|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - HOWARD TOWNSHIP (ASHMORE - HUGG).
R. N. ASHMORE, Probate Judge, was born in Clark County, Ill., in 1833, and was raised in Clark and Vermillion Counties until 1856, thence to Iowa, locating in Story County. In March, 1862, enlisted in the Fifteenth United States Infantry, serving three years as private. After coming out of the army returned to Vermillion County, Ill., remaining until 1866, thence to Kansas, locating in Neosho County, where he took a claim and improved it. Was a good ways from market. In 1870 he came to Howard County and located in Wild Cat Township, and took a claim and lived there until 1877, when he was elected Probate Judge of Elk County, and has held the office continuously since, and is elected for the fourth term, giving universal satisfaction. He was married in 1855 to Virginia Cooper, of Vermillion County, Ill. They have four children - Hitchings, S. A., Ellen and Elizabeth B. He was married again in May, 1877, to Miss Annie Payne, of Elk County. They have three children - R. N., Jr., Annie and Lee. He is a member of the E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R., of which he is Commander. He is a member of Elk Falls Lodge, A., F. & A. M. and of Howard Lodge, No. 134, I. O. O. F., and Howard Chapter, No. 49. Mr. Ashmore was elected President of the Elk County Sabbath School Association in 1878, and has been reelected each year since and still holds the position; was elected Superintendent of the Howard Union Sabbath School in April, 1877, and has been re-elected each year since; was elected Chairman of the Howard City School Board in August, 1880, for three years; as Superintendent of the new school building built in 1882, 40x80 feet, two stories high.
DAVID BAKER, farmer, P. O. Howard, was born in Maine in l819. When nineteen years of age he emigrated to Canada and lived in Canada and Michigan until 1850, when he settled in Lee County, Ill. From there settled in Black Hawk County, Iowa, remaining there until the spring of 1871, when he came to Kansas, locating in Elk County, taking a claim on Section 23, Township 3?0, Range 10. He was forty-five miles from a railroad point, twenty-five miles from a mill, and with all the drawbacks connected with the settlement of a new country. His place is situated on Mound Branch Creek, and is a nice stream formed by numerous springs. He has planted a fine grove of maples and cottonwood trees and a fine orchard of apples, peaches and a variety of small fruits, and a nice little vineyard. Has sixty-fire acres in cultivation, good stone house and is raising stock to some extent. He is a pleasant and hospitable gentleman and highly respected by all. He was married in 1844 to Miss Rebecca Abell, of Canada. They have seven children living - Martha A., Abelina, Olive, Ella, Arthur D., Alwilda and Allena. He is a member of the Baptist Church.
NOYES BARBER, Clerk of the District Court, was born in Stark County, Ohio, in 1840, and was raised in Clark County, Ill. In 1861, he enlisted in Company H, the Twenty-first Illinois Infantry, for thirty days; he then enlisted in Thirtieth Illinois, Company F, and served four years more, serving most of the time as Quartermaster Sergeant and Commissary Sergeant. After coming out of the army he located at Kansas City, and was in the stove and tin trade; came from there to Wyandotte and was employed as a salesman, and afterward engaged in the grocery business; then returned to Kansas City and was in a wholesale dry goods house for three years. In 1873, he came to Elk Falls, Howard County and engaged in the mercantile business. In 1880, he sold out and was elected Clerk of the District Court and was re-elected in 1882, being nominated both by the Republicans and Greenbackers and endorsed by the Democrats. He owns a farm of fifty acres near Elk Falls, and has about sixty head of cattle on the place. He was married in 1872, at Kansas City, to Miss Sarah N. Adams. They have four children - Clarine, Edwin, May and Neva. He is a member of the Elk Falls Lodge, No. 126, A., F. & A. M.
J. Q. BURCHFIELD, merchant, was born at Chillicothe, Ross County, Ohio, 1846, but was raised in Howard County, Indiana; in April 1861, enlisted in the Fifteenth Indiana Infantry, serving three years and three months. Was mustered out as Sergeant. In 1870, migrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County, and put in a stock of hardware at Longton; was among the pioneer merchants of Howard County, and remained at Longton until 1876. After the county was divided was the first Sheriff of Elk County, serving two terms. In 1879, put in a stock of exclusive hardware in Howard, also handles farm machinery, has a building 24x140 well filled with goods. The first year's sales were $20,000, while the sales for 1882 were $60,000. Carries the largest stock in the county, besides a branch at Longton. Mr. Birchfield is a good business man, and owns two good farms besides his other business. Is a wide awake citizen and a courteous gentleman. Was married September, 1865, to Miss Mahala S. Smith. Their children are, Ulric D., J. Q., Jr., C. N., Clyde, Brenton and Oria. Is a member of Longton Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M.
THOMAS BRUCE, merchant, was born in Ireland, in 1829, emigrated to America in 1845; located in Greenville, Ky., and after attending school one year was employed in a dry goods store until 1858, when he went Into business for himself at South Carrolton, remaining there until 1866; was then elected County Clerk, serving two terms of four years each, then engaged in the mercantile business again until the spring of 1876, when he sold out and came to Kansas, located at Howard, and bought a building 25x75 feet, and put in a large stock of goods, consisting of everything to be found in a general store, there being 150 feet of shelving. Has worked up a good trade, growing 300 per cent in six years, or at the rate of fifty per cent per annum. Mr. Bruce has been very successful and is a thorough business man and a good citizen. He was married in 1864 at South Carrolton, Ky., to Miss Sarah E. Howard. They have six children - Nellie, Henry, Oscar, Mamie, Maud and Lena. He is a member of the Masonic order.
D. L. CAMPBELL, County Treasurer, was born in Kentucky, in 1824. He was raised in Adams County, Ill. Went to California at an early day, but did not remain long then returned to Illinois, and was in the mercantile business for ten years. In 1863 he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Bourbon County, and opened a store of general merchandise at Mapleton, remaining there until April, 1869, when he was burned out and came to Howard County, now Elk, and bought a farm in Union Centre Township, on the Elk River, which he converted into a stock farm, consisting at the present time of 700 acres, eighty acres of it timber and plenty of water, making one of the best stock farms in the county; well stocked with cattle and hogs. In the fall of 1879 he was elected County Treasurer. re-elected in 1881. Is very popular as an officer and citizen, being a pleasant gentleman and a good neighbor as well as a thorough business man. In 1849 he was married to Miss Martha Fruit. They were blessed with four children - Ann R.. Charles, Thomas and Ada Belle. In 1867 his wife died, and in 1871, he married Mrs. Eliza Rauch, of Burlingame, Osage County.
L. A. CARVER, farmer, P. O. Howard, was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., in 1842, but was raised in Kane County, Ill. On September 18,1861, he enlisted in the Eighth Illinois Cavalry, serving as Orderly Sergeant of Company I, and was in the service three years and eleven months. He was wounded near Frederick City, Md., in July, 1864, and while in the battlefield, was taken prisoner, but made his escape soon after. After coming out of the army, he returned to his old home and remained there until 1870, when he emigrated West and engaged in the mercantile business in Missouri. But at the end of six months, he became a resident of Kansas, locating in Howard County. He was sixty miles from a railroad point and located one of the first claims on the prairie in this township. His claim is on Section 29, Township 29, Range 11. He has improved his place of 160 acres by fencing, putting eighty acres under cultivation and planting three acres of forest timber, a fine orchard and several miles of hedge, and for a number of years past has been engaged in the stock business. He served as Justice of the Peace for two terms. He is a thorough business man and one of the best posted men in the township. In 1868, he was united in marriage to Miss Jennie M. Fraizer, of Winnebago County, Ill.
THOMAS M. CARTER, farmer, P. O. Howard, was born in Crawford County, Ill., 1849. January, 1863, enlisted in the Ninety-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served two years and seven months. After receiving his discharge, he located at Decatur, Ill., and then back to his old home, and in January, 1869, migrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County before the county was organized, and located a claim on Section 7, Township 29, Range 11, on the Elk River. He has 240 acres of land, one-fourth mile from the town site of Howard. At the time of settlement it was 150 miles from a railroad and had to go that distance for feed and provisions. Mr. Carter has fenced 200 acres, has about thirty acres timber, two acres of orchard and is raising stock; has one of the best stock farms on the river. In 1875, was married in Howard Township to Miss Catharine Moore. They have four children - Noble, J. B., Samuel C. and R. S. Is a member of E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R., and of Hope Lodge, No. 155, A., F. & A. M.
JOHN COILE, farmer, P. O. Western Park, was born in Greene County, Tenn., in 1829. At the age of twenty years, he located in McLean County, Ill., where he engaged in farming, remaining there until 1872, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County. At the time of his settlement here, he was sixty miles from a railroad point. He was one o( the pioneers of this township, locating a claim on Section 6, Township 29, Range 10. He has since added to his place, increasing his farm to 320 acres, which he has improved by fencing the whole place, putting seventy-five acres under cultivation, planting a fine orchard and erecting good buildings, and is engaged in stock-raising. He is one of the thorough farmers of this section and is highly respected by all. He was married in 1853 to Miss Sarah Ball, of McLean County, Ill. They have nine children living, namely, Mary C., Snowden, America M., Henry, Nancy A., Rhoda A., William H., Charles B. and Owen A.
A. CRISMAS, farmer, P. O. Howard, was born in Surrey, England, in 1820. Was raised In Kent County emigrating to America in 1844, locating in Toronto, Canada, where he remained until 1856. Thence to Buffalo, N. Y., and the following spring migrated to Iowa, locating in Howard County, where he remained until 1871, or about fourteen years. In 1871, came West, locating in Howard County, Kan., and located a claim in Howard Township. After remaing (sic) on the place four years, sold out and purchased a farm on Section 12, Township 30, Range 11, consisting of 240 acres situated on Hitchin Creek. His place has forty acres of fine timber, two coal mines with four-inch veins, plenty of living water, 110 acres in cultivation, fine residence and other buildings. and he is extensively engaged in stock-raising. Is one of the leading men of the township and a No. 1 citizen in every respect. Was married in 1847 to Miss Catharine Welch, of Toronto, Canada. They have ten children - J. W., Jane, Mary A., William J., Ellen M., George, Harriet, Agnes A. and A. A. He is a member of Elk County Horticultural Society.
HON. J. B. DOBYNS, merchant, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, August 24, 1844. In 1847, his parents moved to Iowa, remaining there until 1854, when they came to Kansas locating in Linn County. In 1861, he enlisted in the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, Company E, his father being Captain, and served from July, 1861, until January, 1865, as Second Corporal. His father was killed, and he returned home and carried on the farm until 1869, when he located in Howard County and opened a store at Union Centre and was one of the oldest merchants in the county. In 1877, was elected a member of the Legislature and sold out his business, and in 1878, came to Howard and was employed as salesman in the Elk County store one year. In 1879, opened a hardware and general merchandise store, which he carried on until the spring of 1882, when W. I. Thompson, County Sheriff, became a partner in the business. They have a store 24x80 feet, well filled with goods, and have a splendid trade. The first year's sales were $15,000, while the sales for 1882 ran up to $40,000. They also handle farm machinery. Mr. Dobyns is the present Township Trustee, School Treasurer and Secretary of the Howard County Agricultural Society and was Township Trustee and Clerk nearly all the time he was in Union Centre, and has been prominently identified in the politics of the county. Is public-spirited and always takes hold of any enterprise which will benefit the county or town. Is Under-Sheriff of the county; is a member of E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R.; is Secretary of Hope Lodge, No. 155, A., F. & A. M.; member of Howard Chapter, No. 49, and of Howard Lodge, No. 135, 1. O. O. F. Was married in 1868, in Linn County, Kan., to Miss E. S. Thompson. They have four children - Lillie, Annie, Ella and Frank.
A. F. EBY, cashier of Elk County Bank, was born in Franklin County, Penn., in 1844. In 1857, he moved with his parents to Indiana; in 1862, enlisted in the Fifty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving fifteen months. Then served one year in the Fortieth Indiana Infantry. After the war, he engaged in the grocery and provision business at Marion, Grant County, Ind., for about one year. Then took a two years' course at the Roanoke Academy, after which he taught school about three years. From 1868 to 1871, was in Cass County, Mo., coming from there to Kansas, locating in Howard County, and took a claim in Union Centre Township, entered and improved the same and lived there three years. Was elected Assessor of the township two terms. In 1875, when the county was divided, was appointed Treasurer of Elk County. serving two terms. In 1877, in company with Mr. Momma, organized the Elk County Bank with a cash capital of $10,000. Mr. Eby assumed the management of the same and has been cashier continuously since. In 1878 he formed a copartnership with Mr. Momma and Mr. McKey in the banking and mercantile business, and in 1882, Mr. Eby and Mr. McKey bought out Mr. Momma's interest. The banking room is commodious, with a large vault, 6x8 feet, and safe guarded by the Yale time lock, with desks, tables, etc., so arranged as to be convenient, and is well lighted. The capital stock has been increased to $25,000, and is a credit to the county; it is the oldest bank in the county. Mr. Eby is a pleasant gentleman, and has made a host of friends since he has been in the business. He was married in 1872 to Miss A. E. Anderson of Anderson, Indiana. They have four children - James W., Walter M., Gertrude and Benny. He is a member of the Masonic order, and both Mr. and Mrs. Eby are members of the Congregational Church.
R. F. GLENN, Register of Deeds of Elk County, was born in Vermillion County Ill., in 18S7. He was raised on a farm and worked at farming and brick making until thirteen years of age, when he started in the world for himself, working summers and attending school winters until seventeen years of age, when he began teaching, teaching until twenty-one years of age, when he came West and located at Cedar Vale, Chautauqua Co., Kan. In 1880, he took a trip to Colorado, but soon after returned to Kansas, locating at Grenola, and was employed as a salesman in the general store of C. D. Murphy. In January, Mr. Murphy sold out to Hewins & Titus, and Mr. Glenn continued with the new firm until January, 1882, when he came to Howard and took his present position having been elected in the fall of 1831. Mr. Glenn is a thoroughly self-made man, and by close attention to business and his known reliability, was placed in the best office in the county before he had been a resident two years. He is a good business man, and has a bright future before him. He is a member of Howard Lodge, No. 134, I. O. O. F.
J. R. HALL, editor and proprietor of the HowardJournal, was born in Princeton, W. Va., December 10, 1849. His father was a lawyer of ability, with whom he lived until 1865, at which time he removed to Elkhart County, Ind., and followed the real estate business for nearly eight years. This business he gave up when he emigrated Kansas in 1873. After coming to Kansas, he was engaged in various pursuits, clerking in drug store, etc., until in 1880, he started the Howard Clipper, at Howard City, and in the fall of that year bought the Howard Journal, of which he is now the popular editor and proprietor.
JAMES HAMILTON, stock-raiser, P. O. Howard, was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1842. In 1862, emigrated to America, locating in Ohio, where he was employed as bookkeeper. In 1863, went to San Francisco, Cal., and was employed as bookkeeper at different places for a time, when he secured a position in the Quartermaster's Department at Fort Biddle, Cal., remaining there nearly three years, when he was removed to Camp Halleck, Nevada, remaining there until 1870, when he, in company with another party, bought a stock of Texas cattle and came to Kansas, where they commenced feeding and shipping stock. Was located at Emporia and had a ranch in the southwest part of Lyon County, handling about 500 head per annum. He sold out his interest in Emporia and came to Howard and bought a farm of 160 acres, lying on Elk River, in Section 12, Township 30, Range 12. Has a fine body of timber on the river, which makes a desirable place to shelter stock, and has arranged his feeding yards there to accommodate 500 bead of cattle. His place is considered one of the best in Southern Kansas for stock. Has 106 acres under plow; has a fine blue grass meadow. The place is nearly all fenced with stone wall; has a fine peach orchard and small fruits; neat frame house, good barn, and only one-half mile from Howard. Besides feeding and shipping 500 head of cattle per annum, buys and ships about as many more, and raises and ships from 300 to 400 hogs per annum. Is one of the best stock men in the State and has been very successful, starting in this county without a dollar. By close attention to business, he has made a showing which is not only a benefit to him, but to the public at large, as he is one of the largest tax-payers in the county. In 1881, was united in marriage with Miss Sarah D. Campbell, of Howard. Mr. Hamilton is a member of the Masonic order.
H. E. HUBBELL, liveryman, was born in Owen County, Ind., in 1842. In 1862, he enlisted in the Ninety- seventh Indiana Infantry, serving three years. He was wounded at the battle of Jackson, Miss., and at the battle of Kenesaw Mountain, Ga. In 1866, he emigrated to Marshall County, Iowa, where he engaged in contracting and building. In 1870, he located in Howard County, Kan., and took a claim on Section 34, Township 28, Range 10; he was one of the early settlers, worked at his trade and lived on his farm until 1875. In 1871 he succeeded in getting a post office established in his neighborhood called Paw Paw, and was appointed Postmaster; held the office two years, when his wife was appointed and held the office two years. During 1873-74, he was Deputy Sheriff of the north part of the County. In 1875, he sold out and opened a store at Howard, remaining in business two years; when he was appointed Under Sheriff, and served three years. In 1880, clerked in Mr. Adams' store, and in 1881, clerked in the Elk County store, and then for nearly a year was in the loan and real estate business. In 1882, he engaged in the livery business, which he is now carrying on. He was married in 1862, in Owen County, Ind., to Miss Mitchell, of that county. They have five children - Alice, Mary, Annie, G. L. and H. H. He la a member of E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R, Howard lodge, No. 134, I. O. O. F., Howard Lodge 124, A. O. U. W.
JOHN HUGG, stock-raiser and farmer, P. O. Howard, was born in Morris County, N J. In 1831. When fifteen years of age he settled in Montgomery County, Ill., and engaged in farming and stock-raising; remained there the most of the time until 1870, When he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County, now Elk. He was among the first settlers of the county; took a claim on Sections 22 and 23, Township 30, Range 10, Mound Branch Creek, the survey was not made then, and this was the first claim taken in this part of the county; there was not an officer in the County. He was among the voters in the first election held in the county. He was the first man married on the creek, and raised the first crop consisting of corn, wheat, potatoes and watermelons, in Wild Cat Township. He was eighty miles from a railroad point and twenty-five from a mill, post office or blacksmith shop, and for a number of years was forty miles from market. Mr. Hugg is one of the largest land owners in the county. He has 1,600 acres of land in one body, watered by the creek and Elk River, 160 acres of timber; 365 acres under under (sic) cultivation; 740 acres of pasture, and 335 acres of meadow, and a nice orchard of 400 bearing apples trees, 1,000 peach trees and a large variety of small fruits and grapes. He has 150 head of cattle, and raises 150 head of hogs annually. He is one of the most enterprising men in the county, and has been very successful in his business projects. He is a man highly respected, and served as Trustee and Assessor of his township five consecutive terms. In 1882, he was elected County Commissioner for a term of three years. He was united in marriage with Miss Helen M. McClure, of Howard County, in the fall of 1870. They have four children - Charlotte, the first white child born in Wild Cat Township, Samuel, John, Jr., and Frank. He is a member of Hope Lodge, No. 155, A., F. & A. M.