KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


ELK COUNTY, Part 9

[TOC] [part 10] [part 8] [Cutler's History]

LONGTON.

In the southeastern part of Elk County, on the Kansas City, Lawrence & Southern Kansas Railroad, lies the village of Longton. The town is favorably located on high table land near the confluence of Hitching Creek with Elk River. In the winter of 1870, Dr. J. W. Kerr, J. Hoffman and Mr. Messick came down from Ottawa, Kan., into the southern part of the State for the purpose of taking a look at the country. The Journey began on the 6th day of February, and, on the 14th of that month, the party reached the mouth of Painterhood Creek, where they pitched tent and began looking up claims, and making inquiry as to where a favorable town site might be found. The present site of Longton being recommended, and, upon examination, the party being favorably impressed with the site, they concluded to establish a town. Accordingly, three eighty-acre tracts were entered, and a fourth eighty on the West was contracted for, making out the even 320 acres. Shortly after this, Dr. Kerr procured the services of a Surveyor and surveyed and platted Main street, and began the erection of a building, using timber spilt out for the purpose, there being no saw-mills in the country at that time.

About the 1st of June, J. W. Kerr, J. C. Pinney, J. Hoffman, J. B. Roberts, James Reynolds and Mr. Gardner organized a town company called the "Elk Rapids Town Company." It was soon afterward thought advisable to change the name, and Longton was fixed upon as the name. Some time in June, Wright & Kirby, of Ottawa, set up a steam saw mill, from which the now much needed building material was supplied, and the work of construction was rapidly pushed ahead. Kirby built a storehouse, Hitching a hardware store, and C. P. Alvey, in connection with the town company, erected a large two- story house, the lower story being owned and occupied by Alvey himself, and the upper story belonging to the town company.

In October, George Hansbrough came down from Garnett and erected a two-story hotel, which he opened for the accommodation of the public, and which is now the Gordon House, under the management of R. A. Gordon. About the same time, W. A. Watkins put up a store room, in which he put a stock of drugs. Various other buildings, residences, etc., had been made, so that at the end of twelve months the town contained twenty-seven houses completed, besides a large number in process of construction.

The town at present contains a population of about 600, and is a live and thriving village, noted for the social and hospitable character of her citizens.

The post office was established in the fall of 1870, and Dr. J. W. Kerr held the commission of Postmaster. The office was kept in the building which the Doctor erected that fall for a drug store, and was a diminutive concern constructed of hewed timbers and weather-boarded with clapboards. At that time the Doctor observed rather curious modes in the performance of his official duties, especially in the distribution of the mails, his custom being to open the mail bag, pour the contents into a small depression in the earthen floor of his store room, and then tell those present to proceed to " find their own mail," and each individual would set about searching for his own matter. Another anecdote illustrates his peculiar style. At one time a letter came to the office, for which there was no call made, and after allowing it to remain in the office for some time, the Doctor one day, when a number were present in the office, declared his intention of sending "that letter" to the dead letter office, whereupon he took it, and, opening the stove door, committed the message to the flames. Longton at this early day received the mails by an overland mail route leading from Independence to Winfield. The office at present is under the official management of J. W. Riley.

The first school was taught in Longton by Miss Eleanor Smith. beginning in March, 1870. The school was kept in the residence of Mr. Key, and numbered only a few pupils. On the 15th of March, 1872, the report of the teacher, Henry C. Parker, shows the total enrollment to be sixty-two, with an average daily attendance of thirty-eight. The schools at present number about 225 pupils, and are graded into two departments.

The first building used for school purposes was a private residence. The regular school building was erected is the fall of 1871, and was a crude wooden structure made of hewn logs, and weather-boarded with split clapboards. This building, after its completion, was used as a schoolhouse, church and a general camping place for new-comers. It was made with nothing but an earthen floor, the sills being made use of for seats. The schoolhouse now in use was built in the spring of 1873, and is a two-story frame surmounted with a cupola.

THE PRESS AND OTHER LOCAL MATTERS.

Longton, like most of the towns in the county, comes in with her well filled list of journalistic attempts. The first newspaper that was published in the county was published at this place. In the spring of 1871, Adrian Reynolds began the issue of the Howard County Ledger, which he moved to Elk Falls in the spring of 1874, and again in the fall of 1876 went to Howard. The Courant, edited by A. B. Steinberger, was brought to this place from Elk City in the fall of 1874, and after remaining one year was taken to Howard City.

The Longton Times, now in successful operation, was established March 25, 1881, by F. C. and G. M. Flory. The paper is a six-column folio, Republican in politics, and has a circulation of 500 copies.

F. C. Flory, editor-in-chief of the Longton Times, was born in Ottawa, Ill., December 22, 1858. At five years of age his parents moved to Keokuk, Iowa, where young Flory was engaged in attending school, working on farm, etc., until eleven years of age. In the spring of 1871, the family came to Kansas, settling at Longton, where he began learning the printer's trade, working with A. Reynolds on the Howard County Ledger.

Leaving Longton, he worked two years and a half in Independence on newspaper work, and in the spring of 1876 returned to Iowa. In December, 1879, he, in company with Vander Meulen, began the publication of a paper called the Marion County Express, in which he continued about a year, when he sold out his interest in the paper and returned to Kansas, and on the 25th of March, 1881, started the Longton Times.

Longton at one time enjoyed a supremacy over the other towns in the County, and for a while it was universally believed that she was destined to become the future metropolis of Elk County, but alas! "the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft a-glee." Longton had her day in which she flourished - had even attained to that point when she thought herself capable of taking on city garments, and even had elected a corp of city officials under incorporation. But there was a want of harmony among her people, and the wrangling of contesting factions began to mar her prospects. Besides this, other towns began to flourish, and Longton began to wane. Progress became checked, and in a short time the tendency was backward. Perhaps the greatest check thrown upon the improvement of Longton was the establishing of the County seat at Howard City, and the consequent stimulus to the rapid development o{ that place, and when it became noised abroad that this was to be the chief town of the county all interest in other places was dropped and centered upon Howard City. Thus, Longton was left to a slower growth amid bedimmed prospects, and although she may never attain to any magnitude, will yet continue a creditable town and trading point.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

A. BAUGHMAN, agent for the Singer Manufacturing Company, was born in Woodstock County, Va. Was brought up in Fairfield County, Ohio, from the age of six months until fourteen years of age. Then went to Pickaway County, remaining there until the fall of 1861, when he enlisted in the Forty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry. In the winter of 1863-64, was veteranized and remained in the service until the close of the war, serving as Fourth Sergeant of Company E. In 1868, emigrated to Kansas, locating at Garnett, Anderson County; in October, 1870, came to Howard County with a company and laid out the town site of Longton The following year was with the government survey through Montgomery, Cowley and Howard Counties. After this was completed, engaged in contracting and building for the next three years; then engaged in farming and freighting, following this for the next three years, when he engaged in the mercantile business at Longton; in May, 1882, he sold out and soon after became agent for the Singer Sewing Machine Company, controlling four counties. Was Treasurer of the Town Company four years. He was married in June, 1873, in Circleville, Ohio, to Miss Emma E. Miller. They have two children - Torbot E. and Jesse M. He is a member of Mulligan Post, No. 91, G. A. R., and is the officer of the day; Longton Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F., of Circleville, Ohio.

GIDEON BAUGHMAN, farmer, P. O. Longton, was born in Richland County, Ohio, in 1827. When five years of age, his parents emigrated to Fulton County, Illinois, and was raised there. In 1857, he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Wabaunsee County, while Kansas was yet a Territory, and took a claim there, which he improved, and remained there and in Lyon County until 1870, and then took a trip West, but returned and located in Elk County (then Howard), and took a claim on Section 8, Township 31, Range 12. Before the survey was made, there was no railroad within forty-five miles, and but few settlers in this, (sic) part of the township. His place is well situated, watered by a branch of Hickory Creek, and about thirty acres of timber; has fenced 130 acres, put eighty acres in cultivation, planted a good orchard of 250 apple and 300 peach trees, and a large variety of small fruits; put up good frame house 26x28, barn 26x30, and has stocked the farm with about fifty head of cattle and as many hogs; has done well here, and is one of the substantial men of the township. He voted at the first election, and has taken an active interest in school matters at all times; was married, in Fulton County, Ill., to Miss Sarah Shriver. They have two children, viz., Perry and Lois.

ALEXANDER DUNLOP (deceased) was born in Scotland in 1827, emigrated to America. In 1851, locating in Washington County, Ill., where he remained until 1866, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Anderson County. In 1869, he located a claim in Howard (now Elk) County before the survey was made, and there were no railroads within 100 miles; his claim was in Sections 32 and 33; watered by Hitchin Creek. He afterward added eighty acres to the place, making a farm of 240 acres, which he had nicely improved, with 100 acres in cultivation; fenced the whole place, planted a good orchard, and put up a good stone house 24x18, and had but just completed has improvements when his death occurred, in the winter of 1878. He was one of the best of citizens, and a man highly respected. He was married in 1867, at Garnett, Kan., to Miss Mary Whitsen, of that place, a native of Scotland. They were blessed with three children, viz., George, Robert and James. Mrs. Dunlop, with the assistance of her husband's brother, has been carrying on the farm since the death of Mr. Dunlop.

JAMES DUNLOP, deceased, was born in Scotland in 1832; emigrated to America in 1851, and located in Washington County, Ill., and remained there until 1855. when he located in La Salle County, Ill.; thence to Livingston County, and in 1866, emigrated to Kansas and located in Anderson County. In 1870, he settled in Howard County, now Elk, and took a claim on Section 9, Township 31, Range 12, lying on the Elk River. He was among the first settlers on the river, and located has claim before the survey was made. He was 100 miles from a railroad, and the Indians still roamed through the country. Mr. Dunlop secured a fine farm with forty acres of timber, and at once began improving it, and had got it in good shape to live comfortably when he was called away. His death occurred April 30, 1882; all but twenty-five acres out of 164, was under cultivation, with good fence, orchard, barns and dwelling, and had accumulated quite a stock. He was married in 1854 to Miss Jane McKay, of Washington County, Ill., who came from Scotland in 1850. They were blessed with ten children - James, Jr., Barbara, William, Jennie, John, Alice, Arthur, Elizabeth, Emma and Andy. He was a member of Longton Lodge, No. 126, A., F. A. M. The place is carried on by his widow Mrs. Jane Dunlop, with the assistance of his sons.

L. A. FREEMAN, farmer, P. O. Longton, was born in Edgar County, Ill., in 1850, and raised there until 1868; then emigrated to Kansas, locating in Crawford County, and remained there two years. He then returned to Illinois, and at the end of one year was united in marriage with Miss S. J. Skidmore, of Vermillion County; in 1871, returned to Kansas, locating in Elk County, and bought a farm on Section 7, Town 31, Range 12, of 430 acres, taking in the Elk River; has since disposed of 150 acres; of the balance, 280 acres, has 200 fenced; 115 acres in cultivation; twenty-five acres of timber; four acres in orchard; good frame house, 16x32 and 16x26, story and a half high; this is one of the most desirable farms in the Elk Valley, the land being very productive, producing as high as forty-seven bushels of wheat per acre, and seventy-five bushels of corn. Mr. Freeman is also interested in the real estate business, with Messrs. Jackson & Flora at Longton. He is one of the best farmers and business men in the township. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman have been blessed with five children - Ella B., O. A., Bertie A., Ida May and Addison D. Mr. Freeman is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

L. D. GARDNER, farmer, P. O. Longton, was born in Perry County, Ohio, 1838, but was raised in Coles County, Ill.; enlisted in August, 1861, in the Fifty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving three years; returning to Coles County from the army, remained there until 1865, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating at Fall River, Wilson County, remaining there until 1871, when he settled in Howard County, taking a claim in Section 27, Town 31, Range 12; there was no railroad nearer than Humboldt, about sixty- five miles, where all supplies were obtained; there were no Improvements to be seen, and only one house in sight, and the survey was not yet completed; has improved his claim by fencing sixty acres; thirty-five acres in cultivation; planted a good orchard, put up good house, stable and corrals, and has been engaged in farming and stock-raising. In 1869, was married to Miss Margaret Gardner, a native of Perry County, Ohio. They have two children - Solomon S. and Alva A.

JOEL HAMOR, farmer, P. O. Longton, was born in Delaware County, Penn., in 1806, but was raised in Chester County. In 1826, he went to Philadelphia and took a mathematical course at the B. C. Tucker Academy, going from there to Lancaster County; while there, he was engaged in teaching for three years. In 1840, he located in Blair County, and was Professor of mathematics in the Evansburg Academy for one year. In 1850, he emigrated to Iowa and engaged in farming, near Davenport. In 1873 he emigrated to Kansas and bought a large farm on the Elk River bottoms, on Sections 8 and 17, Township 31, Range 12, and engaged in farming and stock-raising. This place had about thirty acres of very fine timber, and is one of the best places in the county. He has 206 acres, with 100 acres under cultivation, which produce from sixty to eighty bushels per acre. He has a fine orchard which yields from 500 to 600 bushels apples per annum, and a variety of other fruits, and raises the largest pears in the county; also raises from forty to fifty heed of cattle and sixty to seventy head of hogs per annum. Although nearly seventy-eight years of age, Mr. Hamor is hale and hearty, and oversees and manages his farm as well as a younger man. He was married in 1843, to Miss Youngling, a native of Pennsylvania, Their children are Flavia, Mary A., Thomas L., Finetta, Martha, Edward R., Adella and Olive.

JOEL HOSTETTER, merchant, was born in Hocking County, on the Hocking River, Ohio, 1825. In 1831, migrated to Noble County, Ind., where he was raised and lived until 1868; was put into a dry goods store as soon as he was old enough to reach the counter, and handled this line until 1867. In the spring of 1868, migrated to Kansas, locating at Ottawa, where he engaged in the dry goods business; at the end of four years, located at Thayer, and engaged in farming and stock-raising, remaining there until 1881, when he came to Longton, Elk County, and engaged in the hardware and furniture business with his son-in-law, Mr. Bolinger. They also have a term joining the town site of Longton, which they carry on. Also owns 160 acres of land at Thayer, Neosho County, which he improved, and has stocked with twenty-five cows, and sixty-five head of young stock. The subject of this sketch is a thorough, enterprising business man, and a man who takes hold of any enterprise which will benefit the general public. Besides his farming and mercantile business, has stock in the Longton Coal Company and [is] one of the directors. Was married in 1844 in Noble County, Ind., to Miss M. E. Preston, of that place. They have been blessed with three children, viz.: Elmer, Amanda and Julia. Is a member of Longton Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M. and to the I. O. O. F., of Noble County, Ind.

D. W. JACKSON, merchant, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, in 1840, going from there to Benton County, Ind., when sixteen years of age, remaining there until 1861, when he enlisted in the first call in a company called the Benton Guards, served three months; in August, 1862, he enlisted in the Seventy-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving three years as Sergeant. In 1868, emigrated to Kansas, locating at Garnett, Anderson County, where he worked as a carpenter. In October, 1870, he located in Howard County, with C. T. Miller, and put up one of the fiast (sic) business houses in Longton and engaged in the mercantile business, freighting his goods from Humboldt. At the end of three years, sold out and engaged in contracting and building, which he followed until 1878, and from that time until April, 1882, was in the real estate and loan business. He then bought a stock of hardware, and has since been in the hardware and furniture business, in connection with said real estate and loan business; has held the office of Justice of the Peace since 1871. He was married February, 1861, in Oxford, Benton County, Ind., to Miss Evans. They have four children - C. J., A. E, Mattie M. and J. C. He is a member of Mulligan Post, No. 91, G. A. R. and Longton Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M.

GEORGE S. LOGAN, blacksmith, was born in Bucks County, Penn., in 1840, was raised near Morrisville, and learned the blacksmith trade at that point. In 1865, enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry about six months; re-enlisted in March, 1864, in the one Hundred and Fifty-second Heavy Artillery, receiving his discharge in November, 1860; soon after coming out of the army, migrated to Indiana, and after remaining there a short time, settled in Vermillion County, Ill., remaining there until 1870, when he migrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County, and took a claim before the county had been surveyed, in Section 2, Township 32, Range 11, some sixty-five miles from a railroad: lived on the place two years, and partially improved it, and then located at Boston and started a blacksmith shop, and worked to make Boston the county seat. After remaining there three years, and not succeeding in getting the county seat at that point, he came to Longton and opened a blacksmith shop, which he carried on for three years, when he sold out and went to Missouri, where he remained nearly five years, and returned to Moline, Elk County, and after remaining a short time, returned to Longton and went in company with Mr. McKay in the blacksmith business. In 1868, was married in Vermillion County, Ill. Has two children - John A. and Annie M.

WILLIAM McGLASHEN, farmer, P. O. Longton, was born in Scotland in 1841. Emigrated to America in 1860, locating in Washington County, Ill., and in 1861 enlisted in the Twenty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving three years and three mouths; at the battle of Stone River was wounded, and again at Chickamauga was wounded and taken prisoner, and confined at Libby prison at Richmond; was held a prisoner about two months. Received his discharge in September, 1864. He located at Ottawa, Ill. At the end of one year, settled in Jackson County, Mo., and remained there until 1870, when he migrated to Kansas, and located a claim in Howard County, on Sections 5 and 6, Township 31, Range 12. The county was very new, and was sixty-five miles from a railroad; the survey was not made until the following year. His farm contains 120 acres, fifty acres in cultivation, 110 acres fenced; has planted a fine orchard of all kinds of fruits, put up a house 16x26, with ell 14x14, and other buildings. Was married at Pontiac, Ill., to Miss Margaret McKay, in 1865. They have one son, William, Jr. Is a member of Mulligan Post, No. 91, G. A. R, and Superintendent of Elk Valley Sunday school.

A. B. McKAY, blacksmith, was born in Scotland, in 1849. Emigrated to America, in 1855, locating in Washington County, Ill. In 1857, located in La Salle County, and learned the blacksmith's trade. In 1870, migrated to Kansas and took a claim in Howard County, on Salt Creek, before the county was surveyed, and it was ninety miles from a railroad point. After remaining on the claim one year, came to Longton and opened a blacksmith shop, put up one of the first houses in the place, and remained here until 1875, when he bought a farm on Salt Creek in Chautauqua County, on Section 4, Township 32, Range 12, and at once began to improve it. Broke thirty acres, planted 300 apple trees, 300 peach and other varieties; fenced sixty acres, and remained there until 1882, when he again opened a blacksmith shop in Longton. Has a salt well on his place, and during the winter of 1882-83, while drilling, struck a four-toot vein of coal, and a stock company was at once organized to work it, Mr. McKay to receive a per cent on the amount taken out, and to pay one-fourth the expense of sinking the shaft. Mr. McKay is an energetic business man, and the prospect looks bright for him to realize a handsome sum for his investment. Mr. McKay served nineteen months in the Fifty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, enlisting in 1863, a few months before he was fifteen years of age. Was married, in 1872, to Miss Catherine Duneny, of Elk County. They have been blessed with four children - Margaret, Annie, William and Guy. Is a member of Mulligan Post, No 91, G. A. R.

C. W. POSTON, farmer, P. O. Longton, was born in Athens County, Ohio, in 1841. The same year his parents emigrated to Iowa, where the subject of this sketch was raised until seventeen years of age, when he went to Missouri, and remained there two years. In the spring of 1860, settled in Kansas, locating in Douglas County. In 1862, he enlisted in the Second Kansas Cavalry, serving three years and thirty days in active service. He was in the battle of Prairie Grove, Cane Hill, Fort Smith, and many others. After coming out of the army he opened a grocery store in Douglas County. After eighteen months he engaged in freighting across the plains, following this business until 1871, when he settled in Howard County, and took a claim in Longton Township, on the Elk River, on Section 10, Township 31, Range 12. Has 137 acres of choice bottom land, with ninety-five acres under cultivation, 106 acres fenced, thirty-two acres of timber, fine stone barn 30x36, good frame house, 16x32, and an ell 14x18. Has a fine orchard, and is doing a good stock business, shipping and feeding stock, and is raising about fifty head of cattle per annum. Mr. Poston was among the early settlers on the Elk River, and was sixty miles from a railroad point, and twenty miles from a post office. He has been very successful. He started without anything. He was married in 1860, in Douglas County, to Miss Martha McClelland. They have three children - Charles, Carrie and Lizzie. He is a member of Mulligan Post, No. 91, G. A. R., and Longton Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M. Was Treasurer of the lodge for four years. Is a member of Excelsior Lodge, No. 61, I. O. O. F., of Lawrence, and was a member of Longton Lodge, No. 160, K. of H., while the lodge was in working order.

LIEUT. J. C. PINNEY, farmer, P. O. Longton, was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., January, 1829. When nineteen years of age went to Massachusetts; was there nearly seven years. In 1856, migrated to Kansas, locating in Douglas County, and was among the early settlers there. There were no railroads in the State, and the county was ruled and overrun with border ruffians. Pre-empted a claim, and in 1861, enlisted in the Eighth Kansas, Company H. At the end of three months, was transferred to the Iowa Battalion, which had been the Ninth Kansas Cavalry, Company B, serving three years and two months. Eighteen months of the time his company was fighting Indians. In 1856, was Lieutenant under Capt. Rambo, in fighting border ruffians, and was at Lawrence the time the mob came down on that city, and although there were but 117, succeeded in keeping the mob out. After leaving the army sold out, and settled in Greenwood County, while the Indians were still there. Improved a farm, and remained four years. In March, 1869, settled in what is now Elk County, before the county was organized, and took a claim on Elk River. Mr. Pinney was one of the first settlers in the county, and the first in this part of the country. Was 170 miles from a railroad. When the company was organized his claim was on Sections 9 and 16. Was in the first county convention as a delegate, and was nominated for Sheriff, being the first Sheriff elected in the county. Mr. Pinney has a fine farm, well improved, and has raised thirty-five to forty bushels to the acre. Has a fine orchard of five acres; stone house, 18x36, with ell 16x20, two stories in height. Has a fine lot of timber and running water, and is but two miles from Longton. Was married, in 1853, to Miss Mary E. Lufkin, of Massachusetts. They have three children - Edwin, Alice and Fred. Is a member of Mulligan Post, No. 91, G. A. R., Longton Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M. Was a member of the Longton Town Company, and was President for four years. Also a stockholder, and director in the Longton Coal Company.

A. P. SEARCY, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Bedford County, Tenn., in 1825, but was brought up in Richmond, Mo. In I846, he enlisted as a private in Second Missouri Mounted Infantry, under Col. Price, at Fort Leavenworth, and marched to New Mexico, and assisted in putting down the insurrection at Taos. Was in hospital with measles, and unable for duty for four months, and returned home. In 1852, began reading medicine. In 1853, came to Kansas two years before any settlement in the Territory, and for two years taught the Indian Mission School, to the Wyandotte Indians, after which he was in charge of a stock of merchandise in that place, employed by M. T. Somers, and then moved to Somerville, in Leavenworth County, Mo., with his stock of goods. Afterward located in Perryville, Jefferson County, Kan., practicing medicine, and after nine years located in Lecompton, Douglas County, and was there one year. In 1871, he came to Elk County, Kan., located in Liberty Township, and from Liberty to Longton Township, same county, and was elected Probate Judge of Howard County, afterward Elk County. After serving his term moved to Longton, where he has since been engaged practicing medicine. He was married in Platt County, Mo., to Miss Susan Oliphant. They have four children - Mary, Elvira, Orville H. and Jennetta. In 1858, his wife died, and in 1859 he was married to Miss Annie Payne, of Atchison County, Kan., and they have five children - Susan, Mattie, William H., Jennetta and Elizabeth. He is a member of Perry Lodge, No. 52, A., F. & A. M.

JAMES M. WILSON, farmer, P. O. Longton, was born in Adair County, Ky., in 1825. In 1851, migrated to Scott County, Ill. Was one of the early settlers of that county, and remained there twenty-one years. In 1870, migrated to Kansas, locating in Montgomery County before the county had been surveyed. Was among the early settles there, and took a claim in the north part of the county, some ninety miles from a railroad, and improved his place and lived there about seven years. While there he was Trustee of his township for two terms; in 1877, his daughter took a claim on Section 33, Township 3l, Range 12, Elk County, and Mr. Wilson moved on to this farm and improved it. Has a good share of the place in cultivation; thirty acres fenced, has planted an orchard of 225 apple trees, and the same of peach and a variety of other fruits, put up a house and stables, etc., and is raising stock Was married in 1848, to Miss Hamilton, of Kentucky. They have five children~John H., Sabina, Amanda, Lettie and Samuel. Mr. Wilson and wife are members of the Baptist Church.

W. H. WOOD, farmer, P. O. Longton, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, in 1822. When eighteen years of age, settled in Edgar County, Ill., remaining there until 1843. In 1850, migrated to Iowa, locating in Marion County. In 1862, returned to Illinois, and enlisted in the Fifty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving eight months. Was discharged on account of wounds received at Nashville. He then returned to Quincy, Ill., and remained there until 1870, when he migrated to Kansas and took a claim in Howard County, on Sections 26 and 27, Township 30, Range 12, Painterhood and Hitchin Creeks running through the place; fifty miles from a railroad, and but few settlers in the township. Paid high prices for all supplies, salt being worth $6 and $7 per barrel. His place contains 160 acres, with eighty acres in cultivation, ninety acres fenced, a good orchard of five acres; has fine hedge and stone walls. Has been in the stock business, feeding a good many cattle besides the stock raised on the place. Is making a specialty of breeding Bellefontaine stock. Has served four years as County Commissioner, from 1875 to 1879, and was the first Trustee of Longton Township. Was married, in 1863, to Miss E. A. Richards, of Illinois. They have five children - Nockey Belle, Emma, Hattie, Laura, Viola. Is a member of Mulligan Post, No. 91, G. A. R.

[TOC] [part 10] [part 8] [Cutler's History]