|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This town is located in the middle of the line between Sections 33 and 34, Township 18, Range 21, in the beautiful Pottawatomie Valley, and on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. The postoffice was established March 21, 1855, and named Shermanville, after the Sherman brothers, who then lived here. Allen Wilkinson was the first postmaster. The place was for a long time popularly know as "Dutch Henry's Crossing," because Dutch Henry lived near the crossing of the creek. The crossing is now within the limits of the town, but of Dutch Henry's cabin, which was during the early border troubles a resort for the Pro-slavery settlers and border ruffians, not a vestige now remains.
The postoffice was abolished August 28, 1856, and re-established March 14, 1857. At the suggestion of Mrs. Judge Hanway, the name of the postoffice and town was on January 28, 1863, changed to Lane, in honor of Gen. James H. Lane. The first store, and the only one here for a number of years, was started and kept by Duncan Holiday.
Modern Lane began with the building of the railroad from Paola to Leroy. The first attempt to build this road failed in 1873. In 1879, Commodore Garrison, who owned the Missouri Pacific, worked up the franchises along the line, and built from Paola to Le Roy. In 1880, Jay Gould bought the Missouri Pacific, and gave to Pottawatomie township her $12,000 in bonds, receiving therefor the $12,000 in stock of the road held by the township.
When the road was built a new town was laid out and platted, adjoining Lane on the northeast, and named Emerson. The town company was composed of F. M. Shaw, M. Mellen, J. W. Walter, S. W. Devore, Mr. Emerson and others. This new town soon began to build up. Dr. Jackson erected two large two-story buildings; E. R. Beeson & Co., built a store; Dr. Crummin opened a lumber yard; the grange store was removed here from Amo; Mr. Johnson built a hotel; Mr. Fowler, a blacksmith shop, and a number of dwellings were erected. Soon after a disagreement sprang up in regard to the name. Mr. Garrison selected the name Avondale, which was given to, and retained by, the station until 1881. In 1880 a petition was circulated and largely signed to have the postoffice removed to, and called by the name of Avondale. This project was strongly opposed by some of the old settlers, and after a bitter fight, Elder Hendrickson was made Postmaster, and the name "Lane," retained. The Lane Town Company was then formed, and the town of Lane laid out. The town company was composed of John S. and Brougham Hanway, W. H. Ambrose, L. Hendrickson, D. L. Welsh, and others, and for eighteen months the two rival towns of Lane and Avondale, each tried to build itself up at the expense of the other. During the latter part of 1881, the strife ceased, prosperity began and peace reigned. The Lane mills were built this year, and a new two-story, rough coralline marble schoolhouse, costing $3,000, besides about thirty dwelling houses. During the first six months of 1882, about twenty dwellings were erected, making the total number in the town sixty. Besides these there are about twenty-five business houses, among them one hotel, three general stores, one drug store, one boot and shoe store, two millinery stores, two blacksmith shops, one wagon shop, one agricultural implement depot, one marble shop, a number of church organizations, and about three hundred inhabitants.
Lincoln Park is located just across Pottawatomie Creek, north from the village. In this park T. J. Crowder erected in the spring of 1882, a tabernacle 40X80 feet, to which all the denominations resort for religious services, there being no church building nearer than that owned by the Society of Friends, three miles east.
The Lane Advance was established July 1, 1881, by Wilbur & Leidom. April 15, 1882, Mr. Leidom sold his interest to S. W. Winter, and on July 1, 1882, Wilber & Winter sold the paper to H. J. Newberry and T. J. Crowder, its present proprietors. It is an eight column, four page weekly, independent in politics, and devoted to temperance, morality and public improvement. The Advance is an Independent paper, but the editor is a strong prohibitionist. The paper is well edited, strictly moral, devoted to the upbuilding of Lane and vicinity, and especially the moral and intellectual features of its society.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - POTTAWATOMIE TOWNSHIP.
JOHN T. BAKER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Lane, was born in Putnam County, Ind., March 2, 1843, and ten years later removed to Jackson County, Mo., where he resided with his parents for a year, and came with them to Franklin County in October, 1855. His father, Joshua Baker, located in this township, and Jon T. assisted him in farming until 1868, when he began on his own account. In 1875 he moved on to his present farm, in Section 36, Township 18, Range 20. He has 320 acres, all improved, and is quite extensively engaged in breeding high grades of Short-horn cattle and Poland China hogs. He enlisted August 30, 1862, in Company D, Twelfth Kansas Infantry, and was mustered out in July, 1865. Mr. Baker was Clerk of the Township three terms, and in 1879 was elected a County Commissioner for three years. He was married in Douglas County, Kan., March 4, 1875, to Hattie Ashby. They have a family of two children--Elizabeth and William.
JOSEPH N. BAKER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Lane, was born in Putnam County, Ind., September 24, 1838, and came to Franklin County with his father, Joshua Baker in the fall of 1855. He assisted his father in farming in the township for some years. In the summer of 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Twelfth Kansas, and served until July, 1865. In the spring of 1867, he moved on to his present farm in Section 31, Township 18, Range 21. He owns 160 acres, all highly improved, and is quite an extensive raiser of cattle and hogs. He has a fine orchard on his place. Mr. Baker was Justice of the Peace for two years, and was elected Trustee of the Township in the spring of 1882. He was married in Miami County, Kan., in the spring of 1867, to Eliza Shear, a native of New York. They have a family of two children--Joshua and Gertie.
E. R. BEESON, of E. R. Beeson & Co., merchants, was born in Richmond, Ind., April 2, 1833, and reared in Highland County, Ohio. In 1850 he emigrated to Canton, Ill., where he was employed as a clerk in mercantile business. He came to Kansas in 1860, located at Osawatomie, and was engaged in freighting and dealing in live stock, traveling in Kansas and other Western States. In 1872, he came to Lane, purchasing the business and stock of D. Holladay. He conducted a general merchandise business for four years, after which he devoted himself to farming and stock business. In December, 1878, he again engaged in business at Lane, in company with S. R. Smith, of Paola. This firm do an extensive business, carrying a stock of $8,000 to supply the demands of their trade.
THOMAS J. CROWDER, farmer, P. O. Lane, was born at Springfield, Ill., May 28, 1835, and for some fifteen years carried on a large stock-breeding farm in Sangamon County. In 1872 he went to Nebraska, and was engaged in stock raising and farming in Saunders County. In 1874 he came to Kansas and located the Beulah Colony in Crawford County. He was president of the colony, and remained there engaged in agricultural pursuits over a year, after which he removed to Wyandotte. During the winter months he was engaged in dealing in coal at Kansas City, and in the summer traveled in the interest of emigration for the K. C. L. & S. K. R. R. Co., in which business he was engaged for some four years. Resided then at Lawrence for a year, and during that period located and opened up Bismark Grove, in the interest of the Railroad company; then located and resided at Merriam Park, Johnson County, for two years. In April, 1882, he moved to Pottawatomie, Franklin County, and resides a short distance from the town of Lane. He owns in this township eighty acres of land, forty of which he has improved, and is known as Lincoln Park; the balance he farms. Mr. Crowder has also a farm of forty acres in Miami County, and is just about to engage in the breeding of fine stock.
S. W. DEVORE, of Devore & Mellen, real estate and loans, was born in Morrow County, Ohio, and reared on a farm. He learned the trade of carpenter and builder, at Cardington, Ohio, and followed it as an occupation. In June, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Fourth Ohio Infantry, serving three years. Re-enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Ohio Infantry. Was appointed First Sergeant, and six months later promoted to Second Lieutenant, serving one year. He came to Kansas in 1868, located at Paola, and was employed at his trade for two years, after which he came to Franklin County, and for three years followed farming pursuits. Moving into the town of Lane, he again worked at his trade, and in March, 1879, opened a real estate and loan office. The firm name was Walter & Devore. The former retired from the business September 1, 1882, and Morris Mellen was admitted to a partnership.
ERASTUS DICKERSON, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Richmond, was born in Sangamon County, Ill., October 10, 1836, and was for some years engaged in agricultural pursuits. In February, 1871, he came to Franklin County and located on his present farm in Pottawotamie Township. He owns 290 acres of land, and cultivates 150 acres of it. His farm is well-improved, and he has a fine residence and orchard on the same. Mr. D. is one of our largest farmers and raisers of stock in this section of the country. He was Trustee of the Township for three years, and Clerk for one. Was elected Justice of the Peace in February, 1882.
CHARLES H. GLINKMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Lane, was born at Waterloo, Canada, August 22, 1844, where he learned the trade of carpenter and builder. In 1865 he came to the United States and followed his trade in Chicago, St. Louis and Moberly, Mo. In July, 1870, he came to Franklin County, and located on his present farm on Section 30, Town 18, Range 21. He owns 278 acres, and is one of the leading farmers and stock-breeders of this Township. On his farm he has a nice residence, amply supplied with water from springs. These springs also supply his barn with water, and are used to supply a large pond which Mr. G. is about making, in which to breed carp, etc., for table use. He, in connection with his farming pursuits, also at times does considerable work as a carpenter and builder.
HON. LOUIS HENDRICKSON, farmer, P. O. Lane, was born in Jefferson County, Mo., August 19, 1830, where he learned the trade of stone mason, and worked at the same there until 1855, when he moved to Jackson County. In 1857 he joined the Missouri Methodist Episcopal Conference, and preached for four years in Central Missouri. Removed in May, 1861, to Jersey County, Ill., where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits, and also acted as a local preacher until November, 1866, when he came to Kansas, locating in Ottawa. He farmed for a year, then joined the Kansas Methodist Episcopal Conference, and for ten years resided at Osawatomie, Miami County. Was for two years in charge of that circuit, and for eight years acted as a local preacher. In 1868 he embarked in business there as a contractor and builder. Among the many buildings he erected in Osawatomie is the Public Schoolhouse. In 1876 he was elected to the State Legislature, to represent District Thirty. In 1877 he moved to Pottawatomie Township, Franklin County, and engaged in farming pursuits. On his farm he discovered coralline marble, and has built at Lane, from this fine stone, the Public Schoolhouse, Lane Mills, and a magnificent residence for himself. In 1879 he moved to Lane. In July, 1881, was appointed Postmaster at that place, and also about that time engaged in mercantile business, selling out later and resigning his postmastership in August, 1882. Mr. Hendrickson is now, in connection with his agricultural pursuits, engaged in conducting a portable sawmill. His residence farm, consisting of 160 acres, adjoins the town of Lane. He owns in the County 270 acres of land, and raises considerable stock.
C. L. KELLEY, grocer, was born at LaGrange, Oldham Co., Ky., in 1853 and during his early years was employed for a short time as a clerk in the mercantile business. In the spring of 1872 he came to Kansas, locating at Louisburg, Miami County; was employed for some six years as a clerk. In 1880 he engaged in the grocery and drug business at that place, continuing until August, 1882, when he sold out and removed to Lane. He at once engaged in this business and has the only exclusive grocery store in this place. Mr. K. has had considerable experience in this line, as his neatly kept place and finely assorted stock will show.
DR. A. J. McINTOSH was born in Hendricks County, Ind., in April, 1832. At the age of sixteen years he began the study of medicine at Jamestown, Ind., remaining with Dr. Smart as a student for five years, afterward continued his studies at the Cincinnati Medical College. In 1853 he began the practice of medicine at Monroe County, Wis., continuing there for five years. In 1857 he came to Kansas, located at Olathe, practicing there until 1862, when he returned to Wisconsin; he was appointed surgeon of the Sixteenth Wisconsin Infantry, serving in that capacity until three years later, after which he practiced at Keokuk, Iowa, for three years. In 1868, he returned to Olathe, practicing his profession there until 1871, when he went to Brosley, Mo., residing on a farm and following his profession. He also attended lectures at the Missouri State Medical College, graduating in March, 1878. In 1879 the doctor removed to Louisburg, Miami County, Kan., and on December 22, 1881, came to Lane. He associated with him in his practice in July, 1882, Dr. J. A. Ambrose. Dr. McIntosh is a member of the Kansas State Medical Society.
JAMES A. MILES, merchant and Postmaster, was born in Platte County, Mo., January 11, 1847, and reared on a farm, and followed farming in that County on his own account, after arriving at the age of maturity. On December 1, 1863, he enlisted in Company E., Sixteenth Kansas and served two years. Mr. Miles came to Kansas in April 1881, and located in Pottawatomie Township, Franklin County, where, in connection with farming pursuits, he conducted a portable saw mill. On August 5, 1882, he came to Lane and purchased the general merchandise business of L. Hendrickson; although here but a short time Mr. Miles has a good trade and carries a stock of about $3,500. He was appointed Postmaster at this place, September, 1882.
HORACE J. NEWBERRY, the present proprietor and editor of the Lane Advance, bought out Messrs. Wilbur & Winter in June, and took possession July 1, 1882. Was born in Guthrie County, Iowa, November 13, 1855; is a twin, his mate being a girl--name Eunice M. Newberry; has two other sisters, twins--Effie Ann and Emma Jane; also two brothers, Ezra Walter and George Leander, all living. His parents were John Wesley and Mary Newberry--he was born in Washington County, Ohio, February 8, 1832; she was born near Nashville, Tenn., February 16, 1824, maiden name Cooper. Horace J. and Eunice are the oldest of the family. All received a good common school education. Horace worked on the farm until nearly of age, when he learned the painter and paper hanging trade, in which he was successful, being a first-class workman. In 1877 he began corresponding for several newspapers. From Iowa his parents moved to Illinois, thence to Kansas in September, 1865, settling in Miami County. In 1870 they returned to Illinois, and in November 1876, again moved to Kansas, stopping at Ottawa. From Ottawa they moved to Lane, their present home. Horace was married March 14, 1880, to Miss Lydia H. Allen, of Ohio City, Franklin Co., Kan.; January 20, 1881, a son was born--Horace Elmer. Horace J. has a neat home on the southwest corner of Fifth and Cedar Streets, Lane.
HENRY H. PATTON, agent for S. A. Brown & Co., dealers in lumber and grain, was born in Marion County, Ohio, January 25, 1840, and reared on a farm. In July, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Fourth Ohio Infantry, and served four years, after which he farmed in Marion County until April, 1869, when he came to Kansas, locating at Greeley, Anderson County, since which time he has been interested in farming pursuits. He has an improved farm there of about forty acres. In November, 1881, he moved to Lane and took charge of the lumber yard and business of S. A. Brown & Co., at this place.
HON. JACOB G. REESE, farmer, P. O. Greeley, was born near Eaton, Preble Co., Ohio, November 20, 1825, and was reared there and in Butler County. He became a practical printer and compositor, and in 1847, removed to Greenville, Ohio, where he published The Greenville Banner, a Whig paper, for two years, after which he became associated with E. B. Taylor, and published the Greenville Journal, a Whig and Anti-slavery organ, for one year. He then bought out Mr. Taylor, and continued to publish the Journal for the period of seven years. In March, 1857, he came to Franklin County and located on his present farm, pre-empting the same. He owns 140 acres of land, and is engaged in agriculture, horticulture and stock-raising. Shortly after the outbreak of the war, he recruited Company F, Eleventh Kansas Infantry, which was mustered into service September 11, 1862, and Mr. Reese was at that time elected Captain of the company; eight months later the regiment was changed to cavalry. Captain Reese was commander of the post at Independence, Mo., for a period of nine months, and also did staff duty for Gen. McKean, acting for four months as Inspector-General and Chief of Cavalry. He participated in the battles of Fort Wayne, Ind. Ter., Cane Hill and Prairie Grove, Ark., resigning on account of ill health in March, 1865. In 1858, Mr. Reese was elected Chairman of the Board of Township Trustees and acted as County Commissioner for one year. Was elected to the State Senate in 1861, and to the House of Representatives in 1865. Mr. Reese was married at Greenville, Ohio, in 1852, to Eleanora Stamm, a native of Montgomery County, Ohio. They have one son--Lloyd O. Much of his time is now spent in the congenial employment he finds in the production of articles for the periodical press.
ALBERT SMITH, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Lane, was born in Macomb County, Mich., October 4, 1842, and reared on a farm. In the fall of 1865, he came to Franklin County, and has since been engaged in farming and raising stock. In 1867, he moved on to his present farm in Pottawatomie. Mr. Smith owns 198 acres of land, and makes a specialty of raising cattle and hogs. He was married here in August, 1871, to Christina Wilson, a native of Illinois. They have a family of five children, all born in this county.
DANIEL K. WATKINS, farmer, P. O. Lane, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, in November, 1831, removing a few years later to Montgomery County, Ind., where he followed agricultural pursuits. He came to Franklin County March 2, 1857, and pre-empted 160 acres; remaining only a few months, he returned to Indiana. In the fall of 1862 he enlisted in Company K, Eleventh Indiana Infantry, and served twenty-six months, after which he taught school. In the spring of 1866 he returned to Kansas, and was employed on a farm near Ottawa, and in December of that year moved on to his present farm, in Section 30, Township 18, Range 21. He owns 320 acres of land here, all improved, 130 of which are under cultivation, and is also engaged in breeding Short-horn cattle, etc. Mr. Watkins served one term as Trustee of the township. He was married at Ottawa, Kas., in December, 1866, to Mrs. Kinny, widow (formerly Hannah Nofsinger). They have a family of four children.
DR. WILLIS M. WRIGHT was born at Des Moines, Iowa, December 14, 1860. The doctor attended four courses of lectures at the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating June 6, 1882. The doctor located at Lane, Franklin County, Kas., July 15, 1882.
Greenwood Township was organized in 1865. It was originally a part of Ohio Township. The first settlement was made in 1863 by William Nightingale, the Sac and Fox agency having been removed in 1863 to Quenemo, Osage County. Among other settlers who came into the Township soon afterwards were Enos Reynolds, Fred Miller, James Moore, William Crum, George Logan and Harrison Reed.
The first election was held at Mr. Nightingale's tavern in 1866, and the first schoolhouse, a log one, was built that year. The town of Greenwood is located where the Sac and Fox Agency formerly was. The first agent of the Sac and Foxes was a Mr. James, whose sons have in later times been confounded with the notorious Frank and Jesse James, of Missouri. Perry Fuller succeeded James as agent, and brought about the treaty by which the Indians received their lands in severalty. This treaty provided for the building of houses for the heads of families. Robert S. Stevens secured the contract, and built the houses of stone, that being the most abundant material suited to the purpose. Upon the completion of the houses, the Indians converted them into stables for their ponies, themselves calmly sleeping in the tents as before, with the exception of Keokuk, their chief, and a few others. A number of traders have been located at this agency, among them H. S. Randall, William Pennock, and Thomas McCage.
When the Indians were removed it was determined to start a town. Judge G. B. Greenwood, of Arkansas, then United States Commissioner of Indian Affairs, assisted in making the treaty. Perry Fuller, William Pennock, Thomas McCage, H. S. Randall, H. B. Denman and Thomas Connelly laid out the town and named it after Judge Greenwood. Two or three houses were built, but the town never prospered, but instead, passed rapidly out of existence.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - GREENWOOD TOWNSHIP.
DAVID W. BURROWS, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, January 1, 1829, and was reared on a farm. He learned the trade of blacksmith and followed it as an occupation in Trumbull and Putnam counties for some twenty-three years. He enlisted October 15, 1861, in Company F, Fourth Ohio Regiment, and served until mustered out in November, 1864. After which he returned to his blacksmith establishment at Ottawa, Putnam Co., Ohio. Mr. Burrows came to Franklin County, Kas., in the fall of 1870, and located on his present farm. He owns eighty acres, all improved, thirty-five of which are in cultivation, and he raises considerable live stock. Mr. Burrows has a fine place. On his farm is a splendid orchard of various kinds of fruit, besides a nice residence, grove, etc. He is also engaged in bee culture, of which he has made quite a success.
JOHN DAVIS, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Pomona, was born in Parke County, Ind., May 1, 1833, and reared on a farm. In February, 1864, he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Indiana Infantry and served nine months, after which he again followed farming pursuits in Parke County. Mr. Davis made his first visit to Kansas in the fall of 1859, and resided for a year in Douglas County, and in March, 1870, returned, locating in Hayes Township, Franklin County, where he farmed for twelve years. During his residence in that district Mr. Davis served one year as Trustee of the Township, one year as Clerk, one year as Treasurer, and also one year as Justice of the Peace. He moved on to his present farm in March, 1882. He owns 320 acres, 125 of which are in cultivation, and he raises considerable Short-horn cattle and Poland-China hogs. His house is one of the old Indian trading posts and was built many years ago. The well on his premises has been in use since about 1844. Mr. Davis was married in Parke County, Ind., in 1856 to Louisa Jerome. They have a family of six children.
J. M. GRIFFIN, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Pomona, was born in Brown County, Ohio, April 10, 1826, and was reared on a farm. In 1851 he removed to Pike County, Ill., where he was engaged for four years in farming, and for six years carried on the mercantile business in Time. He enlisted in August, 1861, in Company E, Twenty-eighth Illinois Infantry and was appointed First Lieutenant, having recruited the company. On January 1, 1862 he was promoted to Captain and served until mustered out, November 8, 1864, after which for two years he conducted a hotel at Time, Pike County, Ill. Mr. Griffin came to Franklin County, Kas., early in 1869, located in Greenwood Township, and has since followed agricultural pursuits. In 1879 he moved on to his present farm, which consists of 160 acres, all well improved. He has a nice orchard and makes a specialty of raising and dealing in livestock. He is commander of the G. A. R. Post No. 86, at Pomona. In the fall of 1882 he received the Republican nomination for State Representative of his district.
GEORGE HARRIS, farmer, Section 35, P. O. Homewood, was born at Marietta, Washington Co., Ohio, May 7, 1852, and on June 10, 1859, came with his father, Asa Harris, to Franklin County, Kas., with whom he resided in Centropolis until 1866, when the family moved to the city of Ottawa, and three years later to Greenwood Township. He assisted his father on the farm until 1873, when he embarked in agricultural pursuits on his own account. In 1874, he located on his present farm. He owns eighty acres, all highly improved, and makes a specialty of grain-farming. He has a fine orchard, consisting of two acres of various kinds of fruit trees. Mr. Harris was married in Ottawa, February 13, 1873, to Lucina Oswalt, a native of Ohio. They have a family of three children--Menton R., George O. and Mary E.
JAMES H. RANSOM, merchant, was born at Panama, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., in 1836. He was for some years engaged in the mercantile business, and in February, 1868, came to Kansas. Locating at Burlington he conducted a dairy farm for about a year. Removed to Clinton, Douglas County, and followed agricultural pursuits in connection with which he conducted a saw and grist mills for six years. In 1875 he went to Lawrence and engaged in the coal business, mining for the same at Carbondale. In 1878 he came to Franklin County; located at Williamsburg, where he was engaged in coal-mining for some time, and was also Postmaster for eighteen months. He moved to his present location in the fall of 1881, and engaged in general merchandise business; carries a nice stock of about $2,500 and has a good trade. He owns several coal mines at this place, which yield about 1,000 tons of coal per month, and gives employment to sixty men. Mr. Ransom also owns 791 acres of land and raises considerable live stock.
HARRISON REED, farmer, Section 16, P. O. Pomona, was born in Virginia in 1815, and reared in Hamilton County, Ohio, where for a time he followed agricultural pursuits, after which he learned the trade of cooper, and worked at it for some years. In 1845 he removed to Schuyler County, Ill., and there he conducted a farm. In 1865 he came to Franklin County, Kas., and located on his present farm. He owns 320 acres of land, 200 of which are in cultivation and also raises considerable live stock. On his premises is a fine orchard of various fruit trees, comprising about seven acres. Mr. Reed is widely known throughout his neighborhood as Deacon Reed. He was one of the organizers of the Mission Baptist Church in this locality, and today is one of its most active members.
JAMES L. SMITH, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Ottawa, was born in Green County, Ky., March 23, 1845, and reared on a farm. He came to Franklin County, Kas., in 1865, and located at Homewood, but remained only a few months, returning to his home in Kentucky. He returned again to Franklin County in March, 1868; was employed at general farm work near Homewood, and in 1869 located on his present farm. He owns 140 acres of land, 70 of which are under cultivation, and he is quite an extensive raiser of live stock. He has a nice orchard of about two acres, and produces considerable fruit. Mr. Smith was married at Ottawa, Kas., in July, 1868, to Emily A. Dyle, of Virginia. This union has been blessed with a son--William Leonard.