|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
FRANK BOWKER, farmer, P. O. Ottawa, was born in England in 1832, and two years later emigrated with his parents to Jersey County, Ill., where he was reared on a farm and after reaching the age of maturity followed farming as an occupation. In the spring of 1865 he came to Kansas, and located on his present farm, consisting of 148 acres in Cutler Township. Mr. Bowker is quite extensively engaged in raising cattle and hogs.
GEORGE W. CARTZDAFNER, farmer, P. O. Rantoul, Franklin County, Kas.,sic was born in Catoctin Valley, Frederick Co., Md., January 25, 1828, and was reared on a farm. At the age of twenty-one he immigrated to Franklin County, O., and for nearly two years conducted a stationary engine, after which he gave his attention to farming pursuits. In the fall of 1866 he came to Franklin County, Kas., and located in Harrison Township, where he improved a farm and resided on it for nine years. Was Township Clerk the two first terms and afterward Treasurer for one term. In 1876 he removed to his present farm in Cutler Township, and has resided here since. He has about 160 acres, all well improved, and on his place is a fine orchard and vineyard. He is quite extensively engaged in raising live stock. Mr. Cartzdafner was nominated on the Greenback ticket in the fall of 1882 for County Commissioner. He was married in Delaware County, O., October 5, 1854, to Martha Guy. They have a family of five children, John M., Amasa B., Charles M, Frank D., and Florence M.
QUINCY D. COLE, farmer, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Montpelier, V., in June, 1822, and was reared on a farm. Some years later he removed to Jefferson County, Wis., and engaged in the manufacture of furniture. In 1849 he crossed the plains to California and remained there about two and one-half years engaged in various enterprises, after which he returned to Wisconsin and engaged in the manufacture of furniture until 1859, when he went back to Vermont and followed farming pursuits for some years and then resided in Chicago for a short time. In October, 1867, he came to Franklin County and was for a year engaged in dealing in live stock at Ottawa. In 1868 he moved to his present farm. Mr. Cole has 320 acres of land, all improved, and is extensively engaged in raising cattle for the Eastern markets. He was married in Jefferson County, Wis., in July, 1851, to Caroline Waldo. They have a four children--Arthur A., Willie D., Frank I., and Luna A.
DANIEL C. CUTLER, farmer, P. O. Rantoul, was born on the Muskingum River, Ohio, February 20, 1799. Seven years later his parents moved to Hamilton, Essex Co., Mass. About 1816 he returned to Ohio and engaged in farming pursuits. In 1855 he sold his place and went to Adair County, Iowa. Farmed for two years, and in April, 1857, came to Franklin County, Kas., locating on his present farm. Has resided here since. The Township of Cutler is named after his wife. Mr. Cutler owns 1,000 acres of land in this county and is one of our largest farmers. His business is managed entirely by his son. On his place is a fine orchard, he being one of the most extensive fruit growers of the county. He was about the first Postmaster appointed in this part of the country, and was placed in charge of the Rantoul postoffice in 1859, and held it for several years. He was also a County Commissioner during 1859 and 1860. Mr. Cutler was married November 5, 1834, to Betty Larkin, who was born in Meigs County, Ohio, August 8, 1806. They have one son, Charles C., who was born August 23, 1835. The Cutlers are widely known throughout the country for their hospitality and they give a hearty welcome to the stranger.
E. D. HAWLEY, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Rantoul, was born in Schuyler County, N.Y., October 26, 1839, and reared on a farm; afterwards followed mercantile business there for four years. In the fall of 1867 he came to Kansas, and located on his present farm in Cutler Township. He has 160 acres of land, on which he has erected a fine stone house and has a fine fruit orchard of about four acres. He is also engaged in raising cattle and hogs. In 1876 Mr. Hawley was appointed agent for Messrs. Reyburn, Hunter & Co., of Philadelphia, manufacturers and dealers in lightning rods, which firm he still represents. He was married in Yates County, N.Y., to Mary Roberts, who died, leaving no offspring. He was married there again about 1872, to Nettie Bartholomew, and they have a family of three children--Mary I., Cora A. and Charles R.
S. A. HESTER, farmer, P. O. Rantoul, was born in Fleming County, Ky., February 4, 1834. His parents removed when he was young to Jones County, Iowa, and he was reared there on a farm. He came to Franklin County March 22, 1857, and located in this Township and farmed for four years, then went to Douglas County, returning eleven months later he located on his present farm. Mr. Hester enlisted in June, 1862, in Company C, Second Kansas Cavalry, serving five months, then enlisted in the Tenth Kansas State Militia, in Kansas Cavalry, serving until the war closed. After the war he was also, in connection with his farming pursuits, engaged in conducting a sawmill for several years. He has 195 acres in the county, and is quite extensively engaged in raising thorough-bred Short-horn and graded cattle and Poland-China hogs. In February, 1879, Mr. Hester went to Custer County, Col., and became interested in mining. He is now quite extensively engaged in gold and silver quartz mines in that region, and makes frequent trips there in behalf of those interests. Mr. Hester was married in Cutler Township, in 1858, to Mary E. Perkins. She died in 1869, leaving three children--Mary E., Zoa and Juda. He was married again here, in 1879 to Olive E. Bartram, and they have five children--Cora, Milo C., Harry, Zetta G. and Scott A. The subject of our sketch was Treasurer of Peoria Township for five years, and Trustee of Cutler Township for five years. In 1880 he received the nomination for Sheriff of the county, on the Greenback ticket, and lost the election by a very small majority.
SIMEON H. MERRILL, M. D., Rantoul, is a native of Dover, Maine. He studied medicine and graduated at Pittsfield College, Mass., in 1862, and at Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Me., in 1863. The Doctor also passed examinations at Bellevue School of Medicine, Twenty-sixth street, New York, and School of Physicians and Surgeons, at Twenty-third street, New York. During the war he was appointed Assistant-Surgeon in the U. S. A., and did service for some sixteen months in the military hospital, at Augusta, and was for some years engaged in the practice of his profession at Jefferson, Me. The doctor came to Franklin County, Kan., in January, 1868, and located on his present farm one and a half miles south of the village of Rantoul, and in connection with his agricultural pursuits, continues to practice medicine. He owns some 400 acres of land, and is quite an extensive raiser of stock. He is assisted in management of his farm by his son, George S.
THOMAS G. STEWART, P. O. Ottawa, breeder of Short-horn cattle, was born in Washington County, Pa., in 1831. Ten years later his parents moved to Virginia, where he was reared on a farm. In 1848 he moved to Warren County, Ill., where he followed agricultural pursuits, and in the fall of 1866 emigrated to Kansas, locating in Douglas County. He farmed for four years, and in the spring of 1870 came to Franklin County, locating on his present farm in Cutler Township. He owns 240 acres of land, and is engaged in breeding Short-horn cattle, Berkshire hogs, and Norman draught horses. Several of his Short-horn cattle took premiums and sweepstakes at the Franklin County Fairs of 1881 and 82. He has on his place a fine orchard of about eleven acres, and a beautiful grove of cedars. Mr. Stewart is considered one of the enterprising men of the county.
A. D. REED, farmer, P. O. Rantoul, was born in Wyandotte County, Ohio, January 8, 1834, and reared on a farm. Removed to Iowa in 1854, and came to Kansas in the fall of 1855, with his father, Robert Reed, who still resides here. The subject of our sketch settled on his present farm, in Cutler Township, Franklin County, in the spring of 1856, and has resided on it since. He owns 240 acres of improved land, and is quite extensively engaged in raising cattle, sheep, and hogs. During the late war Mr. Reed served in the State Militia. He was married in Franklin County, Kas., October 30, 1866, to Myra T. Mitchell, and they have a family of three children--Stella, Vincent M., and Jessie.
BYRON H. REED, stock-raiser, P. O. Rantoul, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, December 13, 1831, and reared on a farm. In 1854 he removed to Iowa, and came to Kansas in the fall of 1855, locating in Franklin County, near here, and resided with his father, Robert Reed. About 1872 he purchased his present farm, but did not move his family on to it until 1878. He has 228 acres of land, and makes a specialty of dealing in and raising live stock. He made a trip to Denver, Col., a few years ago, and is interested in mining pursuits in that State. Mr. Reed also corresponds for several of our leading Western newspapers. During the war he served in Company D, Twelfth Kansas Infantry as a private. He was tendered a commission several times, but preferred to remain in the ranks. He was married at Paola, Kas., July 26, 1877, to Annie V. Denison. They have a family of two children--Harold B. and Albert E.
QUINCY A. SEYMOUR, raiser and shipper of live stock, P. O. Rantoul, was born in Licking County, Ohio, November 15, 1845, and came to Franklin County in October, 1857. Locating with his father, Benjamin J., at this place. His father died in the March following, and Quincy lived on the farm with his mother until March, 1861, when he enlisted in the Second Battalion M. S. M., serving until the battalion was mustered out a year later. He then teamed for the Government eight months, after which he purchased a team, and was for about three years engaged in breaking prairie. At the age of twenty years he purchased eighty acres of land in this neighborhood and engaged in farming and stock raising. In 1882 he moved to his present place of residence and succeeded in having the M. P. R. R. Co. place the Rantoul station on his land. He resides within a few rods of the same, which gives him splendid facilities for shipping his stock. In 1860 Mr. Seymour had little or no means, and worked for his board at Osawatomie, Miami County. He owns now 410 acres of improved land; is the sole owner of the town-site of Rantoul, and is one of the largest stock-dealers in the county. Mr. Seymour was married in this County in March, 1868, to Martha E. Wise. They have two living children--Frankie and Jimmie; and one deceased--Charlie.
OLIVER J. BODLEY, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Richland County, Ohio, May 26, 1836, and when a youth removed to Bureau County, Ill., where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits and stock-raising; also did considerable business in teaming and grading. He came to Franklin County, November 3, 1878; was for a time engaged in coal-mining at Williamsburg. In March, 1879, he moved on to his present farm, in Hayes Township. Mr. Bodley is one of the leading farmers in the county, and is quite extensively engaged in stock-raising. He uses about 850 acres of land, of which he cultivates 400 acres; the balance is used for stock purposes.
JOHN COPPLE, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Norwood, was born in Clark County, Ind., March 31, 1835, and reared on a farm. He came to Kansas in November, 1854, and for two years resided in Leavenworth County. Early in 1857 he came to Franklin County and pre-empted 160 acres of land, on which he still resides. He now owns 215 acres, 115 of which are in cultivation, and he is also largely engaged in raising live stock. In 1874 Mr. Copple built on his farm a handsome residence, at a cost of about $1,000; and he has a capacious barn, with a stone foundation, which cost about $1,400. He was married in Leavenworth County, Kas., to Sarah E. Rasdall. They have three children--Melinda F., Laura, and Jacob.
E. W. HUME, farmer, Section 1, Township 16, Range 19, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Utica, N.Y.; and nine years later, his parents emigrated to Grundy County, Ill., where he was reared on a farm. He enlisted August 1, 1861, in Company G, Thirty-sixth Illinois Infantry, and was mustered out as Sergeant October 15, 1864. Mr. Hume was taken prisoner at the battle of Murfreesboro, January, 1863, but was paroled shortly afterwards. After the war, he followed agricultural pursuits in Grundy County. He came to Franklin County, Kan., in January, 1872; resided for one years in Ottawa Township, and then located on his present farm. He owns 560 acres of land, all improved, and cultivates 160 acres. His principal business is stock-raising, making a specialty of graded Short-horn cattle and Poland-China hogs, He also has a good orchard of about four hundred trees. Mr. Hume held the office of Clerk one year, Trustee of this Township for two years, and in 1877 received the Democratic nomination for Sheriff of the county. That party being in the minority, in this County, he was not elected.
NELSON MERCHANT, farmer, P. O. Media, was born at Lyons, Wayne County, N.Y., May 24, 1830, and was reared on a farm. In December, 1857, he came to Franklin County, and pre-empted 160 acres in Hayes Township on which he still resides. He owns 320 acres in this County, all improved, and is quite an extensive farmer and breeder of stock. He was Justice of the Peace at this place for sixteen consecutive years, Assistant-Assessor of Franklin County for several years, Engrossing Clerk in the State Legislature in 1868, and Sergeant-at-Arms in the State Senate in 1869 and 1870. Mr. Merchant served in the Kansas State Militia during the war. He was married in Wayne County, N.Y., January 29, 1851, to Julia A. Griffith, and they have a family of six children--Herschel N., Lydia E., Nettie L., Foster P., Clarence M., and Charles.
JAMES A. PURDY, agent K. C. L. & S. K. R. R. Co., Le Loup, was born at Hillsboro, Ohio, January 15, 1835. His father was a merchant, and for some years the subject of our sketch followed mercantile business as a clerk, and was for ten years engaged in business for himself at Newmarket, Highland Co., Ohio. In 1862, he removed to Illinois, farmed for some three years in Edgar County and for nine years in Douglas County; was then located for two years at Mattoon, Ill., employed as a collector for the Howe S. M. Co. In June, 1876, he came to Franklin County; located at Pomona, and was for two years engaged in agricultural pursuits; in December, 1878, he came to LeLoup; was appointed station agent, as before mentioned; agent for the Adams Express Co., and Postmaster March 14, 1879. He has also for the past four years been engaged in dealing grain and baling hay. The style of the firm in this business is Purdy & Mundy. They are also extensively engaged in farming and stock-raising.
A. C. SHINN, farmer, P. O. Ottawa, was born in West Virginia, and was reared on a farm in Hancock County, Ill. In August 1862, he enlisted in Company G, Twelfth Illinois Cavalry, serving until mustered out in June, 1865. He and his wife came overland through Missouri to Kansas in February, 1866, locating on his present farm in Hayes Township, Franklin County. He is the owner of 400 acres of improved land, and is engaged in farming, stock-raising and fruit-growing. Mr. Shinn is one of the leading farmers in this county, and has served two years as Vice-President and two as President of the Franklin County Agricultural Society.
WILLIAM SLATER, farmer, Section 35 and 36, P. O. Norwood, is a native of England, and previous to coming to Kansas, he was for twenty-five years engaged in agricultural pursuits in Grundy County, Ill. He came to Franklin County, March 1, 1882, and located on his present farm. He has 557 acres of land, all improved, 270 of which are under cultivation. His principal business is stock-raising; on his place is a fine orchard of ten acres; he is assisted in his business by his son, Alfred Slater, who is a partner in the land.
SAMUEL K. WICKARD, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Media; was born in Parke County, Ind., May 7, 1825, and when very young, his parents emigrated to Butler County, Ohio, where he was brought up in the business of agriculture. His educational advantages were those of the common school; however his application to books was such that at the age of nineteen he became one of the popular teachers in the public schools in his county. Continued in the business for seven years during the winter seasons, the summers he spent on the farm with his father. He early embraced the Christian religion and has been a faithful advocate of the doctrine of the Church of Christ ever since, and leaving the impression wherever he has been of a faithful Christian worker. He was married in the year 1850 to Mary E. Bridge, of Butler County, Ohio, and in January 1855, moved to Carroll County, Ind., where he engaged in the business of agriculture. After four years of great success, he, in consequence of the decease of his wife, returned to Butler County, Ohio, and bought a farm and began the business of shipping stock and grain in connection with his farming. In 1869 in company with three other gentlemen, purchased a rotary saw mill and engaged in the manufacture of lumber under the firm name of Wickard, Crane & Co.; continued in this business for seven years, adding thereto the manufacture of ditching tiles, continuing his shipping business, from the station on the Cincinnati & Indianapolis Junction R.R., known as Ogles station, near Oxford, Ohio. In 1863 he assisted in recruiting a company of 100 men for the sixty-ninth Ohio National Guards, Thomas Moor, Colonel, and was elected Captain by an unanimous vote of the company. After about a year of drill, in obedience to the President's call for the Hundred Day's men of Ohio, they were mustered into the service in May, 1864, as Company I, One Hundred and Sixty-seventh Regiment Ohio National Guards. They served four months, were permitted to return home with their arms in September, 1864, in time to see that the draft was quietly executed in their County, there having been organized resistance threatened. In 1869, Mr. W. sold out his entire effects and came to Franklin County, Kan., arriving at Ottawa, May 2. His intention was to purchase a stock-ranch somewhere in the State and engage in the cattle business, but his plans were very suddenly changed, by a Providential Interference, in the sickness of his father and the decease of his wife and youngest child. He then concluded to locate in Ottawa and engage in the grocery business, which he did under the firm name of S. K. Wickard & Co.; his partner was a nephew of his, who had a small interest with him. After continuing the business successfully for two years, he decided that he liked the country better than the city, and in 1871, he moved to the farm, where he now lives, and since that time he has confined himself chiefly to agricultural pursuits; he has 267 acres, all under fence and mostly under good cultivation. In politics, Mr. Wickard was a staunch Republican, ever since the organization of the party, till about 1872, when he became dissatisfied and allied himself with the party of Reform, or Greenback party, and in 1873 he received the nomination of the party for County Treasurer; losing the election by only sixty-eight votes, and getting all the votes in his precinct, except two. In September, 1882, he was nominated by the same party for State representative, but was beaten by a small majority; the party being in the minority in his district, his election was not expected.
CHARLES C. WIGHTMAN, of Stacher & Wightman, merchants, Le Loup, was born at Cascade, Iowa, in 1856, and when very young moved with his parents to Germantown, Ohio, and was for some years employed with his father in the United States Internal Revenue office at that place. In 1874 he came to Kansas, locating at Ottawa, and was for about three years employed in the flour mills of H. D. Crane & Co. About 1877 he entered the employ of L. N. Stacher, in dry-goods business, and in November, 1881, formed a partnership with him and opened a general merchandise business at this place. The firm do a large business, and carry a stock of about $3,000.
GEORGE BURGE, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Springfield, Ill., October 12, 1838. He was for twelve years employed in the postoffice at that place as a clerk. In August, 1868, he came to Franklin County, and located on his present farm. He owns 138 acres, 100 of which are under cultivation, and has a fine orchard of about five acres. He makes a specialty of raising hops. Mr. Burge was burned out in 1874, losing a $4,000 residence. He, however, was not discouraged, but with his usual energy pushed ahead, and to-day is one of the representative farmers of this township. He is also to a limited extent engaged in bee culture. Mr. Burge was married in Springfield, Ill., in November, 1864, to Martha Clark. They have two children--George and Frank.
ADAM JOHNS, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Germany, October 9, 1848, and emigrated to Erie County, Pa. in 1864, where he learned the trade of blacksmith and followed it for a livelihood. He came to Kansas in 1866, and was employed at his trade at Fort Scott for four months; then at St. Louis, Mo., for eighteen months. In 1868 he removed to Franklin County, and followed his trade for a few months at Ottawa; then carried on a blacksmith establishment for two years; since which time he has given his attention to farming pursuits. In September, 1882, he moved on to his present farm. He has 235 acres, six acres of which are orchard, and he cultivates 170 acres. Mr. Johns is also an extensive raiser of cattle and hogs. He was married in Ottawa, Kan., in 1869, to Agnes Helfen. They have a family of three children--Annie, Anthony and Agnes.
SAMUEL McCULLAGH, breeder of pedigreed Berkshire hogs, Section 4, P. O. Ottawa, was born at Nassau, Rensselaer Co., N. Y., in 1842. In April, 1859, he emigrated to Sangamon County, Ill., where he was employed at general farm work. In the fall of 1865 he came to Franklin County, Kan.; farmed for one year in Ohio Township, after which he moved on to his present farm. He owns 160 acres of land, 100 of which are under cultivation. Mr. McCullagh is the most extensive breeder of thoroughbred Berkshire hogs in the State of Kansas. He keeps nothing but pure bloods; has in all about 180 head. In his herd are his famous boars--Plantagenet, No. 2919; Young Carlisle, No. 6810, and Royal Duke, No. 3601, and the famous sows--Belle; Clermont, No. 2498; Liverpool Belle, No. 6994; Queen of Pleasant Valley, and many others. He is also a breeder of Short-horn cattle. Mr. McCullagh's farm is situated about three miles southwest of the city of Ottawa. He has a very pretty place, and calls it the Pleasant Valley Farm.
JOHN V. POLLINGER, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Ottawa, was born in York County, Pa., January 31, 1840, and reared on a farm. At sixteen years of age he removed to Huron County, Ohio, where he was employed in agricultural pursuits. In 1860 he went to Shelby County, Ill., farmed for a while, and on February 16, 1863, he enlisted in Company C, Tenth Illinois Cavalry, and served until November 25, 1865. He came to Kansas in 1866, located in Ottawa. He was for a while engaged in teaming, and also carried on a billiard hall. In 1867 he engaged in agricultural pursuits in Greenwood Township, which he has followed since. In 1872 he moved on to his present farm. He owns eighty acres of land, seventy of which are under cultivation, and he has quite a fine orchard. Mr. Pollinger was six years Trustee of Greenwood Township, and Trustee of Lincoln Township in 1876. He was elected Justice of the Peace in the spring of 1882.
ABNER RIDDLE, farmer, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Champaign County, Ohio, in 1814, and five years later his parents removed to Sangamon County, Ill., where the subject of our sketch followed farming pursuits. He was a Commissioner of that County for eight years. In October, 1867, he came to Kansas and located in Lincoln Township, Franklin County, and has since been engaged in farming and raising stock. He moved onto his present farm in Section 15, November 10, 1879. He has 190 acres, thirty acres of which are in orchard. He raises considerable Short-Horn cattle, and is a breeder of draught horses. He was elected a Commissioner of Franklin County in 1871 and served two years.
JACOB WILKERSON, breeder of pedigreed Poland-China hogs, Section 29, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Randolph County, Ind., in December, 1851, and reared on a farm. In the spring of 1872 he came to Kansas and assisted his father, John Wilkerson, in farming in this township. A year later his father died and he and his brother William conducted the farm together for some years. In the spring of 1878 he moved onto his present farm. He owns eighty acres all improved, forty-five of which are under cultivation. He is making a specialty of breeding Poland-China hogs, and is quite successful. He was married in Franklin County, July 14, 1878, to Miss H. N. Leachman, a native of Illinois.
WILLIAM H. WILKERSON, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Randolph County, Ind., March 14, 1849, and reared on a farm. He came to Franklin County, Kansas, in September, 1870, and located on his present farm. For about three years he farmed with his father, since then for himself. He has 360 acres of land, all improved, cultivates 210 acres of it, and makes a specialty of fattening cattle and hogs for shipment. He has two good houses on his land and an orchard of three acres. Mr. Wilkerson was elected trustee of this township in 1880. He was married in Franklin County, Kansas, September 21, 1876, to Pauline L. Cannon. They have a family of three children: John N., Lucy J. and Jessie H.
ABRAHAM ANDERSON, farmer, P. O. Ottawa; was born in Sweden, June 22, 1834, and while residing there followed farming pursuits. In October, 1867, he emigrated to Ottawa, Kansas; was for five years employed in a stone quarry, and for about four years worked as a stone mason. In October, 1876, he moved onto his present farm in Harrison Township, Franklin County. He owns 135 acres of land, all improved. He has on his farm several good stone quarries from which he has taken stone and built himself a fine residence and barn. Mr. Anderson was married in Sweden in December, 1855, to Stoofa Billman. They have a family of five children: August J., Alfred, Carl R., William E., John H. E.
THOMAS W. HARRISON, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Porter County, Ind., March 31, 1844, and reared at Russellville, Putnam County. In June, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Eighth Indiana Cavalry, serving three years. In the spring of 1866 he came to Franklin County and located on his present farm in Harrison Township. He has 120 acres of land in a high state of cultivation, and laid off with osage hedges and wire fences. He is quite extensively engaged in raising stock for the Eastern markets and breeding thoroughbred Poland-China hogs. The township derived its name from his father, W. L. Harrison, who resides here. The subject of this sketch was married in Harrison Township, Franklin County, October 5, 1876, to Lillias Perkins. They have two children: Bernice B. and Bruce.
CHARLES B. JONES, farmer and dealer in live stock, P. O. Ottawa, was born at Woodsfield, Monroe Co., Ohio, September 7, 1831, and reared on a farm. He was for some years engaged in farming pursuits for himself and dealing in live stock in company with his father for fifteen years. He enlisted in April, 1861, in Company B, Twenty-fifth Ohio Infantry, serving two years; was elected First Lieutenant at time of mustering the company and promoted to Captain a year later. He came to Ottawa, Kansas in 1869; was for four months engaged in grocery business with W. M. Presbaw, and since then in live stock business in company with him. Mr. Jones moved on to his present farm in Harrison Township, in June, 1877. He has 160 acres, and his residence is but a short distance from the city of Ottawa. He has on his place a fine orchard of 20 acres, and deals quite extensively in cattle and hogs, buying and fattening his stock for the Eastern markets. Mr. Jones was married at Woodsfield, Ohio, February 6, 1862, to Eliza Archbold. She died in March, 1863, leaving one son, Edward A. The subject of our sketch was married a second time in Woodsfield, in March, 1867, to Matilda Manning; they have four children: Clayton, Maud, Samuel P. and Charles L.