|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (SCHEBLE - VAN SCOTER).
A. E. SCHEBLE, M. D., homoeopathic physician and surgeon, was born in Westfield, Morrow Co., Ohio, September 25, 1847. Finished his literary studies at Capitol University, at Columbus, Ohio, and in 1870 he graduated from the Cleveland Homoeopathic Medical College, and began practice at Toledo, Ohio, where he remained six years; afterward was located at Fort Worth, Tex., where he remained until he came to Parsons, in October, 1879. While in Ohio, he was a member of the State Homoeopathic Medical Society. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., and the American Legion of Honor.
HENRY SCHMITZ, dairyman, Fourteenth street, Parsons, was born in Prussia, in 1830. He was brought up on a farm, and educated in the schools of his native land. At the age of twenty, he came to America and settled near Madison, Wis. They have had six sons and four daughters, of whom five sons and three daughters are living. John, the eldest, born August 27, 1858, is in the wholesale jewelry business on Johnson avenue, Parsons; the second son, J. A. P., born July 25, 1862, is a partner in the same business; the third son Girard, born October, 1864, is working on a railroad in Texas; the fourth, Charles J., born October 4, 1866, and the fifth, Henry, February 28, 1867, live with their parents and attend school. The eldest daughter, Gertie, born July 10, 1860; the second, Mary Kate, born February 2, 1872, and the third, Sophia Agnes, born June 2, 1874, live under the parental roof. Mr. Schmitz moved from the farm to Sauk City, in 1866. October, 1871, he emigrated to Osage Mission, Kan., living there until 1875, when he removed to Parsons, Kan. Mr. Schmitz and his sons have been very successful in their business since coming to Kansas. They are all members of the Catholic Church.
T. M. SEATON, United States Railway Postal Clerk, was born at Hardinsburg, Breckenridge County, Ky., June 30, 1840; lived there until he was nine years of age, afterward at Monmouth, Ill., until 1860, then removed to Kentucky, remaining there one year, then located in Chicago, where he lived until April, 1862, when he enlisted in the Eighteenth Regiment, United States Infantry, serving with that regiment until May, 1865, except during a period of nineteen months spent in the rebel prisons. He wounded September 20, 1863, and was then taken prisoner, and was at Richmond, Va., two months, six months at Danville, and eleven months at Andersonville. After he left the service, he returned to Chicago, and in 1866, removed to Blandinsville, McDonough Co., Ill., living there until 1870, then removed to Smithton, Mo., where he resided until he came to Parsons, in November, 1872. He was engaged in the drug business until he was appointed clerk in the Railway Mail Service in 1878; first running on the M., K. & C. R. R. for one year, then on the M., K. & T. R. R., between Parsons and Sedalia. He served one year as a member of the School Board, of Parsons. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., K. of P. and A. O. U. W. Mr. Seaton was married at Blandville, Ill., August 15, 1866, to Anna Michaels, a native of Monmouth, Ill. They have five children - Millie, Mattie K., Lizzie, Annie T. and Maggie.
JAMES SHONE, foreman of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company's blacksmith shops at Parsons, was born at Manchester, England, December 19, 1847. Came to America with his parents, Samuel and Elizabeth Shone, when he was a child. They located at St. Louis, living there eighteen years. He has worked at his trade since he was fourteen years old, and for the last twelve years he has been in the employ of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company. Came to Parsons, Kan., May 20, 1877. Since January, 1883, he has held his present position in the shops. He was married in Canton, Mo., in September, 1871, to Mary A. Moore, a native of St. Louis. They have three children - Mary Elizabeth, Ellen and George G. Mr. Shone is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
HON. WALTER L. SIMONS, lawyer, was born near Mr. Vernon, Ohio, May 28, 1837. He was educated in the common schools and academies of his native county. Read law with Delano, Sapp & Smith, at Mr. Vernon, Ohio, where he was admitted to the bar in August, 1858. Began practice in his native place, and was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Knox County, Ohio, in 1864 and re-elected in 1866; coming from there to Osage Mission, Kan., in February, 1871, where he resided until October, 1879, when he came to Parsons. In the spring of 1872 he was elected Mayor of the city of Osage Mission. In the fall of 1872, he was elected State Senator from Neosho County, and was re-elected to the same office in 1874. He was one of the Hayes electors in 1876. Mr. Simons was married at Martinsburg, Knox Co., Ohio, October 13, 1859, to Mary McCreary, a native of Martinsburg. They have two children - Alice May and Bessie M.
S. SIMONSON, grain and produce dealer, was born in Norway, March 22, 1824. Came to America January 9, 1847, landing at New Orleans, where he remained about three months, then went to St. Joseph, Mo., where he lived one year; afterwards at Springfield, Ill., and vicinity for a period of about five years; most of the time in lumber business. He then removed to Tazewell County, Ill., and was engaged in grain business at Delavan in the that county, later locating at Green Valley, in the same county, where he continued in the grain trade until he came to Parsons, Kan., in December, 1875. For the last six years being a being a member of the firm of Wilson & Simonson, Gen. A. Wilson being associated with him. His son Ellsworth Simonson being actively identified with them in the conduct of the business. Mr. S. was married nine miles west of Springfield, Ill., May 2, 1852, to Ellen Elizabeth, a daughter of Azel Lyman. She was born at Potsdam, N. Y. They have had three children, only one now living - Ellsworth, the son before alluded to.
A. B. SIPPLE, photographer, was born in Grant County, Ky., January 23, 1857. When he was one year of age, his parents removed with their family to Douglas County, Ill., living there until 1867, then removing to Callaway County, Mo. Came to Parsons February, 1879, having resided at Boonville, Mo., for two years prior to removal to Kansas. Engaged in photograph business while there and since coming here. Mr. Sipple was married at Boonville, Mo., October, 20, 1881, to Laura Welch, a native of that place.
JOHN I. SIPPLE, retired merchant, was born in Grant County, Ky., October 1, 1841, residing there until 1865, when he removed to Missouri, and remained there until 1868, when he came to Kansas, locating at Fontana, Miami County, there engaging in grocery business with his brother, W. H. Sipple. In August, 1869, they began running a railroad supply store south of Junction City, on the M., K. & T., and continued on that route as the road progressed, until November, 1870, when they put up a store 18x30 on the present site of Parsons, about thirty feet north of where the Abbott House now stands. They sold the first goods which were put up here. March 9, 1871, the day following the first sale of town lots here, they began the erection of a store 25x60 on Johnson avenue, where A. G. Ratliffe is now doing business, and continued to do business in that building until it was destroyed by fire, July 29, 1874. They immediately erected the present brick store, 25 1/2x70, at a cost of $4,812. The lot originally cost them $300. They conducted business there until May, 1880. Mr. John I. Sipple being the owner of the property now. They closed out their stock in May, 1870, and went to Colorado, W. H. being now engaged in mercantile business at Leadville. The climate of that locality proving injurious to the health of John I., he has recently returned to Parsons. He was for several years a member of the Common Council, and also served as a member of the Board of Education. He was married in Concord, Mo., to Pinkie L. Pledge, a native of Missouri. She died February 12, 1879, leaving one child - Clarence P., who was born at Parsons the day his mother died. Mr. S. is a member of K. of P.
SAMUEL CHARLES SLOAN was born at Dayton, Ohio, March 20, 1856; moved from there to Fort Wayne, Ind., in 1876; remained there for one year, afterward for three seasons he was employed as a traveling buyer of leaf tobacco for a New York house. Then, for one year, he traveled for an agricultural implement manufactory, having headquarters at Cincinnati, and manufactories at Akron and Canton, Ohio. Mr. Sloan came to Parsons in December, 1880, and was engaged in fruit and confectionery business until March, 1882, when he formed a co-partnership with J. Willard Walker, under the firm name of Walker & Sloan, merchandise brokers. Mr. S. is a member of the Junior Order of American Mechanics, and of the Christian Church. He was married, January 17, 1882, to Lillie M. Bunger, a native of Winchester, Randolph Co., Ind. They have one child - Samuel Carl.
ROSCOE SMITH, ticket and freight agent of the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf R. R., was born at Danville, Androscoggin Co., Me., October 4, 1855; lived in his native State ten years; afterwards in Missouri; came to Olathe, Kan., in August, 1879, having been one year in the employ of the Hannibal & St. Joseph R. R. prior to that time. He was engaged as telegraph operator at Olathe most of the time until February, 1880. He then removed to Cherokee, remaining there until April, 1882, when he came to Parsons, coming here to take the position which he now holds. He was railroad agent at Cherokee for over two years. Mr. Smith is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married, at Macon City, Mo., January 16, 1880, to Ella Houghland. They have one child - Gracie.
F. H. SNYDER, cashier of the City Bank of Angell Matthewson & Co. He was born in Fort Plain, Montgomery Co., N. Y., in March, 1850; came to Parsons in September, 1880, having resided for six years in Nebraska prior to that time. He engaged in the banking business almost immediately after locating at Parsons, being associated with Angell Matthewson and Merrit Noyes. This partnership existed until it was dissolved by the death of Mr. Noyes, February 12, 1883, since which time Matthewson & Snyder have carried on the business, they being proprietors of the City Bank, besides doing an extensive real estate and insurance business. They do the principal real estate and loan business in this part of Kansas. Mr. Snyder is one of the directors of the Parsons & Western R. R. Co. He was married at Oneida, Madison Co., N. Y., to Mary M. Walrath, a native of Fort Plain, N. Y.
L. J. STEELE, blacksmith and wagon maker, was born in Kings, Co., N.Y., February 22, 1843 and while he was an infant his parents removed with their family to Indiana. He resided in that State until 1860 locating at a place then called Rockford, in Bourbon County, fifteen miles west of Fort Scott. It was situated two miles from where Union Town is now located. July 14, 1861, he was mustered into the army, having enlisted as a private in Company F. Third Kansas Volunteers. After serving with that regiment six months it was consolidated with the Fourth Kansas Regiment, and was designated the Tenth Kansas Infantry. He served in that regiment as a veteran until he was finally mustered out in September, 1865, being at that time Sergeant of Company B. In 1897 he removed to Baldwin Township, Labette County resided there one year, running a blacksmith shop, also having a farm which he had carried on for him, and afterwards resided in North Township. He, with his brother, started a saw mill on the Little Labette in 1868. It being the first mill in this vicinity and operated that for three years. The capacity of the mill was a cut of about 4,000 feet of lumber per day. In, 1874, he came from his farm in Parsons and has since been engaged in blacksmithing and wagon making. He employs four hands besides being actively employed himself. He has served as Alderman of the second ward. Mr. Steele was married at Oswego, Labette Co, Kan., in March 1871 to Violena Frazey a native Iowa. They have four children - Tessie, Edna, Elisha and Lina. Lost one child - Olive, who died at the age of eighteen months.
J. F. STEELE of the firm of J. F. Steele & Co., dealers in agricultural implements was born in Rochester, N.Y., March 9, 1851, and lived there until he was four years of age, afterwards at Rochelle, Ogle Co., Ill., until 1867 when he removed to Stark County, Ill., living there until March, 1876, when he came to Parsons, Kansas, and engaged in hardware business with E. H. Edwards, his present partner. They closed out their hardware business in 1880, and since January 1, 1881, they have carried the business in which they are now engaged. He is interested in the Parsons Fair and Driving Park Association. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. Blue Lodge Chapter and Commandery. July 8, 1874, Mr. Steele was married at Bradford, Stark Co., Ill., to Emily M. Plummer, a native of Portland, Me. They have four children - Frank Melville born in Stark County, and Mabel Grace, Edwin Grant and Charles David, born in Parsons, Kan.
E. S. STEVENS, job printer and bookbinder was born at Batavia, N. Y., May 6, 1835, lived there and at Lockport, N. Y. until 1843, when his father located his family at Waukegan, Ill. E. S. lived there until 1852 when he went to Madison and other places in Wisconsin, and removed to Muskegan, Michigan, in 1838. He enlisted August 5, 1862, in Company D, Ninety-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry at Waukegan. He was wounded at the battle of Chickamauga, September 20, 1863, was captured by the Confederates and for eight months was a paroled prisoner. He served in the army until May 15, 1865. He then returned to Michigan and remained until he came to Parsons November 29, 1871. He was employed in the printing office of the Parsons Sun for a period of twenty-one months and was afterwards with the M. K. & T. R. R. Co., in their freight depot at this place for three years. In 1877, he established a job printing office and has since given his attention to the printing business in that office. He is now perfecting arrangement for doing a general bookbinding business. He was married in Muskegon, Mich., in November, 1867, to Elizabeth, daughter of John Johnston, formerly of St. Clair, Mich. She is a native of Birmingham, England. They have one child - Francis M.
HON. R. S. STEVENS, a resident of Attica, N.Y., and a member of Congress from that district, president of the Osage Coal & Mining Company, president of the first National Bank of Parsons, president of the National Mill & Elevator Company of Parsons, president of the Parsons Town Company, etc. An early settler at Lecompton, Douglas Co., Kan., one of the early members of the Kansas State Senate, and for many years general manager of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad, nearly all the lines of that company having been built by him, and afterwards under his management.
S. J. STILLWELL, fruit depot, Central avenue, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1861. He lived there until 1872, when his parents emigrated to Parsons, Kan. His father, whose name was James, was born in Newport, Ky., 1831. His grandfather, Joseph, came from Virginia to Newport, Ky., about 1820. His great-grandfather was a Welshman, and emigrated to America about the time of the revolution. His mother was born in Newport, her mother in Richmond, Va. His grandfather went down the Ohio River on the first flatboat, and also on the first steamboat that descended that river. His maternal great-grandfather was a soldier in the army of the revolution, and also in war of 1812. Samuel Carter, his maternal grandfather, still lives at Newport, Ky., 102 years of age. Mr. S. received his earlier education in Ohio and Illinois, completing it in Parsons, Kan., to which place he came in 1872. He has one brother and four sisters - Ettie, Minnie, Jennie, Ida and James, all of whom are living with their parents on Belmont avenue. Mr. Stillwell commenced the business in which he is now engaged March 15, 1881. His father is a carpenter and builder on Belmont avenue, Parsons, Kan.
WILLIAM SULLIVAN, druggist, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., July 3, 1854, lived there five years, then his parents removed to Chicago, where he resided until he came to Osage Mission, Neosho Co., Kan., in the autumn of 1869; engaged in the drug business there until his removal to Parsons in the summer of 1880, continuing in drug trade here. He has been in the same business since he was eighteen years of age. He is a member of the Catholic Church. October 9, 1882, Mr. Sullivan was married at Osage Mission, to Mary Mills, a native of Union County, Ky.
H. E. THOMPSON, carpenter, East Belmont avenue, was born in 1841 in Venango County, Pa. When he was twelve years of age his parents removed to Marquette County, Wis. His father's name was Hugh Gibson Thompson, named after the celebrated Indian fighter of that name. His ancestors were descendants of Scotch-Irish, who emigrated to America more than hundred years ago. His mother's name was Martha Nevins, also descended from Scotch-Irish parentage. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, Twentieth Wisconsin Infantry, and served in the Army of the Frontier in Arkansas, Army of the Gulf, and Army of the Rio Grande; was in the siege of Vicksburg and Mobile. He was in every engagement of his regiment; he was wounded and captured in the battle of Prairie Grove, Ark., December 7, 1862. He was married to Jane Odell, of Chicago, in 1867. She was born in 1851, at West Point, N. Y. They have four children - John N., born in Hebron, Porter Co., Ind., in 1869; Hugh Gibson, born in Wisconsin in 1872; Helen, born in Wisconsin in 1876; Viletta, born in Parsons in 1876. Mr. Thompson emigrated to Parsons in the fall of 1880. He has held the office of senior vice commander in the G. A. R., also vice dictator in the K. of H., and worthy chief in Good Templar's Lodge No. 46, Parsons.
J. N. THOMPSON, grocer, was born at Cooperstown, Venango Co., Pa., March 29, 1835, living there about ten years, then for five years in Marquette County, Wis., afterwards at Hickory Point, Lake Co., Ind., until 1861, when he responded to the first call for men, and enlisted for three months in the Fifteenth Indiana Volunteers, served for the term of enlistment, and then located at Chicago, where he remained until August, 1869. He then came to Kansas, locating on southwest quarter Section 30, in North Township, Labette County, living there until 1872, the time of removal to Parsons. He was engaged in the contracting and building business until 1879; since them in mercantile business, dealing in groceries and provisions. He was married at Chicago, May 2, 1869, to Sophia Ranson, a native of Cape Vincent, Jefferson Co., N. Y. They have six children - Currance Beebe, Julia Martha, Frank Victor, Katie, Madge, and an infant daughter. Mr. Thompson is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and was School Treasurer while a resident of North Township.
CHARLES S. THURSTON, lumberman, was born at Mount Gilead, Morrow Co., Ohio, February 7, 1846. He enlisted May 2, 1864, in Company G., One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Regiment, National Guards of Ohio, and remained in that regiment until August 31, 1864. He was then mustered out, having served during the term of enlistment. February 8, 1865, he again enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Eighty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was finally mustered out January 20, 1866. He returned to Ohio, and March 28, 1866, he came to Lawrence, Kan., on his way to Labette County. He was accompanied by his brother, David, and a gentleman by the name of William E. Shedd. They outfitted at Lawrence, and immediately proceeded to what is now North Township on the northeast and southeast of Section 14, and the northwest of Section 13. They purchased three pairs of oxen at Lawrence, paying $150, $165, and $175, per pair, and for a lumber wagon they paid $140, and for about a year they were obliged to go to Lawrence for their supplies, and for several weeks Humboldt was their nearest post office. Afterward they got their mail at Osage Mission, until an office was established in Neosho Township, known as Iuka, P. O., since discontinued. Mr. Thurston continued in his farming pursuits three years. In the fall of 1869 he went to Montana, in this county, and was engaged in shoemaking until February, 1870. He then sold his shop, and went to Montgomery County, where he took a claim, remaining there during the summer, then going to Ohio, and remaining there until March 12, 1871, when he returned to Kansas, and after spending a few weeks on his farm in this county, he became connected with the lumber business, being in the employ of William Meixell, the pioneer lumber merchant of Parsons, with whom he still continues, having been with him ever since the yard was started, April 17, 1871. Mr. Thurston has served two years as Alderman of the Third Ward. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married in Parsons, September 28, 1873, to Elizabeth Eleanor Thurston, a native of Indiana. They have two children - Charles Worthington and Carrie Eleanor.
M. L. TROTTER, agent of the Pacific Express Company, was born near Corydon, Harrison Co., Ind, September 5, 1841; removed to Henry County, Mo., in 1859, remaining there only one year, however, when he returned to Indiana. He enlisted July 22, 1861, in Company B Third Indiana Cavalry, and served until September, 1864. He was then mustered out and returned to his native State, where he remained until June, 1866, when he located at Wamego, Kan. That was his home until 1868. He then went back to Indiana and did not return to Kansas again until July, 1871, when he came to Parsons. While in Wamego he was engaged in civil engineering in connection with the construction of the Kansas Pacific Railroad. After coming to Parsons, he was a member of the Civil Engineer's Corps of the M. K. & T. R. R. for one year. Served one year as Division Superintendent Clerk, and two years as baggageman on the road. In 1876 he became a messenger for the Adams Express Company; remained as such until January, 1881, at which time he accepted the agency of the Pacific Express. He was City Assessor in 1882. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and G. A. R. Antietam Post No. 64. Mr Trotter was married at Salem, Ind., November 23, 1870, to Kate Redus, a native of Livonia, Washington, Co., Ind. They have two children - George L., born November 17, 1875, and Ray Hamilton, born August 25, 1882.
CAP. TYLER, blacksmith, was born in Auburn, N. Y., in 1822. At an early age he went with his parents to Ithaca, N. Y. His father's name was Justus Tyler, carpenter, builder and farmer. His grandfather's name was Jacob Tyler, a Revolutionary soldier, who at the close of the war, settled in Southington, Conn., where he died in 1833. His mother's name was Nancy Warn; born, lived and died in Auburn, N. Y. Her father was of German descent, and was also a soldier in the Revolution. Mr. Tyler received a common school education, and learned his trade in Auburn, N. Y. At the age of nineteen he worked at his trade in Elmira, N. Y. In 1842 he traveled over a large part of Pennsylvania, living at various places until 1847, when he started in business for himself near Ithaca, and soon afterward married Mary Ann West, of Rochester, N. Y., in 1845. Her father was a mechanic of English descent. In 1846 he emigrated to Walworth County, Wis., where he lived for awhile, when he moved into McHenry County, Ill., soon afterward to Freeborn County, Minn., and soon laid out a town on the Albert Lea, Geneva, now containing 4,000 inhabitants. Soon after he moved to St. Peter's, Minn,; again in Illinois, and from thence to California, where he remained six years working at his trade. He then returned to Ithaca, and from thence to Rockford, Ill. In 1869 he emigrated to Fort Scott, where he took up a claim. In 1878 he came to Parsons, Kan. He has three children - Mary Isabella, born near Ithaca, N. Y., in 1846, married to Mr. LaBairn, now in the employ of the Mexican government at Vera Cruz; Charles A., born in 1848, married to Miss Baker, now living in Rockford, Ill., and Julia, born in Wisconsin in 1851, married to George Haynes, of Neward, N. J., now in Parsons. Mr. Tyler is a member of the Masons.
CHARLES ULRICH, merchant tailor, was born in Prussia, November 18, 1849; came to America in August, 1873; located at Rochester, N. Y., where he remained till 1876, when he came to Parsons, Kan. He gives employment to three tailors. He is a member of the A., F., & A. M. Mr Ulrich was married at Rochester, N. Y., January 3, 1876, to Teresa Preisner, a native of Baden, Germany.
M. G. VAN SCOTER, machinist, corner of East Central and Stevens streets, was born near Hornellsville, N. Y., August 30, 1826. His father was a native of Wilkesbarre, Pa., and his mother of Allegany County, N. Y. He received his education at Hornellsville, and learned his trade at Fredonia, N. Y. For sixteen years he was engineer on the N. Y. & Erie R. C., and for one year and six months on the M. R. & R. R., having been employed continually on the railroad, commencing in the old wooden shops at Hornellsville, N. Y. September 13, 1869, he came to Junction City, Kan., and in April, 1874, to Parsons. Mr. Van Scoter ran the engine that drew the first coach with Gov. Harvey and suite, June 10, from Junction City to Chetopa. Mr. Van Scoter was married in Corning, N. Y., January 17, 1860, to Miss S. E. Van Husen, who was born in Howard, Steuben Co., N. Y., in 1836. She received her education in Prattsburgh and Alfred Academies, Steuben County, N. Y. Mr. Van Scoter has one brother and two sisters living in the State of New York. His father still lives at the age of eighty-two. Mrs. Van Scoter has three sisters and one brother living. They have had six children - Nannie, born in Erie, Pa., October, 1861; George P., born in Corning, N. Y., March 10, 1893, occupation, locomotive fireman on the Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad; Hattie R., born at Hornellsville in 1866, and died at Parsons, November 6, 1881; Robert M., born in Parsons, Kan., April 14, 1875. Mr. Van Scoter is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He has in His possession the first time table on the U. P. road, now M. K. & T., and also ran the first train over that road.