|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This township contains thirty-nine square mile, is of very irregular form, and is that territory which once formed the northern and northwestern part of Jefferson Township, with seven square miles from the original Delaware township. Norton was not formed until 1880, and its previous history is included in that of the two townships from which it was formed. Since its organization there has been nothing of importance in its history other than its steady improvement. It contains some of the finest farming lands in the country, and is continually increasing, both in population and wealth.
Nortonville is the only village in the township, though Nicholas is a side track and stopping place for trains, on the line of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad.
This thriving and enterprising little town is situated in the extreme northern part of the county, on the line of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroad. It is in the midst of a fertile and well settled country, surrounded by well tilled farms, peopled by a thrifty and energetic class of citizens. Though small, its population being only about 700, it presents an attractive appearance, and shows signs of business enterprise. It is the youngest town in the county, but is already one of considerable importance.
The business interests are represented by two general merchandise stores, one grocery and drugs, one drug, one hardware, two millinery stores, two grain elevators, one flouring mill, two hotels, two harness shops, one livery stable, one shoe shop, one restaurant, two blacksmith and wagon shops, and two lumber yards. There are sixteen carpenters and a number of masons. The professions are poorly represented. Besides the ministers, school teachers and three physicians, there are none. There is one newspaper, the Times, published by J. P. Coffin.
The history of Nortonville begins in May, 1873, at which time it was surveyed and platted by the Arkansas Valley Town Company. At that time the nearest house was more than one mile away, while there were only two residences within a radius of two and one-half miles. The exact location of the original town site was on the northeast one quarter of Section 30, Town 7, Range 19, east.
The first settler was John Taggart, who arrived in May, 1873, bringing with him a small stock of goods, intending to open a store. He pitched a tent, which he occupied until a building could be erected. On May 17, he was appointed postmaster and opened the post-office in his tent. On June 5, the store was completed, and on that day Mr. Taggart moved in and opened a stock of goods.
During the year the settlement of the country around Nortonville progressed rapidly, but the town grew but little. A railroad depot was built in September, and John Taggart was appointed agent. During the year four more buildings were erected and grain buying was carried on. A good price was paid and many farmers hauled their grain here.
All the summer it was desired to form a school district and erect a schoolhouse, but there were not enough voters to legally organize a district, therefore they waited till late in the fall, when they organized, voted bonds, and erected a schoolhouse, costing $I,500. As soon as the house was completed, a term of school was commenced, with Miss Lucy Gale, of Leavenworth County, as teacher. The following named men, with their families, comprise the entire number of settlers of 1873: John Taggart, Wesley Cummings, B. F. Payne, R. 0. Neely, Oliver Davis, and Samuel Pardee. Dr. R. D. Webb and 0. W. Babcock lived in the vicinity.
The first birth was that of Clarence Cummings, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Cummings, born October 8, I873.
The first dwelling erected was in the summer of 1873, by Wesley Cummings.
The first death was that of the wife of Dr. R. D. Webb, whose remains were the first to be interred in the Nortonville Cemetery.
The first sermon preached was by Rev. H. T. Fisher, a Methodist minister, from Atchison, who held religions services in the partially completed dwelling of Wesley Cummings, some time in June, 1873. On the same day a Union Sunday-school was organized with thirty members, with John Taggart superintendent. The school has always been prosperous, and now numbers about one hundred and twenty members. Mr. Taggart has been superintendent, except for an intermission of about eight months.
The first marriage took place in the fall of 1875, and was that of John W. Davis and Miss Rebecca Taylor.
During the year 1874, there was a perceptible improvement in the new town. A number of families located here, and there were about fifteen buildings erected.
In the early part of the year 1874, there were excellent prospects of the rapid growth of the town, but when the grasshoppers ruined the crops of the farmers in the vicinity, the most of whom were new settlers, and in poor circumstances, the prospect appeared gloomy for some time. But when other crops were almost a failure, the happy thought occurred to the farmers, that they could utilize the heavy crops of wild grass, therefore large quantities of hay were put up, and all that winter a number of hay presses were kept busy preparing it for shipment. There were during each of the two succeeding years, nearly three thousand tons of baled hay shipped from Nortonville. In after years the business was kept up, though not on so large a scale. There are still large shipments of hay from this point.
During the year 1875, the town improved but slowly, but after that it began to steadily improve, and has continued to do so until the present day.
There have been but few remarkable events in the history of the town. There has been little but quiet, steady and substantial progress.
There was a local wind storm in June, 1875, which blew down one or two houses, and killed Johnnie, son of Dr. J. C. Birdsell.
Again in June, 1882, a severe wind storm swept through the town, tearing to pieces two houses, and removing twenty more from their foundations.
The only criminal event of any note that has ever taken place was the robbery of McCarthy & Layson's store, by the notorious Polk Wells and two associates, on the night of May 30, 188l. About ten o'clock that night, after nearly all the people had retired, Mr. McCarthy was engaged in closing his business for the day. There was one clerk with him, and his wife and daughter had stopped there during the evening waiting for him to accompany them home. Just as he was placing his books and money in the safe, three armed men entered the store with pistols pointed at the heads of McCarthy and the clerk, and went through the safe, taking $I,400 in money, and $200 of the postoffice money. McCarthy was postmaster. It was impossible to pursue them that night, but McCarthy soon worked up the case and found that Wells' partners in the deed were Bill Norris and Jim Daugherty, the latter a private detective and ex-policeman of Atchison. Daugherty was arrested about two weeks after and remanded to jail, when he confessed the crime. After being confined nearly three months he escaped and never has been heard of since. McCarthy followed the others to Iowa where he lost trace of them. They were, however, arrested afterward for crimes committed in that State, and Wells having killed his guard is serving a sentence of imprisonment for life.
The only manufactory is a steam flouring mill, owned and operated by Hart & Worswick. The mill was built in 1879, has two run of buhrs, and a good quality of flour is made.
The old schoolhouse, built in 1873, to which an addition has been built is still occupied, but steps are being taken to erect a large and commodious house, the old one being found too small. There are two departments, and care has always been exerted to secure good instructors.
Beginning with the year 1881, a Normal School was established and kept up for about a year by Miss Mary J. Willis.
Nortonville is a town of churches, and has more professors of religion than are usually found in a town of its size. The people are moral and religious, and the different church organizations are liberally supported.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in June, I873, with eight members. Rev. G. W. Dissett was the first pastor. The church was built in the fall of I880, at a cost Of $2,000. Its membership is now one hundred and twenty. The Methodist Sunday-school was organized December 24, 1880, with sixty-five members, and with John Taggart, superintendent. It now has 160 members.
The Presbyterian Church was organized in the summer of 1875, with seven members. Rev. Mr. Lewis was the first pastor. The church was built in I878. The United Presbyterian Church was organized in I873, with about twenty members. Rev. Edward McKee was pastor. The church was built in 1881, at a cost of $2,500. It now has a membership of about thirty-five. The Sunday-school was organized in October, 1879, with about twenty members. It has now seventy-five. Hon. J. L. McDowell was the first superintendent.
The Christian Church was organized in the summer of 1879, with about fifteen members, by Rev. Mr. Montgomery, of Manhattan. It now has about sixty members. The Sunday-school was organized in July, 1881, with about thirty-five members. It now has ninety. J. M. B. Platts was the first superintendent.
The only secret Order represented in this town is Nortonville Lodge, No. 118, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, which was organized under dispensation in May. 1874. On the 14th of the following October, a charter was received. The charter members were, W. T. Eckles, T. D. Cummings, B. F. Payne, M. N. Hart, J. R. Eckles, and John Eckles. The lodge now has twenty members and is in a flourishing condition.
W. D. BARNES, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 34. P. 0. Nortonville, was born In Burke County N. C., June 6, 1827; removed to Indiana when young, where he resided a number of years. In 1839 he came to Missouri, and located in Greene County for a time, when he removed to Buchanan County, where he followed agricultural pursuits until the autumn of 1859 when he removed to Kansas on his present farm. Mr. Banes is a carpenter by trade, which he followed for a number of years, for a time In Atchison. During his sojourn in Jefferson County has been numbered among progressive and substantial farmers and stockmen. He was married in Kentucky, February 28 1860, to Miss Sarah C. Cole, born in that State, June 6, 1837. They have six children living - Mary E. George E., Florella, James, Mattie and Stella. His father, Edward T. Barnes, was a native of North Carolina, and died when the subject of this sketch was young. His mother, Hannah Payne, was a native of North Carolina, and died in Clay County, MO., in her seventy-fifth year.
CHARLES BATES, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 3, P. O. Nortonville, is a native of England, and was born September 6, 1840; was there educated and reared. Came to the United States and to Kansas in 1857, turning his attention to farming until 1862, when he enlisted in Company I, Eleventh Kansas. He participated in the battles of Cane Hill, Prairie Grove and others. Served until the autumn of 1865, when he was honorably discharged. The last month of his service was on the plains. After the war he located again in Jefferson County, where he has followed farming. He was married in Kansas to Miss Annie Bradshaw. By this union they have six children - Henry, Lewis, Thomas, Charles, Annie and Rebecca. Mrs. Bates is the daughter of Lewis Bradshaw, one of the pioneers who located on Section 3, Jefferson Township, in 1857, and was identified with the agricultural interests of the State up to the time of his death, April 22, 1865.
J. M. CROBARGER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 3, P. O. Nortonville. His father, Mr. F. A. Crobarger, was one of the '55ers of Jefferson County, who with his family settled that spring, where his son, J. M. now resides. The elder Crobarger was a native of Virginia and came from the State of Missouri to Kansas, where he was one of the most ardent of Free-state advocates, and during the troubles of the memorable conquest he endured many persecutions at the hands of the border ruffians. For about two years he was kept away from home, visiting his family only under cover of the night, or at times when an opportunity offered itself, there being a reward of $100 offered for his head. He was a man of more than ordinary ability, expressed his views fearlessly and carried out all his undertakings. He was identified with the agricultural interests of his county up to the time of his death, November 9, 1881. His wife, one of the pioneer ladies of the State, is still a resident of the old homestead. The son, F. A., is a native of Missouri, and was born in Platte County, July 31, 1848. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1855, where he has since been a resident.
D. S. CURRY, Section 25, P. 0. Nortonville, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Monroe County, in July, 1834, and was reared and educated in his native State. In 1868 he came to Kansas and located at Winchester, Jeffer son County, where he was engaged in farming and blacksmithing until 1875, when he removed to his present home. Mr. C. Is one of the extensive grain producers of the county. He was married In Indiana to Miss Margaret N. Fullerton. They have nine children - Samuel H., Emily J., John C., Joseph E., James M., William M., Thomas M., Sarah A. and Mary A.
WILLIAM DAMM, of the firm of Payne & Damm. was in Greene County, Ill., August 7 1851; was there educated and reared; came to Kansas in 1867, locating in Atchison County for a time, afterwards for three years lived In Douglas County. In 1881 became a resident of Nortonville. He was married in Kansas to Miss Maggie Payne, daughter of B. F. Payne. Mr. D. is a member of the Christian Church.
R. J. ESHOM, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Nortonville, is a native of Maryland, and was born June 8, 1850. Was reared and educated in his native State. In 1869 came to Jefferson County, Kan. What he has accomplished in this State since his arrival is a good illustration of what can be accomplished by untiring industry. Mr. E. was twenty-five dollars in debt in 1869. He now owns over 400 acres of land, well improved and stocked, all of which he earned himself. He married in Kansas, Miss Annie Shirley. They have three children - George, Belle and Nora.
SAMUEL FARRAR, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 33, P. O. Nortonville, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Woodford County, December 12, 1814; was there educated and resided until twenty-three years of age, when he emigrated to Galena, Ill., and engaged in the lead mines. At the breaking out of the Mexican war he enlisted in the First Illinois Regiment. He participated at the battle of Buena Vista, where he received nine wounds. After a year's term in the service he was placed in the quartermaster's department, serving through to the close. After a few years' residence in Missouri, Mr. F. came to Kansas the spring of 1856, locating where he now resides. Was through all the difficulties of the eventful time that followed, but had but little trouble, as he attended strictly to his own business. Few of the old settlers of Jefferson County are more favorably and popularly known at the present time (1883), than Mr. F. He was married in Kansas to Miss Clarissa Alexander. By this union they have had eleven children, five of whom are living - Mary J., Margaret R., Charlie, Frederick and David.
GEORGE N. GODDARD, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 18, P. O. Nortonville. Among the leading farmers and stockmen of the county may be mentioned Mr. Goodard. His father, Benjamin, came to Kansas in 1856, with his family, including George, locating at Valley Falls. He took a claim on Crooked Creek, but did not survive to see much of the development of Kansas, his death occurring in the autumn of 1856. The subject of this sketch has been a resident of Jeffeson County since that time, closely adhering to agricultural pursuits, in which he has been eminently successful. He is a native of Indiana, and was born in Rush County. When he was three years of age his parents emigrated to Illinois, thence to Iowa, living first at Fort Madison, Lee County, afterward in in Adams County, from which point they came to Kansas. Mr. G. was married in Kansas, to Miss Rachel Coppinger, daughter of E. J. Coppinger, one of the early settlers of Jefferson County. They have nine children - Frank, Edward, John, Samuel, Rebecca, Jessie, Nellie, Robert, and May.
M. N. HART, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 1, P. O. Nortonville. In August, 1854, there came to Kansas, and to what is now Norton Township, an individual who pecuniary condition was very limited, and who, by being more than ordinarily tenacious, combined with untiring industry, has placed himself among the first rank of the solid men of Jefferson County. That man is M. N. Hart. He is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Fayette County, September 19, 1824; was there reared and educated. After attaining his majority, he came West and located in Buchanan County, Mo., residing a few years, and from that point he took up his residence in Kansas. His brothers, F. P. and N. C. Hart, are located in the same locality, being among the first. They were of Free-state proclivities, and naturally aroused the hostile feelings of the opposite faction, who, during 1856, were pillaging the people. The subject of this sketch, on several occasions, had to flee for his life. In one instance, after escaping from the field, where they came in on him, they left a notice at the house, if he did not at once leave the Territory they would hang him on sight. Again, at Hickory Point, several of them accompanied him along the road for the purpose of shooting him, but they being in a maudlin state from drinking, he dextrously made his escape. Mr. H. had come with a determination to stay, which he did, and has been amply rewarded. During those trying times, he had been getting his supplies from Missour, but as matters waxed warmed it was unsafe to make the trip, so they were obliged for several months to live on gritted corn. Salt was a commodity that was extremely scarce about them, and as a make-shift for that seasonable article he sawed up a couple of old salt barrels and boiled the salt out of them. Mr. H. was identified with the educational interests at an early day, and in every way has contributed to the general development of Kansas. Few citizens are more popularly know. He was married in Missouri, to Miss Sarah A. Welch, a native of Kentucky. By this union they have four children - Sanford C., Luella, Frank, and Fayette. Sanford C. is the agent for the A., T. & S. F. R. R. at Nortonville.
N. C. HART, miller, was born in Fayette County, Pa., February 5, 1821; was there educated and reared. After a residence of four years in Ohio, went to Missouri, locating temporarily, and in the spring of 1855, came to Kansas, locating a few miles northeast of Grasshopper Falls, in Jefferson County, being one of the pioneers in that locality, where he opened a farm, and was closely associated with the agricultural development of the county upwards of twenty-five years. During the war Mr. Hart belonged to the State militia. During the early days had many of difficulties to contend with that were incidental to the Kansas pioneer. In 1880, engaged in the milling business in Nortonville. He was married in Pennsylvania, to Miss Melinda Reynolds, of that State; they have five children - John B., James, Eliza, Jessie, and William.
S. C. HART, agent of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. This gentleman is a son of the pioneer citizen, M. N. HART, and was born in Jefferson County. Here he has been educated, reared, and became familiarized with his present vocation. He has been agent in Nortonville since September, 1881. Few men on the line are more popular.
R. S. HASKELL, architect, contractor and builder, was born in Herkimer County, New York, November 25, 1837; was there educated, reared, and learned the carpenter's trade, after which he came West, sojourned for a time in Iowa, eventually locating in Platte City, Mo., where he resided a number of years. In 1862, enlisted in Company A, Fourth Missouri Cavalry; was in a number of the early battles o the war; among these were Cane Hill and Van Buren. Mr. H. served three years and four months, and was honorably discharged. In 1872, removed to Atchison, Kan., and was interested in the building interests of that city up to a few years ago, when he became a resident of Nortonville. He is a skilled mechanic, and is doing a large amount of work. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, He was married in Missouri, to Miss Sadie Phelps. By this union they have four children - Annie M., Eva, Claude, and A??.
J. W. JONES, contractor and carpenter, was born in Clinton County, Mo., May 3, 1851. At an early age, with parents, emigrated to Texas, where he was educated and reared. In 1876, came to Kansas, taking up his abode at Locust Grove, Atchison County, pursuing farming for a time; the same year located at Cummingsville, engaging in wagon-making, and general repairing. He was married in Kansas, to Miss Rhoda F. Mayfield, a native of Atchison County, Kan. Her father, W. J. Mayfield, was one of the early settler at Locust Grove.
T. J. LOSEY, merchant, is a native of Indiana, and was born Mary 11, 1850. At an early age he removed with his parents to Schuyler County, Ill., where he was educated and reared to manhood. In 1877 he came to Kansas, embarking in trade at Concordia, and was afterward engaged in business in Cawker City, Mankato, Lyons and Topeka, locating in Oskaloosa in February, 1881. He was married in 1876 to Miss Emma Swinford, of Iowa. They have three children - Ira, Ernst and Grace. Mr. Losey is a member of the I. O. O. F.
JOHN LOW, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 26, P. O. Nortonville. Was born in Scotland February 14, 1831; was educated and resided in his native country until seventeen years of age; came to the United States, locating in Cleveland, Ohio, where he pursued the vocation of clerking in store for several years. In 1857, came to Kansas, settling in Jefferson County, where he has since followed agricultural pursuits. Mr. L. was one of the first settlers in his neighborhood. He was married in Ohio to Miss Ann Gibson. By this union they have had six children - Alexander, Sarah, David, Euphena and John M. Lost one - Allen.
C. C. McCARTHY, merchant and postmaster. In northeastern Kansas there are few who are more favorably known than Mr. McCarthy, being substantially identified with the county's growth and commercial interests. He is a native of Ohio, and was born in Hamilton County, June 24, 1841. At an early age, removed to Warren County, where he was educated and reared. In 1861, he was among the first to respond to the call for troops, and enlisted in Company C, Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was mainly in the army of the Cumberland, participating in the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, and other general engagements; served three years and three months, was honorably discharged, and returned home. When the call was made for 20,000 old soldiers to organize the Hancock Veterans, he again enlisted, serving in the veteran corps until after the close of the war, being honorably discharged in February 1866. Mr. McC. was thoroughly disciplined in military tactics, and was tendered an officer's commission but declined, preferring the duties of a private soldier. In 1866, he came to Missouri, locating in Middletown, Montgomery County, where he embarked in general merchandising, continuing until the spring of 1878. In 1879, was appointed postmaster, an office he held for eight years in Middletown, Mo. Mr. McC. is a mild, genial gentleman, possessing energy and will power to accomplish anything he undertakes. In business he has been eminently successful. He was married in Montgomery County, Mo., to Miss Alice Fleet, of that State. They have one daughter, Stella E. Mr. McCarthy is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the Presbyterian Church.
WILLIAM McCOY, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 26, P. O. Nortonville, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Franklin County, October 6, 1838; was educated and reared in the Buckeye State. In 1862, he enlisted in the Ninety-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. After serving a few months in the western department, he was discharged on account of disability. In 1868, came to Kansas, locating where he now resides in 1869. Mr. McCoy is one among the largest farmers in Norton Township. He was married in Ohio to Miss Tirzah BORLAND, now deceased. By this union, he has five children - Charles E., Joseph, William B., Beorge W., and James M. His present wife was formerly Miss Clara Hayes.
H. R. MAXON, M. D., homoeopathic physician, is a native of New York, and was born in Allegany County, February 18, 1839; was educated and reared in the Empire State. He came West in 1863, taking up his abode in Southern Minnesota, following various pursuits in that State nine years, when he returned East, and for eight years followed the profession of teaching in New Jersey. Then he took up the study of medicine, and graduated from the Homoepthic College of New York City in 1880. The summer of 1880 Mr. Maxon came to Nortonville. He has attained a well-merited reputation as a practitioner, is a well-informed gentleman on all the great subjects of the day, and an agreeable and entertaining conversationalist. The doctor is a member of the Seventh Day Baptist Church. He was married in Minnesota to Miss Olive A. Palmer, a native of Pennsylvania. They have two children - Ira L., and Albert H.
J. H. MILLER, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Nortonville, was born to Platte County, Mo., April 5, 1844. At an early age his parents removed to Andrew County, Mo., where he was educated and reared. He spent several years in Colorado, and in 1875 came to Kansas, locating in Jefferson County. Mr. M. is one of the representative farmers of Norton Township. He was married in Platte County, Mo., to Miss Mary L. Foley. They have five children living - George T., Nina L., Rhoda A., James W. and Claude E. Three deceased.
JOHN MOYER, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Nortonville, is a native of Virginia, and was born in Page County in 1846; was educated and reared in his native State, his early days being spent in tilling the soil. Mr. Moyer became a resident of Kansas in 1878, locating in Jefferson County, where he has since resided. He is a thoroughly schooled agriculturist and has made farming a success.
J. R. OLINGER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 4, P. O. Nortonville was born in Ohio, in 1851, At an early age removed with parents to Knox County, Ill., where he was educated and reared to manhood. His early days were spent in tilling the soil, a vocation he has since followed. Mr. Olinger came to Kansas, locating where he now resides in the winter of 1877. He was married in Kansas to Miss Mary Casebier. They have one child.
PAYNE & DAMM, machine ship and general repairing. B. B. Payne, of this firm, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Adams County, May 15, 1835. Came to Kansas, with parents in 1855, locating at Mount Pleasant in Atchison County, where his father, Henry Payne, who was a blacksmith, engaged in trade, being one of the pioneer vulcans in the State. The subject of the sketch persuaded the vocation of blacksmithing in Mount Pleasant for a number of years, coming form there to Nortonville, in July, 1873, erecting the second building in the town. Mr. P. has been closely associated with the development of northeastern Kansas. During the war was in the State Militia. He was married in Kansas to Miss Eliza Stevens. They have nine children - Maggie, Susan, Alice, Ellenora, Dollie, Lucy, Eva, Jessie and an infant. Mr. Payne is a member of the I. O. O. F.
A. J. PERRY, merchant, was born in Monroe County, N. Y., January 21, 1847 and was there educated and reared, and resided there until 1865, when he came to Kansas, locating at Valley Falls. For a time was interested in agricultural pursuits, after which he engaged in merchandising. In the autumn of 1879 he established himself in business in Nortonville. Mr. Perry is a business man in every sense of the word, and commands his share of the trade. He was married in Kansas to Miss Millie Kendall, a native of Maine. They have one daughter - Grace.
FRANK RUFFNER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 7, P. O. Nortonville, was born in West Virginia, March 4, 1848. When comparatively a young man he came to Kansas City, Mo, where he resided a number of years. In 1874 he came to Kansas and located in Johnson County, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1879, when he came to Jefferson County and located where he now resides. Mr. Ruffner is a thoroughly skilled argriculturist and a successful famer. He is a member of the Masonic Order. He was married in Kansas City to Miss Annie Stall. They have two children - Benjamin C. an Hattie. The father if Mrs. R. is the proprietor of the Saunders House at St. Joe. Mo.
JOHN SHUGHART, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 9, P. O. Nortonville, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Cumberland County, November 20, 1828. Was there educated and reared, following agricultural pursuits in his earlier days, which he has continued to adhere to. In 1871 came to Kansas, locating in Leavenworth County. In 1872 took up his abode where he now resides. He has a desirable location and a fine farm of 205 acres. He was married in Pennsylvania to Miss Mary Olle, a native of Cumberland County, born June 20, 1831. They have had fifteen children, five of whom are living - Sarah Ellen, William A., Jacob F., John and Andrew.
W. K. STONE, farmer and breeder of Short-horn cattle, Section 18, P. O. Nortonville, was born in Platte County, Mo., July 23, 1850. His father, Thomas F. Stone, was a pioneer of that county. W. K. was there reared. His early days were spent in tilling the soil. Was educated at the Christian Brother College, St. Louis, Mo., from which he received the degree of A. B. in 1877. He came to Kansas, locating where he now resided in 1879. He has a fine farm and a desirable home. Mr. S. was married in Platte County, Mo., to Miss Laura B. Gabbert, daughter of J. Ira Gabbert, a native of that county. She graduated at Daughter's College in Platte County, Mo., in 1873. By this union they have one daughter - Susie M.
JOHN TAGGART, merchant, came to Kansas in August, 1866, locating in Pardee, Atchison County, where he did a general merchandise business for three years. In the spring of 1873 came on the ground where Nortonville stands and erected the first building, the store now occupied by A. J. Perry, in which he opened a general stock, engaged in buying grain and produce generally; with the exception of a short period being out of trade, has been identified with the Nortonville interests. Mr. T. was the first postmaster and continued in that capacity up to the time of going out of business in 1880, when he resigned. He is a courteous gentleman, applying himself closely to the details of his trade, and is very practical; is closely identified with the Methodist Church, and is superintendent of the Methodist Episcopal Sunday-school, always interesting himself in sustaining the moral status of the community. Mr. Taggart is a native of the Isle of Man and was born November 27, 1839; was there educated and reared and resided until 1866, when he came to the United States. He was married in Pardee, Kas., to Miss Euphemia Cummings. They have had five children, two of whom are living - Dora B., and Gussie May.
FRANK W. TRUSDELL, dealer in harness and saddlery. This enterprising young gentleman is a native of Illinois; when very young he came to Kansas with his parents, his father, James Truesdell, locating in Atchison, where Frank was educated and reared and leaned his trade. Located and opened up shop in Nortonville the autumn of 1880. He is a first-class workman, and it may be said that from the time he buckled down to business he has been doing a strapping trade.
DANIEL WEBB, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Nortonville, was born in Hocking County, Ohio, December 7, 1828. Came to Kansas in 1857, purchasing land in Jackson County, but did not locate in the State until 1860, when he settled where he now resides. He was married in Ohio to Miss Mary L. Lyman. They have three children - Frank C., Charlie and Annie M.
HIRAM WEBB, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 8, P. O. Nortonville, was born in Hocking County, Ohio, April 22, 1827; was there educated and reared. In the spring of 1858 he came to Kansas, locating where he now resides, being among the first in that locality. Mr. W. was a little more fortunate than many of the new comers to Kansas, being in easy circumstances and well supplied with provisions, which was fortunate for others who were not so circumstanced, as they always found him ready to assist. During the season of 1860-61, when the supplies were sent to the State, Atchison being the distributing point, those living in the south part of the State made his house a stopping place while en-route to and from, it being the only convenient house for miles around. Mr. W. was early identified with the educational interests of his district, and it was largely through his contributions and efforts that the first schoolhouse was built, in what was known then as the Rothschild District, named so by the citizens, as they considered themselves wealthy, it being the first schoolhouse in the country built independently by the citizens. They were, however reimbursed for the investment later out of the school fund. He has been continually farming, his landed estate, consisting of 440 acres of excellent land. In point of stock-raising he ranks among the leaders in the county. He was married in Ohio to Miss Irene Stiers, of that State. By this union they have had ten children, seven of whom are living - Manning, Mary, Liddie, Stephen, Edgar, Alfred and Irene. Himself and family are identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. H. WEBB, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 4, P. O. Nortonville, is a native of Ohio, born in Hocking County, May 29, 1836. Came to Kansas first in 1857, remained for a time; returned to Ohio, sojourning for two years; returned to Kansas and has since been a resident. Was married in Ohio to Miss Mary Anderson. By this union has two children - Bessie and Alma.
R. D. WEBB, M. D. The pioneer physician in Nortonville was born in Logan, Hocking Co., Ohio, April 9, 1837. Was educated and reared in his native town, and took up the study of medicine early in life, graduating in March, 1864, in the Starling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio. He at once entered the army after graduating as Assistant Surgeon of the Seventy-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the Rebellion, where he engaged in practicing in Logan, continuing until June, 1874, when he took up his abode in Nortonville, being the first practitioner in the place. The doctor is a man of broad views, a close applicant to his profession, and eminently successful in his practice. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Has been twice married, first in Ohio, to Miss Frankie Gage, now deceased. By this union has two children - Florence and Mabel. His second wife was formerly Miss Lena Ellerman, of Kansas. By this marriage they have two sons - Clayton and an infant.
GEROGE W. WEIDER, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Nortonville. One of the Atchison County pioneers that is deserving of special mention is Mr. Harrison Weider who settled with his family, including George W., in Walnut Township early in 1855, being one of the first in that locality. The family passed through all the troubles, having their full share, as they were of strong Free-state proclivities, dividing the time between farming and standing guard against the border ruffians; such was the initiation George W. had in Kansas. In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, Second Kansas Cavalry. He participated in a number of the general engagements in the Southwest, serving until the close, when he was honorably discharged as Corporal. Mr. Weider made his home in Atchison County until February, 1882, when he moved to his present location. He is a native of Iowa, and was born in Henry County, January 10, 1836; came from there to Kansas, and was married in 1856 to Miss Nancy McClintock, of Wapello County, Iowa. They have two children - Margaret and Harrison. Mr. Weider, in connection with farming, is largely interested in mining in Colorado, where he spent a portion of his time.
T. W. WEIGHTMAN, Nortonville House, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Indianapolis, December 17, 1826. At an early age he removed to Illinois, and lived for a number of years in Schuyler County, where he followed farming. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in the first Missouri Engineer Corps. He assisted in the construction of the breast works at Vicksbury; assisted through until the close of the war, when he was mustered out at Chattanooga, Tenn. In 1878, came to Kansas, locating at Beloit. In 1880, removed to Oskaloosa, and the autumn of 1882, to Nortonville, being constantly engaged in business. He was married in Indiana, to Mrs. Minerva Losey, of that State, widow of Samuel Losey, of Madison, Ind.; her maiden name was Herbert. They have had three children--Robert H., George E., and Clara A.