|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Up to 1857 Peoria Township belonged to the Peorias, Weas and Piankeshaws. In April of that year the land was thrown upon the market. Previous to that time, a few persons had entered the Township in anticipation of that event, among them Alexander Rice, Dr. Cusick, Wm. Adkins, Madison Osborne, S. R. Smiley and J. McLain. Upon being offered, the land was nearly all immediately bought up at prices ranging from $1.25 to $2.50 per acre. During the year 1857, Albert Johnson settled and opened a store, and around his store gathered the nucleus of the future town of Peoria. It is beautifully situated on a promontory projecting between the valleys of Hickory Creek and that of the Marais des Cygnes. Albert Johnson was appointed first Postmaster, and also first Assessor, the latter appointment being made by the County Board. In the year 1859, a strife sprang up for the possession of the County seat. It was then at Minneola; Peoria and Mt. Vernon contended for it against Minneola and Ohio City, at the general election. Peoria was successful. Minneola forbade the removal, and a law suit followed in which Minneola was successful as elsewhere detailed.
The first election in Peoria was held in the fall of 1857, at which there was cast but one Democratic vote. During this year a Mr. Fisher, instigated by interested parties, jumped the claim of a Mr. Wright. As the quickest way of settling the difficulty Wright shot Fisher, killing him instantly. The instigators of the jumping laid the case before the Secretary of the Territory. The Secretary replied that Franklin County had a Sheriff recently appointed, and suggested that it was the Sheriff's duty to attend to cases of that kind. By an examination of the records it was found the Wright was himself Sheriff of the County. It was then concluded politic to drop the whole affair.
The first Free-state meeting in the County was held at Peoria, at which P. P. Elder was nominated for Prosecuting Attorney, and Judge Curtis for Delegate to the Territorial Convention whose duty it was to nominate a Delegate to Congress.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - OHIO TOWNSHIP.
HON. WILLIAM BATEMAN, of Bateman & Johnson, merchants, came to Kansas in March, 1857, and located at Peoria, Franklin County, and has since been engaged in raising stock and farming. In 1860 he engaged in mercantile business, and about a year later admitted his present partner, A. Johnson. They carry a stock of about $2,500, and are largely interested in farming and dealing in live stock. They own as a firm 1,200 acres of land in this county, 815 of which are under cultivation. Mr. B. was Postmaster at this place from 1862 to 1872, and was elected to the State Legislature in the latter year. He was married at Peoria, in the spring of 1865, to Margaret Hunt. They have five children.
CHARLES BOSWORTH, farmer, P. O. Wellsville, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, in 1824, where he followed agricultural pursuits and was also for some years engaged in the lumber business in Portage and Trumbull counties. He came to Franklin County in July, 1869, and located on his present farm, on Section 22, Township 16, Range 21, He is a large land owner, and one of the most extensive farmers in this County. He owns in Franklin County 1,650 acres, and in Miami County 880 acres, and cultivates in all 1,500 acres, besides which he feeds and fattens large numbers of cattle and hogs for the Eastern markets. On his residence farm is a beautiful home and a good orchard of five acres, besides barn, etc. Has also on his land six houses, etc. for the use of his tenants. Mr. Bosworth is assisted in conducting his farming interests by his son Granville.
DAVID BURTON, farmer, P. O. Peoria, was born in Virginia, September 12, 1812, removing a year later with his parents to Lawrence County, Ind., where he learned the trade of wagon-maker. At the age of twenty-seven he moved to St. Clair County, Mo., and engaged in farming. About 1850 he went to Lafayette County, and about four years conducted a wagon shop. He came to Kansas in September, 1854, located in Douglas County, and was employed at general farm work, and participated in the troubles of 1856, taking an active part with the Free-state advocates. In March, 1857, he located on his present farm in Peoria. He has 290 acres of land, and is also engaged to some extent in breeding and raising hogs. Was also from 1858 to 1860 engaged in mercantile business at this place. Mr. Burton has been Treasurer of the township for the past six years. He was married in Lawrence County, Ind., in 1833, to Mary A. Fentress, who died in 1847, leaving seven children. He was married again in St. Clair County, Mo., in September, 1858, to Martha P. Green. Mr. Burton lost a son, Charles E. in the Union cause during the war.
HAROLD HOWARD, farmer, P. O. Peoria, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., February 22, 1830. Six years later his parents emigrated to Kalamazoo County, Mich., and the subject of this sketch followed farming pursuits in that county up to July, 1855, when he came to Kansas, residing in Leavenworth County; pursued farming for about six years. He took an active part in the troubles of 1856, as a supporter of the Free-state cause. About 1861, he moved to Miami County, where he continued to conduct a farm until the fall of 1865, when he came to Franklin County, locating on his present farm in Peoria. He owns between eight and nine hundred acres, 700 of which are in cultivation. Mr. H. is one of the most extensive grain growers in this county. Shortly after his arrival here he built a saw-mill, and conducted it for about fourteen years, in connection with his farming pursuits. During the war he served in the State Militia. Mr. H. was married in Kalamazoo, Mich., in March, 1864, to Isabel Burney. They have four children--Carrie, Clarence, Emma and Nellie.
HARMON IMES, merchant, was born in Lawrence County, Ohio, August 26, 1834. His parents removed to Stark County, Ill., thirteen years later, and he was reared there on a farm, and for ten years carried on a farm for himself. In November, 1865, he came to Franklin County, and located on a farm, since which time he has been engaged in farming and raising stock. In the summer of 1880 the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company built a station on his farm, which is now called Larimore Station, and Mr. Imes was appointed agent, a position which he still occupies. In November, 1880, he embarked in the mercantile business, and has now quite a nice trade throughout the surrounding country. He carries a stock of about $2,000. He was appointed Postmaster of this place in August, 1881. Mr. Imes owns in this County 260 acres of farming land, and the entire town site of Larimore. He was married in Stark County, Ill., February 24, 1861, to Lydia Shade. They have a family of seven children, five of whom were born in this State.
ALFRED JOHNSON, of Bateman & Johnson, merchants, was born in Randolph County, Ind., August 16, 1833. He learned trade of plasterer, and followed that occupation in connection with farming pursuits for a livelihood. In April, 1856, he came to Kansas, locating in Douglas County, and took an active hand in the troubles of 1856, supporting the Free-state party. In March 1857, he came to Franklin County, and was one of the organizers of the town site of Peoria, where he has since resided. He was the first to engage in mercantile business at this place, carrying a stock of general merchandise up to 1859. In 1861 he became associated with his present partner, William Bateman. In June, 1862, Mr. J. was appointed a recruiting officer, and recruited Company D, of the Twelfth Kansas Infantry of which he was elected Second Lieutenant. Was promoted to First Lieutenant in the fall of 1863, and to Captain early in 1865. Was mustered out in July, 1865. The firm own 1,200 acres of land, and are largely engaged in farming and cattle raising. Mr. Johnson was appointed Postmaster at this place in 1857; held it two years. Was re-appointed in 1872, and is the present incumbent. He was married in Peoria, November 27, 1879, to Florence M. Carey. They have two children--Lela and one infant daughter.
DAVID JOHNSON, farmer and dealer in hogs, P. O. Peoria, was born in West Virginia, September 22, 1819, and seven years later his parents moved to Randolph County, Ind. At twenty-one years of age he learned trade of plasterer, and in connection with farming pursuits, followed that occupation for a livelihood in that County up to September, 1860, when he came to Franklin County, locating in the town of Peoria. He farmed and carried on a hotel business for about twenty-one years. In 1881 he moved to his present farm in Peoria Township. Mr. Johnson has 326 acres of land in the County, is an enterprising farmer, and is also engaged in raising and dealing in hogs, making a specialty of producing the Berkshire breed. During the war he served in the Kansas State Militia. The subject of our sketch was married in Randolph County, Ind., March 12, 1853, to Jane B. Thompson. They have two children--Catherine, now Mrs. George S. Fisher, and John T.
JOHN F. LAMB, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Wellsville, was born in Lycoming County, Pa., July 17, 1833, and moved with his parents the same year to LaSalle County, Ill., where he was reared on a farm, and was for three years engaged in grain business, at Ottawa, Ill., in firm of Lamb & Shuler, in connection with agricultural pursuits. He came to Franklin County, October 3, 1871, and located on his present farm in Peoria Township. Mr. Lamb owns 720 acres of land, 300 of which are under cultivation, and he is an extensive raiser of live stock. He was elected a Commissioner of Franklin County in 1877, served two years, and was re-elected in 1880 for a three year's term.
EDMUND LISTER, farmer and stock breeder, P. O. Peoria, was born in Lincolnshire, England, February 18, 1831, and reared on a farm. In 1851 he emigrated to Will County, Ill., where he farmed for three years. In 1854, he crossed the Plains to California, remaining on the Pacific Slope for four years, engaged principally in mining. He came to Franklin County in September, 1859, and purchased 160 acres in Peoria Township, on which he has since resided. Mr. Lister is an enterprising farmer, now owns in this county 640 acres of improved land, 200 of which he devotes to stock raising purposes. He is engaged in raising cattle of the graded Durham class, draught horses, and Cottswold sheep.
Rev. J. N. Smith brought into the southern part of the county, in 1857, a small body of United Presbyterians, whom he gathered into a church under the name of "Berean." Their first house of worship was erected in 1858, of native lumber. This gave place in 1870 to a larger and better frame building which cost $1,400. The town was laid out in 1858, but had no growth as a town. A postoffice was established there in 1863. The Associate Presbyterians built a church in 1867. These two churches, a store built by the town company, a schoolhouse, built in 1861, and a half dozen houses well scattered, constituted the town. When in 1870 the postoffice was removed to Richmond, a new railroad town, three miles west, this ended the town, but the settlement has been from the first one of the most thrifty, straightforward imaginable, with a vote from sixty to eighty always cast on the side of temperance, education and every good cause.
The first minister was Rev. J. N. Smith. The first child born, his son, Garrett Smith. William Aikin taught the first school in the winter of 1857-58. The first town officers were Rev. J. N. Smith, Alexander Garrett and M. L. Carson. Each church has now a membership of seventy.
Richmond was named after J. C. Richmond, who laid out the town in 1870, on the completion of the L. L. & S. Railroad to that point. It is the center of considerable trade, although the village is very small. There are two churches, a Presbyterian, organized in 1871 by Rev. Mr. Lyman, with a present membership of fifty, and a Methodist Episcopal Church, organized in 1877, by Rev. Mr. Feables, with a membership of twenty-five. There are also a good school-house, one large dry goods and grocery store, a church, depot building and boarding house, hotel, three or four small shops, etc., etc.
Norwood is a small settlement in the northern part of Franklin County, on the Kansas City, Lawrence & Southern Railroad, situated on level prairie. It was named after Henry Ward Beecher's novel of the name. The postoffice was established in 1873, D. W. Moore appointed first Postmaster. Balch & Hedrich opened a store in 1878. Norwood contains one store, the postoffice and about forty inhabitants.
Rantoul is also a small station on the same road about seven miles further to the southeast. One mile west of this town old John Brown built the cabin for Orson Day, and a few miles south is where, in February, 1855, John Brown, Jr., Jason Brown, Owen Brown, Frederick Brown and Salmon Brown selected claims and erected cabins.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - RICHMOND TOWNSHIP.
GEORGE C. AIKEN, breeder of Short-horn cattle, P. O. Richmond, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, July 21, 1846, and was reared on a farm. In the spring of 1870 he removed to Clay County, Ill., and followed agricultural pursuits for two years, after which he conducted a bakery, restaurant, etc. He came to Franklin County, Kan., in August, 1876, and located in Richmond Township. He owns 240 acres of land, and since April 1, 1880, has been engaged in the breeding of thoroughbred Short-horn cattle. Among his herd are the famous cows Lady Cundiff, Lady Altaham and Belle of Richmond, and the noted bull, Richmond Favorite. He is also engaged in breeding Cotswold sheep, Poland-China hogs and Partridge Cochin fowls. Mr. Aiken has a nice farm, well cultivated, on which there is a good orchard. He was Justice of the Peace at this place for several years.
LORENZO H. BROWN, farmer and dealer in live stock, P. O. Richmond, was born in Allegheny County, N. Y., and reared in Calhoun County, Mich., where he followed agricultural pursuits. In September, 1868, he came to Franklin County, located in Richmond Township, and has since been engaged in dealing in live stock, and since June, 1882, in company with James McCracken. He also taught school for some years. In 1878 he moved on to his present farm, in Section 13, Township 19, Range 19. He owns some 250 acres of land, all improved, and is an extensive raiser of sheep; has a flock of 700 head.
GIDEON BURGESS, farmer, P. O. Richmond, was born at Litchfield, Conn., in 1812, where he was reared on a farm. In 1832 he removed to Allen County, Ind., where he followed agricultural pursuits and was largely engaged in raising stock. Mr. Burgess was one of the largest farmers in that county, owning over 1,000 acres of land. He made a trip to Kansas in 1871, and purchased considerable land in Harvey County but only remained a year. In June, 1880, he came to Franklin County and located on his present farm, in Section 17 and 18, Township 19, Range 19. He is the owner of 1,000 acres of land in this county and 160 in Anderson County, and is a very large raiser and dealer in livestock.
MARTIN L. CARSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born in York County, S. C., March 16, 1820, and at eighteen years of age removed to Monroe County, Ind., where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1850 he moved to Monroe County, Iowa, where he farmed until the spring of 1855, when he came to Franklin County, Kan. He remained only a few months, and in September, 1857 he returned and pre-empted his present farm, on which he has since resided. He owns ninety-three acres, all well improved but sixteen acres, which is in timber. He has a fine orchard, and also raises considerable stock. From 1859 to 1862 he also conducted a saw and grist mill in this neighborhood, and during the war served in the State Militia. He was for some six years Justice of the Peace. Mr. Carson married in Monroe County, Ind., September 30, 1840, to Mary E. Wylie. They have a family of five children--Samuel F., John D., Emily A., James N. and Jonathan M.
SAMUEL F. CARSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born in Monroe County, Ind., January 6, 1845, and came to Franklin County, Kan., with his father in September, 1857, and assisted him in farming in this township. At the outbreak of the war he was for six months in the employ of the United State Government as a teamster, and on March 6, 1862, enlisted in Company A, Third Kansas Infantry, and two months later was mustered into Company C, Tenth Kansas Infantry, serving until March 5, 1865, after which he once more gave his attention to agricultural pursuits. He moved on to his present farm in November, 1870. He has forty-six acres in a high state of cultivation, a fine orchard of about 200 trees, all varieties of fruit, and makes a specialty of breeding Poland-China hogs. He also owns twenty-seven acres of timber land. Mr. Carson was married in Franklin County, November 28, 1867, to Margaret Garrett. They have a family of four children--Celia D., Fannie M., Alice J. and Harry M.
ANDREW G. CUNNINGHAM, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born in Putnam County, Ind., September 25, 1845, and in April, 1859, came to Franklin County, Kan., with his father, John A. Cunningham, whom he assisted in farming in this township for several years. Was for several years in the employ of the United States Government during the war as a teamster, and also served some time in the Kansas State Militia. In the spring on 1870 he moved on to his present farm on Section 14, Township 19, Range 20. He owns ninety acres, all improved, and is principally engaged in grain farming. He has a nice orchard, consisting of two acres of trees of various fruits. Mr. Cunningham was married in Ottawa, October 18, 1870, to Matilda Wynkoop. They have five children--Susan, David, Enoch, Boyd, and Theresa.
JOHN W. CUNNINGHAM, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born in Putname County, Ind., October 18, 1837, and reared on a farm. He came to Franklin County, Kan., in the spring of 1859, and farmed with his father for some years. He enlisted July 24, 1861, and was mustered into Company C, Tenth Kansas Infantry in January, 1862, serving until August, 1864, after which he farmed for some years. In 1877 he moved to Ottawa and conducted an express and transfer business. In the spring of 1881 he returned to Richmond Township and located on his present farm. He has 160 acres all improved on which there is an orchard of 500 trees. Mr. C. was married in Franklin County, Kan., in November, 1864, to Frances Spencer, a native of Indiana. They have a family of three children--Charles J., Elmer and Stella.
JOHN A. DAVIDSON, breeder of pedigreed Poland-China hogs, P. O. Richmond, was born in Franklin County, Pa., in August, 1853, and when young accompanied his parents to Washington County, Iowa. In 1869 he came with them to Franklin County, Kan., and assisted his father in farming until 1875, when he began to farm on his own account, and in the spring of 1879 moved on to his present farm. He owns eighty acres, all well improved. Mr. D. is making a specialty of breeding fine hogs, of which he has eighty-five head. Among his herd are the famous Zouave, No. 1187, A. P. C. R., Jet Rover, Dick Raven, A. P. C. R., and Ohio, No. 2779, O. P. C. R., all of the purest blood of Poland-China breed, also Beauty and Lady Cook. His stock was awarded five premiums at the Ottawa and five at the Garnett Fair in 1881, and six at the Ottawa Fair in 1882. Mr. Davidson is know throughout the State as one of the most enterprising and successful farmers and breeders. He was married in Franklin County, Kan., in 1877, to Alice E. Carson, daughter of M. L. Carson. They have one son--Charles.
JOSEPH DAVIDSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born in Venango County, Pa., and was reared on a farm, following agricultural pursuits there until 1856, when he moved to Washington County, Iowa, where he carried on a farm of 160 acres. He came to Franklin County, Kan., November 10, 1869, and located on his present farm. Mr. D. had some 500 acres, but has given considerable land to each of his sons. He now has 240 acres, 140 acres of which are under cultivation; and he also raises considerable live stock. On his place is a fine orchard of about 700 trees, and he is building a new residence which will cost $1,500 to $2,000. He was married in Mercer County, Pa., to Elizabeth Montgomery, February 28, 1852. They have a family of eight children, five boys and three girls.
JNO. ENDSLEY, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born in Lincoln County, N. C., January 17, 1830, and six years later emigrated with his parents to East Tennessee, where he was reared on the Big Spring farm in Blount County. In October, 1854, he removed to White County, Ill., farmed for a year, and then went to Washington County, Iowa, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. He came to Franklin County, Kan, May 1, 1858, and pre-empted his present farm. He has 160 acres all highly improved, with orchards, barns, and a fine residence. He is principally engaged in raising and fattening hogs and cattle. He also owns another farm of 160 acres three miles northwest from his home farm, and sixteen acres of timbered land in Anderson County, for the use of the home farm. Mr. Endsley served in the Kansas State Militia during the late war, and was at the battle at Westport, Mo. He was at Gardner, Johnston Co., Kan., on the night it was sacked by guerrillas from Missouri, and had to succumb when their clicking locks and glittering carbines were brought to bear upon him. Mr. Endsley was Justice of the Peace for four years from March, 1867, to March, 1871. In 1873 and 1874, he was Trustee of the township. He has since 1876, taken meteorological observations daily in the locality. He was married in East Tennessee, March 4, 1852, to Hetta Allen. They have has a family of four children--James A., Isaac A., John K., who died in 1878, at the age of twenty-one years, and Nelson, 8.
G. W. HARSHBERGER, merchant, Richmond, is a native of Bedford County, Penn. His parents emigrated to Lanark, Carroll Co., Ill., when he was very young, and here he was for five years employed as a clerk in mercantile business. He came to Franklin County, Kan., in March, 1871, located at Richmond, and at once established himself in general merchandise business, with a stock of about $1,200. His trade has increased yearly until he is now compelled to carry a stock of about $6,000, to supply the demands of his business; he was also agent for the K. C. L. & S. K. R. R. Co. until March 15, 1881. He was appointed Postmaster at this place in the fall of 1871. In 1875, he was elected Treasurer of the township, and has been re-elected yearly since.
JAMES L. HENDERSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1835, and fourteen years later removed with parents to Mercer County, Ill., and was reared on a farm. In 1868, he went to Albia, Iowa, and engaged in mercantile business for two years. He came to Franklin County, Kan., in the spring of 1871, and located on his present farm. He owns 160 acres, 150 of which are under cultivation. He is quite an extensive breeder of Berkshire hogs and fattens considerable cattle for the Eastern markets. On his place is a fine orchard, consisting of 300 trees of various kinds of fruit.
ELIJAH PERKINS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born in Bath County, Ky., November 13, 1833, and at eighteen years of age removed to Park County, Ind., where he followed agricultural pursuits. He came to Franklin County, in November, 1867, farmed in Harrison Township twelve years, in Pottawatomie a year, after which he moved on to his present farm in Richmond Township. He owns 160 acres, all well improved; has an orchard of eight acres, and is engaged in raising and fattening cattle for the Eastern markets. Mr. Perkins was married in Parke County, Ind., February 14, 1854, to Sarah E. Magill. They have a family of nine children living, and two dead.
FRANCIS M. SHEPHERD, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born in Jacksonville, Ill., February 20, 1833, and reared on a farm, also worked as a carpenter. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Twentysecond Illinois Infantry, and served three years. He came to Franklin County, Kan., in October, 1868, and farmed for some four years near Ottawa. In the spring of 1872, he moved on to his present farm in Richmond Township. He owns 136 acres, all well improved, and raises considerable live stock, making a specialty of breeding thoroughbred Short-horn cattle. Mr. S. is considered one of the enterprising farmers of this township. He was married in Carlinville, Ill., in the spring of 1868, to Kate Cobb.
WILLIAM E. SPEARS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born at Petersburg, Menard Co., Ill., in 1842, and reared on a farm. In the fall of 1862 he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Fourteenth Illinois Infantry. At the retreat from the battle of Guntown. Miss., in July, 1864, he was taken prisoner and imprisoned for three months in Andersonville, and two weeks in Mobile prisons. He was mustered out of the service August 20, 1865, after which he conducted a stock farm in Menard County. In March, 1869, he came to Franklin County, Kas., and located at Ottawa, and was for two and a half years engaged in the livery business. In 1873 he purchased and located on his present farm in Richmond Township. He owns 440 acres, fifty acres of it in timber, 175 under cultivation, and five to six acres in an orchard, and the balance in pasture, etc. He is a large raiser of live stock. Mr. Spears was for several years Justice of the Peace, Trustee of the Township for two years, and Clerk of the same one year. He was married in Montgomery County, Ill., in 1877, to Susie M. Hostetter. They have two children, Edwin and Arthur.