|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (WADE - WILSON).
H. A. WADE, contractor and builder, was born in Bedford County, Va., in August 28, 1827; that was his home until 1866, when he located at Memphis, Tenn., remaining there until 1869, when he removed to Kansas City; lived there until 1870, and then went to Fort Scott; thence to Chetopa, Kan., March 1, 1871, when he came to Parsons; being here at the first sale of lots March 8, 1871. He has been extensively engaged in building business here since then, doing the stone and brick work and plastering on the first brick building (Sipple Bros.' grocery store) which was erected here; E. C. Dent's block, where Holmes' drug store is now located; the West School building, and many of the residences and business blocks of the city. He put up the first chimney in Parsons, which is still in use at the Belomone House. He has been a director of the Parsons Commercial Bank for three years and still holds that position. He is also interested in the Parsons Fair and Driving Park Association and the Forest Park Association. Mr. Wade is one of the leading Public-spirited citizens of Parsons.
C. F. WALDRON, M. D., is a native of Greensburg, Westchester Co, N. Y. Was educated at the Cooperstown Institute and the New York Academy; read medicine for nearly five years with Prof. Middleton, of Davenport, Iowa, one of the most eminent physicians in that State. In 1874, he graduated from the Medical Department of the Iowa State University. He was a clerk of the Clinique of that institution for two terms, and he made all the anatomical drawings for the college during his attendance there. In 1875, he became a member of the North Iowa Medical Society, and in the same year he joined the Fayette County Medical Society, serving as secretary in the later organization in 1880 and 1881. He was twice elected a delegate to the State Medical Association, of which he has been a permanent member since 1879. He is a member of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Davenport, Iowa, and Corresponding Secretary of the Parsons Scientific Association. The Doctor was located at Brush Creek, Fayette Co., Iowa, from 1874 to the time of his removal to Parsons, January 1, 1832.
WALKER & SLOAN, merchandise brokers, represent Greeley-Burnham Grocery Co., St. Louis; H. O. Pope & Co., dealers in foreign fruits etc., St. Louis; St. Louis Paper Co., St. Louis; Mound City Bag and Printing Co., St. Louis: Corle Cracker and Confectionery Co., of Kansas City; Gus. O. L. Sauer, dealer in foreign fruits, fancy groceries and produce, Kansas City; L. G. Shepard & Co., dealers in the same goods, Kansas City; G. Buecking & Son, vinegars, cider, etc., Kansas City; A. Richards & Co., Economy baking powders, Fort Scott; A. W. Winzenberg, cigar manufacturer, Sedalia, Mo; A. J. Stillwell, pork packers, Hannibal, Mo; Jacob Dold & Son, pork packers, Kansas City; Kansas City Show Case Co., Kansas City; Kansas City White Lead and Linseed Oil Co., Kansas City.
J. WILLARD WALKER, was born at Oxford, N. J., November 8, 1834; lived in New York City and Philadelphia the most of the time until fifteen years ago; he then removed to Steubenville, Ohio; resided there one year; afterward in Indiana, seven years; spent a short time in Kentucky and Missouri, and three years in Texas; came to Parsons in February, 1881. Mr. Walker has spent over thirty years in the mercantile business. He is a member of the Kansas Benevolent Association. He was married at Clinton, Ind., February 10, 1877, to Lucy C. Clover, a native of that place.
H. R. WALLER, ex-Deputy Sheriff, northeast Central and Gabriel avenue, was born in Plymouth, Washington Co., Ohio, in 1843. His father came from Virginia at an early day. His mother was born in Norwich, Ohio. Mr. Waller received his education in the district schools at his father's home. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Seventeenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was in service with his regiment in Kentucky and Tennessee until he was injured seriously while in the line of duty, from which he never recovered, and for which he gets a pension. In 1863, he was transferred to the Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery. August 1865, he was mustered out of the service. He removed to Christian County, Ill. March 17, 1872, he emigrated to Parsons, Kansas, where he took up a claim and followed the business of farming. He was married to Alvina Perrine, November 9, 1867. She was born in Mercer County, Pa., having moved from Pennsylvania to Jacksonville, Ill., at an early age. They have three children living - Ida E., born September 1, 1868; Finley McClusky, born October 19, 1870; Louis L., born July 22, 1872; Elenora born March 6, 1879; Edward H., born September 30, 1876, was killed by a horse September 1, 1881. In 1874 our subject was elected constable of Parsons, which office he held five years. Afterward was appointed Deputy Sheriff, serving two years. Was also Street Commissioner one year. He is now City Auctioneer of the city of Parsons. Mr. Waller having lived in Parsons from its beginning, his history has been identified with the growth of the city. He is acting past-master workman of the A. O. U. W ., and also a member of the G. A. R.
JULIUS S. WATERS, editor of the Oswego Daily and Weekly Independent, published at Oswego, Kansas. Was born in Warrick County, Ind. March 25, 1838. The country was new at this time, and young Julius had arrived at the age of eleven before he had seen a schoolhouse, and not until the removal of the family to Henry County, Iowa, in 1848, did he enjoy the advantages of the common schools. His mother died when he was but fifteen years of age, by which the family was broken up, and at this early age, with little education and no means, he was cast upon his own resources. For a time he was employed as a farm hand, at four dollars per month. In 1854, he began to learn the trade of harness and saddle making at Galesburg, Ill., at which he was employed about three years. His spare moments were occupied in study and reading, by which his mind underwent cultivation and became stored with useful knowledge. Returning to Indiana in 1857, the next fall, he was made Republican candidate for the Legislature. The county was heavily Democratic and he was defeated in the election. In 1860, he assisted in the organization of his party in Spencer County, to which he had removed, and was a member of the State Convention appointing delegates to the National Convention which met at Chicago Ill., and put Abraham Lincoln in nomination for the presidency, and was afterward actively engaged in the campaign. He was married in 1860, and continued a resident of Spencer County, Ind., until the death of his wife in 1863, at which time he removed to Nebraska City, Neb., and became engaged as local editor on the Press, a paper published by his brother, W. H. H. Waters, at that place. Removing to Southwest Missouri in 1865, and not being satisfied with the country, he at once came to Kansas, settling upon the Osage Ceded lands in Labette County, where he now owns a fine farm of five hundred acres, upon which he resides. Having studied law, he was admitted to practice when the county was organized, and in which he continued with gratifying success for some years. In the fall of 1869 he was elected to the office of County Attorney, and subsequently was twice elected to the same office. He established a newspaper called the Sentinel at Labette City, in the summer of 1871, which he ran about a year and sold out, and two years afterward became editor of the Oswego Independent, upon which he is now engaged. He was elected to the State Legislature in 1880, and again in 1882, in which capacity he served with satisfaction to his constituents. He was commissioned a director of the State Penitentiary by Gov. St. John, in April, 1882, and still holds the position. He has been re-married and is the father of an interesting family. He is a man of considerable ability, and figures prominently in politics, and enjoys a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.
J. H. WHEAT, dealer in boots and shoes, came to Labette County, Kansas, March 3, 1872. Located on the northwest quarter of Section 15, in Walton Township. In May, 1873, he removed to Section 5, Liberty Township, living there until June 1, 1881, when he came to Parsons, being now associated with his brother, Thomas B. J., in business. He was born in Bourbon County, Ky., August 19, 1848, living there until February 12, 1872, when he started for Kansas, making the entire trip on horseback. His father died in 1867, but his mother, Dorothy M. Wheat, resides on the farm in Liberty Township, several of her children being there with her.
T. B. J. WHEAT, boot and shoe merchant, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., January 30, 1847. Came to Parsons April 3, 1872, having visited this place and decided to locate here during the fall of 1871. For two years he was a member of the hardware firm of Atchison & Wheat, then served two years as Justice of the Peace, and after leaving the office he was employed as bookkeeper in the Parsons Flouring Mills. Since August 1, 1876, he has been engaged in his present business. He is president of the Parsons Scientific Association. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Subordinate Lodge and Encampment, and has served as Alderman of the First Ward. Mr. Wheat was married in Bourbon County, Ky., May 5, 1869, to Amelia Brown, a native of that county. They have two children - William Volney, born February 20, 1874, and Thomas B. J. Jr., born December 23, 1876.
AUGUSTUS WILSON, son of Andrew Porter and Sarah Allen Wilson, was born May 6, 1836, in Harrison Township, Darke Co., Ohio. He received a thorough English education in the schools of his native State. At the age of eighteen years he took charge of his father's business six years. Engaged in farming and stock dealing, and after carrying on that business fourteen years removed to New Madison, Ohio, and commenced his mercantile career, remaining at that place about two years, and subsequently at Greenville, Ohio, in loan and brokerage business about the same length of time. He then visited Kansas and decided to make the State his home. Returned to Ohio, and after closing out his business again returned to Kansas and located at Parsons, where he entered into partnership with Walker & Thomas in the real estate business, the firm being, after 1873, Thomas & Wilson. When the Parsons Savings Bank was organized, in 1874, Mr. Wilson was elected president, and has been connected with that institution and its successor, the "Commercial Bank," to the present time. For the past five years - since the spring of 1877 - he has also been largely engaged in buying and shipping grain. He is a member of the Congregational Church, and an active worker in the educational and general interests of the young city, which he has seen grow to its present estate from almost nothing. Mr. Wilson was married December 1, 1863, to Ella B., daughter of Major-General John S. and Elizabeth B. Ensor, of Maryland. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are enthusiastic workers in the temperance cause, Mrs. Wilson siding the movement with tongue and pen. To her public spirit, perseverance and ability, Parsons is also indebted for its magnificent public library building and its valuable contents.
DAVID F. WILSON, hardware merchant, is a native of Chester County, Pa., and was raised in the western part of Pennsylvania. Came to Parsons, Kansas, in August, 1880, having previously resided for several years at Wilmington, Illinois. He was married in that city in September, 1873, to Mrs. E. S. Grover, a native of New Jersey. They have three children - Rachel, Robert and Leila. Mr. Wilson's family belong to the Presbyterian Church.
J. W. WILSON, manager of the business of the Singer Manufacturing Co. in Labette, Neosho, Cherokee and Crawford Counties. He employs eighteen agents in the territory embraced in his district, and handles only the genuine Singer sewing machines. Sales amount to about 400 per year. He has acted as district agent for a period of three years and a half, having been a canvassing agent for the company several years prior to the appointment to his present position. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, A., F. & A. M., K. of H. and I. O. O. F. Mr. Wilson is a native of Crawfordsville, Indiana, born March 11, 1831. Removed from Indiana to Parsons, Kansas, in November, 1875. He was married at Tipton, Indiana, August 13, 1858, to Minerva Lyon, a native of Henry County, Ind. They have three children living - Sophia A., now Mrs. J. A. Brown, of Parsons; Clara E., Mrs. A. G. Talbot, of Parsons, and Minnie E., now Mrs. W. F. Waters, of Pueblo, Col.