|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This is the only town in Jefferson Township, and is situated on the line of the Kansas Central Railroad. It is one of the oldest towns of the county, pleasantly located and is a thriving business point, with a population numbering about six hundred.
Scattered over a large area, with large residence and business lots, ornamented with shade and fruit trees, and with a staid and moral population this is one of the neatest, quietest and most attractive villages of the county.
The history of the town begins with the date of June 19, 1854, when William M. Gardiner made a land claim there. He drove his stake near the present Winchester Hotel, then returned East. He returned with his family in March, 1855, and built a cabin on his claim on Walnut Creek. He, on his prairie claim fenced a one- quarter section of land, about where the Academy addition to the town now is, and planted a few acres of corn, of which he received an abundant crop yield.
After the government land survey he sold his claim to Joseph Best, who continued opening out the farm. He soon built a cabin, and not long after another was built and they were joined together, and occupied as a hotel. It will be remembered that the location was on the line of the old military freight road. For this reason the hotel did a thriving business. Best's first cabin was built of rough logs, and, expect for a few nails, it cost nothing but his own labor.
Though quite a large settlement had been formed in the vicinity, no more was made to lay off a town until early in the year 1857. About this time the project was taken under serious consideration. There was a question as to where the site should be located. The place first chosen was at the big spring, about one and one-half miles further west, and it was to be named Savannah. But Alvin Best who had formerly lived at Winchester, Va., chose the present location, and gave it the name of Wincester. He being the oldest man in the settlement, his wishes were cheerfully acceded to by the others.
A town site was at once surveyed, which was the northeast quarter of Section 26, Town 8, Range 19 east. Since that time several additions have been made to the original town. They are, Trower's, Dodd's, Marlett's, Academy, and Hinchman's.
As soon as the town was laid out William Reboe located there, built a small frame building not far from what is now known as the "Old Stone Store," and opened a store, with a stock of dry goods and groceries.
During the summer of 1857, Reboe built the "Stone Store," which is a small building, still standing, near the Wincester Hotel. For several years this was the big store of the village, though it changed owners several times.
About the time the town was surveyed, Best sold his cabin to Jesse Yokum, and built a frame building a short distance east of where the hotel now is.
In 1857, Joseph Head opened a grocery and whisky (sic) shop, near the stone store. He soon sold out and built a larger house. After a few months he sold to William M. Gardiner, who continued the grocery business until 1859, when he sold to D. H. Wright, who died the following year.
The first physician was Dr. A. R. Cantwell, who located there in 1858. A tragedy took place on August 14, 1859, that caused considerable excitement. William Clark was shot and killed by William Pitcher, his brother-in-law. Clark was a desperado, and had sworn to kill Pitcher. When they met the former proposed to fight it out, and shot at the other, when he too drew a pistol, and Clark was mortally wounded.
The village increased in population and business but slowly until the advent of the Kansas Central Railroad, in 1872. But during that and the succeeding year it grew rapidly, since which time it has grown steadily but slowly until the present time. It is a quiet and homelike village, with little transpiring out the usual order of events.
Schools. - The first school was taught in the summer of 1858 by D. H. Wright, in a small box house, near where the hotel now is. He was paid by a subscription by the patrons. In 1859 a school district was formed, with Jas. Best, director; N. W. Taylor, clerk; and W. M. Gardiner, treasurer. A school was first taught by Samuel Betts, in a temporary building. A schoolhouse was commenced that year on the present site of the house in District No. 7, and Mr. Betts taught the first term of school therein in 1860. This house is now standing near the railroad depot. The public school districts are two in number, each taking in considerable territory outside the town. They are districts 91 and 7. In the former is a large two-story schoolhouse, and the latter has a smaller house. Each has two departments, presided over by able and careful teachers. In the year 1874 the Wincester Academy was established. It was the desire on the part of the leading citizens of the village to found an academy that should exist for all time and in course of time add a college. Therefore they formed themselves into a sock company, established the school, and soon, under a careful selection of instructors, brought it up to a high state of excellence. But financially it was not a success, and was discontinued in the spring of 1882. The building was blown down during a heavy storm on the night of June 16, following, and nothing left but a portion of its walls.
Churches. - the United Presbyterian Church has a membership of more than seventy. The first members in the community were T. C. Lytle and Elder Martin, and in November, 1869, they took steps for the organization of society therefore they secured the services of Rev. David Forsythe, of Valley Falls, who organized the church with fourteen members. A Sunday- school was organized at the same time. The church as erected in 1872.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1868, with Rev. Josiah Dodds as their pastor. It started out with a good membership, there already having been a large number of that denomination in the community. They have a good church edifice, built in 1869.
The Christian Church was erected in 1869. The society started out with a very good membership, and has ever since continued in a prosperous condition.
Societies. - Jefferson Lodge, No. 84, A., F. & A. M. was organized in 1869. The first lodge meeting in June, elected E. D. Russell, W. M.; S. R. Trower, S. W.; and Daniel Lowe, J. W. The charter members were: N. A. Howard, D. J. Griest, J. A. Gorham, Levi Wilheim, Harvey Walker, D. M. Beason, and R. C. Young. The present membership is upward of forty. They have a good hall. Their first building was burned down in 1870, but was again rebuilt.
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Winchester Lodge, No. 172, was organized on April 26, 1880. At their first meeting John Irwin was elected N. G., and J. E. Werst, secretary. The charter members were, besides the above: L. Clark, A. M. Russell, Jasper Ashwood, D. M. Bates, W. H. Brown and Joshua Simmons. The lodge now numbers over forty members.
Newspapers. - The Winchester Argus was established on June 12, 1877, by Thomas W. Gardiner, who published it until February 12, 1880, when he sold it to Will. A. Moulton, who on January 1, 1881, sold it to Edward White. About this time Mrs. D. W. Highland purchased all the material. On September 1, 1881, W. H. Howard took charge of it and kept it going until June 8, when John P. Coffin purchased an interest in it, and is its present editor. The paper is Republican in politics. Within two months after beginning its publication Mr. Coffin established a paper at Nortonville and another at Meriden.
The present condition of the village may be summed up as follows: There are about a dozen business houses, and the churches and societies are well represented.
JOHN AITKEN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Winchester, is a native of England, and was born in Berwichshire, February 28, 1848. Came to the United States in 1850, and to Kansas in 1875. Has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits. Previous to coming to Kansas was a resident of Washington County, Iowa, where he was married to Miss Sarah M. McCrea. They have three children- -Annie, William and Jennett.
WILLIAM A. BARNARD, teacher of school No. 23, Leavenworth County, Section 11, P. O. Winchester, came to Kansas at an early age with his parent, who located at Springdale, Leavenworth County, where they resided six years, and the removed to Winchester, Jefferson County, where they have since resided. Mr. Barnard was born in Steele County, Minn., June 28, 1859. He lived in his native State until 1867, when his parents moved to Gentry County, Mo., where they resided until September 20, 1870, and then came to Kansas. He is a graduate of Winchester Academy, class of 1880. Since his graduation he has been teaching, and has had charge of a number of first-class schools in adjoining districts in Leavenworth and Jefferson counties. He is regarded as a successful and thorough teacher, and is much respected b his pupils and their parents.
I. W. BROWN, M. D., was born in Randolph County, Ill., November 4, 1833. He was educated there and took up the study of medicine. He took lectures at Ann Arbor, Mich., eventually finishing his medical education at the Rush Medical College, Chicago, where he graduated. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in Company I, Twenty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was appointed Assistant Surgeon, and served in that capacity three years. In 1865 he located at West Salem, La Crosse Co. Wis., where he practiced his profession until 1872, when he took up his abode in Vermillion County, Ill. In 1880 he came to Winchester. Dr. Brown has a large and increasing practice. He was married in 1865 to Miss Martha Weir, of Illinois. They have five children - Flavia, Gracie L., Mary M., Martha E., and Isaac W. They have lost two - Ralph B., and Arthur L.
JOHN CARSON, horse-dealer and farmer, Section 27, P. O. Winchester, the leading importer and dealer in imported horses in northeastern Kansas. To Mr. Carson is due much credit for placing within the reach of the people horses of a superior grad, and raising the standard of horse-raising generally. His stables are supplied with Normans and Clydesdales, with unquestionable pedigrees, imported especially for him. The fall of 1882(?) he went to Scotland, and brought back several fine specimens of Clydesdale, which added to his already large stock. Mr. Carson is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Venango County, June 26, 1840. Was here reared and educated, following farming in early life. He came to Kansas in 1858, locating where he now resides. He was married in Iowa, September 8, 1868, to Miss Rebecca Dill. They have one son - Alexander Orr. He and his wife are members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church.
LAKE CLARK, boot and shoe dealer, was born in County Kings, Ireland, October 7, 1826, and came to the United States with his parents in 1834, locating in Holmes County, Ohio, afterward in Knox, Licking and Wyandotte. In 1846 he enlisted in Company B, Second Ohio, and started for Mexico to take part in the war. They did not reach Bueana Vista, being cut off, consequently did not see much of the trouble. Mr. Clark returned to Ohio, and eventually came to Illinois, and in 1853 located in Platt County, after which removed to DeWitt County. On September 19, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Thirty-ninth Illinois Infantry. In June, 1862, was discharged on account of disability, and in July of the same infantry. In June, 1862 was discharged on account of disability, and in July of the same year re-enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was transferred to the Light Artillery, and served until June 29, 1865, when he was honorably discharged, he having participated in a number of the stirring engagements in East Tennessee. In 1868 he came to Kansas, locating in Jefferson County, on a farm six and a half miles west of Winchester. In September, 1880, he engaged in business in town. Mr. Clark was married February 20, 1848, at Mount Vernon, Ohio, to Miss Eliza Arment. They have seven children living - Mary, Lucinda A., William A., Dorinda, Lambert, Nannie and Walter. He is a member of the Masons and I. O. O. F. William A., who is in business with him, also belongs to the I. O. O. F. and Masons.
JOHN P. COFFIN, of the Winchester Argus, was born at Haverhill, Mass., March 16, 1854. He is of Puritan stock, and inherits many of their traits. His ancestors came to New England in 1642, and settled on Nantucket Island. His maternal ancestors founded the first salt works in the United States, at Ipswich, Mass. In 1861, his parents started for St. Cloud, now Solomon City, Kan., but on account of guerrilla troubles, they remained at Matton, Ill., where they lived until the fall of 1866, when they removed to this State. In 1872, John P., though a minor, bought a drug-store at Solomon City. Previous to this he had begun learning the printer's trade, and having some leisure, he took a case into the store and set type. In the winter of 1874-5 he, for his health, removed to Denison, Tex., where he remained for some months working on the daily newspapers. Returning to Kansas, he sold his store and removed to Parsons, where he started a daily newspaper on September 12, 1876, which he continued for about year, when he sold it and removed to Kansas City, where he started a weekly newspaper, published it eight months, and sold it to accept a position on the Kansas City Times. Until the fall of 1881 he was connected with the above paper, traveling in its interests most of the time, when he left it to start an advertising agency in the same city. At the date above named he moved to Winchester and bought an interest in the Argus. He was married on December 31, 1877, at Parsota, Kan., to Miss Chariotte R. Jones. She was born in New York, August 16, 1855. They have two children - Joseph and Frank Pingry Coffin.
L. L. COLVIN, agent K. C. Branch U. P. R. R. This genial gentleman and popular agent is a native of Luzerue County, Pa. Came to Kansas in 1870. Has been in railroad business for several years, and in the employ of the U. P. at Winchester since 1881. Mr. Colvin, although agent for a narrow-gauge corporation, is a broad-gauged man.
J. D. COPPINGER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 28, P. O. Winchester. Among the pioneers who took an active part in developing Kansas, and who have made comfortable homes in Jefferson County, may be mention W. H. Coppinger, who with his family emigrated to the State in 1857, locating on Crooked Creek, in the locality where the subject of this sketch now resides. J. D., son of W. H. Coppinger, was born in Monroe County, Ky., February 20, 1840. Resided a few years in Buchanan County, Mo., from which place the family came to Kansas, where he has since been a resident, following continually agricultural pursuits. During the was Mr. C. was in the State Militia, was taken prisoner at the Big Blue engagement in October, 1864, and held for six days. He was married in Kansas to Miss Maggie Bell. They have five children - Essie E., William H., Andrew, Edith and Frank.
J. C. DAVIS, furniture dealer, was born in Butler County, Pa., March 4, 1838. Was there educated and learned his trade. In 1863 enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving one year, when he was honorably discharged. He was at the battles of South Mountain and Fredericksburg. He is a skilled mechanic and a genial gentleman. In 1873 Miss Maggie Lowry became his wife. They are both members of the United Presbyterian Church.
J. F. DENNEBER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 25, P. O. Winchester, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Campbell County, October 29, 1843. Early in life he removed to Ohio, where he was educated and reared. In 1861, he tendered his services to the Union cause, and entered the First Ohio Light Artillery. He was first mustered into the Twenty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He served through the close, participating in forty-eight general engagements. Was all through the Peninsula Campaign. Was wounded at the Battle of Gettysburg. At the first Bull Run engagement was taken prisoner, but made an adroit escape from the guards. Few men saw more service during the war than Mr. Denneber. He came to Kansas in 1865, settling in Jefferson County, where he has become one of its leading argriculturalists. He has been twice married, first to Miss Mary Pages, now deceased. They had four children - Charles, Fred, Annie and Amelia. His present wife was Miss S. T. Oliver, of Platte County. Mr. Denneber was a resident of that county one year.
D. ELLISON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 12, P. O. Winchester, was born in Stark County, Ohio, April 13, 1826. Was educated and reared in his native State. Came to Kansas in 1867, locating where he now resides. Mr. E. has a farm, and is one of the solid men of his township. During the war he served four months in the United States service, from Ohio. He was married in Ohio, to Miss Mary Chain. They have four children - Emerson, Josephine, Harry M. and Walter.
J. W. FARRIS, Section 33, P. O. Winchester. He is one of the largest real estate owners and stock-men of Jefferson County. He was born in Illinois, May 15, 1837. When six months old came to Missouri with his parents, his father, Isaac, locating in Buchanan County, being one of the pioneers of that part. The subject of this sketch was educated, reared and resided there until coming to Kansas, in the spring of 1868. Mr. Farris' landed estate consists of about 700 acres of land. He is an experienced farmer and stock-raiser, combining the practical with the theoretical. He was married in Missouri, to Miss Elizabeth G. Means, a native of Livingston County. They have one son - Marjor Thomas. Mrs. Farris is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
J. T. FULTON, Postmaster, Winchester, was born near Bellefontaine, Ohio, January 17, 1835. Was educated there. In 1856 removed to Illinois, and in 1862 enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was in a number of the stiffing engagements of its western division. Among these were Buzzards' Roost and Rasaca. At the latter had his skull fractured by a piece of shell. After serving two years, was honorably discharged and mustered out at Louisville, Ky., where he immediately re-enlisted in the regular army as Hospital Steward serving in that capacity until the close of the war, when he was mustered out at Macon, Ga., in 1865. He resided in Illinois, after the war, until 1869, when he came to Jefferson County, Kansas, engaging in agricultural pursuits a short distance from Winchester, which avocation he pursued five years, when he became a resident in town, embarking in the agricultural implement business for a time. In 1878, was elected Justice of the Peace, and in that capacity and Notary Public acted until September, 1881, when he was appointed Postmaster. Mr. Fulton is a genial gentleman, and makes a popular and efficient Postmaster. He is a member of the United Presbytrian Church, and a staunch Republican. In November, 1864, he was married to Miss Margaret Ferguson. They have eight children - Josephine, A. J., Elbert R. M., Ralph E., Nancy, Mary, William S., Juniata, and Maggie.
JOHN A. GORHAM, merchant, is deserving of special mention among the prominent men of this county. He was born in Indianapolis, Ind., January 27, 1841. Was educated in that city, learning the miller's trade, which vocation he pursued until the spring of 1862, when he enlisted in the Fifth Indiana Volunteer Cavalry, accepting the rank of Sergeant. Was in the Army of the Cumberland, participated in all the general engagements in that department, as Resaca was taken prisoner, and for eleven and one-half months endured the tortures of Andersonville and Florence prison pens. After being exchanged, he returned to his regiment, serving until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. He returned to Indianapolis, and in the autumn of 1867 came to Kansas, locating in Winchester. He embarked in merchandising, in company with Mr. L. Wilhelm, which partnership existed up to 1877. After carrying on the business alone for a time, Mr. T. E. Ickes became his partner. They carry one of the largest general stocks in eastern Kansas, and do a flourishing trade. Mr. Gorham was married in 1879, to Miss Minerva Marlatt, a native of Indiana. They have three children - Charles, Elbert E. and William E. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Jefferson Lodge, No 84, and the I. O. O. F., Winchester Lodge, No. 172.
W. M. GREGORY, insurance agent; on of the representative insurance men of the State, is the subject of this sketch. Mr. G. is a native of New York, and was born in Niagra County, April 4, 1849. Was educated and reared in the Empire State. For several years was a resident of Chicago Ill., from which place he came to Kansas in the spring of 1872, establishing himself in the insurance business in Leavenworth county, coming from there to Winchester, a few years later. He has built up a large business in northeastern Kansas, for a number of substantial companies, and commands the confidence of the people. Mr. G. is a member of the Masonic Order, and the I. O. O. F.; of the former is V. G., of Winchester Lodge, No. 172, and of the latter is secretary, of Jefferson Lodge, No. 84. He was married in Leavenworth County, Kansas, to Miss Mary C. Adams. They have three children - Libbie, Edith and Alice.
JOHN GWYNN, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Winchester, was born in Morgan County, Ind., February 1, 1836. Was there educated and reared, and resided in the Hoosier State until the autumn of 1865, when he came to Kansas, locating in Jefferson County, where he has since been identified with its agricultural interests. He was married in Indiana, to Miss Luana Rushton, now deceased. By this marriage has four children - Sylvanus S., S. E., W. A. and A. L. His present wife was formerly Mrs. Margaret Wise. By the latter marriage they have two children - Minnie and Ida.
CARY HINCHMAN, farmer and nurseryman, Section 26, P. O. Winchester. Among the '56ers of Jefferson County may be mentioned the subject of this sketch, who located five miles north of Winchester in that year, being one among the first in that part. Mr. Hinchman has since been identified with the nursery and farming interests of the county, with the exception of his time in the army. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company A, Eleventh Kansas, and in the capacity of First Sergeant participated in all the engagements that are credited to the old Eleventh. Mr. Hinchman is a native of Indiana, and was born in Rush County, September 1, 1835. Was reared and educated in his native State. He was married, in Kansas, to Miss Mary S. Simmons. By this union they have four children living, Edward, Walter A., Olive, and Luella; and have buried two. Was commissioned constable under Governor Denver's administration, and held the office of Justice of the Peace for twelve consecutive years; is not a member of any Christian or secret order.
DAVID HOUSH, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 35, P. O. Winchester, was born in Putnam County, Ind., September 15, 1834. Came to Missouri in 1838, locating in Boone County for a time, after which the family removed to Buchanan County, where David was educated and reared. His father Thomas, with the family, eventually removed to Texas, and from that State came o Kansas in 1860, settling in Linn County. In 1863 removed to Jefferson County, where David has since been a resident. He is numbered among the substantial farmers of the county. Has been Township Trustee for a number of terms, and otherwise identified. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Winchester Lodge. He was married, in Kansas, to Miss Emma Gwartney. By this union they have two children - Thomas F. and Addie E.
T. E. ICKES, merchant, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Columbiana County, September 8, 1836. At an early age he engaged in the office of the Sentinel, published at Canfield, Mahoning County, where he remained until he became proficient as a compositor. In 1857 he came to Kansas, locating in Lyon County, where he took a claim and turned his attention to farming for eighteen months, when he concluded to go farther west. He went to Colorado, and was for a time connected with the Rocky Mountain News at Denver, thence to Montana, and eventually returned to Kansas, locating in Jefferson County, in 1870. In 1878 he formed a partnership with Mr. John A. Gorham in business. He was married in 1870 to Miss Marietta Winchell, of Kansas. They have five children - Ada, Walter, Clarence, Theodore, and Bertha. The family are identified with the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Ickes is a member of the Masonic Order.
REV. A. J. LAWLESS, Pastor of the Oskaloosa charge, P. O. Winchester, was born in Adair County, Ky., March 27, 1850. At an early age he removed with his parents to Davidson County, Tn., near the city of Nashville, where he spent the sunny days of his childhood, and received the rudiments of an education in the common schools. At the age of sixteen he professed faith in Christ and united with the church of his choice. He was licensed to preach at the age of twenty, and soon afterwards entered Science Hill High School, where he completed a four years course of study with approval, under the presidency of A. F. Crawford. He then matriculated at the Vanderbilt University, and prosecuted his theological studies for two years under the late T. O. Sommers, D. D., L. L. D., Dean of the faculty and professor of systematic theology; A. M. Ship, D. D., professor of exegetical theology, J. C. Granberg, D. D., (now Bishop) professor of practical theology, and Andrew A. Lipscomb, D. D., L. L. D., professor of the laws of thought and criticism. In 1876 he was ordained to Deacon's Orders, by Bishop H. N. McTyeire; and joined the Tennessee Conference in 1877, and was transferred to the Western Conference the same year. January 22, 1879, he was happily united in holy matrimony to Mrs. S. A. Young, daughter of Giles Henderson, one of the first settlers in Leavenworth County, Kas. He was ordained that year to Elder Orders, at Council Grove by Bishop Keener. He has filled various stations of trust and honor, in the gift of the church. His fields of labor have varied from missions to the best appointments in the Western Conference.
J. E. MARTIN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 22, P. O. Winchester, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Butler County March 30, 1822; was educated, reared and resided in his native State until 1868, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Jefferson County. He is one of the most extensive farmers in his township, making a specialty of stock-raising. He was married in Pennsylvania to Miss A. Gibson, a lady of refined tastes. They have seven children - Lucy, Mattie, John, Rhoda, McInstry, Thomas, and William.
A. T. MATHEWS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 29, P. O. Winchester. This gentleman was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in September, 1828. At the age of twelve years with his parents he emigrated to America, the family locating in the Randolph County, Ill., where he was educated and reared to manhood, following continually agricultural pursuits. He resided in Randolph and adjoining counties until January, 1872, when he came to Kansas, locating where he now resides. Mr. Mathews is one among the many progressive and representative farmers of the county. Mr. M. is a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church.
GEORGE W. MILLER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 31, P. O. Winchester, is a son of J. Miller, and was born in Putnam County, Ind., December 20, 1842. He came to Kans. in 1860, locating in Jefferson County. From 1864 to 1868 he was in the employ of the Government; aside from that he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was married in Kansas to Miss Mary Housh. By this union they have three children - John W., George L. and James F. His estate consists of eighty-six acres.
J. MILLER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Winchester is a native of Tennessee, and was born in Claiborne County, in 1815. He came to Kansas with his family in 1860, from Indiana, where he had been a resident for a number of years. Mr. Miller was married in Indiana to Miss Nancy Riggies. By this union they have ten children - Starling, George W., John, William, Mary J., Ellen, Martha E., Columbus, Isaac and Noah.
ALLEN MOORE, farmer, P. O. North Lawrence, came to the State in 1866 and settled in Lawrence, but in 1875 he went out into the county on his farm, in Jefferson Township where he has since resided. Mr. Moore was born in Arkansas, April 3, 1858.
R. M. MORRISON, of the firm of Gregory & Morrison, insurance agents, is a native of Kansas and was born in Doniphan County, February 22, 1858. His father, William, was one of the pioneers in the Territory. R. M. was reared and resided for a number of years in Leavenworth County, where he turned his attention to the insurance business. He became a resident of Winchester in the autumn of 1882.
HENRY OGLE, famer and stock-raiser, Section 31, P. O. Winchester, came to Kansas in 1855, locating in Union Township, Jefferson County, not far from where he now resides. He was one of the pioneers of that locality, passing through all the difficulties of 1856. He encounted the drawbacks incident to the first settlers of the Territory. Mr. Ogle took no part in the Boarder war; during the Rebellion he was a member of the Kansas State Militia. He was principally educated and reared in Buchanan County. He was married in Missouri to Miss Nancy Courtney. By this union they have five children - Mary E., Josephine, Robert E., Caroline and Susan Jane. The family adhere to the faith of the old school Baptist Church.
LON. W. ROBINSON, editor and proprietor of the Winchester Argus, favorably know to the quill-driving fraternity of Kansas, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Pennsylvania, and born in Crawford County, April 5, 1851. When quite young his father, W. W., emigrated west with his family, sojourning for a time in Pike County, Ill., afterward in Topeka, Kas., locating in Valley Falls in 1861. Lon. took his initiatory education as a typo in the newspaper offices of Topeka and Valley Falls, and ha been identified with the press of that State for upwards of twenty years. In 1870 he established the "Western News," the first paper of Marion County, Kas., over which he officiated for a time, and sold out and started the second paper in Dickerson County. He also inaugurated and published papers at Jenkins Mills, Jefferson Co., Neb., and Curryville, Pike Co., Mo. From the latter place he returned to Valley Falls, where he was deputy postmaster until December, 1882, when he became owner of the Argus, making the first issue December 9. Mr. R. is one of the clear-cut and impartial newspaper men of the day, handling all subjects in a manner that indicates logic and good judgement. Politically he is a Republican. He was married December 16, 1876, in Pike County, Mo., to Miss Julia G. Mitchell, of that county. They have one son, Paul. Mr. R. is a member of the I. O. O. F.
DAVID SMITH, hotel and livery, is a native of Maryland, and was born in Frederick County, May 2, 1823. He was reared and educated in his native State. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1855, being among the first settlers at Springdale, Leavenworth County. During the border troubles Mr. Smith had all the difficulties to contend with. He was a strong Free-state man, and the Pro-slavery party continually kept robbing him, destroying his household effects, running off stock, etc.; notwithstanding, he lived it through to see the cause he advocated triumph. He was the only one from his part who would make a trip to Leavenworth at one time, it had become so dangerous. In 1864 he engaged in the livery business in Leavenworth, eventually returning to the western part of Leavenworth County, where he engaged in farming. For a while he was in the commission business in St. Louis, and in 1876 located in Winchester, where he has since been in trade. He has been twice married. First, in Maryland, to Miss Caroline L. Spaulding (now deceased). By this union he has three children - Nickem, Bloomer and Roger. His present wife was formerly Miss H. E. Bowers. They have eight children - James E., Ella, M. S., Carrie, Eddie, David, Walter. They have lost one, Willie.
SAM SWOYER, farmer and stockman, Section 12, P. O. Wincester, favorably known as one of the successful farmers and stockmen of Jefferson County. He is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Cumberland County, February 6, 1838. When young he removed to Baltimore, Md., where he was principally reared. In the spring of 1857 he came to Kansas, locating in Leavenworth, where he embarked in mercantile pursuits, continuing until 1859, when he engaged in farming where he now resides. He was married in Kansas, to Miss ELiza Campbell. They had seven children - Jacob, Sarah W., Frederick, Sam Jr., Katie M., Frank, and Bessie. The summer of 1882 Mrs. Swoyer's death occurred. She was a lady possed of those graces of heart and mind that endeared her to a large circle of friends. Mr. S. is a member of the Masonic Order.
H. G. TALCOTT, blacksmith and wagonmaker. This favorably known fellow-citizen is a native of New York, and was born in Ontario County, April 13, 1832; was there educated and partly learned the trade he now pursues. In 1857 he came to Kansas, locating in Leavenworth County, and engaged in agricultural pursuits, continuing until 1864, when he came to Winchester, embarking in the blacksmithing business. He has been closely identified with the progress of the town, and has been Assessor of Jefferson Township. School Director for five years, and Clerk of the School Board for several years. In February, 1882, he was elected Justice of the Peace. Mr. Talcott is a gentleman of excellent judgement, conversant with the current evens of the day, and an enterprising man. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He has been twice married - first to Miss Susan Lannon, of New York. Her death occurred in 1859. They had two children, both of whom are dead. He was married again February 14, 1861, to Miss Susan Smith. They have five children - Stephen, Mary, Charles, Hattie, and Carrie.
GEORGE TEDBOW, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 30, P. O. Winchester, one of the progressive and substantial farmers of the State, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Ohio, and was born in Hamilton County, April 20, 1839, and was reared and educated in the Buckeye State. He resided a few years in Indiana; from there returned to Ohio, and came to Kansas in 1870, locating in Jefferson County. He was married in Indiana to Miss M. J. Evans, an estimable lady of Dearborn County. By this union they have six children - Henry F., Louie A., Thomas L., Bertha M., Flora A., and Olive H.
JOHN WEISHAR, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 7, P. O. Winchester. On May 15, 1855, Mr. Antony Weishar took up his abode in Kansas, his family, including John, locating in Jefferson County. The senior Weishar was closely identified with the agricultural interests of Kansas up to the time of his death, a few years ago. John has been a resident of Kansas since 1855. In 1862 he enlisted in Company K, Thirteenth Kansas. He participated in all the general engagements with his regiment, serving until the close of the war. He is a native of Iowa, and was born in Lee County, October 31, 1843. He was married in Kansas, to Miss Lucetta Dalton. They have seven children - Obia, Ole, Foy, Richmond, Lillie, Lula and Alda. He and his family are identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. L. WRAY, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 31, P. O. Winchester, came to Kansas in the spring of 1860, locating in Coffey County. In 1865 he came to Jefferson where he has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits. Mr. W. is a native of Indiana, and was born in Shelby County, September 6, 1836. When he was very young, immigrated to Missouri, his father, Jordan, being one of the pioneers of Rock House Prairie in Buchanan County. J. L. was there educated and reared. He was married in Missouri to Miss Frances A. Varvel. They have nine children living - W. J., M. A., T. L., Charles B., Esther A., A. T., Dolly J., Tempy V. and Miama E. Lost three - Caroline, Sarah E. and Henry P. He and his family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
R. C. YOUNG, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 2, P. O. Winchester, is a son of Judge W. J. YOUNG, one of the pioneers of Atchison County, Kas., his interests there dating as far back as 1853. R. C. is a native of Missouri and was born in Buchanan County, December 12, 1842; was a youth when he came to Kansas. Judge Young was a man of conservative Pro-slavery sentiments, and his son naturally took the same stand on those issues. He contributed his mite during the troubles of 1856, doing guard duty, when required. Mount Pleasant, where they resided, was frequently raided by the jayhawkers, and the Youngs, with others, lost about all their effects. In 1862, the subject o this sketch enlisted in the Thirteenth Kansas; was at the battles of Cane Hill and Prairie Grove; owing to ill health he was honorably discharged, after serving a few months. In 1868 he became a resident of Jefferson County, where his interests have since been; for a number of years was in Nevada and California, engaged in mining and other pursuits. Mr. Y. is well versed in the current events, and important epochs of the day, and is a brilliant conversationalist. He is a member of the Masonic Order. He was married in Kansas to Miss Cynthia Henderson. They have a family of four children - Nannie, Duke, Mary, and Theodora.