|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - RICHLAND TOWNSHIP (DANFORTH - JUDD).BENJAMIN FRANKLIN DANFORTH, grain dealer, was born in Rensselaer County, N. Y., February 18, 1843; lived there twelve years, then two months in Geneseo, Henry Co., Ill; two years near Morrison, Whiteside Co., Ill., and afterward near Waucousta, Fond du Lac Co., Wis., seven years and near Strawberry Point, Clayton Co., Iowa, two years removing from the latter State to Missouri, living at Louisiana, in that State, most of the time until he came to Osage Mission, Kan., Nov. 29, 1870, where he was engaged in the business of carpenter and builder until 1879, when he began dealing in grain, continuing in that trade until the present time; located at Chetopa, October 25, 1880. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and K. of H. He was married at Louisiana, Mo., June 9, 1867, to Mary Frances Baker, a native of Kentucky. They have four children - Eugene Gustave, Gordon Carl, Edson Motton and an infant son.
DR. M. H. DERSHAM, druggist, is a native of White Deer Township, Union Co., Pa., born October 5, 1827. In 1859 he removed to Elmore, Ohio, residing there till 1862, when he located at Chatsworth, Ill., and came to Chetopa in June, 1868. He received his literary education in his native place, and at Milton Academy in Northumberland County, Pa., and Dickinson College at Carlisle, Pa. He attended lectures at the Pennsylvania Medical College, and graduated from Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio. Began practice at Hartleton, Union Co., Pa., afterwards at Lewisburg, Pa., Elmore, Ohio, Chatsworth, Ill., continuing in practice at Chetopa for two or three years, since then giving his attention to drug, book and stationery business, having built a store on Maple street, between Third and Fourth streets, where he carried on business from September, 1868, till the spring of 1881, when he moved to his present location, having purchased the property prior to that time. He was married at Bellevue, Ohio, in March, 1863, to Rebecca Orwig, a native of Union County, Pa. They have five children - Herbert John, Lillian May, Cora Belle, Jennie and Lulu. Mr. Dirsham is a Unitarian, and holds the modern Spiritual philosophy to be true.
J. P. DEJARNETTE, is a native of Grant County, Ky.; born June 4, 1838; located in Champaign County, Ill., in 1865, remaining there about two years, then removed to Sedalia, Mo., where he was foreman of a saddlery establishment until he came to Chetopa, April 25, 1871. Since locating here he has been extensively engaged in saddlery and hide, wool and fur trade. Since 1872, his brother, W. H. DeJarnette, has been associated with him as a partner, at Parsons and Oswego. They have hide and wool houses at Chetopa; they have a large saddle and harness manufactory in addition to hide, wool and fur business. Hide business amounts to $24,000 per annum; wool, $10,000; saddlery, $8,000. Mr. DeJ. is a member of A., F. & A. M., and A. O. U. W. He is Treasurer of the Board of Education, having held that position for the last eight years. He was married in Grant County, Ky., in 1870, to Fannie Kendall, a native of that county. She died January 27, 1878, leaving one child, Josephus William. Mr. DeJarnette was married, April 8, 1979[sic], to his present wife, L. Virgaren Liggett, a native of Union County, Ohio. They have two children - Heber H. and Jesse Perrin.
EUGENE P. DRESSER, merchant, was born at Litchfield, Hillsdale Co., Mich., June 16, 1851; removing from there to Hillsdale, Mich., where he clerked for a number of years; removing from there to Galena, Kas., May, 1877; resided there until March, 1882, when he located at Columbus, Kas., coming from the latter place to Chetopa, March 1, 1883. He has been extensively engaged in the mercantile business since he came to Kansas, and has one of the largest and best selected stocks of dry-goods, clothing, boots and shoes in this part of the State. He is a member of the K. of P. Mr. Dresser was married January 1, 1880, at Lafayette, Ind., to Belle S. Erisman, a native of that place. They have two children - Lillie Eugenia and an infant son.
GEORGE EDDINGTON, confectioner, ice dealer, etc., is a native of England, born August 9, 1843; reared in Madison County, Ill., from 1849 to manhood. In 1865 he removed from there to Missouri, remaining there till the fall of 1869, when he came to Chetopa, to take charge of the stage line business of Parker & Tisdale, at this point, superintending their interests here until 1875. He has served as City Marshal, Constable, etc., and is now serving his third year as City Treasurer. He, for a time, was in the employ of the Adams Express Company. Since 1877 he has been carrying on the business in which he is now engaged. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
B. S. EDWARDS, Anchor Flouring Mills, is a native of Newark, Kendall Co., Ill., born October 9, 1846. From a very early age until he was twelve years of age, he was reared in the cities of Niles, Mich., Chicago, Ill., and Laporte, Ind., afterward was in Iowa. He attended the Denmark Academy, in Lee County, Iowa, for three years. August 1, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, First Iowa Cavalry. He was in all the engagements of his command, serving until February, 1866, being Hospital Steward at that time, and serving in that position about a year prior to the time he was mustered out of the service. After leaving the army he returned to Burlington, Iowa, and attended the Commercial College there, and for a few months was connected with the B. & M. R. R. survey. He then entered the express service, being with the American and United States express companies, at Burlington and Ottumwa until January, 1869. He then took charge of the books of Dalhoff & McArthur, wholesale merchants of Burlington. Six months later resigning his position in their establishment to take the management of extensive coal mines in Wapello County, Iowa. January 1, 1870, he entered the employ of L. H. Dalhoff & Co., at Burlington, and remained with them until he came to Chetopa, in October, 1872, since which time he has been in his present business, having a fine mill doing merchant business exclusively. Present capacity of the mill being from 100 to 125 barrels of flour per day - twenty-four hours. His father-in-law, Mr. Hunter, is associated with him as a partner. They give employment to nine men, and the sales of flour since 1875, have been in Texas and the Indian Territory. Mr. Edwards is a member of the K. of P. and G. A. R. He has served as Alderman of the city. He was married at Ottumwa, Iowa, November 11, 1869, to Mary L. Hunter, a native of Burlington, Iowa.
EDMUND H. FAGEN, farmer and stock raiser, and dealer in live stock, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, June 9, 1825. In 1840 he located with his people in Parke County, Ind., and was actively identified there with his present industry until 1866, when he came to Kansas and located in Douglas County, where he remained three years identified with his present industry. He then came here, and has very successfully carried it on since. He married, in 1848, Miss Mary Ray, who was born in Ohio, and reared in Parke County, Ind. They have two sons and one daughter - James, in the hotel business in Chicago; Sarah, now Mrs. William Cartwright, farmer and stock raiser of this township; and Andrew, in the live stock business. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. society. He has worked actively in the developmenty[sic] of the social and industrial life of this locality since coming here. His farm residence contains eighty acres of improved land, and has a nice dwelling, stables, and orchard of assorted fruits. He also controls 600 acres in the "Nation," which is well fenced, watered and stocked. He does an annual business in cattle of about 400 head, and also deals considerably in horses. He is now paying attention to the introduction and rearing of fine cattle, paying more especial attention to the Short-horn Durhams.
J. B. FINLEY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, October 5, 1834, and located with his people in Laporte County, Ind., when he was but three years old. At the age of twenty-one he removed with his people in Knox County, Ill., where he remained for five years. He then went to Blackhawk County, Iowa, and carried on farming for six years; then, after spending one year in Linn County, Mo., he came here June 20, 1868, and located upon his present place, which he has improved. It contains 160 acres of choice land, is well fenced, watered, and has a nice dwelling, barns, stables, and an orchard of five acres of assorted fruits. In 1861 he married Miss Mary A. Taylor, who was born and reared in Broome County, N. Y. They have six sons and five daughters - Orrin H., Mary A., Katie A., Henry A., Lottie J., Nettie B., Arthur L., Laura G., Bertie P., Charlie F., Walter W. He is an active member of the K. of H. society. He has served on the School Board of his district for several years, and has been active in assisting in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here.
J. J. FLANNELLY, merchant, is a native of County Mayo, Ireland, born in 1845; came to America when fifteen years of age, located in the city of New York, where he spent three years, thoroughly learning the dry goods business in that city. He removed from there to Cincinnati, being actively identified with the mercantile business there until 1870, when he removed to Newport, Ky., being engaged in the same business there till April, 1880, when he came to Chetopa. He has an extensive business at this point, and jobs good to some extent. He carries a large and elegant stock of dry goods, clothing, hats, caps, boots, shoes, etc. He does a cash business exclusively, and sales amount to about $40,000 per annum. He was first married at Cincinnati, Ohio, May 6, 1856, to Johanna M. Doyle. She died in July, 1873, leaving four children - Mary Josephine, Thomas James, Blanche Margaret, and Cora. Mr. F. was married at Chetopa, January 25, 1883, to his present wife, Nellie P. Butterworth, a native of Iowa, and a daughter of Gen. Hiram Butterworth, now a resident of Seven Oaks, Hackberry Township, Labette Co., Kan.
J. A. FRY, manager of R. L. Sharp's Chetopa lumber yards, was born in Hannibal, Mo., July 26, 1883. He became connected with the lumber business when he was twenty-one years of age, and has continued in that department of business since that time, except during a period of four years, serving in county positions at Hannibal. He was Coroner two years, Deputy Sheriff, ex-officio Sheriff two years; also served three years as Alderman of the city of Hannibal. He came to Oswego, Kan., April 9, 1879. After carrying on the lumber business there for two years, he took charge of the yards which he now manages. Mr. Fry was married at Hannibal, Mo., December 31, 1862, to Margaret Susan McKey, a native of Monroe County, Mo. She died June 19, 1871, leaving three children - John W., Susan Belle, and Maggie May. Mr. Fry is a member of the Presbyterian Church, A. O. U. W., being a charter member of the latter lodge at Oswego.
EDWARD C. GORDON, owner of "Rosehill Farm," P. O. Chetopa, was born in Merrimac County, N. H., May 12, 1822, and was reared and educated there. At the age of twenty-two he went to Ohio, where he spent about four years, near Mansfield, in teaching school. Returning to his native place he spent two years in the milling business, and afterwards spent one year at Menasha, Wis., in connection with that industry. He then located in Kosciusko County, Ind., and was actively identified in that State with mill building and operating mills, till 1869, when he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a raw prairie to its present handsome condition. "Rosehill Farm" contains 160 acres of choice land lying three miles northwest of Chetopa; twenty-five acres of it are devoted to grain, forty acres to pasture, forty acres to meadow; fifty acres are occupied with a fine assortment of fruits, in which are about 3,000 nicely selected varieties of apple trees, all bearing, 900 pear, 350 cherry, and 150 peach trees, besides a good assortment, in smaller numbers, of plums, gages, etc., etc.; twelve acres are occupied with a nice assortment of grape vines, one acre of blackberries, and one-half acre of strawberries; five acres are occupied with buildings, consisting of dwellings, barns, stables, and mills and presses for the "putting up" of the extensive fruit business of the farm. Mr. Gordon married, in 1838, Miss Rebecca Mullehour, who was born in Ohio and reared in Indiana. They have a family of five sons and one daughter - Arthur, Willis, Harriet (now Mrs. John McCaw), Alpheus, Oscar, and Charlie.
JOHN S. HETRICK, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Franklin County, Pa., January 3, 1835. Was reared and educated in Dayton, Ohio. At the age of eighteen he located at Brookville, Ind., and was identified with his present industry in that State until 1879, when he came here and engaged in his present business. He married, in 1865, in Franklin County, Ind., Miss Hannah J. Sites, who was born and reared in Miltonville, Ohio. They have a family of one son and one daughter - Sarah Elizabeth and Arthur M. He and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He did active service in Company B. Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, from April, 1861, until July of the same year, when he was honorably discharged, at expiration of term of service. In September of the same year he again enlisted in Company G. Thirty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and continued in active service until September, 1864, when he was wounded at the siege of Atlanta, just at the expiration of service. He was honorably discharged and pensioned. He is a member of Pea Ridge Post, No. 118, G. A. R. is present Clerk of the School Board of his district, and has been active in the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here. His farm contains 154 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, has good dwellings, barns and stables, and an orchard of three acres of nicely assorted fruit. He is paying considerable attention to rearing and breeding fine bred cattle and hogs.
ISRAEL D. HIGHLEYMAN, dealer in live stock and coal mining, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, January 26, 1848. He received his rudimentary education in the public schools of Bellaire, and his literary education at Mount Union College, Ohio. At the age of twenty he completed a course of commercial study at Iron City College, of Pittsburg, Pa., graduating from that institution in 1868. He then applied himself to the practice of his profession, and subsequently engaged in merchandising in Bellaire (his native city) and continued actively in it till 1876, when he closed his interests there and accepted a position as Claim adjuster in connection with the M. K. & T. Railway, and was identified with that business in Missouri, at Sedalia, and latterly in the Indian Territory, at Muscogee, till in the fall of 1879. In the spring of the following year he located here, and has been actively identified with his present business here since. He married, in 1873, in Roane County, W. Va., Miss Lucy V. Baker, of that county. They have a family of one son and one daughter - Samuel D. and Lucy Gertrude. His wife is an active member of the Presbyterian Church. He has been for many years an active member of the United Ancient Order of Druids. He is present incumbent of the Deputy U. S. Marshalship for this district.
MICHAEL HILLEGASS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Allen County, Ind., August 6, 1844. In 1855 he removed with his people, who settled in Henry County, Mo., where he was reared and educated, and identified himself with farming, with which industry he was actively connected there till 1867, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a raw prairie to its present condition. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, a short distance from Chetopa, is well fenced and watered and stocked, has good buildings, and an orchard of five acres of nicely assorted fruits. He married, in Calloway County, Mo., in 1865, Miss Elizabeth Fisher, who was born and reared in Henry County Mo., and who departed this life in 1877, and is buried in the cemetery, Chetopa, leaving a family of three sons living - George, Robert and Daniel. Mr. Hillegass has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality since coming here. He is an active member of the Vigilance Committee of his township. He has served upon the School Board of his district for several years, and is its present Director.
WILLIAM G. HOOVER, of the firm of Hoover Bros. (William G. and Martin V. Hoover), farmers and stock raisers, P. O. Chetopa. William G. Hoover, County Commissioner of Labette County, was born in Logan County, Ohio, December 10, 1836, and removed with his people, who settled in Fayette County, Iowa, in 1847, where after five years the family located in Tarrant County, Tex. Upon arriving at manhood, Mr. Hoover identified himself with the stock raising and farming business, and has very successfully carried it on in that State since, doing an annual business now in stock of about $65,000. In 1868, he came to Kansas and located in this county, where he has carried on his present industry since. His residence contains eighty-five acres, within one mile and a half of Chetopa. It is handsomely improved, containing an orchard of 600 trees of assorted fruits, nice dwelling, barns and stable, and is well fenced, watered and stocked. He has, besides, ten other farms in this (Chetopa) county, the whole aggregating over 1,700 acres, all in a good state of improvement. He married, in 1869, Miss Sopha N. Donaldson, who was born in East Tennessee and reared in Southern Illinois. They have a family of one son and three daughters - Cora May, Florra Elizabeth, Maudie S. and George M. He and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. society. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the public and social life of his locality. He has served his township as Trustee, and has been active in other municipal positions besides his present incumbency as Commissioner.
FELIX GRUNDY HUNT, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Guilford County, N. C., September 10, 1823, and was reared there to the farming industry. At the age of twenty-six he left his native place, and after spending three years in Virginia, and about the same time in Indiana, he came to Kansas, in 1856, and eventually located at Emporia, engaged in the practice of law, and carried on farming and stock raising. In 1863 he was appointed Assistant U. S. Assessor for the Fifth Division of Kansas, which incumbency he reputably held for eight years. In the meantime has filled the offices of Register of Deeds of his county for two years; Attorney for the county for two years, and Clerk of the District Court for six years, which incumbency he held until 1874. In 1875, he disposed of his interests there and came here, and has been reputably identified with his present industry since. He married, in 1865, in Henry County, Ind., Miss Rebecca J. Cartwright, a lady of fine literary attainments, a native of Henry County. They have a family of six sons and one daughter - Alphonso L., Oliver W., Theodore P., Lawrence, Maud, Jay Guy and Claud. He has been an active member of the Masonic order for the past twenty years. Since locating here he has taken an active part in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality.
JOSHUA HURT, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Garrard County, Ky., in 1820. Was reared to his present industry, with which he was identified in his native State till, at the age of forty he located in McLean County, Ill., and followed it there till 1874, when he came to Kansas and located here, and has carried on his present industry since. He married, in 1862, Miss Libbie Wright, of his native place, who departed this life in 1865, and is buried in Kentucky. In 1868 he married Miss Sally Wright, sister of his first wife. They have one daughter - Fannie. He and his family are members of the Christian Church. His farm contains 160 acres of valuable land, is well fenced and watered, and has handsome dwellings, barns, etc., and an orchard of 350 trees.
DR. H. A. IRWIN, dentist, is a native of New Concord, Muskingum Co., Ohio, born October 2, 1847. In 1867 he began the study of dentistry at Zanesville, Ohio, and has given his attention to his chosen profession most of the time since. In September, 1871, he located at Chetopa. After eight years' practice here he was located at Oswego for one year, then returned to Chetopa, being engaged in the grain business eighteen months after his return; since then in the practice of dentistry. He is a member of A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge and Chapter. He was married in this city November 22, 1873, to Mary Torrance, a native of New Jersey. They have one child, Harry L.
GEORGE B. JEFFRIES, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Fayette County, Ohio, January 23, 1829, and was identified there with farming and brickmaking. In 1854 he went to Missouri, and was connected there with farming till 1867, when he came to Kansas and located here, and has improved his present place from a state of nature. It contains 155 acres of good land, has good buildings and an orchard of five acres of a nicely assorted variety of fruits. He married in 1875, Miss Arminta Christian, who was born and reared in Polk County, Mo. They have one son, James I., and he has a son with him by a former marriage, Lewis Emanuel. He has also three other children by that marriage in Missouri - Eliza, Jeptha and Owiga. He and his wife are members of the Protestant, Methodist Church. He did service in the Ninth Missouri Mounted Infantry, Company E. State militia during the war, and was honorably discharged.
WILLIAM JUDD, farmer, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Clinton County, Ind., in 1841. His parents moved from Ohio to Indiana in 1830. Both parents are deceased. Mr. Judd was brought up on a farm, and received a common school education. On September 18, 1861, he enlisted in Company A. Second Indiana Cavalry. He was in the Army of the Cumberland, under Gen. Rosecrans, and was at Chickamauga, Shiloh, Franklin, and with Wilson on the long raid through Mississippi and Georgia, and at the close of the war was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn. In the fall of 1867 he emigrated to Kansas, and settled in Labette County, six miles southeast of Oswego, where he took up a claim of 160 acres. Mr. Judd is an old settler of the county. He was married in 1871, to Louisa Hayes, of Richland, Labette Co. They have two children - Jennie and Johnny.