|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (EGELSTON - HOLCOMB).
JOHN Q. EGELSTON, physician and surgeon, was born in Dearborn County, Ind., November 6, 1827, and was reared on a farm. At the age of twenty-one he began the study of medicine, attending the medical college at Evansville, Ind., for two courses. He then practiced medicine in Lee County, Iowa, for about seven years, after which he attended a course of lectures at the medical department of the State University of Iowa, graduating March 1, 1858. In the fall of that year he located in Linn County, Mo., where he practiced until the breaking out of the war, when he engaged in the performance of contract service for the United States army. In the summer of 1862 he was appointed Assistant-Surgeon, Twenty-fifth Missouri Infantry, and in 1864, Surgeon of the Forty-third Missouri Infantry, in which positions, in connection of that of Medical Director of the Central District of Missouri, he served until the close of the war. He then removed to Independence, Mo., where he engaged for five years in the practice of his profession, and for a time in the drug trade. He came to Olathe in September, 1870, and has followed his profession at this place ever since. The doctor has the reputation of a fine physician, based on an experience in his profession of over thirty years' active practice.
OLIVER H. EYLAR, farmer, was born in Adams County, Ohio, August 28, 1834. His father was a tanner and saddler, and the subject of this sketch was employed with him for some years, after which, for seven years, he carried on mercantile business at Winchester, and was also engaged in manufacturing saddles, etc. On August 7, 1862, he enlisted in the Seventh Ohio Cavalry; was appointed Second Lieutenant, a year later First Lieutenant, and in a year more was promoted to Captain, serving until July 4, 1865, after which he resided for two years in Jackson County, Mo. In March, 1868, he came to Johnson County, located in Oxford Township, and has since followed agricultural pursuits. He has 160 acres of land in Section 8, Township 14, Range 25, all improved, and raises considerable stock. He has quite recently changed his place of residence to Olathe, where he intends to reside, although is about to purchase more land and farm on an extensive scale. Mr. Eylar was married in Adams County, Ohio, November 24, 1857, to Elma S. Bunn, they have seven living children.
A. E. FARNHAM, farmer and stock dealer, was born in Steuben County, Ind., in 1832, and reared on a farm; at the age of twenty-three years he removed to Galesburg, Ill., where he was engaged in teaming and working on railroad for a year; in 1862, he returned to Indiana, and in March, 1863, came to Kansas, took up a claim in Gardner Township, Johnson County, residing on the same until 1875, when he removed to the city of Olathe. He owns about 290 acres of land; is largely engaged in farming, and since 1875, also engaged in dealing in live stock. Mr. Farnham owns considerable property in this city, and has a fine orchard of three acres on his old homestead in Gardner.
FRANK P. GAINES, dentist, was born in Richmond, Mo., August 27, 1841, and began business life at the age of eighteen years as a clerk in the dry goods business where at Roachport, Mo., following it for one year; he then farmed with his father in Howard County, Mo., for five years, after which he went to Jacksonville, Ill., where for four years he was employed in dry goods business. In 1872, he began to study and practice his profession in Carrolton, Mo., and a few months later removed to Richmond, where he continued to practice until early 1878, when he had all his property destroyed by a cyclone, and in July, 1878, he came to Olathe and opened an office for the practice of his profession, and is now the leading dentist of this place, having succeeded in building up a large practice.
WILLIAM M. GELLETT, dealer in boots and shoes, was born in Albany, N. Y., November 12, 1834. he began business life in St. Louis, Mo., in 1850, being employed for about a year as a clerk in mercantile business; then in Ottawa, Ill., for a few months, and in Peoria until 1859. In June of that year he came to Olathe, and was employed as a clerk until the summer of 1861, he joined the "Shriver Olathe Scouts," serving six months; on his return here he purchased a stock of general merchandise, and carried on business until cleaned out in the Quantrill raid. In August, 1862, he assisted in organizing Company H, Twelfth Kansas Infantry, and was appointed Second Lieutenant of the same, promoted to First Lieutenant in 1864 and served until August, 1865. In 1866, he was appointed Deputy Treasurer of Johnson County, and filled that office two and a half years, was then for some ten years engaged in general mercantile business in company with J. E. Sutton, and on October 14, 1879, opened in his present business. Mr. Gellett was elected Mayor of Olathe in 1870, and served one term. He was married in Olathe, May 3, 1869, to Jessie Sutton; they have one son--James S.
JOHN M. GIFFEN, attorney at law, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, February 10, 1830, and reared on a farm, and also for some years studied law and medicine, and was admitted to the bar November 10, 1856. He returned to Kansas in the spring of 1857, and pre-empted 160 acres in Shawnee County. In December of that year he entered the office of Gov. Denver as clerk, remaining in his employ until March, 1858; he then settled in Olathe and practiced law; was appointed attorney of Johnson County shortly after his arrival here, being the first to hold that office, and same up to 1861. In 1859, he established the Olathe Herald, and conducted it up to September 6, 1862. Mr. Giffen has devoted his time off and on to practicing law, farming and improving real estate for the past twenty-four years. In 1880 he received the Democratic nomination for Secretary of State.
FREDERICK GILBERT, hardware and agricultural implements; was born in Boston, England, July 20, 1833, and emigrated to Canada, at the age of nineteen years, he learned the trade of wagon-maker, at New Castle, Ontario, serving as an apprentice three years; removing to Michigan, and followed his trade as a journeyman in Pontiac for two years, and one year at Albion, after which he went to Spring Port, that State, and carried on a wagon and repair shop for nine years, and then worked at his trade in Indiana and Illinois, for a year. In August, 1865, he came to Olathe and at once opened a wagon making and repair shop, conducting it for two years; he then joined A. J. Clemmens and, and opened an implement establishment. A few months later they added a stock of hardware, and continued to conduct business together until 1878, when Mr. Gilbert sold out; a year later he moved to Bonita, this County, where he engaged in general merchandise, also dealing in coal and grain. Remained there only two years, but is still interested in building property there, besides which he owns some 400 acres of farm land. In November, 1881, he returned to Olathe; in February, 1882, engaged in the implement business; in the summer of that year he built a brick building, and a few months later he engaged in the hardware business, with a stock of about $15,000, and is now conducting two separate establishments. Mr. Gilbert was elected Treasurer of the city of Olathe, in the spring of 1879, for a term of one year. He was married in Olathe in 1874, to Mahalia Jane Keefer, of Indiana. They have two children--Berty and Lulu.
JOHN M. GRIM, farmer, P. O. Olathe; was born in Perry County, Ohio, in 1843, and was generally employed for some years in farming and blacksmith work. In March, 1860, moved to Hillsborough, Henry Co., Iowa. In July, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Sixth Iowa Infantry, and served three years. In 1865, he engaged in stock business in Wapello County, Iowa, and two years later removed to Platte County, Mo., where he remained until he came to Kansas, March 1877. He has one of the finest improved farms in Olathe Township; on his place is a fine orchard and residence. Mr. G. is largely engaged in breeding blooded horses and raising graded cattle.
HON. JOHN M. HADLEY, proprietor of Johnson County Mills; was born in North Carolina, January 25, 1835, and reared on a farm in Morgan County, Ind. He came to Kansas in March, 1855, and located at Shawnee Mission, Johnson County, and farmed for two seasons; during the winter of 1856-57, he returned and taught school, in Morgan County, Ind., and in the spring of the latter year, settled near Emporia, Kan., and farmed there for a year, then in Monticello Township, Johnson County, for three years, where he was engaged in farming and teaching school; here he was elected Justice of the Peace, and held the office for three years. In October, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Eighth Kansas Infantry, and some months later was promoted to Second Lieutenant, serving in that capacity for fifteen months, during six months of which period he was Part Adjutant, at Fort Leavenworth. He was promoted to First Lieutenant in the Ninth Kansas Cavalry, and served eight months on the staff of General Thomas Ewing, as Acting Assistant Adjutant; was then promoted to Captain and returned to his regiment; in May, 1865, was promoted to Major of the regiment, and mustered out in the latter part of that year--he then located at Olathe, Kan.; was elected Sheriff of Johnson County, in the fall of 1865, and re-elected in 1867, and 1869. In 1870 he was elected clerk of the District Court, and re-elected in 1872 and '74. In the spring of 1877 he opened a law office in company with George W. Wilson, continuing with him for a year, after which he engaged in the mercantile business, at Gardner, this county, but remained there only a short time. He purchased his mill property at De Soto, Johnson County, in June, 1880, and added large improvements to the same. These mills are valued at $5,000, and have a capacity of 5,000 pounds of flour per day. He owns some 600 acres of land in this county, and is engaged in farming and raising stock. Mr. Hadley was elected in the fall of 1876, to the State Senate, from this county and served two years. He was married at Olathe, December 20, 1866, to Harriet Beach; she died February 18, 1875, leaving two children--Estelle and Herbert. Mr. Hadley's mills are at De Soto, and he gives them his personal attention, but the residence of himself and family is at Olathe.
J. W. HALL, real estate and insurance agent, was born in Goshen, N. H., August 11, 1819. At four years of age he went with his parents to Bennington County, Vt., where he lived till seventeen years old. Then went to Windsor County, Vt., to school. In six years returned to Bennington County, and there worked in a woolen factory with the exception of three years. Worked at farming until 1847, and then moved to Winnebago County, Wis., and for fifteen years was engaged in farming and mercantile business. Moved to Mendotta, Ill., living there six years, most of the time engaged in grain business. In 1868 came to Olathe, Kas., and for a year or so was engaged in the mercantile business, and since then has devoted himself to real estate and insurance business. He is the oldest insurance agent in the place; also makes a specialty of collections. Mr. Hall represented the First Ward in the City Council for two terms and was elected a member of the School Board in 1880, and President of that body in 1882.
THOMAS HAMILL, physician and surgeon, was born in Lawrence County, Pa., in 1830, and educated in the schools of that county. He then attended the Eclectic College of Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in the spring of 1855, after which he practiced in New Middletown, Ohio, for six months, and in Keokuk, Iowa, until he came to Kansas in April, 1857, where he was for a few months engaged with his brother in the stock business. In February, 1858, he removed to Johnson County, and for a short time resided on a farm in Olathe Township, moving into the town in the following May, and began the practice of his profession at this place. In 1862 he went to Leavenworth and remained a year, and during that period held the office of coroner. Removing to Colorado was appointed Acting Assistant Surgeon First Colorado Cavalry, serving until the fall of 1865, after which he attended the St. Louis Medical College for a term, then the Humbolt Medical College, at St. Louis, Mo., graduating in April, 1867. Returning to Olathe has since devoted himself to his profession. The doctor was married in Springfield, Ill., October 21, 1869, to Bettie W. Short, a native of Ohio. They have two children, Ava and Lloyd.
JAMES M. HAWORTH was born in Clinton County, Ohio, November 19, 1831. Is a member by birthright of the Society of Friends (Quakers). Previous to the war, was engaged in farming and merchandising. Was for many years connected with the Clinton County Agricultural Society, filling the position of president in 1861. Was elected County Treasurer in 1856, and re-elected in 1858, holding the office four years and three months, his term closing in September, 1861, when he recruited a company, of which he was elected Captain, and going to Camp Chase, was assigned to the Fortieth Ohio Infantry, which regiment was ordered to Eastern Kentucky, and became a part of a brigade under command of Gen. James A. Garfield, on whose staff he served as A. A. A. A. General, until the General was ordered to another part of the country. In 1865, he removed to Cincinnati and engaged in the wholesale drygoods business, until 1870, when broken health, requiring a change of climate, he removed to Olathe, Kas., from where, in the fall of 1872, he was appointed United States Indian Agent, and placed in charge of the Kiowa and Comanche Indians, near Fort Sill, Indian Territory, remaining there until April, 1878. He was one of a commission for locating the Sioux, in the summer of 1878, soon after which he was appointed a special Indian Agent at large, and on February, 1879, was appointed a United States Indian Inspector, which position he held until July, 1882, when he was appointed Inspector of Indian Schools, an office created by the session of Congress which had just closed, the duties being of a supervising care of all the Indian schools, in the United States, excepting the five nations in the Indian Territory.
COL. JOSIAH E. HAYES (deceased). The subject of this brief sketch was born in New Hampshire, in July, 1817. He was educated principally at the common schools. In 1834 he went to Putnam County, Ill., and in 1851 to Bureau County. In 1857 he moved to Olathe, Johnson County, Kan., which town he made his home the remainder of his life. The home of his adoption is largely indebted to his energy and business ability for her prosperity. He erected numerous buildings in the town, among them the stone building belonging to the Kansas Institute for the Deaf and Dumb, the American Hotel, and the Jail, and was himself interested at different times in various kinds of business. In 1861, at the breaking out of the war, in common with many other patriotic men of the county, he entered the army, and became Captain of Company A, Fourth Kansas Infantry, In 1862 he was promoted to the Lieutenant-Colonelcy of the Twelfth Kansas Infantry, which position he held until the close of the war. In the fall of 1863, his regiment was ordered to Arkansas. It formed a part of Gen. Steele's command, which was attempting to form a junction with Gen. N. P. Banks at Shreveport, La., when on the 30th of April, 1864, an engagement occurred between Gen. Steele's command and a large force of rebels at Jenken's Ferry, Ark., ending in the defeat of the Union forces. Early in the engagement, Col. Hayes was struck just below the knee by a minie ball. The ball was split by striking against the bone, one part passing out of the leg, the other part passing around and above the knee joint, and up back of the thigh bone, nearly to the hip joint. The Union forces upon their retreat left the wounded upon the field, and all, Col. Hayes among them, became prisoners in the enemy's hands. His leg was amputated on the field, by Dr. Redfield of Fort Scott. He was at first taken to Camden, where he remained four months, suffering great pain and inconvenience from his wound. He was then removed to Shreveport, La., where he remained until exchanged in February, 1864, when he proceeded homeward, reaching Olathe March 11, 1864. Sometime subsequently an operation was found necessary, in order to remove the portion of the ball that had passed up the thigh. This was successful, and led to the rumor that a second amputation had been performed, which was not true. Mrs. Hayes, upon learning that her husband was wounded and a prisoner, immediately determined upon going to him. Neither could she be turned aside from her purpose by the earnest entreaties, persuasions and tears of her friends. After a hasty preparation, she started at once for Little Rock, and proceeding thence under flag of truce to the rebel lines, she was permitted to go to Camden, where the Colonel lay, traveling the whole distance, forty miles, through the enemy's country with a rebel soldier for a driver. She remained with her husband until he was exchanged, and in all human probability, through her constant watchfulness and care, saved his life, and brought him home with her to their children and friends. In the fall of 1865 he was elected County Treasurer. In 1869 he commenced the business of banking in Olathe, as detailed under the head of the Johnson County Bank. In 1870 he was elected State Treasurer, and in 1872 re-elected by a majority of 30,000. April 30, 1874, he resigned his office, and was succeeded by John Francis, of Iola, Allen County, who was appointed the next day. On account of the danger of traveling at that time with money on the person, County treasurers very generally refused to settle with the State Treasurer in anything but drafts on New York. These drafts were collected through two Topeka banks. When the financial crisis of 1873 came upon the country, the New York bank having in charge these collections for the Topeka banks suspended. This led to the suspension of the Topeka banks, and this to the embarrassment of the State Treasurer, who had at that time about $75,000 in the process of collection. The State was reimbursed over the counter of the Hayes bank in Olathe, Col. Hayes being made good in part by the receipt of other property, some of it western land. While Col. Hayes was guilty of a technical violation of the State law, which required State taxes to be paid in lawful money, and while his political enemies eagerly seized upon this technical violation of the law as a convenient weapon with which to defeat his aspirations toward further political promotion, yet the State lost not one dollar through the dereliction, and not a shadow of suspicion rested or rests upon the integrity or character of Col. Hayes. Preceding State Treasurers had received County taxes in the same way. It was Col. Hayes' misfortune to be in office when the crisis came, and he who had heard his country's call, who had gone to the fore front of the battle and left a limb, almost his life upon her altar, was here destined to suffer injustice through a wide spread combination of circumstances for which he was no more to blame than is the man who is caught and destroyed by the fierce cyclone. On account of his failing health occasioned by the constant trouble with his wound, he started February 23, 1881, to Eureka Springs, Ark., reaching there on the 26th of the month. Nothing could avail. He died on March 8th, and was brought home to be buried. He had twice been married--the first time to Louisa Fanning, of Illinois, in 1838, and the second time to Miss Nancy A. Potter, on March 28, 1850. Mrs. Hayes is a woman of extraordinary intelligence, firmness and devotion, a bright example of that fortitude which crowned so many American women during the years of trial while the Rebellion lasted. Besides Mrs. Hayes, four children survive--Charles L., Emma J., Arthur L., and Holly E. Hayes.
JOHN HARRIS, banker, was born in Madison County, Ohio, May 10, 1839, and reared in Appanoose County, Iowa, receiving a college education at Mount Pleasant, Iowa. In 1858 he came to Kansas, locating in what is now known as Miami County, where he followed farming until the breaking out of the war, when he returned to Appanoose County and in August, 1861, enlisted in Company M, Seventh Missouri Cavalry, and served until February 3, 1863. He then assisted in raising Company H, Eighth Iowa Cavalry, and at its organization in June, 1863, was elected Sergeant, and a year later was promoted to Second Lieutenant, in which capacity he served until September, 1865. He then farmed in Jefferson County, Iowa for about six years. In 1881 he returned to Kansas and settled in Marion County, homesteading 160 acres, and for six years was exclusively engaged as an itinerant preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Harris has been a member of the South Kansas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church since its organization in 1872. In April, 1877, he was elected President of the Bank of Marion Centre and filled that position until October. In July of the same year he became connected with G. M. Knox, and engaged in the banking business with him in Newton, Kas. In April, 1878, he became sole proprietor of this bank, and conducted it alone until June, 1879, when he sold out and shortly afterward came to Olathe, at which time he purchased the People's Savings Bank, conducting it alone up to January, 1881, when he was joined by W. H. Smith, and the firm became John Harris & Co. This connection lasted until September 1, 1883, when Mr. Harris bought out Mr. Smith and thus became sole proprietor. Mr. Harris was married in Appanoose County, Iowa, in 1859, to Irene Hallock. She died July 29, 1880, leaving five children, Mary E., John A., Elmer E., Edith and Justin K.
JOHN E. HEATON, Marshal of the City of Olathe, was born in Delaware County, Ind., October 22, 1845, and was reared on a farm. He enlisted in December, 1861, at Lafayette, Ind., in Company D, Fortieth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Was in the following battles: Shiloh, Tenn, Perrysville, Ky., Stone River, Tenn., Nashville and Franklin, Tenn., Mission Ridge, Tenn., Knoxville, Tenn., and on the Atlanta Campaign, embracing all the battles from Chattanooga, Tenn., to Atlanta, Ga. Served three years in the department of the Cumberland in the Fourth and Twenty-first Army Corps. Was mustered out of service in 1865 at Huntsville, Ala., his term of service having expired. He returned home to White County, Ind., in 1866; moved to Illinois, Iroquois County, near Gilman, and followed farming. In 1868 he moved to Olathe, followed the business of stone-mason until 1878, when he was appointed to the office of City Marshal. Was re-appointed in 1879 and 1880 and 1881. He took a very active part in the temperance cause in Kansas. In politics he is a Republican. He married in 1869 at Olathe, Kansas, Miss Estell Newburry. They have two children living--C. E. and J. E., and one, F. E., deceased.
W. P. K. HEDRICK. proprietor Olathe Marble Works, was born at Greenbrier, Va., January 18, 1846, and at seven years of age removed with his parents to Oskaloosa, Iowa. Here he learned the trade of stone-cutter when but seventeen years of age. In October, 1865, he enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry, and served until the war closed; after which he worked at his trade in Oskaloosa. In the fall of 1869 he came to Olathe, and for a time was engaged in farming. In 1872 he opened the Olathe Marble Works, this being the only business of this kind in this place. Mr. Hedrick is a fine workman as his work shows, and began the business on a small scale, which has increased until he now gives employment to four men, and is compelled by the demands of trade to keep on hand a large and handsome stock of monuments, mantel-pieces, etc. He is also the owner of the Crystal Limestone Quarries, situated two and a half miles northwest of Olathe, on the Pleasant Hill branch of the A. T. & S. F. R. R. Here he has some eighty acres of the finest kind of limestone, and to the development of which he is now giving considerable attention, as it is in large demand all through the State. Mr. Hedrick was married in Olathe in 1872, to Minnie Russell. They have two children--Clyde and Eva.
REV. EDWARD F. HILL, Pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, in 1836; entered the Iowa Conference in 1857; traveled one year, and then located to attend the Iowa Wesleyan University, at Mount Pleasant. He also attended Peak's Academy, Ohio. In 1861 he entered the Cincinnati Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and had charge of various churches in Ohio until he came to Kansas, April 1, 1873, locating at Burlingame. He had charge of the Methodist Episcopal Church there for a year; then at Salem four years; and at Clay Center three years. In March, 1881, he came to Olathe and entered upon his present duties. He was ordained a deacon of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Cincinnati, Ohio, in September, 1862, and ordained elder at Greenfield, Ohio, September, 1864. He labored in the church some twenty-three years and has been the means of bringing into the church over 2,000 persons. He was married at Cincinnati, July 8, 1863, to Sarah L. Green, They have five children--Charles M., Edward F., James F., Sarah L., and Mary.
SAMUEL H. HILL, farmer, was born in North Carolina in 1836; removing with parents in 1847 to Kentucky; was reared on a farm; in 1856 he removed to Macoupin County, Ill., where he carried on a large stock farm. He came to Olathe in 1869, and located on his present farm. Mr. Hill is one of the leading farmers of this county; he owns 400 acres of land, and is also largely engaged in breeding Poland China hogs; his place is well improved, and on it he has a fine residence, and an orchard, consisting of some three or four acres. He is a member of the Lone Elm Grange. Mr. H. was married in Macoupin County, Ill., in 1860, to Eliza Kent; they have nine children--Martha, John W., George, Annie, Mary, Addie, Charles, Samuel and Elmer.
SOL. HISEY of Hammond & Hisey, undertakers and dealers in furniture, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, January 12, 1831. Here he learned the trade of carpenter and builder, serving as an apprentice some three years, after which he followed it in Columbiana and Union counties as a journeyman. On August 12, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio Infantry; in June, 1863, he was promoted to Sergeant and wounded at the battle of Chickamauga in the following September, by a musket shot in the right thigh, and taken prisoner by the Confederates; but he was paroled eleven days later, and exchanged in May following; he served until his discharge June 19, 1865, after which he returned to Ohio and followed his trade. In the fall of 1868, he came to Olathe, and was engaged in business as a carpenter and builder until March, 1881, when he joined J. A. Hammond in the furniture business. Mr. Hisey was married in Union County, Ohio, November 28, 1852, to Maria L. Garwood, of Ohio; she died July 27, 1875, leaving one daughter--Jennie E. He was married again at Olathe, September 21, 1879, to Mary H. Peck. They have one child--Eva Maud.
D. P. HOAGLAND, farmer, was born May 8, 1833, at Barlow, Washington Co., Ohio; at the age of fifteen he removed to Virginia; went to school at Marshal Academy in the winter, and was for three years employed on flat boats in the summer, running on the Ohio River; then in the State of Iowa for several years, employed as a clerk and also as a carpenter; then in Springfield, Ill., working as a carpenter. He came to Kansas in 1857, and bought a claim two miles west of Oxford, Johnson County, but lost it, it being claimed to be a military reservation. He resided in Kansas City for a short time engaged in contracting and building, and has also conducted a hotel for a few months. He moved to Cass County, Mo. In 1858, built a saw and shingle mill which he conducted for two years. He voted for Lincoln in 1860 and nearly lost his life in consequence; he was fired at several times and ordered to leave the country. In 1861 he came to Olathe and turned his attention to farming. In February, 1862, he enlisted in the Missouri State Militia and served two years; he has resided on his present farm since 1864, and is largely engaged in breeding Short-horned cattle, etc. He has a fine orchard on his place and owns in all some 400 acres. He is secretary of the Olathe Grange, and County Commissioner. Mr. Hoagland was married in Cass County, Mo., in 1859, to Sarah J. Farmer; she died in June, 1878, leaving three children--Fred, Roddy Proctor and Clarence Farmer.
MYRON C. HOLCOMB, manufacturer and dealer in furniture, was born in Monroe County, N. Y., May 23, 1827, and nine years later accompanied his parents to Hillsdale County, Mich., where he assisted his father in clearing two timber farms and also worked for some years at the trade of painter. Residing with his parents until about twenty-six years of age, after which he worked at painting in De Kalb County, Ill., for some five years, and in other parts of that State and Michigan, until he came to Kansas in June, 1860, at which time he pre-empted 160 acres in Lyon County, and returned home to Michigan. During his absence his claim was jumped, and on returning to the State in the spring of 1862 he settled on 160 acres in Gardner Township, Johnson County, and this he farmed for five years. In 1867 he came to Olathe, and was employed as a painter for a short time, then established a teaming and transfer business which he carried on for ten years. In 1878 he purchased his present business, and in the past four years has increased the stock from $600 to $5,000. Mr. Holcomb had little or no means on his arrival here, and suffered many hardships while residing on his farm. He was a member of the militia during the war, and was molested on several occasions by guerrillas, but notwithstanding all drawbacks, he stuck to his homestead and encouraged and assisted by his wife, and is now in more than comfortable circumstances. He was married at Fremont, Ind., March 1, 1859 to Susan Phenicie, a native of Maryland.