|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ATCHINSON - DRAPER).
F. H. ATCHINSON, attorney, is a native of Palmer, Genesee Co. N. Y., born August 24, 1851. From infancy he was reared in Genesee County, Mich., living at Flint and in that vicinity until 1870; he then located in Lee County, Iowa, that being his home until he came to Labette County, Kan., February 14, 1876; he was engaged in teaching school and farming until 1880, when he began the practice of law at Oswego. He was educated at Flint, Mich., and Quincy, Ill., taking a course of instruction at the Commercial College in the latter city, after removing to Iowa. He has served as Justice of the Peace, and has also been a member of the Board of Education of this city; he is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and K. of P. Mr. Atchinson is the owner of a fine farm in Labette County, and in addition to his law practice he does considerable insurance business. He was married in Green Bay Township, Lee Co. Iowa, August 14, 1877 to Lou Davies, a native of the township where he was married; they have three children - Frank H. Jr., Alfred M. and an infant son.
A. H. BAKER, dealer in agricultural implements, is a native of Ohio; was reared at Cincinnati, and graduated from the College of Medicine and Surgery of that city in 1864, with class honors. He was engaged in the practice of his profession in Louisiana for three years, afterwards at St. Louis, until he came to Kansas in January, 1876; he located in Fairview Township, Labette County. In 1877 he went to the Indian Territory; in 1878 he engaged in hardware trade at Oswego, continued that business one year; then for a year he was in dry goods trade here, since then dealing in farm machinery, wagons, carriages, etc.; he also has a fine fruit farm, having a fifty acre peach orchard; In 1882 he raised fourteen car loads of fruit, and shipped to other markets eleven car loads during the season of 1882. He is a member of the Kansas Benevolent Association. The doctor was married in this city in October, 1882, to Fannie L. Macon.
MRS. ANNA BAKER, County Superintendent of Schools, was born in Vermont, September 18, 1832; her maiden name was Anna C. Childs; she is descended from Puritan ancestry; her mother was Fannie Hazelton, died in 1871; her father was Eber Carpenter Childs, died in 1878. Mrs. Baker graduated from Burlington Seminary, Vermont, in 1852; soon after leaving school she taught at Champlain, N. Y., and Waterbury, Vt. In 1856, she went to Alabama and taught in Spring Hill Academy. In 1856, she married Prof. Allan Campbell Baker, of Middle Granville, N. Y. Prof. Baker was born May 10, 1828, and prepared for college at Castleton Seminary, graduating at Middleberry, Vt., in 1850; he then taught at Morrisville Academy until 1853, when he went to Browns Wood University at La Grange, Ga., where he taught chemistry and mathematics, also having classes in Greek and Latin; in 1856, Mr. Baker commenced teaching at Spring Hill Academy, Alabama, where he built up a large and flourishing institution, where boys and girls were educated, and boys were fitted for college; he resigned this place in 1865, and started a school in Artesia, Mis. Soon afterward he sold out his property in Mississippi, and removed to Oswego, in 1868, where he became President of Oswego College, which position he held for several years; afterwards he taught a high school for two years, when he became principal of the public school of Oswego; he resigned by reason of ill health, in 1880, and died November 30, 1881. Mrs. Baker taught with her husband in the South, and after their arrival in Kansas; January 1, 1868, Mrs. Baker took the office of County Superintendent of Schools of Labette County, to which she had previously been elected. Mrs. Baker has five children living - Nellie educated at Oswego, now teaching in Chetopa; George W. a farmer near Oswego; Kate Campbell, Charles Evarts, Fannie Hazelton deceased, and Grace Lillian.
L. BAKER, coal dealer, is a native of Fayetteville, Washington Co., Ark., living there until 1864, when he located near Lawrence, Kan.; resided there until 1868, when he came to Labette County; engaged in farming in Richland Township until 1878. He then removed to Oswego and engaged in his present business. He is a member of the Kansas Mutual Life Association, and is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Baker was married, in Oswego Township, Labette Co., Kan., October 1, 1876, to Emma H. Whitney, a native of Buchanan County, Iowa. They have one child, an infant son.
D. M. BENDER, Sheriff of Labette County, was born at Harrisburg, Pa., November 17, 1843. That was his home until 1860, when he removed to Indiana. In November, 1863, he enlisted in Company I, Twelfth Indiana Cavalry; was in all the engagements of his command from that time until he was mustered out in December, 1865. He was Orderly Sergeant of his company the last year and a half of his service, and came to Kansas in August, 1867, locating on the southeast quarter of Section 13, in Hackberry Township, in Labette County; lived there until 1875, when he removed to Chetopa, engaging in the livery business here; is a miller by trade, and started a mill at Chetopa in 1868, and made the first flour made in Labette County; served two years as Under Sheriff, and in 1879 was elected Sheriff, and elected to the same office in 1881. January 1, 1880, he removed to Oswego, and still resides there. He was the first Justice of the Peace elected in Hackberry Township. He served several years as Deputy United States Marshal. Mr. B. still owns the farm where he first located in this county. He is largely interested in stock raising. He now has a herd of nearly 600 head of cattle. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. He was married near Leesburg, Ind., September 9, 1866, to Eliza A. Beatty, a native of Boone Prairie, where they were married. They have two children - Earl Ross and Lottie Pearl.
FERDINAND BEYLE, undertaker and dealer in furniture, pianos, organs and sewing machines, was born in Baden Baden, Germany, September 29, 1846; came to America in January, 1867. In April, 1868, he located at Oswego, starting the first cabinet shop here. He began work in a 14x16 room, without a roof, and half floored at first. In August of the same year he put up a shop near the corner of Commercial street and Third avenue, size 18x24. He now does a business in an elegant two-story brick building, 25x100, with a warehouse, 20x30, in the rear, a two-story wareroom on Fifth avenue, and workshops on Fourth avenue. Mr. Beyle is a member of the Catholic Church, secretary of the Oswego Cemetery Association, was one of the early members of the I. O. O. F., and for years secretary of the fire company. He began work at the cabinetmaker's trade when fourteen years of age. He was married at Glasgow, Mo., in January, 1870, to Catherine Vossler, a native of that place, but of German descent. They have two children living - Erwin Thomas (born April 26, 1877), and Leo Barnabas (born August 20, 1880). They have lost four children, three of whom died in infancy, and Mary Helen Theresa died at the age of two years.
J. C. BOULTER, dealer in jewelry, books, stationery, etc., is a native of England, born December 31, 1839, but was reared from the age of five years in America - for several years at Alton, Ill. In the fall of 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Thirty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving in that regiment for three years, and participating in all engagements of his command during that period. When he left the army he returned to Alton, and remained there until the fall of 1868, then located at Irving, Ill., being engaged in buying grain there until the fall of 1871, when he came to Oswego. Until the spring of 1874 he was carrying on the grocery and grain trade in this city. He then began the book and stationery business, in the fall of 1880 adding an elegant jewelry stock to the other departments of his business. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and G. A. R. He has served as a member of the Board of Education. Mr. Boulter was married at Bloomington, Ill., December 25, 1872, to Jennie A. Read, a native of New York.
G. C. BOWLUS, of the firm of Smith & Bowlus, grocers, was born in Frederick County, Md., 1851. His parents were born in Maryland, but died in Indiana. Grandparents were from Germany. His mother's ancestors were from England. At the age of ten years Mr. B. came with his parents to Warren County, Ind. After leaving school, he followed the business of farming for several years. He had two brothers, one of whom died in the army; the other now lives on a farm in Indiana. Mr. B in 1878 moved to Kansas, settling on a farm in Cherokee County, three miles east of Oswego, where he lived one year. He then moved to Labette County, and four years afterward to the city of Oswego, where he engaged in the grocery business. He was married in 1872, to Georgiana Ireland of Warren County, Ind., by whom he has two children, India D. and Zamora E., both living with their parents. Mr. B. belonged to a family of twelve children, he being the sixth in age.
J. M. BOWMAN, attorney, is a native of Reading, Pa., born November 21, 1844; removed to Indiana in 1861, and March 18, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Sixtieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Participated in all engagements of his command, except one which occurred near Franklin, La. In April, 1865, he was mustered our, and returned to Indiana, where he was engaged in farming for a period of four years. Read law in the office of Capt. W. P. Rhodes, at Williamsport, Ind., and was admitted to the bar in 1875. Served as Superintendent of Schools in Warren County, Ind., from the spring of 1877 until 1881. Came to Oswego, Kan., July 5, 1881, engaging in the practice of law, doing a real estate and loan business in connection therewith until January 1, 1883, when the present law firm of Perkins, Morrison & Bowman was organized - the senior member of this firm being the Hon. B. W. Perkins, the present member of Congress from this Congressional District, and for several years Judge of this Judicial District. Since this partnership was formed, Mr. Bowman has determined to discontinue the real estate business, giving his entire attention to the practice of law. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge Chapter and Commandery, and is an ancient I. O. O. F. He is a staunch Republican and Prohibitionist. Mr. Bowman was married at Williamsport, Ind., July 6, 1878, to Kate Hunt, a native of Maryland, but reared, from the age of seven years, in Warren County, Indiana.
DAVID BRANSON, wagon manufacturer, was born near Hillsboro, in Highland County, Ohio, December 12, 1821. When only four years of age, his father, Thomas Branson, removed to what is now Grant County, Ind., and laid out the town of Marion, the present county seat of Grant County. David removed to Kingston, Peoria County, Ill., in 1855; worked in the Coal Company's blacksmith shops there four years. In May, 1860, he came to Kansas, locating in the town of Fremont, Lyon County. In November, 1861, he enlisted in Company H. Eighth Kansas Volunteers. In 1862, he was transferred to Ninth Kansas Cavalry, working at blacksmithing while in the army. He was taken sick in the spring of 1864, and was sent to the hospital at Leavenworth, remaining there until he was discharged in July of that year. He then returned to Lyon County, and continued in the blacksmith and wagon-making business there until the spring of 1869, when he came to Oswego. He made the first lumber wagon manufactured in Labette County, and sold it for $115. He also built the first buggy which was made in the county. It is now owned by Howell & Hail, mill men of this place. Mr. B. was a prominent Whig and Anti-slavery man, and since the organization of the Republican party, he has been prominent with that. He has served as Alderman of this city. He was married in Grant County, Ind., to Naomi Stout, a native of Clinton County, Ohio. They have four children - Mary A., now Mrs. Thomas Pruett, of this city; Ruth Ann, now Mrs. Thomas Marsh, of McAllister, Indian Territory; Ella, now Mrs Mason Marsh, of this city; Edna, now Mrs. Edna Thompson, of Garnett Kan.
JESS BROCKWAY, attorney, was born at Jefferson, Schoharie Co., N. Y., Sept. 10, 1852. Was educated at the high school of Saginaw, Mich., and at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Located at Abilene, Kansas, in December, 1869. Came to Oswego April 10, 1873. Read law with F. A. Bettis and was admitted to the bar in 1875. He served two terms as Police Judge of Oswego. Was three years Justice of the Peace, City Attorney two years and Alderman three years. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Mr. B. was married at Oswego, July 18, 1876, to Emma B. Curl, a native of Legonier, Indiana. They have three children, Leone, Mary Belle and Mabel.
J. E. BRYAN, attorney, proprietor of Eagle saw mill, lumber yard, etc., is a native of St. Charles County, Mo., born February 11, 1836. Came to Baxter Springs, Kansas, in October, 1858. Was there and at Chetopa two years, and then located at Council Grove in the fall of 1860. He was a missionary among the Indians for a period of about six years in all. Engaged in farming two years; was County Clerk two years; Register of Deeds two years; then for two years thereafter was a missionary among the Wyandotte Indians. He established the Kansas Family Visitor at Baldwin City and while at that place he was for two years financial agent of Baker University. He first located at Oswego in the spring of 1871, having charge of the Methodist Episcopal Church as pastor one year, then pastor of the Humboldt Methodist Episcopal Church six months, afterward engaging in the real estate and law business at Humboldt. In 1875 and 1876 was Superintendent of Public Instruction in Allen County. He removed to St. Louis in 1877. Remained there eighteen months; then returned to Oswego where he has since resided, being engaged in the practice of law, editorial work, and the manufacture of lumber. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and Kansas Benevolent Association. He was married at Chetopa, September 4, 1860, to Penina, daughter of Dr. George Lisle, the pioneer settler of Chetopa. She is a native of Belmont County, Ohio. They have four children living, all natives of Kansas: Edwin Grant, born at Council Grove; Charles Kellett, born at Quindaro; Birdie, born at Humboldt and Georgia, born at Oswego.
CHARLES R. CAMPBELL, farmer, was born in Kanawha County, Virginia, November 17, 1821. Moved with his parents to Sangamon County, Ill., where he was educated in the common schools. Was married in 1846 to Miss Mary Gibson, by whom he had eight children, two living, a son and daughter, the others dying in infancy. He enlisted in the Seventy-third Illinois Regiment, Company I. Was in the army of the Cumberland, and participated in the engagements of his regiment in Tennessee and Kentucky. In 1864 was discharged on account of disability. He came to Kansas April 6, 1871, and purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres of land, three miles southwest of Oswego. His wife died the 23d of June, 1876. In February, 1878, he married Mrs. Barrick, of Indianola, a widow with one son. He remained on his farm until February, 1883. He then purchased property in Oswego and retired from farming, renting his farm to his son.
SETH M. CANADAY, proprietor blacksmith and wagon shops, is a native of Georgetown, Vermillion County, Ill., born March 26, 1842. In June, 1861, he enlisted in Company A., Twenty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Served with that regiment until December 2, 1862, then re-enlisted in Company C., Fourth United States Cavalry, serving with the latter command until December, 1865, having served four years and a half. After leaving the army he returned to his native county and remained until January, 1868, when he removed to Missouri, living there until he came to Oswego in May, 1870. Remained in this city about four months, then located on a farm on northwest quarter Section nine, in Mount Pleasant Township, Labette County, remaining there eight years, blacksmithing, however, a part of the time, having a shop on his farm. In September, 1878, he again located in the city of Oswego, and he has since carried on an extensive blacksmithing and wagon making shop here. Mr. C. was Justice of the Peace in Mount Pleasant Township. He is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a member of the order of A., F. & A. M. He was married at Georgetown, Ill., September 28, 1868, to Mary C. Jones, a native of that place. They have three children, Minnehaha, Sarah L. and Jennie J.
HON. NELSON CASE, attorney and Probate Judge, was born in Wyoming County, Pa., April 22, 1845. Before he was a year old his parents removed with their family to Paw Paw, Lee Co., Ill. Nelson was educated at the Paw Paw Academy and at Clark Seminary, Aurora, Ill. Graduated at the Illinois Normal University, in June, 1866. The next year had charge of the public schools at Tolona, Ill. Then entered law department of Michigan University, where he graduated in March, 1869, from the law department, also pursuing a number of special literary studies at that institution, while a student there. In May, 1869, he located at Oswego, Kan., where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. In the spring of 1870, he was elected Justice of the Peace, and held that office two years. He served as City Clerk and City Attorney several years. He has been City Superintendent of Schools, and is now a member of the School Board, having been connected therewith most of the time since 1871, being for the last four years President of the Board. In July, 1880, he was appointed Probate Judge, and was elected to the same position in November of that year, and re-elected in November, 1882. He has been President of the Labette County Historical Society since its organization, July 16, 1878. He was one of the organizers of the Oswego Library Association, and has been Chairman of the Executive Committee from its organization. The Judge has always been a teetotaler and a strong prohibitionist. While the old dram-shop law was in force he always opposed granting license, and the records show that the contests were of en[sic] exciting ones. The Judge is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. While an active promoter of all church work, his energies have more especially been directed to the furtherance of the Sunday-school enterprise. He has been Superintendent of the First Methodist Episcopal Sunday school of Oswego for the past thirteen years, and has maintained in connection therewith teachers' meetings. Normal classes and all those appliances calculated to promote the efficiency of the work. He has for eight years past been President of the Fourth District Sunday-school Association, besides being an active worker in the county and State associations. He is one of the Trustees of Baker University. He was married at Attica, Ind., February 22, 1872, to Mary E. Claypool, a native of that place. They have an adopted daughter - Lydia Blanche.
C. M. CONDON, banker, is a native of Schenectady, N.Y. Has lived here since 1868. Has been engaged in mercantile, banking, coal-mining, railway and other enterprises, and is one of the leading business men of the State.
H. C. COOK, Clerk of the District Court, was born in Fulton Township, Lancaster Co., P., April 22, 1843; lived there until the spring of 1858, then left home and spent three years in various parts of the country, visiting thirteen States during that period, locating in 1861 at Delavan, Tazewell Co., Ill. In September of the same year he enlisted in Company H. Fourth Illinois Cavalry; after serving about nine months, he was discharged on account of disability caused by sickness. Returning to Tazewell County, he remained there most of the time until he came to Elm Grove Township, Labette Co., Kan., in March, 1872; resided there about three years, since which time he has held the office of Clerk of the District Court. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, Chapter, and Commandery and of the G. A. R. Mr. Cook was married at McLean, McLean Co., Ill., December 15, 1869, to Allenette Dillon, a native of Tremont, Tazewell Co., Ill. They have four children living - Allen M, Arthur H., Leila and Mabel. Lost one son, Henry Lester, who died at the age of thirteen months.
WILLIAM COOK, proprietor of Eagle Mills, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., December 15, 1837, removing from there to Johnson County, Kan., April 17, 1859. In 1860 he went to Colorado, and in September, 1861, he enlisted in the Second Colorado Infantry, which was afterward a cavalry regiment. He was mustered out in December, 1864, at Ft. Leavenworth, Kan. After leaving the army he was for several years engaged in the Texas cattle trade, making his headquarters at Kansas City, during the winters of those years. From 1870 to March, 1877, he lived in Elm Grove Township, Labette County, then moved to Chetopa, where he dealt in stock, removing from there to Oswego. After one summer devoted to the butchering and live stock business, he engaged in milling, which he has since continued until May, 1883. His mill was known as the Oswego corn and feed mill. Since that time he has been engaged in the manufacture of flour, meal, etc., and changed the name to "The Eagle Mills." Mr. Cook is a member of the I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W. and G. A. R. He was married at Kansas City, Mo., March 19, 1874, to Catherine Colvin, a native of Ohio. They have four children-John E., Fred W., Stella L. and an infant daughter.
L. S. CRUM, Postmaster, is a native of Floyd County, Ky., Born October 20, 1845. His home was at Paris, Edgar Co., Ill., from 1852 to December 1867. Came to Oswego then was engaged in the real estate operations, stock dealings, etc., until 1873, when he engaged in the newspaper business - re-established the Oswego Register, which he conducted for two years. In April 1876 he was appointed Postmaster, and was re-appointed in 1880. He enlisted in July, 1862, in Company A. Seventy-ninth Illinois Volunteers Infantry; was captured by the rebels at the battle of Stone River; was a prisoner at Libby Prison, Richmond, Va,; he took part in the battles at Liberty Gap, the day after he was exchanged; he was wounded at the battle of Chickamauga, September 19, 1863, but served until July 1865. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., K. of P. and G. A. R. Mr. C. was married, in Bates County, Mo., June 19, 1879, to Luella Murdoch, a native of Franklin County, Mo. They have one child - Mayo.
B. RUSH CUNNINGHAM, A. M., was born in Jackson County, Tenn., July 30, 1836. His father, Dr. J. J. Cunningham, originally from South Carolina, and his mother with Rush, a lad twelve years of age, and his three younger brothers, William, Joseph and John, changed their residence to Jefferson County, Ill., in 1848. William is an army invalid and pensioner. Rev. Dr. Joseph passed through the army service unhurt, and he is now a member of the Southern Illinois Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, John was killed at the battle of Stone River. Their sister, Lizzie, born in Illinois, was married after the war to Capt. Frank L. Ferguson, and their mother now resides with Capt. Ferguson, in Mount Vernon, Jefferson Co., Ill. The Dr. J. J. Cunningham died in 1872. Prof. B. R. Cunningham was educated mostly at McKendree College in Illinois, and graduated at Iowa Wesleyan University, in 1858 with an education directing him both to the ministry of the gospel and the practice of medicine. In September, 1858, he came to Baldwin City, Kansas, and organized at that place the Wesleyan Institution, Baker University. He had local charge of that school for three years; editorial charge of a newspaper published at Baldwin City; and the superintendency of schools in Douglas County. He was also a member of the Kansas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church for some time previous to the war and while he was in connection with the University. Prof. Cunningham entered into the Union Cavalry service in the last war with a company of former acquaintances in Illinois, each of whom furnished horse and outfit. He was early wounded and prostrated by army sickness. After tedious recovery in General Hospital at Bird's Point, Mo., he was transferred by General Hallack, at the request of Dr. Owen M. Long, Major in Eleventh Illinois Infantry, to the medical service in which he remained and served with Dr. Long, in the field and in general hospital, till his three years of army service were completed. After leaving the army, Prof. Cunningham married Miss Bettie Martin, daughter of Maj. H. Wood Martin, then agent of the Sac and Fox Indians, at their agency in Kansas. Maj. H. Wood Martin was one of the earliest settlers of the central part of Kansas, Shawnee County, and was known as a prominent man and representative at Topeka. The Major is spending this summer at Eureka Springs, Ark., though his home is and has been for several years in Labette County. Mrs. Cunningham's earlier years being at Topeka, or near there, she has kept up her love of acquaintance with early friends and her interest in the rapid growth of that place, more than any other in the state. In 1864, Prof. C. took charge of the Leavenworth High School; soon established a drug store in that city; and served some time as Civil Engineer. But he closed his business in the north part of the State in 1869 and went to Labette County in the southern part of the State. Here he did much work in private and general surveyings; but settled the next year in Montgomery County which adjoins Labette on the west. He served Montgomery County for a few years as surveyor and superintendent of schools; served the at the Topeka Cemetery, in the year 1869.
DANIEL H. DAVID, furniture dealer, was born at Buchanan Station, Jefferson Co., Ind., December 26, 1830, was reared in Switzerland County from infancy until about twelve years of age, then in Holt County, Mo., two years then went to Madison, Ind., and was employed as a cabin boy on the first packet boat which ran between Madison, Ind. and Louisville, Ky. In 1850 he became pilot, being the youngest pilot on the Ohio River. In 1851 he went to Salt Lake City and California, where he was engaged in mining, and returned in November 1854. He was afterward in Madison, Ind., in the livery business, and Holt County, Mo. in agriculture, Mound City Ill., Brookston, Ind., being in Holt county, Mo. when the war broke out. He and four of his brothers, Milton, Jonathan, Robert G. and Lewis S., constituted fire of the seven union men in Dallas Township, Holt County, but he raised an independent company of cavalry and commanded the company; and afterward was elected Major of the Wild Cat Rangers, which were the terror of the rebels, until they were disbanded in September, 1861. The Major then took the position of Captain of Company D; Third Battalion Missouri Militia Cavalry, serving in that company until February 11, 1862 he then recruited Company D, Fifth Missouri Cavalry, was mustered out July 22, 1863 and immediately proceeded to Leavenworth to meet United States Senator, James H. Lane and General James G. Blunt, prominent Union men. He assisted in raising the Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry and was elected senior Major of the regiment. In January 1864 he was elected Lieutenant Colonel of the regiment, but in consequence of the difficulties which he had with Thomas Moonlight he left the service having spent over $3,000 in recruiting and organizing the regiment. The Major was for a short time engaged in raising cotton in Arkansas, and again for four years he ran on the river as pilot; afterward for several years he was engaged in mercantile business at Cincinnati, Ohio and Kirksville Mo., and was for about one year on a farm and then traveled in different parts of the country until August, 1876, when he came to Oswego. He was engaged in farming and circus business until 1878 and was then for six months in the grocery trade, since then he has been carrying on an extensive furniture business except during a few months in 1882 that he was not in trade. The Major is a member of the I. O. O. F. Washington Lodge No. 11, a Madison, Ind. He is also connected with the A., F. & A. M., A. O. U. W., K of P. and G. A. R. He has served as Alderman of the First Ward of the city of Oswego. The Major's first wife was Miss Maggie Cotter, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio. She died leaving one child - Maggie Prudence, who was born at Kirksville, Adair Co., Mo. His present wife was Mattie A. Monroe, a native of Madison, Ind. They were married at that place May 25, 1873.
ROBERT O. DEMING, real estate and loan agent, was born at Potsdam, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., July 24, 1860. He is a son of A. N. and Julia A. Deming, who removed with their family to Kansas late in July, 1871. Robert resided one year in Arkansas City, Cowley County; two years at Winfield and eight years at Wichita. While at the latter place he was employed as a clerk in a store for three years; one year in hotel and with Kansas State bank and Lombard Mortgage Company two years. In September he came to Oswego and engaged in his present business being associated with C. F. Winton. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge and Chapter and of the K. of P. His parents removed to Little Rock, Ark. in March, 1883, and are residents of that city now.
M. S. DOUGLASS, carpenter, contractor and builder, is a native of Nashville, Washington Co., Ill., born April 26, 1841, resided there twelve years, afterward at Brunswick, Mo., six years, and two years he was employed on the river. He learned his trade at Belleville, Ill., and at St. Louis, and has worked at the trade since he was twenty years of age. He was in the army about eighteen months, but not in the field as a soldier. He located in Oswego Township, two and a half miles north of the city, February 14, 1869, having arrived in the State in January of the same year. In the fall of 1870 he removed to the city of Oswego, and engaged in contracting and building, his first contact being for the erection of a furniture store, the Libby building; the next was M. V. B. Bennett's printing office; afterward built the court house, masonic hall, city hall, and a number of the most prominent business buildings, many residences, among which are houses for Hon. Nelson Case, Samuel Fisher, O. R. Symmes, Charles Campbell, the latter being in the country. F. C. Helsell was associated with him as a partner from 1873 to 1877. Mr. D. has probably had the contracts for at least one-half of the principal buildings erected since he began business here. During the busy seasons he keeps from five to eight men constantly employed. He is a member of A., F. & A. M.., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He has served as Alderman and member of the Board of Education. Mr. Douglass was married at Nashville, Ill., January 1, 1867, to Minerva J. Crane, a native of that place. They have three children - Orell, Ralph and Eppa.
H. C. DRAPER, hardware merchant and manufacturer of brick and drain tile, was born at Ashley, Pike county, Mo., April 2, 1840. Came to Oswego in September, 1869. Was engaged in the grocery trade here for about eight years. In the spring of 1879 he engaged in the hardware business. He has recently started a steam-power mill for the manufacture of drain tile, and is working ten hands. The factory is situated about three miles east of Oswego, in Lola Township, Cherokee Co. Mr. Draper was married in Boles Township, Franklin Co., Mo., April 29, 1875, to Annie E. Murdock, a native of St. Charles County, Mo. They have two children - John M. and Julia. Mr. D. is a member of the Christian Church.
J. B. DRAPER, M. D., is a native of Ashley, Pike Co., Mo., born October 28, 1842. Was a student at Watson's Seminary, Ashley, Mo., and lead medicine at Louisiana, Mo. Graduated from the Rush Medical College in February, 1868, began practice at Louisiana, Mo., remaining there most of the time until he came to Oswego in December, 1869. He is one of the members of the Oswego Board of Health, and is a member of the Southeastern Kansas Medical Society. He was United States Pension Surgeon several years, and has also served as County Physician. He is considered one of the most skillful surgeons in Southern Kansas. He was married at Eureka, Greenwood Co., Kan., to Lucy Phenis, a native of Liberty, Ind. They have two children - Henry and Albert. The doctor has one son, Arthur Clinton, by a former marriage.