|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - RICHLAND TOWNSHIP (ALEXANDER - CRICHTON).
WILLIAM ALEXANDER tonsorial artist and dealer in livestock, was born in Randolph County, Ind., in 1837. His mother, formerly Rosana Hawk, was born in Georgia. She lived several years in Alabama on the Cherokee reservation, when her father Charles Hawk, with his family, moved north to Ohio. Mr. Alexander's father, John Alexander, was a native of Virginia and also of Indian descent. William Alexander was left upon his own resources when quite young by the death of his mother, who was his main support, and at about the age of thirteen he went to Canada, where he spent a year with the Chippewas. He then returned to Indiana and learned the barbers' trade, and at the age of twenty he went to Wisconsin and spent two years in the Fox River country. He then spent a year in Illinois, and afterwards a year in Ohio, after which he located in Knightstown, Ind., where he was reputably identified with his profession for several years. In 1870 he left there and came here and located, where he has successfully carried on his profession since, meantime operating in stock dealing, and has been an active operator in lumber milling in the Nation. He married, in 1864, Miss Mary E. Brown, of North Carolina, and of the descent of the Cherokees of that State. They have a family of two sons and one daughter, Thaddeus Guerney, George Willie and Nellie. He and his family are members of the Presbyterian church. He has been an active member of the Masonic order for the last twenty-three years; has also been a member of the Odd Fellows' society for eight years, and is a member of the A. O. U. W. society. He has also filled important official positions in the city, also in his church. His residence, which he built in 1874, is an imposing two-story frame structure (built upon the plan of Gothic architecture) is very nicely surrounded with handsome shrubbery, elegantly arranged; has graveled walks conveniently disposed, and altogether making a very fitting testimonial of his thrift and industry since locating in Chetopa.
JOHN M. BANNAN, architectural engineer and builder, was born in Van Buren, Hancock Co., Ohio, September 21, 1840, and in 1844 his parents moved to Three Rivers, St. Joseph Co. Mich., and resided part of the time on a farm near that place, and a part of the time in the village, where his father worked at his trade, blacksmithing, until 1855, when his parents disposed of their farm and moved overland to Glenwood, Mills Co., Iowa, the son having charge of a team on the trip, and on reaching his destination engaged in farming in the summer and attended school during the winter until the spring of 1871. A part of this period of time he was engaged in working at the carpenter's trade. Hid father owned a set of carpenter's tools and the son always was allowed the use of them from the time he could handle them, and by this mode cultivated a taste for and seemed to possess a natural talent for mechanical work. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted in June, 1861, under the first tree years' call, in Company A. Fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and did active service in it for about two and a half years, when he was honorably discharged on January 1, 1864, at Woodville, Ala, by reason of re-enlistment as a veteran, in the same company and regiment, and continued in active service, his regiment being always in the front, until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged as First Sergeant of Company A. Fourth Veteran Volunteer Infantry. He refused a commission as Second Lieutenant because his company was so reduced by war that he could not muster in if he had received the commission. He was wounded slightly three times in his first engagement at Pea Ridge, Ark., and had his gun stock split into innumerable splinters by the bursting of a shell; at the time he was lying on his side and loading, the shell striking the gun immediately over his left foot, thereby saving that useful member to a soldier. He passed all other actions without damage. His first year was spent in Missouri and Arkansas, under Fremont and Curtis, marching through and reaching the Mississippi River at Helena, Ark., July, 1862. When Grant commenced his operations toward Vicksburg, the Fourth Iowa was assigned to the First Division of the Fifteenth Army Corps, Army or Department of Tennessee, and it retained its position till the close of the war. He passed through and was in the charge of Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, the siege of Vicksburg, the battles in and around Jackson, Miss., six hard skirmishes in northern Mississippi and about Tuscumbia, Ala. was in the leading charging columns at the storming of Lookout Mountain, battles of Chattanooga, the Atlanta campaign, Sherman's march to the sea, and through the Carolinas. After the war he engaged in the art of photography for two years in Three Rivers, Mich.; finally quit that and went to work one year at the cabinet trade under a strict teacher, then rented and engaged in farming until 1869, when he came to Fort Scott, Kan., worked at the cabinet trade one year, when he located here, where he has been actively identified with his present industry since. He was married in 1871, at Three Rivers, Mich., to Miss M. Arabel Moore, who was born and reared near Danville, Pa. They have a family of three daughters, Edith, Mabel and an infant. His wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In religion he is opposed to all the orthodox creeds or dogmas, but believes in pure Christianity as exemplified by the golden rule. He is a close student of governments; politically, first Abolitionist now Greenbacker. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and K. of L. societies. He has served as Justice of the Peace, member of the Board of Education for this city, and filled other local offices. Testimonials of his handicraft are in the handsome school building of this city, which he has superintended the erection of as well as large grain elevators, business houses, Opera House and several elegant residence buildings in this city and other cities in this State and Colorado, which he designed and erected.
E. D. BATES, of the firm of White & Bates, wholesale and retail grocers, was born at Troy, N. Y., May 30, 1856. He lived at Poughkeepsie from the age of seven years until he was thirteen years old then to his native city again until he came to Chetopa, Kan., in August, 1877. He was in the employ of his brother Geo. H. Bates until his death, which occurred in February, 1883. A few weeks after the present firm of White & Bates was formed. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. He was married in Troy, N. Y., July 20, 1881, to Mary A. Venning, a native of Albany, N. Y., but reared from childhood in Troy, N. Y.
E. W. BEDELL, wholesale and retail hardware merchant, was born at La Fargeville, Jefferson Co., N. Y., September 11, 1844. In 1863, he removed to Syracuse, N. Y. After remaining there about eighteen months, he settled in Chicago, and became connected with one of the leading wholesale grocery houses of that city, first as shipping clerk and afterward as traveling salesman, continuing in that business until he came to Chetopa, in February, 1871. He was engaged in grocery and provision trade, there until 1876, then engaged in his present business, also having extensive real estate interest here and in this vicinity, his brother, L. M. Bedell, being joint owner of farms and other property; besides doing a large hardware business, he deals in farm machinery, wagons, carriages, etc. He has been prominently identified with the interests of Chetopa, serving as Councilman and member of the Board of Education of this city. Mr. Bedell is a member of the A., F. & A. M., K. of P. and A. O. U. W. He was married at Watertown, Jefferson Co., N. Y., in January, 1872, to Mary E. Bushnell, a native of Herkimer County, N. Y. They have three children - Bessie M., Mary C, and Jerome E.
L. M. BEDELL, wholesale and retail grocer and manufacturer of furniture, being one of the proprietors of the Chetopa Furniture Factory and Lumber Yard. He is also the owner of considerable real estate, including farms, etc. He is a native of Ogdensburg, N. Y., born January 8, 1841, lived there a few years, afterwards in Jefferson County, N. Y., until August 1861, when he enlisted in the Thirty-fifth New York Volunteer Infantry, serving as musician until January, 1863. After spending a short time in New York State he located in Chicago (February, 1873) where he was connected with the well known firm of Burley & Tyrrell, wholesale dealers in queensware. Continuing with them several years, his health failing, he came to Chetopa, Kan., May 1, 1871, engaging in mercantile business here, continuing in trade since that time, being one of the most enterprising business men in Southern Kansas. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and G. A. R. He has served as Mayor and Alderman of this city, and is now (1883) a member of the Board of Education. He was married at Centreville, Ohio, in December 1866, to Lydia S. Ward, a native of Ohio. They have five children, Marion J., Susan M., Harry W., Edgar L. and Ellen G. The firm of Brown & Bedell, proprietors of the Chetopa Furniture Factory, employ eighteen hands, manufacturing furniture for the trade exclusively. They also manufacture sash, doors, blinds, etc., also cut a great deal of lumber from native timber.
WILLIAM BENTLEY, carpenter, contractor and builder, is a native of Medford, Mass., born January 8, 1826. He lived in Milwaukee from 1843 to 1855, then at Faribault, Minn., until April, 1857, then came to Kansas locating at Fort Scott, where he resided three years and then went to Colorado. He enlisted September 9, 1862, in company H, Second Colorado Calvary, remaining in the army until June 19, 1865. After leaving the service he located at Kansas City, remaining there until July 11, 1869, when he came to Chetopa. He has been for many years an extensive builder, having learned his trade in Milwaukee. It is estimated that at least a third of the residences and business buildings have been built under his supervision. The present season Mr. Bentley states that there are fifteen residences and ten business blocks in process of construction or immediately to the commenced in this city. Mr. B. has served as City Marshal and Constable. he is a member of the Knights of Labor. He was married at St. Joseph, Mo., in 1868, to Melinda Underwood, a native of Illinois. They have an adopted daughter, Lizzie - now Mrs. Marcy, of Fort Scott, Kan.
GEORGE D. BOON, M. D., was born near Fredericksburg, Holmes Co., Ohio, April 15, 1845. From the age of three months until he was eighteen years old he lived in Birmingham, Van Buren Co., Iowa. He enlisted October 3, 1863, in the Fourth Iowa Independent Battery, and served until July 14, 1865, when he was mustered out. After leaving the army he entered Monmouth college at Monmouth, Ill., and was a student there for one year, afterward attending commercial college six months. He graduated from the medical department of the University of Michigan, March 30, 1870, began practice at Chetopa April 14, 1870, and has continued in active practice here since that time, doing an extensive business, being considered one of the leading physicians and surgeons of the State. He is a member of the Labette County Medical Society, G. A. R. and A. O. U. W. He has been Alderman one year. The Doctor was married January 3, 1872, to Martha J. Danley, a native of Washington County, Pa. They have four children: William Maroyn Brownlee, George Thomas, Harry Webster and Mattie March.
LORENZO DOW BOVEE, owner of Riverside farm, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., January 17, 1834, and removed with his people to Ohio in 1837, who settled in Ashtabula County, where they remained until 1854, when they settled in Will County, Ill. He then engaged in a course of literary instruction, and after four years of study he graduated from the State Normal School, at Bloomington, Ill. After leaving college he enlisted his services in defense of the Union in Company E, One Hundredth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in August, 1862, and in the following July was honorably discharged for disability. He returned home and engaged in teaching for a year, after which he went to Wisconsin and engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1866, when he came to Kansas and located at Emporia, and in the following year came to this county and located upon his present place in 1868, which he has improved. He was married in 1863 in North New Berlin, Chenango Co., N. Y., to Miss Ellen Goodrich, a lady of fine literary attainments. She was born and reared in Otsego County, N. Y. They have a bright, intelligent family of three sons and two daughters: Floyd D., Fred N., Nellie, Vida and Zone. He is a member of Pea Ridge Post, No. 118, G. A. R. Riverside farm contains 240 acres of valuable land located about one and a half miles north of Chetopa, upon the Labette River. It is well fenced, watered and stocked. It has handsome dwellings and barns and stable, and an orchard of nicely assorted fruits. Located on the farm and on the north side of Labette is a handsome grove of forest trees known as Bovee's Park, a favorite resort of the people of the surrounding country for picnics and similar open air amusements.
JOHN W. BREIDENTHAL, with J. B. Cook, loan and real estate agent, was born in Sibley County, Minn., June 22, 1857 residing there until October, 1868, afterward at Terre Haute, Ind., until he came to Kansas, in November, 1877. After visiting forty-six counties he determined to locate in Labette County, believing that it had superior advantages over the surrounding sections of the State which he visited. In March, 1878, he located in Elm Grove Township, and lived there until January, 1880, when he removed to Chetopa, entering the office of J. B. Cook and continuing in an important position with that gentleman to the present time, 1883. In this connection it is proper to state that Mr. B's attention was first attracted to this county by the perusal of the Settler's Guide, a periodical issued by J. B. Cook, and extensively circulated throughout the Eastern States. Mr. B. is a member of the A. O. U. W. and K. of P., and is also serving as City Clerk. He was married in Chetopa September 26, 1882, to Julia Slaughter, a native of Delavan, Tazewell County, Ill.
EDWARD BREEZE, farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Oswego, was born in Bennington, Vt., March 6, 1823, and was reared there to the farming industry. In 1844 he went to Western New York, and for twelve years was identified with railroading. He afterward spent five years in that industry in Northern Indiana, after which he engaged at his present business, which he actively carried on in the East till 1870, when he came to Kansas, and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a raw prarie to its present condition. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, is well fenced and stocked, his handsome dwellings and barns and stables and an orchard of fifteen acres of nicely assorted fruits, and a nice lot of forest trees. He married, in 1856, Miss Sarah E. Nimon, who was born in Monongaheia County, Pa., and reared in Indiana. They have a family of three sons and three daughters living: Will, Raphael, Almon R., Ned B., Minnie Jane, Nellie and Blanche, and have buried their first two sons (twins), Albert and Alfred, in Rich Valley Cemetery, Wabash County, Ind., and their fourth daughter, Lula, in Pleasant Valley Cemetery here. Mr. Breeze has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here, and has held many municipal and school official positions.
HEZEKIAH BUSICK, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Indiana February 25, 1844, and was reared in that State to his present industry. In 1873 he came to Kansas, and located upon his present place, where he has been actively identified with his present industry since. He married in 1865, Miss Sarah Mollenhour, of Kosciusko County, Indiana. They have two sons, three daughters, Zelma, Artamesia, Rebecca Estella, Margaret Catherine and Leroy. His farm contains eighty acres of good land, is well fenced and stocked, good buildings, and an orchard of eleven acres of a nicely assorted variety of fruits.
ISAAC BUTTERWORTH, owner of Maple Hill farm, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Warren County, Ohio, November 25, 1825, and was reared and educated in LaPorte County, Ind., his people having located there when he was about ten years old. He identified himself with farming and stock raising then, and carried it on actively until 1867, when he came here and subsequently located upon his present place, which he has improved from a state of nature. He married in 1854, September 20, Miss Ellen D. Taylor, a lady of fine literary attainments. She was born in Shelby County, Ky., educated partly in her native place and afterwards in Indiana, her people having removed to that State before she had completed her studies. Mr. and Mrs. Butterworth have one son and a daughter, Charlotte Elizabeth and Cranston W. Mrs. Butterworth is an active member of the United Presbyterian Church and a regular communicant. He is a member of the Church of Friends. He has been a member of the Masonic order for several years. He was a member of the first Board of Commissioners for Labette County, and has filled many other municipal and school offices. Maple Hill Farm is located about three and one-half miles northwest of Chetopa, and consists of 640 acres of valuable land. It is well fenced, has an abundance of water, and is well stocked. Mr. B. handles and deals in about 1,000 head of stock a year. He has eight acres in orchard of nicely assorted fruits. An imposing residence, surrounded by handsome fruit and forest trees, together with nice barns and stables and outbuildings, assist in the general make up of the farm, while upon the hill proper is a beautiful grove of stately maples, diversified with other forest trees, which makes up the title of Maple Hill Farm.
HON. T. J. CALVIN, proprietor of livery stables, was born in South Chenango Township, Crawford Co., Pa., September 30, 1836; resided in his native county until 1864, then removed to Warren County, Ill., and resided near Monmouth till 1866, when he located in Ford County, Ill., residing there until he came to Labette County, Kas., in March, 1870. Engaged in farming near Chetopa until the spring of 1873, when he located in this city, being engaged in real estate and insurance business here for a few years, being also the proprietor of two meat markets from the fall of 1873 to the spring of 1874. For three years and a half he owned and carried on a furniture store. In the fall of 1877, he purchased a farm on the northwest quarter section three, in Hackberry Township, and in the spring of 1878 he moved to the farm. For one year he gave his attention to stock raising and agricultural pursuits; having been elected a member of the Kansas Legislature, he rented his farm. Since the spring of 1879 he has resided in Chetopa; until the fall of 1882 he was engaged in buying and shipping stock from this point. In July, 1882, he purchased a half interest in a livery stable, a month later becoming the sole owner thereof. He keeps a livery, sale and feed stable, having a livery stock of about twenty horses. In 1880 he was elected to serve a second term as member of the Kansas House of Representatives. He is now serving as Justice of the Peace. Mr. Calvin is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, and of the A. O. U. W. He was first married in Mead Township, Crawford Co., Pa., in November, 1863, to Lucinda S. McKnight, a native of that township. She died September 23, 1873, leaving two children, Elizabeth Ann and Frederick L. Mr. C's present wife was Esther J. Wood, a native of Gibson County, Ind. They were married in Richland Township, Labette Co., Kas., November 27, 1874. They have three children, Ralph D., Bertha May, and an infant daughter.
SAMUEL H. CARR, foreman Chetopa Furniture Factory, was born in Centreville, Wayne Co., Ind., June 3, 1822; lived in Shelby County, ind., from 1824 to 1829, then in Henry County, Ind., until he came to Chetopa in July, 1868. He began learning the carpenter's trade when he was seventeen years old, and has worked at house building, carpenter work, and similar vocations since that time, being foreman of the extensive planing mill, furniture, sash, door and blind factory of Brown & Bedell. He was married at Knightstown, Henry Co., Ind., February 9, 1854, to Sarah C. Allison, a native of Connersville, Ind. They have two children, Duncan A. and William J. Mr. Carr is an active member of the Presbyterian Church.
W. T. CARTWRIGHT, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born near Springfield, Ill., October 14, 1836, and received his literary education in the public schools of his birthplace. He then began a course of study at the Commercial College of Springfield, and graduated from that institution in 1857. He then applied himself to merchandising and book-keeping, and was identified with those interests for several years. In 1881, he came to Kansas and located here, and subsequently engaged in his present industry, with which he has been actively identified since. He married, April 30, 1882, Mrs. Sarah Thomas, formerly Fagen, only daughter of E. H. Fagen, whose family biography is embodied in that of the early settlers of this locality. She was born in Rockville, Parke Co., Ind., and was educated and reared there, and located here with her people in 1866. September 25, 1870, she was married to Sylvester K. Thomas, who was born in New York State, and reared in Michigan, and who settled in this State in 1869. Mr. Thomas identified himself with farming and the stock industry here, and successfully carried it on until his death, which occurred August 10, 1878. He is buried in the Chetopa cemetery, aged forty-seven, leaving one son and a daughter, George H. and Ida May. Mr. Cartwright, by his second marriage has four sons. Everett, Asbury, Willie and Wallace, and Mr. and Mrs. Cartwright have one little girl, Edith F. Mrs. Cartwright is a member of the Presbyterian Church, in which she was reared. He is an active member of the Methodist Church, and a leader of that society here.
J. M. CAVANESS, editor and proprietor of the Chetopa Advance, was born in Monrovia, Ind., March 29, 1842. His health during the early years of his life was feeble, unfitting him partially for work either manual or mental. In 1854 the family left Indiana, and after spending some time in Missouri among relatives, came to Lawrence, Kan., on April 20, 1856, just before the sacking of the town. The next spring, they went on a farm in Anderson County, and in the spring of 1859 removed to Baldwin, where the children attended college, from which J. M. graduated in the classical course in June, 1866. Following this he taught for a short time, and was principal of the school at Butler, Mo., also at Paola, Kan. He had picked up the printers' trade at odd times about printing offices, and in the fall of 1868 came to Chetopa with Horner and Carey, and began working upon the Advance. Subsequently, he became business manager of the paper, and on the 1st of June, 1872, took a half interest in the concern with Col. Horner. On the 22d of February, 1875, became sole proprietor, and is now editor and owner. He was married, March 4, 1873, to Miss Isabel Swallow.
JOHN F. CHAMBERLAIN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Bradford County, Pa., October 10, 1833, and learned the trade of carpenter and joiner there. At the age of twenty-two years he left Wyoming College, where he had been pursuing a course of literary instruction, and in company with two college chums he came to Kansas to assist in the troubles in this State. He located in Brownville, and afterward invested in property in Topeka. He soon afterward located at Falls City, Neb., and carried on his trade and farming for four years; also did the county surveying (as deputy), after which he went to Colorado, and operated in mining for six years. In 1865 he returned to Nebraska, and sold out his interests there, and after spending two years in Missouri, he came here and located in 1868, and has actively carried on his present industry since. He married in Colorado, in 1860, Mrs. Mary Jane Paydon, formerly Spear, of his native State. They have one son and four daughters - Margaret Ann, now Mrs. James Souders; Edward, Mabel, Susan and Mary. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. During the war he did service in the Third Colorado Cavalry in the Indian service; was honorably discharged. He is the present Justice of the Peace of his township, and has filled other municipal and school official positions for several years. His farm contains 160 acres of well improved land, good buildings, and an orchard of well assorted fruits, all of which he has placed upon the farm.
E. W. CLARK, banker, was born at Maquoketa, Jackson Co., Iowa, September 10, 1857, and lived there until October, 1869, when he came with his parents to Chetopa. His father, Jonas Clark, located here in 1868, being interested in the Oswego and Chetopa town companies, operating in real estate, etc. He now resides in Carthage, Mo. E. W. Clark was educated at the public schools and the State University of Lawrence. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and K. of P. He became connected with the bank of which he is now cashier in 1875. The bank was established by W. B. and F. H. Ketcham, under the firm name of W. B. Ketcham & Co. Re-organized as the First National Bank, September 14, 1871, the officers being J. E. Marsh, president; E. J. Stewart, vice-president; F. H. Ketcham, cashier; Lee Clark, assistant cashier. The First National Bank was succeeded by Ketcham & Co.; firm composed of R. W. Officer, F. H. Ketcham and Lee Clark. Another change took place in June, 1876, Lee Clark becoming proprietor of the bank. Mr. A. D. Sturges purchased an interest in the bank, August 1, 1876, and Clark & Sturges conducted the business until August 1, 1879, when Mr. Sturges retired, and George H. Bates became associated with Mr. Clark, continuing with him until the decease of Mr. Bates, February 15, 1882, his interest in the business being now represented by his widow, F. E. Bates, the style of the firm continuing as Clark & Bates.
JOSEPH W. COLUMBIA, livery, feed and sale stables, was born in Fort Wayne, Ind., March 7, 1845, and descended from a worth French ancestry. His great grand ancestor was Louis Columbia, who came over with Gen. La Fayette, and assisted him all through the Revolution, and finally settled in Ohio, in connection with farming business. He had one son, John, (J. W. C.'s grandfather) who carried on the blacksmith business in Ohio, and settled at Fort Wayne, Ind. Among his family was Christopher, father of J. W., who was also a blacksmith, and who came to Kansas in 1851, and engaged in merchandising and trading with the Indians at Council Grove, finally retiring from that industry and located upon a farm in Morris County, where he died in 1861, and is buried in the cemetery at Council Grove. He was an active member of the Masonic Order. Had served his district in the Legislative Assembly of the State, and had been Commissioner of that county for several years. His widow, Martha Columbia (formerly Grelder, a descendant of German ancestors), and four sons survive him. They are Joseph W., Christopher, Charles D. and George W. Joseph W. came to Kansas in 1852, with the family, and upon arriving at manhood engaged in the freighting business and carried it on for several years; after which he spent a few years as assistant in milling. In 1870, he came here and carried on a meat market for three years; after which he engaged in the grocery business and carried it on until he built and opened his present business in 1882. He married September 10, 1866, and Miss Martha Lisle, daughter of Dr. George Lisle, of this place. She was born in Ohio and reared here, her father having located here about 1858. Mr. and Mrs. Columbia have three sons and three daughters - William, James C., C. Albert, Minnie, Nellie and Mattie. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. society. He did active service in the militia of his State during the war. He has served his city as Police Judge, and also upon the Board of Aldermen. He has besides his present business, 200 acres of valuable land in Lynn County, Kan. His stables have first-class rigs and good horses always in readiness for the traveling trade.
J. D. CONDERMAN, attorney, was born at Fort Plain, Montgomery Co., N. Y., April 8, 1836, read law there and at other places; admitted to the bar at Albany, N. Y., in the spring of 1860; began practice in Steuben County N. Y. Came from Cooperstown, Otsego Co., N. Y., to Kansas in May, 1870, locating at Chetopa June 24, of that year. He has served as City Attorney and has been prominently identified with interests of the city and county since the time he located here. He was married in this city in October, 1875, to Ida J. Wood. They have two children - Rollin and Bertha.
COL. J. B. COOK, loan and real estate agent, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., June 22, 1834; lived in his native State until he was fifteen years of age, and then left home to make a living for himself. After spending three years in various Southern and Western States, he went to California and was engaged in mining and various other pursuits for three years. Returning to Pennsylvania he spent one winter there and then came to Kansas City, where he was engaged in real estate operations for three years. He then went to Delavan, Tazewell Co., Ill., and enlisted in Company H. Fourth Illinois Cavalry, serving one year as a private, one year as Second Lieutenant, and then promoted to Major of the Third United States Colored Cavalry. A year later he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and served in that position until he was mustered out of the service January 26, 1866, having command of the regiment most of the time, besides having command at the close of the war, and prior to that date of the Third Brigade of the Cavalry Division of West Tennessee. He participated in several of the principal battles of the war, Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Shiloh, siege of Corinth, and many others. Col. Cook deserves great credit for his capture of Holmes' Battery of Scott's Brigade by saber charge at Woodville, Miss., October 5, 1864, and for the burning of the Black River, Miss., Central Railroad bridge. During his entire service he displayed bravery and strategy superior to many of the commanding officers who had been educated in the art of war. After leaving the army he was engaged for one season in raising cotton in Arkansas. In March, 1867, he returned to Delavan, Ill., and was in the United States Internal Revenue service, and engaged in farming until he came to Kansas to reside in April, 1871, locating in Hackberry Township, Labette County, his farm being situated on the northwestern quarter of Section 30, in that township and northeast quarter of Section 25, Elm Grove Township. In November, 1873, Col. Cook removed to Chetopa and actively engaged in business which he now carries on. He had to some extent negotiated loans and dealt in real estate while on his farm; but since coming to Chetopa he has given his entire attention to the business, representing large eastern capitalists principally of Lancaster, Westchester and Philadelphia, Pa. During 1882 his loans amounted to over $200,000, and were made in the counties of Labette, Cherokee, Crawford and Neosho counties in southeastern Kansas. He owns several fine farms in the vicinity of Chetopa and some valuable city property. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., K. of P. and the G. A. R. The Colonel was married at Decatur, Ill., November 21, 1871, to Hannah Prosser, a native of Salem, Ind. Col. Cook is pre-eminently a leader and one of the most enterprising and public-spirited citizens of Kansas. Through his influence about 200 families have been induced to locate in the State, nearly all of them in Labette County. He has been Alderman and is now serving his second term as Mayor of the city.
WILLIAM H. COOK, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Macoupin County, Ill., October 17, 1849, and was reared and educated in Montgomery County. At the age of twenty he located in Champaign County, and was actively identified with teaching and farming there, till 1876, when he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has improved to its present condition. It contains 160 acres of valuable land; is well fenced and watered and stocked; handsome dwelling and barns and stables, and an orchard of nicely assorted fruits. He also owns 160 acres, adjoining farm residence, under a good general state of improvement; has nice orchard and good dwellings and stables; farm is well fenced. He pays considerable attention to the introduction and rearing of fine bred stock, in the line of cattle, sheep and hogs, especially. In 1880 he married Miss Laura B. Collins, who was born and reared in Madison County, Ind. They have one little girl. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the K. of H. Society. Since locating here he has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. He has served his school district as Clerk for several years, and is present incumbent of that office, as well as that of his Township.
JOSEPH CRAFT, grocer, was born in Lycoming County, Pa., October 11, 1848. From childhood until 1867, he lived in Indiana. His father, William Craft, located here October 20, 1867, and built the Chetopa House, which was located where the bank building now stands. Kept the hotel for several years. Removed to his farm in Richland Township about eight years ago. He died there January 4, 1879. Joseph Craft was employed as a clerk for a period of about nine years. He also served one year as a member of the Police force. For three years he was engaged in farming, and April 26, 1882, he engaged in the grocery business, having been with Joseph Columbia as clerk in his grocery for six years prior to starting in business for himself. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married in this city April 28, 1872, to Sarah Lucy Rathbun, a native of Meigs County, Ohio. They have five children - Mary Mabel, Maud Myrtle, Harry J., Emma and Allie May.
HON. J. H. CRICHTON, attorney, President of the Board of Regents of the State Normal School, etc., was born in Scotland, May 5, 1844, and came to America with his parents in 1849. They located in Laporte County, Ind. J. H. resided there until 1867, when he came to Kansas, locating a few months later, April 4, 1868, at Chetopa, there engaging in the general practice of law. Since 1880 he has given his attention only to important cases in the District and Supreme Courts of the State and the United States Courts, his investments and official duties requiring much attention. He has been a member of the Board of Regents of the State Normal School for the last eleven years, and is President of the Board. Among the other duties which devolve upon him, is the supervision of the school lands of that institution. He has served two terms as State Senator, is now a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, and has held various important offices, which are not here enumerated. He organized the A., F. & A. M. Lodge of Chetopa, and was for several years master of the lodge; is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. Mr. Crichton graduated from Asbury University, Indiana, in 1866, and from the Law Department of Michigan University in 1868, since which time he has been admitted to practice in the various State and United States Courts.