|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (LATHROP - PURVIANCE).
NEWTON H. LATHROP, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Oswego, was born in Leeper County, Mich., in 1838. Mr. Lathrop enlisted in Company F. First Michigan Cavalry, and served under Pope, Banks, Custer and others in Western Virginia and Shenandoah Valley. He was mustered out on August 21, 1864 at Harper's Ferry.
T. F. LAWRENCE, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Oswego, was born in Washington County, Ky. His parents were born and resided in the same State. His mother died in 1847; his father is still living in Knox County, Ind. Mr. Lawrence enlisted in Company E. Sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, October 14, 1861, and was discharged September 22, 1864, by reason of the expiration of his term of service. He was married on June 26, 1854, to Mary Elizabeth Grow, of Davis County, Ind. She was born May 13, 1837, in Davis County. They have ten children - George W., born July 19, 1857; William G. September 5, 1859; Sarah Anna, February 4, 1852; Ameila Edith, May 19, 1865; Thomas Elmer, June 14, 1867; Cany, December 30, 1870; Alice, April 27, 1873; Amanda C., November 1, 1875; Minnie May, June 29, 1878; Samuel Fisher, December 30, 1879. George is married to Fannie Eaton, and lives in Oswego. Annie is married to William Byeum and lives in Oswego; Amelia to Benjamin Williams and lives in Davis County, Ind. Mrs. Lawrence's father, Mr. Grow, is living in Indiana, at the age of eighty-four.
ALEXANDER MACKIE, contractor and builder, was born in Petershead. Aberdeenshire, Scotland, February 3, 1812. Came to America in 1836, and resided for a few months at Toronto, Canada, then in Buffalo far a while, afterward for several years in Canada and later in Ohio, coming from Ohio to Oswego, Kas., in the spring of 1869. Six months after locating here he engaged in his present business, since which time he has been contracting extensively. He built the Presbyterian church and has done the inside finishing to several other houses of worship, besides building churches at Kingston and Montana this county, and he has erected several schoolhouses in this vicinity. He has been prominently identified with the various temperance societies and movements. He has been an elder in the Presbyterian Church of this city for the last twelve years. Mr. Mackie was first married at Dundas, Canada, January 30, 1847, to Isabel Weal, a native of Maxwell Town, Dumfries, Scotland. She died May 12, 1868, leaving five children, Alexander, Robert, Andrew Weal, Thomas Hope and William. The oldest, Alexander, died October 27, 1874. Mr. Mackie was married at Wooster, Ohio, in November, 1869, to Sarah M. Mackee, deceased. She was born in Philadelphia, Juniata Co., Pa., But reared near Wooster, Ohio, in November, 1869, to Sarah M. Mackee, deceased. She was born in Philadelphia, Juniata Co., Pa., but reared near Wooster, Ohio.
W. F. MAGUIRE, druggist, was born in Fleming County, Ky., and came from his native county to Fort Scott in 1873. Came to Oswego the following year. He has been connected with the drug business all the time he has been here. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and Excelsior Fire Company. Mr. Magnire was married at Elizaville, Fleming Co., Ky., April 23, 1873, to Anna Belt, a native of that place. They have two children, Hallie B. and Lola B.
H. G. MILLER, of the firm of H. G. Miller & Son, proprietors of the Oswego Flouring Mills, was born in Cambria County, Pa., February 6, 1824, and came to Osage Mission, Kas., in the spring of 1871, having lived several years in Illinois and Iowa, prior to coming to Kansas. After locating in this State he worked for several years as head miller in the Mission mills, running them until 1878, when he came to Oswego and purchased the Oswego City Mills. He has been engaged in the milling business for thirty years. He was married in Keokuk, Lee Co., Iowa, in 1849, to Rebecca A. Burt, a native of Illinois. They have nine children, Matthew, Stephen, Adeline, Thomas, Mary, Jennie, Frank, Annie and Charles, the two youngest being twins.
STEPHEN B. MILLER, of the firm of H.G. Miller & Son, is a native of Nauvoo, Hancock Co., Ill., born October 16,1855. Resided in Illinois, and Keokuk, Iowa, until he came to Kansas about thirteen years ago, locating at Osage Mission, where he resided until he came to Oswego, over five years ago. He has been engaged in the milling business since 1874. He and his father are proprietors of the Oswego Flouring Mills, which have a capacity of 100 barrels of flour and 150 bushels of corn meal per day, twenty-four hours. Their shipments of flour are principally to Texas and the Indian Territory.
J. B. MONTGOMERY, merchant, born in Newberry District, South Carolina August 30, 1840. Was reared in Bedford County, Tenn., from the age of four years. He moved from Tennessee September, 1874, to Los Angeles, Cal. Remained there but a shout while. From thence to Oswego the same year, in October, 1874, when he removed to Oswego, Kansas. After coming here he was connected with Samuel Carpenter in the mercantile business until 1876. Since then has been alone in business. He deals extensively in dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats, caps, etc., carrying a very complete stock. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., being treasurer of Adams Lodge, No. 63. He is also City Treasurer. He has served as Alderman of the Second Ward. Mr. M. was married at Farmingron, Marshall Co., Tenn. March 15, 1866, to Mary E. Temple, a native of that county. They have six children, Ada Belle, Mary E., Jannie E., Myrtle, William B. and Clair L.
J. H. MORRISON, attorney, was born at Newton Hamilton, Mifflin Co., Pa., April 23, 1850. When he was quite young his parents removed with their family to Bureau County, Ill., remaining there until 1858, then located in Fulton county, Ill., where he was educated. He read law with John A. Gray, and was admitted to the bar in 1878. Practiced in Fulton County until he came to Oswego, in July, 1880. January 1, 1883, he became a member of the present law firm of Perkins, Morrison and Bowman, Hon. B. W. Perkins and J. M. Bowman being associated with him. He was married at Burlington, Iowa, January 4, 1877, to Louise C. Carithers, a native of Fulton County, Ill. They have two children; Maud, born in Illinois, and Ralph, born at Oswego. Mr. M. is a member of the A. O. U. W.
MOSHER & HARDING, insurance, real estate and loan agents. This firm does a general local and district fire and life insurance business, representing the Providence Washington, of Rhode Island; German, of Freeport, Ill.; Fire Insurance Association of London, Eng,; Standard, of London, Eng,; Boston Underwriters; American Fire, of Philadelphia; National, of Harford; Farm Department of the Phoenix Fire, of Brooklyn; Travelers' Life and Accident, of Hartford, and of the Provident Aid Society Mutual, of Oswego. Robert Mosher was born in Hyde Park Township, Dutchess Co., N. Y. September 23, 1850. When he was sixteen years of age he removed to Lansing, Mich., and that was his home until 1872, when he located at Saginaw Valley, Mich., where he resided until 1877. Afterwards in Nebraska and Iowa about one year. Then came to Kansas, locating at Parsons, where he was engaged for two years in the manufacture of brick. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and K. of P., being Vice Chancellor of the latter lodge, J. S. Harding is a native of Pennsylvania. Removed from Joplin, Mo., to Oswego in the spring of 1882, having been in Kansas prior to that date, however. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., K. of P. and G. A. R.
W. SMITHSON NEWLON, M. D., is a native of Paris, Edgar Co., Ill., born April 11, 1830, received an academic education, graduated from the medical department of the Iowa University, spent, four years in California, from the age of twenty-one, to twenty-five years, then located in Cass County, Iowa where he served as County Superintendent of Schools, Justice of the Peace and several other offices, being active in the development of the material interests of that county, opening roads, building schools, etc., being particularly identified with the advancement of educational matters. He was Lieutenant of a company which was organized in Cass County, to resist a rebel invasions from Missouri. He also assisted in raising the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He was a member of one of the first Union leagues which was organized in Cass County. During the war he located in Hancock County, Ill., where he practiced medicine until May, 1867, when he came to Oswego, and engaged in practice since that time. Has also carried on the drug business from 1869 until March 1, 1883. He was the first M. E. H. P., of Oswego Chapter A., F. & A. M., and was junior warden of Adams Lodge A., F. & A. M. He has also been connected with the County Agricultural Society, and was one of the early members of the Oswego Town Company. He built the first frame residence in Oswego, organized the first public school, etc. Probably no man in the State has been more actively engaged in geological, botanical and scientific researches than Dr. Newlon. He collected the plants of Southern Kansas for the State Agricultural Society, and many scientists and schools have these plants among their collections. He claims to have made the first predictions that lead would be found at Shout Creek or in that Township, and at Carl Junction, Mo. He has made several discoveries of new plants, which are of great benefit to the medical world, and he has given to them the benefit of these important discoveries. He also has re-discovered some valuable plants, which were lost. Frank A. Stevens, a stepson, has succeeded the Doctor in the drug business, and manufactures many valuable remedies from Dr. Newlon's formulas. The Doctor has a very extensive and valuable collection of botanical and geological specimens, and also a cabinet containing a great many insects which exists in this latitude. He was first married at Dallas City, Hancock Co., Ill., in February, 1857, to Maria Wimp. She died at Oswego, in 1869, leaving four children - Charles S., now a physician in practice at Altamont, Kas., Clara B., Jessie and Grace M. In March, 1872, the Doctor married Mrs. M. L. Stevens, his present wife, a native of Utica, N. Y. They have two children living - William Bliss and St. John. Mre. Newlon has one son by a former marriage - Frank S. Stevens. His father, Capt. Samuel Stevens, was killed at Petersbutrg, Va., June 19, 1864, while in discharge of his duties as a Colonel and soldier. In connection with the sketch of Dr. Newlon, it should be stated that he is a frequent contributor to the medical and scientific men and magazines of the age, and he makes geology and botany a constant study. He was one of the first Trustees of the First Congregational Church - Trustees elected May 10, 1868. First Pastor Thomas H. Caufield named July 12, 1868. Original membership of the organization was thirteen, now has about thirty members. At the present time Dr. Newlon is the oldest constant resident of Oswego. Has secured a competence and his home is a resort for men of letters, morals, temperance, reform and religion.
U. ORSBORN, Justice of the Peace, was born in Madison County, Ohio, in 1826. He removed with his parents to Illinois in 1839. Where he resided until 1873. Mr. Orsborn's father was born in New Jersey in 1773, and was a soldier with Gen. St. Clair in the Indian war, in which St. Clair was defeated at what is now Greenville, Ohio, in 1791. Afterward he was with Gen. Wayne and Gen. Harrison; he was also a soldier of the war of 1812, participating in all of the important engagements on the northern frontier. Esq. Orsborn was also a soldier, having enlisted under Gen. Scott. He was engaged in the campaign from Vera Cruz to the city of Mexico, participating in all the battles, including Chepultapec, Cherubusco, Molino del Rey, etc. He received his early training in Clay, Effingham, and Edgar counties, Ill.; in 1873, he removed to Oswego, Kan,; in 1881 he was appointed by Governor St. John to fill a vacancy in the office of Justice of the Peace. In 1882 was elected to the same office. Was married in 1850 to Miss L. McCoy of Illinois, by whom he has two children - Orlando W., and Lorenzo F.
JOHN OVERDEAR, farmer, P. O. Oswego, was born in Richland County, December 13, 1821. His father came from Pennsylvania, and his earlier ancestors from Germany. He received a good common school education, and was married on March 11, 1845. He emigrated to Branch County, Mich., where he settled on a farm and lived ten years, and removed to Grundy County, Iowa, where he was instrumental in securing the county seat at Grundy Centre in 1856. He and another man having laid out the town, he sold out in the fall of 1857, and purchased 500 acres of land in Bates County, Mo., on which he resided until 1861, when he enlisted in the Third Kansas Infantry, and afterwards was First Lieutenant of Company E. First Kansas Colored Infantry. He was in the campaigns in Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas, and was mustered out in 1864. He then went to Baldwin City, Kan., remaining there until 1866, when he returned to his farm in Missouri, and found his buildings burned and property destroyed. He then sold his land there, and came to Labette County, settling on a farm on a branch of Labette Creek, three and one half miles southwest of Oswego. His land is of the best quality, and his home is surrounded with shade and fruit trees. Mr. O. was married in Richland County, Ohio, to Lucy Ann Taggart, who was born in 1825,in Licking County, Ohio, and whose ancestors were from Pennsylvania. They have four children - Sarah Ann, married to Michael Hadrick of Butler County, Mo.; Dolly, married to Thomas Potter of Oswego; Etta M., and Gabrillia. Mr. O. has been a member of the Christian church for forty years. During the war he probably run off more slaves then any other man in the West.
JAMES PARNELL, farmer, P. O. Oswego, was born in Westmorland County, England, in 1835, and came with his parents to Massilon, Ohio. Soon afterwards, in 1844, they moved to Pulaski County, Ind., and from thence to Iowa in 1856, and to Kansas, settling on a farm two miles southwest of Oswego, January, 1875. He was married to Elizabeth Hurst of Wayne County, Ohio, whose parents were natives of Pennsylvania. They have nine children - Clara, married to Mr. Calahan of Cherokee County, Sherman, Mary, Amy, Alice, Henry, Neosho, James, and John. Mr. Parnell purchased 395 acres of fine land,, on which he has erected good buildings and planted orchards and shade trees. He sells each year large quantities of the finest fruits. He also has timber and stone for building purposes. He has been greatly prospered since coming to Southern Kansas, and is now the largest taxpayer in the township.
J. C. PATTERSON, wagon maker, was born in Montgomery County, Ky., February 14, 1831. He was removed to St. Louis when he was quite young; was there a few years, then at Rushville, Schuyler Co., Ill., where he remained until he was fifteen years of age; afterward he was employed on the river boats for some time. When he was twenty years of age be began learning the trade of wagon maker. Resided in Missouri and Adams County, Ill., several years. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, Seventy-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; was in all the battles of his command; never was wounded or taken prisoner; served until June, 1865, when he was mustered out. After leaving the army he returned to Adams County, Ill., remaining there until he came to Emporia, Kan., in the spring of 1869: remained there only a few weeks, then came to Oswego, where he has since resided, doing a fine business. Mr. Patterson is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and G. A. R.
J. W. PATRICK, editor and proprietor of the Oswego Republican, was born in Allen County, Ohio January 19, 1837, and was reared on a farm and for some years was engaged in agriculture. He enlisted in the Ninety-ninth Ohio Regiment, August 11, 1862. After serving a short time he returned home and organized the One Hundred and Fifty-first Ohio Regiment, of which he was Captain, in command at Fort Bavard, and during the summer of 1865, was in command of Company B. One Hundred and Ninety-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was mustered out of the service September 1, 1865. In 1869, he emigrated to Kansas and settled on a claim in Labette County. In November, 1871, was elected Register of Deeds, which office he filled continuously up to 1882. In 1881 he embarked in the field of journalism, establishing the Oswego Republican in company with H. R. Brookes, and is now the sole editor and proprietor of that paper and is engaged in its publication.
HON. BISHOP W. PERKINS, is a native of Rochester, Lorain Co., Ohio, where he was born October 18, 1842. He was educated in the public schools and at Knox College, Galesburg, Ill. After leaving college he spent two years in Colorado. In July, 1862, having returned from Colorado, he enlisted in Company D. Eighty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was one of the sergeants of his company until after the battle of Stone River. He was then detailed to act as Lieutenant and to assist in the command of a company of picked mounted men for special guerrilla duty, and continued to assist in command thereof until December, 1863, when he was appointed Adjutant of the Sixteenth Colored Infantry, afterward appointed Captain by the Adjutant General of the army, and assigned to duty as Captain of Company C. Sixteenth Colored Infantry. He was for a year Acting Adjutant General of the post of Chattanooga, and served as Judge Advocate on the staff of Gen. Gillem and also in same position on the staff of Gen. Steadman. He was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn., in May, 1866; returned to Illinois and resumed the study of law, reading with Hon. O. C. Gray, of Ottawa. Was admitted to the bar in 1867, and the same year located at Pierceton, Ind., where he remained until he came to Oswego, Labette Co., Kan., in April, 1869. That spring he was appointed County Attorney, and held that position until his successor was elected (he having declined the nomination for the office), although he served as Assistant Attorney during the ensuing year. He was elected Probate Judge in November, 1870, and held that office until he was appointed District Judge of the Eleventh Judicial District in February, 1873. In November of the same year he was elected to that office. He was re-elected in 1874, and again in 1878, and elected a member of Congress in November, 1882. Early in the winter of 1871-72 he became editor and proprietor of the Oswego Register and conducted it with ability until about the time he was appointed District Judge. He was delegate to the Chicago Convention in 1880; is a member of several secret societies, and has at all times been prominent and active in all movements looking to the development of his corner of the State. He is a Republican in politics, sincere in his convictions, aggressive in his expressions, and temperate in his habits. He is President of the Board of Trustees of a female college, building at Oswego under the auspices of the Presbyterian Church of the State. Liberal and public spirited, he is at all times ready to do that which will contribute to the growth and honor of Kansas
FRED, PERKINS, farmer, P. O. Oswego, came to Kansas in the spring of 1870, and located on a farm one mile south of Oswego. He has followed the business of farming and stock raising ever since he came to Kansas. He has now between 500 and 600 acres of excellent land in the county of Labette. Mr. Perkins was born in Berkshire County, Mass., in 1845. His parents are both living in Massachusetts. His father stays a large portion of his time in Oswego. The family trace their ancestry back to a Mr. Perkins who came over from England in 1635, and also 200 years prior to that time. He received a liberal education at the Michigan University. In the fall of 1869 he was married to Mary E. May, of Woodstock, Conn. She was born in the same town in 1845, and was educated at Wilbraham, Mass. Her parents are both deceased. They have three children living-Charles Snow, Kate Sarepta, and Lizzie May. Mr. Perkins is very prosperous in his business and surroundings.
HON. N. M. PURVIANCE, attorney, was born near Sinclairsville, Belmont Co., Ohio, July 12, 1839. He was educated at Franklin College, Athens, Harrison Co., Ohio, and began the study of law at Cadiz, Ohio, after leaving college; pursued his law studies one year, then enlisted (in August, 1862) in Company C, Ninety-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving in that company until he was mustered out in June, 1865, first as a private, later as Sergeant. When he left the army he returned to Ohio and resumed the study of law in the office of Judge Mcilvaine, at New Philadelphia. He was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1865, and began practice at Canal-Dover, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, remaining there until the spring of 1866, when he removed to Beardstown, Cass Co, Ill., where he continued to practice until August, 1872, the time of his location at Oswego, since which time he has been engaged in law business here. He has served one year as Police Judge, and has been a member of the Board of Education. He was married at Pineville, Pike Co., Ill., in November, 1870, to Emma B. McPherson, a native of Jacksonville, Ill. They have five children living - Lulle M., Charles Walter, Almata Alice, and Nathan; lost one son, William Arthur, who died at the age of eight months. The Judge is a member of the A. O. U. W.