William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 16] [part 14] [Cutler's History]


FRANK W. FELT, County Clerk, was born near Quincy, Adams Co., Ill., September 23, 1851. In 1864 his parents, with their family, moved to Hannibal, Mo., thence to Canton, and from there to Mexico, Mo., where he remained until he came to Kansas, April 17, 1873. Spent a short time in Chautauqua county, and in June, 1873, located in Montana Township, Labette County. In September of the same year he came to Oswego, and became connected with the M., K. & T. R. R. Co., first as telegraph operator and assistant ticket and freight agent at this point. In April, 1874, he went to Chetopa as assistant agent for the same company. Oct. 14, 1874, he was promoted to the position of ticket and freight agent at Oswego, which position he held until he resigned, December 15, 1881. Being courteous to all, and thoroughly efficient in all the departments of his office, he has become one of the most popular officials of the county.

ISRAEL R. FISHER, grocer, was born at Phillipsburg, Montgomery Co., Ohio, February 12, 1844. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1866, locating at Ottawa in February, 1867. Resided there one year, then came to Oswego. Was engaged in mercantile business ever since he came to the State, his brother Samuel being associated with him until December 21, 1875. Afterward, Joseph Davenport was his partner until April, 1883. Since them he has been alone in business. His first store, 20x30 feet, was located where his present extensive brick building stands. He now occupies a store which is 25x134 feet, eighty feet being two stories in height. He and his brother are the oldest grocers in this city. He was married at Phillipsburg, Ohio, February 21, 1865, to Susie Davenport, a native of that place. They have one child - Lucy May. Mr. F. has a fine farm in Oswego Township.

SAMUEL FISHER, grocer, was born in Clay Township, Montgomery County, Ohio, November 28, 1840. Lived there until February 12, 1867, when he started for Kansas, locating at Ottawa in that month, and engaged in the mercantile business, which he continued until the summer of 1868, when he came to Oswego. He and his brother, I. R. Fisher, were associated together until the fall of 1875, since which time he has been alone in the same trade. They began business in a frame store, 20x30 feet. He now has a store 25x90 feet - a brick building, two stories, with warehouse 20x20 feet; also a grain warehouse 22x50 feet. Mr. F. was married at Oswego, Kan., December 11, 1873, to Josephine Scott, a native of Illinois. They have one son - Walter Scott Fisher. Samuel and I. R. Fisher are the pioneer grocers of Oswego.

J. A. FLORA, proprietor of the Condon House, was born in Indiana in 1845, and educated at Hartsville University, in the same State. He learned the trade of cabinet making, following it for several years. On April 9, 1862, he emigrated to Kansas, where he engaged in the stock business quite largely, and was greatly prospered until the financial panic of 1873 swept away all his property. He was married in 1867 to Mary Shultz, by whom he had two children - Norman Clarence and Hattie, the latter being the first white child born in Montgomery County. Mrs. F. died in November, 1873. Mr. Flora was married the second time to Mrs. Ada C. Smith, of Indianapolis, in 1878. He entered upon the hotel business in the city of Oswego in the spring of 1881. He enlisted in Company C. Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Infantry, in October, 1864, and was in service in Missouri, and in the battle of Mine Run, capture of Marmaduke, etc. He is a member of the G. A. R. and A. O. U. W. Mr. F. was one of the first settlers of Oswego, and he passed over the ground before there were any settlements within fifty miles of the present site of Oswego. He keeps a good house, and enjoys the patronage of the traveling public.

THOMAS FOUNTAIN, section foreman, was born in Jasper County, Mo., 1859. His father died some years since. His mother still lives in the State of Missouri. He has four brothers and two sisters living, five in Missouri and one in Indiana. Mr. Fountain was married in 1879 to Miss Eva Moore of Oswego, whose parents are both living in the same town. Mrs. F. received her education in the schools of Oswego. They have two children - Charlie, born in 1880, and Harry, born in 1883. Mr. Fountain has been a farmer most of his life. He moved to Oswego, Kan., in 1877, where he has been employed as section foreman on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad.

A. H. GARNETT, M. D., was born in Essex County, Va., March 15, 1849. Received his literary education in the schools of his native State, and graduated from the medical department of Maryland University, in March, 1872, having read medicine with his father and attended a first course of lectures at the National Medical College, at Washington, D. C. He began practice in his native State afterwards, for three years, at Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was hospital physician, and physician to the outdoor poor, the latter position being connected with the Board of Health of that city. He returned to Essex County, Va., and remained two years prior to coming to Oswego in the fall of 1879. Two months after he came here, he became associated with Dr. J. B. Draper, his present partner. This firm, in ability and skill, is second to none in Southern Kansas. The doctor was married at Cincinnati, Ohio, May 15, 1879, to Lizzie A. Brown, a native of that city. They have one child, Clifford Carlisle, born at Oswego, May 1, 1881.

J. H. GARRETT, carpenter, contractor and builder, was born in Benton County, Tenn., December 19, 1841. From nine years of age until 1867, his home was in St. Clair County, Ill., although he was over three years in the army during the War of the Rebellion. He enlisted in July, 1861, in Company F, Ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out in August, 1864. He participated in all the engagements of his command during his term of service. He was wounded in the shoulder and breast during a skirmish near Decatur, Ala.; still carries one of the Confederate bullets in his breast. After leaving the army he returned to Illinois, remaining there until August, 1867, when he located on a claim one mile and a quarter southwest of Oswego, Kan., living there two years. Then he bought a farm at Rock Ford on the Labette River, remaining there one year, then removed to Oswego, where he has since resided. He was doing carpenter work a good deal of the time while residing on his farms, and since coming to Oswego he has given his attention almost exclusively to contracting and building. One year he was engaged in the manufacture of wheat fans. For the last six years John L. Kinnear has been associated with Mr. Garrett as a partner in contracting, building and house moving business. Mr. Garrett is a member of the A. O. U. W., K. P. of H. and G. A. R. He was married in August, 1864, at Mascoutah, St. Clair Co., Ill., to Martha Ellen Brown, a native of that place. They have seven children - Larel E., Charles A., John H., Francis Arthur, Edwin Isaac, Gertrude and Mabel.

HON. W. B. GLASSE attorney, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, August 21, 1840; was educated at the Hagerstown and Union academies in Ohio, and graduated from the law department of the Michigan University at Ann Arbor, in the spring of 1868. After leaving college he spent a few months in Missouri, and in July, 1869, he located at Oswego, Kan., where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession, although for the first two years of his residence here, he was operating in real estate to a considerable extent. Since that time, however, his entire attention has been devoted to his law practice. He was associated with Hon. H. G. Webb, as a partner for nine years prior to February, 1883, but is now doing business without a partner. In August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company A., One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. After one year's service in that regiment he was discharged on account of disability, caused by sickness, being Sergeant of his company at that time. In April, 1864, he again entered the army and served as Captain of Company B., One Hundred and Seventieth Ohio Volunteers, during the term of enlistment, six months. In 1880, he was elected State Senator. He is a member of Adams Lodge No. 63, A. F., & A. M. ; was master of the lodge in 1882. He was married at New Orleans, La., June 17, 1872, to Cordelia C. Fuller, a native of Milford, Oakland Co., Mich. They have four children - Amy, Cary S., Paul and Millie.

DAVID GOFF, corn, hominy and planing mills, was born in La Rue County, Ky., February 28, 1843, lived there until 1861, when he removed to Indiana, and in February, 1862, he enlisted in Company H., Fifty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry; participated in all battles of his command, and was mustered out of the service in July, 1865. Returning to Indiana, he resided at Shelbyville until September, 1874, when he located in Reno County, Kan. He was engaged in farming there until he came to Oswego in December, 1880. After coming here he did carpenter and joiner work until September, 1881, when he engaged in his present business. Mr. Goff was married at Shelbyville, Ind., December 24, 1866, to Mary Ellen Davidson, a native of Shelby County, Ind. They have three children - Elmer C., Edward and Oscar H. Mr. G. is a member of the G. A. R.

HERBERT B. GOOCH, grocer, was born in London, England, January 7, 1835. Came to America with his parents in 1850, located in Philadelphia. In 1854 the family went to Toronto, Ontario, where he learned the trade of harness making, and afterwards lived in various parts of the country, prior to 1864, when he came to Fort Scott, Kan., removing from Quincy, Ill., to that place. He lived at Fort Scott, Junction City and Emporia, until he located at Oswego, in fall of 1867. He started the first harness and saddlery manufactory in Labette County. After carrying on that business for three or four years he engaged in the grocery trade, which he has since continued. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Mr. Gooch was married in this city in the fall of 1869, to Mary Grimes, a native of Iowa. They have three children - Frederick Arthur, Mildred and Florence.

MRS. ANNA HALSEY, omnibus and stage line, was born in Huntington County, Ind., February 2, 1840. She received a good common school education, and was married to Stephen Albert Halsey, of Oswego, February 23, 1870. Mr. Halsey was born in Tennessee, on February 28, 1835. At the age of seventeen he went to Batesville, Ark., where he lived until the commencement of the late war, when he enlisted, and was in service until the close of the war. Mr. H. then traveled and lived in various places, following the omnibus until his death, which occurred on April 17, 1883, leaving the widow and two sons - Harry, born February 27, 1871, and William Arthur, born September 7, 1873. Mrs. Halsey is continuing the business followed by her late husband, running a line of omnibuses between the hotels and depots of the Missouri, Pacific & St. Louis and San Francisco railroads.

C. B. HARLAND, hotel keeper, came to Kansas in the spring of 1865, and in the fall of the same year settled on a quarter section, and afterwards purchased the Logan farm, making 225 acres in all. Mr. Harland in the spring of 1882 purchased the Junction House, formerly owned by his father, who was killed by a horse, June, 1874. Mr. H. was born October 5, 1837, at Crawfordsville, Ind. He removed with his parents at an early age to Fulton County, Ill., where he lived nineteen years on a farm. He then removed to Eaton County, Mich., where he cast his first vote for A. Loncoln. Mr. Harland's father was quite a noted Sunday-School worker in Illinois. Mr. H. was married in 1859, to Elmira Hughes, by whom he had four children - Eva; Frankie, married to B. F. Hunt, of Eufaula, Indian Territory; Bertha; Georgia. Mrs. H. died November 11, 1875. He was married to Emma Nelson, of Madison, Ind., by whom he has one daughter, Lucy. Mrs. H. was born in 1853, and educated at College Hill, Ind. Her father, Joseph Nelson, is living in Oswego, Kan. A brother, Frank Nelson, is a grain dealer in Oswego, another brother, Edgar a farmer. Mr. Harland has two brothers, Judge W. Harland, and George E. Harland, merchant at Columbus, Kan. His mother also lives in the same town. Mrs. H.'s mother, Lucy Nelson, is living in Mound Valley Township, eighty-three years of age. The Junction House, kept by Mr. Harland, is near the Union Depot of the Missouri Pacific & St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad. It has pleasant rooms, good table and beds, and a courteous and accommodating host.

JOHN F. HILL, retired farmer and teacher, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, December 10, 1833. His great-grandfather came from England a short time prior to the War of the Revolution. His grandfather was Benjamin Hill, a soldier of the Revolution. His father, John Hill, was born in Carroll, Md., in 1796, and was one of the early settlers of Ohio. Having received a common school education he commenced teaching school at seventeen, in Ross County, Ohio. He taught school winters and worked on the farm summers until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company K., Eighty-ninth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was with the regiment in its campaigns in Kentucky and West Virginia up the Danawha River. His regiment was then transferred to the Army of the Cumberland, and in the battle of Chickamauga, he was captured with his regiment, and was conveyed to Richmond, and confined in one of the larger prisons, where he remained until the following November, when he was taken to a Danville prison, from which he, with sixty others, escaped, and was one of the three only that succeeded in reaching the Union lines after sixteen nights' travel. He reported to Gov. Todd, of Ohio, and was granted permission to remain at home three months. He then rejoined the Army of the Cumberland at Ringgold, Ga., and was with Sherman in his campaign through Georgia to Atlanta, and was severely wounded at the battle of Jonesboro, Ga., from which he never fully recovered, and was not able to leave the hospital until after the close of the war, and, for which he receives a pension. After the war he again took up the profession of teaching in his native State. In 1869 he emigrated to Illinois, where he remained one year, removing to Labette County, Kan., in 1870, and locating near Oswego. He purchased a farm near the town, and again resumed his profession. Mr. Hill was married in September, 1855, to Miss Mary Kearney, of Ross County, Ohio, by whom he had four sons, Dr. J. B. Hill, born in 1836, educated at Lawrence University and Keokuk Medical College, graduating at the latter institution in 1880, now practicing his profession at Hallowell, Kan,; Joseph, born in 1857, educated at Lawrence University, now a teacher in Labette County, Kan,; William Sherman, born in 1859, and educated at Four Scott Business College, now farming and teaching; Robert Anderson, born 1861, educated in Fort Scott, now farming. Mrs. Hill died in 1866. Mr. Hill's second wife was Miss Nan Clara McRoberts, of Chillicothe, Ohio, to whom he was married in 1869, and by whom he has one daughter - Lizzie Alice, born in 1870. When Mr. H. came to Kansas in 1870, he had but little means, but by prudence and economy he has now 500 acres of good land near Oswego, with a pleasant home in the town. He has served eight years as Justice of the Peace, and two years on the Board of School Examiners for Labette County. He is a correspondent of the Agricultural Department, Washington, and the Kansas Agricultural Department. He is also commander of Post No. 150, G. A. R.

ROBERT HOWELL, of the firm of Howell & Hall, proprietors of the Neosho River Flouring Mills, is a native of Sussex County, N. J. Resided in Wisconsin prior to removal to Oswego in May, 1870. In 1871 he built the Neosho River Flouring Mills, north of the city, and in July of that year had the mills in operation. In 1881 they put in a new dam. The mills have a capacity of one hundred barrels per day (twenty-four hours). They do a merchant and exchange business exclusively. Shipments of flour are sent to the Indian Territory and Texas. Mr. Hall is a native of Tennessee, and came to Oswego about a year prior to the time that Mr. Howell located here.

WM. HOUCK, real estate and loan agent, was born near Vincennes, Knox Co., Ind., March 3, 1837. Lived in Cooper County, Mo., from 1839 until July, 1870. Coming to Kansas in the latter year, spent the summer here, and taught school the following winter in Missouri. In the spring of 1871 he returned to Kansas and located at Labette City, where he was engaged in teaching school, keeping hotel and doing a real estate business, until January, 1875, when he came to Oswego and engaged in his present business. He has served as Alderman and member of the Board of Education. He was married in Knox County, Ind., January 15, 1865, to Nettie Cox, a native of that county. They have one child - Christie.

FREDERICK JORNDT, furniture, planing, corn and hominy mills was born in Prussia, January 28, 1837. Came to America in 1852. Resided in Chicago until 1857. Continued to live in Illinois, however, until August, 1861. He then enlisted in company K, Third Illinois Cavalry. Army exposure resulted in loss of his eye sight, and in consequence thereof he was discharged in June, 1863. After leaving the service he resided in Livingston and McLean counties, coming from the latter county to Independence, Kansas, in April, 1870. In November, 1880, he came to Oswego and engaged in present business. He has worked at wood turning, cabinet making, etc., since his youth. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married at Fairbury, Ill., in 1867, to Alta Bradley, a native of Ohio. She died in November, 1875, leaving two children - Ola Maud and Corie Glynn.

ANDREW KAHO, farmer, P.O. Oswego, was born in Edgar county, Ill., in 1848. On February, 1864, he enlisted in Company E, Sixth-sixth Illinois Infantry, and was in the Army of the Tennessee, under General Sherman in the march and campaign of Atlanta, and to the sea, up through South and North Carolina, and finally at the close and grand review at Washington. He was mustered out July 28, 1865, at Springfield, Ill. On July 1, 1866, he emigrated to Oswego, Kan., where he took up a claim and was one of the original thirty-two owners of what is now the city of Oswego. He was married in 1869 to Ara Mentus Mason, a native of Missouri. They have three children - J. Frank, Harry H., Nellie S. Mrs. Kaho's ancestors were from Virginia, and from there went to Tennessee at an early day. Her mother is living in California. Her father died in the regular army at Fort Leavenworth, 1855. His parents were from Ireland. Mr. Kaho and his family are members of the Baptist Church.

HON. E. D. KEIRSEY, Police Judge, was born near McMinnville, Warren Co., Tenn., Junne 5, 1829. That was his home until 1836. He then lived at Edwardsville, Madison Co., Ill., until 1837. Afterward at Alton, Ill., until 1839. He then moved to Bethalto, Ill. He assisted in raising Company K, Eightieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and entered the service as First Lieutenant of that Company, in August, 1862. He was in all the engagements of his command, and in April, 1865, he was mustered out. He returned to Bethalto, Ill., and remained there until 1867, when he removed to Taylorville, Ill., remained there two years, then at Pana, Ill, until he came to Kansas in July , 1871. In September, of that year he located at Montana, Labette Co., and engaged in farming and mercantile business. He was first elected Justice of the Peace in 1872, and has held that office most of the time since. In November, 1879, he located at Oswego, being Under-Sheriff of Labette County until August, 1880. He was appointed Justice of the Peace and Police Judge about that time, and afterwards elected to the same office, serving in those positions at the present time. He also served as Police Judge at Montana, resigning that position when he came to Oswego. He has been a member of the Board of Education of the city of Montana. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge and Chapter, and also of the G. A. R. The Judge was married at Alton, Ill., December 19, 1849, to Jan Y. Harrison, a native of Winchester, Ill. They have three children living - Adelia A., William H. and Juniatta. They have lost three children - Martha J., died in infancy, Robert, died at the age of four years, and Edmund was an infant at the time of his death.

GEORGE S. KING, editor of The Labette County Democrat, is a native of Maryland. In 1859, while yet a young man he emigrated to Illinois, but subsequently removed to Kansas. He is a lawyer by profession, and for several years was one of the editors of the Quincy Herald, a paper published at Quincy, Ill. He also served some time as Secretary of the Quincy, Missouri & Pacific Railroad Company. During his residence in Maryland he was elected to the office of County Attorney, which he resigned to emigrate to Illinois, and on November 7, 1882 was elected County Attorney for Labette County, Kan., on the Democratic ticket, although the county was Republican by a large majority, a result which speaks highly, both as to his personal standing and his hold upon the public confidence.

M. M. KINGSBURY, druggist, is a native of Franklin County, Ind., born October 12, 1839; removed to Henry County, Iowa in 1855. He enlisted in 1861, and was mustered into Company G. Eleventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, September 21, 1861; served in that regiment until the spring of 1863, when he was transferred to the Mississippi Marine Brigade, being a Sergeant in that service. In January, 1865, he was appointed, by Adj. Gen. Thomas, Captain of Company H, Forty-sixth Colored Infantry, and commanded that company until he was mustered out at Little Rock, Ark., February 19, 1886. He returned to Iowa, and in April, 1866, he visited Labette County, Kan., locating in Oswego Township, April 26, 1867; engaged in farming until the spring of 1871, when he removed to this city and engaged in his present business. He was married at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, December 12, 1866, to Lisette C. Cozier, a native of Delaware, Ohio. Mr. Kingsbury's father, George W. Kingsbury, located in Oswego Township in November, 1865, and died here, April 9, 1871.

JOHN L. KINNEAR, contractor and builder, was born in Madison, Jefferson Co., Ind., August 29, 1820. In 1861, he removed to Tipton County, Ind., remaining there and in that vicinity until April, 1868, when he located in Bates county, Mo., where he resided until he came to Oswego, Kan., in October, 1873. Mr. K. is a prominent member of the Presbyterian Church. He was married near Madison, Ind., August 25, 1842, to Elizabeth Delapp, a native of Decatur County, Ind., but reared in Jefferson County. They have five children - Alice V., Martha O., Annie B., Emma D., and Lillie D.

HENRY KLOPP, gardener, was born in Leer, State of Hanover, Germany, in 1821. He emigrated to Milwaukee, Wis., in 1848, where he engaged in paper hanging, painting and gardening. In 1855, he moved to Pekin, Tazewell Co., Ill., following the same business as before. April 18, 1861, he enlisted in the Second Missouri Infantry, and was in the war three years and six months. He participated in seventeen battles and many skirmishes. Pea Ridge, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge and Knoxville were some of the principal battles. September 29, 1864, he was mustered out of the service as Sergeant Major. After a short stay in St. Louis, he made a visit to Germany, returning to Illinois in eleven months after his departure, settling in Dallas City, Hancock County, September 21, 1868, he immigrated to Labette County, Kan., settling in Oswego, where he again followed his occupation as before. He was married to Julia Kulenkamp, of Bremen, by whom he had two children, now deceased. Mrs. K. died in 1857 in Germany, whither she had gone to recover her health. In 1870, he married Mrs. Sarah Sykes, who was a native of Alabama. She died January 16, 1880, in Oswego. Mr. Klopp was one of the early settlers of the town of Oswego, and is well known by all.

ALBERT L. KNIGHT, proprietor of the Oswego House, is a native of Troy, N. H., born December 1, 1838; was reared at Hull, Mass., from the age of four years. His father, Martin Knight, still resides at Hull. Albert came to Missouri in 1861, and in 1863 he decided to return to Massachusetts, but on his way home he enlisted at Rutland, Vt. November 25, 1863, in Company H. Fifth Vermont Volunteer Infantry. He was in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North and South Anne Rivers, Mechanicsville, and was wounded June 3, 1864, at Cold Harbor, but was in active service again October 19, 1864. His regiment led in the battle which broke the rebel lines at Petersburg, Va., just before the surrender of Lee. The last battle he participated in being Sailor's Creek. He was mustered out June 29, 1865. After spending one year in Massachusetts he removed to Laclede County, Mo. locating on a farm near Jericho, remaining there three years. He was then in the employ of the A. & P. R. R. Co. at Pierce City, Mo., until 1873 then for a year was engaged in lead mining in Jasper County, Mo. Afterwards spent two years in Massachusetts; then for six months was at Pierce City again, coming from there to Oswego May 10, 1877, having purchased the Oswego House a few weeks prior to that date. In January, 1880, he began the construction of a commodious brick addition to his hotel, and had it completed and occupied in April of that year. He has a frontage of 125 feet, lots 140 feet in depth. He has thirty-eight rooms in the old and new building combined, including a billiard room, 20x80 feet. He also owns five acres of land in the city, which he is rapidly converting into fruit growing. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. He was married at Chelsea Mass., October 28, 1865, to Catherine Lawrence, a native of Fairfield, Somerset County, Me. They have one child, Martin B. Mr. Knight's father was born in Sudbury, Mass., June 5, 1812. His mother, Bitha (Gould) Knight, was born at Hull, Mass., August 14, 1817. The children are Albert L. (the subject of this sketch), Edward Gould, Eliza Jane, Charles Henry and Winthrop.

[TOC] [part 16] [part 14] [Cutler's History]