|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (PALM - REYNOLDS).
ANDREW PALM, President of the Lawrence Plow Company, was born near the city of Lund, Sweden, April 30, 1835, where he received his education. After leaving school, he was apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade for four years, receiving his graduation papers from the Mechanical Association of Lund October 5, 1855. He then worked as a journeyman at his trade in Oslof and Guttenburg about two years. In 1857, he emigrated to the United States and located for a time in Massachusetts. In 1858, he moved to Kansas, and settled at Bloomington, Douglas County. He worked at his trade there, and, in 1861, he bought an interest in the saw and grist mill, and they were then operated under the firm name of Hyde, Swain & Palm until 1862, when Mr. Palm settled in Lawrence. The firm of Wilder & Palm were really organized that year, though the business was not established until Mr. Palm returned from Sweden, where he went, in 1862, to obtain mechanics to erect their eight-horse-power wind grist-mill. Mr. Palm was married in Lawrence August 4, 1864, to Miss Charlotte Peterson, a native of Sweden. They have three children - William L., Blinda E. and Nettie C. Mr. Palm is Treasurer of the Scandinavian Society.
J. B. PARNHAM, proprietor of the Kaw Valley Marble Works. This business was established in 1857 by Filton & Rickards. Mr. P. took charge of the business in 1867, and has since continued to do a large and increasing trade. His specialty is designing and manufacturing family monuments and vaults, though engaged in work of all kinds, monumental and architectural. He employs from five to seven men, and does a business of about $16,000 annually. J. B. Parnham was born in Lincolnshire, Eng., January 6, 1842. His parents came to the United States in about 1855, and settled in Peoria County, Ill. In 1858, J. B. commenced the marble-cutting trade in Missouri. In 1860, he returned to Illinois, and, in 1862, enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He then returned home and engaged in clerking until he moved to Kansas in 1867. Mr. Parnham was married in Leavenworth, Kan., in March, 1867, to Miss Dora G. Bailey, who died May 18, 1878, leaving five children, of which four survive - Arthur L., Charles D., Roy A. and Ralph Emerson. He was married to his present wife in Lawrence March 27, 1879. She was Mrs. Rachael A. Cowen, daughter of Joseph Shields, Esq., of Lawrence. Mr. P. is a member of the Lawrence Lodge, No. 4, I. O. O. F., Mount Oread Encampment, and of the Grand Lodge of the State of Kansas. Is also a member of Washington Post, No. 12, G. A. R., and has done as much to improve the city of Lawrence as any of its citizens.
GEORGE E. PATRICK, M. S., professor of chemistry, mineralogy and metallurgy, Kansas State University, was born in Milford, Mass., October 22, 1851. He received his early schooling in his native county, preparing for college at the Milford Academy. Entered Cornell University in 1869, taking the full course in chemistry and physics. He graduated in 1873 with a degree of B. S. Was engaged as instructor in the department of chemistry about one year. In 1874, had conferred upon him the degree of M. S. The same year he moved to Lawrence, Kan., to take the chair of chemistry and physics in the State University. The chair was divided in 1877, Prof. P. retaining chemistry, and having his work broadened by the addition of mineralogy and metallurgy. Prof. Patrick was married in Lawrence, Kan., June 19, 1879, to Miss Hattie E., daughter of A. C. Lewis, Esq.
JOHN B. PATNO, barber, born near Keesville, N. Y., August 25, 1848; moved to St. Albans, Vt., in 1861; went to New York in 1864, and there learned his trade; came to Kansas in 1880, and settled in Lawrence. Established business in 1881; gives four hands constant employment.
Dr. J. D. PATTERSON, dentist, was born in Ashland County, Ohio, February 9, 1847. He was educated in his native county, and, in 1864, began his professional studies in the office of a practicing dentist in Mansfield, Ohio. In 1867, he moved to Kansas and settled in Lawrence, where he has since been engaged in practice. Mr. Patterson is one of the charter members of the Kansas State Dental Society. Held the position of President of the society two years. Is now and has been for several years Secretary.
L. S. PEARCE, hay business, established in 1871; wholesale and retail. His press has a capacity of ten tons per day. The annual cut put up is about 500 tons, which is mostly consumed in town. He cuts from 500 to 600 acres of grass each year, 160 acres of his own and the balance rented. L. S. Pearce was born in West Killingley, Conn., October 27, 18942. His parents moved to Rhode Island when he was about five years old, and he then attended school until 1855, when his parents moved to Kansas and settled in Kanwaka Township, Douglas County. They landed in Lawrence April 3, and after prospecting three or four days made a claim. In 1862, L. S. enlisted in Company B, Twelfth Regiment Kansas Volunteers, and served until the close of the war, taking part in all the marches and engagements of his regiment. On his return home he was engaged in farming, in which profession he was actively engaged until he established his present business. He was married in Lawrence in 1875, to Miss Sarah Hollinsbery, of that city. They have three children - Rosa, Gordon and Olive.
W. H. PENDLETON, retail dealer in staple and fancy groceries, and wholesale produce dealer. The business was established in 1866, by Theodore Poehler, and he was succeeded by Henry Kesting. In August, 1881, Hase & Pendleton bought out Kesting, and January 1, 1883, W. H. Pendleton bought out Herman Hase. He occupies two adjoining buildings, 50x100 feet in area, with an additional store room in the rear, 50x100 feet. His cold storage rooms have a capacity of several cars of butter and eggs. He employs fifteen hands at present, and during the busy season this force is increased to twenty-five or thirty men. The total business will aggregate over $100,000. Mr. Pendleton was born in Williamsburg, James City Co., Va., July 22, 1858. In 1866, he moved to Cumberland, Md. Here he commenced his business life in a grain commission house, his employers operating a flouring mill at the time also. He was engaged at times in the latter. In 1879, he moved to Kansas and settled in Lawrence, and was engaged for a time in flouring mills, and then took a position with Theodore Poehler, which continued until the organization of Hase & Pendleton. Mr. Pendleton was married in Lawrence, May 17, 1882, to Miss Matilda, daughter of Theodore Poehler, Esq., of Lawrence.
J. R. PERSHALL, proprietor of the Eldridge House, was born in Canandaiga, Ontario Co., N. Y. His parents settled in Ohio, on the Michigan line, about 1846. He completed his education at the Leoni College, Michigan. In 1852, he went to Shakopee, Minn., where he engaged in clerking in a hotel and trading with the Sioux Indians, also clerking a time on the Mississippi steamers. In 1858, he accepted a position as clerk in the Merchants' Hotel in St. Paul, Minn. About 1860, he moved to Milwaukee, Wis., where for four or five years he held the position of chief clerk in the Newhall House. In 1866, he removed to New York City to take a position in the office of the Merchants' Dispatch Fast Freight Line. About 1870 or 1871, he was given the charge of the Western agency of that company with headquarters at St. Paul, Minn. In 1876, he moved to Kansas, locating in Junction City, where he ran the Allen House until 1881; he then took a lease of the Eldridge House, Lawrence. Mr. Pershall was married in New York City, February 11, 1867, to Mrs. Emma Ansley Gray, a native of Ohio. They have two children - Sam and Jessie. Mr. Pershall is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and of the National Hotel Keepers' Association.
F. M. PERKINS, President of the Western Farm Mortgage Company, was born in Racine County, Wis., June 21, 1846. He received his early schooling in his native county, finishing his classical studies at Beloit College, Beloit, Wis. He then took a business course at the Spencerian College in Milwaukee, Wis. In 1870, he engaged in bookkeeping in a wholesale mercantile establishment in Chicago. He afterward followed the same business in Milwaukee for a time and then engaged in mercantile business in that city until 1875, when he moved to Kansas and settled in Lawrence. He then engaged in clerking in a loan and real estate office until the Western Farm Mortgage Company was organized, of which he was elected President. Mr. Perkins was married in Sedalia, Mo., May 15, 1878, to Miss Alice James, of that city. They have one child, Otis E. Mr. Perkins is a member of Lawrence Lodge, No. 6, A., F. & A. M.
L. H. PERKINS, Secretary of the Western Farm Mortgage Company, was born in Racine County, Wis., March 5, 1855. He was educated at the Beloit College, Beloit, Wis., where he took the ancient classical course, and also made special studies of mathematics, botany and mineralogy, graduating in 1877. He immediately afterward settled in Lawrence, Kan., where he commenced reading law in the office of Judge Thatcher. He was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1879, by Judge Stephens. In the spring of 1880, he also completed a special course of law and received the degree of LL. B., from the Kansas State University. On the formation of the Western Farm Mortgage Company, he was elected Secretary, and has had charge of the entire legal business of the company. Mr. Perkins was married in Lawrence, Kan., May 15, 1882, to Miss Clara, eldest daughter of Dr. R. Morris, of that city. Mr. Perkins is a member of the Beta Theta Pi Society.
R. J. PETTY, dealer in staple and fancy groceries and provisions. The business was established in 1876. He employs one clerk, has one delivery wagon, and carries a stock of about $1,000. Mr. Petty was born in Oakland County, Mich., January 16, 1841. The family moved to McHenry County, Ill., in 1856, thence to Morgan County, Mo., and in 1861, they settled in Linn County, Kan., where they engaged in farming. R. J. enlisted in September, 1861, in the Sixth Regiment Kansas Volunteers, and was captured at Mazzard's Prairie, in July, 1864, taken to Texas, and kept until the close of the war. In 1865, he settled in Lawrence, engaging in farming until 1870. He then opened a meat market, which he continued to operate until he established his present business. He was married in 1874, to Miss Jennie Cole, daughter of Hiram Cole, Esq. Mr. Petty is a member of the City Council, also of Excelsior Lodge, No. 6, I. O. O. F., and Washington Post, No. 27, G. A. R.
LUCIEN PETTINGELL, dealer in heavy and shelf hardware, stoves, tinware, etc., business originally established in 1864. Present proprietor succeeded Bennett & Burke in 1881. The store building has ground dimensions of 25x80, with an extension of 25x35 feet, the main building having two stories and basement, all occupied by the business. The stock carried averages $12,000, and six men are employed in the manufacturing department. Lucien Pettingell was born in Terre Haute, Ind., March 24, 1861. In 1868, his mother settled in Lawrence, Kan., where Lucien received his schooling, and in 1872, commenced clerking in the hardware busines, in which he continued until he bought out his present business.
DR. E. D. F. PHILLIPS, physician and surgeon, was born in Martinsville, Morgan Co., Ind., August 7, 1841. His parents moved to Richland, Keokuk Co., Iowa, about 1849. He returned to Hamilton County, Ind., in 1850. In 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Fifty-seventh Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until February 3, 1865. He was attached to the Second Division in the Fourth Army Corps, and participated in the Atlanta and Nashville campaigns. For some two years of his service he was detached and served in the hospitals. On leaving the army, he returned to Indiana and finished his education at the Union High School, Hamilton, Ind., and afterward engaged in teaching. In 1870, he settled in Tonganoxie, Kan., where he engaged in the drug business. He commenced the study of medicine in 1873, and graduated from the Kansas City Medical College in the spring of 1876. He then returned to Tonganoxie and engaged in practice until 1879, when he settled in Lawrence. Dr. Phillips was married in Peru, Miami Co., Ind., December 24, 1868, to Mrs. August (Flagg) Burroughs, of that town. They have four children - O. Carl, Lola M., Ethel E. and Fletcher. Dr. Phillips is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, also of the State Medical Society and the E. A. U.
E. B. PIERSON, of S. P. Pierson's Sons, proprietor of Pierson's Mills, was born in Batavia, N. Y., April 2, 1856. He moved with his parents to New York City, and from there to Illinois, and finally settled with them in Lawrence in 1874. Here he worked under his father, who was operating the Delaware Mills, and continued with him until his death. E. E. Pierson, of the above firm, was born in Batavia, N. Y., February 2, 1861, and was educated at the common and high schools in the East. In 1874, he settled with his father in Lawrence. Here he took a special course at the State University. While pursuing his studies he was actively engaged in his father's mill, and continued with him until his death.
REV. H. R. PINCKNEY, born in Beaufort, S. C., January 25, 1857, son of Moody Pinckney and Sarah Pingle. He grew up there, and was educated for the ministry at Howard University, Washington, D. C., and Lincoln University, Oxford, Penn., and studied theology at Tuscaloosa, Ala., graduating in the class of 1876. He was engaged in school teaching for five years. He came to Lawrence in 1881, and became pastor of the Congregational Church (colored) and has since acted in the capacity. Mr. Pickney was married in Eutaw, Ala, July 24, 1877, to Miss Laura A., daughter of Balmon Nepten and Matilda Coleman. They have one child, Nellie L., born August 24, 1882. Mr. Pickney is the Secretary of the Lawrence Ministerial Association, and is highly esteemed for his modest deportment and intelligence as a Christian gentleman.
THEODORE POEHLER, senior member of the firm of T. Poehler & Co., was born in Lippe Detmold, Germany, December 25, 1832. He received a good business education in Germany. In 1850, he emigrated to the United States, locating in New Orleans; shortly afterward, settled in Burlington, Iowa. He engaged in farming for a time, then became connected with mercantile establishment, first as porter then as clerk. In 1855, he commenced business for himself in Burlington, and continued there until 1866, when he removed to Lawrence, Kan., and, in company with his brother, August Poehler, he established a large wholesale and retail grocery business. The firm was dissolved in 1869. He, after a time, re-commenced business, which he still manages. He was married in Burlington, Iowa, April 9, 1855, to Miss Sophia Kuoner. She died in 1871. Of this marriage, there are five children surviving - Matilda, Emma, Theodore, Clara and Louis. Mr. P. was married to his present wife March 20, 1872. She was Miss Sophia Tappe, of Lawrence. They have one child living - Bertha. Mr. Poehler was elected County Treasurer in 1871. In 1875, he was elected county Commissioner. In the latter capacity, he was chosen Chairman of the Board.
SYLVESTER B. PRESTISS, M. D., was born in Chester, Mass., May 4, 1817. His education was acquired in the common and academic schools of New York and Massachusetts. During six or eight years, he divided his hours of study between works of literature and books on medicine until 1844, when he was awarded a diploma in New York. His medical studies were pursued under the supervision and instruction of Dr. Daniel Bellows, of Norwich. He began the practice of his profession in Coventry, N. Y. In 1846, his health being impaired, he moved to Jackson, Ga., where he engaged in practice. Anticipating the struggle between the North and South, he determined to change his residence, and in the spring of 1855, he moved to Kansas. After making a tour of the territory, he settled in Lawrence, and immediately engaged in practice, in which he has since continued, with the exception of an interval of two or three years, when he was obliged to retire on account of ill health. In the early history of Kansas, he was noted both as a physician and a patriotic Free-State man. November 27, 1855, he was commissioned Surgeon General of the Kansas Volunteers, by Maj. Gen. Robinson. December 1, 1857, he was commissioned, by Gen. J. H. Lane, to the same office. February 12, 1858, he was elected by the Legislative Assembly to be Surgeon General of the Kansas Militia. At the commencement of the rebellion, July 17, 1861, he was appointed by Gov. Robinson a Commissioner to examine applicants for the office of Surgeon for the regiments of Kansas Volunteers. In accordance with the provisions of this commission, he was ordered, as President, to call together the Board of Surgeons to examine applicants, the order being dated January 12, 1862. This position he held during the war, declining the position of Surgeon of a regiment, which was tendered. He was married October 24, 1839, to Miss Louisa Brooks, of Norwich, N. Y., who died, leaving two children - Joseph L., now a practicing physician, and Louisa B., now Mrs. William A. Simpson. Dr. Prentiss was again married April 14, 1847, to Miss Mary N. Converse, of Conventry, N. Y., who died, leaving two children - Ella A. and Frank. He was married to his present wife in Lawrence, June 21, 1867. She was Miss Annie J. Soule, a daughter of Hon Amasa Soule of that city. They have one child living - Charles A. Dr. Prentiss is a prominent member of the State Medical Society, having been the first regularly elected President of the society. He was a charter member of the first Masonic lodge organized in Lawrence. He has been a member of the Baptist Church since 1837.
HON. JOHN K. RANKIN, old settler, was born in Cass County, Ind., November 3, 1837. He was educated partially at Wabash College, Ind.; then entered the college at Iberia, Ohio, from which he graduated. On leaving college, he removed to Kansas, settling in Lawrence May 1, 1859. In May, 1816, he enlisted in Company C, Second Kansas. He was soon afterward promoted to a Lieutenancy, and gallantly participated in the battle of Wilson's Creek. Subsequently, he served as an Aide-de-Camp to Gen. Mitchell, and took part in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, and generally in the campaigns of the Army of the Cumberland. He was in Lawrence on the eventful morning of August 21, 1863, when the place was robbed and burned, and 180 men and boys murdered, and, in connection with his cousin, Capt. W. A. Rankin, successfully encountered six of the guerrillas in a fight with revolvers in the open street; driving them off after wounding two men and several of their horses. In 1865, he was appointed Paymaster and Inspecting General, with the rank of Colonel, holding the position during Gov. Crawford's two terms. In 1859, he was Doorkeeper in the Council in the last Territorial Legislature, and Engrossing Clerk in the House in the first State Legislature. In 1866, he was elected a member of the House of Representatives. He has been a member of the City School Board of Lawrence, and was Mayor of the city two terms. He has been largely engaged in the mercantile business. He was a member of the Board of Directors for the Lawrence Land & Water-Power Company, and Treasurer and Director of the S. & L. & S. W. Railroad. He is at this time connected with the Pension Department at Washington, D. C. Mr. Rankin was married March 21, 1866, to Miss Laura Finney, daughter of Rev. Thomas Finney, of Martinsburg, Ohio, a prominent minister of the Free Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Rankin died May 12, 1875, leaving two sons.
HON. WILLIAM A. RANKIN, farmer, was born at Ripley, Brown County, Ohio, September 15, 1832. He was educated in his native town, and learned the trade of carpenter and builder, and followed that occupation in Mississippi two years, 1850-51. Returned to Ohio, settled in Columbus, and was engaged in contracting and building from 1851 to 1853, when he removed to Edgar County, Ill., where he engaged in dealing in real estate as well as continuing his former business until 1856, when he moved to Kansas, settling on a farm claim near Black Jack, Douglas County, in the spring of 1857, where he remained, engaged in dealing in real estate, farming and stock-raising, until after the breaking-out of the war. In 1859, he was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives from Douglas County, and served in the regular and special sessions of 1860. He was especially active in the passage of what was known as the Emancipation Resolution. Portions of the years 1860-61 and 1862, he spent in mining in Colorado. While there he was elected a member of the House of Representatives, serving one term. Returning from Colorado in the winter of 1862-63, he received a commission as recruiting officer, and was engaged in raising troops for the war until July, 1863, he received a commission from President Lincoln as Assistant Quartermaster of Volunteers, with the rank of Captain, and was ordered to the Army of the Cumberland, then at Chattanooga, Tenn. August 21, 1863, while at Lawrence awaiting the aforesaid, he, with J. K. Rankin, was charged upon by six of Quantrill's guerrillas in an open street. Promptly returning their fire, a lively fight ensued, resulting in the wounding of two guerrillas, and putting their party to flight. He was assigned to duty with the Second Brigade, First Division of Cavalry, commanded by Gen. E. C. McCook. He was soon after promoted to be Division Quartermaster, with the rank of Major, which position he occupied until the army was ordered upon the Atlanta campaign, in which he served as Chief Quartermaster of the cavalry command. In these various positions, he served on the staffs of Gens. Elliott, Stanley, McCook, La Grange, Croxton and Wilson. He outfitted Gen. Wilson's command of 25,000 troops at Eastport, Miss., and Waterloo, Ala., for his grand raid through Mississippi, Alabama, Florida and Georgia. July 7, 1865, he was assigned to duty on the staff of J. H. Wilson, as Purchasing Quartermaster for the military district of Columbus. July 27, he was appointed Chief Quartermaster of the same district on the staff of Gen. J. T. Croxton, with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, in which capacity he served until March, 1866, when he was honorably discharged. At the close of his military service, he was appointed Chief Clerk of the Southern Indian Superintendency, holding the position about two years. Since that time he has been engaged in various pursuits, merchandising in Lawrence, in Government contracts, trading with Indians; dealing in stock and real estate, coal mining and railroad contracting. He was married in Columbus, Ohio, February 23, 1852, to Miss Phebe D. Ward, by whom he has had seven children, five of whom survive - Julia A., Low, Don J., Harry and Fred. Mr. R. is a member of the Congregational Church.
FRED W. READ, dealer in staple and fancy dry goods; the business was established in 1857 by Bullene & Read; the firm dissolved in 1862. He employs four to six clerks, carries a stock of about $10,000, and does a business of from $30,000 to $35,000 annually. F. W. Read was born in Bedford, Westchester County, N. Y., December 25, 1831; when about ten years old, his parents settled in Southport, Wis., now known as Kenosha, where he received his schooling. In 1847, he commenced clerking in Kenosha, and continued there until 1853, when he moved to Chicago. In 1855, he engaged in the mercantile business in New York City, operating a grocery business. In 1857, he sold out and moved West, settled in Lawrence the same year. Mr. Read was married in New York City, September 13, 1857, to Miss Amelia A. Rockwell. They have one son - Lathrop B. Mr. Read is a member of the Congregational Society. He is also a P. G. of Lawrence Lodge, No. 4, I. O. O. F. During the war, he was connected with the Third Regiment of Home Guards, and is one of the very few who escaped at the terrible Quantrill massacre in Lawrence, August 21, 1863. Having sold dry goods in Lawrence for twenty-six consecutive years, he ranks as the oldest dry goods merchant in the State of Kansas.
W. S. REED, proprietor Memorial Art Works; business established in 1880, is engaged in the manufacture of cemetery work, his specialty being family monuments and vaults. He has his own designer for all his work. He employs from twelve to twenty men, and does a yearly business of about $30,000. W. S. Reed was born in Lawrence County, Penn., June 26, 1854, and received a common school education in his native county. When a boy, he learned the trade of nail making, which he followed in Lawrence County, and afterward in Wheeling, Va., where he took a course of study in the Commercial College in the evenings after his day's work was done. In 1879, he came to Kansas, located for a time in Newton, Harvey County, and from there moved to Lawrence in 1880. On the 29th of December, he married Miss Ella B. Casebeer, of Ottawa County, Kan., a lady seventeen years of age, whose parents moved from Illinois to Kansas in 1866, since which they have resided in Ottawa County.
J. L. REYNOLDS & CO., dealers in staple and fancy groceries, provisions, etc. The firm is composed of J. L. and his son T. A. Reynolds; the business was established in December, 1881; they employ two men, and carry a stock of from $2,500 to $2,000. J. L. Reynolds was born in Campbell County, Tenn., January 12, 1830, the same year his parents moved to Ray County, Mo., and in 1840, to Livingston Connty (sic). The subject of our sketch went to California in 1849, where he engaged in mining and merchandising. In 1851, he returned to Missouri, and resumed his farming operations. In 1861, he enlisted in the Seventh Regiment Missouri Cavalry, was commissioned First Lieutenant of Company L. In 1863, he resigned on account of sickness. The same year, he engaged in mercantile business in Laclede, Linn Co., Mo., and continued there until 1879. He then moved to Kansas and kept the Monroe House at Humboldt until the fall of 1881. Mr. Reynolds was married in Sacramento City, Cal., in December, 1849, to Miss Seeds, of Madison County, Ill. They have seven children living - Thomas A., Robert N., Alice A. (now Mrs. H. C. Coppell), Ella M., Sarah E. (now Mrs. H. C. Walters), Emma L. and Charles E. Mr. Reynolds is a member of Washington Post, No. 12, G. A. R., and of the I. O. O. F. of Missouri. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.