|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - HOWARD TOWNSHIP (LEWIS - TOPPING).
J. F. LEWIS, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Carroll County, Ind., in 1852, was raised in Adams County, Ill., and was educated at Maplewood High School, Camp Point, Ill. In 1871, he took a medical course at the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, and graduated in the spring of 1872. He then began practice at Jerseyville, Ill.; remained there until 1873, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating at Boston, Howard County, and in company with his father began practice under the firm name of Drs. J. B. Lewis & Son. In January, 1879, they located at Howard, Elk County, and have been in practice since. In 1879, took a course of medical lectures at the Bennett Medical College of Chicago, graduating in the spring of 1880. They have had a large practice since locating in this County, their ride extending twenty miles out from Howard. In 1878, he was united in marriage with Miss Phebe Yancey, of Chautauqua County, Kan. They have one son - Guy. He is a member of Hope Lodge, No. 155, A., F. & A. M., and Howard Lodge, No. 124, A. O. U. W., and of the State Medical Association. He is coroner of Elk County.
S. LUCAS, M. D., was born in Highland County, Ohio, in 1847, and is a great grandson of Gov. Lucas, of Ohio and Iowa renown. In 1865, he began reading medicine and finished his course at the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati. He then emigrated to Kansas, locating in Miami County, but the following year he returned to Missouri, and practiced medicine at Lamar until the spring of 1874, when he again came to Kansas and located at Howard, where he opened a drug store, which he carried on in connection with his practice for five years; he then sold out and has devoted his whole time to the practice of his profession, in which he has been very successful, and engages in extensive practice. The Doctor is a genial gentleman and has many warm friends in Howard and vicinity. He is a member of Hope Lodge, No. 155, A., F. & A. M., was Master of the same in 1879; Howard Lodge, No. 134, I. O. O. F., and is a charter member of the Kansas Medical Society.
GEORGE W. McKEY, merchant and President of the Elk County Bank, was born in Mt. Vernon, Knox County, Ohio, in 1841. In 1856, emigrated to Iowa, locating in Lee County. June 15, 1861, enlisted in the First-lowa Cavalry, serving as Sergeant of Company A; was Ordinance Sergeant of Custer's Cavalry Division from the time it was organized at Alexandria, La., until February 24, 1866. Received his discharge at Austin, Texas. His parents having settled in Pike County, Ill. while he was in the army; he returned home and remained there nntil (sic) 1871 thence to Kansas, locating in Howard County, and took a claim in Union Center Township, which he improved, and engaged in stock-raising until 1878; was considered the model farmer of this part of the country. In 1875 when the county was divided, he was appointed County Commissioner of Elk County, serving two terms. In 1878, went in company with Messrs. Eby and Momma, bankers at Howard, and built a store 25x70 feet, which they filled with a complete stock of general merchandise. He was also elected Vice President of the Elk County Bank. In 1880, they put up as addition to the store of 25x100 feet, and have added to the stock until they now carry the largest stock in the county. Their trade has grown from $30,000 in 1878, to $54,000 in 1882. In the spring of 1882 bought out Mr. Momma, and Mr. McKey became President of the bank. Mr. McKey is a thorough business man, who looks after the details of his business, and knows how hod business stands every day, and has the reputation of being the most thorough business man in the place. He is genial gentleman and a self-made man, he being a great observer of men and facts and takes a lively interest in his town and county. He was married in January, 1867, to Miss Ruth A. Kay, of Mt. Vernon, Ohio; they have two children - Mary E. and George F. He is a member of Hope Lodge, No. 155, A., F. & A. M.
LIEUT. DANIEL McFARLAND, City Marshal, was born in Ross County, Ohio, in 1842. In 1855, he emigrated to Kansas, locating at Leavenworth. In 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Second Kansas Infantry; at the end of five months he was discharged on account of wounds received at Wilson Creek, Mo. After recovering from his wounds he was mustered in as recruiting officer, and in August, 1862, was commissioned Second Lieutenant of Company D, Seventy-ninth United States Colored Troops, serving two years. in 1869, he took a claim in Howard Township, Howard County. He was the first settler on Snake Creek; improving the place remained their (sic) eight years, and located at Howard in 1879. In 1880, was appointed City Marshal, and has held the position continuously since, and is an efficient officer and well qualified for the position. He was married in 1864, to Miss Lizzie Hobbs, of Roseville, Ark. They have four children - Belle, Archy, Austin and John. He is a member of Hope Lodge, No. 155, A., F. & A. M., Howard Chapter, No. 49, of Howard.
JAMES A. McHENRY, attorney at law, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in 1872, remained there until 1862, on his father's farm; thence to Portage County, Ohio. Took a course in Hiram and Mount Union colleges. In 1868, commenced reading law, and was admitted to the bar in Painesville, Ohio, in 1869; then emigrated to Charleston, Coles Co., Ill., and began the practice of law, and in 1870 came to Kansas, locating in Wilson County, where he was engaged in law practice until 1882. In 1876, he was elected County Attorney of Wilson County, serving two years; was City Attorney of Neodosha for one term, and was editor of the Free Press at that place. In June, 1882, he located at Howard, where he opened an office for the practice of law, and in company with R. Simons organized Elk County Immigration Co., for the purpose of settling up the county. They have 12,000, acres of wild and improved land ranging from $200 to $20,000 per farm, consisting of grazing, grain, bottom and up land, and can suit men of moderate means as well as men of ample means, in the selection of a farm, and take great pains in showing strangers around the country whether they buy or not, and willingly answer all letters of inquiry, taking great pains not to overdraw the natural advantages of the country. Mr. McHenry and his partners are energetic men, and will be sure to make a success of this great enterprise. They also loan money on short time at a low rate of interest; also issue a quarterly sheet entitled the Real Estate Index, which they send to all parts of the United States and to Europe. In 1872, Mr. McHenry and Miss Myra G. Warren, of Lexington, Mo., were united in marriage. They have been blessed with three children - Josephine, Lee Ella and J. A., Jr.
N. MOMMA, merchant, was born in Prussia in 1832; emigrated to America in 1854, locating in New Jersey. In 1856, removed to Illinois, remaining there seven years; the most of the time was in the grocery business in Chicago. In 1866 went to Missouri, where he was engaged in railroad contracting. In 1869, came to Kansas, locating in Wilson County, where he engaged in the mercantile trade, remaining there three years; thence to Longton, Elk Co., and opened one of the first stores in the county. In 1876, was elected County Treasurer, the first Treasurer elected in Elk County, serving two terms. In 1877, in company with Mr. Eby, opened the Elk County Bank, and in the following year, in company with Mr. Eby and Mr. McKey, opened the Elk County store, and was with them until the spring of 1882, when he closed out his interest, and bought a building 25x85, which he filled with a choice line of general merchandise, and is building up a large trade; has been very successful here, his trade having grown about 500 per cent since he came to the county. Was married in 1854, to Miss Fredericka Marzedus, of Prussia; they have four living children, viz., Frances, Valentine, Minnie and Gertrude. Is a member of Longton Lodge, No (sic) l9, A, F. & A. M. and Howard Chapter, No. 49, St. Bernard Royal Arch.
D. NEWBY, stock raiser, P. O. Howard, was born in Henry County, Ind., in 1838, where he was raised and lived until 1870, where he was engaged in farming and teaching, also reading law, and was admitted to the bar in 1869. He enlisted in August, 1861, in the Thirty-sixth Indiana Infantry, serving one year, when he was discharged on account of disability. In 1870, he emigrated to Kansas, and bought a farm on Elk River, Section 19, Township 30, Range 11. He was among the early settlers, and has 490 acres on Mound Branch Creek, with seventy or eighty acres of timber, making a fine place for stock. Has 130 acres under cultivation, 250 acres are fenced, and he has two orchards planted; is raising stock, keeping from thirty to forty cows, and is doing some dairying. Also owns several buildings at Howard, two of them being business houses, the most of them being improvements made by him. He was married in 1869, in Henry County, Ind., to Miss Mary E. Smith, of that county; they have one son, Frank E.; he is a charter member of E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R. Mr. Newby is a public spirited citizen, and takes a lively interest in all public matters.
J. W. OGLE, farmer, P. O. Lima, was born in Morgan County, Ind., in 1842, but was principally raised in Pike County, Ill. August 11, 1863, he enlisted in the Ninety-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving six months, when he was discharged on account of disability. He afterward served in the Mississippi River Marine Fleet., under Gen. Elliott, of Illinois, fighting guerrillas. He received a severe gunshot wound to his right shoulder, at the battle of Eastport, Miss., on the Black Bayou, five miles from Eastport, in 1864. On February 12, 1865, he received his discharge and returned home. In 1868, he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Johnson County, and improved a farm of 160 acres, and afterward bought a stock farm of 440 acres; remained there until 1882, then came to Elk County and purchased a farm of 480 acres on Sections 16, 20 and 21, Township 30, Range 11. He also located a claim of 160 acres adjoining the place, and expects to increase the farm to 1,000 acres, and intends making stock-raising a specialty. At present he has 225 head of cattle at the home place, but has only hogs on the old piece in Johnson County. This place he expects to put some extensive improvements on, with the intention of making it the leading stock farm of the county, as he has plenty of grazing lands, living water and timber. He has been very successful in his enterprises, having started in business with a capital of $500, which he increased to the present large business through his energy and good management. He was united in marriage February 12, 1861, to Miss Permelia McClintock, of Pike County, Ill. On February 2.7, 1879, was married the second time to Mrs. Margaret J. Garrett (nee Davison), who was born in Durham, Eng., August 1, 1845, and emigrated to Washington, D. C. in 1850, and came to Kansas in 1857, and has remained here since, her father being among the first settlers of Johnson County. He is a member of the Masonic Order.
JOHN A. OLIPHANT, attorney, was born in Johnson County, Mo., June 1, 1849. In 1863, enlisted and served one year in the United States Volunteer Cavalry, and during the entire time was engaged in fighting bushwhackers in the West and Southwest Missouri. In 1868, migrated to Kansas and settled in Neosho County, where he engaged in farming for three years. In 1871, took a trip through southwestern and back through the south part of the State and assisted in locating the town of Boston in the center of old Howard County (now Elk and Chautauqua Counties), building the first house and selling the first goods in the place, remaining in the business about one year. A short time after Boston was started, what proved to be one of the most bitter county seat wars in the State was begun and prosecuted with great determination, and the subject of this sketch being very desirous to make Boston the county seat, began reading law in order to be better qualified in furthering his project. Was admitted to the bar in 1874, but in 1875 the county was divided, completely killing Boston, thus putting an end to his project of making a city of the place. He then located at Howard and began the practice of law, and finished his law course in the Law Department of the Michigan State University, Ann Arbor, since which time, has been practicing law in Howard. In 1878, was united in marriage with Miss Martha Greer, of Topeka, who was teaching school in Howard. Mr. Oliphant is a member of Howard Lodge, No. 134, I. O. O. F., and E. M. Stanton Post, No. 123, G. A. R.
JOSEPH H. O'NEILL, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Howard, was born in Ross County, Ohio, in 1840. In 1858, at the age of eighteen, he came to Kansas, locating in Topeka. In 1861, he enlisted in the Second Kansas Infantry six months; he then enlisted in Second Cavalry, serving three years; was scouting on the frontier the most of the time. In 1867, he came to Howard County and took a claim on the Elk River. There were but two other claims in the township at that time. The survey was not made and the treaty with the Indians was not completed. He was forty-five miles from a post office and twenty-three miles from a mill or blacksmith shop. There were a great many Indians, and several times he was obliged to watch his property with a gun and a large dog. He has 200 acres in Section 11 and 120 on Section 14, Township 30, Range 10; 120 acres under the plow and all fenced but forty acres; has sixty acres of timber, plenty of fruit, 150 apple, 300 peach and a variety of small fruits, good house and a fine stone quarry on his place. He has also a good coal mine which eventually will be a big thing, as he is only half a mile from Howard. He has done well since coming here. He was married in 1866, in Topeka, Kansas, to Miss Wendel. They have four children - Annie L., Alvin B., Della and Harvey. He is a member of the E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R.
FRANK OSBORN, real estate and loan agent, was born in Ohio in 1850, remaining there until twenty years of age, when he came to Kansas, locating in Howard County, taking a claim four and a half miles northwest of where the town of Howard now stands, on Section 20, Township 29, Range 10, which he improved, and at one time while living there, lived on roasted corn, and corn coffee and prairie chickens. In 1871 and 1872, was engaged in putting up claim houses. In 1873, was appointed Deputy Sheriff, and in the fall of 1874 was elected Register of Deeds, and held the office when the county was divided in 1875, and was captured by a band of armed men who came to capture the records, and was the only officer who saved a part of the records, which he did by hiding under some old clothing! He then engaged in handling real estate, and bought an interest in the Longton Mills for one year. At the time the county was divided was appointed County Scribe by a special act of the Legislature and still holds the office, there being no provisions made for discontinuing the office. About this time he became identified with a company in Indian Territory, who were shipping walnut lumber to Boston, and was in this about one year. Was also engaged in lumbering in Arkansas, and sawed and shipped large amounts of yellow pine flooring into Iowa, Kansas and Missouri. Also had a large contract for furnishing lumber for the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad Company, getting the timber of the Indians in the Indian Territory. Is also connected with a company which was organized to work coal mines in the Indian Territory, and made arrangements with the Creek and Cherokee Indians, in which he secured a twenty years lease of one and a half miles by six miles in the Creek nation. The coal is used by the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad Company. They will open up this year, this being the largest grant ever secured of the Creek nation. Besides this he has 1,447 acres on the Elk River, which he is converting into a stock farm. There are sixty acres of timber, plenty of water and 200 acres under cultivation. There is range for from 300 to 500 head of cattle and in the spring of 1883 will put over 300 head of Ohio calves and some Jersey cows. Has seeded sixty acres of blue grass, which he claims will shorten the feeding season nearly two months. Mr. Osborn has over $300,000 of Eastern capital loaned in Elk, Chautaugua and adjoining counties, at a low rate of interest, and was the first man who succeeded in getting Eastern capital to loan on rough and unimproved lands, and this after repeated efforts. Mr. Osborn is one of the best business men in the county, and has been identified with the largest business enterprise of the county, and although a young man has accumulated a large amount of property, and with nothing but his hands to commence with. Mr. Osborn is a very social gentleman.
JOHN RAMBO, farmer, P. O. Howard, was born in Mercer County, Penn., 1832, living there and in Erie Counties, where he took a course at the Waterford Academy. In 1856, migrated to Kansas, and stopped at Lawrence until the city was sacked, then went to Osage County, and bought a farm and engaged in farming. Soon after he settled here, was appointed County Clerk, and held the office two terms by appointment, and was elected for the third term but did not finish, and the war broke out and he enlisted early in 1861, and resigned the office. After serving three months in Company I, Second Kansas, the only mustered company in the regiment, it was re-organized as a cavalry, and he served on the plains scouting until the summer of 1863; then served in the Fifteenth Kansas Infantry until the fall of 1865; was mustered as Orderly Sergeant. After coming out of the army, was clerking in Leavenworth; then, in company with another party, started a store at Williams' Mill, on the Missouri River, furnishing supplies for the railroad, which was being built. Then, in 1867, was employed in Williams' Mill as book-keeper, and at the end of one year bought the mill. After running the mill there two years, moved it to Howard, locating on the Elk River, where he ran it for a number of years. Also took a claim on Section 1, Township 30, Range 1, joining the town site of Howard, and laid out a few acres in town lots. Also bought a farm in Greenwood County, with forty acres of timber, and well watered, and is engaged in stock-raising. Was married in 1876, in Greenwood County, Kan., to Miss Jennie Kenedy. Is a member of E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R., and of Burlingame Lodge.
M. H. STEWART, carriage manufacturer, was born in Winnebago County, Ill., in 1849. In 1854, his parents migrated to Minnesota, locating in Houston County, where he lived the most of the time until 1870. In 1866, went to La Cross, Wis., and learned the trade of carriage maker. In 1870, migrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County, and took a claim one mile east of the present town of Howard. There was but one building in Howard at that time. After remaining on his place two years came to Howard, and in company with Mr. Jones put up the first carriage and wagon shop in the place. At the end of two years bought out his partner, and has since carried on the business alone. In 1883, enlarged his shop, and added more workmen, and is now making a specialty of light spring wagons and buggies. In 1876, was united in marriage with Miss Eliza Benden, of Elk County. They have three children, viz.: John, Rose and Jennie.
W. L. STRACHAN, harness dealer and stock-raiser, was born in Lemont, Cook Country, Ill., in 1846. In 1862, enlisted in the Board of Trade Regiment, of Chicago, serving a little over three years. Was wounded at the battles of Vicksburg and Franklin. After coming out of the army, took charge of his father's farm for one year, then went to work for the Ames Engine Works, at Oswego, N. Y. From there went to Chicago, and was employed as shipping-clerk for the Rock River Paper Company, remaining there nine years and three months; but his health failing he came to Kansas, locating in Howard, and opened a harness shop, his sales increasing from $1,500 to $10,000 per annum, keeping three and four men at work all the time. Is also connected with his father and brother in the stock business. They have about 500 head of cattle, and 920 acres of a stock farm, running up to within a mile of Howard, and lying on the Elk and Paw Paw Rivers. They are among the largest stock men in the county. Was married December 24, 1872, to Miss Henrietta Fogue, of Chicago. Is a member of E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R.
GEORGE THOMPSON, County Clerk, was born in Medina County, Ohio, in 1837. When twenty-one years of age he settled in McLean County, Ill., where he remained until 1871, when he came to Kansas, locating in Howard County, taking a claim in Center Township. Was one of the first settlers in this township. Improved the place, remaining there four years. In the fall of 1875, was elected County Clerk of Elk County, the first Clerk elected after Howard County was divided, and has held the office continuously since, serving now on his fourth term, and is very popular with the people of this county, being a courteous gentleman, and well qualified to fill the position. Also owns a fine stock farm on Elk River, consisting of 400 acres, with 100 acres under the plow, with 200 fenced, and plenty of fresh running water and timber, which makes a very desirable stock farm. He was married in 1860, in Medina County, Ohio, to Miss Mary Perin. They have ten children - Orin B., Allie E., Louis E., Clarence E., Leora E., Sumner G., Harry D., Oliver J., Orlow T. and Mary. He is a member of the Masonic Order.
ASA THOMPSON, chief editor and proprietor of the Courant, was born in Morgan County, Ohio, March 21, 1829. The early years of his life were spent with his parents on the farm and in attending school. In 1848, he moved to Iowa, and was engaged in farming and milling. Coming to Kansas in March, 1872, he opened a hotel at Canola, and then at Boston, in which business he continued until 1875, and in November of that year was elected District Clerk for Elk County, in which capacity he served until January 1, 1881. His term of office having expired, he established a newspaper at this place in August, 1881, called the Elk County Herald and in October of the same year, purchased the Courant, and suspended the publication of the Herald.
W. I. THOMPSON, Sheriff, was born in Allegheny County, Penn., in 1835. In 1853 migrated to Iowa, locating in Scott County, where he worked at the blacksmith's trade, remaining there three years. Then went to Missouri, residing there four years, when he returned to Scott County, Iowa, and further, to Page County, remaining there until 1877, then settled in Kansas, locating in Howard, where he opened a blacksmith shop, after which he engaged in the mercantile business. In 1881, was elected Sheriff of Elk County. In February, 1882, formed a partnership with J. B. Dobyns, in general merchandise, hardware and farm machinery, and they are doing an immense trade, as Mr. Dobyns and Mr. Thompson are both thorough business men, and are very popular in the county. Mr. Thompson is a courteous gentleman, and in the discharge of his duties receives the respect of all. In 1856 was married to Miss Fulmer. They have eleven children, viz.: Cristina, George, Ben, Catherine, Isabelle, Arthur, Nellie, Martin, Frank, Jonathan and Borzell. Is a member of Hope Lodge, No. 155, Howard Lodge, No: 134, I. O. O. F., and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
P. C. TOPPING, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Lewis County, N. Y., in 1835, but was raised in Ohio until l850, then moved to Wisconsin, locating in Waterloo, and after taking a three years course in Lawrence University, took up the study of medicine; part of the time was engaged in teaching. Finishing his course at the Eclectic University, Cincinnati, graduating in 1879. In 1860, he came to Kansas, locating near Baxter Springs and was the first physician in this part of the country. Thence to Franklin County, and in the summer of 1862, enlisted in the Twelfth Kansas Infantry, serving three years. The greater part of the last two years was Hospital Steward. After coming out of the army remained in practice in Franklin County until 1867, when he located in Greenwood County, remaining one year, then to Howard County, and took a claim near the present town site of Howard, and was the first physician to locate in the county. He was a member of the Town Company, and helped lay out the town site of Howard, where he was living. In 1857, he was married to Miss Mary Crandall, of Grant County, Wis. They have seven children - Charles J., Philetus, Frederick, Dora, Mary, Clark and Austin. He is a member of the E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R., of Meridian Lodge, No. 54, A., F. & A. M., and Howard Lodge, 134, I. O. O F.