|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (AINSWORTH - DOW).
NEWTON AINSWORTH, breeder of thoroughbred stock. Three miles south and a little west of Olathe, is a farm, now under a high state of cultivation, which is of some past note from an occasional mention in history. Its noteworthy feature was a lone elm tree, the stump of which is yet standing. This fact and that of its being the first farm opened in that part of the county, gave it the name of Lone Elm farm. Its proprietor, Mr. N. Ainsworth, is one of the early pioneers of Kansas. He was born in Dayton, Ohio, March 23, 1835, and reared on a farm in Miami County. Removing West in 1856 he located at Quindaro, Wyandotte Co., Kansas, and during the rise of that place speculated in lots and town stock. The means thus gained secured him his present comfortable homestead upon which he located in the spring of 1857. During the border troubles and the war following, Mr. Ainsworth was much of the time in government employ, mostly freighting across the plains to the military posts. He is the owner of 320 acres of land in this county, and is largely engaged in breeding thoroughbred Short-horn cattle and Cotswold sheep. His exhibit in cattle carried off first premiums at the Kansas City Exposition of 1873 and 1874. Mr. Ainsworth is a charter member of the Lone Elm Grange organized in 1873. He was married at Leavenworth, Kansas, in the fall of 1869, to Rosa Hamill of that place; they have five children: David, Ralph, Harry, George and Homer.
JOSEPH P. ANDERTON, of Sylvester & Anderton, stone quarry and stone saw mill, was born in Beaver Co., Penn, June 23, 1859. Here he learned the trade of stone-cutter, serving two years as an apprentice, after which he worked at it there as a journeyman for a year. In June, 1878, he came to Kansas and resided in Olathe and during the first six months worked at his trade in Kansas City; after which he settled and for some months worked a rented quarry: then bought one and has conducted it since. In March, 1881, he joined C. O. Sylvester and they built a saw mill for the purpose of cutting the stone for building purposes, etc.
ABRAHAM ARTMAN, farmer, P. O. Olathe was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., February 11, 1839. At the age of nineteen years he went to Augusta, Ind., and learned the trade of wagon maker, and followed it for twelve years. In June, 1869, he came to Kansas and located in Olathe, opening a wagon shop, which business he ceased in the following March, moving onto his present farm at that time, consisting of 160 acres. He is quite extensively engaged in breeding cattle and horses. Has a fine orchard of about five acres, and a quarry from which is obtained a fine grade of building stone. He was married in Augusta, Ind., March 3, 1859, to Mary E. Shellhammer. They have four children: May, Byron P., John E. and Daisy.
W. C. BARRETT & CO., dealers in grain, flax-seed, coal, etc. W. C. Barrett, the senior partner of this firm, has for over twenty-five years been engaged in the grain business. His first experience was in shipping in flat boats on the Wabash River and its tributaries, and was for fifteen years engaged in the business at Champaign, Ill. He was also, during the winters of 1862-'63 and 1863-'64, engaged in pork business in Chicago, Ill., in the firm of D. Gardner & Co. He came to Olathe in August, 1877, and at once established this business. In 1880 he admitted to partnership J. M. Miller, and his son B. F. Barrett, since which time they have opened branches at Ocheltree and Edgarton, this county, business at the latter place being under the style of Barrett, Judson & Co. In 1880 the firm handled 65,000 bushels of flax, 150,000 bushels of grain. In 1881, 80,000 of flax and 150,000 of grain. They also do an extensive business in coal and considerable in castor beans.
ALBERT D. BEACH, physician and surgeon, was born in New Berne, N. Y., September 3, 1839. He began the study of medicine in 1854, serving an apprenticeship in drug business in Cincinnati, Ohio, for three years, for which he received a pharmacist's certificate, after which he followed the business as a clerk until he came to Kansas, September 3, 1858, at which time he resumed his medical studies with his brother, Dr. E. E. Beach, at Wyandotte. In the fall of 1861 he went to Cincinnati, and attended the Eclectic College for two terms. Returning to Kansas in September, 1862, he located in Olathe, and at once began the practice of medicine. For three years during the war the doctor had charge of the military hospital at this place, with the rank of acting Assistant-Surgeon, U. S. A., and during the years 1876, '77, '79, and a portion of 1881, held the office of County Physician. Dr. Beach was married in Olathe, June 19, 1863, to Frances R. Josselyn. They have one son--Leon Edgar.
GEORGE H. BEACH, hardware and implement dealer, was born in North Bend, Hamilton County, Ohio, September 3, 1847. He came to Kansas with his father, Rev. I. C. Beach, in the fall of 1857, and lived with his parents in Wyandotte City until the spring of 1858, when his father removed to Olathe, Kas., and built one of the first residences in Olathe. George lived with his father until the spring of 1864, when he went to Colorado and secured a position as clerk in a sutler store at Fort Garland, which he filled for thirteen months. Returning to Olathe, he was appointed Deputy County Clerk, filling that position for over one year; was then Deputy Postmaster for eighteen months. In 1868, he purchased one-half interest in the Olathe Mirror, and conducted it for one year, in company with Sam. E. McKee. Mr. Beach was then Assessor of Olathe City and Deputy Clerk of District Court, three years. In 1874, he purchased his present business. His stock then amounted to $2,000, which he has increased to $20,000. His store-room he has increased from 65 feet to 143 feet, two stories high with large ware-room adjoining. He is also interested in mining in Colorado, and own half-interest in a large stock ranch in western Kansas. He was married at Olathe, Kas., in January 1880, to Eva Hull, a native of Illinois. They have one daughter, Lora.
JAMES BELL, physician and surgeon, was born in Washington County, Pa., and was reared in Muskingum County, Ohio, on a farm. He attended the New Concord College for several years graduating in the scientific department in 1848; then attended the Cleveland Medical College, graduating there in 1850, after which he practiced at New Concord for thirteen years. The doctor, seeking for higher honors, attended Jefferson College, Philadelphia, graduating in 1863, after which he returned again to his practice in New Concord. The doctor was for many years a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Zanesville, Ohio, and in 1859 received a diploma from the same. In July, 1869, he came to Olathe, and at once began to practice. Three years later he was joined by his brother Douglass, who remained in partnership with him until some time in 1879. Two months later Dr. Bell admitted to a partnership his student, Dr. H. E. Mastings. The subject of our sketch was for five years County Physician of Johnson County. Has been a member of the Kansas State Medical Society for ten years. Is a permanent member of the American Medical Association, and is chairman of the Board of State Medicine.
WILLIAM A. BOLES, principal of Olathe public schools, was born in Milton, Saratoga Co., N. Y., July 7, 1831, and reared in Trumbull County, Ohio, on a farm, until he reached the age of fourteen years, when he learned the trade of harness-maker, serving as an apprentice some three years. He then followed it as a journeyman for two years, during which period he studied and improved his early education. He then turned his attention to teaching school, following it in the State of Ohio for two years, then in district schools in Kentucky for two years, in the public schools of New Albany, Ind., for six months, and again in the district schools of Kentucky for two terms, after which he taught in the public schools of Louisville for two years, and was principal of public schools of Lexington, Ky., for five years, and again in Louisville for three years as principal of public schools. In 1868 he went to Shelbyville, Ind., and was superintendent of public schools there until the latter part of 1867, when he came to Kansas, locating in Lawrence. He took charge of the public schools of that place, remaining there until he came to Olathe, August 1, 1880, at which time he entered upon his present duties. Mr. Boles has been engaged in conducting schools for the past thirty years, twenty-five of which he has been either principal or superintendent.
HARRY BRICKELL, was born at Niles, Berrien Co., Mich., August 18, 1855 and reared on a farm, and followed farming as an occupation until he came to Olathe, Kan., March 28, 1878; for a year he was engaged in various capacities. In July, 1879, he entered the employ of Geo. B. Lord, and has since been in charge of the Olathe Elevator and Mill. Mr. Lord handles large quantities of grain, and also has a large coal trade in the winter. He resides in St. Louis, Mo., and Mr. Brickell has the management of his affairs at this place.
WILLIAM BRONAUGH, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Olathe, was born in Kentucky in 1832. Here he assisted his father in conducting a hotel for two years, and was for the same length of time employed as a clerk in mercantile business. In 1854 he removed to Jackson County, Mo., where he engaged in farming. In August, 1856, he came to Kansas, and the following February located on his present farm. He owns 160 acres of land, all well improved, on which there is a fine orchard of his own planting, of about three acres. He is Treasurer of the District School Board. Mr. Bronaugh was married in Kentucky in 1859, to Nancy Hunt. They have four children--Lila, John, George and Lena.
A. A. BROWN, of Brown & Thompson, hardware merchants. Was born in Otsego County, N. Y., in 1840, and reared in Kalamazoo, Mich., where he studied the profession of dentistry. In May, 1861, he enlisted in the Second Michigan Infantry, serving three months; and on the 12th of August following re-enlisted in Company I, Second Michigan Cavalry; was almost immediately promoted to Quartermaster's Sergeant, and during the last year of the war acted as Quartermaster at Franklin Post, Tenn., and was mustered out of the service in September, 1865. He came to Kansas in January, 1866, locating at Topeka. Was for a year employed as baggagemaster on the K. P.R. R., after which he was employed as a clerk in hardware for some eight years, and during that period he learned the trade of gas and steam fitter. He was also for eight years a member of the Topeka Cornet Band, and for two years had charge of the fire department building at Topeka. Was then for three years engineer at the State Insane Asylum, and for three years engineer at the State Deaf and Dumb Asylum. He came to Olathe January 1, 1882, and in company with O. D. Dickey purchased the hardware stock of W. B. Walker. They conducted the business together until April 13, 1882, when Mr. Dickey sold out his interest to G. S. Thompson. Mr. Brown was married at Topeka, Kan., in 1875, to Lila Little. They have one son--Clarence W.
S. R. BURCH, postmaster, was born in Dresden, Ohio, March 1, 1842, and was reared on a farm. In the spring of 1857 he removed to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he followed farming and school-teaching. On September 11, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Twelfth Iowa Infantry, and served four and one-half years as a soldier, passing through various grades in the army, and for the last nine months of his service was Adjutant General on the staff of Major General Chetlain. After the war he gave his attention to farming, near Cedar Rapids, until he came to Olathe, in November, 1868. June 1, 1869, he opened the American House in company with Peter Cochran, who retired ten years later, he continuing in the business, with Henry Cochran as a partner, until in February, 1882, when he was joined by H. S. Miller, his present partner in this business. Mr. B. was for six years a member of the City School Board, and during four years of that time filled the office of president of the same. He represented the Second Ward in the City Council two terms, and was elected Mayor of Olathe in 1878, and re-elected in 1879, resigning to accept the Postmastership in February, 1880. He was married in Fairfax, Iowa, July 4, 1868, to Maria Cochran, a native of Ohio. They have three children--Mirtle, Jessie, and Sylvester R. Jr.
HENDERSON L. BURGESS, attorney at law, was born at Hubbard, Trumball Co., Ohio, July 13, 1849. His father, Nelson Burgess, was a Methodist minister. Henderson resided with him in some thirteen different States. Finally settled in Olathe, Kas., in 1866. He enlisted in the summer of 1867, in Company D, Eighteenth Kansas Cavalry, which was assigned to the command of Gen. George A. Custer, and served about six months. Returning here, was for two or three years employed on various farms in the county, and in 1870 began business life as a clerk in the store of J. C. Morgan & Co., Olathe, and a year later was admitted to a partnership. Mr. M. sold out his interest in about a year to E. Roedel, and Mr. Burgess continued in the business with him until sometime in 1873, when he sold out and began the study of law in the office with Gov. John P. St. John. After four years close study he was admitted to the bar June 20, 1878, before Tenth Judicial District, since which time he has practiced law at this place. He is a member of the Sloans Legal Union. He was married in Olathe, December 30, 1874, to Sadie M. Shreve, a native of Illinois. By this union they are blessed with two children--Lucy E., born March 10, 1877, and Goldie Lillian, born February 15, 1879.
JOHN TAYLOR BURRIS was born in Butler County, Ohio, December 22, 1828. His grandfather, Jeremiah Burris, was a soldier in the Revolution, and was at the battle of Yorktown. His maternal grandfather, Edward Taylor, held the office of Sergeant-Major under Gen. Anthony Wayne, and participated in the Indian warfare of his time, in Ohio. The parents of the subject of this sketch were John Burris and Eunice (Taylor) Burris. He was bred on a farm and acquired early only the limited education which the common schools afforded. At the age of eleven years, he removed with his parents, to Kentucky, where he lived until eighteen years of age. He supplemented his poor educational advantages with hard study at home, while assisting his father in farm work, and thus fitted himself as a teacher. In 1847, he went to Iowa; soon after his removal to that Territory, the war with Mexico having broken out, he enlisted for the war, as a member of the Mounted Rifles, afterward know as the Third United States Cavalry. He served until the close of the war, and then returned to Iowa, where, receiving his soldier's land warrant, he located it, and cultivated the land until 1852, at which time he sold his farm, opened a hotel, and established a ferry on the Iowa River, at Fredonia. In the fall of 1852, he sold out his business, and commenced the study of law. He was admitted to the bar in 1853, and commenced the practice of his profession at Washington, Iowa. In 1855, he was elected Judge of the County Court. On the expiration of his term, he entered into partnership with a brother, who had located a town on the Mississippi, called by the family name of "Burris," and moved to that place. The venture proved disastrous in a business point of view, and resulted in nearly a total loss of the accumulations of the previous years. In 1858, he came to Kansas, and settled at Olathe, and renewed the practice of the law. He was, in 1859, elected a member of the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention, and was thus one of the framers of the Constitution of the State. He was in Washington in the spring of 1861, and during the threatening days of early treason, served as Sergeant in the company known as the Frontier Guards, of which Senator James H. Lane was Captain. He returned to Kansas, having received the appointment from President Lincoln of District Attorney for the new State, and entered upon the duties of his office. In August, 1861, he enlisted, and became Lieutenant-Colonel of the Fourth Kansas Infantry. He continued in the service in the Fourth until its consolidation with the Third into the Tenth Kansas, and in the latter until the close of the war. He bore himself as a brave soldier should, throughout the numerous skirmishes and battles in which his regiment was engaged. For the various battles in which he was engaged, the reader is referred to the history of the regiments in which he held command. At the close of the war he returned to Olathe and resumed the practice of his profession. In 1865, he was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, of which body he was elected the Speaker. In 1866, he was elected Attorney of Johnson County, and in 1869, was appointed Judge of the Tenth Judicial District. During this year he was again elected as State Representative. He has ever taken an active part in the politics of the State, being identified with the Republicans up to 1878, since which time he has voted with the opposition. Outside of politics he has been identified with many enterprises for the advancement and welfare of his State. He was one of the projectors and organizers of the Missouri River, Fort Scott & Gulf R. R., serving as one of the directors of the road for three years. He has been a staunch and unswerving friend of the State Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb, at Olathe, he having introduced the bill into the Legislature whereby it was located at that place. He was married, October 4, 1849, to Miss Martha Ann McGannon, daughter of Reuben McGannon, of Louisa County, Iowa. They have one son, Rev. Alfred T. Burris, and two daughters--Jennie and Eunice.
H. W. BUSHONG, contractor and builder, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, October 11, 1831. He learned the blacksmith's trade there, serving as an apprentice some sixteen months; then working as a journeyman, and carrying on the business for eight years. After which he learned the trade of carpenter and builder in Richland County, Ohio, following it there until he came to Kansas, in March, 1866, since which time he has been engaged in his present business as a contractor and builder. Among the prominent buildings he has erected here are the Methodist Episcopal Church, Baptist Church, Harris & Co.'s Bank building, J. E. Clark & Son and Walker Bros.' business houses, Olathe Central School building, costing $13,100, and many others. Mr. Bushong was elected Representative of the Second Ward in the City Council in the spring of 1878, and again in 1881. He was married in Richland County, Ohio, September 22, 1853, to Nancy Saviers. They have four children living--Keturah Ann, Ida Loretta, Elmer Ellsworth, and Melvin Saviers; and two dead--William Charles and Linie Pearl.
E. L. CARESS, of E. L. Caress & Son, grocers, was born in Bedford, Ind., March 22, 1837. Here he learned the trade of blacksmith, following it for four years as a journeyman, after which he carried on a shop. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1865, locating in Shawnee Township, Johnson County, and for several years conducted a blacksmith shop, after which he was for two years in the employ of the K. C., Ft. S. & G. R. R. Co., as ticket agent. He then gave his attention again for some time to his blacksmith shop. In 1874 was elected a Trustee of the Township, and again in 1875, which position he resigned in the fall of that year, having been elected Recorder of the county, which position he held for three consecutive terms, of two years each. Since he entered upon the duties of County Recorder, Mr. Caress has resided in Olathe. In January, 1882, he engaged in his present business, with his son, C. E. Caress.
AUSTIN G. CARPENTER, Treasurer of Johnson County, was born in Indiana County, Pa., December 16, 1832. Here he studied civil engineering, and was employed in the capacity of engineer for some years on railroads in the State of Ohio, and afterwards superintended the grading of railroad work in the State of Iowa, for some months, then in the same capacity in Stephenson County, Ill., for a short time; after which he was employed in the Engineer Corps of the Madison & Portage City Railroad at Portage City, Wis. He came to Kansas in April, 1857, located in Allen County, where he was engaged in farming and surveying, and for two years held the office of County Surveyor. On October 16, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Ninth Kansas Cavalry, which was partially formed from the Iola Battalion, originally organized by James Lane. Mr. Carpenter served as Battalion and Regimental Quartermaster, until January, 1863, when he resigned and joined his company as First Lieutenant; in August following, was appointed Post Quartermaster at Pleasant Hill and Harrisonville, Mo. In April, 1864, he again joined his company as Lieutenant, and went south with his regiment to Fort Smith, Ark., and served until December 20, 1864, after which he returned to Allen County and farmed. In December, 1865, he came to Johnson County, and engaged in farming, in Shawnee Township, where he still has a finely improved farm of 300 acres. Mr. Carpenter was appointed Surveyor of Johnson County in January, 1877, and elected to the office in the fall of that year for a term of two years. He was elected Treasurer of the county in the fall of 1879, and again in 1881. The subject of our sketch was married in Andrew County, Mo., in March, 1865, to Maggie Duncan. She died in December, 1871, leaving one son, John C. Mr. C. was married again at Olathe, in 1872, to Mary A. Freeman. They have one daughter--Margaret M.
FRED W. CASE, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Monroe County, N. Y., March 19, 1826, and reared in Washtenaw County, Mich., his occupation being that of a farmer. In 1850, he emigrated to California, where he remained for six years engaged in placer gold mining. Returning East, he came to Kansas in May, 1858, and purchased his present farm; resided in the city of Olathe for four years, and in 1862 moved on to his farm, where he has since resided. He is an extensive farmer; owns 480 acres, 370 of which are under cultivation, the balance being used for stock-raising purposes. He is a member of Olathe Grange, No. 118. Mr. Case was married in Johnson County, in the fall of 1861, to Ruth E. Gregg, a native of Ohio. They have four children--Hattie, Harry, Sheldon and Lena.
REV. MICHAEL J. CASEY, Pastor St. Paul's Catholic Church, was born in Ireland in March, 1851, and educated at All Hallow's College, graduating from there June 24, 1875, and was ordained by Bishop James McDevitt. In September of that year, he came to Kansas and shortly afterwards entered upon his present duties.
DR. GEORGE C. CASTLEMAN, was born in Canada West, December 28, 1830; was reared on a farm; worked for some years in a woodenware factory. Here he began the study of medicine, which he continued in Jefferson County, N. Y., till 1853, when he began its practice. In this he continued there and in Canada till 1855, when he went to Iowa, practicing in various counties in that State till 1865, when he went to Quincy, Adams Co., Ill., and three years later to Missouri. He came to Olathe, Johnson County, Kan., in March, 1878, where he now resides. The doctor is a healing medium, known as "The (so-called) Faith Doctor"; uses no medicine in his general practice, effecting his cures through the use of his hands; has practiced in this way for over thirty years. Thousands of letters of inquiry reach him every year, but owing to the cost in time and money, he now answers no letter (professionally) unless it contains at least $1. He is a member of several liberal societies in the State and in the United States; is a member of the Executive Boards of the Kansas Liberal Union, and of the National Spiritual Association.
ANDREW J. CLEMMANS, hardware merchant, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, November 28, 1833, and learned the trade of blacksmith at Bridgeport, that county, serving an apprenticeship of four years. He followed his trade as a journeyman in Illinois for a short time, and came to Olathe, Kan., in the spring of 1858 and opened a blacksmith shop, which he conducted for about ten years. In 1868, he engaged in hardware business in company with F. Gilbert, and in the winter of 1878, became sole proprietor of the same. The stock carried at the opening of the business was about $800, which has since been increased to $20,000, to supply the demands of his trade. Mr. Clemmans was elected Sheriff of Johnson County in the fall of 1869; re-elected in 1871, 1875 and 1877, serving, in all, eight years.
WELCOME CURTIS, farmer and trader in live stock, P. O. Olathe; was born in Noble County, Ohio, December 22, 1837, and in company with his father, Hiram Curtis, carried on a large stock farm, and was also for eight years engaged in mercantile business at Carlisle that county. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1869, locating in Johnson County; was for several engaged in company with his father in speculating and dealing farm lands. In 1870 he removed onto his present farm, consisting of 200 acres and all well improved. He owns some 320 acres of land and is largely engaged in breeding blooded cattle, and also dealing in live stock. On his land are several stone quarries, valuable for building purposes. Mr. Curtis is one of the leading men in this neighborhood. He is a member of the Grainview Grange. The subject of our sketch was married in Noble County, Ohio, in 1857 to Sarah A. Oshell. They have seven children--Etna, Orin, Mina, Forest, Idella, Nahum and Daisy.
EDWIN E. DAVIS, farmer, P. O. Olathe; was born in Piqua, Miami Co., Ohio, in 1851, and reared on a farm. At sixteen years of age he engaged in railroading, first as a brakeman and then as a conductor of freight trains. Following that business in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois on various railroads, until he came to Kansas in January, 1879, at which time he purchased forty acres in the township of Olathe, and has since given his attention to farming. He now owns eighty acres of land, all well improved. Mr. Davis is a member of Lone Elm Grange, No. 152, and is now serving his second term as master of that body. He was married at Indianapolis, Ind. April 26, 1878, to Carrie F. Griggs, a native of Memphis, Tenn. They have one daughter, Georgia L., born here.
JOHN W. DENNIS, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Ross County, Ohio, July 6, 1836, and was reared on a farm. In 1852 he moved to Knox County, Ill., where he followed farming and stock breeding. He was a member of Company A, Ninth Missouri Infantry, afterward changed to the Fifty-ninth Illinois. In 1867 he removed to Cass County, Mo., and in 1871 came to Olathe and located on his present farm overlooking the city of Olathe. Mr. Dennis has 175 acres of land, all finely improved by himself in the past twelve years. He has on his place a fine residence and barn and is largely engaged in breeding fine cattle and hogs. On his place is a splendid orchard of four acres. Mr. Dennis was married in Knox County, Ill., in 1863, to Louise J. Barnett. They have three children: William F., Edwin Lee and Carl.
E. P. DIEHL, fruit grower, was born in Adams County, Pa., August 20, 1832. At the age of twenty-two years he removed to Kentucky, where he was engaged in the manufacture of chairs at Paducah for two years, after which he went to Charleston, Mississippi County, and was for a time employed in the construction of railroads, and served for four years as Deputy Sheriff of that county. He enlisted in November, 1861, in First Illinois Cavalry, Company I; served eleven months. He then organized Company A, Fiftieth Illinois Infantry and was appointed Second Lieutenant August 9, 1864; promoted to First Lieutenant in September, and to Captain in November, serving until August 5, 1865. Some time after the war he settled at Osborn, Ohio and for three years was engaged in conducting a nursery. He came to Olathe September 13, 1868, and has resided on his present place since. He owns forty acres, all of which he has set out in fruit trees, berries, grapes, etc. For about twelve years he also carried on a nursery, but now gives his attention to the culture of fruit almost entirely. Lake Chanute adjoins his place and Mr. Diehl supplies the surrounding country with ice during the summer. He was married in Canton, Ohio, August 19, 1862, to Emma Brownwell. They have four children: Alice A., Ella E., Eva J. and Emily P.
J. H. DOW, merchant, born in Erie County, N. Y., October 22, 1835. He began business life in Washington Territory, where for four years he was engaged in merchandising, freighting, mining, etc., and afterward in the mercantile business in Sycamore, Ill., for two years. In February, 1864, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-second Illinois Infantry, served six months, and re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-seventh, serving until January 20, 1866. Shortly after this he came to Olathe, Kan., and at once engaged in this business, in company with J. G. Flinn, and a year later became sole proprietor. The business was begun with a stock of about $5,000, which has since been increased until a stock of about $60,000 is now carried to supply the demands of the trade. Mr. Dow was elected Mayor of Olathe in 1874, and re-elected in 1875.