John C. Romine; Lizzie L., now Mrs. James B. Johnston; those dead are, William K., who left two daughters, Inez Gertrude and Etta Evaline; Anna, who married Joseph Peck, leaving one daughter, Mary Lavilla, both buried beside their father.

ALBERT OLMSTED, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Cecil, was born in Michigan, June 5, 1836, and was reared in McHenry County, Ills., to farming business. In 1866 he came to Kansas, and located upon 280 acres in Sections 2, 3, 10 and 11, Richland Township, and improved it from a state of nature. It is well fenced and watered, has good buildings, and an orchard of 600 well-assorted fruit trees. He remained upon this farm till 1883, when he bought his present farm of 160 acres, thus aggregating his land to 440 acres. His present place is handsomely improved, containing dwelling, etc., and an orchard of nicely assorted fruit trees, also has a grove of forest trees. He married, in 1858, in Davis County, Mo., Miss Adelia Buck, who was born and reared in Steuben County, N. Y. They have one son Charles, he has served upon the school board of his district, and has taken an active part in the development of the many industries of his locality since coming to the State.

JESSE PICKERING, owner of "Youth's Beauty," stock and grain farm, P. O. Cecil, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, September 5, 1834, and removed with his people to Henry County, Ind., in 1835, and was reared and educated in Wayne County. At the age of eighteen he began life in farming in Henry County, but subsequently located in Madison County, Ind., where he was identified with farming and stock raising till 1881, when he came to Kansas and located here, and has very considerably improved his present farm. He married, in 1856, Miss Mary Stanley, of Henry County, Ind., a lady of very able literary attainments. They have a family of two sons and seven daughters - Viola, now Mrs. Jacob Yearling; Rosella, now Mrs. Oscar Wylie; Luther, Cora, May, Lizzie, Josie, Orlando and Minnie. He has been an active member of the Masonic order for the last twenty-one years, and of the I. O. O. F. society for nineteen years. Youth's Beauty stock and grain farm is pleasantly located, seven miles west of Chetopa, and two miles from Cecil P. O. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, principally devoted to grain tillage; it is surrounded with handsome hedge and cross fence, has excellent water supply, and is stocked with a good class of hogs, horses and cattle, an orchard of 700 trees of nicely assorted fruits located adjacent to the residence lot. In the residence lot are handsome dwelling and outbuildings, preceded, as you enter from the road, with a handsomely laid out variety of forest trees, prominent among which are the pines, cedars, catalpas, etc., giving to the farm the very appropriate title of "Youth's Beauty."

JAMES W. POTTENGER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Crouse, was born in La Porte County, Ind., December 23, 1849, and was reared there to his present industry. At the age of sixteen he enlisted his services in Company I. One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and did active service till April, 1866, when he was honorably discharged. He followed farming in his native place till 1870, when he came to Kansas and located here, and has been actively identified with his present industry here since. He married, in 1869. Miss Martha McConnell of Indiana. They have three sons and one daughter - Ira, Charles, Mary and Earl. His wife is a member of the Christian Church. He is a member of the G. A. R. His farm contains eighty acres of valuable land, is well fenced and watered and stocked. He is paying considerable attention to rearing milch cows for dairy purposes, for which industry he has built a dairy from which he is making already a considerable quantity of butter. Good dwelling and outbuildings are located upon the farm and an orchard of about 300 trees of a nicely assorted variety of fruits.

W. S. SANFORD, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Cecil, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, July 8, 1842, and was educated in a literary course of instruction at the Farmers' College, also graduate of Bacon's Commercial College of that city. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company G. Fourth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and did active service until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. he assisted in the capture of the rebel president. After the war he was engaged in grain and commission, and was member of Board of Trade in his native city, and afterward opened a grain and commission warehouse at Chillicothe, Ohio, with both of which he was actively identified until 1869, when he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has improved. He married, in 1866, Miss Fannie J. Donogh, of Fairfield, Ind., a lady of fine literary attainments and a graduated of Oxford Female Academy, of Oxford, Ohio. They have a family of three daughters and one son - Edith, Ida, Maggie and Benjamin. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church. He has served on the School Board of his district for several years, and has been active in other local official positions. His farm contains 160 acres of valuable land, is well fenced, watered and stocked, in which latter industry he pays considerable attention to rearing and breeding fine-bred cattle, mules and hogs. He has good buildings and an orchard of fifteen acres of nicely assorted fruits.

ALBERT E. WALTON, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., December 30, 1814, and removed with his people to Ohio at the age of fourteen, and was connected with business there until 1841, when he went to Sheboygan County, Wis., and carried on farming there for several years, after which he carried on farming in Ionia County, Mich., for about nine years. He then spent six years in farming in Henry County, Iowa, and in 1866 he located in Randolph County, Mo., where he farmed until 1873. He then came to Kansas and located here, and has been actively identified with his present industry here since. He married, in 1851, Miss Agnes Walker, of Stark County, Ohio. They have three sons - Henry, George and Daniel. His wife is an active member of the Baptist Church. His farm contains 160 acres of land, has good buildings, and an orchard of a variety of fruit trees.

JOSEPH J. WATSON, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born near Manchester, England, February 12, 1840, and came to America with his people in 1842, who, after a short stay in the East, settled in Milwaukee, Wis., where he grew to manhood, and identified himself with farming until the spring of 1864, when he enlisted in Company G. Second Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry, and did active service until November, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he located in Iowa and followed carpentering in that State until 1869, principally in Allamakee County, In the spring of that year he came here and located, and has been actively identified with his present industry here, improving two farms meanwhile, and is now located upon his third. It contains 320 acres of valuable land, 160 acres of which are devoted to grain, and the balance to pasture. It is well fenced, watered and stocked, and has good buildings. He has about eighty acres of forest skirting the stream which runs through his farm. He was married, in 1868, in Postville, Iowa, to Miss Martha Blundell, who was born in Manchester, England, and was brought up in Wisconsin. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church. He is a member of Pea Ridge Post, No. 118, G. A. R. He has been a member of the Masonic Order for the past sixteen years.

SAMUEL M. WATT, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Oswego, was born in Vermillion County, Ind., August 30, 1838, and was reared and educated in Edgar County, Ill. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company E. Seventy-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service until the battle of Chickamauga, Ga., August 18, 1863. He was wounded and taken prisoner, and after nine days was exchanged. He remained in the hospital until December 13, 1864, when he was honorably discharged and pensioned. In 1868 he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a raw prairie to its present condition. It contains 174 acres of valuable land, has handsome outbuildings and dwelling, and an orchard of well assorted fruits. He married, in 1866, in Vermillion County, Ill., Miss Nancy E. McNutt, who was born in Jefferson, Ind., and was reared and educated in Illinois. They have a family of two sons and three daughters - Hattie M., Ida J., Frank, Jesse and Ray. He is a member of the G. A. R., has served upon the School Board of his district for several years, and has been active in other local official positions.

JOSHUA T. WELLS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Clarke County, Ind., August 9, 1847. In 1869 he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a raw prairie to its present condition. It contains 160 acres of good land, is well fenced, watered and stocked, has good buildings and an orchard of a nicely assorted variety of fruits. He married, February 6, 1883, Miss Kate Foley, who was born in Ohio and reared in Fayette County, Ind. He has a family of one son, George A. Wells, by a former marriage. In 1877 he went to Colorado, and was identified in that State till the present year, when he returned and married and has established himself on his farm again.

SIDNEY L. WHITING, owner of "Sunnyside" farm, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., March 24, 1833, and was reared and educated in Washtenaw County, Mich. At the age of twenty-one he located in Kankakee County, Ill., and carried on farming there till 1873, when he came here and located, and has been very actively identified with his present industry here since. He married, in LaPorte County, Ind., in 1856, Miss Mary Foster, who was born in his native State and reared and educated in LaPorte County, Ind. They have five sons and one daughter - Frank, Charlie, Fred, Sherman, Russell and Jennie. He and his wife have been active members of the M. E. Church for over twenty-five years. During the war he did service in Company F, Eighty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, from August, 1862, till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged and pensioned for wounds received at the battle of Missionary Ridge. He is present Justice of the Peace for this township, and has filled other municipal and school offices. Sunnyside farm contains 160 acres of choice land, has nice dwellings and outbuildings, and an orchard of five acres of well assorted fruit trees, and ten acres of forest trees.

[TOC] [part 30] [part 28] [Cutler's History]