|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - RICHLAND TOWNSHIP (KELLERMAN - MOORE).WILLIAM KELLERMAN, grocer, is a native of Logan County, Ohio, born near Bellefontaine, May 29, 1833, lived in Elkhart County, Ind., from 1836 to 1846, then in Kendall County, Ill., till 1855, when he located near Sedalia, Mo., residing there until April, 1868, when he came to Chetopa. In mercantile business several years, proprietor of the National hotel six years, Police Judge one year. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., and K. of H. During the war of the Rebellion, he served nine months in the Missouri Enrolled Militia, a portion of the time being Second Lieutenant of Company D. Seventh Missouri Enrolled Militia. Mr. Kellerman was married October 15, 1882, to Mary Jane Melville, a native of Michigan.
PHILLIP KELLERMAN, grocer, was born near Elkhart Ind., December 30, 1837. He was married in Newton County, Mo., in June, 1867, to Eliza M. Donaldson, a native of Tennessee. They have five children - Wm. T., Eva, Lulu, Maud and Thomas. Mr. Kellerman enlisted in Company D, Seventh Missouri Cavalry, March 1862, serving until April 10, 1865, when he was mustered out at Warrensburg, Mo. He is a member of I. O. O. F. and K. of H. Mr. Kellerman came to Chetopa in April, 1868; engaged in mercantile business, farming, hotel, etc., since locating here.
LEVI KILE, owner of "Neosho Valley Fruit Farm," horticulturist, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Huron County, Ohio, in 1833, and was reared in Morrow County, where he was identified with farming and stock raising extensively for over twenty-six years. In 1882 he came to Kansas and located in this county, and subsequently bought the present farm. It is located just outside the northern limits of Chetopa. It contains eighty-three acres surrounded by a good hedge fence; forty-three acres are devoted to grain tillage, pasture and timber, and forty acres are used in horticulture, in which he has at present 6,000 assorted apple trees of all varieties, 400 pear trees well assorted, and 1,000 peach trees. He has three acres in grapes of a nicely assorted variety, and a general assortment of cherries, plums, etc., etc. He also does considerable business in gardening. A handsome dwelling is situated on the farm, nice barns and stables, etc., and an immense cider press, capable of turning out forty barrels of cider per day. He married in 1857, Miss Elizabeth Roberts, of his native place. They have three sons and one daughter - John W., William W., Lewis D., and Lotta May. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has been an active member of the I. O. O. F. society for eleven years.
H. D. KNIGHT, retired, is a native of Norwich, Hampshire Co., Mass., born September 14, 1816, lived there until 1846, then removed to Springfield, Mass. Was two years a resident of that city, afterward at Southampton, Mass., three years, and at Lee, Mass., three years, removing from there to Batavia, Genesee Co, N. Y. After three years' residence there he located at Strawberry Point, Clayton Co., and Fayette, Fayette Co., Iowa, remaining there until the spring of 1868, then in Tennessee until he came to Labette County, Kan., in the spring of 1869, locating on the northwest quarter of Section 33, Hackberry Township and engaged in farming there until 1874, then in Missouri until 1876, when he returned to Kansas and located in Hackberry Township. He afterward purchased one near Mound Valley, which he exchanged for one in Cherokee County, two miles east of Chetopa. For several years Mr. Knight carried on an extensive photograph business, both in the East and West. He was first married at Albany, N. Y., January 26, 1842, to Lucy C. Stevens, a native of Chester, Mass. She died July 25, 1869, leaving one daughter, Maria H., now Mrs. G. W. Jenkins, of Chautauqua County, Kan. A son, Erastus Channing, died July 23, 1869. Mr. Knight was married again August 14, 1871, at Neosho, Mo., to his present wife, Julia Richards, who was born at New Hartford, Conn., May 2, 1830. Mr. Knight is a member of the Presbyterian Church. His parents, Erastus Knight and Patty Porter Knight, were married at Hatfield, Mass., January 16, 1806. Their living children are - Betsey W., Horace D., the subject of this sketch, Rosamond F., Quartus P. Four of their children have died - Erastus P., Rosamond, Lucinda D., and Merilla G. Mr. Knight's grandparents were Samuel and Betty Elderkin Knight.
JOHN L. LAMB, proprietor of the omnibus line, livery and feed stables, was born in Spencer County, Ind., January 29, 1850. In 1858 his people located in Leavenworth, Kan., where he was reared and educated. In 1871 he came here and engaged in railway business for a short time after which he learned the blacksmith business, and carried it on actively here till 1882, when he retired from that business, and engaged at his present business which he ably represents. He married in 1876 Miss Laura V. Lee, who was born in Missouri, and reared and educated in Kansas. They have a family of tow sons and two daughters - William Lewis, Cora Ellen, Zephie Fredonia and Early Adelbert. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M., A. O. U. W. and K. of L. societies. Has served as City Marshall of Chetopa, and has of Chetopa, and has filled other civic official positions. His stables are ample and well supplied with first-class rigs.
GEORGE LISLE, M. D., the pioneer settler of Chetopa and the man who named the town, was born in Wayne Township, Belmont Co., Ohio, February 22, 1814. He received his literary education in the public schools of his native county, and read medicine at Beallsville, Ohio, with Dr. Louis Gradigney, a celebrated French physician. Attended lectures at the Ohio Medical College, sessions of 1837-38, and graduated from that institution in the spring of 1838, having practiced three years previous to attending lectures. He was engaged in practice at Powhattan, Ohio, until the fall of 1856. April 17, 1857, he came to the place where Chetopa is now located. He supposed that he had located on the strip, and his design was to start a town. After putting up a couple of small buildings, he was notified by the Osage Indians that he was on their land, but soon arrived at an amicable understanding with them receiving a permit to remain. The first year he was here he had twenty acres of land plowed on the first site of the city of Chetopa, and also plowed several acres the same season on the east side of the river. He assisted to make two annual payments to the Osages, being employed by the Government as Indian Agent. He was Mayor of the city during 1873 and part of 1874. He having great admiration for Chetopa, the old Chief of the Osages, gave his name to the town which he (the doctor) formed. The interpretation of the same is as follows: "Che," houses of lodges: "topa." four: Chetopa - four lodges. The Doctor came to Kansas for the benefit of the health of his family, and found the relief for which he was seeking. October 10, 1833, He was married, at Sinclairsville, Ohio, to Phoebe Wood, a native of Wayne Township, Belmont Co., Ohio. She was boun December 11, 1814; she died January 6, 1863. Four children survive her - Penina, now Mrs. J. E. Bryan, of Oswego, Kan,; Lettie, now Mrs. Sam Paxson, Chetopa; Martha, now Mrs. Joseph Columbia, of Chetopia, and John. The Doctor was married at Chetopa, January 12, 1879, to his present wife, Mrs. Elizabeth A. Holland, a native of Fountain County, Ind., but reared in Illinois, from the age of two years, living in Iroquois County until 1865, and then came to Cherokee County, Kan., being one of the early settlers of that county. He has one child - Nellie, by his present marriage. Mrs. Lisle has two children by a former marriage - Grant, fourteen years of age, and Ida May, twelve years of age. The Doctor is a member of the A., F. & A. M. He has been engaged in active practice since first locating here. In an early day he did some trading with the Indians.
WILLIAM LEHMAN, of the firm of William Lehman & Bro., wholesale dealers in dry goods, clothing, hats, caps, boots and shoes, was born in Bavaria, December 11, 1856. Came to America June 16, 1871, locating in the city of New York, where he remained until 1876, when he removed to St. Joseph, Mo., removing to Chetopa in March, 1877. Mr. Lehman has been engaged in mercantile business for twelve years. He is a member of the A., F. &. A. M., I. O. O. F., and K. of P. Mr. Lehman & Bro. carry a large stock of goods, and do an extensive trade in Southern Kansas and the Indian Territory. Annual sales amount to from $60,000 to $65,000. Isidor Lehman of the firm of Lehman & Bro., was born in Bavaria May 15, 1861, and came to America in May, 1878. Located at St. Joseph, Mo., where he resided until December of the same year, when he came to Chetopa, employed as a clerk in his brother's store until February 7, 1883, when he became associated with him as a partner. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P.
JAMES LEWMAN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Lewis County, Ky., May 18, 1812. At the age of sixteen he removed with his people to Vermillion County, Ill., where he was identified with farming and stock raising for many years. In 1878 he came here and located upon his present place, and has carried on his present industry actively since, but now his quit farming. He married in 1833, Miss Peggy Ann Wright, who was born and reared in Bourbon County, Ky. They have four sons and three daughters living - Martha Ann, now Mrs. Benjamin Erwin, farmer of Vermillion County, Ill,; Thomas R. of Rich Hill, Mo.; James P. farmer, of this county; Mary E., now Mrs. Joseph Osborn, farmer of Vermillion County, Ill.; George and Family, now living on the farm, and engaged in farming and stock raising ; Samuel Harvey, farmer of this county, and Margaret J., now Mrs. Eugene Daniels, farmer of Bourbon County, Kan. Mr. Lewman has been an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for fifty-three years, and his wife for fifty-one years. His farm contains 160 acres of land, is well improved, has good buildings and an orchard of eight acres of nicely assorted fruits, also a handsome lot of forest trees.
DR. HENRY LISLE, owner of "Roseland Farm," stock raiser and horticulturist, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, August 9, 1820, and was educated in the public schools of his nativity, He received his professional education under the tuition of his brother, Dr. George Lisle (now of Chetopa). Dr. Lisle carried on the practice of his profession in his native State, till at the age of forty, when he went to West Virgina and after four years' practice there he located in Indiana and spent three years in practice there. In 1868, he came here and practiced and carried it on till 1873, when he was compelled to abandon it on account of ill health and engaged at his present industry with which he had been actively identified in the meantime. He married in 1849, Miss Sarah Ann Conley, who was born in Washington County, Pa., and reared in Fulton, W. Va. Their family are, David H., Mary H., James A., Alice, now Mrs. E. C. Mairs; Leba, Jessie and Detta, and one adopted son, Jackson Mosely. He has been an active member of the Masonic order for the last forty years; he has served his Township as Trustee and Treasurer, and has been an active member of the School Board, of his District for many years, "Roseland Farm" contains 160 acres of valuable land, is well fenced and watered and stocked, fine buildings and a fine orchard.
C. W. LITTLETON, M. D. in a native of Kenton, Co., Ohio, born in 1831, educated in his native State; in 1856, he removed to Illinois, resided there several years, then in Iowa, seven years afterward in Ohio for one year and in April 1873, he came to Chetopa and engaged in the active practice of his profession for about eight years after coming here; but soon after his location in Kansas he became interested in stock business, and he is now giving most of his attention to his extensive cattle interests. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and A. O. U. W., he has been a member of the Board of Education. The Dr. was married at Monmouth, Ill., December 22, 1859, to Adelaide Pike, a native of Ohio. They have three children - Ella D., Robert and Clara Maud.
ROBERT F. LONNECKER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa was born in Preble County, Ohio, January 16, 1853, and removed with his people to Atlanta, Logan Co., Ill., where he was reared and was identified with farming there until 1878, when he came here and located and has been actively connected with his present industry since. He married in Atlanta, Ill., in 1871 Miss Julia Burwell, who was born and reared in Tazewell County, Ill.; they have two sons, George Elwood and Mont Neef. He is an active member of the K. of H. society here. His farm contains 240 acres of valuable land, is well improved, has good fences, an abundance of water, good buildings and an orchard of well assorted fruits and seven and a half acres of handsome forest trees.
PETER McINTYRE, furniture dealer, is a native of County Monohan, Ireland, born in November, 1834. Came to America with his parents when he was eleven years old. They first located at Commerce, Mo., where they remained two years, then lived in St. Louis until 1861, when he removed to Iowa. August 15, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, Twenty-first Iowa Volunteer Infantry; served three Years; mustered out at Baton Rouge, La., August 15, 1865. After leaving the army he located at St. Louis, remaining there till 1867; afterwards at Kansas City until he came to Chetopa, October 9, 1869. He was in the chair factory three years, then with Brown & Co. for three or four years. Since 1876 he has been carrying on furniture business. He is a member of K. of H. and K. of L. He was married at St. Louis in October, 1868, to Fannie Bodaker, a native of St. Charles, Mo. They have four children - Nettie, Lillie, Guy and Fannie.
REV. JAMES C. McKNIGHT, owner of Pleasant View farm, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Crawford County, Pa., September 24, 1826. After he received a good common school education he took up a literary course at Allegheny College at Meadville, in 1846, he engaged in a theological course of study in the seminary at Allegheny, Pa., in 1849; and after a thorough study in that institution he, June, 1852, was licensed to preach. He was then appointed to missionary work, and was active in it until 1856, in Pennsylvania and Ohio, in the East and Iowa and Illinois in the West. In June, 1856, he took charge of the congregation at Spring Grove, Warren County, Ill., and continued in that pastorate until 1860. He then engaged actively upon supplywork and continued in that capacity until 1869, when he came here in view of establishing a school and college here, and in 1870 he located here and invested in land, and has carried on his present industry since. The arrangements for which he came here having been abandoned, he has applied himself to supply work and has worked actively in Sabbath school work. He married, in March, 1856, Miss Ellen Ralston of Belmont County, Ohio, a lady of fine literary attainments. They have a family of four sons and one daughter - Ella, James P., Andrew E., Alford S. and Willie R. His family are active members of the United Presbyterian Church. Rev. Mr. McKnight is the present School Treasurer of his district, and has been an active officer of his township and School Board for several years. "Pleasant View farm" contains 240 acres of valuable land, located three miles northwest of Chetopa; is nicely improved, having a fine residence, barn and stables, and four acres in orchard of assorted fruits. Rev. Mr. McKnight has also 160 acres of improved land and five acres of timber, a fitting testimonial of his activity in his present industry, since locating here.
HENRY L. MARQUARDT, owner of the Baden Hill farm, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Baden, Germany, July 17, 1834, and was reared and educated there, and learned the trade of boot and shoe maker. In 1860 he came to America and carried on his trade in Yonkers, N. Y., for two years. He then went to Lafayette, Ind., where he remained five years as head foreman of an extensive boot and shoe manufactory. After this he established himself in his business at Watseka, Ill., where he was successfully identified for several years. In 1882 he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has very handsomely improved. He married, in Yonkers, N. Y., in 1862, Miss Lena Rupp, who was born and reared in Gondersblum, Rhine, Hessan-Germany, and came to America in 1860. They have a family of three daughters - Katrina, Paulina and Anna. He and his wife have always been identified with the Lutheran Church. Baden Hill farm is pleasantly located a short distance outside of the city limits of Chetopa, and contains 160 acres of valuable land. It is well fenced, watered and stocked. Has ten acres of land of a well assorted variety of fruit trees. Upon the hill proper are located handsome dwellings and out buildings, surrounded with a variety of handsome forest trees, the residence location giving a beautiful view of the city and surrounding country. 150 acres under cultivation, with exception of fourteen acres in grass.
REV. CHARLES H. McCREERY, Pastor of the Presbyterian Church, Chetopa, Kan., was born at Mt. Morris, Livingston Co., N. Y. February 23, 1838. When he was eighteen months old his parents, Reuben and Susan Barker McCreery, removed to Flint, Mich., where his mother still resides, his father having died there March 25, 1881. Charles prepared for college at the Flint High School, and graduated from the Michigan University in the class of 1860. He taught school one year and then entered the Union Theological Seminary, New York City. On September 3, 1862, he was appointed Second Lieutenant Company A. Eighth Regiment Michigan Volunteer Infantry. Serving a few days as Second Lieutenant of his Company he was then promoted to Adjutant of his Regiment, with the rank of First Lieutenant. On March 27, 1863, he was promoted to Captain of Company F, same Regiment. He was on detached service and was on staff duty much of the time, being Brigade Inspector, Division Inspector, etc., in the Ninth Army Corps. He received commission of Brevet-Major United States Volunteers April 2, 1865, "for conspicuous gallantry in the assault before Petersburg, Va." After the close of the war he was retained in the service, being connected with the Freedmen's Bureau at Columbia, S. C. He was mustered out October 7, 1865, and honorably discharged. In the spring of 1866 he returned to Michigan, and in the autumn of the same year he again entered the Union Theological Seminary, graduating from that institution in 1868. Coming from there to Chetopa, and beginning his pastoral work here, he organized the First Presbyterian Church September 20, 1868. The first members were Samuel H. Carr, George F. Smith, Lorenzo Billington, Samuel Cellars and wife, and Mrs. Maggie Lenhart. The present membership of the church is 105; services were first held September 17, 1868, before an organization was effected. The meetings were held for about two years in a hall over a billiard room on Third street. In August, 1870, the new church was dedicated. The Sabbath school was started with an attendance of about fifty, which has increased to 185, the present number enrolled. Mr. McCreery was ordained October 4, 1868, during a meeting of the Synod of Missouri held in Kansas City; and in August, 1869, was installed pastor of the church in Chetopa. In addition to his duties as pastor of the Chetopa Church he has charge of a new church in Hackberry Township, Labette County, preaching there twice a month. He is stated Clerk of Neosho Presbytery, Chaplain of Pea Ridge Post No. 118, G. A. R., and one of the Trustees on the Ladies' Seminary located at Oswego. Mr. McCreery was married at New York November 2, 1869, to Cornella L. Brower, a native of that city, who died November 22, 1877 leaving four children, one, an infant, who at the age of nine months. The children who survive are - John B., Charles R. and William B., the latter two being twins. Mr. McCreery was married to present wife, Margaret Scott, December 18, 1879. She was born in Township of Missouri, Oxford Co., Ont. They have one son, Henry S.
TIMOTHY MARSH, grocer, was born in Lewisburg, Preble Co., Ohio, March 9, 1830. From the age of seven years he was reared near Ft. Madison, Iowa. In 1853 he went to California, and resided there most of the time until January, 1876, when he came to Labette County, Kansas. Since locating here he has been engaged in farming and merchandising; first few weeks on a farm, then eighteen months in mercantile business; afterwards for two years farming again; since which time he has been in his present trade. He was married at Central City, Col., July 10, 1866, to Priscilla Lake, a native of Indiana. Mr. Narsh is a member of the Presbyterian Church and I. O. O. F.
AMBROSE D. MARTIN, grocer, was born in Shelby County, Ky., July 19, 1823, living there until 1849, then removed to Henry County, Ky. In the fall of 1876 he came to Labette County, Kan., locating in Hackberry Township, where he was engaged in farming until January, 1882, when he embarked in mercantile business at Chetopa, but still owning the farm where he located in Hackberry Township. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and A., F. and A. M. Mr. Martin was married in Henry County, Ky., May 29, 1849, to Eliza A. King, a native of that county.
GEORGE W. MOLLENHOUR, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Kosciusko County, Ind., October 20, 1843, and was identified with farming there till 1869, when he came to Kansas and located here. He engaged, at first, in lumber milling, but after three years he took up his present business, which he has successfully carried on since; in the meantime doing an extensive business in grain threshing, operating the Aultman & Tayler machine, with steam power. He married, in 1873, Miss Hannah Creighbaum, of his native place. They have two sons - Louis Edward and John W. During the war he did active service in company E. One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry; in 1864 he was honorably discharged. He is a member of the K. of H. society, of Pea Ridge Post, G. A. R. No. 118. He is present Township Constable, and has served upon the School Board of his district for several years. His farm residence contains eighty acres of choice land, is well fenced and watered, nice dwellings and yards, and good stables, and an orchard of four acres, of well assorted fruit; has also a nice selection of forest and ornamental trees. He has a farm in Hackberry Township of eighty acres, under a good general state of improvement, containing dwellings and stables and orchards.
JESSE M. MORGAN, book-keeper, application clerk and examiner of titles for J. B. Cook, loan and real estate agent, came to Richland Township, Labette Co., Kansas, June 10, 1874; located on southeast quarter of Section 28, where he still resides, owning the farm where he first located. Since coming to Kansas he has taught school five winter terms; was employed eighteen months as a clerk in the office of the Register of Deeds, and six months in the County Treasurer's office. Since November, 1881, he has held an important position in the office of J. B. Cook. He was born near Rushville, Rush Co., Ind., January 2, 1845. After living there eight years his home was in Tipton County, where he remained until he came to Kansas, in 1874. He was educated in the public schools of Tipton County, Ind., and taught school eleven winters prior to his removal from Indiana. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Morgan was married near Urbana, Champaign Co., Ohio, October 7, 1868, to Melissa A. Hitchborn, a native of Maine. They have four children - Lula A., Bessie M., Maggie B. and Mary.
JOHN H. MOORE, owner of Chestnut Grove farm, P. O. Chetopa, was born in Huron County, Ohio, 1822. In 1837, he located with his people in Clay County, Ind., where he was identified with farming and cooperage business. In 1848, he located in Mahaska County, Iowa, after farming for a few years. In 1851, he located in Lee County, and engaged in the contracting of convict labor, and held many official positions for nine years. He filled the Deputy Wardenship, and other official positions. In 1871, he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has improved. The farm contains 200 acres of valuable land, and lays one and a half miles south of Chetopa. It is well fenced, watered and stocked, and has good buildings and an orchard of 400 trees of a nicely assorted variety, besides these he has a goodly number of forest trees. He was married April 20, 1843, to Miss Rhoda Jane Bray, of Vigo County, Ind., who departed this life in 1851, and is buried in the cemetery at Oskaloosa, Iowa, leaving one daughter - Phoebe, now Mrs. George Wist. Mr. Moore also lost the same year his oldest daughter. In 1853, he married Miss Mary M. Loslie, formerly Smiley, of Ohio. They have two sons and seven daughters - Miranda, now Mrs. John D. Adams; Ada, now Mrs. Wm. Kirkland; Fannie, now Mrs. Howe Carver; Laura, Gracie, Ella, Della, William, and Walter. His wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the K. of L. Society. In connection with farming he carries on the manufacture of brick, in which he gives employment to a great many workmen, turning out about 600,000 brick during the season.