|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (INSLEY - WORSWICK).
J. N. INSLEY, real estate agent. Among the truly representative citizens of Oskaloosa may be mentioned Capt. Insley, as he is generally called. He came to Leavenworth, Kas., in 1858. His brother, M. H. Insley, Esp., was at that time proprietor of the Mansion House., in that city. With him he remained about a year, and then went to Pike's Peak, the gold excitement being at its zenith at that period. After spending two years in the far west he returned to his native State, Indiana. In July, 1862, he took an active part in organizing a company for the Seventy-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and as Second Lieutenant went south with the same. He participated at the battle of Murfreesboro, and other minor engagements, acting as Adjutant under Col. A. O. Miller. His military career covered a period of eighteen months, being discharged on account of disability brought on by an over-exertion in a forced march to Hartsville, Tenn. He had been promoted and commissioned as First Lieutenant, and his commission for the Captaincy was about to be ordered when he was discharged. Leaving the service he sojourned temporarily in Indiana, and came on to Kansas, locating tributary to Oskaloosa, where he turned his attention to farming. Securing a government contract, he supplier for two years a large amount of forage for the sustenance of the troops in these parts. He was also for a time the proprietor of the leading hotel in Oskaloosa. Officially Capt. Insley served the people of Jefferson County two terms as County Clerk, being elected by the Greenback ticket. For six years he has been a member of the State Board of Agriculture, and in the season of the 1882 had the management of county displays at the Bismark National Fair. All commendable enterprises that have been put forward in Oskaloosa have received his hearty endorsement and support. He has done much toward the beautifying and building up of the town. Politically, Capt. Insley was always a Republican until the organizing of the Greenback party, where he has since been. For the past few years he has been largely interested in the real estate business, in which he has been eminently successful. He was married in Vermilion County, Ill., June 11, 1864, to Miss Jennie Johnson. They have three children--Gertie, Frank and Jessie. Mr. I. is a member of the Masonic Order, and was a charter member of the Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, at Oskaloosa. During the grasshopper invasion of 1875 he was the first man in the county to discover that the insects could be driven into pits and buried. He destroyed all the young pests on his farm, and only lost his crops when overrun by swarms from the woods a mile away.
HENRY KEELER, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Bradford County, April 12, 1836. He read law in that county and was admitted to the bar in 1862. In the same year he went into the United States service as Second Lieutenant in Company B, of the One hundred and Forty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was afterward promoted to First Lieutenant. After serving about one year he resigned on account of ill health. He was also afterward a First Lieutenant in the Thirty-seventh Pennsylvania Infantry. In 1868 he came to Kansas and located in Oskaloosa. He was married in 1867 to Jennie M. Morse, of Volney, N. Y., and they now have two children. He is still engaged in the practice of law.
A. W. KEELING, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 9, P. O. Oskaloosa, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Allegheny County, where he was educated and reared. In early life he followed for a number of years the vocation of school teaching in Pennsylvania and Ohio, living in Hamilton County of the latter State for twenty-five years. In 1879 he came to Kansas, locating where he now resides. Mr. Keeling is closely identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church, is well read, and thoroughly conversant with the events of the times. During the war he served with the hundred-day men.
JOHN KELSEY, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Oskaloosa, is a native of Iowa, and was born in Cedar County, May 16, 1857. He was educated and reared to manhood in the Hawkeye State. His early days were spent in tilling the soil. He came to Kansas in 1879, locating in Kenosha, Wis., to Miss Jensey Cox. They have one daughter, Deliah.
D. H. KLINE, merchant, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Allegheny County, December 25, 1831, When young he remove with his parents to Trumbull County, Ohio, where he was educated. After attaining his majority he went to Iowa, and was one of the early settlers of Wapello County, locating twelve miles north of Ottumwa, where he was engaged in farming a number of years. In 1867 he came to Kansas, locating on a farm seven miles northwest of Oskaloosa, where he farmed until 1875, when he took charge of the Grange store in Oskaloosa, which he operated three years. He has since been in business and eminently successful. He was married in 1856 to Miss Irena D. Cole, of Zanesville, Ohio. They have four children--William H., Robert., John P. and C. E. Mr. Kline is a member of the A. O. of O. F.
C. B. McCLELLAN, merchant, is a native of Ohio and was born in Wayne County, May 7, 1823. He was principally reared and educated in Greene County. His father, John, was a farmer in the Buckeye State. In 1857 Mr. McClellan came to Kansas, locating on Oskaloosa he engaged in merchandising. He is the oldest in this branch in the town. He was the first Free-state Treasurer of Jefferson County. Was a delegate to the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention, and has otherwise been officially identified since he came to Kansas. In 1865 he returned to Ohio an did business there until 1868, when he again removed to Oskaloosa. There are few, if any, men in the county more popular than Mr. McClellan. During the war he assisted in organizing a company of militia, of which he was Captain and afterwards Adjunct of the regiment. They participated in the Big Blue engagement against Gen. Price in 1864. He was largely instrumental in the building up of the Presbyterian Church of the town. He also takes advance (sic) views on the Temperance question and other moral reforms.
T. McINTOSH, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 10, P. O. Oskaloosa. This substantial farmer is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Fleming County. When young removed to Parke County, Ind., where he was educated and reared: after attaining majority, emigrated to Iowa, locating in Mahaska County. In 1862 he enlisted in the Thirty-third Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served several months. In 1866 he came to Kansas, for a number of years; has been largely identified with the agricultural and live-stock interests of Jefferson County. "McIntosh," a station on the L. & S. W. R. R., derived its name from the subject of this sketch. Mr. McIntosh has been married twice, first to Miss Julian A. Jackson, now deceased. They had three children--J. C., Nevada and M. E. His present wife's maiden name was Annie E. Brown; she is a native of Orange County, N. Y. By this marriage they have four children--S. T., C. W., V. K., and J. T.
PROF. M. J. McGREW, the present (1883) principal of the Oskaloosa school, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Wayne County, February 8, 1855. After receiving the benefits of the common schools of his native county, he attended and graduated from the Central Normal College at Danville, Hendricks Co., Ind. For two years he pursued the vocation of school teaching in Indiana and also for a time in Illinois. The spring of 1880 came to Kansas, taking up his abode in Concordia. In 1881 became a resident of Jefferson County, teaching a term in the college of Oskaloosa. The autumn of 1882 assumed the Principalship of the public school. Prof. McGrew is a scholarly gentleman, awake to the important duties of his calling, and ranks among the leading educators of the State. September, 1881, he was married to Miss Emma E. Saunders, of Hendricks County, Ind., an estimable and accomplished lady.
HON. AMOS McLOUTH, contractor, was born in Bedford Township, Monroe Co., Mich., November 30, 1838. In the summer of 1863 he enlisted in Company M, Eighth Michigan Cavalry, and served until after the close of the war; while in the service he was attached to the Quartermaster's department most of the time. in the spring of 1868 he came to Kansas; about five months later he located in Union Township, Jefferson County, having located about 6,000 acres of land for himself and others during that period. He has served seven years as Treasurer of Jefferson County, a longer time than any man in the 1880 he was elected State Senator, which position he now holds. The town of McLouth, on the L. T. & S. W. R. R., is situated on his farm. Land which he purchased in 1868 for $3 per acre, he is now disposing of in town lots at as high rates as 300 per acre. The Senator is engaged in iron bridge and other contracting--being connecting with the Missouri Valley Bridge Co., of Leavenworth, Kas. He was married in Bedford Township, Monroe Co., Mich., in October, 1861 to Agnes E. Leach, a native of Pennsylvania.
JAMES MAINE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 10, P. O. Oskaloosa, is a native of Scotland, was born in 1842. When six years of age, his parents emigrated to America locating in Cass County, Ill., where he was educated and reared. He came to Kansas in 1871, locating in Jefferson County, where he has since been identified with its live stock interests, make a specialty of Poland China hogs and graded cattle. In 1862 Mr. Maine enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and First Illinois Volunteer Infantry, participating in the battles of Vicksburg, Missionary Ridge, and others, being with Gen. Grant in all the heavy engagements of that campaign. He was married in Kansas to Miss Ellen Dick. They have three children, Mary A., Maggie V., and James R. Mr. Maine and family are members of the Presbyterian Church.
D. H. MORSE, attorney, is a native of New York, and was born in Oswego County, September 30, 1837; was educated and reared in his native county. Took up the study of law in Fulton, Oswego County, and was admitted to the bar in Syracuse in 1859. In 1862 came to Fulton County, Ill., where he practiced his profession until 1865, when he became a resident of Oskaloosa. Mr. Morse is recognized as one of the leading attorneys of the county. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P. He was married in 1863 to Miss Hannah King. They have one son by this union, William J.
T. H. NOBLE, merchant, was one of the first settlers in Jefferson County. He is a native of Missouri, and was born in Howard County, October 13, 1827; when quite young he removed with his parents to Platte County, his father, Dr. James Noble, being among the pioneers of the Platte Purchase. He had been a soldier in the Black Hawk war. In October, 1854, the family, including T. H., came to Jefferson County, Dr. Noble being the first practitioner in this part. He took a claim, which now is embodied in the town site of Oskaloosa. He was identified with the development of the county for a few years, when he removed to Nebraska, and eventually to California, where he died. T. H. took a claim three miles east of Oskaloosa, where he developed a farm and resided several years, being one of the first farm openers in the county. He had all the difficulties of the early border troubles to contend with, being a strong Free-state man. Was a participant in the Hickory Point engagement, where he was taken prisoner. During the war was in the State militia, and took part in squelching the Price movement in Missouri. The greater portion of the time since 1870, has been engaged in merchandising in Oskaloosa. There are but few persons more favorably known. He was married in 1852 to Miss Rhoda J. Trapp, daughter of the Rev. Terry Trapp, a Baptist divine, who was a pioneer and held the first services of that denomination in Jefferson County. During the rebellion he was in the Kansas State Militia. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., and K. of P.
GEORGE A. PATTERSON, District Clerk, was born in Huron County, Ohio, July 8, 1846; was educated and reared in the Buckeye State. After receiving the benefits of the Oberlin College, took a course at Iron City Commercial College in Pittsburgh, Pa. In 1867 came to Jefferson County Kas., where he has since been a resident, principally following agricultural pursuits. Mr. Patterson was married in Kansas to Miss Helen L. Jones, of Montgomery County, Ill. They have by this union five children--Celia J., Albert, Ray, Lottie and Irene.
SAMUEL PEPPARD, proprietor Oskaloosa steam saw-mill, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, September 30, 1833; was educated and reared in his native State. He was among the pioneers of Central Iowa, locating in Dallas County, at an early day; from thence came to Kansas in 1858, locating in Oskaloosa. He was a millwright by trade and erected a saw-mill close to town. He has since been interested in the mill business. In 1860, in company with John Hinton, of Oskaloosa, constructed a wind wagon, on which they started for Colorado, being three weeks on the route; but only about nine days' favorable travel. This is now the only instance on record of successful navigation on dry land with a sail. Mr. Peppard, in 1862, enlisted in Company C, Second Colorado Volunteers, serving three years and three months, the greater portion of this time in the capacity of Sergeant. For a considerable length of time was a recruiting officer. Since the war has been a resident of Oskaloosa. He was married in Kansas in 1868, to Miss Alice M. Clark. By this union they have seven children - Hortense, Capitola, Bertha, Francis M., William, Raymond and an infant.
J. PETERSON, M. D. is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Westmoreland County, October 3, 1820; was there educated and reared and came to Ohio in 1848. He took up the study of medicine and graduated at the Jefferson Medical College, Pennsylvania. Resided for a time in Ohio, Illinois and Missouri, practicing his profession. Eventually in the autumn of 1858 came to Kansas, locating at Osawkie in Jefferson County, being among the early practitioners in that part. For a few years he was engaged in mercantile pursuits in Osawkie, and subsequently in Oskaloosa. He has also done considerable in the agricultural line since he has been in the State and now carries on a farm close to Oskaloosa where he is interested in the drug trade. Dr. Peterson served the county for two years as Probate Judge, and made a competent official. He is favorably known throughout the county. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
W. H. PRICE, postmaster, one of Oskaloosa's most popular citizens, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Michigan and was born in Detroit, May 9, 1851. In 1860, his father, Rev. L . D. Price, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, immigrated to Kansas with family, locating in Atchison County, where he resided for a time, coming from there to Oskaloosa. W. H. for several years was identified with the mercantile interests of Oskaloosa. The autumn of 1877 was appointed postmaster. Mr. Price was married in 1874 to Miss S. E. Wise of Oskaloosa. They have four children by this union--Luella K., L. P., O. M., and Charles C.
JOHN W. ROBERTS, editor of the Oskaloosa Independent, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, December 19. 1824. At the age of seventeen he began writing for the press, and soon acquired a reputation as a writer. In 1850 he became editor of the Miami Visitor, at Waynesville, Ohio, which he continued until 1860, when he sold the office and established the Independent at Oskaloosa, Kas. During the civil war he had many unpleasant experiences on Oskaloosa, on account of his strong opposition to the lawless element, which had grown up in Kansas a a consequence of the long continued struggle to make it a free State. The jayhawkers on several occasions threatened to burn the Independent office and hang the editor, and laid many plans for the execution of these threats. But he was advised of their intentions, and frustrated their designs. He continued a bold, fearless, and persistent opposition to the jayhawkers until they were driven from the country. In 1874, while in Denver for a short time, he was temporary editor of the Rocky Mountain News, during the absence of the regular editor. Here he received the compliments of Gov. Evans, and Hon. Schuyler Colfax, who were visiting Denver at the same time. In April, 1875, he purchased the Leavenworth Daily and Weekly Commercial, which he sold again after a few months. In July, 1882, he turned over the entire management of the Independent to his son, F. H. Roberts, and retired from active newspaper work. He was married October 10, 1850 to Miss Hulda Fairholm, of Waynesville, Ohio. They have several children.
F. H. ROBERTS, was born at Waynesville, Ohio, July 25, 1851, and moved to Oskaloosa, Kas., with his parents, July 17, 1862. Worked as a printer in its publication. On September 12, 1879, he severed his connection with the Independent and removed to Topeka, where he served first as city, then as assistant editor of the Daily Capital, until November, 1881, when he leased the office of the North Topeka Times, and published that paper until March, 1882. On July 18, 1882, he returned to Oskaloosa, and took entire charge of the office of the Independent. On May 13, 1878, he was married to Miss Emma L. Wilkins, of Sugar Grove, Indiana. He has two children, both born at Topeka. John W., born July l3, 1880, and Euguene S., born November 13, 1881.
H. B. SHAEFFER, attorney, the present (1882) county attorney of Jefferson County, was born in Center County, Pa., March 4, 1856. In 1866 he came to Kansas with his parents, his father, Israel B. Schaeffer, Esq., locating in Valley Falls. H. B. received the benefits of a good education, after which he took up the study of law, graduating from the Michigan Law School at Ann Arbour, in the class of 1878. Returning to Kansas he located in Valley Falls. In the autumn of 1878 was elected county attorney and re-elected in 1880. Mr. S. is among the most successful practioners (sic) in the county. He was married in 1878 to Miss Clara E. Miller, of Illinois. They have two children - Mary and Frank. he is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
THOMAS SHAW, farmer, and stock-raiser, Section 17, P. O. Oskaloosa, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Greene County May 20, 1842; was there educated and reared. At the breaking out of the Rebellion, enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and First Illinois Volunteer Infantry. After serving eight months, was honorably discharged on account of disability. In 1864 he came to Kansas, and has since been following agricultural pursuits, and has been eminently successful. Mr. S. is one of the solid farmers of the country. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and K. of P. He was married in Illinois, to Miss Eunice Hudson. By this union they have eight children--James, Robert, Albert, and Ella; lost three--Ada, Effie, and John.
JONATHAN SHOVE, farmer and stock raiser Section 8, P. O. Winchester, is a native of England, and was born in Surrey May 30, 1833. When young came to the United States, locating in Illinois, where he was a resident for a number of years. During the American Rebellion he responded to the ninety-days' call for troops, enlisting in the Twelfth Illinois. he came to Kansas in 1864, and located where he now resides in 1865. His wife's maiden name was Miss Mary Ann Buck. They have one son, Ralph H.
J. W. SHRADER, farmer and stock-raiser Section 16, P. O. Oskaloosa. Among the early settlers in Jefferson County was the Shrader family, who located in Oskaloosa in 1857. J. W. was born in DeKalb County, Ind., July 31, 1842. He there resided until coming to Kansas, with his parents. His father is still a resident of Jefferson County. In 1863 the subject of this sketch enlisted in the Second Kansas, serving two months, when he joined Company D. of the Old Eleventh, serving until the close of the war. For nine months was in the Commissary Department. He was married in Jefferson County, to Miss Loretta Connell. They have three children by this union--William, Cora, and Victor. Mr. Shrader is a member of the I. O. O. F.
J. L. SINNARD, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 4, P. O. Oskaloosa. This representative citizen is a native of Ohio, and was born December 14, 1813. When six years of age, emigrated with his parents to Sagamon County, Ill., where he was educated and reared, his early life being spent in tilling the soil. In 1836 he moved to New Lexington, Van Buren Co., Iowa; remained there a short time, and then moved to Wapello, where he stayed until the spring of 1858, then moved to Kansas. Mr. Sinnard has a desirable home adjacent to the corporate limits of Oskaloosa, which he built a few years ago. He has been twice married. His first wife, now deceased, was a Miss Sinnard; by this union has one son, Courtland, who is also a resident of Jefferson County. His present wife's maiden name was Polly Ann Rubel, a native of East Tennessee. They were married in Van Buren County, Iowa, September 12, 1843. Mr. and Mrs. Sinnard are closely identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JAMES SPRAGUE, liveryman, is a native of Michigan, and was born in Jackson County, June 10, 1831. When young he came to Iowa, with his parents, locating in Lee County. In 1858 he came to Kansas, locating in Manhattan, and engaged in freighting for a few years, after which he took up his abode Platte City, Mo. where he was favorably known in the livery business several years. He was also in the livery business in Valley Falls and Leavenworth previous to coming to Oskaloosa. Mr. Sprague is the right man in the right line. He was married, in 1850, to Miss Susan McKelvy, of Kansas. She was born in Armstrong County, PA. She came to Kansas in 1857. They have two children, Hiram Clarence and William A.
B. P. STANLEY, Justice of the Peace, is a native of Vermont, and was born March 31, 1836. At an early age he removed to Waltham, Mass., where he was educated, and at the breaking out of the war he received an appointment as Paymaster's Clerk in the Naval Department, in the employ of Judge Day who was transacting some important business connected with the Government affairs. Mr. Stanley has since made his home in Oskaloosa. In 1866 he was elected by the Republican party as Clerk of the District Court, serving two terms. Has been Deputy Treasurer, and held minor offices. He is a member of the Masonic Order. In 1867 he was married to Miss Phoebe Fairholm. They have one daughter, Edith.
W. D. TRAPP, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 19, P. O. Oskaloosa, was born in Platte County Mo., April 1, 1839. In October, 1854, he came to Kansas with his parents, his father, Mr. Terry Trapp, being one of the pioneers of Jefferson County, and favorably known in those halcyon days. W. D. being a mere lad during the bloody and trying scenes of 1955-'56, did not participate in any of the battles and bloody scenes of those days, but following continually agricultural pursuits, in which he has been successful, and is one of the prosperous farmers of this township. Few men in the county have seen more of its development. He was married, March 14, 1861, to Miss R. A. Grimes. They have three children--Lulu Capitola May, Nim, and Lewis Edward.
SAMUEL WAGNER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 8, P. O. Winchester. This gentleman was born in Cumberland County, Pa., March 13, 1824. He spent a number of years in the State of Ohio, eventually locating in McDonough County, Ill., where he was identified as an agriculturist until coming to Kansas in the autumn of 1867. Mr. W. is among the substantial men of Jefferson County, having made a success of farming by untiring industry. His estate is one of the most desirable ones of the county. He was married in Ohio to Miss Carrie G. King, an estimable lady of English birth. They have five children--J. Eurilla, William A., DeVere A., Frank E., and Ollie B. Mrs. Wagner and eldest daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
F. M. WALKER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 10, P. O. Winchester. This gentleman is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Green County, September 28, 1840, where he resided until 1855, when his father, Alexander Walker, emigrated to Kansas, locating in Leavenworth County, where he pursued agricultural pursuits up to the time of his death, several years ago. F. M. has been a resident of Kansas since 1855. During the war was a soldier in the Fifteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, County 1. He was married in Kansas. His wife's maiden name was M. J. Goode. They have three children--C. G., William R. and Laura V.
LEVI WILHELM, County Treasurer, Oskaloosa, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Bedford County, September 11, 1831. In 1840 he came to Missouri with his parents, locating on a farm in Buchanan County. In 1843 his mother died, and in 1844 he was deprived of his father by death. Young Levi hired out as a farm hand, and served in that capacity for two years, when he started on foot from Missouri, arriving in Hendricks County, Ind. Owing to a lack of funds he went to work on a farm, being compensated by a bushel of corn per day, equal at that time to 10 cents. In this way he earned enough to clothe and keep him during the winter, and in the spring hired out for $7 a month, and worked in this way for three seasons, going to school in bad weather. In 1850 he took land, which he tilled for one-fourth the crop. During the winter he went to school, paying $1.50 for board, and working mornings and evenings and Saturdays, and at the close of the school he was in debt $7, which he paid in making rails for 18 cents per hundred. He next apprenticed himself to learn the blacksmith trade. After working at the forge one year he found it detrimental to his eyes; so he once more turned his attention to farming, and being a thoroughly competent hand, he received $13 per month, which above the average. Desirous, however, to learn a trade, he went to work with James Rammel, a carpenter and builder, of Jamestown, Ind. At this time there was quite an emigration to Oregon, and he determined to go into that country. Leaving Indiana in the autumn, he went to St. Joe, Mo. there he found an opportunity to work his way, money not being abundant. Visiting a brother for ten days, he became tired of loitering and hired to a contractor and builder for $20 for the first month, $30 for the second, and $40 for the third. Finding that he was making his employer $3 a day, he concluded to become a contractor himself. He abandoned the proposed Oregon trip, and in a short time he had all the work he could do. He continued as a contractor, working two or three hands during the summer of 1853, and at the end of the season had about $500. Being in comfortable circumstances, he married Miss Rachel Gibson. In 1857, and the first of May of that year settled in Jefferson County, Kas., three miles east of Winchester, where he purchased 120 acres of land slightly improved. He worked on the farm and followed his trade alternately for some three years, when he purchased 120 acres more, adjoining the first purchase, and turned his entire attention to farming, with the exception of making his own improvements. March 1, 1865, in company with F. M. Johnson, bought out the mercantile establishment of H. F. Wooley. In two years he sold out to F. M. Johnson, and bought out Elson & Hull. he carried on business alone two years, when John A. Gorman became his partner. The firm existed until 1877, when Mr. G. withdrew. In the autumn of 1880 Mr. Wilhelm was the choice of the people for County Treasurer. He has been prominently identified with the public affairs in Kansas. He was one of the first Justices of the Peace under the State Government, and was elected three times. In 1867 was elected County Commissioner. Upon the organization of the Board was made its chairman. During the time he served in this capacity the courthouse was erected. In 1869 he was elected a member of the Lower House. In 1865 he was made Postmaster of Winchester, which position he held until elected County Treasurer. He has nine children--St. De Lean, Florence J., Melvina E., James M., George W., John H., Ella M., Charlie and Francis E. Early in life Mr. W. attached himself to the Methodist Episcopal Church and has always been a member. He has been a teetotaler all his life, abstaining from the use of liquors and tobacco. Commencing as he did in life, and what he has accomplished is a fair illustration of what can be attained where there is a will to execute.
B. R. WILSON, editor, was born in Fayette, Howard Co., Mo., July 4, 1833. He learned the printer's trade at Louisiana, Mo. He published the Northeast Missourian in that town for several years. He located at Leavenworth in May 1859, and was one of the publishers of the Herald, in connection with R. C. Satterlee, who was killed by Col. D. R. Anthony. He enlisted in the First Kansas Regiment at Lawrence in 1862, and served three years in the war of the Rebellion. On being mustered out he went to Ellsworth, Kan., and with E. C. Campbell, started the first paper in that county. In the fall of 1867 he located at Oskaloosa, where he has since remained.
J. P. WILSON, Clerk of Court. The present efficient Clerk of the Court for Jefferson County is a native of Ohio, and was born in Clifton, Greene County, October 1, 1844. At an early age removed with his parents to Illinois, locating in Knox County on a farm, where he was in the Army of the Tennessee, participating in a number of engagements. He was afterward clerk of in the Judge Advocate's office at Memphis, and took the depositions in the trial of the notorious and Confederate official, Mat. Luxton. In October, 1865, he was honorably discharged from the Government service. He resided in Illinois until 1869, when he came to Kansas. For two years was agent for the K. C. R. R. at Winchester. In 1876 he was elected by the Republican party as Clerk of Courts, and re-elected in 1880. He was married December 25, 1867, to Miss Hattie C. Vincent, daughter of Capt. Joseph A. Vincent, of Columbus, Ohion. They have three children--Ralph, John and Maud. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He is secretary of the Jefferson County Agricultural Society, and has take a live interest in the advancement of that organization.
JOSEPH WORSWICK, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 7, P. O. Oskaloosa, is a native of England, and was born in Lancashire, January 12, 1814. When young came to America, and was educated and reared in the State of New York. He learned the engraver's trade, and for a number of years followed that profession in Providence, R. I., Lowell, Mass., and other points where calico prints were manufactured. In 1847 came West, locating in Waushara County, Wis., where he engaged in agricultural pursuits and resided until November, 1875, when he took up his abode in Kansas. Mr. W. was married July 5, 1842, on Staten island, N. Y., to Miss Jane Woodruff, a native of Essex County, N. J. They have seven children--John A., Mary A. (now Mrs. Chase). Edward L., Loretta J. (now Mrs. Hilderbrand), Frederick, Henry Ward and William O. In 1862 Mr. W. enlisted in the Eighteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. After serving six months was honorably discharged on account of disability. His son, John A., was in the same regiment, and served until the close of the war. William O. Worswich is a school teacher by profession, and identified with the educational interests of Jefferson County.