|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALBERT - HURON).
E. T. ALBERT, agent for the L. T. & S. W. R. R. This popular gentleman is a native of Wisconsin, and was born in Walworth County, where he was educated and reared. His telegraphic and railroad education he received on the lines of the Western Union and Milwaukee & St. Paul. After becoming proficient he came to Kansas, entering the employ of the U. P. R. R. at Armstrong, where he perfected himself as a mechanical engineer, following that vocation for a time. For two years he was the company's agent at Linwood, coming from that point to Oskaloosa in August, 1882, being the first agent in the city. Mr. Albert is thoroughly acquainted with the important details of the business, and is substantially endorsed by the citizens of Oskaloosa.
J. W. BALSEY, physician and surgeon, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Zanesville, Muskingum County, November 14, 1845. He was reared in his native county, receiving the benefits of the Muskingum College, at Concord, after which he took up the study of medicine, and graduated from Starling Medical College, of Columbus, Ohio, in February, 1872. He practiced for several months in Ohio, after which he came to Kansas, locating in Oskaloosa. In the spring of 1880 he opened a drug store at Garrison, Pottawatomie County, which he removed to Oskaloosa in 1881. At the breaking out of the Rebellion, he enlisted in Company G, Thirty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He participated in many of the Shenandoah Valley engagements, the siege of Vicksburg, joining Sherman's army at Big Shanty, and was with him through to the sea. Served three years and was honorably discharged. He was married in 1873, to Miss Sarah Bonefield, of Muskingum County, Ohio. He is a Mason, a member of the K. of P. and A. O. U. W. He has been a successful practitioner, and ranks high in the medical profession.
J. H. BENNET, attorney, was bon in what is now Franklin County, Maine, August 24, 1824. His father, William Bennet, was a native of Massachusetts. J. H. was reared in his native State, receiving the benefits of a good education, after which he came to the West, locating at Marietta, Ohio. He pursued the vocation of school teaching considerably, eventually engaging as a clerk in a railroad office in Indiana. In 1857, came to Kansas, locating at Grasshopper Falls. He was soon elected Justice of the Peace, being the first by regular election. Philip Allen had been Justice of the Peace by appointment. He opened a law office, and dealt out legal lore to those in need of it. Also, in 1857, he was elected to the office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, of Jefferson County, being the first official in that capacity, the duties of which he discharged for four years. In 1863, was elected County Clerk, and at the close of his term in this office, was elected Clerk of the District Court. Since the expiration of his last official charge, he has principally devoted his time to the practice of his profession. Mr. Bennet is a close observer, an able writer, and has written a great many interesting incidents and historical facts pertaining to the primitive days of Jefferson County. He was married in 1865, to Miss Caroline Macomber, of Ohio. They have three children--Jeremiah H., Raphael V., and Eunice Kate. Mr. Bennet is a member of the I. O. O. F.
T. C BENSON, druggist, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Randolph County, September 2, 1856; was educated and reared in Wayne County. For one year he pursued the vocation of school-teaching, and was for four years in the drug trade at Fountain City. Came to Oskaloosa in the spring of 1882, and engaged in business. He is a clever gentleman, and has made himself eminently popular. Mr. B. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. R. BEST, County Clerk, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Clinton County, May 11, 1850; came to Atchison County, Kan., with his parents, in 1860. His father, John W. Best, was among the early and leading farmers of this county. J. R. was there reared and educated. For a time he was clerk in his brother's store in Monrovia, Atchison County. In 1869, came to Valley Falls, where he was engaged in the drug business for several years. In 1881, was elected to his present office. Mr. Best is a careful and competent official. He was married, in 1874, to Miss Laura A. Belan of Valley Falls. He is a member of the K. of P.
WILLIAM BLEVINS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Oskaloosa. For upwards of thirty-two years he has been a resident of Kansas. He is a native of Ireland, and was born in the north part of that country, September 13, 1822. He was educated and resided there until 1848, when he came to America; resided temporarily in the Eastern States, eventually locating in Columbiana County, Ohio, where he remained about two years, and learned the cooper's trade. In the spring of 1850, he came to Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and entered the Government employ in the capacity of teamster and general utility. Up to 1859 he was principally engaged in freighting across the plains to the different forts, being wagon-master the greater part of the time. He assisted in erecting the buildings at Fort Riley, in 1853, and those at Camp Floyd, Utah, a few years later. In the spring and season of 1856, was with Joe Johnson, then Colonel of the Topographical Corps, on the survey of southern and western Kansas. In 1853, was wagon-master for Major Ogden, and while on the expedition encountered some close calls from the Indians, who at that time were not very friendly. In fact, all his early years on the plains were a series of adventures and hardships incidental to all new countries, and particularly so in the domains of the red man. Mules and oxen were entirely used on those wagon trains, and the crossing of streams with abrupt banks, quick-sands, and currents, were among the every day obstacles to contend with. Mr. Blevins, being a man of robust constitution, persevering and daring, was the right man in the right place, and his services were highly appreciated by his employers. While in the Government employ he bought a claim adjoining the section where Oskaloosa now stands, and when the land came into market, secured, his title, and in 1860 located thereon, applying himself to agricultural pursuits since that time, in which he has been eminently successful. He was married, in 1860, to Miss Martha Chandler, of Missouri. They have five children--William, N., James C., John M., Elizabeth R., and Sarah E. Mr. B. is a member of the Masonic Order, Oskaloosa Lodge, No. 14, and Oskaloosa Chapter, No 9.
D. BRINER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Oskaloosa, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Cumberland County, April 19, 1824. When twenty-two years of age he removed to Lebanon, Ohio, where he resided for a number of years. In 1850 he emigrated to Iowa, being one of the pioneers of Mahaska County where he followed farming until coming to Kansas in the autumn of 1861, where he has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits, with considerable success. He was married in Kansas, to Miss Mary Wiley. By this union they have seven children--William A., James F., Elizabeth A., John D., Charles E., Joseph, and Sherman.
C. A. BUCK, M. D. and a farmer, Section 25, P. O. Oskaloosa, is deserving of special mention as one who has taken an active part in the political affairs of Kansas, as well as contributing substantially to its material welfare. He is a native of New York, and was born in Cayuga County, September 14, 1810. His great grandfather Buck was an aide-de-camp to General Washington at Valley Forge, and was appointed by him, when he became President, as Judge of the Southern District of New York, and while acting in that capacity narrowly escaped death at the hands of the Pennonites, who at that time were endeavoring to rule. He was a native of Philadelphia, and a prominent man of that day. Of his material ancestors, the Drakes were among the first families of the Empire State. C. A. Buck took up the study of medicine early in life, and graduated from the medical college at Geneva, N. Y. In 1831, with his parents, emigrated to Illinois, locating in Peoria County, they being among the pioneers in that part. The Indians were troublesome at that period, and Dr. Buck took an active part in subduing them. He assisted in engineering and building the fort at Peoria, under Capt. Holcomb, and was the only man that could handle a pen and do the writing. He participated in the Black Hawk war, passing through all the early troubles of the Sucker State. Dr. Buck was originally a Whig, but on the organization of the Democratic party, joined it, where he has since been, with the exception of the part he took in the Fusion party in Kansas, a few years ago. He was a personal friend of Stephen A. Douglas, introducing him to the convention of Tazewell County, when that gentleman was the aspirant for Congress. After his nomination, he canvassed the counties of Tazewell and Peoria, in his behalf. During his sojourn in Illinois he was a delegate to nineteen conventions in Peoria County. In the spring of 1857, Dr. Buck came to Kansas, locating in Jefferson County, turning his attention to farming, the practice of medicine being too severe on him. He was soon recognized by the citizens as a man of more than ordinary ability, and was called upon by the claim owners to settle a difficulty between them and the settlers, as to their rights. This meeting was held in the lower room of the court-house, the Osawkie Court being in session. As they were making considerable noise, the court sent the Sheriff down a couple of times, commanding order. Dr. Buck sent back word that his court was of as much importance as any others, and he would go on at all hazards, and did. He crossed swords with Gen. Jim Lane, in regard to the holding and conducting of elections, coming out successfully and maintaining the just rights of the people. In 1863 he was elected a member of the State Legislature. He was chairman of the committee to locate the penitentiary, and by good business management in that capacity, saved the State a large amount of money. A few years ago he canvassed Jackson and Jefferson counties for Hon. Thos. P. Fenlon and Judge McDowell, the former Democratic candidate for District Attorney, and the latter for District Judge. Of late years the doctor does not enter the political field to any extent, preferring the peace and quiet of hoe. He was married, in 1840, in Illinois, to Miss Eunice Stewart. They have six children--Albert, Charles A., Jr., Theresa O.(wife of E. Thomas Ellis), Eunice E. (wife of J. L. White), Annis (wife of W. J. Harris), and Walter. Dr. Buck is a Mason, and a member of the Grand Lodge, being its first Master in Jefferson County.
J. BUCKINGHAM, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 19, P. O. Oskaloosa, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Muskingum County, April 15, 1829. He was educated and reared in Trumbull and Delaware counties. During the Rebellion he served six months in the Eleventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Mr. Buckingham came to Kansas in 1866, locating where he now resides. He is one of the solid and progressive farmers of the county. He was married in Indiana to Miss Nancy H. Hall. By this union they have five children--Horace J., Ellen Jane, Eva May, Edmond and Charles. Himself and family are identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
W. H. BUCKMASTER, M. D., is a native of Ohio, and was born in Fredericksburg, Wayne County, December 27, 1844. Came to Kansas in 1858. His father, Dr. Henry Buckmaster, came to this State in 1857, locating in Oskaloosa being one of the first physicians in this part. During the Rebellion he was one of the Board of Examiners at Fort Leavenworth, and afterward at St. Louis, also Medical Director Department of Kansas. He was member of the Territorial Legislature, and also of the State Legislature. He figured quite prominently in the State up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1875. W. H. was reared and educated in Kansas, and took up the study of medicine under the tutorship of his father, after which he took lectures at the Rush Medical College in Chicago, graduating in 1867. For one year he was Assistant Surgeon in the regular army. The Doctor is a genial gentleman and a successful practitioner. He was married in 1868 to Miss Carrie Morrison, of Ohio. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.
HON. STEPHEN STANLEY COOPER, was born at Mount Carmel, Ill., August 20, 1826. His father, Rev. Samuel C. Cooper, was of English descent, a native of Baltimore, who removed with his family to Ohio when a mere youth, and afterwards became a Methodist Episcopal minister of distinction, and was especially a useful man as an educator, and in building up the Asbury university in Indiana. The maiden name of S. C. Cooper's mother was Caroline Thrall; her death occurred when he was very young; she was a devout Christian. The subject of this sketch was educated at Asbury University University, Indiana. Soon after leaving college he entered the army as a soldier in the Fifteenth Regiment Volunteer Infantry, in the Mexican war. He was under Gen. Scott, entered the city of Mexico, was encamped in the battles of Contreras, Cherubusco, Molino del Rey and Chepultepec. Served until the close; returned to Indiana and took up the study of medicine with Drs. Allen and Weaver, of Rockville, where he remained about four years. He afterwards attended the Rush Medical College, Chicago. He commenced the practice of medicine in Spencer, Ind., in 1854, where he practiced until 1857, when he returned to Kansas, locating in Grasshopper Falls (now Valley Falls), where he practiced four years. In 1861, removed to Oskaloosa and continued to practice until 1868, when he commenced merchandising, which he has carried on since that time; also for a number of years has been in the hotel business. In 1857 he was elected as Free-state man a member of the Kansas Legislature, and during the same year was elected a member of the Legislature under both the Topeka and Lecompton Constitutions. In the Territorial Legislature he occupied a prominent position as a Free-state man. In 1861 he was elected treasurer of Jefferson County and held the office two years. In 1866 he was elected State Senator from Jefferson County, and served in that body during 1867-68. In 1868 was elected by the Fifth Judicial District as member of the Board of Railroad Assessors, serving two years. He is a member of the Masonic Order, an for a number of years has been identified with the Presbyterian Church. Politically, he was originally a Whig, but was a member of the first Republican Convention in Indiana, in which he supported Oliver P. Morton for Governor, and made a canvass of Owen County in behalf of the Republican ticket. In Kansas he was an ardent advocate of Free-stateism, and was a member of the noted Grasshopper Falls Convention. In 1872 he voted for Horace Greeley, regarding him as the father of the Republican party. In Spencer, Ind., on the 25th of April, 1855, he was married to Miss Kate Patrick, daughter of Rev. Ebenezer Patrick, and a sister to Hon. A. G. Patrick, a prominent Kansas pioneer and public man. Mrs. Cooper is a lady of education and refinement, and a member of the Presbyterian Church. They have had three children, all of whom are dead.
TERRY CRITCHFIELD, banker, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Harrison County, February 21, 1834. Came to Illinois with his parents when comparatively young, where he was educated and reared. In April, 1855, came to Kansas, and turned his attention to buying real estate, operating principally in Jefferson, Franklin and Leavenworth counties. The troubles were then at their height, and Mr. C. being an outspoken Free-state man, had his share of them. On one occasion he was coming up the Missouri on a steamboat that was loaded with passengers, an a vote was taken to see how the crowd stood on the goose question, so to speak. It was ascertained that there was one Free-soil vote cast. Another vote was taken and the same solitary vote came to the front. It was soon ascertained that Mr. Critchfield was the man that cast the vote, and revolvers were flourished and threats made, and they made it very uncomfortable for him all the way up; so much so, in fact, he did not expect to reach the shore alive. When the steamer reached Leavenworth he discovered that quite a number of the passengers were Free-state men, or professed to be at least, and some of them had taken a small part in persecuting him. In 1859 he located permanently in Oskaloosa, the county seat of Jefferson County, attending to his real estate affairs and other business. In 1865 he embarked in merchandising, in which he is still interested. In 1871 he was elected to the Legislature by the Republican party, and re-elected in 1875 by the Democratic party. He had always been a Republican until 1872, when he voted for Horace Greeley; this was the turning point. Mr. C. has also held several county offices, to which he was re-elected in former years. Has also been Justice of the Peace and other township offices. There are but a few among the old settlers better known. In September, 1880, he engaged in the banking business. He is the originator and owner of the Jefferson County Bank at Oskaloosa, Kansas. He is a member of the Oskaloosa Lodge, No. 14, A., F. & A. M., and Chapter No. 9, of which he is high priest. He was married in November 1858, to Miss Lucinda C. Walters, of Fulton County, Ill. They have four children--M. L., Caddie, May and Kate.
JOHN DAILEY, grocer, was born in Harrisburg, Penn., October 18, 1848; was there educated, reared and learned the machinist's trade. He came to Kansas in 1868, and for several years followed railroading. His father, John B. Dailey, is master mechanic on the Middle Division of the K. P. R. R. at Ellis, Kan. He is one of the oldest hands in the employ of that company. The subject of this sketch was engineer on the Rio Grande R. R., and ran the first train into Leadville. For a time he was largely interested in stock-raising in Western Kansas. In 1874, engaged in farming near Oskaloosa, and still carries on the farm in connection with his business. Mr. D. was married in 1876 to Miss Emma Bell, of Pennsylvania. They have one daughter, Annie. He is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
GEORGE DAVIS, Sheriff, is a native of England, and was born September 11, 1845. Came to the United States when about a year old with his parents, locating in Miami County, Ohio. In 1856 he removed to Indiana. In 1858 the family came to Kansas, locating in Oskaloosa, where he has since made his home. In 1863 he enlisted in Company M., Fifth Kansas Cavalry. Was on duty on the border until discharged, October 9, 1865. In 1866 he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, which he still carries on. In the autumn of 1881 he was elected on the Republican ticket, Sheriff, the first Republican elected to that office in Jefferson County in ten years. Mr. Davis has taken a most active part in making the Jefferson County Agricultural Society a success, in placing it on a sound and safe plane, being one of the largest stockholders in the association. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the K. of P. He was married in 1858, to Miss Hilley Peppard, a native of Ohio. They have six children--O. B., Orthal, Eva, George Jr., James B. and Frederick.
HENRY DECKER, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Oskaloosa. This well-known early settler is deserving of special mention among those who helped develop the farming interests of Jefferson County. He is a native of Germany, and was born in Prussia, September 24, 1832, where he resided until 1853, when he came to the United States, and located in Ohio, eventually taking up his abode in Cass County, Ill., there residing until 1858, when he came to Kansas, opening up a farm in Osawkie Township, Jefferson County, being one among the first. He had many drawbacks during those early days, which were only overcome by untiring industry and hardships. In 1863, with his family, returned to Illinois, remaining until 1865. He was married March 10, 1857, to Miss Maria Tiemeyer. By this union they have seven children--Henry A., John A., Charles E., William G., Mary A., Carrie H. and Eleanor E.
DETER BROTHERS, dealers in hardware and agricultural implements. This house was established in Oskaloosa in 1879, by Mr. Daniel Deter, the senior member of the firm. In November, 1881, the copartnership of Deter Brothers was formed, Mr. David Deter becoming one of the firm. They carry a large stock and do an extensive business. Daniel Deter was born in Platt County, Ill., January 23, 1853. Was there educated and reared, and was for a few years in business in Ohio. In 1878 he came to Kansas. In 1877 he was married to Miss Ella Morrison, of Ohio. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge and the I. O. O. F. David Deter, the junior member of the firm, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Platt County, August 13, 1856. Was educated, reared and resided in his native State until he came to Kansas in the autumn of 1881. He was married in 1876 to Miss Phoebe Garger, of Illinois. By this union they have one son-- William E.
GEORGE DETER, merchant, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Platt County, September 29, 1847. Was there educated and reared; he followed various pursuits in after life, residing there until 1879, when he came to Kansas, locating at Oskaloosa. For a time was engaged in the livery business, eventually engaging in merchandising. He is a genial gentleman, and has his share of the trade. He was married in Illinois, in 1869, to Miss Mary Morain. They have four children--Minnie A., Clara J., Emily and Cora. Mr. Deter is a member of the A. O. of U. W.
W. C. FOWLER, Recorder of Deeds, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Knox County, February 28, 1838. When young he moved with his parents to Schuyler County, Ill., where the family resided until 1856, when they came to Kansas, locating in Leavenworth County. In 1857 removed to Jefferson County, taking up their abode near Round Grove, in Union Township, his father, Mr. Isaac H. Fowler, being among the first farm openers in that part. He was the first Justice of the Peace in that part, which office he held for several years. In 1863, W. C. enlisted in Company C. Fifteenth Kansas, doing duty in Missouri and the Indian Territory until the close of the war. In 1879 he was elected to his thoroughly competent official and popular citizen. He was married in 1867 to Miss M. S. Daniels. They have had eight children--Margaret J., Isaac, Mary F. Hulda, John W., Lydia, and lost two, Benjamin M. and Allen.
MARSHALL GEPHART, attorney, is a native of Maryland, and was born in Cumberland City, April 22, 1850; came to Kansas in 1857 with his parents, locating in Valley Falls, his father, S. C. Gephart, Esq., being one of the pioneers of that place. Marshall received his early education in Valley Falls after which he attended school at Topeka, Atchison, and Gettysburg, Pa. He took up the study of law and graduated from the Albany, N. Y., Law School. Was admitted to the Jefferson County bar in 1870. He was married to 1876 to Miss Louisa Thomas. They have two children--Alice B. and George F. Mr. Gephart is a member of the Masonic Order.
W. F. GILLULY, attorney, was born in Clinton, Mich., October 19, 1946; was there educated and reared. In September, 1863, he enlisted in Company G. Eleventh Michigan Cavalry. He went in as a private; was promoted to Second Lieutenant in 1864; and in '65 to First Lieutenant, serving until the close. His base of operations was in the Western Department, and he participated in a number of the general engagements. His uncle, John Gilluly, a prominent attorney, commanded the Fifth Michigan Infantry. He was killed at the Fredericksburg engagement. After the war he returned to Michigan, and in 1868 came to Kansas, teaching school in Jefferson County for a few years. In 1871 he was elected Clerk of Jefferson County, and while discharging the duties of that office, spent his leisure time in studying law. The autumn of 1874 he was admitted to the bar. In 1876 he was elected County Attorney. Few persons in the county have been more prominently identified, politically, than Mr. Gilluly, considering the length of time he has been a resident. He has also been Justice of the Peace, and held minor offices. He is a member of the Masonic Order and the I. O. O. F. He was married December 27, 1869 to Miss Ella L. Burns, of Illinois. They have two children by this union--Ross B. and Gertie.
FREDERICK GRAMSE, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Oskaloosa, was born in Prussia, December 20, 1828, and is of Prussian-Polish nationality. He was raised in his native country, receiving the benefits of a good education. He served three years in the Prussian army, and came to the United States in 1853, locating in Troy, N. Y. In 1858 he came to Booneville, Mo., residing there until 1861, when he came to Kansas and turned his attention to his trade--that of blacksmithing--in Oskaloosa, which he followed until 1869, and since then has been engaged in farming. Previous to coming to Missouri for a time he was a resident of Chicago, Ill., where he was married to Amelia David. They have ten children--Bertha, Amelia, Rudolph, Henry, Annie, Adolph, Arthur, Charles, Julius, and Albert.
G. W. GRAYSON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 8, P. O. Oskaloosa, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Greenup County, October 20, 1803; was there reared and educated. In 1837 he came to Missouri, locating in Platte County, being one of the pioneers of the Platte purchase. In the spring of 1855 he came to Kansas, locating in Jefferson County. Since that time he has been prominently identified with the farming interests. During the troubles of 1856 he did not take nay part in the question at issue; although from a slave State, he was opposed to human slavery. His son, John Quincy Grayson, was killed during the early troubles, an account of which is given in another portion of the work. Mr. G. has been twice married--first to Miss Sarah Allerton. By this union there are eight children living--Mary, George W., Sarah J., Nathan, Nancy, Raphael, William H., and John. His present wife's maiden name was Mary Roe. At the time of her marriage she was a widow, Mr. Granser, her husband, having been killed at the battle of Vicksburg. Mr. Grayson, by the latter marriage, has five children.
J. A. HART, jeweler, is a native of Connecticut, and was born in Southington, Hartford County, February 23, 1841. At the age of twelve he came to Indiana with relatives, an two years afterward located in Kewanee, Ill., where he was educated and learned the jeweler's trade. In 1862 he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving three years, when he was honorably discharged and returned to Illinois. In 1865 he engaged in the jewelry business with J. W. Eddy, in Kewanee, Ill., and in 1867 commenced business for himself at Altoona, Ill., and in 1873 at Cambridge, from which point he came to Oskaloosa in the spring of 1881. He was married in Illinois in September, 1867, to Miss Mary E. Patrick, a native of Kentucky. They have one daughter--Katie E. Mr. Hart is a member of the A. O. U. W.
ALEX HENDERSON, stock-raiser and dealer, Section 8, P. O. Winchester, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1829; was reared, educated and resided in his native State until 40 years of age. He came to Kansas in 1864 from Missouri, where he had been a resident a few years. Mr. Henderson is one of the most extensive stock men and real estate owners in the county. He has been Justice of the Peace and otherwise officially identified during his sojourn. He was married in Ohio, to Miss Elizabeth Ekey. They have had three children-- James, Margaret J., and Henrietta. James, the oldest, was murdered in the Indian Territory in 1879. His home was at Medicine Lodge, Kas., where he was engaged in the stock business, and was killed in company with a man named Stockwell and another party. They were slain for their money by outlaws.
CHRISTIAN HOFMANN, lumber dealer, one of the representative business men of Jefferson County is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Germany, and was born in Wurtemburg. Came to the United States in 1852, locating in Illinois; from 1855 to 1859 resided in Chicago; from 1859 to 1852, resided in St. Louis and other parts of Missouri. Mr. H. is a painter by trade, which he pursued during the time mentioned, and a few years later pursued that vocation in Omaha, Neb. During the war served in the Fifth Missouri in the Reserve Corps. In 1869 located permanently in Oskaloosa; he had purchased real estate in the county, and had been in the State, however, several years previous. Up to 1877 he was engaged in various pursuits. In that year he embarked in the lumber business. Mr. Hofmann has been considerable identified with the commercial interests of Oskaloosa. He was married in Kansas to Miss Ellenora Puderbaugh, a native of Indiana. By this union they have three children, John, George and Henry.
N. B. HOPEWELL, farmer and stock-raiser Section 34, P. O. Oskaloosa; among those who figured early and prominently in the pioneer days of Jefferson County; is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Russellville, Logan County, April 25, 1821. His father, Samuel K., was a blacksmith by trade, and emigrated to Missouri with his family in 1832, locating at Liberty, where the subject of this sketch was educated and reared. After receiving the benefits of the schools in Liberty at that day, he took up the study of law in the office of W. T. Wood. In the autumn of 1854, Mr. Hopewell came to Kansas, locating where he now resides. His intention was to devote his entire attention to farming, but soon after arriving was induced o engage in the law profession at Osawkie in company with O. B. Tibbs, which continued for a short time. Mr. Hopewell was the first magistrate in Jefferson County, receiving his appointment from Gov. A. H. Reeder, August 27, 1855. He solemnized the first marriage and the first civil an criminal cases were heard before him. He has been county Commissioner, and otherwise identified with its interests. Politically, he has been and is a Democrat. Mr. H. was married to Miss Jane C. Johnson in Missouri. They have eight children, James T., William H., Oscar K., Mary I., Nancy J., George J., David E., and Walter A.
G. A. HURON, Judge of the Probate Court, was born in Hendricks County, Ind., March 29, 1838. He was reared a farmer, and was educated in the common schools of his native county. Commenced teaching when eighteen years of age, and was a successful teacher in the public schools until the commencement of the late war when he enlisted as a Sergeant in Company I, Seventh Regiment, Indiana Volunteers. Was promoted to Quartermaster-Sergeant of the regiment, and the last eight months of the war, was the Indiana State Sanitary Agent for the Army of the Potomac, with headquarters at City Point, Va. After the close of the war he was appointed a clerk in the Third Auditor's office of the Treasury Department, Washington, D. C. While in that office he improved his leisure time in studying law, and entering the law department of the Columbian University, he graduated in July, 1868, and was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the District of Columbia. In the same year he came to Kansas, and located in Valley Falls, where he engaged in the practice of law until 1873, when for four years he was editor and publisher of the Valley Falls New Era. Resuming the practice of law, he was in 1879 elected Judge of the Probate Court, and re-elected in 1881. Politically, Judge Huron is a life-long Republican, and he has always taken an active part in advocating the measures of that party. He was married July 31, 1861, to Miss Mary F. Freeman, of Hendricks County Ind. They have five children, Horace, aged twenty; Mary, aged twelve; Aaron, aged nine; Bennett A., aged five, and George B., aged three years. Religiously, Judge Huron is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, since February 14, 1856. He is active in church work, and has been for twelve years of his life a Sabbath-school superintendent, for eight years a class leader, and for fourteen years a steward. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. , and the A. O. U. W., has passed the chairs in both orders and is now a member of the Grand Lodge of each.