|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - GREENFIELD TOWNSHIP (BISHOP - KELSO).
D. J. BISHOP, farmer, P. O. Grenola, was born in Ross County, Ohio, in 1833, where he was raised, living there until 1861, when he enlisted in the Sixty-third Ohio Infantry, Company B, serving fourteen months. In 1863, he joined the National Guards and was out 100 days, and was home but two months from that time, when he was drafted and reported at Columbus, Ohio. He was put on detached duty, taking substitutes to the front in South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee and New York. Coming out of the army, he returned to Ross County and remained there until 1871, when he came to Kansas, locating at Humboldt; soon after went to Neodesha, Wilson County, and was there eighteen months, and thence to Howard County and took a claim on Section 4, Township 31, Range 9. He was seventy-fire miles from market, and there were no improvements near his claim. He has 140 acres under cultivation, the farm all fenced, and two acres of fruit and other improvement'. Has about 400 fruit trees, 200 of which are very fine peach trees, and also has a large variety of small fruits. He was Justice of the Peace four years, and is one of the leading men of the town. He was married, in 1869, to Miss Maggie Ware, of Pike County, Ohio. They have four children - Elener E., Willis K., Percy D. and Charley M. He is a member of Grenola Lodge, No. 86, A. O. U. W., and Chillicothe Lodge, No. 83, I. O. O. F.
I. N. CAMPBELL, farmer, P. O. Grenola, was born in Kane County, Ill., in 1850, and was raised there. In 1868, emigrated to Kansas and located in Labette County. At the end of two and one-half years, located in Howard county, and located a claim on Section 36, Town 31, Range, 9, then about seventy miles from a railroad. He at once proceeded to make a farm, and has added to the original claim, and now has 720 acres of land, 340 of which is under cultivation. Has the whole place under fence, seven miles of hedge, fifteen acres of orchard, barn 32x36, three good houses and plenty of running water, besides several fine springs, timber and everything to be desired on a farm; is very extensively engaged in stock-raising, has 142 head of stock; also buys and ships considerable stock, and handles a great many hogs. Is one of the best stock men in the county and has been very successful. Was married, in 1876, in Elk County, Kan., to Miss E. A. Walworth. Mr. Campbell is a genial gentleman, and very popular in the county.
E. G. DEWEY, wool-grower, P. O. Grenola, was born in Berkshire County, Mass., in 1842. Was raised in Lagrange County, Ind., until nine years of age, and in Ogle County, Ill., from the age of nine until 1860, when he emigrated to Jefferson county, Mo., and was there four years. During his stay in Missouri he served in the enrolled militia of that State. In 1864, he returned to Illinois, locating in Marion County, and engaged in fruit-raising and teaching. In 1871, he came to Kansas and located a claim on Section 26, Town 30, Range 9, and made the first claim in this part of the town. He then returned to Missouri, and took a course at the Missouri State Normal School at Kirksville, finishing in 1873. Was principal of the Salem, Ill, graded and high school in 1874-75. He than remained the most of each year teaching, until 1875, and engaged in sleep raising; the following year, he was elected Superintendent of Public Instruction for a term of two years; in 1877, 1878, 1879-80, he was Principal of the Elk Falls schools, and, in 1881, was Principal of the Howard schools; since then, he has devoted his attention strictly to his sheep. He has 100 acres of his claim under cultivation, planted two miles of hedge, put up a good house, planted a good orchard, and has sheep sheds, etc. He has 700 head of high grade of merino sleep, which he has graded from coarse wool sheep. He has been very successful in his business, his investment paying about 45 per cent per annum. He has eighty per cent of the increase, and the average clip has been six pounds. He also does something in raising cattle. He was married, in 1878, to Miss Jennie Robb, of Elk County. They have one son Ralph E.
A. G. DILLEY, farmer, P. O. Grenola, was born in Lake County, Ind., in 1840, and was raised there until twenty years of age. In 1861, he enlisted in the Ninth Indiana Infantry, serving four years and three months. After coming out of the army, he engaged in the mercantile business until 1871, when he emigrated to Kansas and took a claim in Howard County (now Elk) on Section 25, Town 30, Range 8; was eighty-five miles from a railroad point, where he had to go for all supplies. His claim is watered by the Big Caney River; has added 200 acres, and now has a farm of 360 acres, with eighty acres under cultivation, eighty acres fenced, fifteen acres of timber, good orchard and small fruits, etc. Is raising sheep, starting in 1880 with thirteen, which he increased to 220 in two years, yielding from seven to eight pounds of wool per head, and paying thirty-five per cent, the increase saved being eighty-five per cent. Is also raising some fine short horn Durham cattle. Mr. Dilley is one of the enterprising men of the county and a good farmer. Was married, in 1868, to Miss M. L Wheeler, of Rome, N. Y.; they have two children - Willam A. and Eva A. Mr. and Mrs. Dilley are members of the M. E. church.
WILLIAM DORY, stock-dealer, was born in Allegany County, N. Y., in 1837, but was raised in Leighton County. In 1863, enlisted in the One Hundred and Eighty-eighth New York Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. In 1876, emigrated to Michigan, locating near Grand Rapids, and engaged in farming, remaining there until 1870, when he lost heavily through the failure of Gardner & Armistage, and then emigrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County (now Elk). The survey was not made, and for the first six months had his time with the survey party, then took a claim on Section 6, Town 31, Range 9, on the Big Caney River; was ninety miles from market.. He has added 100 acres to the claim, making a place of 260 acres, situate (sic) one and a half miles north of Grenola, with 100 acres under cultivation twenty acres of timber on the river, making a fine place for stock. The place is all hedged, with an orchard of 400 apple trees, 2,000 peach trees, and a large variety of small fruits. Is raising and feeding 250 head of cattle per year, and since 1876, has been buying and shipping a great many cattle; also has stock in the Grenola Town Company, and has been a Director in the company all the time since. Has put up several fine buildings in Grenola and a good ice-house twenty-two feet square, and is furnishing ice to the town. Has a fine residence on his farm; and in town. Was married, in l858, at Hornellsville, N. Y., to Miss Clark They have one son - William, Jr., who has charge of the stock farm. Mr. Dory is one of the best business men in the place, and a genial gentleman.
C. B. FUQUA, farmer, P. O. Grenola, was born in Hart County, Ky., in 1837, and was raised there until sixteen years of age, going from there to Knox County, Ill. In 1854, emigrated to Jasper county, Iowa, remaining there six years. In 1861, went to Utah, remaining there one year, thence to Nevada, and then to California, and in the spring of 1863, went to Oregon, remaining there three years, enlisting in the First Oregon Infantry, serving nineteen months, mostly on the frontier. After coming out of the army, went to Washington Territory, remaining nearly two years, then for a year or two was traveling, and, finally, reaching Kansas in 1870, was one of the first settlers in Howard County, coming here before the county was surveyed, and took a claim on Section 5, Town 31, Range 9; has improved that and several other places in the county, and at last bought a place on Section 6, Town 31, Range 9. Has sixty-five acres improved, 160 apple trees, and 200 peach and other kinds of fruit, etc. The place is well watered by Caney River, with twenty acres of timber. Is raising a good many cattle, hogs and horses. The place is two miles from market. Was married in Greenfield Township, Elk County, Kan., June 26, 1870, to Miss Nancy A. Weeks, this being the first marriage in the township. They have five children - Roosa A., A. D., Thomas T., Robert F. and Martha A.
E. HAIGLER, farmer, P. O. Grenola, was born in Virginia in 1824; in 1830, his parents settled in Ohio, remaining there about ten years, and thence to Iowa. In 1857, he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Calhoun County, and was among the earliest settlers in the county, and put up the first saw-mill in the county. At the end of two years, located in Miami County. At the end of two years, settled in Coffey County. While there, in 1861, he enlisted is the Second Kansas Infantry, serving six months. He then returned to Miami County, and was there five years. In 1871, he located a claim in Howard County (now Elk) just after the survey was made. His claim is on Section 35, Township 31, Range 9; was seventy miles from a railroad when he took his claim. He has well improved the place, which contains 160 acres, all under cultivation, excepting twenty-one acres of pasture, all fenced, and he has planted a fine orchard of seventeen acres, about the best in the county, and has all kinds of fruits. He takes great pride in his fruit-growing, and besides the common fruits has a few specialties, among which will be found whortleberries. His peach and apple crops are very large. In 1841, he was married in Washington County, Iowa, to Miss Gwin, of that place. They have six children - Mary, Smiley, lsabelle, Erastus, Laura and Clara.
THOMAS P. HAWKEN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Grenola, was born in Logan County, Ohio, in 1844. In 1863, he enlisted in the Thirty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving until August, 1865. He was wounded at the battle of Peach Tree Creek in 1864. In 1869, he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Woodson County, remaining there for one year, thence to Howard County (now Elk), and took a claim on Section 31, Town 31, Range 9; was eighty miles from market, his place lying on the Caney River, he being one of the first settlers there. He has added 260 acres to his original claim of 160 acres, which he has converted into a stock farm. Has plenty of running water and sixty acres of timber, making a fine shelter for his stock. Has 200 acres under the plow and 320 acres fenced. Has a good orchard of 300 apple trees, 1,000 peach and a variety of small fruits. He is extensively engaged in stock-raising and feeding, handling about 100 head per annum. In 1879, he became one of the stockholders in the Grenola Town Company, and was elected the first President, and is one of the Directors at present. He was Chairman of the Township Railroad Committee which secured the railroad through the township. When Howard county was divided, he was appointed the first Clerk of Elk County. In 1873, was Township Trustee of Greenfield. He was married, in 1866, to Miss Brownly, of Logan County, Ohio. They have five children - Alice, S. E., W. R., Bertie M., Dora E. He is a member of the E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R., of Howard.
LIEUT. MATHIAS HOYT, was born near Newark, Ohio, May 17, 1844, where he was raised until seventeen years of age, when he went to Woodford County, Ill., where he enlisted in the Twenty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Served three years and six months. Enlisted as a private soldier and was discharged as Second Lieutenant of Company K. Was with Sherman in his march to the sea. Was in command of foraging party through North and South Carolina. Was surrounded by guerrillas and barely escaped with his life, seven of his men being hung to trees by the roadside. Was in command of Company K, Twenty-sixth Illinois, at battle of Bentonville, North Carolina; his company was first to cross the bridge at Bentonville, North Carolina, under a storm of grape and canister, which caused a loss of one-third of his company.
N. F. JENNE, farmer, P. O. Grenola, was born in Vermont in 1832. When twelve years of age he emigrated to Eaton County, Mich., being one of the early settlers in that County. In 1861, he enlisted in the Second Michigan cavalry, serving three years and a half; was captured near Chattanooga in 1863, and was a prisoner of war for seventeen months, being six months in Andersonville prison. After coming out of the army he remained in Eaton County until 1871, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Elk county (then Howard), and took a claim on Section 18, Township 3l, Range 9, the place being watered by Caney Creek. He has sixty-fire acres under cultivation, with a fine orchard, with all kinds of fruits. He has fifteen acres of timber which affords good shelter for stock. He has about 200 head of sheep of good a grade of Merino, the yield being about seven pounds per head, the investment paying from thirty-five to forty per cent. He has served as Treasurer of the Town of Greefield (sic) for two terms, and is one of the best citizens in the township. He was married in 1851, at Eaton Rapids, Michigan, to Miss Mary Taylor, of that place. They have one daughter - J. C. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
C. A. KELSO, merchant, was born in Morgan county, Indiana, 1834. Learned the carpenter trade, and remained there until 1856, going from there to Illinois, where he followed his trade and bridge building; in 1860, returned to his old home in Morgan County, and engaged in building there until 1861, when he raised Company G, of the Twenty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but would not accept a commission, but served as Orderly Sergeant. Was on detailed duty the most of the time, and made out all the rolls, and was in command of the company during several battles. Was taken prisoner once, and received two wounds, and after serving three years, returned to Indiana, and in the fall of 1865, emigrated to Boone County, Iowa. Was elected Justice of the Peace in Hendricks Township the fall of 1866, and served until he came to Kansas, and first located in Labette County, where he followed his business of building in 1867 and 1868. Built the dam and mill at Oswego, 32x40, put in the machinery, and had charge of it four months; in 1869, located in Howard County, in what is now known as Belleville Township, Chautauqua County, on the Big Caney River. Was the pioneer of that part of the county; was twenty-five miles from any other settlers, and about eighty miles from a railroad point. There were several hundred Indians camping on the river near him when he settled there. His place was in Sections 7 and 8, although at the time of settling there the surrey had not been made. The place was well adapted for stock-raising, there being nearly 100 acres of timber on the creek. He put up a log cabin, and for over a year Sunday school was held there every Sunday, it being the only house which was large enough to accommodate the people. Mr. Kelso cleared twenty-five acres of timber and farmed the place; had 100 acres under cultivation; put out a fine orchard of peach and apple trees; put up stables, cribs and granary; good frame house, 22x30, and for ten years lived on the place, and was engaged in stock-raising to a large extent. Also did a large business in contracting and building, and his first work being Hart's mill, on the Caney River, in Chautauqua County, 24x50, forty-feet high - a large mill for the county at that time; put up the greater portion of the buildings in Oswego, the court house and several buildings in Sedalia, and in 1879, when the L. L. & G. Railroad was built through Elk County, came to Grenola, where he commenced contracting and building, putting up several of the first business houses and dwellings in November of 1879. Engaged in the hardware and implement trade, which he has followed since. Was Chairman of the Convention in 1870, to organize Howard County; served two terms as Trustee and Assessor of his township; was Chairman of the Caney Claim Club, which was organized before there were any officers in the county; and when the city of Grenola was organized, was elected the first Police Judge, serving from 1880, until May, 1882. Was married in 1852, to Miss Mary M. Thurston, of Shelby County, Indiana. They have seven living children - James N., Thomas E., Martha C., Willis D., Ulysses G., Mabelle and Charles L. Is a member of the G. A. R.; of Adams Lodge, No. 36, A., F. & A. M.; Oswego Lodge, No. 63, I. O. O. F.; Grenola Lodge, No. 80, A. O. U. W., and of the Missionary Baptist Church, and was licensed in 1873 to preach, and had two charges in the County.